PDA

View Full Version : Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Munsu
Fri, 08-22-2008, 02:09 AM
New Fullmetal Alchemist TV Anime Series Confirmed

The wraparound jacket band on the 20th volume of Hiromu Arakawa's Fullmetal Alchemist manga will confirm on Friday that a new television anime series is in the works. A new anime series was a topic of much fan discussion for several months, but it was thrust into a more public spotlight last month when a management document was purportedly leaked from the BONES anime studio. The document listed Fullmetal Alchemist animator Yasuhiro Irie as "Hagane 2 kantoku" (Iron/Fullmetal 2 director).

After the purported leak, BONES President Masahiko Minami posted an official statement that said that no file with this same formatted information existed within the company. When asked about the possibility of a sequel to Fullmetal Alchemist or Darker than BLACK (another BONES anime), Minami told ANN, "It hasn't been decided yet. We are interested in doing them. As original science-fiction works, they were extremely fascinating. With these kinds of dramatic story lines, I feel that there's a lot we could do potentially."

Viz Media will publish the 17th volume of the manga version in North America this October, while FUNimation Entertainment released both the first television series and its theatrical movie finale.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-08-20/new-fullmetal-alchemist-tv-anime-series-confirmed

This should be good news for the Darker than Black people, as we were speculating a couple of months ago about a possible sequel being made in a leaked documents that also included FMA2.

KoKo37
Fri, 08-22-2008, 02:50 AM
I wonder if they are going to be doing a sequel from where the movie left off, or a re-telling with a more accurate adaption from the manga. I thought the anime ended fairly well and felt finished myself, but if it is a sequel and they manage to keep the standards of quality as the first season then I certainly won't be complaining.

And awesome news about Darker than Black, that was one of my favorite series of 2007.

Carnage
Fri, 08-22-2008, 08:45 AM
From what I hear it's a re-telling.

NM
Fri, 08-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Freaking awesome news! Didn't mind the anime's ending too much but if its a re-telling then they'll be going along with the manga this time. Seriously can't wait for this one! Thanks for the heads up Munsu!

masamuneehs
Sat, 08-23-2008, 12:44 PM
i look upon this news with great skepticism (that means doubt, you dumb bastards)

FMA manga isn't even past 4/5 finished yet, to make another anime out of it now is just to rape the cash cow a bit further. Sure, they'll use some manga storlyine, but just to sucker in dumb fans, and then it'll go back to stupid town.

I couldn't get past the second episode of Darker than Black, so, personally, I don't care at all about it.

Carnage
Sat, 08-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Well do we know when it airs? By then, the series might be 4/5 finished.

Assassin
Sat, 08-23-2008, 01:57 PM
hmm, interesting news...the first one didn't follow the manga storyline rite...or atleast it differed from it in certain ways. i wonder if this one will also be semi-original.

Junior
Sat, 08-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Hurray! FMA!

I hope it's not based on the manga. I hope it's completely different. Like the anime was.

It seems strange when people just turn a manga into an anime. It's the same story...just animated. o_O Reading isn't THAT bad. But sometimes it's nice to see things animated.

masamuneehs
Tue, 08-26-2008, 10:54 AM
if sources (the studio) are to be trusted, it will be based on the manga

"To be officially announced on the cover of the 20th volume released tomorrow, If the information leaked from BONES is correct, it will be directed by irie yasuhiro; if the prior information is correct, it will be an anime adaptation true to the original, running for 1 year starting april of next year at 5 pm on mbs/tbs."

Harima Kenji
Tue, 08-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Both good news and bad news.. The story of the anime version isn't complete yet, and I love to see it completed. Doing a retelling would make it confusing if a new movie comes out.
If they give the new series a good subtitle, that could be solved..
I'm curious about the other storyline, since they deviated at about episode 20, I believe..

Good: More FMA
Bad: storyline of the first series might never be completed, and that is a waste.

Edit: and naturally, the same seiyuu are required.

lelouch
Tue, 08-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Good: More FMA
Bad: storyline of the first series might never be completed, and that is a waste.

Edit: and naturally, the same seiyuu are required.

I thought the storyline was completed by the shambala movie?

Personally, I'm against this re-telling. FMA is my favorite series by far with the storyline that they made for the anime. Now, I can't say that the manga one isn't better as I've never read the manga. However, making a re-telling will make things sort of confusing and ruin the original anime as there will be two different storylines. Other people might disagree, but personally I'd rather not have a retelling.

I'd enjoy it better if they made a completely new anime very SIMILAR to the manga and do that instead of a retelling. Maybe change around the character names and designs, and maybe a little bit of the story and places.

Carnage
Tue, 08-26-2008, 04:38 PM
So you would like a retelling of the Anime, with minor differences? Even though the manga storyline is better.....

lelouch
Tue, 08-26-2008, 05:21 PM
No, I said that if they are going to do a retelling of an anime following the manga storyline when the storylines diverged less than half way through the series, I'd prefer it better that they just make a new anime altogether slightly based off the manga.

Of course many may disagree, it is just that FMA is my favorite anime just the way it was, so I won't like to see any parts of it changed.

For many other viewers it may be similar to retelling naruto from the middle of the chuunin exam, and have naruto/sasuke defeat orochimaru right there and then in the forest, and then change the storyline to something else.

Again, many may disagree, it is just my opinion.

Carnage
Tue, 08-26-2008, 05:42 PM
No, I said that if they are going to do a retelling of an anime following the manga storyline when the storylines diverged less than half way through the series, I'd prefer it better that they just make a new anime altogether slightly based off the manga.

Of course many may disagree, it is just that FMA is my favorite anime just the way it was, so I won't like to see any parts of it changed.

For many other viewers it may be similar to retelling naruto from the middle of the chuunin exam, and have naruto/sasuke defeat orochimaru right there and then in the forest, and then change the storyline to something else.

Again, many may disagree, it is just my opinion.

Oh I see what you mean. No I think that's what they intend, it wouldn't make sense to start from some point in the previous anime since even the beginning of the FMA wasn't completely true to the manga.

lelouch
Tue, 08-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Hopefully they change the names and designs a bit, otherwise it would be like naruto V2, same characters just diff storyline =/

Board of Command
Tue, 08-26-2008, 07:04 PM
i look upon this news with great skepticism (that means doubt, you dumb bastards)
Hmm...I'm a bit skeptical about this one...

Anyway, if I had to pick between FMA sequal or Darker Than Black sequel, I'd rather take Darker Than Black. If they make both, then that's super. I felt that FMA ended fairly well, and a mere retelling of the story doesn't entice me very much. Darker Than Black, on the other hand, would be pure win since the first season and an open ending.

masamuneehs
Wed, 08-27-2008, 08:38 AM
i loved the anime. didn't read the manga for a very long time. then i did, started at the beginning, and I power housed it. It's freaking awesome. I can only think of two aspects of the anime that I like better than the manga, and one of those was just 'dramatic delivery' that you simply can't get in still pictures.

lelouch: your Naruto analogy would be okay, except that that's what they did for the original FMA anime, so you have it reversed. they followed the manga up to a point, were forced to make their own ending/storyline (Full Metal Alchemist Version 2), and are now animating the original story.

Think of it this way: the characters, story, setting and everything else are made by the mangaka. But the industry is greedy, and wants to capitalize on popular manga NOW, even if they're not finished (see: Claymore, Naruto, Berserk, and others), so they say: "man, people like those characters, that setting, and the story you have so far. We're going to animate them!"

and the writer does something like: "um... okay... but the story isn't done yet..."

Industry: "that's fine! we'll animate what you have, cut off the plot line where we need to, and then use the same characters, setting and plot basis to make another version of it all!" (in your words: same character, different story)

Also, people are getting confused by this thread title. If these rumors hold true, then they are NOT making a sequel to the FMA anime. They're re-making the entire series. Sizeable difference. That means you can only get confused if you think of this upcoming series as a 'sequel', which, if they have the brains to re-do the whole thing from the start again, you'd have to be lead thick to do.

lelouch
Wed, 08-27-2008, 05:34 PM
@masa:

If they remake the whole series, wouldn't they have to start from ep 20? Since the first 20 eps have already been created..

Carnage
Wed, 08-27-2008, 06:11 PM
No. The first 20 episodes themselves aren't truly solid interpretations of the manga. They would start from square one and probably stick to the actual manga.

Death13a
Wed, 08-27-2008, 06:25 PM
I would prefer FMA OVA that way they can pause if needed and production value should be higher (something of Hellsing ova value).

Carnage
Wed, 08-27-2008, 06:36 PM
I had been hoping for FMA OVAs for some time now. But this is better than nothing. Now if they made Ultimate Berserk OVAs, I would pay through the nose to see them.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 08-28-2008, 05:26 AM
I've always wondered what the FMA hype is about, and if this is true, I guess I'll find out by watching a better version, hopefully.

And, of course, Darker than Black 2 would be a must watch for me.

NM
Thu, 08-28-2008, 09:06 AM
The manga I would say is definitely better than the anime version. The releases have been quite slow though (I get mine from TMI-Scans whose latest chapter was chapter 80...if theres anyone better, please PM me because I really want to catch up and I hate forgetting whats going on in the story). However, the story from the anime and the movie I thought was still great.

If you ever get a chance Buff, I'd still give the first anime a go if you ever get bored or if there's no new anime to watch. Its director is the one who is currently working on Gundam 00 and he gave the FMA anime a fine ending.

xtallography
Thu, 08-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Onemanga.com (http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/) is up to chapter 86.

Of course they may be evil for some reason and I don't know about it yet. :D

Munsu
Sun, 12-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Apparently it has been confirmed to come out on April 2009:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-12-07/new-fullmetal-alchemist-tv-anime-to-premiere-in-april

New website:
http://www.hagaren.jp/

New information coming on the 12th.

Teaser RAW:
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=42304

Everon
Sun, 12-07-2008, 02:42 PM
I liked FMA. A lot.

I don't know how I feel about seeing a retelling. Unlike some mangas adaptations like Mahou Sensei Negima, they took the given material and made a great story. Besides, where would they start their tale? At the very beginning? Or in the middle where the story branched off?

digitalrurouni
Sun, 12-07-2008, 06:28 PM
I liked FMA. A lot.

I don't know how I feel about seeing a retelling. Unlike some mangas adaptations like Mahou Sensei Negima, they took the given material and made a great story. Besides, where would they start their tale? At the very beginning? Or in the middle where the story branched off?

Having never read the manga, I guess the first release of FMA was not canon then? And now they are trying to redo it?

I hope DTB gets a second season as well. I tried reading the manga a bit but it was a lot less serious than the anime was and i gave up.

Munsu
Sun, 12-07-2008, 06:36 PM
I liked FMA. A lot.

I don't know... I don't think it'll be a retelling. With the first one being so successful, I don't see why they would. It would make more sense for it to be sequel. Though a very loyal adaptation of the manga I wouldn't be that opposed to.

masamuneehs
Sun, 12-07-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm crossing my fingers for a faithful re-telling of the manga.

Then again, we'll learn more on the 12th of this month (as the mostly empty site (http://www.hagaren.jp/) promises, and there's also supposed to be a divulging of info some time after that...

Everon
Sun, 12-07-2008, 08:50 PM
I don't know... I don't think it'll be a retelling. With the first one being so successful, I don't see why they would. It would make more sense for it to be sequel. Though a very loyal adaptation of the manga I wouldn't be that opposed to.

Now that would be a kick. Take the already alternate story and run with it. It would be exciting to see what kind of new conflict they could come up with. Especially one that could compare to the Philosopher's stone.

digitalrurouni
Sun, 12-07-2008, 09:46 PM
So between the first anime and the manga, where exactly did they go their separate ways? Curious minds want to know! :)

masamuneehs
Sun, 12-07-2008, 10:43 PM
So between the first anime and the manga, where exactly did they go their separate ways? Curious minds want to know! :)

dubious grounds for potential spoilers, but...

about episode 28 (where Izumi puts Ed and Al on the training island again and they encounter Wrath) is where the anime deviates from the manga. From that point there are maybe two or three things from the manga that are implemented in the anime, but, for the most part, it's all completely different

Everon
Sat, 12-20-2008, 01:53 AM
I was curious why no this thread hasn't had any new info. I did a double check of the website using some babelfish -- seems like they were releasing a poster on the 12th. Unless I'm wrong, there won't be any new info this month. :|

Lucifus
Sat, 02-07-2009, 02:02 PM
The March issue of Kadokawa Shoten’s Newtype magazine will announce on February 10 that Romi Paku and Rie Kugimiya will reprise their roles of the Elric brothers Edward and Alphonse in the new television
version of Hiromu Arakawa’s Fullmetal Alchemist “dark fantasy” manga. Newtype magazine had indicated that the creators were still casting the voices as recently as last month. The new series will premiere in Japan on April 5.
The main staff has already been announced in Newtype last month. The new project’s director, Yasuhiro Irie, had previously overseen Kurau: Phantom Memory, opening animation footage for the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime and Soul Eater, and episodes of Alien Nine and RahXephon. Hiroshi Ohnogi (Kekkaishi, Noein, Macross Zero) is supervising the scripts, while Hiroki Kanno (RahXephon, Yu Yu Hakusho The Movie: Poltergeist Report) is designing the characters. Akira Senju (Mobile Suit Victory Gundam, Red Garden, Rampo) is composing the music. Besides Oyama, MBS’ Hiro Maruyama, Square Enix’s Nobuyuki Kurashige, and BONES’ Noritomo Yonai are producing.
Viz Media published the 17th volume of the manga version in North America last October, while FUNimation Entertainment released both the first television series and its theatrical movie finale.

Anyone else pleased to hear that?I know I am.

Edit: Thanks for the move, I tried searching for the remake thread, just couldn't seem to find er.

narutosharingan
Sat, 02-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Have they said whether this will be a sequel or, more likely, a different take on the original series?

