PDA

View Full Version : Voting: Round 3 - Bracket 2

Assassin
Tue, 09-16-2008, 05:51 AM
For Bracket 2, the topic was Dark....harder to do then Light imo, and i have to say im impressed by the results.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-16-2008, 06:52 AM
Yeah, I think all of these are really good too. To each their own, especially the creativity. I have to say though, In The Dark makes me laugh every time I see it. (I admit, it took me two viewings to get what darkness had to do with it.)

masamuneehs
Tue, 09-16-2008, 08:13 AM
was between the dark future and dark faith for me.

went with the former, since it felt a bit more thoughtful and, well, something i can empathize with.

i was shocked by the Mr toad one. how the hell did someone get the 'props' for that one?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-16-2008, 08:56 AM
i was shocked by the Mr toad one. how the hell did someone get the 'props' for that one?

A pet store? :p

What would be funny is that the animals were completely obedient.

"Okay, yep, just take a bite out of Mr Toad....a bit more...bit more.....OKAY!! Hold it there.........."

<SNAP>

"Okay, good take!! That's it for today folks, see you all tomorrow morning."

<snake lets go of toad>

oyabun
Tue, 09-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Mr Toad.. I'll remember you... poor guy.. sob :(

Kraco
Tue, 09-16-2008, 09:26 AM
<snake lets go of toad>

I'm not sure that's even physically possible. It swallows the prey whole, without the aid of any limbs and the teeth are curved towards the throat. It could be anatomically impossible to let go. So, the toad is doomed.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 09-16-2008, 09:32 AM
I bet it can. Even when venomous snakes bite, they usually let go after. Constrictors should not be much different.

EDIT: I should mention that snakes can and do regurgitate their prey whole when they feel the need to.

But yeah, the toad is doomed.

XanBcoo
Tue, 09-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Dark Future and In the Dark seem to be going for the same effect this round, but I really think In the Dark was executed several times better.

That fish is just so expressive, and it's a much better composed picture overall.

RyougaZell
Tue, 09-16-2008, 11:01 PM
God damn it... I can't stop laughing thanks to... 'in the dark'...

maybe cause i've felt that way?

Animeniax
Tue, 09-16-2008, 11:36 PM
In the Dark and Dark Future are good ideas for the subject, but neither shows good use of photography fundamentals.

Sunset on Mr. Toad is neither good conceptually nor photographically, I think it's mainly going for shock value.

I like Dark Faith photographically but the concept is lacking. Maybe if one of the statues were killing the other, it would be more than just a picture of some religious figurines taken in the dark.

So this leads us back to the original argument, is this a photography contest or a conceptual art contest?

bagandscalpel
Wed, 09-17-2008, 05:01 AM
So this leads us back to the original argument, is this a photography contest or a conceptual art contest?
If nothing else, the contest's a conceptual art contest executed strictly through a single, unaltered photograph. Of course, it goes without saying that there're more artists (being the general term) than photographers around here.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-17-2008, 05:18 AM
To quote our organisers, you vote for the picture you find the most interesting. Whether it's the concept, or the visual beauty of the picture that captures your liking most is your decision. From the previous rounds, forum members seem to favour out-of-the-box concepts that are executed well. Of course, combining that concept with good photography and artistry makes for an instant win.

Animeniax
Wed, 09-17-2008, 05:21 AM
It looks like everyone took photos with a disposable camera that was on the store shelves past its expiry date.

Of course, it goes without saying that there're more artists (being the general term) than photographers around here.Good point. I think if a pro photographer did participate, he'd still lose if his concept wasn't interesting to the average gotwooter.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-17-2008, 08:23 AM
It looks like everyone took photos with a disposable camera that was on the store shelves past its expiry date.

Good point. I think if a pro photographer did participate, he'd still lose if his concept wasn't interesting to the average gotwooter.

That may be true. After all, photography is an art. Art is assessed on both it's skill and appeal. Which is more important depends on the viewer. Where an audience recognises the skill of the artist, but does not see its appeal is called appreciation.

It's an amateur photography contest that "everybody can participate in", so we can't be that judging on photography skill now can we?

Come to think of it, any reason why you haven't voted in the first bracket Ani? None appeal to you? Neither artistically nor skill wise?

Animeniax
Wed, 09-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Oh crap, no, just got caught up in talking about the contest, forgot to vote. Fixed that. Thanks for the reminder.

Ryllharu
Wed, 09-17-2008, 03:19 PM
While I won't divulge which picture is mine for the benefit of voter neutrality, the batteries in my camera (and the only ones in the house) were really low and I couldn't use the flash more than once or twice without killing the camera. They weren't lithiums either, those had died the week before.

Very poor planning on my part.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-17-2008, 06:31 PM
While I won't divulge which picture is mine for the benefit of voter neutrality, the batteries in my camera (and the only ones in the house) were really low and I couldn't use the flash more than once or twice without killing the camera. They weren't lithiums either, those had died the week before.

Very poor planning on my part.

I am 50% confident that In the Dark is submitted by Ryllharu.

Ryllharu
Wed, 09-17-2008, 08:34 PM
There are several that are out of focus due to the flash not being on and the photographer not having surgeon's hands to make up for it. With what I said, you can only eliminate Dark Future, as that's the only one which exhibits any type of flash.

...but I do have that exact book, and horribly unfond memories of it.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-17-2008, 08:47 PM
There are several that are out of focus due to the flash not being on and the photographer not having surgeon's hands to make up for it. With what I said, you can only eliminate Dark Future, as that's the only one which exhibits any type of flash.

...but I do have that exact book, and horribly unfond memories of it.

I am now 100% sure In the Dark is yours ;)

Edit: Divine powers tell me I'm wrong :(

Then that means it's Mr Toad?

staffcc
Thu, 09-18-2008, 06:10 AM
I voted for dark future.

What can I say? Death and taxes... :)

Psyke
Thu, 09-18-2008, 11:54 AM
I voted for dark future.

What can I say? Death and taxes... :)

Agreed. I feel the same sentiments.... :(

Animeniax