PDA

View Full Version : Naruto Shippuuden Episode 74

Marik
Thu, 09-04-2008, 08:00 PM
http://www.dattebayo.com/t/ns074.torrent

Abdula
Thu, 09-04-2008, 08:08 PM
oops delete
Had a little mental error there huh. Just so you know, you could have simply edited the post and changed the thread title.

Yukimura
Thu, 09-04-2008, 09:30 PM
New opening = win. Izumo and Kotetsu are like the Genma and Raido of chuunin.

Marik
Thu, 09-04-2008, 09:36 PM
^ I didn't even noticed that, since I usually just skip it. Only noticed that they took the movie crap out. Wonder how long they'll use it though? It's about time for a new OP. Nevermind new OP and ED start with ep 77 and 80 it seems.

OP #4: "CLOSER" by Inoue Joe (eps 80 -)

ED #7: "Long Kiss Goodbye" by HALCALI (eps 77 -)

Kusanagi
Thu, 09-04-2008, 09:54 PM
i love the new op

And I might be the only one, but that whole scene in Sakura's room made me think the anime is trying to go into a slightly more 'mature' direction.

Assertn
Thu, 09-04-2008, 11:58 PM
not a bad ep....mostly buildup though.

Abdula
Fri, 09-05-2008, 12:25 AM
And I might be the only one, but that whole scene in Sakura's room made me think the anime is trying to go into a slightly more 'mature' direction.

Mature, haha, you can't possibly be serious. If they wanted to be more mature they would stick to the canon material but no its back to the same old formula.

Add in ridiculous BS for no other reason than an attempt at comic relief. Whats with this whole Sakura and Sai watching Naruto train nonesense anyway, I noticed they did that since the beginning and I was wondering why. Now I know, its just another excuse for them to stretch things out. Speaking of which damn, whats with the stretching and the flashbacks and Naruto talking to himself. Not only did they stretch out Naruto's training by adding in Sai and Sakura, not to mention that horrible filler arc, but didn't it take Naruto only one night to cut the waterfall, not what was it three and whats with that stupid music.

Oh and why are we seeing Choji and whats her name, or are we supposed to believe that those useless guys are actually part of the Nijyuu Shoutai. Yeah I'll form twenty new squads to hunt down Akatsuki and I'll put Chouji and Ino in. Uh huh.

I'm praying, just praying that they don't ruin the fighting in this arc like they did in the last two because that is the only reason I'm still watching this shit.

There is something else I'm forgetting to bitch about but I guess I'll have to leave it for another time.

Ah, that was a good post:o

DarthEnderX
Fri, 09-05-2008, 01:01 AM
The new opening scenes were the best part of this episode. If those are an accurate portrayal of coming events, I feel bad for those two chuunin who are always in the background who have to fight that Akatsuki guy.

The one thing I've been noticing the past couple episodes is this growing sense of foreboding surrounding Asuma, and frankly, I'm worried about him. It's like he has all these scenes and they are filled with this ominous foreshadowing and its just giving off this vibe like he's not gonna survive this arc.

Assertn
Fri, 09-05-2008, 02:58 AM
The new opening scenes were the best part of this episode. If those are an accurate portrayal of coming events, I feel bad for those two chuunin who are always in the background who have to fight that Akatsuki guy.

The one thing I've been noticing the past couple episodes is this growing sense of foreboding surrounding Asuma, and frankly, I'm worried about him. It's like he has all these scenes and they are filled with this ominous foreshadowing and its just giving off this vibe like he's not gonna survive this arc.
I'd be concerned about Izumo and Kotetsu (sp?), as generic chuunin = red shirts of the Naruto world :o

DarthEnderX
Fri, 09-05-2008, 03:36 AM
Well, they're hardly generic. Those fuckers have been around since the chuunin exams. Always guarding the gate and killing zombies and other filler foes.

Xyrox
Fri, 09-05-2008, 03:44 AM
After the scene with Kurenai, it's hard to not worry about Asuma. :(

KrayZ33
Fri, 09-05-2008, 05:29 AM
the new opening is *awesome*

I don't understand Abdula's bitching for now, because this episode was rather good... It was the first time I thought Naruto (the character) is awesome, when he managed to cut the waterfall in half.

and why shouldn't Tsunade put Ino and Chouji in the new squads? arn't they both Chuunin? and Ino is a medical-nin too isn't she? The only stupid thing about it is that everyone was wearing their cool "ninja armor-suits" and they were the only ones who didn't... why don't they just follow Shikamaru's lead and wear it!

whats with that stupid music.
I liked the music

Whats with this whole Sakura and Sai watching Naruto train nonesense anyway

Don't know if it is nonesense yet... I remember Sakura being sad that she couldn't do much to help her friends.. and even though she grew up to be a strong medic-nin she still can't do much... and sai + yamato *both* told her that it isn't important if she can't do much, but it's important that she tries to do something... and thats enough.. however I still don't know if she can accept it or not

To come back to the opening (because I've watched the fighting scene in the opening for like 8-10 times)
I hope the fighting scenes will be that good too... I want it to be as good as the "Naruto vs Sasuke" fight during the Sound Four incident.. because both Hidan and Kakuzu deserve it.

They were shown only for like 20 seconds in this episode and it made me like them even more (maybe the new opening has to do something with that too ^^)

After the scene with Kurenai, it's hard to not worry about Asuma. :(

I couldn't care less about that... for me Asuma was always a character standing in the background. The filler-arc didn't change my mind in that point... however it might change very soon.. but for now he isn't more important than (*scrolls up to see the names*) Izumo and Kotetsu... in fact, I think even they got more screen time than Azuma. I have more sympathy for them than Asuma at the moment.

Kraco
Fri, 09-05-2008, 05:56 AM
I'm beginning to fail to see what good Asuma's wind chakra knives are. They don't seem to cut anything more efficiently where it really counts. Yes, if you believe the filler you could become a carpenter with a pair but in a fight..? To make any sense they would need to be able cut Hidan's multiblade scythe to pieces but that didn't seem to be the case based on the OP. So, they apparently just shine nicely bright so that if you try to sneak in the dark, your enemy will spot you from a hundred meters afar. Brilliant.

I liked this episode, though. It didn't have much action but it didn't feel like wasting time. Perhaps one reason was I was genuinely able to laugh at the beginning (and the end), and not mockingly like far too often with Naruto these days. Yamato turning into a veritable mummy while trying to keep up with Naruto and his bottomless chakra pool was a funny enough detail. And the end with fooling Kakashi was a decent joke as well.

Sakura still seems to be a crybaby but seeing her reflect her shortcomings in this ep didn't make me despise her. That might have been due to how good her profile looked against the nightsky...

Needless to say, Naruto's progress with his training also makes me somewhat glad. I'm so goddamned bored of kage bunshin and rasengan that it's sweet beyond measure to think Naruto might soon be able to overuse a new technique instead of the same old ones seen hundreds of times.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 09-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Well, I look at it this way.

Asuma has never been in a real, non-filler battle against an equal level opponent in the entire series. The closest he got was a 10 seconds exchange against Kisame. And as he hasn't been in a real fight, his real powers have never been shown to the audience.

