PDA

View Full Version : IE7: "Verifying" window after download

Munsu
Fri, 08-29-2008, 06:02 AM
Do any of you guys know what setting I need to disable or enable in IE7 so that the "Verifying" window doesn't show up after I've downloaded a file?

At first I thought it was the "Check for signatures on downloaded programs" setting, but apparently it isn't.

This is mainly a pain in the ass when I'm clicking various links to small files, like torrent links for example, because the verifying window ends up crashing the browser.

I'm also using Vista, if that's of any relevance.

Please keep posts on topic, thanks.

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/4420/downloadingjg9.png
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/4799/verifyingre8.png

darkshadow
Fri, 08-29-2008, 04:45 PM
im not sure, nor have i researched it, but i think its impossible to disable, maybe via some obscure reg values.

Munsu
Fri, 08-29-2008, 05:23 PM
im not sure, nor have i researched it, but i think its impossible to disable, maybe via some obscure reg values.
Well, the first time i started playing around with it, about a week ago I disabled the setting I mentioned above, and that seemed to do the trick. But since yesterday or so, the problem has started showing up once again and I have no clue why. I haven't downloaded or installed anything.

Ryllharu
Fri, 08-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Definitely seems to be a Vista-exclusive issue. I'm still using XP and I've never seen that before.

After poking around for a while, I can't find any way to fix it, but the consensus seems to be to use a different browser.

NM
Fri, 08-29-2008, 08:36 PM
After poking around for a while, I can't find any way to fix it, but the consensus seems to be to use a different browser.

That was going to be my suggestion as well. Firefox is the way to go imo. Have you ever tried it Munsu? It has most of the features like IE7 (I believe IE7 is a copy of Firefox to begin with though...) like tabbed browsing and such. I know you won't have that "verifying" error at least.

Munsu
Sat, 08-30-2008, 03:38 AM
That was going to be my suggestion as well. Firefox is the way to go imo. Have you ever tried it Munsu? It has most of the features like IE7 (I believe IE7 is a copy of Firefox to begin with though...) like tabbed browsing and such. I know you won't have that "verifying" error at least.
There's a reason I said in my main post to stay on topic. I don't want any of that crap debate on which browser is better or not.

Playing with it around some more, I found out that it really doesn't occur after a download. It happens when you download the file, and then click on "Open" on the download window. When I click on torrent links, the files open automatically so that's why the "Verify" message showed up everytime a torrent was downloaded.

David75
Sat, 08-30-2008, 05:14 AM
Had to boot Vista64 to check..

Seems like there are some possible options to disable:
In internet explorer, under tools/internet options/security
there's an option for a protected mode , you'll have to restart explorer.

there's another one in the advanced tab for the anti-phishing filter almost at the end of the list.

I guess you've been there, done that before, but just in case...

Maybe you'll find a solution so that it doesn't crash, but in any case you also need to know why it crashes on you like that.
there are all the tools used for cleaning your comp from malware and so on.
maybe your IE cache/temp is full. I remember that IE6 was unable to save jpegs if the cache was full and saved them to BMP...

keep us informed, thanks

Munsu
Sat, 08-30-2008, 06:43 AM
Had to boot Vista64 to check..

Seems like there are some possible options to disable:
In internet explorer, under tools/internet options/security
there's an option for a protected mode , you'll have to restart explorer.

there's another one in the advanced tab for the anti-phishing filter almost at the end of the list.

I guess you've been there, done that before, but just in case...

Maybe you'll find a solution so that it doesn't crash, but in any case you also need to know why it crashes on you like that.
there are all the tools used for cleaning your comp from malware and so on.
maybe your IE cache/temp is full. I remember that IE6 was unable to save jpegs if the cache was full and saved them to BMP...

keep us informed, thanks
My Protected Mode is off...
Phishing Filter is disabled in the Advanced Settings and in the Security Settings...

I really don't see a solution for it not crashing, since I think that the problem is that the "Verify" feature wasn't made for people who do rapid clicking and downloading/opening files. It's like the browser gets overworked. It's not simply verifying a download that crashes the browser, but verifying multiple files at the same time.

Searching for solutions is a pain in the ass because all the search engine results seem unrelated to what I'm looking for. There's hardly any topic on this around the net.

But more and more it's looking like a Vista-IE7 combination causing the problem.

David75
Sat, 08-30-2008, 08:16 AM
My Protected Mode is off...
Phishing Filter is disabled in the Advanced Settings and in the Security Settings...

