PDA

View Full Version : Peer 2 Peer

Archangel
Tue, 08-19-2008, 02:31 PM
What do you guys think is the best p2p sharing program?

Until recently i've been using Limewire but according to wikipedia that shit if full of malware.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-20-2008, 08:20 AM
What do you guys think is the best p2p sharing program?

Until recently i've been using Limewire but according to wikipedia that shit if full of malware.

The program itself is safe, but yeah, the files being shared can come loaded. I would still use it for songs though, but that's about all.

uTorrent would by my suggested client for Windows.

Not sure about other platforms though.

itadakimasu
Wed, 08-20-2008, 09:50 AM
limewire is trash...OMFG! paris hilton sex.avi.exe !!!!! i must dl it and open it !!!

but yeah, utorrent is definately the way to go.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Funny thing is you can often tell if a file's poisoned or not.

When a dozen results turn up with different file names, but exactly the same (and ridiculous) file size, you know something's fishy.

If not utorrent, then possible bittorrent. Last time I used that, it had a nice integrated search function built in, with some rather well known torrent sites. The preview feature has never worked for me, but I can imagine it to be handy when it does it's job.

I stand by my first opinion though, utorrent is all you'll need. Just go to their homepage, and read their FAQ. Most questions can be answered there.

Assassin
Wed, 08-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Well i always used Ares for music related stuff. But recently i can't get it to work...its says 'connecting' but never actually connects. Dunno why that is. and the fucking 'ares vista' version which isn't free.

ChaosK
Thu, 08-21-2008, 12:57 AM
I use Limewire pro and have no problems with viruses...but I only use it for music and when a song I know is 3min long and shouldn't be more than 5-6mb at most, and I see one that's 20, I'm not gonna download it...

Buffalobiian
Thu, 08-21-2008, 02:43 AM
I use Limewire pro and have no problems with viruses...but I only use it for music and when a song I know is 3min long and shouldn't be more than 5-6mb at most, and I see one that's 20, I'm not gonna download it...

Limewire is fine for music. It's only when you start searching for movies and 18+ stuff that it starts to get messy.

Music isn't immune though. Generally, I find that infected files are much smaller than what they should be.

Take ChaosK's example, I could be looking for a song (or since it's an example, a movie), and you'll find something like this:

The Dark Knight - 700MB
tHeDarkKnIgHt - 568K
DarkKnight Sex scenes - 568K
Dark Knight movie 568K
Batwoman Panty shots 568K

I think the thing is smaller files attract the noobs:

"Haha, there's all these people downloading the big file when I can get it for less than 1MB. Stupid people...."

NM
Sat, 08-23-2008, 08:22 AM
There are torrent sites around where you can get music. Just need to do a bit of searching but the general ones like mininova you'll be able to find the music you're looking for. And you can always google "Album/Artist name".torrent or something to that effect and bring up even more results. And then there are the torrent sites where its strictly music torrents (but you need to be invited and hold a proper share ratio to get/stay in).

I'd recommend torrents over Limewire anytime.

The Heretic Azazel
Wed, 08-27-2008, 11:29 PM
For music specifically, I like using Soulseek. It's a very low resource program, and doesn't work off seeds/peers, you establish a connection and download one file at a time from each user. When you get fast speeds from someone who also has a lot of files you want, it's easy to add them and expand your library in a hurry.

Killa-Eyez
Tue, 09-09-2008, 06:34 PM
...you establish a connection and download one file at a time from each user. When you get fast speeds from someone who also has a lot of files you want, it's easy to add them and expand your library in a hurry.

Kinda sounds like DC++. I remember using Kazaa Lite Dark Resurrection alot in the old days. I miss Audio Galaxy.:( I now use LimeWire Pro if I'm just searching for a particular song, and use µTorrent for the bigger files, whole music albums, anime's, movies etc.

Yukimura
Wed, 09-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Just to throw it out there...but what's good for 18+ these days? Torrents tend to be fine (if a bit tedious to search for) for XXX stuff released on DVD but I remember back when Kazaa was cool there was a lot of stuff you could find on it from specialty websites that normally charge a subscription fee and what not. Has Limewire picked that sub-culture up?

Killa-Eyez
Thu, 09-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Not really. LimeWire is more focused on music then it is on anything else. You could use it for other files and get lucky but most of it will be hazardous for your pc's health.