So if he's going up against an Akastuki member for real, I expect to see what other jutsu he knows besides chakra blades.
After the scene with Kurenai, it's hard to not worry about Asuma. :(For me it was the scene with the cigarettes. When a chain smoker all of a sudden decides to stop smoking for no apparent reason, that's bad man. Ominous.

Abdula
Fri, 09-05-2008, 09:51 AM
I don't understand Abdula's bitching for now,
Thats okay

and why shouldn't Tsunade put Ino and Chouji in the new squads? arn't they both Chuunin? and Ino is a medical-nin too isn't she? The only stupid thing about it is that everyone was wearing their cool "ninja armor-suits" and they were the only ones who didn't... why don't they just follow Shikamaru's lead and wear it! You know why they don't look the part, simply because they weren't there (http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/318/16/).

I liked the music You actually like that stupid music they played when he cut the waterfall?

Sakura=waste of time

To come back to the opening (because I've watched the fighting scene in the opening for like 8-10 times)
I hope the fighting scenes will be that good too... I want it to be as good as the "Naruto vs Sasuke" fight during the Sound Four incident.. because both Hidan and Kakuzu deserve it. I hope they won't be that good, because that generic fighting is boring and as Kraco mentioned it looked ridiculous. Hidan has a huge triple bladed scythe attached to a huge string/chain, so why why in the world would Asuma try to fight him using close combat. Not to mention that as he said it makes Asuma's blades look useless, not that that crappy filler arc didn't down play the effectiveness of chakra weapons enough already. You're just excited to see fighting because honestly you could replace that little fight in the op between Asuma and Hidan with any other characters and it would just as good to you.

They were shown only for like 20 seconds in this episode
Yeah seriously, what is with that.

I couldn't care less about that... for me Asuma was always a character standing in the background. The filler-arc didn't change my mind in that point... however it might change very soon.. but for now he isn't more important than (*scrolls up to see the names*) Izumo and Kotetsu... in fact, I think even they got more screen time than Azuma. I have more sympathy for them than Azuma at the moment.
Thats just sad really, sure he never really did anything but he is a pretty good character and he should be winning you over right about now. I mean that was the purpose of us seeing him so much but they are failing to do even that, and really fillers can't make anybody look good.

When a chain smoker all of a sudden decides to stop smoking for no apparent reason, that's bad man. Ominous.
There was a reason but just like everything else they managed to mess that up as well, but we'll get to that.

Narasho
Fri, 09-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Thats okay
You know why they don't look the part, simply because they weren't there (http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/318/16/).

You seem to be forgetting something. I'm sure it will come to you in a couple of weeks.
(chapter 327, page 11, taken in the context of chapter 324 page 11 the bottom left box...)

KrayZ33
Fri, 09-05-2008, 12:05 PM
You actually like that stupid music they played when he cut the waterfall?

Sakura=waste of time

yes I liked it, I don't know why you would call that music stupid. Typical music for a "heroic" moment.

it makes you think that he just did something awesome when he cut the waterfall in 2... and it *is* awesome.

and I don't think Sakura was a waste of time in this episode... it was well made and just because it didn't happen in the manga doesn't mean it was useless or a waste of time. It often is, but not always ^^ it was decently done, actually I feel pretty sad for her now because whatever she does, she never reachs her *own* expectations.

I hope they won't be that good, because that generic fighting is boring and as Kraco mentioned it looked ridiculous. Hidan has a huge triple bladed scythe attached to a huge string/chain, so why why in the world would Asuma try to fight him using close combat. Not to mention that as he said it makes Asuma's blades look useless

what the fuck ^^? those fights are the only reason to watch the anime instead of reading the manga... and it didn't look ridiculous... and who says that Asuma has the chance to fight him with range jutsus?
ever played a MMO or something similiar to that? the melee class does always try to get the range class into melee, because he is a smaller threat then and you take less dmg. and if you yourself have only melee techniques you have to get near the enemy...
I doubt that it's different in Naruto

who says that he didn't try to fight him at range? maybe he just failed? or Hidan finally managed to get close to him and now it's his turn, while Asuma is only defending himself

and why does it look ridiculous? I think it was skillfully done (and not "overdone"), Hidan uses a scythe, but a scythe can also be used like a polearm. If they would make it look totally realistic, THEN it would look ridiculous

Taijutsu or Taijutsu with weapons (it it the same thing? I don't know) is one of the best things about the anime Naruto... I like when a fight starts with Taijutsu -> short moment for using Ninjutsu -> Taijutsu again etc.

I don't like the big Ninjutsus like Zabuza used... it took like 20-30 seconds to summon that Water Dragon...

Abdula
Fri, 09-05-2008, 12:28 PM
You seemed to have misunderstood me KrayZ.

and I don't think Sakura was a waste of time in this episode... it was well made and just because it didn't happen in the manga doesn't mean it was useless or a waste of time. It often is, but not always ^^ it was decently done, actually I feel pretty sad for her now because whatever she does, she never reachs her *own* expectations.
For one thing that scene with Sakura in her room was in the manga, the anime guys could never come up with anything good on their own. What was a waste of time was us seeing her buying ingredients and making soldier pills to bring to Naruto just for comic relief. Sure the fact that she was thinking about Naruto and trying to help was nice but that stuff was really unnecessary, especially since we've been seeing it since Naruto's training began, Sai too. That scene with her and Iruka was also pointless and we weren't supposed to see Iruka again so soon anyway.

what the fuck? those fights are the only reason to watch the anime instead of reading the manga... and it didn't look ridiculous... and who says that Asuma has the change to fight him with range jutsus?
ever played a MMO or something similiar to that? the melee class does always try to get the range class into melee, because he is a smaller threat then and you take less dmg. and if you yourself have only melee techniques you have to get near the enemy...

who says that he didn't try to fight him at range? maybe he just failed? or Hidan finally managed to get close to him and now it's his turn, while Asuma is only defending himself

and why does it look ridiculous? I think it was skillfully done (and not "overdone"), Hidan uses a scythe, but a scythe can also be used like a polearm. If they would make it look totally realistic, THEN it would look ridiculous

Taijutsu or Taijutsu with weapons (it it the same thing? I don't know) is one of the best things about the anime Naruto... I like when a fight starts with Taijutsu -> short moment for using Ninjutsu -> Taijutsu again etc.
What is it about the word generic, that you don't understand. As for Asuma and Hidan, Hidan is a melee fighter and he would have a big advantage against Asuma in close combat. Nothing about a guy with knives that are no bigger than a kunai fighting a guy with a huge triple bladed scythe seemed strange to you. If you had a knife and you had to fight a guy with a scythe on a chain no less, would you go close to him? Btw don't make too much of a big deal out of this its just an opening.

You seem to be forgetting something. I'm sure it will come to you in a couple of weeks.
Not at all friend. That has nothing to do with the fact that they weren't there.

