PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome

Munsu
Wed, 09-03-2008, 12:25 PM
So Google came out with their own Web Browser... anyone tried it yet?
http://www.google.com/chrome?hl=en

David75
Wed, 09-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Yup I'm currently using it.
All in all it's not too bad for a 0.2

But the lack for plugins like Adblock (a real dream that one)
Some little ergonomics to think a little more
Some little adjusting for webpages (minor, but there...)
A bit of a cpu hog on older platforms (or I was unlucky with my work laptop)

Then I'd like to be able to choose the sites I want to appear in the quicklink window... or erase those I don't want to appear.
I'd like to be able to erase entries from the history individually, rather than the whole day
Etc...

We have to remember it's a 0.2 bêta... Even google can't be perfect from scratch (and it wasn't even from scratch if I understand correctly)

It's fast, really

RyougaZell
Wed, 09-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Can't download it at work... ironically since we provide gmail in our internet services... that is why I think our IT security 'expert' is an idiot.

Will try later at home.

Lucifus
Wed, 09-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Hah, I like it. Streamlined.

I'll run it for a few days and see if I keep my opinion.

David75
Wed, 09-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Hah, I like it. Streamlined.

I'll run it for a few days and see if I keep my opinion.

If you have a number of website you need to browse quite a lot, it's fast and easy.

I guess with time it'll get more refined. Like FF did a lot of effort and got better. IE too in fact, due to the pressure.

The thing is that I got immediately hooked to it, even though it's not perfect. Speed is all I guess :D

Shift+click on a link to open it in a new window
Ctrl+Click to open it in a new tab in background...

Maybe it lacks a group open, to open multiple tabs at once.

Thing is I want more now... we'll see if google can give us lots of updates.
I've been using it for 24 hours (well, had work too :D)

Kraco
Wed, 09-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Ctrl+Click to open it in a new tab in background...

I bet it would also accept the middle button click like FF...

Board of Command
Wed, 09-03-2008, 02:00 PM
I'll stick with Firefox. It may not be the fastest browser around, but it's fast enough for me and its abundance of plug-ins really puts it over the top.

I wouldn't mind switching to another browser if it's as feature rich as Firefox.

python862
Wed, 09-03-2008, 02:02 PM
I just got my computer back, and I've been missing the joys of Firefox, so for now, I'm sticking by it. Maybe in a few weeks I'll try Chrome, but I'm happy with what I have.

David75
Wed, 09-03-2008, 02:06 PM
I'll stick with Firefox. It may not be the fastest browser around, but it's fast enough for me and its abundance of plug-ins really puts it over the top.

I wouldn't mind switching to another browser if it's as feature rich as Firefox.

Yup, Chrome is too young to be the main browser for an internet addict.
For the moment it's fun for me, So I use it, but eventually I'll go back to my use of Maxthon (IE under hood) and FF with a little touch of Opera...

Jessper
Wed, 09-03-2008, 02:19 PM
GIFs devastate Chrome currently, I'm sure it is a beta thing but kind of annoying. Other than that I don't see any real reason to avoid it. Never was a big fan of ad block (just ignored the ads anyways).

darkshadow
Wed, 09-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Trying it right now, and it's pretty cool, fast. And i really dig the seperate process stuff and build in taskmanager, that's just sexy.

edit: the tabs being on top is a bit of an annoyance when maximized, since my winamp is a bar thats always on top, at the top of my screen, so I can't reach the tabs without moving/minimizing winamp, minor annoyance.

Assertn
Wed, 09-03-2008, 02:39 PM
http://blogoscoped.com/google-chrome/

There's a lot of things addressed in this document that really appeal to me. Too bad there's no mac version :(

David75
Wed, 09-03-2008, 02:59 PM
http://blogoscoped.com/google-chrome/

There's a lot of things addressed in this document that really appeal to me. Too bad there's no mac version :(

well since it's based on webkit like safari, I guess that when they decide to expand the OSes, Mac users won't be forgotten.

Koyuki
Wed, 09-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Pretty sure that there's comming a mac and linux version soon, this is just a beta. One thing that's really good is it that Chrome is open-source. I'm sticking with Opera, at least for now.