Bread-sama
Sun, 02-08-2009, 03:34 PM
They will be following the manga afaik.

Oniken
Sun, 02-08-2009, 03:39 PM
http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/4449761/11926071

2nd Commercial

Archangel
Mon, 02-09-2009, 05:48 AM
What about voice actors? Will they remain the same?

Munsu
Mon, 02-09-2009, 10:06 AM
What about voice actors? Will they remain the same?
This post should answer your question:
http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=419059&postcount=34

Don't know about all of them though. It'll be quite hard I would assume to get them all back.

The series seems like it'll be called "Fullmetal Alchemist"... I wonder why they didn't call it something else to differenciate it from the previous series.

Koyuki
Mon, 02-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Good to see Ed and all got the same VO as the first anime. They did a really good job. If they've got all the major VO it would be really good, but I doubt it.

Hagaren is one of my favourite series. I remember when I first started downloading anime, I've only seen it on tv. I watched Naruto from Aone&ANBU. Then ANBU started subbing a new series, FMA. It was really kickass, the animation, the fighting and the story. I've been reading the manga a bit and I feel like it's Christmas in April :)

RyougaZell
Mon, 02-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Has it been confirmed if its either a remake or a continuation? I hope a remake for I never had the chance to see the original.

Archangel
Mon, 02-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Has it been confirmed if its either a remake or a continuation? I hope a remake for I never had the chance to see the original.

Cmon Zell it's already been told 1000 times that it's gonna follow the manga, so it has almost nothing to do with the original anime

Just go watch it since it's awesome, you'll probably become a lust fanboy

Buffalobiian
Mon, 02-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Cmon Zell it's already been told 1000 times that it's gonna follow the manga, so it has almost nothing to do with the original anime

It's just that it can get confusing sometimes if they say "it will be following the manga". I think Zell (and I at one point) wondered if it'll continue from where the anime diverged from the manga, making it more of a continuation than a remake (a remake continuation?).

That's happened to Tsubasa Chronicles, where the OVAs went "This takes place after episode 42. Disregard the events from 43-50END)."

Archangel
Mon, 02-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Yeah but that's unlikely with FMA since the story diverges from the manga so soon, like in the first 10 episodes i think

animus
Mon, 02-09-2009, 07:48 PM
It wasn't that early. It diverged after the Greed arc.

RyougaZell
Tue, 02-10-2009, 09:47 AM

Unlikely. I do know the characters for I followed the manga for a time, reason why I stopped the anime as soon as I saw the big differences (that and that time I didn't had more than 4gb of hdd to spend...)

Abdula
Tue, 02-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Yeah but that's unlikely with FMA since the story diverges from the manga so soon, like in the first 10 episodes i think
Its not really about when it diverged , its that the concepts introduced in the anime are completely different from those in the manga so it is pretty much impossible to follow up what the anime introduced while staying true to the manga. It would just be too confusing.

itadakimasu
Tue, 02-10-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm definately going to watch it, but I'm still not sure that I like the idea of them remaking the series.

whats next... remake naruto to keep it true to the manga? no fillers?

FMA is one of my favorite series and I think they brought closure to the series w\ the movie.

Kraco
Tue, 02-10-2009, 11:42 AM
The anime industry in general is in a terrible state (with the exception of Ghibli likely), so if they deem remaking a major title like FMA could bring a few coins to the treasury, they are going to do it.

Koyuki
Fri, 02-13-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm definately going to watch it, but I'm still not sure that I like the idea of them remaking the series.

whats next... remake naruto to keep it true to the manga? no fillers?

FMA is one of my favorite series and I think they brought closure to the series w\ the movie.

Naruto follows the manga almost to the spot if you take out the fillers. Unlike FMA which is pretty far off. Fillers isn't that bad, just don't watch it.

Even if they remake it just to make some more money I don't mind. There are a lot of animes that I want to get remade. Just for the one big reason, the story. Manga > Anime. The big problem is that they only get a certain amount of episodes before they have to finish. And then I have to read the manga to keep up. A bit of a disappointment when you've seen how good it looks animated.

Hiwatari
Wed, 02-18-2009, 05:31 AM
if it's a remake to follow the manga, unless the story is really way different, what's the point of watching when there's already a rather conclusive end to the story which is FMA the conqueror of shambala?

Kraco
Wed, 02-18-2009, 05:37 AM
I doubt they would be making this unless the story is sufficiently different. It's not like they would be remaking it for the graphics or anything like that.

What's the point of watching it? What's the point of watching any anime? It's entertainment. You watch it to pass time, be inspired, and feel emotions. Surely by now you had realised that also by yourself...

Oniken
Wed, 02-18-2009, 06:15 AM
From my understanding, the original FMA series followed the manga's story upto a certain point, which was a way into the series I gather. I think what confuses people, including myself, is that if this new FMA series is based on the manga story then wont the first part be near identical to what we've already seen? From the limited footage we've seen also, the animation style and quality doesn't seem all that different too. Either way I'm into this bigtime and can't wait!

Dark Dragon
Wed, 02-18-2009, 10:58 AM
unless the story is really way different

That is precisely the point, the manga and anime storyline are completely different.

A lot of the character that get introduced later in the FMA anime are anime only character since the anime went down a different path at the start of the greed event.

They can probably get away with just doing like 1-2 recap episodes for those events and then head straight into the manga storyline.

Carnage
Thu, 02-19-2009, 01:25 AM
Actually even the beginning of the anime is different from the manga, the time lines are kind of different. From the what i remember the first 20 - 25 episodes share relatively the same story, but are told differently. Then after that the anime splits completely. But it does make sense to start from the beginning, for even then the anime is different.

Hiwatari
Thu, 02-19-2009, 09:29 AM
if the anime already share some similar parts with the manga, won't a remake be repetition then? i do enjoy FMA, but frankly speaking, the story is already relatively conclusive with the release of the movie a couple of years back.

i haven't read the manga yet, but does it offer a different ending from the anime?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 02-19-2009, 09:46 AM
If you consider the earlier parts of FMA anime loyal to the manga, then yes it would be repetition. However, the whole point of this remake is to make an entire series that's loyal to the manga. For integrity purposes, they have every reason to remake everything from scratch.

Abdula
Thu, 02-19-2009, 10:58 AM
if the anime already share some similar parts with the manga, won't a remake be repetition then? i do enjoy FMA, but frankly speaking, the story is already relatively conclusive with the release of the movie a couple of years back.

i haven't read the manga yet, but does it offer a different ending from the anime?
The manga is still ongoing, and all you guys worried about repetition should relax. Its not like FMA wasn't repetitive anyway, and its not like you'll be watching a scene for scene remake of the original anime. Like Carnage said, even the early parts of the story are presented differently in the manga.

Dark Dragon
Thu, 02-19-2009, 11:33 AM

I'll make it simple and do a basic break down

Anime:

1. Event with Rose in Lior
2. brothers past flashback > train battle
3. events with Tucker while they are studying for Ed's state alchemist exam
4. Mining town
5. fillers episodes, the most notable one being them meeting the fake Elric brothers
6. They go back to central and the event with scar happened, how it started though was quite different in the manga.
7. Heading back home to repair Ed's automail > meeting marcoh
8. Philosopher's stone research and abandoned lab event > aftermath and the event with hughes (they freed greed at this point)
9. The brothers went to rush valley > got caught by their teacher Izumi who was looking for them
10. Island training flashback
11. Events with wrath (anime only)
12. Events with greed

Manga:

1. Lior > mining town > train battle
2. Tucker event > attacked by scar > heading back for repair and meeting marcoh
3. Philosopher's stone research > abandoned lab (Greed was never here in the manga)
4. The brothers went to rush valley > They decided to go meet their teacher Izumi
5. All the flashback, from them as kids > alchemy training on island > fail transmutation on their mother > Eds meeting mustang > Eds taking the alchemy exam
6. Events with greed and his homunculus (the events played out a bit differently in the manga).

The anime went down a different path after the events with greed.

Please note that all of the manga event took about 8 volume while the manga is currently on volume 21.

A lot of important things like how homunculus are created, the origin of alchemy and Hoenheim roles in the grand scheme are completely different in the manga.

That's why even though the event in the FMA anime gave "closure", there's plenty of reason to watch this new one since it will follow the author original intent for the story.

Oniken
Thu, 02-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Hmm so if the manga is still being released, how is this new series going to end? :/

Hiwatari
Thu, 02-19-2009, 07:58 PM
I'll make it simple and do a basic break down

Anime:

1. Event with Rose in Lior
2. brothers past flashback > train battle
3. events with Tucker while they are studying for Ed's state alchemist exam
4. Mining town
5. fillers episodes, the most notable one being them meeting the fake Elric brothers
6. They go back to central and the event with scar happened, how it started though was quite different in the manga.
7. Heading back home to repair Ed's automail > meeting marcoh
8. Philosopher's stone research and abandoned lab event > aftermath and the event with hughes (they freed greed at this point)
9. The brothers went to rush valley > got caught by their teacher Izumi who was looking for them
10. Island training flashback
11. Events with wrath (anime only)
12. Events with greed

Manga:

1. Lior > mining town > train battle
2. Tucker event > attacked by scar > heading back for repair and meeting marcoh
3. Philosopher's stone research > abandoned lab (Greed was never here in the manga)
4. The brothers went to rush valley > They decided to go meet their teacher Izumi
5. All the flashback, from them as kids > alchemy training on island > fail transmutation on their mother > Eds meeting mustang > Eds taking the alchemy exam
6. Events with greed and his homunculus (the events played out a bit differently in the manga).

The anime went down a different path after the events with greed.

Please note that all of the manga event took about 8 volume while the manga is currently on volume 21.

A lot of important things like how homunculus are created, the origin of alchemy and Hoenheim roles in the grand scheme are completely different in the manga.

That's why even though the event in the FMA anime gave "closure", there's plenty of reason to watch this new one since it will follow the author original intent for the story.

ok, i see the difference, as well as the similarities. However, for those of you who have/are reading the manga, do you guys forsee the ending being different from the anime (i.e. conqueror of shambala)?

Oniken
Sun, 02-22-2009, 12:50 PM
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4539284/12157886

CM3

masamuneehs
Sun, 02-22-2009, 07:23 PM
huh. saw the commercial and didn't realize it was a new one, but thought that it almost surely answered the question about where the remake will start. looks like it will start from the very beginning.

edit. really people... i'd have thought i could bump this thread...

The April issues of Kadokawa Shoten (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=82)'s Newtype (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=2918), Tokuma Shoten (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=61)'s Animage, and Gakken (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=497)'s Animedia (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=6795) magazines will announce on Tuesday the Japanese main cast for the 2009 Fullmetal Alchemist (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10216) anime remake (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-08-20/new-fullmetal-alchemist-tv-anime-series-confirmed) series:

Romi Paku (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=7021) as Edward Elric
Rie Kugimiya (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=808) as Alphonse Elric
Megumi Takamoto (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=51047) as Winry Rockbell
Shinichiro Miki (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=659) as Roy Mustang
Fumiko Orikasa (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=912) as Riza Hawkeye
Kenji Utsumi (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=548) as Alex Louis Armstrong
Keiji Fujiwara (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=949) as Maes Hughes
Yuji Ueda (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=384) as Jean Havoc
Kenji Hamada (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=798) as Vato Falman
Kaori Nazuka (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=439) as Maria Ross
Hidekatsu Shibata (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=2172) as King Bradley
Kenta Miyake (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=10398) as Scar
Kikuko Inoue (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=542) as Lust
Tetsu Shiratori (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=1495) as Gluttony
Minami Takayama (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=845) as Envy
Hiroyuki Yoshino (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=507) as Kimblee
Kouichi Yamadera (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=1009) as Isaac

My thoughts: A new Winry is fine with me. The old one doesn't stick out in my head as having done a particularly notable job, and she does get a good amount of screen time. The guy who did Roy the first time was pretty good, but the guy replacing him is Miki Shinichiro! He did excellent work in a slightly similair role in Last Exile, he was one of the only good things about the Black Cat anime adaptation, and he was also Lockon and Urahara!

Fujiwara Keiji is made of gold, and the only bad thing about him retaining the role of Hughes is that he doesn't get to have a bigger role!

Miyake Kenta does a pretty good "Big Man!" rumbling voice, but I don't know if he'll be able to pull off the brooding Scar.

They brought in a big name star to play the role of the sexy Envy, but I'm not very familair with her work... She's doing a decent job as Kati in Gundam00 now, but Detective Conan is still on-going, so...
edit - oh, wait, she was Dilandau? Damn. Alright, it'll be fine then.

I was never, ever, ever a big fan of Yoshino Hiroyuki, but he's slowly winning me over after doing some pretty good work in Chaos;Head (Takumi) and Tytania (Idris). He's playing Kimblee, so he better not fuck it up! (and the writers better not fuck up his character like they did in the first anime...)

also:
Hawkeye will be played be Rukia/Shirely (Geass) / Meyrin (that which shall not be named) / Pacifica Cassull (Scrapped Princess) / Kaaya (Tower of) 's VA

Bradley's voice actor will be back, which I like.

Lust's VA is a seasoned vet who was also Kasumi Tendou in Ranma, Belldandy, Aina in 08th MS Team, Maria in Gungrave and Uraha in Air, along with about 40 other roles.

All in all, should this report hold true, i'm pretty psyched.

masamuneehs
Sat, 03-14-2009, 10:15 AM
bump

from the official website
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo101/CXC_Scans/FMA.png

well, there it is. if you know what this means, you know what this means. i am now seriously fucking psyched for this.

also, i'd like to propose that at this point anything that is "manga only" be officially considered 'spoiler material' for this anime series.

Penner
Sat, 03-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Aiiiiih this is gonna be seriously awesome, can't wait!

