PDA

View Full Version : Voting - Wild Card Round

XanBcoo
Sat, 09-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Well, we only received 2 of the 5 Wild Card entries, and I don't think any more are coming in. So here we go!!

Subject was hard this time: Gotwoot Forums

Voting will last until Monday.

Edit: Crap, I didn't know how to make it an open poll! Oh well.

Animeniax
Sat, 09-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Ahh crap I should have sent an entry for the wildcard round. I apologize, but something about the contest made it feel like a homework assignment and I just couldn't go through with it. I should have sent an entry because I would have won against the two that did submit entries.

My first concept: my foot stepping on a bed of ants, representing the relationship between me and the gotwoot community.

My second concept: photo of an fps game where I headshot (and thereby pwn) another player, representing me and my relationship with someone from the gotwoot community.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 09-06-2008, 10:48 PM
If I was in the wild card round, I would have taken a picture of a bunch of apples with mouths cut into them around a yellow sponge.

It would have been a decent idea, and worked as a bribe of sorts as well.

Abdula
Sat, 09-06-2008, 10:53 PM
If I was in the wild card round, I would have taken a picture of a bunch of apples with mouths cut into them around a yellow sponge.

It would have been a decent idea, and worked as a bribe of sorts as well.
I think that might have been what stalkers had in mind. Really I'm rather surprised about these two entries because Gotwoot Forums, gives you alot to work with.

Board of Command
Sat, 09-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Edit: Crap, I didn't know how to make it an open poll! Oh well.
Ha you'll guess which one I voted for.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-06-2008, 11:16 PM
I suspect stalker=KitKat.

XanBcoo
Sun, 09-07-2008, 03:41 AM
My first concept: my foot stepping on a bed of ants, representing the relationship between me and the gotwoot community.
Several of the mods agreed that we'd only vote for the entry that didn't contain a screenshot or monitor. I would have voted for this picture. Real pity you decided not to send it in :(.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-07-2008, 04:03 AM
Several of the mods agreed that we'd only vote for the entry that didn't contain a screenshot or monitor. I would have voted for this picture. Real pity you decided not to send it in :(.

I was actually afraid of this being our final topic. Good thing for us it's out of the way. I do think GotWoot being the most abstract topic would pose a challenge for those with a more conservative mind. I'm one of those people IMO.

Animeniax
Sun, 09-07-2008, 04:14 AM
I apologize again, but to be honest the entire "homework assignment" feeling became more and more like a panic attack, like I used to feel before tests and term papers were due at university.

It really is a bad sign for me, since I'm going back to school in fall 09. Unfortunately I think it is an innate part of my psyche now, so I'll have to learn to deal with it.

XanBcoo
Sun, 09-07-2008, 04:26 AM
I was actually afraid of this being our final topic. Good thing for us it's out of the way. I do think GotWoot being the most abstract topic would pose a challenge for those with a more conservative mind. I'm one of those people IMO.
Don't worry, we're keeping some good abstract topics for the final two rounds. Sit tight.

It really is a bad sign for me, since I'm going back to school in fall 09.
Ah, I keep forgetting you'll be starting after I graduate. That, too, is a pity.

KitKat
Sun, 09-07-2008, 08:49 AM
To be honest, the only reason I made it this far is because of non-submissions. I find visual art very difficult. One of the reasons I love knitting is because a lot of it is math-based. Photography is so unpredictable. Although, maybe I shy away from it because of my lack of experience with it as an art form.

And, there's also the fact that I travelled 4500km, moved into a new house, started a new DnD campaign, and started school this week. It left me a little short on time to think about this. Sorry for not being able to submit a better entry. :(

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Don't worry, we're keeping some good abstract topics for the final two rounds. Sit tight.

Damn, I just had a good idea for GotWoot. Why did they have to use it for the Wild Card :(

I do hope that this competition will serve as a guinea pig and an example, so both mods and members know what's involved in running/participating in it. Next time, I hope we will get a lot more participation and fun. Of course, nothing's stopping this from becoming a success itself. The remaining participants look pretty keen. Most of them anyway. *eyes someone*:rolleyes:

Animeniax
Sun, 09-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Would you have voted for it on its own merits or only because it's not a screenshot/monitor?

I forgot to mention the other reason I didn't submit it: no ant mounds where I'm at, and the pain of several ant bites on my foot just to fulfill my artistic vision would not have been worth it.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Would you have voted for it on its own merits or only because it's not a screenshot/monitor?

I forgot to mention the other reason I didn't submit it: no ant mounds where I'm at, and the pain of several ant bites on my foot just to fulfill my artistic vision would not have been worth it.

You don't have to go barefooted you know. Or is that more artistic?

Animeniax
Sun, 09-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Then the ants would have been caught in my shoe, where they would hide until I got home and took my shoe off, at which point they would crawl out and call their friends and they would infest my home. It just wasn't worth the trouble overall.

But yeah, definitely more artistic going barefoot.

XanBcoo
Sun, 09-07-2008, 02:15 PM
What I meant was that we (or at least I) probably would have held any submission that didn't actually include a picture of the forums, but still managed to represent them in the real world in higher regard. The description of your picture would have earned a vote from me, at least.

I do hope that this competition will serve as a guinea pig and an example, so both mods and members know what's involved in running/participating in it. Next time, I hope we will get a lot more participation and fun. Of course, nothing's stopping this from becoming a success itself. The remaining participants look pretty keen. Most of them anyway. *eyes someone*:rolleyes:
The only thing about the planning stages that could have been done differently would have been more selective with the participating members. We thought it would be fun to include as many people as possible in this contest, but as we've all witnessed, more participants = more people liable to drop out halfway through.

And, there's also the fact that I travelled 4500km, moved into a new house, started a new DnD campaign, and started school this week. It left me a little short on time to think about this. Sorry for not being able to submit a better entry. :(
I really like your entry, you shouldn't have to apologize. I'm surprised you sent something in at all, given your situation.

Jaitne
Sun, 09-07-2008, 06:41 PM
To be honest, the only reason I made it this far is because of non-submissions. I find visual art very difficult. One of the reasons I love knitting is because a lot of it is math-based. Photography is so unpredictable. Although, maybe I shy away from it because of my lack of experience with it as an art form.

I agree with most of that.. since I don't knit, but I am kind of good at math D:

I couldn't really get into the whole creative aspect of it all, since everything I took was just.. what the object was and not that much more. at least some people found it artistic :/ if only that counted for something, in the long run >.>

it seems like whoever's the most creative person (on their last picture) is going to win the entire contest. So for everyone else's help >.> you guys should just keep saying how creative you're going to be.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Iit seems like whoever's the most creative person (on their last picture) is going to win the entire contest. So for everyone else's help >.> you guys should just keep saying how creative you're going to be.

Creativity it the trump card. My last pic's lighting was so dark I had to shrink it so make the noise less noticeable. I had an alternative that had sufficient light, but no feel, and so no creativity.

Jaitne
Sun, 09-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Creativity it the trump card. My last pic's lighting was so dark I had to shrink it so make the noise less noticeable. I had an alternative that had sufficient light, but no feel, and so no creativity.

I was only able to get one picture of my object :( it wouldn't stop moving and the rest were of a roly poly(?) but it was mean, too.