PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping habits - Discuss

Buffalobiian
Thu, 09-18-2008, 07:18 AM
I've always been thinking about how other people sleep (sounds sorta wrong..meh), and what others think to be a "healthy" or a "good" sleeping habit. What about how many hours you sleep? Set times? deprived, then catch up? Are you and early bird or a night owl?

I've always been a late-night person. Since uni started two years ago, that's been even more so. I don't sleep earlier than 11 unless I'm sick...night just seems to be such a more eventful time than mornings. This semester I've had to get up at 6:30am every day to get to classes, and it's never enough sleep for me.(when I say earliest is 11, I mean it's usually more like 12, 12:30). So now I've also developed the habit of sleeping whenever I go in a bus or any moving vehicle, whether I'm actually tired or not.
Weekends I catch up a little, but it's a bit hard to break the pattern.

Assassin
Thu, 09-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Im in the same boat as you....currently i've cut back to sleeping by 12 or 1, but in recent months (particularly during the summer) staying up past 3 was a norm. But now, thanx to early morning classes i only get a few hours of sleep....even if i get home early and have nothing to do, i can't sleep until night time. And even then, i usually push it to 12 or 1 again for some reason. Going to sleep any earlier seems like a waste of a night, depiste the fact that im usually browsing GW or streaming tv shows when im up.

KitKat
Thu, 09-18-2008, 11:46 AM
I've had just about every sleeping schedule possible. I've done the university student sleep deprivation thing for a few years, I've been completely nocturnal for a while, I've had an early morning schedule, etc. I seem to be pretty adaptable in that I can adjust my schedule to what I need. In general though, I like to get 8 hours of sleep a night. These days, I'm on a 6:30am wakeup for morning classes.

As for sleeping attire, I have a secret addiction to Hello Kitty pyjamas. Don't ask me why. I just have to buy them when I see them. I have warm fuzzy snowboarding Hello Kitty ones, dragon-print capris, ones with little hearts and stars in shorts form, and a couple other regular pyjama ones, each with matching shirts. It's the kind of thing I wouldn't be caught dead wearing out in public, because I'm not one of those girly girls, y'know? But somehow, the pyjamas are just too cute not to wear.

Animeniax
Thu, 09-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Are you getting all verklempt, Buffalo?

I used to be able to sleep 6 hours a night and function all day just fine. Now in my middle years I can't survive an entire work day on less than 7 hours. I'll make it through, but my brain is mush and synapses don't seem to fire. I realized I lived a large part of my social life that way, so people think I'm a dullard. When I get enough sleep, my mind's quick as a whip.

I usually sleep in shorts and undershirt. I tried sleeping naked, too weird, went back to shorts and undershirt.

TwisT
Thu, 09-18-2008, 02:14 PM
I usually sleeps nude. Or in the cloth i'm wearing when i went to bed. I only go to sleep with my cloths on when i don't actually plan to sleep but end up dead after a while anyways. Like when you lay down to watch a movie or tv show and for some reason just get dead tired in minutes. But when i undress i go all the way. Well if i have company or stay at someone elses house i of course have underwear on.

I'm more of an night owl. I have always, even as a kid, having a hard time sleeping in the night and get sleepy first when the sun rises. And even when i try my best to turn the day around and go to bed at 10pm or something it only takes a few days for me to get back to my old pattern and go to bed around 4am-10am.

XanBcoo
Thu, 09-18-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm like some of you, in that I have to wake up quite early for classes on most days. My usual sleep schedule is about 7 or 8 hours, but on early-waking days, I'd only get about 5 or 6.

On weekends I get 12 or 13. Really depends on how I'm feeling when I open my eyes.

I tried sleeping naked, too weird, went back to shorts and undershirt.
I'm so with you on this one. I don't know how some guys sleep naked.

I tried it once, and I can tell everyone that I much prefer my inventory neatly packed away or at least contained while I'm sleeping. Soooo uncomfortable...

So yeah, plaid pajama pants for me. Shirt is optional, but entirely preferred. My brother sleeps in his jeans every night and I don't know how he can stand it.

The Heretic Azazel
Thu, 09-18-2008, 02:54 PM
When I get enough sleep, my mind's quick as a whip.

Really, you should try it sometime.