I really don't see a solution for it not crashing, since I think that the problem is that the "Verify" feature wasn't made for people who do rapid clicking and downloading/opening files. It's like the browser gets overworked. It's not simply verifying a download that crashes the browser, but verifying multiple files at the same time.

Searching for solutions is a pain in the ass because all the search engine results seem unrelated to what I'm looking for. There's hardly any topic on this around the net.

But more and more it's looking like a Vista-IE7 combination causing the problem.

you mean that it happens when you fetch several torrents at a time then? it's not everytime?
I'm gona try to fetch several torrents, the association is with utorrent and automatic in my case. But I'm not in silent mode for utorrent as I like to organise my dls a bit.
Vista64 french is maybe not prone to the problem... or if you get no results from your queries, you're maybe lucky enough to be alone with your problem.

next I'd search for a corruption coming from the install or some third party software.
but repairing IE seems like a time consuming process.

IE8 is coming, beta only, let's hope it'll solve your problem if you choose to switch to it.

Munsu
Sat, 08-30-2008, 08:20 AM
you mean that it happens when you fetch several torrents at a time then? it's not everytime?
I'm gona try to fetch several torrents, the association is with utorrent and automatic in my case. But I'm not in silent mode for utorrent as I like to organise my dls a bit.
Vista64 french is maybe not prone to the problem... or if you get no results from your queries, you're maybe lucky enough to be alone with your problem.

next I'd search for a corruption coming from the install or some third party software.
but repairing IE seems like a time consuming process.

IE8 is coming, beta only, let's hope it'll solve your problem if you choose to switch to it.
Yep, that's the gist of it. Let's say I have my setting so that when I click a torrent link it automatically downloads the file and opens it to send it over to utorrent. When I click multiple torrent links and it goes through the verifying process it crashes, but it doesn't occur if I download them one by one so that no two files are being verified at the same time.

David75
Sat, 08-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Tried to reproduce the bug:
shinsen-subs list of torrents at animesuki.
I configured utorrent in silent mode
then proceeded to dl several torrents at a time as a mad clicker.
I see the verification happening, but no crash in my case.

I guess I can't go any further then. Just that our systems are different and we can't extract much data from that.

Munsu
Sat, 08-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Tried to reproduce the bug:
shinsen-subs list of torrents at animesuki.
I configured utorrent in silent mode
then proceeded to dl several torrents at a time as a mad clicker.
I see the verification happening, but no crash in my case.

I guess I can't go any further then. Just that our systems are different and we can't extract much data from that.
Hmm, interesting... I wonder what is causing the crash then. When you say silent mode, what you mean by it?

David75
Sat, 08-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Hmm, interesting... I wonder what is causing the crash then. When you say silent mode, what you mean by it?
Silent Mode:
you set up utorrent so that it doesn't ask you where to save the files etc.
It's uesfull when you want to dl from lots of torrents and have to click a lot.
But all files will be saved at the same location.

In my case it wasn't totally silent mode, since utorrent asked for the place to save the files, but at least that window isn't becoming the most important and preventing you to click quicly for many torrents.

That test showed no crash on my comp, and I had lots of concurrent torrent dl's and verifications at the same time.
So trying to reinstall IE7, maybe a wrong registry edit, some malware or IE7 corruption on your part?
Or a bug that does'nt appear with Vista64 ultimate french.
For now it's hard to tell

Munsu
Sat, 08-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Silent Mode:
you set up utorrent so that it doesn't ask you where to save the files etc.
It's uesfull when you want to dl from lots of torrents and have to click a lot.
But all files will be saved at the same location.

In my case it wasn't totally silent mode, since utorrent asked for the place to save the files, but at least that window isn't becoming the most important and preventing you to click quicly for many torrents.

That test showed no crash on my comp, and I had lots of concurrent torrent dl's and verifications at the same time.
So trying to reinstall IE7, maybe a wrong registry edit, some malware or IE7 corruption on your part?
Or a bug that does'nt appear with Vista64 ultimate french.
For now it's hard to tell
Yeah hard to say... to many unknowns. Best bet is to find how I can disable this verifying crap. It's surely not a malware, spyware, virus, or anything of that sort. That I'm sure of.

David75
Sat, 08-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Yeah hard to say... to many unknowns. Best bet is to find how I can disable this verifying crap. It's surely not a malware, spyware, virus, or anything of that sort. That I'm sure of.

I guess that looking at the stack (details) of the crash doesn't help at all either.
sometimes you get paths, program names, dll names in the stack and it gives you leads as to where to search or google.