Ryllharu
Wed, 09-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Chrome calls home a lot apparently, and sends tidbits back to google whenever you use their "awesome" bar. I can't say I'm really all that surprised, it's google's main business model and google (the site) has increased my search accuracy or at least gets a better idea for what I'm looking for. It also installs a GoogleUpdater.exe that you need to rip out of the registry should you choose to uninstall Chrome.

More disturbing was this, hidden in the EULA.
[users] give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and nonexclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services."Services" being the browser itself, but I imagine it was meant to include all the apps they intent to load on the Chrome Platform.

The good news is now Google is claiming that was a mistake, and the change is being made retroactive. [Source: ArsTechnica (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080903-google-on-chrome-eula-controversy-our-bad-well-change-it.html)]

For the most part, I still think it's a mishmash of Firefox and Opera. All the features of the tabs (with the exceptions of the unique processes for each) is straight out of Opera 9.5's UI. This includes the "New Tab Page" which is also better known as Opera's Speed Dial.

I'm going to pass and stick with Opera.

Assertn
Wed, 09-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Firefox is a piece of shit that usually occupies the largest percentage of my ram if I keep it running for half a day. The problem is exactly what chrome addresses: garbage collection.

Kraco
Thu, 09-04-2008, 01:20 AM
More disturbing was this, hidden in the EULA."Services" being the browser itself, but I imagine it was meant to include all the apps they intent to load on the Chrome Platform.

At least it's nonexclusive...

I didn't actually run to FF among the first back then, only switching to it from IE once I learned about the tabbed browsing, so I suppose I'm not really a very big browser enthusiast. I might have a look at Chrome once the next version comes out. It should have all or most user reported problems fixed and thus should be a lot better.

Assertn
Thu, 09-04-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm not a browser enthusiast....i'm an RIA enthusiast

Animeniax
Thu, 09-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Did you leave out the other A?

I'm not a big browser guy either. Just gimme my webpages and the rest of the knick knacks can take a rest, dagnabit.

KrayZ33
Thu, 09-04-2008, 11:34 AM
did you guys read the terms and conditions when you installed it? I don't like them :(

if you use the browser in connection with your own copyrelated material by uploading it on your webspace for example (photos, own songs, own videos, art) you allow them to use it...and in general, it saves a lot of stuff about you, for example on which sites you browse plus; they create a individual ID for every chrome user... if you write down your adress somewhere, it will save it and probably use it.

Firefox is a piece of shit that usually occupies the largest percentage of my ram if I keep it running for half a day. The problem is exactly what chrome addresses: garbage collection.

Oo FF doesn't need "a lot of RAM" it's actually pretty normal... but chrome and the new IE8 do, if you open ~10 sites at once it will use up to 180 RAM at the moment (because it opens a new process everytime you open a new browser window or even tab, which isn't bad btw but it needs a lot of virtual memory)... windows only occupies 150MB... this very is shocking.imho...
a *browser* needs more RAM than your system.

however IE8 needs less memory than Chrome which uses the same "1 tab 1 process system"

since chrome is also open source (like Safari or FF) it will get a lot better once it's final... but right now, it's shit simply because it saves so much stuff about you. (this will be removed by other users who have some knowledge with about;config... I do not ^^)

use FF3, it *is* one of the fastet at the moment. and you can always tune it btw..
there are a lot of sites which can give you the right config for your computer
FF3.1 will be even faster than chrome most likely.

btw I found a english-speaking site where they made a test..
Chrome, the "fattest" of them all (http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2008/09/google-chrome-fattest-of-them-all.html)

so if you alrdy complain about FF using too much of your RAM, you shouldn't even try Chrome...

for me, I'll wait till it's final and test it again. (with a modified config)

David75
Thu, 09-04-2008, 12:15 PM
this is a beta, and yes it can be considered a hog as of yet.
But when you have more than enough ram and a quick processor/disk and so on... I admitt it's quite fast and interresting to use it.

But yes, I'll eventually switch to my other uses and will also wait for a 1.0 to come out.
But really, this is the first time since I tried maxthon -tabbed browsing for ie6 at the time if I'm correct- that I've been so pleased with a new piece of software.

When I tried FF, maxthon had done the job of showing me neat tab handling... so I wasn't that impressed. Also, I've been a late adopter of FF...

Anyways, I still think having another competitor is fine. So work hard FF and IE!

