PDA

View Full Version : Which real estate IPO was better? DLF (India) or Country Garden (China)?

docdan63
Fri, 08-22-2008, 02:46 AM
I'm a real estate investor and businessman. So I'm interested in this. There were huge market growths in both India and China. Giant values created in mere months. There were also several billionaires created and gained more because of the super hot IPO market.

I personally think DLF did better. But, thats just me.

DLF IPO:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/54ce10e0-194a-11dc-a961-000b5df10621.html

Country Garden IPO:
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/country-garden-soars-37-hong/story.aspx?guid=%7B7F1037D8-CA68-4CEE-B13A-CA9FB8C935FF%7D

Animeniax
Fri, 08-22-2008, 03:05 AM
Michael Phelps rules!! I bet if you asked him which IPO did better, he'd kick your ass.

Kraco
Fri, 08-22-2008, 03:10 AM
This thread looks like a 100% authentic (and random) spambot thread, but the author has 237 posts. I don't think any spambot could have that much (unless a spambot hijacked an account).

What a dilemma.

Animeniax
Fri, 08-22-2008, 03:21 AM
So is this thread a solicitation for investments? Cause I got money to burn and have been looking for a way to gain 400% returns with 0% risk in 1 week or less.

docdan63
Fri, 08-22-2008, 03:40 AM
This thread looks like a 100% authentic (and random) spambot thread, but the author has 237 posts. I don't think any spambot could have that much (unless a spambot hijacked an account).

What a dilemma.

Um. I really posted the information in the thread and post itself. It's not a spam bot or anything like that. If you're questioning the validity of it, then go ahead I don't care. It's real. I posted in the right place because there was no business thread. I assumed this was best posted in the gen. discussion area.

Assassin
Sat, 08-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Kraco was kidding

Assertn
Sun, 08-24-2008, 01:44 AM
Um. I really posted the information in the thread and post itself. It's not a spam bot or anything like that. If you're questioning the validity of it, then go ahead I don't care. It's real. I posted in the right place because there was no business thread. I assumed this was best posted in the gen. discussion area.
Your thread is funny because this is an anime forum.
Not only do people prefer to talk about anime than business, they also live in their parents' basements.

It's usually a good idea to keep subjects "on the level" with the prevailing demographic. Otherwise you might just come off as being arrogant.

So....how about those stocks, eh?

rockmanj
Mon, 08-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Hmm...I'm actually thinking about staring to invest in real estate, since I've come into a bit of money lately. I'll probably go to a professional, but what are some tips and general things that I should know?

David75
Mon, 08-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Hmm...I'm actually thinking about staring to invest in real estate, since I've come into a bit of money lately. I'll probably go to a professional, but what are some tips and general things that I should know?

Invest and Real estate are not compatible these days.
I don't know what to think of the black hole real estate is becoming, something swallowing huge sums of money created last ten years...

If by investment you mean your house, the place you plan to live for say the next ten years, the story is a tad different. However, being young means you need mobility. Blocking money in such a non volatile investment isn't necessarily a good option then.
The bet lies more in the lowest price you think you can obtain, compared to the market price at the end of the buble burst.
Last thing is the place, the place and the place... a house/flat needs to have everything you want to have plus the place where it is must be one of the best.

That's a very brief idea of my views regarding real estate.

Assertn
Mon, 08-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I don't know what the market is like in south korea, but now's a great time to buy property in the US.

Just because you own property doesn't mean you have to live in it. I'm tempted to pick up some just to rent out, myself. You can hire a general manager to take care of the tenants and utilites/repairs so you don't even have to physically be there.

Uchiha Barles
Mon, 08-25-2008, 04:01 PM
I don't see that Country Garden (CG) is actually making an IPO. But either way, to figure out which company is the better investment, you'd probably want to look a bit at more of the specifics. For example, what kind of developments does DFL specialize in, where are it's land reserves located, and compare both to the the direction and extent of population migration and population growth rates (to try and glimpse a bit into the company's future profitability) as well as the those very same stats along with economic conditions surrounding their current developed holdings (to glimpse into the the company's current profitability and that of the near future). You'd want to do the same for CG. I'm ill prepared to do that though because I'm still a bit of a novice market analysis, and I know nothing about the economic conditions or the real estate market abroad. However, these articles aren't enough to figure out which is the better investment.

edit: (totally gave an answer to a question that wasn't asked) As far as which one did better, I guess getting investors to offer to buy more than the 2.9 billion dollars worth of stock you've offered to sell is doing better than getting 1.66 billion.