KrayZ33
Fri, 09-05-2008, 12:39 PM
generic = typical or something like superficial isn't it?

and if you call *that* typical then I have to say that, this is the way I want them to fight the whole time :/...
I don't understand what you are trying to say at the moment with "that generic fighting is boring", explain it to me then ^^

and yes I would try to get close to him, because a swing-weapon is useless in really close combat... a spear/polearm/scythe is only usable in mid range.
this is why a weapon like that sucks at close quarters.

you need *a lot* of room to fight with such a weapon, if you are able to get close to Hidan, he won't have that freedom and his weapon gets inefficient.

and in the opening we can see (when he is standing near Kakuzu) that he uses his scythe like a spear.. so if you ever have to face him in melee, get as close to him as possible and his weapon will be useless.. all he can do is push you away or make a long swing to break your ripps (which creates a big opening once he reaches back ) another possibility would be that he trys to step backwards to get to mid range again, if he does that you can do the same thing and you are free from him for a while because now there is a big gap between you and him -> time for some ranged jutsu, but since Hidan isn't stupid he will most likely use the chain on his weapon and try to interrupt you...

well.. and so on xD

and yes I'm well aware that it's just an opening scene, but I just wanted to point out that it would be awesome if the fight is really going to be like this ^^ (I know that it is 95% unlikely)

btw kakuzus fight in the opening was much cooler than Hidan vs Asuma :P
he stopped the sword with his bare hands followed by an elbow check! then grabbed the sword while it flew in mid-air to block the next attack by the other guy and kicked him in da face! Huuuuuuuuuah awsome! :)

Abdula
Fri, 09-05-2008, 12:42 PM
this is the way I want them to fight the whole time :/...
I don't understand what you are trying to say at the moment with "that generic fighting is boring", explain it to me then ^^
It'll be a whole lot better than that:D

Btw did it look like Hidan was inefficient, I mean he is laughing and swinging away while Asuma looks like he is struggling just to keep up with him not to mention he got cut across his cheek. Your strategy is logical but it depends on the level of the people involved, this is Akatsuki.

Kraco
Fri, 09-05-2008, 01:04 PM
That scene with her and Iruka was also pointless and we weren't supposed to see Iruka again so soon anyway.

Iruka is getting bloody annoying. Not only does his whole character scream the message of being content with mediocrity and taking it easy (when all the more interesting characters feel they could and should get much more powerful even if they get killed in the process) but he's also like some inane kindergarden teacher who can't talk about anything else but how "his kids" are growing up and how fine they have become and how hard they are trying - yet they are still "his kids" despite the fact he's already himself so far below them.

I wish Akatsuki would kill Iruka (not target him specifically of course; I doubt they even know such a worm exist) and that would drive Naruto madder and make him use more kyuubi power.

KrayZ33
Fri, 09-05-2008, 01:11 PM
well he wasn't smiling during the whole fight, just when he skillfully dodged asumas attack

but ya Asuma is loosing and we are talking about Akatsuki, however we are also talking about Asuma, the son of a Hokage, one of the 12 guardian ninjas... and it seems Asuma is also a melee type, dual wieding some knuckle blades let me suggest that... it needs a lot of skill to use them efficiently.. those are not kunais.. those are fist weapons which are also able to cut stuff since they are enhanced with wind-chakra.

so if he want's to use them (maybe this is his standard strategy?) he has to use them in close range and the closer he gets the stronger he and the weaker Hidan will become. It just seems that he underestimated Hidan, who was able to keep him at bay

or another scenario "Who of you bastards killed my friend Chiriku?!" - Hidan:"Ha this freaking fake priest? that was probably me..." - Asuma: "You will paaay *gnaaaarrrr*" (enrage) ^^

so he forgot all his reasoning for a moment :P

That scene with her and Iruka was also pointless and we weren't supposed to see Iruka again so soon anyway.

I disagree with Sai etc. but that was really stupid, I didn't even understand why he wanted to talk with Sakura... it was truely pointless (and Sakura acting like a small kid)

Abdula
Fri, 09-05-2008, 01:22 PM
well he wasn't smiling during the whole fight, just when he skillfully dodged asumas attack

but ya Asuma is loosing and we are talking about Akatsuki, however we are also talking about Asuma, the son of a Hokage, one of the 12 guardian ninjas... and it seems Asuma is also a melee type, dual wieding some knuckle blades let me suggest that... it needs a lot of skill to use them efficiently.. those are not kunais.. those are fist weapons which are also able to cut stuff since they are enhanced with wind-chakra.

so if he want's to use them (maybe this is his standard strategy?) he has to use them in close range and the closer he gets the stronger he and the weaker Hidan will become. It just seems that he underestimated Hidan, who was able to keep him at bay

or another scenario "Who of you bastards killed my friend Chiriku?!" - Hidan:"Ha this freaking fake priest? that was probably me..." - Asuma: "You will paaay *gnaaaarrrr*" (enrage) ^^

so he forgot all his reasoning for a moment :P
You're still on this, just forget it.You're assuming too much, most importantly you're assuming that Hidan, simply because of his weapon, is weak in close combat when everything seems to suggest otherwise. There is also the matter that Asuma seems to be unable to take on guys who are stronger than he is, especially if they have a big weapon. See Kisame. Anyway you really seem to want to argue with me lately but like I said its just an OP.

I disagree with Sai etc. but that was really stupid, I didn't even understand why he wanted to talk with Sakura... it was truely pointless How do you disagree with the Sai stuff, ever since they got back from their mission they have been showing us that Sai is reading his little self help books and trying to be nicer to everyone. Okay we get it already, its established, they don't need to keep showing it to us over and over again especially when there are other more important things that they can do with the screen time.

Iruka is getting bloody annoying. Not only does his whole character scream the message of being content with mediocrity and taking it easy (when all the more interesting characters feel they could and should get much more powerful even if they get killed in the process) but he's also like some inane kindergarden teacher who can't talk about anything else but how "his kids" are growing up and how fine they have become and how hard they are trying - yet they are still "his kids" despite the fact he's already himself so far below them.
The sad thing is none of that is going to change. Just wait til Konohamaru grows up a little and then he starts giving Konohamaru's team his little speeches too. Thats just the role Kishi gave him.

Assertn
Fri, 09-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Asuma should have the advantage in a close combat fight against Hidan. Hidan needs a larger radius to execute an attack with a weapon that size, while Asuma's basically weilding brass knuckles.

Abdula
Fri, 09-05-2008, 01:55 PM
and two guys with massive blades(Izumo and Kotetsu) should have an advantage over a single unarmed ninja(Kakuzu) especially when one of them comes out of the damn water but that didn't happen in the op either.

KrayZ33
Fri, 09-05-2008, 02:04 PM
if every fight would end with 1 attack it would be boring and stupid... and if you have the advantage, it doesn't mean you will win in the end..

Hell, shikamaru hat a big disadvantage when he fought that girl with the flute, but in the end he won.

How do you disagree with the Sai stuff,

I disagree because he made (or at least wanted to ) Sakura feel better... together with Yamato's statement about that it isn't important for Naruto, how much of a help you are, but that it's important for him if you, at least try, to help him.