KrayZ33
Thu, 09-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Anyways, I still think having another competitor is fine. So work hard FF and IE!

it's *google* we are talking about.

if it goes on like this, google will just gain another monopole ^^

edit

" 11. Content license from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license."

Animeniax
Thu, 09-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Google got in trouble a year or so ago for retaining too much information from its user base. I don't know the outcome of the litigation, but it seems they're all about gathering as much data about users as they can, supposedly to "better individualize the web browsing experience". We all know what kind of future this sort of big brother intelligence gathering can lead to. Think 1984, or the eye-scans from Minority Report.

David75
Thu, 09-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Google got in trouble a year or so ago for retaining too much information from its user base. I don't know the outcome of the litigation, but it seems they're all about gathering as much data about users as they can, supposedly to "better individualize the web browsing experience". We all know what kind of future this sort of big brother intelligence gathering can lead to. Think 1984, or the eye-scans from Minority Report.

I answer to Krayz at the same time.

Yup Google is a big brother.
They've been targeted for the EULA and changed it immediately, with retroactive effect.

What I like it the fact they do it open-source. After all, there is someone, somewhere able to understand the code and pinpoint them whenever they cross the line...

KrayZ33
Thu, 09-04-2008, 12:50 PM
What I like it the fact they do it open-source.

this is indeed good, because people can deactivate the annoying stuff this way if they really want to use it, but still... its not faster than Safari and not really better than FF, it takes away more Memory and all in all it's just a mixed version of other browsers right now..

It's nothing new.. so there was no need for them to bring up this new browser, except for one certain reason: to get more info and gain even more money with ads etc. ^^

I don't see their "don't be evil" slogan anymore.. Google is/was great when it came out, it was something totally new which made surfing a lot easier I have to admit I still use it... but this browser isn't something like this.

Kraco
Thu, 09-04-2008, 01:40 PM
That EULA is complete madness. Whoever wrote it should be kicked into the pit.

Assertn
Thu, 09-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Did you leave out the other A?
RIA = Rich Internet Application

did you guys read the terms and conditions when you installed it? I don't like them :(
Did you guys read Ryllharu's post right above mine?:rolleyes:

Oo FF doesn't need "a lot of RAM" it's actually pretty normal... but chrome and the new IE8 do, if you open ~10 sites at once it will use up to 180 RAM at the moment (because it opens a new process everytime you open a new browser window or even tab, which isn't bad btw but it needs a lot of virtual memory)... windows only occupies 150MB... this very is shocking.imho...
As I'm typing this, firefox is occupying 171mb of ram. I have 7 tabs open. It's not unusual for it to occupy closer to +300 mb though.

so if you alrdy complain about FF using too much of your RAM, you shouldn't even try Chrome...
If I force-quit firefox and then reload all the exact same sites, I will have freed up at least half my ram that was used by firefox. This is far worse than using more ram from the get-go. This suggests that there's a memory leak. I don't care if chrome uses more ram, just as long as I can close tabs without quitting the whole app.

KrayZ33
Thu, 09-04-2008, 03:26 PM
RIA = Rich Internet Application
As I'm typing this, firefox is occupying 171mb of ram. I have 7 tabs open. It's not unusual for it to occupy closer to +300 mb though.

it depends on the sites you open... pr0n-sites do need a lot btw.

If I force-quit firefox and then reload all the exact same sites, I will have freed up at least half my ram that was used by firefox. This is far worse than using more ram from the get-go. This suggests that there's a memory leak. I don't care if chrome uses more ram, just as long as I can close tabs without quitting the whole app.

cache maybe?

this has nothing to do with a memory leak... a way to prove it is if you open FF and leave it be... if it occupies more and more ram, _then_ it's a memory leak, but it doesn't so there is nothing wrong with the programming of FF
and if you want to clear the cache your browser use, simply install a addon.. takes like ~2 seconds at least with firefox, because there is this nice "addon" button if you click on Extras

you can even tell it to clear it's cache after it reaches 10MB RAM or so with a certain programm.. however that was with ff2 I don't know if there is one for FF3 alrdy. I think it was called StatusCache (or something)

so just clear your temporary files/cache more often when you are browsing for like 5 hours on different sites... if you don't this will happen with every browser.

and btw, why can't you close tabs without closing FF? I didn't understand that one

