PDA

View Full Version : TV: The Big Bang Theory

Munsu
Tue, 09-23-2008, 01:39 PM
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/1146/bigbangtheoryew7.jpg

I started watching this comedy a couple of weeks ago, and I thought it was good. I think quite a few here would get a kick out of this one, especially those of you that like to play online role-playing games as there are quite a few jokes centered on them... among other geeky stuff.

It stars Johnny Galecki (Roseanne) and Jim Parsons (Judging Amy) as the two main geeks, and Kaley Cuoco (8 Simple Rules... for Dating My Teenage Daughter, Charmed) as the hottie. There's also Simon Helberg (Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip) who plays my favorite character of the series, and the last geek Kunal Nayyar.

Here's one of my favorite scenes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJoJn5M2Ov8

Anyways, season 2 premiered last night. Haven't seen it yet. Any of you follow this series?

Created by writer/producers Chuck Lorre (of Two And A Half Men) and Bill Prady (of Gilmore Girls) comes The Big Bang Theory, a sitcom that shows what happens when hyperintelligent roommates/physicists Sheldon and Leonard meet Penny, a beautiful woman moving in next door--and realize they know next to nothing about life outside of the lab. Rounding out the crew are the smarmy Wolowitz, who thinks he's as sexy as he is brainy, and Koothrappali, who suffers from an inability to speak in the presence of a woman.
The show distinguishes itself by being unafraid to toss scientific references and technobabble into an otherwise standard sitcom, even employing a physicist to keep things accurate. In doing so, it allows Sheldon and Leonard to do for science what Frasier's Crane brothers did for fine dining, art, and opera.
Theme Song: "The History of Everything" by Barenaked Ladies
http://www.tv.com/the-big-bang-theory/show/58056/summary.html?q=big%20bang%20theory&tag=search_results;title;1

Assassin
Tue, 09-23-2008, 06:51 PM
i've watched it from time to time...its a nice series, though the character of sheldon i thought was too geeky initially...almost unrealistically so. But over time he's grown on me. I can't say i've seen all the episodes, but its a fun show to watch when you're in the mood for some light geek oriented comedy.

Foomanchew24
Tue, 09-23-2008, 07:08 PM
I dislike the characters more than I like them, thus I can't really stand to watch the show.

TwisT
Tue, 09-30-2008, 04:57 AM
How much did you watch? Because i must say that this shows grows on you. Even though i started out with liking it i now love it. The characters where kind of awkward at first and so where the humor (not used to geek humor to be used so openly i guess) but now it's one of the episodes i watch first. I have 7 episodes to watch Monday night/Tuesday morning. And this is usually my first or second pick. Today it was my second. First was Boston Legal. And i watch the episodes in order of what i feels most excited over.

If you watched just 1 episode you might think about giving it another chance. I'm not one to watch alot of sitcoms but this one i think is probably the best i've watched since Friends.

Munsu
Tue, 09-30-2008, 08:05 AM
I can sympathize with what Foomanchew is saying, as I myself don't like the characters myself. But I like the comedy that comes because of them. After watching a full season, you start liking them somewhat.

But TwisT, best since Friends? Come on.

TwisT
Tue, 09-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Well ok that might have been an exaggeration. but it's the best one that i watch on a regular basis. How i met your mother and Two and a half men is of course better. But since i only watch random episodes every now and then on TV i can't say i really follow it. So in that way it's the best since Friends ;)

If you have any other examples of great sitcoms that came after Friends, be my guest. I have the memory of a gold fish!

Penner
Tue, 09-22-2009, 03:57 PM
New season has started (damn theres alot of awesome shows coming back now & in the near future!).

Awesome as always, and way to go Leonard!

The Chancellor
Wed, 09-23-2009, 01:35 PM
But TwisT, best since Friends? Come on. Yeah I'm kind of offended by that Friends is legendary comedy now.

Thank god leonard finally got some from Penny. Good for him. I think the best part was when they entered the apartment building looking how they did.

Munsu
Wed, 09-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah I'm kind of offended by that Friends is legendary comedy now.

Thank god leonard finally got some from Penny. Good for him. I think the best part was when they entered the apartment building looking how they did.
Friends is awesome, there simply have been better comedies than Big Bang since then.

And yeah, great for Leonard... but things just got wierd. I kinda wish they kept their beards though.

The Chancellor
Fri, 09-25-2009, 12:59 AM
Friends is awesome, there simply have been better comedies than Big Bang since then.

And yeah, great for Leonard... but things just got wierd. I kinda wish they kept their beards though. Friends is epic. Few shows can come near it. There are some, but the list is short. I agree it'll be weird now especially left as a teaser for us to think about what's going through Penny saying that it was infact weird.

And yes I completely agree on you with the beards. Although I have to say, Leonard was looking a little Charles Mansonish for me to accept him that way. Raj looked bad ass though. It just added to his cultural character build. He can pull it off.

Penner
Fri, 09-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Aye, Friends is legendary, its way up there along with Seinfeld.

Penner
Tue, 11-17-2009, 02:12 AM
Omg this ep was epic!

Penner
Tue, 03-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Give us the precious!