PDA

View Full Version : NFL Season 2008-2009

TheBladeChild
Sun, 08-10-2008, 05:55 AM
Well this weekend NFL's preseason began. Though these first few weeks might not matter its still nice to see our favorite team's taking the field. Anyway I thought I jump the gun and start this thread early.

Abdula
Sun, 08-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Its not early at all, what with all the offseason nonsense thats been going on and the Brett Favre saga. Usually I'm not interested in preseason games but the 4 or 5 I've seen so far have been really good.

Speaking of the Favre saga, I gotta say I'm sad to see Chad go, I liked that guy.

Munsu
Sun, 08-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Well he's with the Dolphins now... and with them probably sucking this year again, I'm not sure how much NFL I'll watch. I'll give them a chance early on to see what kind of performance they can have with the new head coach (the last one was a complete idiot) and with Chad.

Abdula
Sun, 08-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Well I'm optimistic about the Dolphins this season and NFL in general. I think it'll take a while for the Dolphins to settle in and get in the groove probably in the latter half of the season and then maybe they could be a real contender next year but I'm optimistic because they couldn't possibly perform any worse than they did last year. Not with all the offseason moves they've made, I expect them to atleast finish at .500

As for the rest of the NFL I'm hoping to see more balance not only within each division but throughout the entire league. Last year we had some great teams and then some horrible teams and there wasn't really any middle ground and then there were the Pats who were in a league of their own. I'm hoping that'll change this year.

masamuneehs
Tue, 08-12-2008, 02:08 AM
i am willing to pay any amount of money necessary to be able to watch the Bills games this year. I can't get satellite installed in my apartment, so I really don't think I'll get to see any of the games at all... but if anyone knows a decent way to get broadcasts (old or live) over the web, let me know.

I'm so sick of hearing about Brett Favre. The guy is a grade A asswipe... but somehow it's hard to dislike him...

I think this year is going to be pretty surprising.

TheBladeChild
Tue, 08-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Well I cant wait to see what the Chargers have up their sleeves this year. Rivers seems fully healed hopefully Gates and Tomlinson will be ready by the start of the regular season too.

Abdula
Wed, 09-03-2008, 07:39 PM
After what has to be one of the craziest offseasons I've ever seen and a preseason laden with injuries(including sadly enough, Osi's season ender), tomorrow it finally begins and I want some Superbowl picks.

This year, I don't know why but I'm thinking it'll be the Chargers, I know that'll make one guy here very happy.

I should also mention that I think Merriman is doing one of the dumbest things I have ever seen.

TheBladeChild
Thu, 09-04-2008, 01:26 AM
<<<The happy one.

Anyway, I cant blame you for thinking that Abdula. But seeing as this is the last year of his contract, this might very well be his last year with the Chargers. After that its all business and hes gonna have to take the best offer financially for him, which might not be the chargers. Who knows where he'll go, but theres a good chance that it wont be a playoff calibur team, so this might be a chance that wont come often to him.

masamuneehs
Fri, 09-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Merriman is gambling. worst case scenario for him is a very bad one, and i still don't think he'd do too poorly if he got the surgery, got released by San Diego, and tried his luck elsewhere. Even after the surgery, someone is going to want him and, really, you're talking about risking running yourself out of the only skill you have for getting a few more million dollars (you already are rich!) .

Jason Peters is still holding out. FUCK. GO BUFFALO!

He can wear Ocho Cinco on the back of his jersey now. I LOVE THAT GUY! He's boisterous, but in a fun-loving way. He doesn't give me that 'It's all about me! ME!' flashiness that TO does. What a prankster.

I shelled out $190 to watch the 16 regular season Buffalo Bills games on my computer, from Japan. Considering that I'd pay at least $15 at the bar/restaurant I'd go to last year to watch the games, plus gas, this is actually much cheaper. Kudos to the NFL on this one.

Also, kudos on getting rid of that horrible 'force out' rule. Fuck that shit. Every call made on that rule last year was suspicious as hell in my eyes.

AFC Breakdown Predictions

AFC East Champ:
New England
Too many weapons on offense (even Maroney), and still one of the best O-lines in the league. The defense isn't bad either. But with their Spy-card out of play, how will the Emperor Palpatine of football manage his team?

Buffalo: Wild card. Good lord, I know we can't afford to shell too much more to J Peters without looking bad for our other, more loyal players... but at some point the talent demands acknowledgement. He plays the toughest and most critical position on the line (offensive or defensive). Edwards is not ready for the big time yet. Special teams and bend-but-don't-break Tampa Cover 2 defense will be the key.