Assertn
Thu, 09-04-2008, 03:52 PM
it depends on the sites you open... pr0n-sites do need a lot btw.
No they don't.

cache maybe?

this has nothing to do with a memory leak... a way to prove it is if you open FF and leave it be... if it occupies more and more ram, _then_ it's a memory leak, but it doesn't so there is nothing wrong with the programming of FF
and if you want to clear the cache your browser use, simply install a addon.. takes like ~2 seconds at least with firefox, because there is this nice "addon" button if you click on Extras

you can even tell it to clear it's cache after it reaches 10MB RAM or so with a certain programm.. however that was with ff2 I don't know if there is one for FF3 alrdy. I think it was called StatusCache (or something)
This is incorrect. Closing the browser doesn't remove cache. Being someone who works on web apps on a regular basis, I can safely say this. Most cache exists in the form of files stored on the hard drive, anyway, so that doesn't make any sense in the first place.

The nice thing about chrome, however, is that it can tell you exactly how your memory/cpu is allocated across processes, so you wouldn't even need to draw inferences if you had it installed!

Apps that clear ram only exist if the apps that use the ram fail to garbage collect (aka firefox). The existence of something like StatusCache merely proves how bloated FF3 is.

and btw, why can't you close tabs without closing FF? I didn't understand that one
I can, but it doesn't accomplish anything.

Also, for the record....haven't closed firefox since my last post, and my ram usage is now 190 mb.

KrayZ33
Thu, 09-04-2008, 05:36 PM
then

1. type about:config
2. right mous click : New -> Boolean
3. type in "config.trim_on_minimize"
4. choose "true"
5. if there is a new entry, it works
6. restart firefox
7. problem solved.

I've never had this problem (maybe because I use a modified version and my ram goes rarely *that* high up.. actually it didn't even once yet) but this should fix it.

which version of FF did or do you use actually?

and it *must* have to do with the browser-cache.
because if you minimize your FF now if you don't need it, it should clear it with this config edit.

edit: 1 sec I made a few pics.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/2057/firefox1bv7.th.jpg (http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=firefox1bv7.jpg)

this is my Firefox using after a bit of browsing BEFORE the edit, 7 sites open at the moment.. however I was on other sites as well..~85 MB RAM (if I remember the pic correctly)

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/1830/firefox23ha1.th.jpg (http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=firefox23ha1.jpg)

this is Firefox after I minimized every window... it really deletes everything then, i guess... however it startedf to use more and more RAM. (I thought I failed at first ^^)

edit: I just noticed that I posted the same picture twice.. the third picture was meant to show the same picture as in the second, however FF did take up to ~54MB ram...
this is Firefox after some seconds again and it stopped right here... so this is the same result I (and you) get after force-quitting FF and restart it + have it reloading the same pages again..just this time you only had to minimize it... if you browse with tabs it's only one click then.

So I guess it has to do with FF saving everything, even stuff from the sites you visited 2 hours ago or something.

but it's a fact that the ram doesn't rise if you do *nothing* (if you are AFK for example...) however if you continue to work with it later,I guess it will add more and more and use more and more RAM...

BurnHavoc
Sat, 09-06-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm enjoying chrome. For a beta, it's amazing. I'd like to see fixes like facebook ACTUALLY working, recognizing RSS feeds, maybe some communication with other google products like Google Desktop and Picasa... etc

My IE7 vs Chrome comparison:

http://www.direwolves.net/chrome_vs_ie7.jpg

I have issues with firefox bloat as it is, so I don't have it installed. (The worst offense firefox has going is how much MORE memory it eats if I leave it open with several tabs going for a few hours then try to use it. I actually grabbed Chrome based solely on the garbage collection promises)

And the EULA? Fix't, but yeah that was massive fail on their part.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Google_removes_ownership_claim_from_Chrome_EULA

Animeniax
Sat, 09-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Ugh, too blue and care-bearish for me. How can you guys complain about memory usage in an age of 4GB PC systems and dirt cheap RAM?

I don't know if Firefox reads system specs, but that's a little too much info for my web browser to be collecting (and uploading to the big brother server at Google headquarters).

Assertn
Sat, 09-06-2008, 12:35 PM
I had left 8 tabs open overnight, and just now closed each one except for this gotwoot one.