Sakura kept saying to her self since she was a little girl that she is always behind and Sasuke + Naruto are getting further and further away, because she can't do stuff good enough... and Sai played a part in contributing to Sakura accepting it.

this is btw what the conversation with Iruka is about... he said everyone changed... but Sakura was sad because she didn't, she is still the one who can't do anything to help him

You're still on this, just forget it.You're assuming too much, most importantly you're assuming that Hidan, simply because of his weapon, is weak in close combat when everything seems to suggest otherwise.

No, I'm not saying that... I'm saying that he is weaker in very close range than he is when he has 1-2 meters to spare.. because that is where the range of his weapon plays it's part.

however it doesn't mean that he is completely useless if someone manages to get past his "line of defense"

There is also the matter that Asuma seems to be unable to take on guys who are stronger than he is, especially if they have a big weapon.

and two guys with massive blades(Izumo and Kotetsu) should have an advantage over a single unarmed ninja(Kakuzu)

see? it's possible to beat the enemy even if he has the advantage... btw Kakazu probably used a jutsu when he stopped the sword with his hand, maybe he used that "hand of steel" technique again (the technique he used when he blew upen the temple-gate)

and what should Asuma do then? simply give up and let himself get killed?
As I said that they are fighting in melee right now doesn't mean anything... and from what we've seen so far Hidan is always the one who tries to get in melee combat. Maybe he's the one who cornered Asuma and forced him to switch into melee.

but like I said its just an OP.

yes but why not discussing it? it's not only about the OP but about fighting in general.

let's remember what did Kakashi do vs Zabuza... after the clone kills clone event he was actually *very* suprised that Zabuza is also good in Taijutsu, thus good in close combat and only *then* he tried to get some range betweem them.

he saw the big weapon and expected him to be slow in making hit-combinations.. then Zabuza switched in Taijutsu mode and instantly got the advantage because kakashi didn't see it comming...
the same could be done by Hidan..

btw you know why asuma got hit? because he kept jumping back which brought him back to Hidans favorite 1-2 meter range, and he paid for doing so.
It's probalby just that Asuma didn't expect Hidan to be sooo good in close combat, that he is actually able to block his supression and overpower and countertake him shortly after.

Abdula
Fri, 09-05-2008, 02:37 PM
I disagree because he made (or at least wanted to ) Sakura feel better... together with Yamato's statement about that it isn't important for Naruto, how much of a help you are, but that it's important for him if you, at least try, to help him.

Sakura kept saying to her self since she was a little girl that she is always behind and Sasuke + Naruto are getting further and further away, because she can't do stuff good enough... and Sai played a part in contributing to Sakura accepting it.

this is btw what the conversation with Iruka is about... he said everyone changed... but Sakura was sad because she didn't, she is still the one who can't do anything to help him
Yes but did we really need to see that at this point?

yes but why not discussing it? it's not only about the OP but about fighting in general.
Because I don't want to. Anyway as for what Asuma should or shouldn't expect from Hidan and Kakuzu, he already knows that they defeated Chiriku and he should know Chiriku's technique better than anyone else so yeah I think he should expect alot.

Narasho
Fri, 09-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Not at all friend. That has nothing to do with the fact that they weren't there.

Even if they weren't shown when the Hokage was sending them out, that doesn't mean they weren't there. Not all of the squads were represented, in the anime or in the manga. And I'm sure you know they are in one of the squads...

DarthEnderX
Fri, 09-05-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with Abdula about the repetitiveness of some of the scenes.

For like two episodes before the fillers, and now three episodes after, its just been Naruto screaming, Kakashi reading, Yamato with his hand out, and Sakura and Sai watching from the tree line.

Like he said, the point has been made. Naruto is determined. Yamato is exhausted. Sai and Sakura are concerned. And Kakashi is still a lazy-ass teacher.

On the otherhand I couldn't disagree more about the fighting in the opening. That kind of back and forth melee combat has always been one of my favorite things about anime. It's basically like watching Lee's taijutsu, only with weapons.

KrayZ33
Fri, 09-05-2008, 03:22 PM
On the otherhand I couldn't disagree more about the fighting in the opening. That kind of back and forth melee combat has always been one of my favorite things about anime. It's basically like watching Lee's taijutsu, only with weapons.

*smashes his fist on the table*

DAMN right

Yukimura
Fri, 09-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Lol Abdula why do you feel the need to reiterate the same point over and over? We're never going to get a 1 to 1 manga to anime adaption so what purpose does it serve to pointing out how much you dislike the latest example of non manga content inserted into the anime at this point in the series? Your repeated comments about the same basic issue remind me of Naruto's repeated bitching about friendship, being lonely, and his boy-crush on Sasuke. I share your opinion of the annoyingness of jamming stuff like Sakura's bad soldier pills and Iruka being a retard in but IIRC you aren't a fan of Naruto's constant rehashing of the same crap over and over so why does it seem you are fine with doing the exact same thing?

You've made your point, you don't like the anime only blurbs showcasing stuff like Sakura's silly desire to be helpful or Sai's struggles with friendship. We get it already, its established, you don't need to keep repeating them over and over again especially when there are other more interesting things you could be saying to fill your posts.

As to the current topic of fighting styles and weapon strengths and weaknesses lets not forget this is Naruto. Realism need only apply where it's dramatically beneficial. Ninja's can essentially fly by occasionally jumping on tree branches, a ninja engulfed in a giant ball of fire doesn't get burned enough to stop fighting (or get injured much at all really), ninja's can jump out of puddles, ninjas can summon animals out of thin air.

I don't see why anyone would assume the laws of physics governing the time it takes to swing an large weapon at something close to the wielder should be any more solid in the Narutoverse than any of the other laws of physics broken by the Narutoverse.

The reality based observation that scythe users are weak at close range is just an assumption in the Narutoverse. The closest I can recall it being tested was with Zabuza's massive sword. Typical ninjas tend to use short kunai or swords as their main weapons, Zabuza used a massive sword, yet Zabuza was more deadly than most typical ninja. To me, this implies that in the Narutoverse there are ways around the assumed disadvantage a large weapon creates against a smaller one. Hidan remarked that his attack speed is the slowest in Akatsuki, but beyond that there's no way to know if there isn't some trick to his attack style that covers for his relative slowness. Hidan's already shown that the reality based observation that people with large bloody spikes sticking out of their chests are severely injured and won't be doing much of anything for a while does not always hold in Naruto, who knows what other surprises he might have (Besides all the manga readers)....

Abdula
Fri, 09-05-2008, 03:52 PM
The reason is simple Yuki,

I'll use this thread then..

I want to start reading the manga, too and I'm currently on the the anime level... Hidan and Kakuzu just killed the monk to get his bounty (the guy from the 12 ninja-guardians)

which chapter or volume is it?
Should I start reading there or even a few chapters before? (maybe the anime made a big mistake in that arc)

I do not intend to read any further than the anime currently is, I think I'm going to read the manga chapter first and then watch the anime (rinse and repeat every weak)... so I get the right story and the animation of the fights too (and I'm still able to discuss things in the anime-threads ^^)

so what chapter is it? and is there a site which still has those old chapters ready for download? (I don't want to read it online, only if there is no other way)
It gets people reading.