Jets: I don't like Favre at all after reading some more about him in the offseason. The Jets are ready on offense, but I don't know a thing about their defense

Miami: Sticky Icky Ricky makes a push, and Pennington proves to be a good QB on a team that can't afford to be flashy or make mistakes. But the D is a big question mark to me. Still I can see this team helping make the AFC East one of the better divisions again.

AFC North
Steelers: Fast Willie, Mendenhall the Rookie. Why even pass? Oh, and Big Ben can get it done, and their D is nasty.

Cleveland: This defense is the biggest question mark in all of football. If they show up, Braylon Edwards and a dangerous special teams unit make this team a contender for the divison, even to go places in the playoffs. Derek Anderson was a spark last year, but was it a flash in the pan? I don't trust their D.

Bengals: The team with the biggest off-field police blotter are almost as soft on D as they are on their fugitive players. Ocho Cinco makes me smile, but with these players and those uniforms, it's more like a circus than a football team. Dangerous, but not professional.

Ravens: Remember when this team used to fuck people up? They used to not even need a QB! Ray Rice goes from playing at Rutgers to the pros, and McGahee won't make it through the season. A rookie QB, rookie RB, and a rookie coach all in the mix. And in this division, with an ever-aging D? I don't like it.

AFC South
Colts: They have skill players on offense, a great line, and a reasonanbly good D. They play in the hardest division in football. Marvin Harrison is old and slowing down. Dallas Clark is a beast. But it comes down to the best QB in football being on this team, and a coach who hates to make mistakes. I really think that the Jags are a better team, but I can't imagine the AFC South belonging to any other team...

Jaguars: Wild Card. This team is fucking loaded. They're like the Giants from last year, except shakier at QB and in a smaller market. They are a mean team on all sides of the ball. But the lack of WR targets and the QB situation is the problem.

Texans: Yeah, Schaub is that good. This team was very quietly very good last year, and would have made the playoffs in several other divisions. But the D isn't there yet.

Tennessee: I think those two guys who run the football like madmen (and I'm not even talking about Vince Young in this one) might make me regret this prediction very soon. Also, a stingy, stingy defense. But I just don't see things playing out in their favor this year. Just a hunch.

AFC West:
San Diego: LOADED! And their division blows

Denver: Jay cutler is going to be the real thing. He just needs a little more time. Selvin Young can do it, and this team will be in the wild card race.

KC: Ew.

Oakland: Double ew. Some good young talent here, but like sparkling nuggets of gold beneath a mountain of shit.

Playoff picture (though i can't recall who would really play who:
Indy over Buffalo (sorry Bills)
Jags over Steelers (a game like watching giants wrestle)

NE over Indy
San Diego over Jags (wow, I don't know though...)

SD vs NE? Again? I really have this feeling about Jacksonville here though...

Munsu
Fri, 09-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Miami is going to win it all and surprise everyone. I'm not that worried about their defense. I do worry about rookie mistakes defensively, but skill-wise, they should have a fairly good defense with young speed.

Abdula
Fri, 09-05-2008, 11:07 AM
You still hung up on the Dolphins Munsu.

Merriman is gambling. worst case scenario for him is a very bad one, and i still don't think he'd do too poorly if he got the surgery, got released by San Diego, and tried his luck elsewhere. Even after the surgery, someone is going to want him and, really, you're talking about risking running yourself out of the only skill you have for getting a few more million dollars (you already are rich!) .

Really it is so stupid. Even if this is his last year with the Chargers that is no reason to risk a career ending injury. The guy is only 24 years old and as Seau and Bruschi showed if you're good you can play linebacker for a very long time. This is Shawn Merriman we're talking about I'm sure that if he elects to have surgery now and sits the season out the Chargers will give him another shot some time. Even if they don't, like I said its Shawn Merriman there are plenty of other teams in the league who would love to have a Shawn Merriman.

I'm also wondering what makes him think he will be able to perform properly on essentially one good leg, that must be extremely painful and as the season goes on I just don't see him being any good. I'm hoping he is able to perform and nothing worse happens to him but really I think he is just asking for it. Really I'm still wondering why the Chargers are going to let him play, yeah sure they need him and if he can perform it'll be a big help to them but that is no reason to risk the guy's career. They're just making themselves look really bad IMO and if anything happens to him everyone will blame them and rightly so.

Munsu
Sun, 09-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Pennington is looking awful so far.

Abdula
Sun, 09-07-2008, 12:34 PM
I think his receivers are doing a horrible job but yeah the team is looking terrible. How the hell do you kick a nine yard punt.

More importantly it looks like Brady may have gotten a serious injury.

-So the Jets hold out the Dolphins in a game in which it seemed no one wanted to win. Both these teams had their moments but overall they put on horrible performances.