Paulyboy
Sat, 03-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Haven't read the manga but this one seems pretty good. I loved the other version but it seems everyone is psyched. Is that supposed to be Hohenhime? in the middle?

Oniken
Sun, 03-22-2009, 02:28 PM
CM5: http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/4718027/12603838

2 weeks!

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-30-2009, 05:41 AM
Add FMA: Brotherhood to the list of "streamable anime".

Good to hear us Australians took the initiative this time. Hoping it's a sign for better things to come:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-03-30/2009-fullmetal-alchemist-debut-gets-australian-simulcast

Of course, I'll be downloading the subs as soon as they come out. ;)

FIRST EPISODE DISCUSSION HERE:
http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=17101

Munsu
Mon, 03-30-2009, 08:37 AM
I'll say this now, when this start I don't want any discussion from the manga OR the old anime. It will be considered spoilers. So the spoiler rules are in place and only discussion about episodes that have been fansubbed in this particular series will be allowed.

From the old series:

In this world, there exist people with special abilities to manipulate objects and transform those objects into other objects. These people are known as alchemist. However, this manipulation process does not come without cost, as the basic alchemy rules stated that something with equivalent cost is needed to perform the manipulation.

The main character is a famous alchemist named Edward Elric, who loses his little brother Alphonse in an accident. Edward manages to contain his brother's soul in a large piece of armor suit. But by doing so Edward loses his arm and leg, so now they are on a journey to regain their original bodies.
http://www.hagaren.jp/
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6107

Parkalash
Sun, 04-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Cant belive noone has Posted O_O
[Shinsen-Subs]_Fullmetal_Alchemist_2_-_Brotherhood_-_01_[1280x720_H.264_AAC]

http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Fullmetal_Alchemist_2_-_Brotherhood_-_01_%5B1280x720_H.264_AAC%5D%5BBAE6EB94%5D.mkv.tor rent

Sapphire
Sun, 04-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Ohhhhhhh shittttt. *Downloading now!*

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Nice. Does anyone remember which other groups was onto this? Menclave rings a bell I think, perhaps gg/qq too, but I can't confirm anymore since FansubWiki removed it (following licensing by Madman/FUNimation).

seanos
Sun, 04-05-2009, 09:37 AM
VinSubs have also released Episode 01 (H264) (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=57509).

masamuneehs
Sun, 04-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Fullmetal Alchemist - Brotherhood - Shinsen Subs - Episode 01 - mkv - direct download (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=58WKUQD0)

might we consider moving these posts to the Series en Fuego section?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Fullmetal Alchemist - Brotherhood - Shinsen Subs - Episode 01 - mkv - direct download (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=58WKUQD0)

might we consider moving these posts to the Series en Fuego section?

My understanding of how things work now is that threads get moved to en Fuego when newer episodic threads are made. (ie, this thread goes to SEF {after an appropriate title is given} when FMA2: ep2 comes out)

Or do you mean a FMA2: Brotherhood Release Info thread?

Kraco
Sun, 04-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Actually a new thread might have been as well made for the episode 1. However, you can hardly blame anybody for not doing it, since it's not that official yet FMA is going to be an En Fuego series.

Aside from that, it was a decent start. Lots of action for sure, for just one episode. I was never the greatest fan of FMA, though, and so my impressions are doomed to be negatively biased, but nevertheless I wasn't disappointed. It'll be interesting to see this till the end (especially since I haven't read the manga and thus I'm not familiar with the end).

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-05-2009, 11:04 AM
It was pretty good, and as it turns out, I've actually forgotten nearly everything but the names (and VAs) from the old series.

I know they've changed a lot of the cast around, but the only things I found a little odd were Rie Kugimiya as Alphonse and Fumiko Orikasa as Riza.

I was really used to the image in my head of Riza voiced by Michiko Neya. Melissa Mao (FMP!), Miss Deep (R.O.D) and Riza Hawkeye all sounding the same just seems right in the world. On the other hand, we have Shirley (Code Geass), Kaaya (Druaga), Rukia (Bleach), and Pacifica (Scrapped Princess). Not particularly a set of characters that exude the levels of confidence that Riza has when she's just standing there. Sure, she's done other characters that do fit that profile, but either recent or stand out roles hold more sway.

As for Rie Kugimiya, it just sounded a little off. Al sounded way more girly than ever before. It's been so long since she played any major male characters that maybe she's out of practice?

animus
Sun, 04-05-2009, 11:44 AM
The OP was ok, but it didn't have the old FMA feel that the old OPs had.

Meh, didn't really like Mustang's new VA. His VA (Urahara of Bleach and Takumi of Initial D), just seems too sly. I don't much like Kimblee's new VA either, never really liked him that much either, tbh.

edit: Edited out the spoilers I guess.

Dark Dragon
Sun, 04-05-2009, 11:55 AM
They are probably going to have some anime original material at the start. The first 20 or so ep of the first FMA anime follow the manga so it would be repetitive for fans to watch those parts again. We're most likely going to get a bit of background story and then head straight into where the first series left off.

narutosharingan
Sun, 04-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I can't get Shinsen's to download. Anyone else having this particular problem?

Board of Command
Sun, 04-05-2009, 01:09 PM
As for Rie Kugimiya, it just sounded a little off. Al sounded way more girly than ever before. It's been so long since she played any major male characters that maybe she's out of practice?
I thought Alphonse sounded alright. Maybe it's just your perception of Kugimiya Rie's recent roles that's throwing it off.

Kraco
Sun, 04-05-2009, 01:14 PM
gSS's Tokyotosho comment reminded me of the fact the OP sucked. I wonder why they chose a poor song for the OP for a series everybody would expect to be popular and gain attention. There must be some deeper psychology hidden in that.

RyougaZell
Sun, 04-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Any song by YUI is a win in my book. So I loved it. And I'll stick with Shinsen this time around if gSS is serious about changing it. They've already changed songs before.

I enjoyed the episode a lot. It helps that I only saw about 10 episodes of the first series before dropping it due to HDD issues (at that time I only had a 4GB HDD and no burner)

Marik
Sun, 04-05-2009, 01:45 PM
I can't get Shinsen's to download. Anyone else having this particular problem?

Yeah, the torrent was taking forever for me to download. Had to remove it from utorrent and grab it again for it to download fast.

narutosharingan
Sun, 04-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Yeah, the torrent was taking forever for me to download. Had to remove it from utorrent and grab it again for it to download fast.

I can't even get mine to start downloading.

Inazuma
Sun, 04-05-2009, 02:57 PM
THEY FUCKED ROY MUSTANG VOICE UP !

That had to get out, still the animation is pretty good but Roy's voice is shit. Is that Lockon's voice ? Are you kidding me ?

The day got saved by Armstrong, clearly. Without it, that first ep would have been a gigantic let down.

Kraco
Sun, 04-05-2009, 04:07 PM
I didn't have problems with Roy's voice. It has been so long since the old series that I only remembered Ed's voice, which is just as impressive as any Romi Paku's dude voices, of course. Roy's VA has some good roles like FMP's Kurz Weber and Samurai 7's Kyuzo. He suits me fine, especially if Roy appreciates ladies... (I haven't got a single recollection of whether he does.)

Marik
Sun, 04-05-2009, 07:33 PM
[Eclipse] Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood - 01 (1280x720) [70C1405D].mkv (http://torrents.no-sekai.de/eclipse/%5bEclipse%5d%20Full%20Metal%20Alchemist%20Brother hood%20-%2001%20%281280x720%29%20%5b70C1405D%5d.mkv.torren t)
[Eclipse] Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood - 01 (XviD) [16B3DC8C].avi (http://torrents.no-sekai.de/eclipse/%5bEclipse%5d%20Full%20Metal%20Alchemist%20Brother hood%20-%2001%20%28XviD%29%20%5b16B3DC8C%5d.avi.torrent)

Uberbaka
Sun, 04-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Just to get it out of the way: I didn't like Roys voice. But probably just because I thought the old one was brilliant. Newcomers probably won't notice anything and whining about it won't actually change anything so ah well.

Good ep, I've not read the manga, but I was entertained and I'm looking forwards to the rest of the series. It was kinda strange because it didn't feel like the other series (Not in a bad way), but it still is FMA...

Abdula
Sun, 04-05-2009, 08:20 PM
It seems we're on the same page. I agree the voices are kinda ruining this for me already. The majority of them just don't seem to fit and Mustang's especially just sounds terrible and so does Ed's, especially when he was screaming during that flashback. And yeah it really doesn't feel like FMA but it's just the first episode.

Other than that though the ep was pretty good, it's nice that we seem to be jumping straight into the story from the first episode. The only thing, other than the voices of course, that really bugged me about the episode was that they were really overplaying some characters and other characters were just acting out of character. They really overplayed Ed's character, especially the height thing, and Mustang was completely out of character.

-Because it has to be said, this episode was beautiful.

Takuma
Sun, 04-05-2009, 08:45 PM
When does the storyline start? Do/should I watch the movie before starting fma2? Thanks

animus
Sun, 04-05-2009, 08:59 PM
It seems we're on the same page. I agree the voices are kinda ruining this for me already. The majority of them just don't seem to fit and Mustang's especially just sounds terrible and so does Al, especially when he was screaming during that flashback. And yeah it really doesn't feel like FMA but it's just the first episode.

Other than that though the ep was pretty good, it's nice that we seem to be jumping straight into the story from the first episode. The only thing, other than the voices of course, that really bugged me about the episode was that they were really overplaying some characters and other characters were just acting out of character. They really overplayed Ed's character, especially the height thing, and Mustang was completely out of character.

-Because it has to be said, this episode was beautiful.

Al's VA is the same, btw. And Ed overplaying the height thing is actually much less than before.

narutosharingan
Sun, 04-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Watched Eclipse's subs, good as usual.

I don't know where most of the voice hating is, I think it's fine. Mustang's voice does sound a little weird compared to the original series, but it isn't bad. Just have to get used to it.

This was an interesting and action packed first episode. They introduced a lot of the characters quickly, as well as their powers. Even the "bad guys" were shown.

I enjoyed the OP and ED.

Abdula
Sun, 04-05-2009, 09:19 PM
When does the storyline start? Do/should I watch the movie before starting fma2? Thanks
Its the first episode, they just reintroduced the major characters. No you don't need to watch the movie.

Al's VA is the same, btw. And Ed overplaying the height thing is actually much less than before.
Really. Well now I don't feel so bad about never having watched the Japanese version of the original. Oh and I meant Ed's voice not Al's

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Romi Paku as Ed is the same voice actress from last season as well.

Yukimura
Mon, 04-06-2009, 02:22 AM
To my knowledge the bulk of the posters in this thread don't speak Japanese so why are so many of your posts talking about voices? What does it matter if a particular character sounds a certain way or not as long as the noise their voice makes isn't patently offensive to ones ears? I don't understand Japanese so I generally just tune voices out unless I need to keep track of who is speaking lines when it's not obvious from lip flaps.

Anyway, I liked that they started this series with events that were fresh to anyone who'd seen the previous series. One the one hand it really drove home this series' independence from the other one but at the same time it managed to reveal a lot of the same background information that was given in the first ep of the previous series, I thought that was well done. Other than familiarity with the characters I had little idea what was going on in this ep in terms of plot and I think that's a pretty good for a first episode of a remake.

On the matter of subs though I'm somewhat up in the air as who to stick with. Eclipse's video quality seemed a touch clearer than gSS's to me but I didn't like them adding President into Bradley's title . For one I'm too used to seeing "Fuhrer King Bradley" but even if that wasn't the case Japan doesn't really use the title 'President' and the German (which it's pretty clear what country the country in FMA is based off of) title of President is largely ceremonial. That was the only issue I noticed with Eclipse's sub though and I suppose it's not such a big deal that I'd want to step down in visual appeal over it.

masamuneehs
Mon, 04-06-2009, 03:06 AM
i thought it was a very good first episode. we had lots of action, many characters introduced, fitting levels of humor, and created the setting.

i do think the voice acting is important, and even if people aren't able to understand the Japanese, different voice actors and actresses bring a different touch and delivery of the characters. but i didn't have much of a problem with the new voices at all. I particularly like what I heard from Kimblee and... the girl on the phone in Lior... Mustang's voice is going to take some getting used to, but I certainly didn't think it was bad.

I liked both the OP and ED songs, and the soundtrack so far seems very good so far. I am not a big fan of the choice for the ED animation...

Armstrong's comic relief effect is incredible. Loved the fluid animation for the fights. I got Shinsen's version first, and, as you probably imagine, it's not as good as Eclipse's, the whole "Fuhrer vs. President" thing aside)

severe amounts of bonus points for what Yuki mentioned, the "freshness" of this first episode. it looks like this thing isn't going to disappoint.

yallo
Mon, 04-06-2009, 08:59 AM
OMG!!! More FMA goodness!!! :D

It's been a damn looooong time since I was so excited about an anime series... heh can't wait for the download to complete! *jumps*

Hmm between Shinsen-Subs and Eclipse, can anyone advise which is a better version to get? I'm quite out of touch with the various fansub groups now.

Edit: Wow can't believe it's been 5 years since I first joined this forum! And my post counts are still as pathetic as ever lol

Xelbair
Mon, 04-06-2009, 09:01 AM
I don't get what you have against Rie as Al's voice - it sounds similar to original series.
Kimbley's voice is perfect now - badass, but Mustang new voice is just bad...
Overall good ep.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Agreed about Mustang.

I actually like the OP, but that is partly because I am a fan of YUI. to be honest, I watched the episode just because I realized Yui sang the song the moment I heard the OP.

@Yallo - please contribute more then. After reading that post, it sure seems you have better grammar and can express youself better in general than some in this forum. More talk about this show is welcome.