I really don't care about all those little things as much as it seems. Me I'll just watch the anime and not care, its not like I watch it for the story anyway. I watch it just to see the action. The reason I keep going on and on about the manga is because it gets people interested in it and I'm still trying to convert as many people as possible.

Beyond that its already been established that bitching about that stuff here is what I do and honestly the real reason I keep doing it is because I can't think of a new shtick.

Even if they weren't shown when the Hokage was sending them out, that doesn't mean they weren't there. Not all of the squads were represented, in the anime or in the manga. And I'm sure you know they are in one of the squads...
Uh, weren't they all there. Its twenty squads, made up of four people. If you look at the over head shot its ten rows eight deep, that is everyone. Anyway fact is in that exact same panel Chouji and Ino weren't there and we really didn't need to see them because they didn't do anything in this scene. Its just more stretching.

Narasho
Fri, 09-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Uh, weren't they all there. Its twenty squads, made up of four people. If you look at the over head shot its ten rows eight deep, that is everyone. Anyway fact is in that exact same panel Chouji and Ino weren't there and we really didn't need to see them because they didn't do anything in this scene. Its just more stretching.

Well, regardless, I think it flows better the way the anime did it (and makes more sense when you take into account what happens later on as I pointed out before). Though I do agree with you that in most cases (99%) the anime has done things worse than the manga.

Yukimura
Fri, 09-05-2008, 04:57 PM
I guess I'm just not keeping up with the times, I remember when the Naruto anime section existed for the sole purpose of discussing the Naruto anime and pandering for (or even mentioning) the manga would have been harshly frowned upon since it unfairly infringed upon the choice of anime watchers to just watch the anime.

I suppose this is a consequence of the 3 seasons of filler. Now no one cares enough to stand up for the old rules anymore :(

I wonder how long it'll be before we can just post spoilers outright, its the stupid anime only watchers fault for being so stupid and not reading the manga. Fuck you, you ignorant anime watchers, read the manga.

I recommend you start with volume 36 if you don't want too much recap. It's all conveniently available at Mangatraders.com (http://www.mangatraders.com/manga/series/4) and I personally packed most of the volumes so you won't have to deal with much hassle, just extract, click on the first page and go (I believe volumes 35-38 even have some color chapters which should help ease the transition from anime to manga).

EDIT: @below: Make things difficult? I'm joining you in your quest. Together we'll convince everyone to read the manga.

Abdula
Fri, 09-05-2008, 05:00 PM
@ Narasho: Thats okay, but I prefer the way the manga did it, I actually prefer being surprised. The anime doesn't seem to like surprising its viewers though they always seem to give everything away, just look at the very end of this episode for example or the whole Kabuto being the spy in Oro's organization. These guys figured out it was Kabuto long before he even showed up and thats just because they decided to give it away.

Heck most of them seem to have already figured out whats going to happen in this arc too.

Don't try and make things difficult for me Yuki.

EDIT: @below: Make things difficult? I'm joining you in your quest. Together we'll convince everyone to read the manga.
*high fives Yukimura*
Okay then.

Archangel
Fri, 09-05-2008, 08:36 PM

Pls, we've been getting that vibe ever since Asuma got center on the new opening instead of kakashi and actually mattered on a filler arc.

I've also considered the possibility that he may take over as naruto's professor, maybe teach him some wind moves but he's probably a goner.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Didn't Kurenai tell Asuma to quit smoking or something?

Other points:

1) From what we know: Hidan has a scythe on a chain. Asuma has knuckle blades. I don't think he has a choice but to go close combat, if he's to combat at all.

2) Kurenai looked like a a crazy killer when she smiled and watered. Blame bad animators for that.

3) Preview shows Kakashi helping Naruto develop his new technique. Then you see a palm with revolving chakra. Wind chakra? Kekashi still hasn't revealed his second element type yet.

Abdula
Fri, 09-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Preview shows Kakashi helping Naruto develop his new technique. Then you see a palm with revolving chakra. Wind chakra? Kekashi still hasn't revealed his second element type yet.

Bill if you really can't figure out what was going on there, then I really don't know what to say. Just a clue it wasn't nature manipulation of any form.

Oh and we already know Kakashi's nature, Lightning and earth I believe it was. Oh and he has copied a number of water techniques. Or was it lightning and water and he copied a number of earth techniques. Either way he uses lightning, earth and water.

Archangel
Fri, 09-05-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm thinking lightening, then water, then fire and then earth based on the number and the power of the jutsus he used.

In fact wind is the only element we've never seen kakashi use, and it's already been established that it's impossible for any ninja to use all 5 elements so i'm thinking there's something else going on there Bill, maybe kakashi was just gathering chakra on the palm of his hand to make a raikiri.

And u can't blame Bill for not knowing what was happening there Abdula, i was quite surprised when i saw it in the manga too.

Abdula
Fri, 09-05-2008, 10:51 PM
I'll say it again we've only seen Kakashi use lightning, water and earth as far as canon material goes and earth is iffy enough already. To hell with that fire ball filler crap. Not like it matters anyway sharingan is an easy enough explanation.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Bill if you really can't figure out what was going on there, then I really don't know what to say. Just a clue it wasn't nature manipulation of any form.

Okay, so that points to chakra manipulation? It does look like the buildup for a rasengan more than anything, so that makes sense.

Which reminds me...new technique = chakra/shape maniuplation + nature manipulation.....I hope next episode doesn't disappoint :D

And u can't blame Bill for not knowing what was happening there Abdula, i was quite surprised when i saw it in the manga too.

Those words are dangerously tempting me to spoil myself.

iMUSTbeTHEdevil
Fri, 09-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Why doesnt Kakashi take this time to train too? Isnt there something he could be working on rather than just chillin with his book?

And funny that Ino and Choji are on a different team now, musta had to have drop the dead weight....

Archangel
Fri, 09-05-2008, 10:59 PM
I'll say it again we've only seen Kakashi use lightning, water and earth as far as canon material goes and earth is iffy enough already. To hell with that fire ball filler crap. Not like it matters anyway sharingan is an easy enough explanation.

What do u mean? In the very first episodes in the bell training he used a earth jutsu to get sasuke buried

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-05-2008, 11:01 PM
What do u mean? In the very first episodes in the bell training he used a earth jutsu to get sasuke buried

Also, would you also consider hiding underground until Sakura's Earthquake Punch revealed him to be an earth technique, or a generic one?

Abdula
Fri, 09-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Thats exactly my point, I don't know. There is some discussion about the difference between a technique and a skill. For example Oro's ability to project his voice is thought to be a skill meaning that anyone could learn to do it, similar to walking on water or walking on walls. The technique Oro used to blend with the trees when we first saw him in the forest of death is also thought to be a skill. Anyway like I said it doesn't really matter, he has the sharingan so it doesn't bother me.

Claire
Fri, 09-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Why doesnt Kakashi take this time to train too? Isnt there something he could be working on rather than just chillin with his book?

I believe it's to make sure naruto doesn't hurt himself, no?

:o

Kraco
Sat, 09-06-2008, 12:34 AM
I wonder how long it'll be before we can just post spoilers outright, its the stupid anime only watchers fault for being so stupid and not reading the manga. Fuck you, you ignorant anime watchers, read the manga.