The ram usage from firefox went from 277 -> 285 - > 240
One tab open (vbulletin forum, no less), and its still fluctuating between 240-245mb.
Closing tabs did practically nothing.

Then I force quit firefox, and reopen the gotwoot tab.
Ram usage is now at 70mb.

Doesn't this strike you as.......bad?
I don't really know how much more obvious I can make it...there's simply no other explanation for why this would happen other than firefox isn't managing its ram properly.

Animeniax
Sat, 09-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Well it's open source for a reason. Don't gripe about it here man, go post this on the Mozilla forums and get it fixed.

I'll buy Google stock when they dip under $400, but I won't use their browser.

Assertn
Sat, 09-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Well it's open source for a reason. Don't gripe about it here man, go post this on the Mozilla forums and get it fixed.
Good idea. I'm sure nobody's thought to complain about firefox being a memory hog in their forum before!

KrayZ33
Sat, 09-06-2008, 01:54 PM
I told you how to fix it..and the problem that it uses more and more ram overnight is probably ur fault... because I don't have such a problem... i could leave it open and it wouldn't go up over ~50MB if I minimize my tabs.. maybe some kind of virus?

and btw the Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) in germany said that that google chrome has serious security gaps/holes and shouldn't be used by the masses

and other security companies did say the same...
http://www.crn.com/security/210500382

btw did you clear your historys sometimes?
and you can always reduce the amount of cache you allow firefox to use... (about:cache)
or the amount of sites FF saves when browsing back and forward.

and... if all that doesn't work.. you can configure it to close and restart (with all your sites again) itself automatically.

Abdula
Sat, 09-06-2008, 02:05 PM
KrayZ, Assertn isn't the only one who has that problem I have it too and I believe someone else mentioned having a similar problem, Burnhavoc mentioned it on this very same page. Albeit its not as much of a big deal as Assertn is making it out to be but the problem is there.

KrayZ33
Sat, 09-06-2008, 02:10 PM
http://support.mozilla.com/de/kb/Session+Restore

then follow these instructions if you don't want to switch your browser to Safari or something...

edit: one moment ^^ it's not the whole article

ok can't find it anymore... there is a way you can restart firefox every few hours or minutes (as you wish) and have it reload your tabs if you do it... I'll try to find it out myself or to find the article

edit2: ok nevermind that was an addon.or something well... I doubt that you need it if you followed the other instructions and tipps I mentioned before.

summary

Clear your histories frequently (and do not save it for 90 days... standard preference)
Reduce the Cache you allow FF to use or the amount of sites FF saves when browsing back and forward.
Or do that "clear cache when you minimize FF" trick I posted before.

edit3: some of those tipps (and maybe even more) can be found here http://support.mozilla.com/de/kb/High+memory+usage
It seems like not everyone has this high memory usage, I don't know why.

maybe you guys should just create a new profile and import your bookmarks and passwords etc...

or you just install a pre-configured profile, like I did ^^

Animeniax
Sat, 09-06-2008, 02:26 PM
I told you how to fix it..and the problem that it uses more and more ram overnight is probably ur fault... because I don't have such a problem... i could leave it open and it wouldn't go up over ~50MB if I minimize my tabs.. maybe some kind of virus?

and btw the Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) in germany said that that google chrome has serious security gaps/holes and shouldn't be used by the masses

and other security companies did say the same...
http://www.crn.com/security/210500382

btw did you clear your historys sometimes?
and you can always reduce the amount of cache you allow firefox to use... (about:cache)
or the amount of sites FF saves when browsing back and forward.

and... if all that doesn't work.. you can configure it to close and restart (with all your sites again) itself automatically.
assertn doesn't like shit to work so he can keep griping about it. When you live a fabulous Hollywood life, you have to have something to gripe about.

Assertn
Sat, 09-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Well the memory caching thing is one thing I can look into, but the rest merely perpetuates the exact conversation we've been having earlier, in that (as explicitly stated in the first paragraph) yes there are memory leaks, and yes the reliance of plugins to solve a problem with the original app is ridiculous. You're not supposed to distribute a product to millions of users, and then expect them to fix it themselves.