Kraco
Mon, 04-06-2009, 09:21 AM
I guess aside from all the technical stuff, this new adaptation is going to do absolutely nothing about my main gripes: How inconsistent the alchemy powers are and how script driven is Ed's battle performance. Actually the homunculi were the biggest annoyance to me, but it's tied to Ed's erratic behavior. Furthermore, I didn't remember Ed is one of these "I won't kill the criminal even if that means the villain will butcher the whole town in the mean time"... Figures.

KrayZ33
Mon, 04-06-2009, 11:07 AM
what's wrong with Mustang's VA? I havn't watched the first FMA but in my opinion his voice is fitting, just like the others.

He seems to be the cool loyal type who is good in analysing stuff and so on, but when he goes into action he is very hot-tempered. His VA is doing a good job, just like the others.

and if I read Kraco's comment then I must say, it must be a good thing I haven't watched the first FMA... because were exactly is Ed's battle preformance script driven and how and where are the alchemy powers inconsistent in this ep?

some examples?

Abdula
Mon, 04-06-2009, 11:09 AM
but when he goes into action he is very hot-tempered.
Yeah that is why I said he was acting out of character, because he isn't.

Kraco
Mon, 04-06-2009, 11:21 AM
and if I read Kraco's comment then I must say, it must be a good thing I haven't watched the first FMA... because were exactly is Ed's battle preformance script driven and how and where are the alchemy powers inconsistent in this ep?

If I have understood correctly Ed's supposed to be some sort of a prodigy but all he did in this episode were cheap tricks and get his ass kicked, whereas this ice dude was levelling city blocks like nothing.

Obviously I won't be giving other examples since the show has just started. Kind of hard to give any...

KrayZ33
Mon, 04-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Yeah that is why I said he was acting out of character, because he isn't.

well... and is it the VA's fault? he was screaming when he said "don't underestimate my flames"

and during their first encounter on the rooftops he was just talking to Isaac normally.

If I have understood correctly Ed's supposed to be some sort of a prodigy but all he did in this episode were cheap tricks and get his ass kicked, whereas this ice dude was levelling city blocks like nothing.

uhm... it took him like 5 seconds to defeat Isaac after it was revealed that Ed is the Fullmetal Alchemist.

also, during the second fight Isaac was obviously empowered with this stone-thingy (red lightning instead of blue lightning when casting alchemy spells)

and is Ed really alot better than everyone else? from what I got in this first episode he is famous because he can control elements and cast alchemy without the circles , thus he is able to control not only fire or ice like the others, but many different things... from what I could see, every alchemist has a different "transmutation-circle" drawn on their hands or armor etc.

and to be honest.. isn't it a good thing that there are other strong alchemist out there? It would have been very boring if Ed's just going to solve every case in 3 seconds :/.

Kraco
Mon, 04-06-2009, 12:14 PM
uhm... it took him like 5 seconds to defeat Isaac after it was revealed that Ed is the Fullmetal Alchemist.

Führer defeated Isaac, not Ed. In fact Ed only made an amateur mistake by thinking he got the man defeated when in fact he hadn't.

and to be honest.. isn't it a good thing that there are other strong alchemist out there? It would have been very boring if Ed's just going to solve every case in 3 seconds :/.

Sure, it's a most excellent thing. Especially when there's some reason why there are tougher guys and girls out there. If they just happen to look tough because the plot forces the main character to do stupid things or not to do what would need to be done, then it's all in vain.

Abdula
Mon, 04-06-2009, 12:19 PM
well... and is it the VA's fault? he was screaming when he said "don't underestimate my flames"

and during their first encounter on the rooftops he was just talking to Isaac normally.
What? When did I imply that Mustang acting out of character had anything to do with his VA?

KrayZ33
Mon, 04-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Well I was talking about the VA and how he managed to characterize Mustang with his voice.
Or more exactly, that his voice is very fitting for the Mustang shown in this anime (and I thought you meant that the *VA* is making him look out of character.)

And that's also why I don't understand why or how the voices ruin this anime for you and the others. (especially since the 2 main characters have the same VA)

Führer defeated Isaac, not Ed

during their first encounter, Ed defeated him too... and when he was about to get imprisoned he escaped.. so basically it's not his fault that Isaac escaped (the case was over for him ^^)
the only difference here is that Führer defeated (an exhausted) Isaac by killing him

Penner
Mon, 04-06-2009, 06:36 PM
hmmm...Shinsen or Eclipse?

From previous experience they are both good but could someone who knows japanese/the manga tell me wich of the 2 have the most 'accurate' translations? :P

MFauli
Mon, 04-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Ok, i never read the manga nor watched the first anime-adaption. im totally new to this series.

That said, i like it overall, it feels as if thereīs potential for a great, adventurous shounen-series.

What i totally didnt like, though, was how the episode kept switching from super serious to super light-hearted. I.e. the very beginning when that ice magician killed several soldiers, and when he met Edward they started joking.
Then later the ice guy kept killing people by freezing them, and in the next scene Edward attempts some easy going fighting.
Maybe thats just me, but they should decide which tone to use for this series, and personally i prefer it a bit more serious than too much goofing around,

Also, WHY was Edward able to defeat the ice guy all of sudden, when he didnt have a chance before? "Oh, you saw the empy armor, now im 10 times stronger" ;-/

Anyway, ill keep watching

digitalrurouni
Mon, 04-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Awesome! Looks like its between Eclipse and Shinsen subs for me!

The1LittleMchale
Mon, 04-06-2009, 10:52 PM
I think Shinsen is better... but that is personal preference... I just figured I would say it so that maybe I could sway digital and penner to my side of their choice.

I am really excited about this series though... As soon as my friend texted me this morning I started rememberin the old series and how I got to see the movie at Otakon a few years ago... epic

KitKat
Mon, 04-06-2009, 11:10 PM
What i totally didnt like, though, was how the episode kept switching from super serious to super light-hearted. I.e. the very beginning when that ice magician killed several soldiers, and when he met Edward they started joking.
Then later the ice guy kept killing people by freezing them, and in the next scene Edward attempts some easy going fighting.
Maybe thats just me, but they should decide which tone to use for this series, and personally i prefer it a bit more serious than too much goofing around,

Yeah, I find the humour a bit strange because it's so extreme, especially when compared to the very dark themes of this show which they gave us a bit of a taste of in this first episode (war and death and human transmutation among other things). But then again, when I watched the first anime series, I was fairly new to anime in general and I'd never seen the humour style where they draw the characters all weirdly, so I found it really annoying. Now, I've seen a lot more anime, and it doesn't bother me as much.

DeathscytheVII
Tue, 04-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Pretty good opening ep to start.

Having Alleluyah's VA for Kimbley just suits his character perfectly.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-07-2009, 05:31 AM
Shinsen or Eclipse?

Based on their portfolio, Eclipse has better video quality, as well as very good subs. The general consensus is that Shinsen aren't quite up to par with them quality-wise.

Speed: Shinsen - if they prioritise it enough. These guys are a big group who try to sub as many shows each season as they can. When they bite off more than they can chew, some shows get dropped, while others get released erratically.

Eclipse is a much smaller group, and their release schedule has been very consistent, though not necessarily the fastest.

------------------------------
Good episode, coming from one who hasn't seen any previous material. VAs were all pretty good, and nothing felt out of place, but of course things can only be out of place if you assigned a correct place for them to begin with (for those who know each character's personality from other FMA media).

Alphonse was a biit annoying, if anything. Not so much girly, but more kid-like.

It's probably the art style, but some shots of Mustang's and Winry's face seemed rather squashed and square....

Kraco
Tue, 04-07-2009, 06:00 AM
Alphonse was a biit annoying, if anything. Not so much girly, but more kid-like.

He's supposed to be like that. He's the younger brother, and the older brother Ed is only... what? 15 years old? It's just the intentional clash of the hulking armour and the little kid's voice.

Sapphire
Tue, 04-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Agreed with Kit; the comic relief was a bit extreme, but still funny. I just assume it is like that because it's ep one. Haruhi also kind of had a comidic statement in it's first ep. The comic relief did work, though. It wasn't as effective as say, Druaga, but it did make me laugh. I think I prefer to be drawn into a darker and more serious mood in this type of anime. Of course some anime get too dark and moody like Eureka Seven and Blood+ D:

(Series en Fuego?)

Uberbaka
Tue, 04-07-2009, 11:41 AM
I personally quite like the roller coaster effect of what they've got going. At one point it's all light-hearted and then *BAM* they remind you what's really going on.

It worked extremely well in the previous anime, and I hope they keep it up for this one. (Sorry if that's too much comparing)

yallo
Tue, 04-07-2009, 11:45 AM
First impression of Roy Mustang's VA --- the voice sounds a tad too gentle and refined. But I guess it's all a matter of getting used to it.

What bothers me a bit more is the extreme swing between normal animation and those squiggly cartoon-ish looking drawings. Somehow I don't recall this "sudden comic relief" being so pronounced in the previous series. Wonder if that's how it is in the manga?

Came away feeling somewhat overwhelmed by this first episode, it kinda felt like they were trying to squeeze and pack a lot of information into it by introducing so many characters at one shot. The fight sequences also felt lacking in substance, half suspect it might be because this first episode is not actually from the manga? Can anyone confirm this?

Highlight of the episode --- debut of Armstrong and his pink twinkling stars! You gotta love those! :D

Oh and why is there "Brotherhood" added to the series name, is this official? Don't recall seeing this anywhere in the title screen of the anime.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 04-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Boy, I guess it's a good thing I'm not a VA fag otherwise I'd have hated this episode apparently.

As someone who watched all of the first FMA series, I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to know, and not know now, because I don't know what parts of the first series I need to retcon out of my brain as filler in order to understand whats going on.

It's all "Well, I know that character's secret, but maybe that secret was from the fillers and his actual secret is something completely different!"

Narasho
Tue, 04-07-2009, 01:35 PM
I don't know if this has been said before, but was the entire first episode filler? I suppose they had to reintroduce the characters... but hopefully they stay true to the manga in this rendition.

Animeniax
Tue, 04-07-2009, 01:48 PM
I watched the first episode just to see YUI's new song in the OP. I didn't like the song at first, and I'm not enough of an FMA fan that the show would change my mind, but the song is growing on me, mostly because I love YUI and it's cool to see the song to animation. I imagine I'd like the song even more with a live action video from YUI.

I never made it through the entire first series; didn't care enough about the storyline or characters. From what I can tell, almost everything is the same in this new series: the animation style, voice actors, humor, plodding storyline, characterizations, etc, just set to a new (or more manga based) storyline.

It's like the different versions of Tenchi Muyo to me, though I liked the characters on that show enough to see all versions.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 04-08-2009, 05:12 AM
plodding storylineNot exactly sure how you can determine that from one episode.

Animeniax
Wed, 04-08-2009, 05:51 AM
Not exactly sure how you can determine that from one episode.
The episode's storyline was plodding, the previous series storyline was plodding. I extrapolated to determine the rest of this series' storyline will probably be plodding.

Hey if I'm wrong, I'll be the first to apologize. If I'm right, life goes on.

itadakimasu
Wed, 04-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Um... I was under the impression that it was starting 4-9-09...

digitalrurouni
Thu, 04-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Based on their portfolio, Eclipse has better video quality, as well as very good subs. The general consensus is that Shinsen aren't quite up to par with them quality-wise.

Speed: Shinsen - if they prioritise it enough. These guys are a big group who try to sub as many shows each season as they can. When they bite off more than they can chew, some shows get dropped, while others get released erratically.

Eclipse is a much smaller group, and their release schedule has been very consistent, though not necessarily the fastest.

------------------------------
Good episode, coming from one who hasn't seen any previous material. VAs were all pretty good, and nothing felt out of place, but of course things can only be out of place if you assigned a correct place for them to begin with (for those who know each character's personality from other FMA media).

It's probably the art style, but some shots of Mustang's and Winry's face seemed rather squashed and square....

Agreed with your post pretty much. Eclipse's release was quite stunning. I definitely like their quality much better.

It is a bit weird to hear Roy Mustang's voice to be the same as Urahara/Lockon/Col Romanov's but its all good. All I can say is that the OP was awesome and it was an awesome episode!

lelouch
Sat, 04-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Roy Mustang's animation seems to be a bit sketchy... Did anyone else notice his face is sometimes stretched out to the sides a bit and his hair looks like it was drawn in MS paint? Same with edward elric sometimes...

MFauli
Sun, 04-12-2009, 07:32 AM
Btw., with all that hype this series is getting...can someone explain whats the big deal with Fullmetal Alchemist? I mean...not to be rude, but this first episode could as well have been a Naruto-filler episode, except for the character change, of course.

Is it getting better?
Or did the original FMA-series a better job in starting the whole thing? This really seemed as if it was aimed at knowledgable fans.

Penner
Sun, 04-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Not sure if this was supposed to be in some other already existing thread, but here it is anyway.

subbed by Shinsen-Subs

FMA: Brotherhood - EP 2 (720p) (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Fullmetal_Alchemist_2_-_Brotherhood_-_02_%5B1280x720_H.264_AAC%5D%5B300D8FF0%5D.mkv.tor rent)

Sapphire
Sun, 04-12-2009, 09:02 AM
I think because it's a better rendition of something we all at least mildly liked years ago (or were pissed that it was ruined by changes from the manga years ago).

So a mixture of nostalgia, curiosity, or just pure enjoyment has hooked most of us.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Relevant quote from the episode 1 thread:

Or did the original FMA-series a better job in starting the whole thing? This really seemed as if it was aimed at knowledgable fans.
I know that this is not a popular opinion, but I think this was a perfect example that "true to the manga" does not necessarily mean better.

The pacing on this episode sucked.