As long as the post doesn't only contain the one sentence: "Manga was better." there's really no basis to go around warning people. Even "this was different in the manga" isn't really a spoiler unless the poster goes on describing how it was different, and the anime would have somehow fixed itself later, and thus the poster would have revealed that fix before its time.

I'm not personally reading the Naruto manga and I won't take actual manga spoilers kindly.

capoi
Sat, 09-06-2008, 03:08 AM
I think we need to admit they need to create additional scene such as sakura and sai watching naruto, soldier pills, sakura and iruka etc. For me its still acceptable. I feel doubt if they didnt doing this, we need to watch 80 episode full of filler whichever happen in original series.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 09-06-2008, 03:58 AM
I guess I'm just not keeping up with the times, I remember when the Naruto anime section existed for the sole purpose of discussing the Naruto anime and pandering for (or even mentioning) the manga would have been harshly frowned upon since it unfairly infringed upon the choice of anime watchers to just watch the anime.

I suppose this is a consequence of the 3 seasons of filler. Now no one cares enough to stand up for the old rules anymore :(

I wonder how long it'll be before we can just post spoilers outright, its the stupid anime only watchers fault for being so stupid and not reading the manga. Fuck you, you ignorant anime watchers, read the manga.I feel ya. As one of only a couple anime-only watchers left here, it does get annoying.

While I don't mind when Ab tells how the anime differs from the manga, I really think the contant "That'll be revealed soon" "That's wrong, but I can't say why yet" etc. type comments should be considered spoiling, and the mods should crack down on it.

KrayZ33
Sat, 09-06-2008, 04:45 AM
Also, would you also consider hiding underground until Sakura's Earthquake Punch revealed him to be an earth technique, or a generic one?

remember the chuunin exam? Naruto's finishing move against Neji?

I lol'd back then, but now when you mentioned that I begin to think that it is normal for a ninja to dig holes and tunnels in like 5 seconds... and hide in it.

Archangel
Sat, 09-06-2008, 08:39 AM

I'm not sure but the one that kakashi used to bury sasuke was definitely a earth jutsu

He does the same thing in this video to naruto ( it's a filler but it's the same jutsu ) and apparetly the summon he did on zabuza was also an earth summoning

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lodE0O4b5A)

It's like the fourth jutsu, u can't miss it.

Abdula
Sat, 09-06-2008, 10:56 AM
For some reason that video refuses to play, but I wouldn't count his summoning as an earth technique. Its a summoning.

Anyway that just leaves that head hunter technique or whatever the name was and since its a low level technique he could just as easily have copied it. The dude has supposedly copied over a thousand jutsus and the jutsus he uses most frequently are lightning and water, so I say lightning and water it is.

Archangel
Sat, 09-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah, he copied those jutsus with the sharingan but he wouldn't be able to perform them unless he had the proper chakra elemental affinities. One of the things that makes kakashi so awesome is that he's able to control 4 different elements, that's some hokage level shit right there.

I'm thinking that in terms of chakra affinity for the elements:

Lightening is his main element, we know that much

Water should be his second element since he used high lever water jutsus when fighting both Zabuza and Kisame

Fire as a third since we've seen him use the fireball jutsu. It wasn't as strong as itachi's for example but it still packet a mean punch

Earth may be in third or fourth place, probably fourth since we've only seen him use the head hunter jutsu and the summoning jutsu ( it is both a nimpo and a doton jutsu, he clearly states it after completing the seals )

Abdula
Sat, 09-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Yeah, he copied those jutsus with the sharingan but he wouldn't be able to perform them unless he had the proper chakra elemental affinities. One of the things that makes kakashi so awesome is that he's able to control 4 different elements, that's some hokage level shit right there.
But you don't know that

darkmetal505
Sat, 09-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Nice video Arch. Reminded me of how awesome the 3rd was.

I'm pretty sure Kakashi's multiple nature techniques are because of his Sharingan. Although wasn't Kakashi supposed to be a genius as well? Maybe he's just badass like that.

Archangel
Sat, 09-06-2008, 12:55 PM
But you don't know that

What do u mean? We've already been told that u need to have an affinity for a certain element to be able to use jutsus related to that element.

You're the one who's assuming that just because he has the sharingan he's able to use jutsus of all elements simply by copying them.

Abdula
Sat, 09-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Sharingan is pointless if you need to have the affinity of every element just so you can copy it.You wouldn't really need some special kekkai genkai ability if you can already use that element.

Secondly it kinda defeats the purpose of the sharingan if you couldn't copy a technique simply because you don't have that affinity. What if you're an Uchiha but you don't know any nature manipulation except fire, or what if you haven't learned any elemental affinity at all. Whats the point then?

And I'm not the only one assuming stuff, you're making assumptions as well. The thing is I'm not the one saying my assumptions are right and you shouldn't be going around making statements like this .
Yeah, he copied those jutsus with the sharingan but he wouldn't be able to perform them unless he had the proper chakra elemental affinities. One of the things that makes kakashi so awesome is that he's able to control 4 different elements, that's some hokage level shit right there. When you don't know that they're true.

Lastly you read the manga so you should know full well how ill-planned this whole elemental affinity thing is and that kekkai genkais, especially the sharingan, don't operate according to the normal rules.

Board of Command
Sat, 09-06-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm genuinely surprised that the Sakura bedroom scene didn't develop into some hentai thing.

Archangel
Sat, 09-06-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm using the information i have from the anime abdula, don't bring the manga into this.

How would that defeat its purpose? It still allows you to predict your opponents moves, see chakra, use genjutsu, etc... the thing is the biggest hack in the history of anime!!

It would also explain that out of all the sharingan users there were back then kakashi was the only one to get the nickname of "copy ninja".

What am i assuming exactly? We know that he can use 4 elements, that's something we haven't any other character in this anime do.

Abdula
Sat, 09-06-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm using the information i have from the anime abdula, don't bring the manga into this.
First of all if you weren't being an idiot you would understand what I was trying to say here.

How would that defeat its purpose? It still allows you to predict your opponents moves, see chakra, use genjutsu, etc... the thing is the biggest hack in the history of anime!! Those are other abilities I'm talking specifically about the ability to copy "whatever it sees" and except for the seeing chakra part those are skills any ninja can learn therefore they aren't anything special. The byakugan also has the ability to see "the flow of chakra" so that isn't unique. The special thing about the sharingan is its copy ability.

It would also explain that out of all the sharingan users there were back then kakashi was the only one to get the nickname of "copy ninja".
This is one of the sillier things you have said. Firstly there was an entire clan of Uchiha's long before Kakashi was even born and everyone of them had the ability to copy jutsus. I'm sure Itachi has seen and therefore memorized and copied alot more jutsus than Kakashi has but Itachi is an Uchiha and calling an Uchiha "copy ninja" would be redundant since they could all do it. Kakashi got that nick name because he is the only non Uchiha, to have the ability to copy his opponents jutsus. Lastly by the time Kakashi began gaining notoriety the Uchiha clan had already formed the Konoha Police Force, whose purpose was to police the village thus they never left it and soon after that they were all killed by Itachi.

