PDA

View Full Version : Buying the DVDs of newer titles; a waste?

Harima Kenji
Tue, 08-26-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm just wondering.. since most (if not all) of the recent anime titles are broadcast in HD, wouldn't it be a waste to buy the DVDs when they come out? What are the chances of Blu-ray re-releases? I don't know how they do it in japan, but series like Gundam 00 etc are made for HD. To reduce the quality to DVD standard seems such a waste of money to me. Eventually they will switch to Blu-ray, when it's more affordable to buy the players, but what can we do in the meantime? Wait for a possible re-release, or is that wishful thinking?

I know that I can download and store them for free, but when I like a series, I want to get the official (R1) releases. If you don't, fine by me, that's your choice.

Pyro411
Wed, 08-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Honestly I'm up in the air on this one myself... if the 360 had a bigger hard drive & supplied anime with subs the instant it was aired I literally would be humping the air & buying every episode I loved as long as it was in dual audio mode :)

Then again, it'd probably be nicer if they subbed the R2 DVDs & put them on Live as they were released with the option to upgrade from Broadcast Releases to DVD/BR-DVD Releases ehh /sigh a pipe dream there.

David75
Wed, 08-27-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm just wondering.. since most (if not all) of the recent anime titles are broadcast in HD, wouldn't it be a waste to buy the DVDs when they come out? What are the chances of Blu-ray re-releases? I don't know how they do it in japan, but series like Gundam 00 etc are made for HD. To reduce the quality to DVD standard seems such a waste of money to me. Eventually they will switch to Blu-ray, when it's more affordable to buy the players, but what can we do in the meantime? Wait for a possible re-release, or is that wishful thinking?

I know that I can download and store them for free, but when I like a series, I want to get the official (R1) releases. If you don't, fine by me, that's your choice.

Thing is Blu-Ray players must have a better market share in Japan. The rest of the world, they could care less...
There are numerous rants about how the Japanese anime industry doesn't care about foreign markets at all.

In some recent subs, you'll even see advertising for BR and DVD releases for the same eps. Meaning that in japan, everything is already double released. At least that seems to be the case for CodeGeass and Macross Frontier.