The whole thing felt incredibly rushed, maybe that's the way it is in the manga, but that does not change that it is badly done. If you were not familiar with everyone already (hence the quote) I think you'd be fairly lost. The scene where the brothers attempted to resurrect their mother felt very cut, as if a large section was simply missing. There was also a significant rush from where Ed told the Grandma and Winry that he was going to be completely rehabilitated in a year to him taking the State Alchemist Exam.

I have never read the manga, and if they go back to any of these later, great, otherwise this definitely felt like insider information that only fans of the original series or those who are far into the manga would be able to fill in all the gaps.

New Winry VA is fine, no complaints, though I still preferred Megumi Toyoguchi.

Penner
Sun, 04-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Yeah it did feel like it fast forwarded at times.

One more thing, i find that voice in the mid-ep-cut that says "Fullmetal Alchemist" to be incredibly....lame/annoying/tacky or whatever -.-

digitalrurouni
Sun, 04-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Yeah it did feel like it fast forwarded at times.

One more thing, i find that voice in the mid-ep-cut that says "Fullmetal Alchemist" to be incredibly....lame/annoying/tacky or whatever -.-

Agreed very much. I am finding that I liked the other series better so far. Granted its only 2 episodes old the new series...but still.

Dark Dragon
Sun, 04-12-2009, 01:34 PM
It seems like they are intending to rush through most of the manga material that is covered by the other series. Looks like they are going to Lior next episode and it's possible that the whole event will ends in one episode.

Marik
Sun, 04-12-2009, 02:27 PM
[Eclipse] Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - 02 (1280x720 h264) [8452C4BF].mkv (http://torrents.no-sekai.de/eclipse/%5bEclipse%5d%20Fullmetal%20Alchemist%20Brotherhoo d%20-%2002%20(1280x720%20h264)%20%5b8452C4BF%5d.mkv.tor rent)
[Eclipse] Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - 02 (XviD) [3D3D8911].avi (http://torrents.no-sekai.de/eclipse/%5bEclipse%5d%20Fullmetal%20Alchemist%20Brotherhoo d%20-%2002%20(XviD)%20%5b3D3D8911%5d.avi.torrent)

lelouch
Sun, 04-12-2009, 05:50 PM
I was very upset because the State Alchemist exam of the original series was one of my favorite parts and they completely butchered it here...

Splash!
Sun, 04-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah it seems like they are just trying to go through the overlapping parts of the manga and the previous anime as quickly as possible, which is not too bad for those who have already watched the previous series, but sucks for those who haven't. To be fair, the beginning of the original anime is pretty much the same as the manga, so if they didnt rush through it and change some stuff here and there, you would be watching the exact same episodes as the last series. So for those of you who enjoyed the previous series, you can just think of the beginning of the previous anime as how everything really started. Its an awkward way to start of the anime, but I can't really blame the producers, its a tricky business to start all over again, while making sure its still different. Depending on how they approach it, it could end up being a disaster. But I still think its worth that risk to try and recreate the manga storyline, its just that good!(at least in my opinion).

Death13a
Sun, 04-12-2009, 08:08 PM
I am fine with exam being shortened but i do hope they will expand on after transmutation and Eds rehab.

masamuneehs
Sun, 04-12-2009, 10:24 PM
i think Ryl did well bringing up MFauli's question from the first episode. there is a TON of stuff crammed into this episode, and in many ways I think it was bad to give us so much backstory without developing the characters more. Based on just these two episodes, I'd hardly care about Ed or Al at this point, much less their mom or Winry...

They really jumped back and forth too much in this episode. They're working to set the story, but they littered this episode with tons of plot points, and didn't do well elaborating more than two of them.

They could "go back and add more" to stuff like their training, Ed's re-training, before their mom died, about Winry's parents suddenly being dead. But I've never been a fan of delivering the main course of a backstory first, then giving the appetizers and "rounding it out" with little add-ons here and there. Always feels like poor planning to me...

I did enjoy the scene where Mustang found the brothers. His VA is absolutely fine in my book. The part with Hawkeye was good as well. They did cut one of my favorite things out of the State Alchemist Examination part, but I absolutely love King Bradley, and so anything with him is solid gold in my book. I was on the fence about the way they did "The Truth", but that isn't the kind of thing you can easily package into an anime. Probably shouldn't have tried to put any humor in that scene...

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-12-2009, 11:01 PM
The backstory was indeed glossed over. I haven't read the manga or seen the original anime, but I did know the general plot on how his mother died/Alphonse lost his body/Human transmutation etc ages ago.

As Masa said, doing things this way really doesn't give you much emotional attachment towards the characters. Since I didn't read about Winry, I was confused. Was she just a neighbour, or a relative? How did they know her, why is she attached to Ed?

The Truth was interesting...though I wonder why Al didn't get to know anything. From what I think happened, the decomposition/recomposition stuffed up, therefore not recomposing that basin of materials properly, and decomposing Al's body? Is it because it was a "stuff-up" that he lost his body, rather than an exchange for knowledge?

Then how did Ed's work? It's not like he wanted to know how to do it. It just....happened.

Meh, they better explain this soon.

Y
Sun, 04-12-2009, 11:29 PM
The first act of this series is impossible to pace well for fans of the first series, since by the nature of what this series is trying to do it will reproduce large parts of the first series. You can rush through the material or painstakingly reproduce things the audience has already watched years ago, neither of which are very good options (see how lukewarmly Evangelion 1.0 was received for an example of the latter and this episode for an example of the former).

DarthEnderX
Tue, 04-14-2009, 01:32 AM
Did anyone mention in the last thread at what point the old anime diverges from the manga?

Dark Dragon
Tue, 04-14-2009, 03:35 AM
Did anyone mention in the last thread at what point the old anime diverges from the manga?

I did here (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=420349&postcount=59).

Kraco
Tue, 04-14-2009, 05:45 AM
This certainly rushed things, but for me that's perfectly fine. It's not like I'm dying to see the same stuff all over again, and it's not like the old series was from pre-computer times and thus greatly in need of graphical updating. If they are saving time and money for stuff never before seen animated, that's cool.

narutosharingan
Wed, 04-15-2009, 12:39 AM
I don't have a problem with them rushing it either. I do agree that you have less of an emotional attachment, but I think that's fine because it's the kind of series where you're going to get that anyway as you progress, assuming nobody major dies early. I enjoyed the first series, but I'm interested to see how it differs from this series, pacing included. Maybe they want to place more emphasis on the future and how they try to find the philosopher's stone rather than dwell on the past.

Everon
Wed, 04-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Strangely enough, I'm a bigger fan of the adaptation than the manga. So this kind of pacing doesn't really set me on the right foot. I've had some nagging doubts that this remake is a good thing.

Trying not to be a downer. I'll keep all those positive things everyone has said in mind.

itadakimasu
Thu, 04-16-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm taking this in pretty well. The original is one of my favorite series ever and I didn't like the idea of a remake...

So far I think it has a little bit of a different feel to it than the first. I'm definitely going to keep watching. I like how in this ep they elaborated on what happened when they tried to bring back their mom. That was good stuff.

MFauli
Thu, 04-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Hm, it´s still rather hard to watch for me.
I dont like Edward, he just...seems out of place for a main character of a shounen series.

What i really hate, though, is that they call this alchemy. What they´re doing is magic, nothing else. They talk about how you need to give something to gain something, but Edward simply puts his hands together and puts a spear out of the ground.
Alchemy is chemistry, just with the distinct goal of chaning material into another kind of material (making gold, for example).

I will keep watching, but so far i cannot understand the popularity of the show.

Kraco
Fri, 04-17-2009, 03:42 AM
What i really hate, though, is that they call this alchemy. What theyīre doing is magic, nothing else. They talk about how you need to give something to gain something, but Edward simply puts his hands together and puts a spear out of the ground.
Alchemy is chemistry, just with the distinct goal of chaning material into another kind of material (making gold, for example).

Based on the examples so far, it's pretty evident they only need to satisfy the material side of the exchange. Energy just comes from somewhere. The spear, for example, was obviously made of the materials the floor provided.

MFauli
Fri, 04-17-2009, 04:23 AM
Energy just comes from somewhere.

Yeah, well, as i said: Thats magic, not alchemy ^^

KrayZ33
Fri, 04-17-2009, 04:54 AM
energy could come from their bodies for example
much like in naruto, chakra, chi and whatnot.

if I'm not mistaken, the body constantly produce and consumes energy.

naturally the energy wouldn't be enough to transmute anything but it's a manga/anime after all and people didn't know that they need something like a nuclear power station to transmute metal to gold for example back then (the anime plays around 1914?)

Dark Dragon
Fri, 04-17-2009, 05:05 AM
Yeah, well, as i said: Thats magic, not alchemy ^^

Where the energy come from will be explain later in the story. I'd say stick with it if that is your only gripe.

edit: On second thought, maybe you shouldn't stick with it. You're taking this whole "Alchemy" label too seriously and i would suggest not doing that for any shounen anime. I suppose it does seem like magic and the explanation that come later in the story might not be sufficient enough for you to say it's not.

masamuneehs
Fri, 04-17-2009, 08:14 AM
personally, I almost totally agree with MFauli. Whether it's "ki" "soul power" "chakra" "alchemy", whatever, this is magic. It doesn't matter how many convoluted reasons or serious explanations it gets, it's magic of some kind with some kind of cool name to give it an extra spin.

Now, I like the way this show pulls it off. Whether or not there is that much moisture in the area for the Ice Alchemist to make glaciers, whether or not turning dirt into a ridiculous shield or condensing naturally occuring gaseous elements into controlled, directed fire is "real alchemy" is a mute point. The alchemy angle is just a vehicle, an element of the setting. And the "magic" in this show is entertaining because the vehicle is so technically drawn out by the show.

Elements and chemistry are pretty standard "fantasy" fare. In a lot of ways, this show is like we're watching a bunch of Pokemon meets Magic the Gathering, turned into people. Mustang is a Charizard. Ice Alchemist is a Blastoise (or something). Armstrong is a Onyx. But they still need Red, Blue, whatever, Mana, (or elements) around them to be any use. This adds a very interesting slant to the show, because everyone has a set range of special abilities, necessary conditions to use these abilities, and natural advantages and disadvantages against other fighters. Sure, Ed is a special case, but, hell, HE'S AN ANIME MAIN CHARACATER. He's always going to be a special case.

But, really, the thing is the conditions stated for using alchemy / magic. We saw how some characters have prepared equipment to enable their abilities. But there are also times where it's just an "oh fuck, fuck, where the fuck is some water? I need some fucking water!". And we get cool stuff like the wall prison, the canteen grenade, the blood sword. I mean, seriously, it's a freaking sword made of the dude's blood. There's no way in any world that that isn't magical. But it is also pretty fucking badass.

Sure. It's not "alchemy" just like "chakra" in Naruto isn't any kind of actual chakra, just like "fuel/energy" in any mecha series isn't any kind of actual fuel. It's always "bullshit". What matters is how you package and sell the bullshit. That's fiction.

I'm not going to tell you to like it or not, watch it or not. I do think it's good for people who haven't seen the first anime or read the manga to watch and give comments on it. But, well, this is just my two cents. I totally see where you're coming from, but unless you're like a serious alchemist or care a lot about true alchemy, you should try to just not let it get on your nerves (man, somebody is going to totally turn this on me about my rants on Gundam shows one of these days...)

November 11
Fri, 04-17-2009, 09:04 AM
I agree with above. The main attraction with "alchemy" in this anime is the requirements to use it (water to make ice etc). I dislike the typical magic fare where characters pull stuff out of nowhere.

The only gripe I have with the alchemy is the human taboo. I mean, whats so special about human?! They are living beings just like any other organisms. Maybe the taboo applies to all biological components, not just humans?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-17-2009, 10:38 AM
I agree with above. The main attraction with "alchemy" in this anime is the requirements to use it (water to make ice etc). I dislike the typical magic fare where characters pull stuff out of nowhere.

Well, in his defense, "magic" in Fate/Stay Night is also defined as the art of equal exchange.

I'm not entirely sure about the Taboo thing. I think it's like our current cloning issues. It's not right to clone one (now), but animals are fine. Perhaps they are too in FMA.

From Mustang's words when he visited Eldric(?) brothers, it's been done successfully before.

I also had a good laugh at Masa's stark difference in opinion of plot devices in FMA and Gundam. In particular where he openly embraces: "Stuff alchemy, it's just a bullshit term to make cool stuff happen", while.......you know.

MFauli
Fri, 04-17-2009, 10:39 AM
masamune, yeah, i see all that. and i will keep watching FMA, maybe i´ll get used to all they do.

But to come back to the "alchemy"-discussion:
It just seemed to be all magic, no kind of alchemy involved at all. You mentioned Naruto, and let me tell you that im only reading the Naruto-manga anymore because i want to know how it ends. But the story became boring to me when Kishimoto decided to turn Naruto into Dragonball 2, which was at the beginning of part 2, when suddenly every crappy ninja had uber-strong ninjutsu and visible chakra...ya know, back then when Naruto went berserk against Haku, Kakashi was totally shocked that Naruto´s chakra was visible...now that´s standard. Basically, from an originally well explained chakra-system, Naruto was turned into another magic-setting, again.

Or to make it short, i prefer well explained stories and things like magical power-sources. Naruto did a great job at the beginning. Another great show on that matter would be Hunter X Hunter.

Abdula
Fri, 04-17-2009, 03:50 PM
If you like well explained stories then you should definitely stick with FMA because it does that pretty well. Personally if I wasn't already familiar with FMA then I wouldn't think too much of this series either but you should definitely give it a chance because it gets better. Right now they are simply assuming that everyone watching FMA 2 watched the original FMA so they are really just rushing through the material till they get to where the anime and the manga went their separate ways.

And like they said don't be bothered too much with the whole alchemy thing.

One of the things I like about this series is the way everyone just accepts alchemy. They are told this is how alchemy works and this is what is necessary for you to use it and they just go along with it never questioning anything and never really knowing the truth.