Now that I don't have a job I stay up anywhere from 3 to 7 and get about 8 good hours of rest. Generally I get hot easily, so I like just wearing boxers. I'm not keen on the sleeping naked thing either, it feels unnatural to me.

David75
Thu, 09-18-2008, 03:19 PM
My work patterns have me wake up around 6:30. And I need 9 hours of sleep.

When I was a student, I was up till 2 am and my wake up was at 6:19 sharp to avoid advertising on the radio (the only thing to wake me up). Yup something like 4-5 hours was enough at the time.
But even a hard working student, managing voley-ball, cycling, ju-jitsu, roller-blading and so on wasn't as tired as the worker he became...

As for nights, it's underwear and mandatory socks... cold feet prevent me from sleeping and I wake up sneezing with a cold lasting 2 or 3 days. Even in the hotter days of summer, even with 35° Celsius or more in the room.

Also, my sleep is of a bad quality, probably explaining why my needs doubled. Will try to cure that someday, if I get enough confidence in a surgeon who will have to butcher things in my throat and so on...

Board of Command
Thu, 09-18-2008, 03:26 PM
I usually sleep at 1-2 AM and wake up at 8:30-9:30.

I sleep topless with underwear.

Ryllharu
Thu, 09-18-2008, 03:45 PM
I was always a morning person (the curse of living on the east side of the house with no shades for 18 years). Thanks to a high school commute that involved the bus picking me up at 6am, I started getting up even earlier. College helped a little because I was always staying up to the 11pm-1am range, but that still only got me to 7:30am. Now that I'm working a first shift salary job, I wake up at 4:30am. All of this...without an alarm (but I do set one).

I usually make it with 7 hours or less.

I don't think I've ever slept to 10am, and the one time I slept to 9:30 was because I had the flu.

Attire: Topless with underwear, unless it's one of those really cold nights, then I put on some loose sweatpants. I've only slept with shirts on when I was drunk.

Death BOO Z
Thu, 09-18-2008, 04:23 PM
I was good & fine until the past few months...

in highschool, i'd go to bed around midnight, and then wake up at seven.
in the army, i'd sleep from when they tell me, until when they tell me to (plus a few guard towers in which they specifically told me not to, so I did anyway).
Now everything is messed up...
I used to have decent sleep habits, on weekends, I'd usually get to bed around 3 or 4... late enough to go out, return home, loiter around the intraweb for a while, get bored and fall asleep.
now, my brother is also home, and he's awake until 5, each day, so naturally, I have a lot more to do at night, so I stay awake longer as well, then I either wake up at 9, or at 14...

and above all that, I think I'm growing insomanic (or just having sleep problems...) I stay up in bed for hours, and can't sleep well at all. there were a few nights that I couldn't sleep until sunrise, and then I said 'Screw it all, I'm going to spend this morning doing the same things I did last night!", and it's been happening at a rapid progression rate.

Jaitne
Thu, 09-18-2008, 04:37 PM
I get eight hours of sleep Sunday through Thursday because I go to school on weekdays and my mother gave me a beddy time.

I spend the rest of the weekend staying up and barely sleeping :D

6Zabuza9
Thu, 09-18-2008, 05:08 PM
the whole summer i sleep at like 6 am. then school starts and i try my best to sleep at 12-1 so i get at least 7 hours of sleep. also i prefer topless with boxers

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-19-2008, 12:09 AM
My attire changes with the seasons:

Spring: PJ pants + shirt
Summer: Home clothes (shirt+shorts)
Autumn: Shirt + PJ pants
Winter: PJ long sleeve, shirt + pants.

Though lately, I've been replacing the "shirts" with singlets, mainly because I've wrecked most of my home shirts, and I'm left with singlets.

I've tried nude, and it feels weird, like most of you've said. Yesterday, a rash/itch was driving me insane, and I had to take off my PJ pants before it'd go away. It wasn't as uncomfortable as the birthday suit, but it kept me semi-flaccid. An hour later, I put the pants back on.

Jessper
Fri, 09-19-2008, 01:30 AM
As for nights, it's underwear and mandatory socks... cold feet prevent me from sleeping and I wake up sneezing with a cold lasting 2 or 3 days. Even in the hotter days of summer, even with 35° Celsius or more in the room.

