PDA

View Full Version : 8600GT freeze+reboot on video playback only

David75
Fri, 08-22-2008, 04:09 PM
First time I have such a problem. I'm pretty sure the thing is rotten... but maybe there's a way of solving the problem before I trash it...

So this is a 8600GT from gigabyte. Changed the cooler, the problem was there before and still is. I guess I should have changed the card before mod... anyways.

The problem:
While watching a vid, suddenly the mouse pointer "explodes" while the image freezes but the sound continues.
By exploding, I mean that it becomes a grape of pixels and a remanent form of pointer. The blob still moves till there's a major problem and the comp totally freezes. Then I need to reboot manually.

It does that with many video types, many players, and under XP32 and Vista64 (place on 2 different drives) and many video files.

I was wondering if some custom firmwares were out. I'll check wether the card is firmly put inside its slot... but since 3D benchmark work fine four hours and the bug comes in about 5 minutes to sometimes 2 hours while watching videos (times are quite spread, but at times it's several times in a row 5 minutes only)

stats:
P7N platinum board
4Gb of ram from kingston
1Tb Samsung F1 for XP
40Gb noname disk for Vista 64 (actually just for testing purposes)
3 other disks for storage, tests
Gigabyte 8600GT now fanless (and lost many degrees of temp)

Any input?
Thanks a lot.

Shadow Skill
Fri, 08-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Have you tried updating the drivers from the Nvidia website or rolling back the drivers, perhaps a full uninstall, then re-install of the drivers?

David75
Sat, 08-23-2008, 01:21 AM
Have you tried updating the drivers from the Nvidia website or rolling back the drivers, perhaps a full uninstall, then re-install of the drivers?
to no avail.
Plus the problem is still there with a old XP 32 install and a fress Vista64 one ;)

I'm still searching. I may find, I hope. if not, new card ;)

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-23-2008, 03:15 AM
Have you ever tried removing the card and playing it on another computer to conclude that it is really the card?

David75
Sat, 08-23-2008, 03:38 AM
Have you ever tried removing the card and playing it on another computer to conclude that it is really the card?

Among the PCs I own, that one is the newest one and the others won't accept such a new card ;)

I did a firmware update for the P7N, I read somewhere that nforce7 chipsets might have that kind of problem. Very funny to have problems with a nvidia chipset and a nivdia GPU... but whatever.

I'll update if the problem isn't solved after that.

Thanks a lot.