Ryllharu
Fri, 04-17-2009, 04:17 PM
The only gripe I have with the alchemy is the human taboo. I mean, whats so special about human?! They are living beings just like any other organisms. Maybe the taboo applies to all biological components, not just humans?
Human transmutation is taboo because it violates the Law of Equivalent Exchange. The implied meaning is that there is absolutely no material or energy equivalent to the human soul.

Ed was able to salvage Al's soul probably only due to the short length of time that had passed since Al's body was destroyed, but it cost Ed his arm as well.

Ed and Al could find the exact quantities of compounds that could rebuild their mother, even recreate the genetic make-up using their own blood, but they can't put a soul into the body once it has passed on. It just creates that thing.

November 11
Sat, 04-18-2009, 01:08 AM
Human transmutation is taboo because it violates the Law of Equivalent Exchange. The implied meaning is that there is absolutely no material or energy equivalent to the human soul.

Ed was able to salvage Al's soul probably only due to the short length of time that had passed since Al's body was destroyed, but it cost Ed his arm as well.

Ed and Al could find the exact quantities of compounds that could rebuild their mother, even recreate the genetic make-up using their own blood, but they can't put a soul into the body once it has passed on. It just creates that thing.

That is a good explanation but I am guessing the Equivalent Exhange Law limitation applies to all sentient beings, including humans.

In theory, using their own blood in the transmutation would only produce a clone of themselves rather than their mother. Using the original subject's blood makes much more sense.

To bring Al back, Ed may have to find a dead body and transfer the soul from the armor into it. To avoid losing any more limbs, he can find an apprentice to do it.

poopdeville
Sat, 04-18-2009, 08:11 AM
I am liking this version. I enjoyed the quick pace. I always thought the first series was slow at the beginning, and about two thirds of the way through. I liked the way Fuhrer Bradley was developed a little -- totally unlike the first series. I didn't even know he used swords until now.

Abdula
Sat, 04-18-2009, 09:28 AM
I liked the way Fuhrer Bradley was developed a little -- totally unlike the first series. I didn't even know he used swords until now.
Right, that means you either didn't watch the first series or simply didn't pay attention because its really hard to miss something like that.

animus
Sat, 04-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Hm, it´s still rather hard to watch for me.
I dont like Edward, he just...seems out of place for a main character of a shounen series.

What i really hate, though, is that they call this alchemy. What they´re doing is magic, nothing else. They talk about how you need to give something to gain something, but Edward simply puts his hands together and puts a spear out of the ground.

I will keep watching, but so far i cannot understand the popularity of the show.

You obviously haven't studied Chemistry very much. As often cases, getting two chemical processes is as simple as adding two reactive components together, or one reactive component with another element. The process itself will often produce enough heat or energy for chemical reactions to take place, forming new bonds and different compounds and materials.

And what Alchemy tries to do is manipulate the elements with transmutation symbols or whatever. Alchemy is still fantasy however.

MFauli
Sat, 04-18-2009, 10:35 AM
You obviously haven't studied Chemistry very much.

Well, im in my 2nd semester, maybe thatīs not enough.

And what Alchemy tries to do is manipulate the elements with transmutation symbols or whatever. Alchemy is still fantasy however.

Thats just wrong. Alchemy per se is nothing fantasy-related...well, itīs goal might be, but not how itīs done. What alchemists tried was to find the right mixture of some materials to produce another, rare material. But they didnt use "transmutation symbols". It was chemistry, just with another goal in mind.

What FMA does, however, is magic. Just magic. And like i said, ill keep watching, but it doesnt really take its own title very serious.

Ryllharu
Sat, 04-18-2009, 10:50 AM
You might know a lot about chemistry, but I wonder if your view of historical alchemy is a little skewed towards legitimate science.

Symbology was a huge part of historical alchemy. Celestial phases, astrology, metaphysics and spirituality were also included.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemical_symbol
http://www.alchemywebsite.com/amcl_astronomical_material.html
http://www.alchemywebsite.com/amclglr13.html

FMA treats the "magical" powers of alchemy here as very much an exact science, much as historical alchemists treated their own as "science." They may have treated it as science, but it for many of them, it was fantasy all the same, they just pretended to follow the scientific method.

poopdeville
Sat, 04-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Right, that means you either didn't watch the first series or simply didn't pay attention because its really hard to miss something like that.

Removed spoiling and flaming. Nothing was left.
-Kraco

Abdula
Sat, 04-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Poopdeville the discussion in this thread is actually pretty good so please don't ruin it by making a fool of yourself. If all you wish to do is rant about how much you hate me send me a PM, I'll enjoy reading it.

Kraco
Sun, 04-19-2009, 09:44 AM
poopdeville (and others), please bear in mind Bud's words from the first post of the first thread:

I'll say this now, when this start I don't want any discussion from the manga OR the old anime. It will be considered spoilers. So the spoiler rules are in place and only discussion about episodes that have been fansubbed in this particular series will be allowed.

Digging up details from the old anime is not allowed. You are allowed to say "this is worse/better than the old series", but that's it. No details. No trivia.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-19-2009, 10:27 AM
[Shinsen-Subs]​ Fullmetal​ Alchemist​ 2​ - Brotherhood​ -​ 03​ [1280x720] (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/[Shinsen-Subs]_Fullmetal_Alchemist_2_-_Brotherhood_-_03_[1280x720_H.264_AAC][3C82F663].mkv.torrent)
[Shinsen-Subs]​ Fullmetal​ Alchemist​ 2​ - Brotherhood​ -​ 03​ [848x480] (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Fullmetal_Alchemist_2_-_Brotherhood_-_03_%5B848x480_H.264_AAC%5D%5B65576CCB%5D.mkv.torr ent)

[Eclipse] Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - 03 (h264) (http://torrents.no-sekai.de/eclipse/%5bEclipse%5d%20Fullmetal%20Alchemist%20Brotherhoo d%20-%2003%20(1280x720%20h264)%20%5b11E50952%5d.mkv.tor rent)
[Eclipse] Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - 03 (xvid) (http://torrents.no-sekai.de/eclipse/%5bEclipse%5d%20Fullmetal%20Alchemist%20Brotherhoo d%20-%2003%20(XviD)%20%5b93B77D64%5d.avi.torrent)

-----------------------------
I'm starting to like the more lighthearted mix of humor and drama that this season has been fairly consistent using. It reminds me of Soul Eater, and makes it more enjoyable. They don't really compromise when it is time to get serious, but the simplified art and animation are very amusing.

I'm not sure if Rose with toned-down hair is better or worse. On one hand, it's not bright pink anymore and seems more realistic, on the other hand, she still has two-toned hair and there is less of an excuse that she simply dyed her forelocks and bangs.

Penner
Sun, 04-19-2009, 11:52 AM
That was awesome...and hilarious!

Except for that god awful voice saying "Fullmetal Alchemist" in the middle, it annoys the hell outta me -.-

Marik
Sun, 04-19-2009, 08:29 PM
[Eclipse] Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - 03 (1280x720 h264) [11E50952].​mkv (http://torrents.no-sekai.de/eclipse/%5bEclipse%5d%20Fullmetal%20Alchemist%20Brotherhoo d%20-%2003%20%281280x720%20h264%29%20%5b11E50952%5d.mkv .torrent)
[Eclipse] Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - 03 (XviD) [93B77D64].​avi (http://torrents.no-sekai.de/eclipse/%5bEclipse%5d%20Fullmetal%20Alchemist%20Brotherhoo d%20-%2003%20%28XviD%29%20%5b93B77D64%5d.avi.torrent)

masamuneehs
Sun, 04-19-2009, 11:53 PM
i'm still not sold on how they'll just throw humor into a scene, then try to seriously deliver drama ten seconds after a joke. i also have a bone to pick with not including a certain scene, but on the whole it was decently enjoyable, even if poorly paced.

Instead we got a "evil masquerader tries to coax the nice little civilian girl to pick up the gun and kill the good guy" standard. And the monster form at the end of the fight? seriously?

also, can somebody teach the script writer what a "dramatic pause" is? I have never seen so many instant cuts in a dialouge.

All in all, it was a pretty enjoyable episode, but I can't help but have enjoyed it more another time. I really liked the final scene where Cornello got killed though. The darker and action stuff is what's really appealing to me in this show so far.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-20-2009, 05:11 AM
That was awesome...and hilarious!

Except for that god awful voice saying "Fullmetal Alchemist" in the middle, it annoys the hell outta me -.-

I will happily watch any group who decides to edit that part out of the track.

Pretty enjoyable episode otherwise. It's weird how you can have a stone, eve if it's fake, to have the same powers as the Philosopher's Stone. If it does indeed have the same properties, even if fake, you just need to have lots of them to accomplish your task.

They've also only ever referred to Ed as a State Alchemist, so is Al one too? It would be cool if he is, since I want to hear about whatever name they gave him, but on the contrary, if he's not, then he's not obliged to obey orders, and can do things outside of the limitations of a State Alchemist.

Splash!
Mon, 04-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Or to make it short, i prefer well explained stories and things like magical power-sources. Naruto did a great job at the beginning. Another great show on that matter would be Hunter X Hunter.

Fair enough. I think what might have thrown you off a bit would be the first episode where the Ice Man's 'alchemy' was just way too powerful. Bear in mind though, he was using a philosopher's stone, which even in real alchemy was just a way to explain something that was impossible at that time.

What Armstrong pulled off should be more typical of what veteran alchemists in the show are capable of. Even for these alchemists, the scale at which the Ice Man was applying his alchemy should have seemed like he was using some sort of magic to bend the rules.

But I am not going to argue with you about alchemy being magic because you are right. In this show, alchemy is magic, but with a stronger emphasis on transmuation of matter.
Consequently, most of the explanations will still be along the lines of 'I decomposed this', 'restructured that compound', 'modified this shape', etc. Therefore, you shouldn't expect to see glowing energy balls of willpower and stamina, which hopefully is a plus for you.

Carnage
Mon, 04-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Al is not a state alchemist.

animus
Mon, 04-20-2009, 06:57 PM
http://forums.gotwoot.net/gallery/files/5/7/9/2/FMA-lol_original.jpg

I'm surprised I was the only one that noticed this.

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-20-2009, 07:01 PM
I noticed it too, but then they panned out and revealed it was a reflection in Rose's eye rather than an animation screw up. My thoughts were, "Nice save there BONES."

animus
Mon, 04-20-2009, 07:08 PM
To the untrained it seems to work, but even as a reflection it doesn't!

Shitsen strikes again. @15:55 it says Left Arm, when clearly the voice says Migi.

animus
Mon, 04-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Whoops, accidental double post had an internet hiccup. Please delete.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-20-2009, 08:05 PM
To the untrained it seems to work, but even as a reflection it doesn't!

Shitsen strikes again. @15:55 it says Left Arm, when clearly the voice says Migi.

What's the correct version? I gave them a chance....maybe I'll go back to either BSS or Eclipse now. Whichever still releases it by Monday morning before I head off to uni.

narutosharingan
Wed, 04-22-2009, 01:19 AM
What's the correct version? I gave them a chance....maybe I'll go back to either BSS or Eclipse now. Whichever still releases it by Monday morning before I head off to uni.

Al says Migi, and Eclipse says right.

Boy that was a slipup with animation. How do you make a mistake like that

Uberbaka
Wed, 04-22-2009, 01:50 AM
"Oh noes D:" I simply cannot tolerate a minor translation mistake in my super fast and as free as they get fansub.

Ah well.

poopdeville
Wed, 04-22-2009, 03:35 AM
See, this is why I was pissed off. Abdula picks apart my post for an awkward (but non-spoiler, by design) phrasing of a detail about a character, saying that it is "really obvious" Bradley did something they never show him do. He knew full well I would have to talk about the old anime in detail, which I refused to do. Yeah, the implication is that I don't know what I'm talking about, as he said in his PM to me.

Though my post was obliterated, I didn't really say anything about Bradley, except that he used a damn power on this show.

His lame rhetoric needs to stop. He is a classic troll, and I am ashamed to have become caught up in his pace. Apologies to the rest of the forum.

sl00ke
Fri, 04-24-2009, 10:03 PM
correct translation, however its the left arm :P

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-26-2009, 10:31 AM
[The_Alchemists]_Fullmetal_Alchemist_2_-_Brotherhood_-_04_[848x480_H.264_AAC][4DE4B140].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=60900)
[The_Alchemists]_Fullmetal_Alchemist_2_-_Brotherhood_-_04_[1280x720_H.264_AAC][3802F060].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=60899)

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-26-2009, 12:27 PM
So in light of all the C&D letters that Funimation sent out to all of the groups, I'm guessing from the exact matches in filesize that this is...a totally brand new group?

/s

EDIT:

Eclipse's version is out as well.

Cal_kashi
Sun, 04-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Does that mean every week it's gonna be trickier and trickier to get our fix?
Or are the groups just going to hide behind 7 proxies?

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Certain groups (who I won't name outright) are not contactable through any means recognized as official avenues to deliver a legal notification. They have operated this way for years.

It will change a little, but not significantly. That said, if you live in the US, or other locale where you can access and view Funimation's streamed version, you should do so.

Cal_kashi
Sun, 04-26-2009, 01:36 PM
duly noted, thanks. ;)
when does funimation usually update? They don't have 4.
Realizing we joined at the same time; I need to stop lurking.

\heh, i found my avatar.

I'm confused by his death in the beginning. I kinda thought this series was filling in the blanks from the first up until now. It seems out of place.

digitalrurouni
Sun, 04-26-2009, 04:39 PM
here is eclipse's release http://torrents.no-sekai.de/eclipse/%5bEclipse%5d%20Fullmetal%20Alchemist%20Brotherhoo d%20-%2004%20(1280x720%20h264)%20%5b0C79871D%5d.mkv.tor rent

Just watched episode 3 and know I should not post about it here, but is it just me, but the animation in the first series of FMA was better than this one? And also I hate the stupid 'funny' faces they make in the middle of some serious action. Also I dont like how they showed them running away from the henchmen with Rose. Too loose and too not serious considering the story of this show. Not liking it one bit!