I'm a boxers only guy but honestly I hate wearing socks to bed. I'll do it if I'm really tired but I really prefer no socks when ever I can get away with it (funny thing is I wear tennis shoes almost exclusively so socks anytime I go out)

I get about 7 hours a night and it hurts to wake up, 8 and I'm doing better. Though I'm always awake by 9 and rested at that point (work starts at 8 so this only happens on weekends) regardless of how many hours I really got.

As for the seasonal stuff, my bedding changes but attire is steadfast.

Marik
Fri, 09-19-2008, 03:49 AM
I sleep wearing only boxers. As far as habit goes, I like to sleep during the day. Sleeping from 12 noon til 8pm is ideal for me. I find it easier for going out. Instead of going to sleep at night and trying to wake up in the morning on time, I just stay up from 8 at night.

saman
Fri, 09-19-2008, 12:10 PM
i love sleeping. i try to get as much of it done as possible. however, i'm also a bit of a night owl, and going to sleep before 1 feels like a waste, so i prefer to sleep in late to get my...erm...12 hours. it doesn't happen often these days, though, since i have to wake up early for work or something or other.

also, i guess there's a bit of a difference between genders when it comes to sleeping in the nude. most of you guys seem to dislike it, but i found it completely comfortable when i used to live on my own

David75
Fri, 09-19-2008, 12:47 PM
i love sleeping. i try to get as much of it done as possible. however, i'm also a bit of a night owl, and going to sleep before 1 feels like a waste, so i prefer to sleep in late to get my...erm...12 hours. it doesn't happen often these days, though, since i have to wake up early for work or something or other.

also, i guess there's a bit of a difference between genders when it comes to sleeping in the nude. most of you guys seem to dislike it, but i found it completely comfortable when i used to live on my own

As said before, sleeping nude for a man is a problem with genitals. Not every male dislike it, but it seems a lot do.
There's also a hygienic/mattress protection problem also linked to the same part of the male body. I will not explain in details, but really underwear solve a great deal of the problem.

animus
Fri, 09-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Maybe it's weird, but even in the summer or if it's hot I have to have a blanket or something. Probably cause when I sleep I find it uncomfortable to not grab, hug, or hold onto something. Might be the years I spent as a baby hugging a giant dog to sleep.

Animeniax
Sat, 09-20-2008, 03:15 AM
Also, my sleep is of a bad quality, probably explaining why my needs doubled. Will try to cure that someday, if I get enough confidence in a surgeon who will have to butcher things in my throat and so on...
Is this a snoring/breathing problem? I think I have a similar problem. 10 minutes after lying down, my nose stuffs up and I spend the rest of the night breathing through my mouth while sleeping. I wake up most mornings with a sore throat, especially when it's cold in the room.

I think I snore, and it used to be loudly, but I don't know if it still is, since I don't wake up during the night to a loud snore like I used to. I've been meaning to record my sleep sometime to see what it's like, but I know it will interfere with my sleep knowing that I'm being recorded.

David75
Sat, 09-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Is this a snoring/breathing problem? I think I have a similar problem. 10 minutes after lying down, my nose stuffs up and I spend the rest of the night breathing through my mouth while sleeping. I wake up most mornings with a sore throat, especially when it's cold in the room.

I think I snore, and it used to be loudly, but I don't know if it still is, since I don't wake up during the night to a loud snore like I used to. I've been meaning to record my sleep sometime to see what it's like, but I know it will interfere with my sleep knowing that I'm being recorded.

Yeah I've got that and sometimes headaches drozyness in the morning. It is considered a light syndrome... So the benefits/risk ratio of surgery isn't that high, and it isn"t the place you want to be badly butchered... Since I was butchered in a much less important place when I was a teen, I admitt I fear some mistake now.

So yes, it changes your sleep habits too...

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-20-2008, 05:18 AM
One habit I've got now when I sleep is to eliminate all sources of light and sound as possible. Right now that means closing the bedroom door, stuffing a clock under a stuffed animal, and putting an object/box in front of the radio alarm clock to block out the light.

A little excessive?

Marik
Sat, 09-20-2008, 05:36 AM
Not excessive at all, I'm the same way. I can't stand light when i sleep. I even cover up the lights on my D-Link router, so those blue leds can't bother me. I like it totally quiet, so I don't use a clock at all.

David75
Sat, 09-20-2008, 05:56 AM
One habit I've got now when I sleep is to eliminate all sources of light and sound as possible. Right now that means closing the bedroom door, stuffing a clock under a stuffed animal, and putting an object/box in front of the radio alarm clock to block out the light.