What am i assuming exactly? We know that he can use 4 elements, that's something we haven't any other character in this anime do. Right and he is also the only one that actively uses the sharingan's copy ability and you don't know whether or not he could or couldn't use those other elements before he got the sharingan. So why assume him using multiple elements is unrelated to the sharingan. One could make the argument that if it is unrelated to the sharingan and simply a matter of talent we would have seen other people doing it, since Kakashi doesn't have a monopoly on genius.

I also find it funny that you're willing to say that the sharingan is the biggest hax in the history of anime but you don't think it would give its users the ability to copy jutsus regardless of affinity.

iMUSTbeTHEdevil
Sat, 09-06-2008, 06:30 PM
I thought that we all agreed, or maybe it was just me...

You can do whatever you want. Although if you do have an affinity for a certain type your jutsu's are just going to be more advanced.

That work for anyone as an explaination?

Yukimura
Sat, 09-06-2008, 10:00 PM
I think certain people are just getting caught up on terminology (again). Your affinity is the element type that your chakra is most easily manipulated into. The ability to manipulate your chakra into a particular nature is a different thing. If Sharingan let you use any jutsu regardless of your ability to use nature manipulation then Sasuke wouldn't have had to learn nature manipulation to use Chidori. He would have just looked at Kakashi perform it and then instantly been able to do it too. Yet this is not what happened, Sasuke, a genius with Sharingan had to actually work hard and learn to use nature manipulation so he could use chidori, even after he'd seen it with his Sharingan.

I have yet to see any evidence that Sharingan's jutsu copy ability is anything more than a combination of hyper acute perception and memory for details, mixed with the natural talent anyone can develop to mimic behaviors they intrinsically understand. Sharingan users can watch and perceive every detail of how a person molds their chakra while their performing a technique. This knowledge is likely what makes it so easy for them to replicate the same effect the original user got even without being taught the way the original user was.

However just as you can't copy a jutsu that uses more chakra than you can produce you can't copy a jutsu that requires you to manipulate chakra in a way you don't know how to do (until you learn how to manipulate it that way of course).

Jessper
Sat, 09-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Yet this is not what happened, Sasuke, a genius with Sharingan had to actually work hard and learn to use nature manipulation so he could use chidori, even after he'd seen it with his Sharingan.

Minus the part where it isn't a Jutsu?

All in all I'm not sure why there is such a big argument over this. We don't have evidence either way since the whole subject is pretty hush hush so why put all that effort into asserting you are correct?

Abdula
Sat, 09-06-2008, 10:38 PM
We don't have evidence either way since the whole subject is pretty hush hush so why put all that effort into asserting you are correct?
That's all I've been trying to say.

Archangel
Sat, 09-06-2008, 10:49 PM
However just as you can't copy a jutsu that uses more chakra than you can produce you can't copy a jutsu that requires you to manipulate chakra in a way you don't know how to do (until you learn how to manipulate it that way of course).

Exactly my point.

Yukimura
Sun, 09-07-2008, 03:11 AM
It bothers me when people draw conclusions like "Anyone with Sharingan could learn any jutsu with no other effort required other than looking at the jutsu". That idea demeans the fact that all three of the people we've seen use the Sharingan were reputed as geniuses before they ever even activated their sharingans. Attributing everything they accomplished to Sharingan Shenanigans demeans their individual talent and cheapens their characters to Naruto levels.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-07-2008, 03:24 AM
Do medic-nin abandon regular combat training for medical jutsu? Because from the tree climbing exercise, Sakura is capable of chakra control to the highest level.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-07-2008, 03:29 AM
I think certain people are just getting caught up on terminology (again). Your affinity is the element type that your chakra is most easily manipulated into. The ability to manipulate your chakra into a particular nature is a different thing. If Sharingan let you use any jutsu regardless of your ability to use nature manipulation then Sasuke wouldn't have had to learn nature manipulation to use Chidori. He would have just looked at Kakashi perform it and then instantly been able to do it too. Yet this is not what happened, Sasuke, a genius with Sharingan had to actually work hard and learn to use nature manipulation so he could use chidori, even after he'd seen it with his Sharingan.

I have yet to see any evidence that Sharingan's jutsu copy ability is anything more than a combination of hyper acute perception and memory for details, mixed with the natural talent anyone can develop to mimic behaviors they intrinsically understand. Sharingan users can watch and perceive every detail of how a person molds their chakra while their performing a technique. This knowledge is likely what makes it so easy for them to replicate the same effect the original user got even without being taught the way the original user was.

However just as you can't copy a jutsu that uses more chakra than you can produce you can't copy a jutsu that requires you to manipulate chakra in a way you don't know how to do (until you learn how to manipulate it that way of course).This. All of this.

Archangel
Sun, 09-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Do medic-nin abandon regular combat training for medical jutsu? Because from the tree climbing exercise, Sakura is capable of chakra control to the highest level.

Well we haven't seen many medical nin but from what can tell only people with a high level of chakra control can learn this healing method, after they master it they use it to heal themselves and their team members during combat. As for their style of fighting they all seem to have their individual one almost always based on a technique that itself requires a high degree of chakra control ( tsunade's and sakura's power kicks and punches, kabuto's "scalpel hands", shizune's poison attacks, etc )

KrayZ33
Sun, 09-07-2008, 08:56 AM
I think medical nin's don't focus on elemental jutsus, but on techniques which require a good chakra control or are based on chakra manipulation.
they are probably a bit like Neji's techniques...just not so "gentle" kabuto for example also tried to hit certain spots to disable some body functions or to irritate the nerve-system. and so on

so basically: ya, they abadon regular combat training.

Sakura's combat training for example was focussed on dodging.
So I guess they train their chakra control + Taijutsu only

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Well, its not even like you need to use an element to kick ass. I mean, characters like Chouji and Shikamaru do fine with no elemental attack. And hell, Lee can't even do ninjitsu, elemental or otherwise, and he kicks more ass than anyone!

Archangel
Sun, 09-07-2008, 05:16 PM
In Lee's case you're right but those other 2 seem to relie on shadow and/or light manipulation, which apparently allows as much ( or even more ) diversity in attacks as controlling 1 or 2 elements..

I mean just look at shikamaru, he can control the enemy, choke him, use the shadow as spikes and who knows what else.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-07-2008, 06:32 PM
I mean just look at shikamaru, he can control the enemy, choke him, use the shadow as spikes and who knows what else.

We haven't seen that yet. The OP doesn't count :p

Archangel
Sun, 09-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Lol even if the OP doesn't count you've seen it when he used it against Sai's ink dogs

I'm always very careful not to drop the ball on any spoilers when posting here :)

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Lol even if the OP doesn't count you've seen it when he used it against Sai's ink dogs

I'm always very careful not to drop the ball on any spoilers when posting here :)

..You win. :o

DarthEnderX
Mon, 09-08-2008, 04:05 AM
Well, even if we consider Shikamaru's jutsu as some kind of dark-element manipulation, you can't say Chouji's attacks are element based.

Also, there things like Genjutsu and puppetry etc. that have nothing to do with elements.