KrayZ33
Sun, 04-26-2009, 04:40 PM
hmmm seems like I can't watch it in my area (germany) :(

do I have to shit bricks more than usual if I keep downloading it ?
who or what is FUNimation btw?
looks like a better version of Crunchylol, not bad at all

oh and where can I check which regions can watch this show and which not? (just curious whether it's only FMA or all the other stuff there too.)

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 04-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Still a sad episode no matter if its this version or the previous. Poor poor Nina.
And it surprised me that Basque Gran died so soon.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-26-2009, 04:58 PM
hmmm seems like I can't watch it in my area (germany) :(

do I have to shit bricks more than usual if I keep downloading it ?
who or what is FUNimation btw?
looks like a better version of Crunchylol, not bad at all

oh and where can I check which regions can watch this show and which not? (just curious whether it's only FMA or all the other stuff there too.)
Shinsen's forums were loaded with people who CLAIMED to be able to view the stream in other countries, but so far as I can tell, it's the US, Canada and maybe the UK. Australia cannot because the rights to FMA are owned by another company, Singapore can't, and obviously a large chunk of the non-English speaking EU can't either.

Funimation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funimation) is a licensing/distributor in the US probably best known for many years as the distributors of Dragonball...and not too much else until recently. In 2005, they were acquired by another publishing corporation, whereafter they began to send out a whole hell of a lot more C&D letters.
Properties licensed by Funimation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Properties_licensed_by_Funimation)

That said, as most licensors go, their translations are pretty good, and I like their thin-packs.

@Cal_kashi:
As for updates, they're probably a week behind, like Crunchyroll when you're not getting fleeced by their pay-to-watch-sooner policy.
----------------------------------------------------

So, by the conversation in the squad offices, they're skipping over the coal mine incident.

I have to say I wish they skipped over this episode, one of the few I remembered all to clearly, and certainly did not want to see again. But the man with the X-shaped scar (spoiler: since they haven't official named him) seems important, so I guess you can't skip the disgusting waste of life that is Shou Tucker. That death was too easy for him. I would have preferred it be...messier.

This series needs an infusion of Winry...

EDIT: Naruto_RNG confirmed below that Canadians can use their site. Updated appropriately.

RyougaZell
Sun, 04-26-2009, 07:13 PM
I remember stopping seeing the original series after this episode since I found its manga source to be different (and that I didn't had enough HDD at the time). I kinda remember the ending being different on the anime for it started deviating from the manga. Can't remember what did though. But yes... that guy's dead was too light.

here is eclipse's release http://torrents.no-sekai.de/eclipse/%5bEclipse%5d%20Fullmetal%20Alchemist%20Brotherhoo d%20-%2004%20(1280x720%20h264)%20%5b0C79871D%5d.mkv.tor rent

Just watched episode 3 and know I should not post about it here, but is it just me, but the animation in the first series of FMA was better than this one? And also I hate the stupid 'funny' faces they make in the middle of some serious action. Also I dont like how they showed them running away from the henchmen with Rose. Too loose and too not serious considering the story of this show. Not liking it one bit!

Uhh... you aware those 'funny faces' are in the manga... right?

About Funimation... I like their work on One Piece (have bought 3 dvd sets from them... 39 episodes... haven't bought the recent ones) but screw them on FMA. I can't watch their streams either (Mexico) even though some of their dvd get released in my region (on Mixup stores or similar music / dvd stores)

This content is not available in your territory.

FUNimation® Entertainment manages a full spectrum of rights for anime series acquired from producers in Japan. These rights include broadcasting, licensing, production, home video sales and distribution, as well as internet. The rights agreed upon may vary per series or per region. If you are receiving this message, FUNimation does not have the internet rights for this series in your area.

If you believe you are currently in a territory to which FUNimation has rights, please e-mail us your current location at Webmaster[@]Funimation.com so we can investigate the discrepancy.

Thank you for your interest!

Return to FUNimation.com

© 2008-2009 FUNimation Entertainment. All Rights Reserved.

Naruto_RNG
Sun, 04-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Nice I didn't know They were doing it. Its open for Canada as well, I just checked. sweet I'll be watching this series and Phantom there now. Though got to get use to watching a week late hehe.

Dark Dragon
Mon, 04-27-2009, 02:00 AM
It seem like a lot of people are having problem with the drastic shift from serious to comedy.

This is actually common in most shounen manga and that include FMA. This series is being very true to the manga so far with a few minor exception, so i suggest getting used to those faces or simply drop the show if it bothers you that badly.

I'm used to reading manga so that sort of things doesn't really bug me, but i can see why some peoples might be bothered by it. I usually just see it as a "break" from all of the tension build up during the serious moments of the episode. This is also the sort of comedy that might be better in manga format so when translated to animation, it doesn't really works that well.

edit: I also suggest not going into this and expecting it to be similar to the first series because it most likely won't be. The manga is far less "serious" and "tragic" when compare to the first series.

Anyways, that's my rant.

I'll try to refrain from making anymore connection to the first series or the manga, but i believe this had to be said.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-27-2009, 06:43 AM
Well, as for episode discussion, this was certainly the most powerful episode thus far. The mother dying and brothers losing limbs/bodies was done well enough, but given the amount of development it got, you didn't really feel anything for them. They were well done I'll say, but not that effective.

In contrast, Nina and Alexander are probably the most likable characters so far, apart from Armstrong. She was so excited to finally get her Dad's attention, then BANG:

They're turned into mutated what-you-call-them. And still they worry for their Dad.

THIS is why you don't fuck with human transmutation.

A painless death was more than Shou Tucker deserved, but I'm glad they killed him off either way. An extra Tucker episode may cost me a new LCD monitor.

Xelbair
Mon, 04-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Armstrong likable? never...
Good ep, some minor shifts from manga, but in my opinion anime did those scenes better than manga.

Penner
Mon, 04-27-2009, 11:08 AM
The scene where the chimera spoke to Ed and he realized it was Nina...that was creepy as heck even tho ive seen the original and knew it was coming, gave me goosebumps ;P

poopdeville
Mon, 04-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Well, as for episode discussion, this was certainly the most powerful episode thus far. The mother dying and brothers losing limbs/bodies was done well enough, but given the amount of development it got, you didn't really feel anything for them. They were well done I'll say, but not that effective.

In contrast, Nina and Alexander are probably the most likable characters so far, apart from Armstrong. She was so excited to finally get her Dad's attention, then BANG:

They're turned into mutated what-you-call-them. And still they worry for their Dad.

THIS is why you don't fuck with human transmutation.

A painless death was more than Shou Tucker deserved, but I'm glad they killed him off either way. An extra Tucker episode may cost me a new LCD monitor.

The Nina + Alexander creature is a "chimera" in English and Greek. It's pronounced very similarly to how the Japanese pronounce it, though I think we stress the middle syllable instead of the first.

Yeah, Tucker is a sorry sack of shit.

And yeah, I like Armstrong too.

I think the show is pretty "serious". It has a feel like Hunter x Hunter, since the consequences of messing up are so serious. Current characters really do die, unlike other anime (*cough* One Piece, which I like for very different reasons)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-27-2009, 07:03 PM
The Nina + Alexander creature is a "chimera" in English and Greek. It's pronounced very similarly to how the Japanese pronounce it, though I think we stress the middle syllable instead of the first.

I always thought it was pronounced kye-mare-ra, while the Japanese pronounced it Shi-mer-ra. Meh, like you said, we seem to stress the middle syllable. I hesitated to use the term because the definition I was taught is that a mythical Chimera was a mixed animal of a certain combination, ie lion, snake and goat.

What Tucker said did bring up a good point though. Many significant medical advances took place either during a war, an epidemic, or was experimented on people inhumanely (eg on POW). Only when people died could we find ways to save others.

These days, we've got Ethics Committees and stuff. Is that "progress" in terms of humanity, or is it an "obstacle"? In Ed's words "There's only so much you can do transmutating animals."

This law of equivalent exchange thing is depressing.

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-27-2009, 07:20 PM
The Greek is Χίμαιρα (chi, stressed iota, mu, diphthong of alpha and iota, rho, alpha). So if I remember the pheonetics of Greek (close enough to Latin), the proper pronounciation should be Kye-me-rah, similiar to what Buff posted.

(The transition between 'me' and 'rah' is soft. 'αι' should be a falling diphthong, the way 'eye' is in English.)

Cal_kashi
Mon, 04-27-2009, 08:59 PM
I always thought it was pronounced kye-mare-ra, while the Japanese pronounced it Shi-mer-ra. Meh, like you said, we seem to stress the middle syllable. I hesitated to use the term because the definition I was taught is that a mythical Chimera was a mixed animal of a certain combination, ie lion, snake and goat.

What Tucker said did bring up a good point though. Many significant medical advances took place either during a war, an epidemic, or was experimented on people inhumanely (eg on POW). Only when people died could we find ways to save others.

These days, we've got Ethics Committees and stuff. Is that "progress" in terms of humanity, or is it an "obstacle"? In Ed's words "There's only so much you can do transmutating animals."

This law of equivalent exchange thing is depressing.

The war argument isn't acceptable in my opinion, there's no reason the same advances couldn't have been made in a more humane way. If anything it's just an excuse to justify the horrible actions taken.
It's also very similar to the torture debate going on in the US right now. Maybe sometimes torture can yield results, but A) you don't know if the information is valid. B) You don't know if it could have been gotten in a more humane way. And C) it's NEVER worth compromising the values of the nation in order to save some lives. It just makes the entire country more worthless.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-27-2009, 09:18 PM
And C) it's NEVER worth compromising the values of the nation in order to save some lives. It just makes the entire country more worthless.

http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=426578&postcount=1111

-------------------------------------

The war argument isn't acceptable in my opinion, there's no reason the same advances couldn't have been made in a more humane way. If anything it's just an excuse to justify the horrible actions taken.

As you said in your torture argument, there's no guarantee that doing things a certain way will or will not get the same results. But how about things like testing a person's maximum pain tolerance (ie till death?), time for them to suffocate, minimum survivable blood pressure to list a few. They might be accomplished with less extreme methods, but how long would that take? As you said, we can't guarantee. How many more people would have died due to this lack of knowledge because we did things the longer humane way?

In my original post, I wasn't saying it's right. Just that that's what happened, regardless of whether war was an excuse or a cause.

Cal_kashi
Mon, 04-27-2009, 09:30 PM
I guess that's a more appropriate forum for this discussion so I'll stop after this and head over there. (Been away for a while). I don't disagree it sped up what was discovered, or that a slower discovery could have resulted in more deaths. But I don't think the moral and ethical cost of the actions can ever justify what was gained.

I understand now. Originally I thought there was a sentiment that the results in some way shape or form lessened the atrocities committed. It was this sentiment that I was rallying against vehemently.

Anyways. This episode really changes things doesn't it? Since Tucker is dead, and Ed didn't see Basque Grand die. I'm actually more excited now for what's coming than I was before. Especially since I've avoided the manga since I heard about this series.

Abdula
Wed, 04-29-2009, 10:12 AM
I was ambivalent about continuing this series. While the overall production quality is much greater than the last series, for whatever reason I'm not as into this series as I thought I would be. There is just no attachment to the characters and the scenes themselves have little to no impact. Though I suppose that is all because of the pacing of the previous episodes.

This episode however was different. They took the time to introduce Tucker and Nina and develop them a bit, and for once I actually sympathized with Ed and Al. So yeah this episode gave me some hope for the upcoming episodes, although I'm still not sure I won't just pass on them and wait until this series gets around to the new material.

There is something else that is kinda of bothering me. I let it slide in the first episode, and even in the last episode when Ed fought Cornello but I noticed it again in this episode when Scar was fighting Basque Gran. The fighting so far has really been terrible, its nothing like what I remember the fight scenes being in FMA. It just seems so Naruto-esque and not in a good way either.

Also I'm not quite sure how I feel about them skipping over the coal mine incident. Yeah it wasn't a big plot point, but Lieutenant Yoki plays a more significant or at the very least a more apparent role in this series so we should have at least been introduced to him.

Btw I think it's funny that you guys hate Tucker so much. I'm very interested to see what your reactions will be to some of the stuff that comes later in the series.

Archangel
Wed, 04-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Maybe it just feels like this to me because i watched the previous anime and read the manga but doesn't anyone think they're rushing the story a bit too much?

Btw I think it's funny that you guys hate Tucker so much. I'm very interested to see what your reactions will be to some of the stuff that comes later in the series.

There aren't gonna bed any more little girl homicides on this series so i'm wondering what the hell you mean by that ...

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Maybe it just feels like this to me because i watched the previous anime and read the manga but doesn't anyone think they're rushing the story a bit too much?They are definitely rushing it. The pacing on the first three episodes was pretty bad, and they've been alluding to things that they have obviously cut out. This episode was the first one that didn't feel like it was sliced apart and skipped things, aside from telling us that we're not going to see whatever happened in the mining town.

The general consensus is that they are rushing through the beginning material that the original series covered more than adequately to waste less time getting to the altered material so that BONES can finish all of the content in a decent number of episodes.

Watch what you say Archie, manga or talk of future events that were covered in the first run of FMA are heavily discouraged (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=424011&postcount=1) by Munsu.

Archangel
Wed, 04-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Yeah, the fact that they skipped the mining city episode annoyed me a bit. It's gonna be hard for someone to keep up with the show if they don't watch the first "season".