A little excessive?

Same here.
And sometimes I can sleep in a train in broad day light... go figure.

To me it's due to micro-awakenings during sleep. You're not fully conscient, but ligt or noise do awaken your consciousness and you wake-up.

animus
Sat, 09-20-2008, 12:40 PM

A little excessive?

Funny thing is, for me atleastI just can't sleep if it's too quiet. When it's too quiet it has the opposite effect for me. It's actually loud since when there's no sound, there's like loud ass ringing type sound if you listen closely enough.

David75
Sat, 09-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Funny thing is, for me atleastI just can't sleep if it's too quiet. When it's too quiet it has the opposite effect for me. It's actually loud since when there's no sound, there's like loud ass ringing type sound if you listen closely enough.

The sounds you hear are some kind of artifacts your brain produces when there's almost no sound.
Working in an anaechoïc chamber is the worst!
You can hear your eyelids sliding on your eyes, your heart and breath are loud, you can hear your joints you move your arm or legs. Totally incredible and hard to bear.
It's for a good reason that most people sleep better by the sea, even with the waves rumbling in the distance. Or by a torrent or something.
In fact these mimic a not very loud white noise that covers most of your body sounds, which is important, and prevents artifacts from being produced. Also it's soothing because there's probably some kind of procedure in our brains that always adjusts our hearing. When there's no sound, the brain thinks the hearing isn't working, and as sound is very important for safety (so the brain is made) it increases stress I guess.
The white noise prevents that from happening, so I think, by analysing things.

Try this for yourself, I personally like Pink and Brown sounds a lot. White is a bit harsh sometimes.
http://www.simplynoise.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_noise

Psyke
Sun, 09-21-2008, 11:37 AM
I used to be able to sleep while travelling in a military vehicle, cramped along with 29 other sweating and smelly guys, carry my personal weapon between my legs and going along really rough and bumpy terrain. But then, all of us were dead tired and we can sleep any where, any time, really.

XanBcoo
Sun, 09-21-2008, 11:42 AM
cramped along with 29 other sweating and smelly guys, carry my personal weapon between my legs
Oh God, that choice of words.

Yeah I've got that and sometimes headaches drozyness in the morning.
I get this too and also always wake up with headaches. I thought it was just me!

Carnage
Sun, 09-21-2008, 11:50 AM
It really depends what day of the week it is for me.

For example, if it's Tuesday, I'll:

Strip butt naked
Jerk off onto my pillow cover
Throw it in the washer
Go to sleep in Bed with Blanket

If it's Friday, then I'm more inclined to fart all over my mattress and sleep in my own stink.

I like to keep it interesting.

Death BOO Z
Sun, 09-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I used to be able to sleep while travelling in a military vehicle, cramped along with 29 other sweating and smelly guys, carry my personal weapon between my legs and going along really rough and bumpy terrain. But then, all of us were dead tired and we can sleep any where, any time, really.

I wasn't able to sleep in the bus, or in the train, even in the army..
but I still got some funny stories from those times.
here are two of them.

1. I was called over at midnight to fix one of the tanks at the middle of the night, after fixing it at 03:00, I got into a sleeping bag and placed myself between the two tanks at ground level. the two tanks left at about 05:30, I woke up at 07:00.

2. I was sleeping at a tent with some guys from a different company, around midnight the tent crushed down on us, I tried to keep sleeping for about 15 minutes, and I would have kept sleeping if the other guys wouldn't have woken me up.

(also, countless times of sleepwalking in guard watches and in classes. there are some hilarious stories about me going)

Psyke
Sun, 09-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Oh God, that choice of words.

Haha i didn't realise that. But it was SOP and safety regulations for us because of dumb asses who sleep and drop their weapons. :)

Animeniax
Sun, 09-21-2008, 02:48 PM
I wasn't in the military but work around them and have their work schedules sometimes. I used to not be able to sleep anywhere except in my own bed (even a bed in a hotel or at someone else's place would not let me sleep well). Now I can fall asleep on a 5 minute car drive, especially after lunch when we drive 5 minutes from the lunchroom back to the office. I can pretty much doze anywhere, except I have to be careful because I snore loudly and it's embarrassing. I think I drool in my sleep too.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 09-22-2008, 04:26 AM
I think I drool in my sleep too.