@Animeniax: It's completely subjective to imply that a resource hog should never have a noticeable impact on the performance of the user's computer. I have 2 gigs on my imac and I run multiple apps that (justifiably so), consume a lot of ram already. I can't afford my browser to become yet another bloated app. When I am forced to close all my browser tabs so my other apps can run properly even though I need my browser while I'm doing my work, I'm not happy.

Also, lol @ KrayZ's suggestion of a virus for mac that artificially bloats firefox.

KrayZ33
Sat, 09-06-2008, 02:52 PM
well okay thats very unlike unless there is a second process called firefox.exe ^_^

I just don't understand why my firefox isn't occupying if I leave it be as it is... and didn't do anything special with it :/

it only rises when I'm browsing, because it saves the sites I loaded and also adds them to the history.. but thats normal.. and if i ever notice it to get too hight (never did that before) I could just minimize it... or restart it and have it reloading my sites.

btw I don't know if one of the links I posted did tell you how to make FF stop using your ram and make it possible for windows to use it for other programms instead...but that is also possible, maybe this can help you too. ^^

but it's just as I said.. I would either use Safari or FF... and not Google Chrome as long as it is a beta

see the link with security holes... and don't underestimate it, Chrome is beeing discussed in a lot of forums at the moment and on a gaming forum (for WoW) 2 people had to reinstall windows most likely because of google chrome.

Assertn
Sat, 09-06-2008, 04:27 PM
I can't really speak on behalf of google chrome itself, since I haven't had the opportunity to use it. I just think that the problems google is attempting to address with current browsers is very important, and far better than just accepting things for the way they are...

Some people decide to look the other way, and refuse to acknowledge Firefox's inherent problems, but instead tailor their own environment and habits to cope with the software. That's called fanboyism. Firefox is my main browser, because I like some of the plugins like adblock and web developer, but I have no qualms with opening Safari when I need to use something fast and light-weight.

I don't know any browser right now that I could consider flawless, so the progress that the google team has been making is very important to me.

KrayZ33
Sat, 09-06-2008, 04:43 PM
I don't know any browser right now that I could consider flawless, so the progress that the google team has been making is very important to me.

well why?

chrome isn't flawless either, the only good thing is that they at least "tried" to use all the good things from other browsers

1 tab = 1 process from IE8
speed + webkit of Safari

etc. I just hope that FF and others got somehow encouraged to do it better. (but without rushing things like google did)

Assertn
Sat, 09-06-2008, 04:45 PM
well why?

chrome isn't flawless either, the only good thing is that they at least "tried" to use all the good things from other browsers

1 tab = 1 process from IE8
speed + webkit of Safari

etc. I just hope that FF and others got somehow encouraged to do it better. (but without rushing things like google did)
Thats why I said I don't know any browser right now that I could consider flawless.
On the plus side for google, security holes should be easier to patch than memory leak holes.

Animeniax
Sat, 09-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Well since they're all free, there's not much room to complain I guess.

I left FF 3.01 running for 9 hours with 9 tabs open, never went beyond 130MB. Maybe it's a plugin or the type of sites you're visiting? I had 3 news sites, 2 forums, 2 mail sites, and 2 shopping sites open.

BurnHavoc
Sun, 09-07-2008, 11:33 AM
This is the VERY FIRST beta release of chrome and people are comparing it to browsers that have been on the market for over a decade. They must have done something right if they got that good of penetration with a first beta release.

Yeah there are lots of problems, but thats the entire point of both open source and beta testing.

KrayZ33
Sun, 09-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Yeah there are lots of problems, but thats the entire point of both open source and beta testing.

yap "beta testing"... that would be fine if it's a closed beta

but it's stupid to make it avaible for the public and say "ok... now let the masses do all the mistakes and suffer the consequences"
it's irresponsible to release a totally unfinished browser which might fuck up parts of your system or crash it due to security holes or bad programming

a browser is not a computer game... *img* the internet, is serious business" */img*

Ryllharu
Sun, 09-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Let us not forget the other popular app of google's that remains in beta after four YEARS:
GMail.

When Google says "beta," they don't really mean it. I don't really know what their angle is about leaving things in beta forever, but it might have something to do with undermining user's grounds for complaining. That is the most common rebuttal by proponents of any software when it's a little buggy or otherwise flakey.

Mail outages, Mail not working right, messages lost?
"It's beta. What did you expect?"

