PDA

View Full Version : I hate to say this, I really do...

Vegechan
Sat, 09-13-2008, 05:21 AM
Because it makes me seem superficial, but to be honest, this is one of the few cases where this is the case. But I can not get over some of the character designs in One Piece. I just don't dislike them. I hate most of them.

It used to be that I really liked the Straw Hat crew, and really hated the support cast. Villains like Buggy, Arlong, and Number 2 really just killed the mood. I'm supposed to fear most of these guys, and in many cases I probably would, but I just can't get over how horrible they look.

I tried getting into the anime several times, because I hear how amazing it is, and sometimes I'm able to plow through it and enjoy it. But sometimes it just gets too over the top, and I really can't appreciate the story as a result.

Just recently, I hear from a friend of mine, and see a lot on the forums here "Thank god for One Piece." Now, the last major arc I saw/read was the Sand Arc. I really enjoyed that actually, as there weren't too many bad designs (many of the agents just didn't do it for me) and the story was compelling. I stopped watching, primarily because life was hectic and fell behind a lot. So, I hear how amazing the current arcs are, and I decide to download the latest episode, and read the latest chapter.

Now I find out that there's two characters within the Straw Hats that I personally hate. Franky and Brooke. I don't know much about them, but I hate how they look. And in the anime, they are facing Moria, who I just can't fear as a villain. He just looks... so bad that it doesn't strike that fear into me. And in the manga, they are facing Koma, who again I can't get over how bad he looks. Crocodile is just about the only villain in the series I could really get into. Because most of them, no matter how powerful or heartless they be, I just look at and don't fear.

It would be different if these odd looking characters were every so often. I sometimes like a villain who doesn't look the type, but unfortunately, it seems like the villains who have good designs are few and far between.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for your standard kick ass awesome looking badass villains, I'm just asking for them not to look so... dumb.

I know this series is trying to be unique, but just because it's different, doesn't make it good. Sure it's not the norm, but the artist really pushes the envelope sometimes with these designs, and it almost seems he's doing it just to be different, which irks me. Some designs and characters I absolutely love, and that combined with the story really makes me want to get into this series, but some of these designs are just so bad it distracts me from enjoying it.

Is this an issue for anyone else? I've tried to get past it, as I've watched everything up to the Arabasta arc and Luffy's and Croc's final battle, but I really can't get attached to some of the characters and villains because of the design choices. I really want to get into it, because the latest episode had amazing animation, nearing movie quality, and looked to have an intriguing story, and the manga apparently just reached a critical point. I'm curious to hear what other's opinions are about this, and how much of a deal it is to you.

Am I really just being a wuss about this? Or is it understandable?

EDIT: Thanks for the mod who added the spoiler tag. I didn't realize the topic would show through the threads like that, so I was about to change it myself.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 09-13-2008, 06:45 AM
I understand completely.

When people first recommended One Piece to me, the art style almost prevented me from getting into it at all. Fortunately I got past it. And when I say "got past" I mean "learned to suffer with" because the art has never grown on me.

It sucks because every arc that starts I think I'm gonna see some cool new characters and every are I'm disappoint as the new character are even stupider looking than the last. It just keeps getting worse. And whats doubly frustrating is its not just supporting characters. Its like the more powerful/important a character is, the stupider Oda makes them look.

That, and the fact that everyone is some kind of half-giant now. All the badguys are huge for some reason.

But it doesn't stop One Piece from being probably my favorite series still. In fact, on the more normal looking characters, I think the characters looks have improved since the beginning of the series. Luffy, Nami, Zoro etc. all look alot less disneyfied than they did in the beginning of the series. But just when you think he's getting better at character designs, someone like Wanze, or Hogback shows up.

So yeah, I agree with you completely.

EDIT: Whoa, I just noticed this thread was in the manga section. I clicked to it from the main page without even noticing. Fortunately for me, there weren't any spoilers that I saw in the original post.

TwisT
Sat, 09-13-2008, 11:26 AM
hehe that's pretty funny. For me it was the more unique style of OP that made me watch it. No one had recommended it too me. The soccer special had just been released and i downloaded it. And the two things that made me watch it was the art and the strange powers some people had.

But i can't really understand how the art can make you not read/watch it even if you don't like it. If the story is good and unique then the crappy art just goes away. Let's take HxH for example. I thought that one had poor art but since i was recommended it i decided to keep watching a few episodes more. And after i managed to watch through the slow start and came to the action part i was hooked. And today it's one of my favorite animes. The same with Berserk. I didn't think much of the art. But damn the anime and manga was awesome. And today i just love the style and art of Berserk. It's so fit the series.