Same here. I'm pretty sure I've been seen doing that either during a lecture or on a bus ride. It's embarrassing, but it can't be helped. That's why if I have to sleep in a chair, I prefer those with no headrest so I can arch my neck back instead of hanging and letting it all out.

The first story happened to me earlier this year, and the second one was probably last week.

1) I was on a bus home from uni, and I fell asleep sometime during the 20min bus ride. When I woke up, the bus was in some side alley, and the driver was having his lunch. He must have been really surprised to see me, since he almost spilled his lunch.

2) The bus picked up someone one stop away from mine, (it's around the corner, like 10 seconds), and I thought I'd use that time to sleep. I don't know how long I slept for, but when I woke up, I was way past my house, and walked for an hour back to my place.

But yes....dribbling....why...

Death BOO Z
Mon, 09-22-2008, 05:03 AM
Same here. I'm pretty sure I've been seen doing that either during a lecture or on a bus ride. It's embarrassing, but it can't be helped.

[more of my wacky, zanny, crazy stories from the army]

while in bootcamp, they took us for a week of non-combat, non military practices, basically, a week off without the pressure that we usually had.
we had classes about history, this and that, that and this, and then we had a class about dignity, prestiege and respect.

it was so damn retarded that I fell asleep in my chair (not that it surprised anyone) and woke myself up by drooling myself ("uhhm.. something is wet... HOLY GOD I"VE FALLEN ASLEEP... WAKE UP, WALE UP!")

Koyuki
Wed, 10-01-2008, 12:02 PM
I usually sleep in my boxer or pj-pants. I go to bed 12ish and get up 6:30. I sometimes go to sleep after work if I'm really tired. Also I can sleep anywhere/time :)

complich8
Thu, 10-09-2008, 02:59 AM
socks+underwear, on my side, bottom arm above my head w/ a crushed-down somewhat firm pillow under my armpit, second pillow (soft) between upper arm and head. Top arm extended straight out, usually propped up by blankets or a third pillow. legs wherever they landed. Usually cover my eyes with an empty, folded up pillowcase to block out ambient light.

I probably get an average of 6-7 hours a night. At 6 hours I'm consistently functional. At 7 hours I'm feeling good, and at 8 I'm feeling great. Tonight I'm looking at about 5 and a half hours, because allergy meds are taking a while to really kick in and won't last the night... meaning I'm going to wake up with a sore throat and feeling miserable regardless of how much sleep I get. Go to sleep in a couple minutes, wake up at 9:30. Probably make it to work by about 10:15, traffic permitting.

I can't sleep in a room without ambient noise. If the noise level's too low, I hear either my own heartbeat or the wisps of tinnitus in my ears. It's one of the reasons I keep either a computer or a fan in my room and on all the time ... just a couple dB coming off a 12cm fan at 1500rpm is enough to let me sleep with no problems, but silence makes my ears ring, then feel hot, then feel hot and pressured (all while the ringing increases), until the sensitivity goes up enough that I can hear my own heartbeat.

On the same theme, intermittent sounds (eg: my heartbeat, a ticking clock) invariably keep me awake too. I can be dog tired and collapse into a very comfortable bed, only to fail to fall asleep because a wall clock is ticking on the other side of the room.

I'm also remarkably easy to wake up. Hearing my housemates coming down the stairs, from 30 feet away on the other side of a closed door, will wake me up. Really, any irregular sound will do it.

Mr Squiggles
Fri, 10-10-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm also remarkably easy to wake up. Really, any irregular sound will do it.
Same here. Luckily I can fall back asleep no problem if I haven't had the time to fully wake up yet. That's also why I have to make sure that I leave my bed as soon as my alarm rings or I'll just fall back asleep.

Am i the only one who can't stand going to sleep with socks? Whenever I leave them on during the night not only are my feet a bit too warm to be comfortable but when I wake up I get this really irritating sensation from having the hairs on my ankles and on the top of my feet pulled by the socks all night.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Regarding sleep habits, I'm finding that either I'm truly a night person, or my biological clock is just stuffed up.

For uni, if I get 6hrs sleep from 12-6am, I'm stuffed. I wake up dead tired, I sleep on the bus there, I sleep half the time I'm there, and I sleep on the bus trip back.

The last two days that I haven't had uni, I've been sleeping at 4am and waking at 10am. I feel fine.