BurnHavoc
Sun, 09-07-2008, 06:00 PM
well it's reasonable for a short while at least, it hasn't been out for 4 years. The main reason for the open beta was to work ground up building was the public wants, so instead of throwing a shit ton of features and releasing it for testing they release a relatively featureless version and work from ground up in open testing. The security crap is expected, it's a brand new browser. I'm betting they don't have a big enough budget for hardcore internal testing/testers, so using the public works for both getting the word out and clogging holes. You know it's early beta for the first while, if you don't like that concept come back in a few months and see if progress has been made. it's like people complaining when testing an MMO in beta and saying it's shite. I thought that of DAoC at first glance, but after release I ended up playing it for 3 years.

KrayZ33
Mon, 09-08-2008, 06:32 AM
. The security crap is expected, it's a brand new browser.

oh come on

I'm betting they don't have a big enough budget for hardcore internal testing/testers, so using the public works for both getting the word out and clogging holes.

you know, we are talking about google here..
GOOGLE!!!!!!!
ever heard of the 1,7Billion$ purchase of youtube for example?
they have probably hundreds of billion of dollars... in cash on hand because of their shares etc.

even FF get their money from google.

and as I said it's irresponsible to use the masses for finding security holes... it's no fun if you end up loosing all your data (for work for example) and have to install the whole system again.

You know it's early beta for the first while, if you don't like that concept come back in a few months and see if progress has been made. it's like people complaining when testing an MMO in beta and saying it's shite. I thought that of DAoC at first glance, but after release I ended up playing it for 3 years.

even DAoC had a closed beta, the open beta is only for testing server preformance and finding the smallest issues which are left after a long-long closed beta time.

Assertn
Mon, 09-08-2008, 09:53 AM
They're not making any profit on their browser though.......

KrayZ33
Mon, 09-08-2008, 11:31 AM
they are

not in the beta maybe but when it goes final you'll probably get a lot of "google ads" specialized on your Chrome ID and so on.

I don't know for sure though

Assertn
Mon, 09-08-2008, 12:37 PM
they are

not in the beta maybe but when it goes final you'll probably get a lot of "google ads" specialized on your Chrome ID and so on.

I don't know for sure though
Nah....the only form of advertising will be via shortcuts in the browser to their RIAs, and their search engine will be thoroughly integrated as well. Basically increasing traffic to their stuff which, subsequently, will host ads. That's fine with me though, I use their apps anyway.

I like your "the man's always got me down" mentality though.

BurnHavoc
Sun, 09-14-2008, 12:25 AM
you know, we are talking about google here..
GOOGLE!!!!!!!
ever heard of the 1,7Billion$ purchase of youtube for example?
they have probably hundreds of billion of dollars... in cash on hand because of their shares etc.

even FF get their money from google.

Google has ALOT of projects and upkeep. they don't throw their entire worth into one project at a time. I used to work for RIM, budgeting was tight shit there, and trust me they had boatloads of money to spend on some really stupid crap (company concerts for instance) but they keep it tight when it came to actual projects.

Throwing shitloads of money at something dosn't mean it'll work. Look at microsoft for a prime example of that.

KrayZ33
Sun, 09-14-2008, 05:26 AM
I don't think its a "money problem" to hire 2-3 "hackers" who test it a bit for a month....

docdan63
Sun, 09-14-2008, 03:28 PM
I don't think its a "money problem" to hire 2-3 "hackers" who test it a bit for a month....Why only for a month? Hire them for a long time. Any dot-com should have white, black and gray. And keep them for a long time. They're vital.

Animeniax
Sun, 09-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Because they get complacent and spend all their time playing WoW. Plus your typical hacker will get bored and want to move on to new challenges and higher pay.

David75
Wed, 09-17-2008, 06:59 AM
After using Google chrome everyday since its release:
I do not use FF or Maxthon anymore... in fact only for very specific use where I can't trust Chrome yet.

Why?
It's fast, really, and since I have a pool of site I browse quite a lot, only speed matters.
There's not much advertising on those sites too, so that's ok.

Because the major problem is ads with google chrome, you get to see how crippled the internets have become.... quite horrible.

I did not experience any particular trouble I can remember.

So I sum things up by saying:
It's a spartan beta, you can't fine tune it to your specific ways of browsing, but being fast, it clearly outclasses the others.