I'm a person the usually get discouraged from watching if it's bad art/style/design. But if i for some reason start to watch it and the story is good the art don't bother me one bit.

Assertn
Sat, 09-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Meh....I think the last villain that made me feel uncomfortable was that pearl guy from Don Krieg's crew. He felt like a blatant mockery of anything serious.

I get that the art style is unique...so what? The series is just as much a comedy as it is an adventure.

I know this series is trying to be unique, but just because it's different, doesn't make it good.But just good enough to be ranked #1 in Japan :rolleyes:

Splash!
Sat, 09-13-2008, 12:03 PM
I agree with you that alot of the characters in one piece look really really stupid. I hate how Franky and Usopp look, although i don't mind Brooke all that much. Franky's design in particular annoyed the hell out of me, but I learned to cope with it because Franky ends up having the best backstory of all the strawhats (IMO). I still haven't gotten over how bad Usopp looks.

As for the Villains, there are alot of stupid looking ones in One Piece. However, any major villain that is worth remembering from one arc to another hasn't looked all that bad (for the most part). Examples are Smoker, Mihawk, Crocodile, Enel, Rob Lucci, the Marine Admirals, Blackbeard and the World Government officials. I find Kuma acceptable too, relative to how stupid some characters have been.
There are also plenty of other non-villain IMPORTANT characters in one piece that probably get the same score as Crocodile on the 'normal' scale (other than being absurdly tall or having quirky habits).

Theres just so many characters in one piece, that more than half the time when they are not important, it seems like Oda doesn't put any effort into drawing them. However, rest assured, any character no matter how ugly or stupid plays some part in the story.
I think that Moria ,although a Shichibukai, falls in that category. He is not important as a character but he plays a part in advancing the story, even if it is a small one.

And yes, its completely normal for you to hate characters like Moria. I refuse to watch the anime until the Trailer Bark arc is done (I remember skipping alot of pages in the manga because I thought the arc was so dull).

But as a whole, you have to understand that One Piece has never been about art. I don't care what some people say about how they have learned to appreciate the unique style. It still looks pretty bad to me. You learn to bear with it and let it not ruin a well thought out and planned story.

Edit: I can think of a good example to sum up how I feel about One Piece. Although the Skypeia arc is not one of the better ones, there is one instance where it really shines, and that is the story of Montblanc Norland. Norland probably ranks amongst the top 3 in stupid looking characters but his story is the best one in one piece for me so far, although it doesnt have much relevance to the main story line.

poopdeville
Sat, 09-13-2008, 12:28 PM
I can't be the only one who prints out onemanga's pages and colors them in, right? The art is sweet, even if some character designs are lame.

Dark Dragon
Thu, 09-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Your dislike for Oda character designs is understandable.

But i have to disagree with your assumption that Oda makes this character looks stupid for the sake of being different.

At first i was a bit bothered by some of his characters design too (Robin nose odd shape for example), but i eventually learn to ignore it and focus on the story.

From my perspective, the reason i always like One Piece much more than the other Shonen is because it seems like Oda is creating an entire world with his writing rather than a story following the main cast.

Yeah a lot of One Piece characters looks odd, but in a sense that mirror real life. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of real people that you would find to be odd looking too, not everybody is attractive.

Franky looks extremely silly but knowing that doesn't make his background story any less sad. Gecko Moria is incredibly stupid looking but that doesn't make the things that he is doing any less twisted. I suppose the old proverb "Do Not Judge a Book by Its Cover" applies here especially since the excellent writing in One Piece makes a lot of these strange looking characters a lot easier for me to relate to than "normal" ones from something like naruto.

That being said, it is a pity that you are missing out on a great series but if you dislike his art style than i doubt you will be able to fully enjoy the series.

DeathscytheVII
Thu, 09-18-2008, 10:26 PM
I understand completely, probably one of the reasons why I'm reading the manga and not watching the anime.

But personally I think One Piece has its share of badass villains. I mean, CP9 was pretty damn threatening, and Aokiji as well. I personally like Kaku the best, despite his wacky nose, because his character's personality also defines a large part of who he is.