I would hardly classify the lack of infanticide in an anime as a spoiler

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-29-2009, 06:08 PM
But now I've been spoiled knowing that for the remainder of the series, [there are no "little girl homocides"] as you put it.

Knowing that a particular something isn't going to happen is the same as knowing that a particular event happens. It is confirmation of future events one way or the other.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-29-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm not having trouble keeping up with this show. (FMA noob I am).

Like Ryll said, the first 3 eps felt sort of rushed. Rushed in the sense that things were simply "Yep, glossed over that, move on". It wasn't until this episode where they elaborated enough on any one character (besides Ed/Al, but it wasn't enough in ep 2) to form any real bond, and hence emotional impact.

I'm not so worried about how this compares to the first FMA series, but more so how it compares to the original manga material, and living up to the claim "being faithful to the manga". That, of course, is taboo here.

Sapphire
Fri, 05-01-2009, 06:22 AM
Wow Guys - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is already on Hulu.com (http://www.hulu.com/watch/70427/fullmetal-alchemist-brotherhood-fullmetal-alchemist)

This is literally the fastest I've ever seen a Japanese anime officially subbed and put online freely for American viewage. They even subbed the OP (though they forgot to translate it..). Of course fansubs are still generally better, but I think this is actually viable competition for the fansubbers, if it isn't already (at least America wise).

It's less surprising that they picked a mainstream anime though. I will be totally shocked if/when they pick something like Basquash/Queen of Blade to sub... ahh

Yukimura
Fri, 05-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Never heard of Crunchyroll? Kurogane no Linebarrel, Tower of Druaga S2, Skip Beat, Naruto Shippuuden, Blassreiter, and probably other shows I've never heard of are/were all simulcast worldwide via Crunchyroll at essentially the same time they aired in Japan (to within a few hours). Hulu by comparison seems to be two eps behind on Brotherhood. I'd hardly call that competition considering at least half of the groups oversubbing Brotherhood release within 24 hours of the eps airing.

Munsu
Fri, 05-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Looks like it's a couple of episodes behind. Who's subbing it?

Sapphire
Sat, 05-02-2009, 10:10 AM
I guess Funimation people are subbing it, Munsu?

Oh right I forgot about CrunchyRoll. But CrunchyRoll is literally a site oriented towards anime and Asian media, so I put it in a different category with stuff like aznv.tv.

The point is that though it's one or two weeks behind, it's being aired on a site like Hulu and being bluntly exposed to a lot of people who aren't looking to watch anime in the first place. CrunchyRoll picked a bunch of fairly new anime that only the rabid anime fan or manga fan would know about while Hulu picked a pretty good anime with long standing popularity and wide recognition. I expect this would drastically increase viewage and maybe even general interest in anime.

Yukimura
Sat, 05-02-2009, 05:02 PM
You're right, no one but the 'rabid fandom' knew about Naruto or Skip Beat before Crunchyroll came along. Maybe a few curious people will stumble upon FMA Brotherhood who wouldn't otherwise watch Cartoon Network and see [adultswim] commercials for it but I don't think this is the beginning of the second anime revolution or anything. Just for the sake of argument FMA Brotherhood is a brand new anime just like all the other 'officially' streamed shows available across the internet. Just because it's a retelling of another anime that turned out to be popular among non and new anime fans doesn't mean it will automatically absorb the popularity of the original, especially among viewers unfamiliar with the original, only time will tell.

meller
Sun, 05-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Episode 05 is available - some rumours say it's subbed by Eclipse - :

EP 05 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=62233)

The strange mixture betweeen serious action/humour is still ongoing.

kr,

Cal_kashi
Sun, 05-03-2009, 10:59 AM
The animation seemed a lot better today, especially in the Ishbal fight.
I also like how dark Scar is (personality). Good episode, it flew by as fast as this week's bleach didn't.

Ryllharu
Sun, 05-03-2009, 11:00 AM
some rumours say it's subbed by Eclipse - :
The torrent is labeled "ShinsenSubsSuck" on tokyotosho. But it's not shinsen either, since their translator left after the C&D letters. It's not Eclipse, it is just another speedsub.

EDIT:
This would be why it's definitely not Eclipse.
[Eclipse] Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - 05 (1280x720 h264) (http://torrents.speedsubs.org/eclipse/%5bEclipse%5d%20Fullmetal%20Alchemist%20Brotherhoo d%20-%2005%20(1280x720%20h264)%20%5b3373DF87%5d.mkv.tor rent)
[Eclipse] Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - 05 (xvid) (http://torrents.speedsubs.org/eclipse/%5bEclipse%5d%20Fullmetal%20Alchemist%20Brotherhoo d%20-%2005%20(XviD)%20%5b2A33391F%5d.avi.torrent)

salmonman78
Mon, 05-04-2009, 04:34 AM
uhhh, I got the 1280x720 and having issues playing the sub/audio and picture aren't matching up. Friggin fustrating as I loved the first one now cant seem to get this to work.

Edit: Managed to find the lower res 848x480 and works fine, guess its just my laptop unable to handle the higher res. Awesome espisode cant wait for the rest to finish

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-04-2009, 05:59 AM
1) Use a better computer
2) Try VLC
3) Get a lower def release

-edit: Forgot to refresh page

Penner
Mon, 05-04-2009, 09:20 AM
God damn that was some good stuff! go Armstrong!

itadakimasu
Mon, 05-04-2009, 10:44 AM
when armstrong was fighting it was great when hawekeye says "...but why is he naked?!" hahaha.

Ryllharu
Mon, 05-04-2009, 03:27 PM
I always thought the first series was a little lacking in Hawkeye and in Winry. This episode certainly showed why we need more of the former. I hope this adaptation gives them a little more screentime, even if they're not as important as Ed or Al. I don't remember all the details of the previous series, but I certainly have fond impressions of the the episodes where either of them played a large role.

Armstrong too.

Penner
Mon, 05-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Alot of people doesnt seem to care much for the weird humor elements thrown in the middle of more serious/action scenes but personally i love it, its fuckin hilarious :D

narutosharingan
Mon, 05-04-2009, 11:22 PM
This is just flying through. I do like the pace, it's making me excited about what's to come later.

Sam98034
Thu, 05-07-2009, 02:46 AM
part 5's out, shouldn't it be in this forum?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 05-07-2009, 04:09 AM
part 5's out, shouldn't it be in this forum?

Episode 5 thread is here: http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=17184

It'll be moved to the En Fuego folder next week.

Sam98034
Thu, 05-07-2009, 05:11 AM
Sorry, I didn't see anything about this in the hints & rules or sticky section, so what is en fuego actually? Is it part of gen. anime or not?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 05-07-2009, 05:53 AM
Sorry, I didn't see anything about this in the hints & rules or sticky section, so what is en fuego actually? Is it part of gen. anime or not?

Short answer: yes, it's a subsection of the General Anime forum.

This thread will give you an idea of how the En Feugo section came to be.

http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=15913

Sam98034
Fri, 05-08-2009, 12:56 AM
That topic is more about suggestions on what should be in the en fuego section, but what is the en fuego section as opposed to the general anime section? And do you have to wait a week or something to get into it? (ep 5)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-08-2009, 01:38 AM
That topic is more about suggestions on what should be in the en fuego section, but what is the en fuego section as opposed to the general anime section? And do you have to wait a week or something to get into it? (ep 5)

Short answer: yes. (Have you actually read the thread from start to finish? See post #58, 3rd last paragraph)

Anyways, post there if you have any queries about how the En Fuego thread runs, or how you think it should be run. Of course, asking about anything previously posted will probably get slammed right back.

/end En Fuego discussion.

Ryllharu
Fri, 05-08-2009, 03:33 AM
Since someone hasn't actually answered (even though this is not the right place for it, but this is the shortest way to end this):

Current episodes stay in General Anime, old episodes get moved to En Fuego when a new episode comes out. Any topics not related to a specific episode go here as well.

/tired, no patience
(mods can delete this post if they see fit)

Sam98034
Fri, 05-08-2009, 04:36 PM
I think scar looked cooler in the other series, though. He looks older in this series, like scars dad or much older brother. But, yeesh, the guy's dodging bullets now! How is he so fast? He must have been a student of Gai.

Archangel
Fri, 05-08-2009, 04:55 PM
I think scar looked cooler in the other series, though. He looks older in this series, like scars dad or much older brother. But, yeesh, the guy's dodging bullets now! How is he so fast? He must have been a student of Gai.

He was doing that in the previous anime too

Sam98034
Sat, 05-09-2009, 01:50 AM
I know, but the way he dodges bullets this time around looks a lot quicker and more badass, he glides through the air cowboy bebop style.

Marik
Sun, 05-10-2009, 02:10 PM
[Eclipse] Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - 06 (1280x720 h264) [97C5CB7A].mkv (http://torrents.speedsubs.org/eclipse/%5bEclipse%5d%20Fullmetal%20Alchemist%20Brotherhoo d%20-%2006%20%281280x720%20h264%29%20%5b97C5CB7A%5d.mkv .torrent)
[Eclipse] Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - 06 (XviD) [212C4D26].avi (http://torrents.speedsubs.org/eclipse/%5bEclipse%5d%20Fullmetal%20Alchemist%20Brotherhoo d%20-%2006%20%28XviD%29%20%5b212C4D26%5d.avi.torrent)

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 05-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Sweet downloading now!

Ryllharu
Sun, 05-10-2009, 04:36 PM
This show needs more Winry, half of an episode was not enough. Her deadly accurate wrench-throwing abilities and numerous metal earrings are always a plus.

That, and Ed really looks like a girl with his hair down.

Archangel
Sun, 05-10-2009, 07:12 PM
This show needs more Winry, half of an episode was not enough. Her deadly accurate wrench-throwing abilities and numerous metal earrings are always a plus.

That, and Ed really looks like a girl with his hair down.

You'll be happy to know that there will be alot more humor on this version on FMA and alot more Winry too.

Also when we're lucky we'll get both at the same time, and it will be awesome

And yes Ed looks alot more pretty on the anime than he does on the manga

Sam98034
Mon, 05-11-2009, 01:08 AM
This ep was a little boring compared to what we've seen so far, but I guess we can't expect so much excitement every episode. And, btw, did Winry's boobs get smaller, or am I getting my boobs confused?

Archangel
Mon, 05-11-2009, 08:57 AM
And, btw, did Winry's boobs get smaller, or am I getting my boobs confused?

I was just watching the original on tv ... and you might have a point

Kraco
Mon, 05-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Guys, guys, guys. You know what has been said about talking and comparing this to the older series. I might have let it slide if you had been talking about something unimportant like the plot or yet to be seen characters, but since you were talking about something as fundamental as boobs, I'm only one millimeter away from giving you both a temporary ban.

Anyway, I join those who wish more Winry. Though who knows how long her charm could last if there was a lot of her.

Penner
Mon, 05-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Hmm, for some reason the 720p eclipse version wont play properly for me... and thats odd since ive never had that problem before and i havent changed any settings or codecs :P
The picture and audio kinda "jerks/skips/lags" forward and whatnot...

meh, im downloading it from another group and check if its the same crap with that or if this is just some random occurance, i did try to delete and redownload the 720p eclipse but the problem persists-.-

Edit:
Hmm, the [TMD-ASU]​_Fullmetal​_Alchemist​_Brotherhood​_-​_06​_[H264-720p][B6A22790]​.mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=63764) version works perfectly..weird but whatever, atleast it works :P

Sam98034
Wed, 05-13-2009, 01:04 AM
Get your comp checked for swine flu. I hear it's a bad virus going around.

*I guess this was lame and unfunny since I added nothing meaningful, booo.

NeoCybercoin
Mon, 05-18-2009, 02:44 AM
FMA 7 h264 by Eclipse (http://torrents.speedsubs.org/eclipse/%5bEclipse%5d%20Fullmetal%20Alchemist%20Brotherhoo d%20-%2007%20(1280x720%20h264)%20%5bB9AA0038%5d.mkv.tor rent)

FMA 7 XviD by Eclipse (http://torrents.speedsubs.org/eclipse/%5bEclipse%5d%20Fullmetal%20Alchemist%20Brotherhoo d%20-%2007%20(XviD)%20%5bBDF53579%5d.avi.torrent)

There ya go. Enjoy

Penner
Mon, 05-18-2009, 06:08 AM
Thanks^^

Edit:

What the fuck, same as last time it lags/skips, it cant play properly.. and this only happens with the Eclipse releases for some reason, every other tv-show/anime i watch is 720p hd (and i watch alot of stuff) and they work flawlessly, except for Eclipse's releases... very strange :P

Here's a link to another 720p version if anyone other than me has this weird playback issue, [TMD-ASU]_Fullmetal_Alchemist_Brotherhood_-_07_[H264-720p][52139D04] (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=64857)

Board of Command
Mon, 05-18-2009, 12:27 PM
I've never had playback issues with Eclipse's releases.

Ryllharu
Mon, 05-18-2009, 03:59 PM
What the fuck, same as last time it lags/skips, it cant play properly.. and this only happens with the Eclipse releases for some reason, every other tv-show/anime i watch is 720p hd (and i watch alot of stuff) and they work flawlessly, except for Eclipse's releases... very strange :PEither your encodes are way out of date or you have a crappy computer. I can't think of any other explanations for why you have issues, particularly with a group like Eclipse. Before I finally upgraded to a new computer, the only way I could watch 720p videos was to use CoreAVC for all h264 videos. Eclipse's releases were one of the very few things that played smoothly before I started using it.

http://www.coreavc.com/

It's actually well worth the price. I still use it on the new one.

RyougaZell
Mon, 05-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Nice episode.

One thing I just noticed for the first time... Ed has both human arms in the opening at his first shot.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Nice episode.

One thing I just noticed for the first time... Ed has both human arms in the opening at his first shot.

What, at like 0:35, right before you see his Mum? I'm positive that's his dad.

Edit: unless you mean the kids.