Abdula
Mon, 09-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Well I don't know about puppetry, I think the idea of ninjas using puppets was pretty stupid anyway but medical jutsu, genjutsu, chouji's jutsus etc are all yin and yang.. So anything that can't be explained by just shape manipulation or nature manipulation or both is supposedly yin/yang, which Kishi conveniently hasn't explained.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 09-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Well, puppetry is just chakra shape manipulation, since you form it into strings through which to control your puppets.

Its just that, for example, while Rasengan is supposedly the highest level of shape manipulation, forming strings is probably alot lower. But you have to make alot more of them, and use them with much more precision.

Archangel
Mon, 09-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Wouldn't the chakra strings used in puppetry be considered shape manipulation? there's actually an example in the manga that would backup this theory quite nicely, you probably know what i'm talking about Abdula.

Edit: Lol Darth beat me to it

As for chouji's jutsu, it's probably some sort of shadow manipulation. Goes with teh samke principle of the kage bunshin but instead of creating more matter in separate bodies he just adds more to himself. Shitty explanation i know, but till Kishi comes up with something half believable to explain this, it's what i'm going with

DarthEnderX
Mon, 09-08-2008, 11:19 AM
EDIT: Double post

DarthEnderX
Mon, 09-08-2008, 11:22 AM
I think chouji's techniques are closer to medical ninjutsu than anything else. Since your using your chakra to effect a living body.

Then you get into someone really weird like Shino. Are those bugs just trained like the way Kiba would train a dog, or does he control them with his chakra somehow?

So anything that can't be explained by just shape manipulation or nature manipulation or both is supposedly yin/yang, which Kishi conveniently hasn't explained.When you say yin and yang, is that what DB translated as Light and Dark manipulations?

Archangel
Mon, 09-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Nah, medical jutsu is about restoring while shaodw jutsu seem to be about transforming

The bugs are probably already trained by their ancestors to obey their owner, than it's a matter of how many bugs you can handle in your body ( chakra supply ) and how imaginative you can be with your attacks.

Edit: Yeah it probably is, the manga also translated it that way ( y the double post? )

Abdula
Tue, 09-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah yin and yang is what they called it in the manga, DB translated it to light/dark. I prefer to use yin and yang though it makes a lot more sense that way. I agree with DarthEnder, I think Chouji's techniques are closely related to medical jutsu although since its yin and yang its probably just a matter of balance, this much yin to this much yang. I suppose all three of their techniques, Shikamaru's, Chouji's and Ino's are related.

Nobody try to explain Shino's jutsu because no matter how you look at it, it doesn't make any sense.

Death BOO Z
Tue, 09-09-2008, 06:08 PM
why not? shino bug training makes as much sense as Kiba and Akamaru merging into a two headed chimera (special note: WHAT THE HELL?).

(note: last anime episode I saw was 130, or something, right when the fillers started).

it's not like shino just takes any bug he finds outside and mind-controls it. the bugs he uses are special breed. probably the result of genetic experiments of twisted apiarists.
it's not even so hard to figure, shino acts as hive\queen, and by use of pheromones, can direct them to do certain actions.

anyway... continuing the discussion of crap in narutoverse. what group does Kage bunshin fall into?
it looks like form manipulation, but then you'd have to believe that a sentient being, with ability to move and acts on his own, is less complicated than gathering some chackra in your hand.
also, despite the name, it has nothing to do with shadow manipulation (shdaow, darkness, Yang, evil parts of the color spectrum). and the yin\yang crap is just a lousy way to bail-out of a serious explanation about jutsus.

DBZ, didn't watch naruto anime since 2005. and it's much better this way.

Archangel
Tue, 09-09-2008, 06:49 PM
DBZ, didn't watch naruto anime since 2005. and it's much better this way.

No shit. We seriously have to get these guys to watch Soul Eater, now that's what i call a kickass shonnen anime

DarthEnderX
Tue, 09-09-2008, 07:26 PM
it's not like shino just takes any bug he finds outside and mind-controls it.Actually, I'm pretty sure he can do that. Since during the chuunin exam it shows him using a bunch of, I guess they're like, giant tree leeches to attack another team. He certainly doesn't carry those around with him.

lelouch
Tue, 09-09-2008, 10:15 PM
My theory is that it is either one of two things.

1) Shino has the ability to communicate with the bugs, whether it be through brain impulses or chakra.

2) Because Shino feeds the bugs his chakra, maybe they don't digest the chakra immediately, allowing them to store the chakra in their bodies. Considering this chakra is still Shino's, maybe he is able to manipulate it even though it is outside of his body.

This second theory does bring up a lot of questions though, as I have always thought of chakra to flow through the body such as blood, but then again using chakra: people like yamato are able to move trees into the direction he wants.

So maybe he has a strong affinity for inserting chakra into insects?

Dark Dragon
Thu, 09-11-2008, 05:33 PM
No shit. We seriously have to get these guys to watch Soul Eater, now that's what i call a kickass shonnen anime

Or One Piece if you want a long running shonen series that is not constantly disappointing.

Anyways, since we are on the topic of shit in Naruto that doesn't make sense there is one thing that has always bothered me.

The Replacement Jutsu

Here we have this incredibly convenient technique usable even by little kids that let you replace your body with a chunk of wood and potentially stop you from dying, except for the fact that NOBODY ever fucking uses it when they are about to die.

It seem that most ninja forget every single basic jutsu the moment they reach a certain rank since a lot (like 95% of the no name ninja that attacked Konoha) are prone to dying from shuriken or kunai without even putting up a fight.

I can understand why he introduced the technique since it's a famous ninja staple but it would've been nice to introduce some limitation that would prevent peoples from using it readily in battle (like using up a large percentage of your charka) instead of never actually explaining it so now we have a shit load of inconsistencies in the story.

Death BOO Z
Thu, 09-11-2008, 08:09 PM
easy.
it's taijutsu movement, a skill depending on speed ant expertise. you need to have something to switch with close by, and be fast enough to do it, that's why it mostly used by Kakashi.

people who won't use it (and reasons for it).
Naruto: too stupid to think of dodging, too sucking a being cool to preform properly.
Sasuke: too cool for taijutsu, he's all about the show and the shannigans.
Sakura: honsetly, sakura? who's adapt at dodging and is smart? she's a girl, and girls can't be ninjas.
Sai: too cool for anything that didn't come from art school.
villains: they can't use anything that isn't their special power, so anything basic is out of the question.

that covers it, anyone other than Kakashi can't use the replacement skill. it's like a forbidden taijutsu skill.

(obviously, someone has to say that it's a ninjutsu skill and then I'll have to say that Kishimonto is an idiot, which I could have said from the start and not have to write this all)

Buffalobiian
Thu, 09-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Sakura hasn't been using now since she can either dodge or punch whatever's thrown at her, but pre-shippuuden, the Replacement Technique was like the one she used the most.

I guess if all the ninjas use it too much, it'll just be a hax move, if it isn't already.

Other people who have used it (or a variation of it) recently:

1) Sasori (Sand Substitution Technique) - against Konkoro
2) Yamato (Wood Substitution Technique) - FAIL XD

Buffalobiian
Thu, 09-11-2008, 10:31 PM
-double post.