PDA

View Full Version : BOBSGAME: My friend's 5 year project

Assertn
Mon, 08-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Guys, check this link out...
http://www.bobsgame.com/

My friend Bob basically spent the past 5 years of his life working on this game. I was really impressed with his dedication, and thought I should share.

XanBcoo
Mon, 08-11-2008, 01:38 PM
I hope Bob has more interesting things to do in his game besides wandering around the mall.

The concept is pretty impressive though. Looks like something someone could have made on RPGmaker, only he created it all himself. Good for Bob.

Assertn
Mon, 08-11-2008, 02:39 PM
well, if you read the caption....the video is supposed to be of an asset demo.

But yeah, Bob is paranoid and is hesitant to show significant gameplay footage.
I'll mention if anything new gets posted though...

Death BOO Z
Mon, 08-11-2008, 02:41 PM
well, tell your bob-friend that mindless level grinding dungeon crawling is half the fun of any RPG...

still, looks decent, I hope it won't end up as "it's friday today, so wait a few hours before you can find the next quest character, go read a book or something until then".

Animeniax
Mon, 08-11-2008, 02:43 PM
I think bob's game video is on youtube so I can't see it, but I hope he stays with it and makes something worthwhile.

BioAlien
Mon, 08-11-2008, 03:04 PM
It look fun and nice, but, is the game available for download anywhere at all?(And put it on a flashcart for DS)
Or is that just a presentation to say he's been working on a game for 5 years now?

Also, does it make use of Both screen? (Like bottom screen for inventory with touch screen capability)

Jaitne
Mon, 08-11-2008, 03:15 PM
It says he's looking for a publisher, so I don't think it'll be available for download. Don't quote me on that, though :O

Assertn
Mon, 08-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Nope, not available yet. A lot of it is still secret too.

Jaitne
Mon, 08-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Awe. A easier button pushing experience. Brilliant.

Death BOO Z
Mon, 08-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Assertn, if he manages that, then he should be kidnapped to any DS producing company. decent mini map travel is impossible to find.

Archangel
Mon, 08-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Looks pretty good especially for a 1 man job. Too bad he wasted 5 years on the ds, he could have done so much more with the psp.

Is he doing it for fun or does he hope that someone will hire him after seeing it?

Darkshadow below: I'm not saying that the Ds is a bad console, but with all the homebrew and software development around the psp nowadays he could have probably done a better job in less time.

darkshadow
Mon, 08-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Looks pretty good especially for a 1 man job. Too bad he wasted 5 years on the ds, he could have done so much more with the psp.

Is he doing it for fun or does he hope that someone will hire him after seeing it?

keep your bias to yourself, the DS is an excellent platform and he didn't waste anything.

BioAlien
Mon, 08-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Let's not forget that DS homebrew is much easier of access than PSP...
You need a flashcart and... well... that's it... No need to fuck around with firmware and other bullcrap like that just to play homebrew/backup games/etc.. and the risk of bricking your DS with a flashcart is low (pretty much impossible) compared to PSP.

But let's not go there. There's already at least 1 billion threads on the Internet of DS vs PSP so let's not turn this thread into one too.

Do you think your friend could release a small demo or something? (Like 1 pre-made day?)

Assertn
Tue, 08-12-2008, 01:37 AM
He's been discussing the game in more detail here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2927998&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I'm trying to get him to release more vids or something to show actual gameplay, Mayybe he might put up a playable demo, but I wouldn't count on it. He's pretty excited that he's getting some attention though :)

darkshadow
Tue, 08-12-2008, 08:38 PM
seems he got some kotaku exposure, he is now officially famous ;o
http://kotaku.com/5036261/what-15000-hours-of-ds-homebrew-development-looks-like

Assertn
Sat, 09-13-2008, 11:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZf2E_wBvng&fmt=6
New trailer is up. Haha, that Bob is such a card!

Death BOO Z
Sat, 09-13-2008, 12:08 PM
he sure is, great trailer.

So much characters... so much to read.

Assertn
Tue, 03-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Playable demo is up....check it out:
www.bobsgame.com

Nadouku
Tue, 03-31-2009, 09:18 PM
The demo was quite fine. I had some fun playing it. :o

IFHTT
Wed, 04-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Lol, I found the warning screen and subsequent "Licensed by Nintendo" splash screens pretty humorous.

As for the game itself, the dialogue between Yuu and the rest of the family was pretty good. Overall, it wasn't too bad, I wouldn't mind giving the full game a run through.

Lucifus
Wed, 04-01-2009, 12:44 AM
All well and good, definitly something i would spend the time playing through. Humorous intro, but I have a great deal of difficultly seeing Bob's Game getting licensed.....

Would be just depressing beyond words to have 5, 6 years wasted on er without a profit.

Uchiha Barles
Wed, 04-01-2009, 09:02 PM
I don't know that I'd call that a waste even if he doesn't get the game picked up. If he wanted to, he could probably market his skills as a game designer using that as the centerpiece to his portfolio. I hope the game gets licensed though. I'd buy it asap.