Assertn
Fri, 09-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Edit: I can think of a good example to sum up how I feel about One Piece. Although the Skypeia arc is not one of the better ones, there is one instance where it really shines, and that is the story of Montblanc Norland. Norland probably ranks amongst the top 3 in stupid looking characters but his story is the best one in one piece for me so far, although it doesnt have much relevance to the main story line.
You're thinking of the children's book adaptation of montblanc norland. The actual flashback of him crying in the jail cell looked more like a normal character design.

Archangel
Fri, 09-19-2008, 06:41 PM
I agree with you dude, mainly because of Franky's design. I mean Usoop is supposed to be goofy like that and a walking zombie with an afro is actually kind of cool but a cyborgue with hair like that, a tri-chin and wearing spandex?? I mean, wtf???

It's the only character in the straw hat crew that i just don't care about, they can kill him off in the next arc for all i care...

Splash!
Fri, 09-19-2008, 08:30 PM
You're thinking of the children's book adaptation of montblanc norland. The actual flashback of him crying in the jail cell looked more like a normal character design.

Actually I was thinking of Norland's descendant (forgot his name), who looked a lot more idiotic than Norland himself. Still, having an acorn head is pretty dumb.

Assertn
Sat, 09-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Actually I was thinking of Norland's descendant (forgot his name), who looked a lot more idiotic than Norland himself. Still, having an acorn head is pretty dumb.
Ah ok...that's Montblanc Cricket.

Archangel
Sat, 09-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Montblanc Cricket (http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Montblanc_Cricket)

His design isn't that bad, especially compared to franky.

Death13a
Sat, 09-20-2008, 08:02 PM
You know what i like about character designs in OP is that each and everyone is different. And you are not suppose to like everyone. True Franky is in dare need of upgrade to Pacifista level as Beauty=Strength.

Archangel
Sat, 09-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Hmmm that amkes me wonder if we'll ever see an fanky upgrade since he's a cyborg... that would be awesome!

Death BOO Z
Sun, 09-21-2008, 03:53 PM
...True Franky is in dare need of upgrade to Pacifista level as Beauty=Strength.

exactly the point that makes me love One Piece so much.
it doesn't.

Naruto, Bleach and every other action manga, you can pretty much tell who is stronger than who according to how girly they look (tall, lean and thin, smooth flowing hair, gentle face), which eventually leads to everybody who matters sharing common features.

in one piece, it doesn't work like that.
I can read a chapter and think "GOD! this norland\blackbeard\franky dude is the coolest guy EVAR~~!!" despite that all of them are fat, but ugly and dumb down to the core. it wouldn't have happened anywhere else.

also, it's nice that each time a villain shows up, we don't need to argue for hours whether it's a female with an attitude, or just another dude who looks like the previous villain and is a bigger sissy than him.

last thing, it makes it easier to relate to the characters, it doesn't matter how silly they are, as long as they are determinate enough, they get results.

kAi
Sun, 09-21-2008, 08:13 PM
also, it's nice that each time a villain shows up, we don't need to argue for hours whether it's a female with an attitude, or just another dude who looks like the previous villain and is a bigger sissy than him.
haha, well this is true.

I don't mind his character designs and like his art style, he also has alot going on in the background most of the time.

animus
Mon, 09-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Hm something I was thinking about. We still haven't found out Sanji, Usopp or Nami's last name yet and to a lesser extent Franky, since he's new. Even Chopper has a full name.

On the subject of names, how would you say Luffys name romanized? Luffy D. Monkey? Luffy Monkey D.? Roger D. Gol?

Assertn
Mon, 09-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Hm something I was thinking about. We still haven't found out Sanji, Usopp or Nami's last name yet and to a lesser extent Franky, since he's new. Even Chopper has a full name.

On the subject of names, how would you say Luffys name romanized? Luffy D. Monkey? Luffy Monkey D.? Roger D. Gol?

Wouldn't Franky's last name be Cutty? As in Cutty Flam?

animus
Mon, 09-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Oh right, totally forgot that he had a prior name.

Archangel
Tue, 09-23-2008, 02:13 PM

It would be kind of cool if Sanji was related to some big shot pirate.

Yeah, i think that's about right.

Assertn
Tue, 09-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Kinda interesting in retrospect....

Both Franky and Robin were hiding under false names when they first appeared in the series, obviously since both of them know something that the government doesn't want anyone else to know. I think Robin even yelled at Crocodile when he called her by her real name, too.

Yet despite this, the strawhats call her by her real name while they still call Franky by his fake name.

Archangel
Tue, 09-23-2008, 05:29 PM
That's because franky took the new name as well as a new persona while nico robin was just hiding from the world government.