PDA

View Full Version : My DVD burner suddenly can't read blank media

The Heretic Azazel
Wed, 08-27-2008, 11:44 PM
It's just so random. I didn't install anything or make any changes before it happened. As usual the device manager said the drive was working properly. I disabled and enabled the drive, uninstalled it and rebooted, it still doesn't recognize blank dvds or cds. When I insert media with any content already on it (the exact same media as the blanks) it runs just fine, but when I put the blank in the drive name changes to CD drive and when i open it, it says "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function." I tried updating and rolling back the drivers to no avail.

Every kind of disc up to this point has been read to and written to flawlessly. A lot of you guys are much smarter than me, so what do you think?

darkshadow
Thu, 08-28-2008, 03:12 AM
Could be some protection messing up your drive.
Have you ever installed a game that used the starforce protection ( this can even be years back)? like splinter cell ct or king kong?
Cause i know starforce can destroy your optical drive( even years later ).

Other then that i wouldn't know.

Kraco
Thu, 08-28-2008, 03:41 AM
What program do you use for burning? What does it say? Have you checked whether Nero Infotool (or some other equivalent program, whatever you use) still presents the drive specs correctly?

Is the drive already 5 years old?

The Heretic Azazel
Thu, 08-28-2008, 05:00 PM
I downloaded Nero, it seems to recognize the blanks just fine. Well I guess it's not a big problem anymore..........so let's all listen to some black metal then.

David75
Fri, 08-29-2008, 01:36 PM
In case it happens again, a little bit of alcoohol and very loose coton to wipe the lense could do the trick.
Used that twice in 5 years on my work laptop that goes in losts of dusty places (construction sites) and it worked fine again after the little cleaning. But laptop burners have a easily reachable lens, so it's easier.