There were some dominant performances today though, most notably the Eagles and the Steelers. The Falcons were pretty good too and at one point all three teams had 21-0 leads. The Eagles were flawless and won the game 38-3. The Steelers too played an incredible game although they let the Texans score 17 useless point in the latter part of the game.

Then we have the two big surprises The Falcons and the Bills. The Falcons were just a complete surprise and got out to a 21-0 lead although I was sure they were going to let the Lions come right back but they won the game 34-21.

Then the Bills who have a 34-10 lead over the Seahawks and I never saw that coming.

Anyway the Dallas-Cleveland game is about to start.

Edit 2: Masa I believe you said something about trusting the Browns defense. Oh and tough break TBC.

rockmanj
Sun, 09-07-2008, 10:01 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-bradyoutforyear090708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

That can't be good for NE...but if you want to try to be positive about things...that's kind of how Brady got his big chance.

TheBladeChild
Mon, 09-08-2008, 06:09 AM
Ugh that last play at the SD game, ruined my day.

Abdula
Mon, 09-08-2008, 10:12 AM
It was a great game though, which is more than I can say about the Colts-Bears game. That was just awful, the offensive line didn't give Manning a clean pocket or much of a pocket at all for the entire game, the defense just wasn't there and those dropped passes didn't help anything either nor did the dropped interception(s). The Colts began the season just the way they ended it last year, this game just look far too similar to that playoff game against the Chargers. This was a strange week.

Gotta give it to the Bears though they played well especially on defense.

rockmanj
Mon, 09-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Well, that's all they do. Their offense is truly horrid, and its been for years, even when we..I mean, they went to the super bowl. That's why I'm an Eagles fan (although I cant say that in my hometown).

masamuneehs
Tue, 09-09-2008, 08:47 AM
fake FG pass (by the punter) for a TD
Punt Return for a touchdown
Fumble Recovery to set up an offensive score
Holding opponent to 3 third down conversions and under 4 yards a play
0 turnovers
1 penalty
Opening week domination, at home, in nasty weather.

I won't lie that my eyes lit up like saucers when I heard Brady went down. But that's not something to be happy about. I'll take a trouncing of a 'division champ' (even if the NFC West is pretty much garbage town)

Other Non-Bills thoughts for week 1
"Oh, Donovan!"

Just wait for Delhomme to get Steve Smith back.

Michael Turner, for one week at least, you are the best accidental fantasy draft pick a man could ever make.
Also, who are these men, and what did they do with that pathetic Atlanta O-line from last year?

I still have hope for the Texans. The Steelers, however, are trying to remind everyone that they are, in fact, the last non New England champion team out of the AFC.

I know it was against the Raiders, but, goddamn Jay Cutler, you so fine!

The Browns D-backs got lit up. And I don't think it was just because they played the Cowboys.

Dah Bears play ball the way I want to have sex with Elisha Cuthbert.

Munsu
Tue, 09-09-2008, 09:08 AM
I think his receivers are doing a horrible job but yeah the team is looking terrible. How the hell do you kick a nine yard punt.

Lol, that punt was mind-boggling. Surely the receivers did a poor job at times, but Chad was awful (especially by the time I wrote my post). His throw wasn't accurate, and he was missing even the easiest of passes.

He was much better in the second half, especially in the 4th quarter. The performance towards the end of the game gave me some hope.

I think the Miami team looks better than I expected. The inexperience is showing a bit, but for being the first game of the season I think they held their own fairly well.

The defense was decent, though they had quite a few rookie mistakes. They have to clean up the pass defense, especially the long ones. Quite a few costly mistakes, two of which led to touchdows.

They need a better balanced attack. They ran the ball few times. Given, Ricky wasn't good... but you have to try and pound it a bit more. I like the shape he's in, so hopefully he'll be better.

python862
Tue, 09-09-2008, 12:26 PM
How about them Broncos? Besides San Diego, with that heartbreaking loss to Carolina of all teams, they've looked the strongest in the AFC West. Of course, it didn't hurt that Oakland was doing NOTHING on offense.

I'll admit that I'm gradually coming around to Cutler, but I still don't trust him enough to be a true fan of his work, though he definitely presented himself well on week one. Selvin Young and Michael Pittman are going to be an awesome tandem this year, and Eddie Royal is looking hot as well.

And last, but certainly not least, I'm sad to see Lynch gone, but all the same, I'm happy to see our defense hold up nonetheless.

All-in-all, I'm definitely seeing Super Bowl potential, but this is only the first week. We'll have to see what they can do next week, when they're going up against a much better team in the Chargers.

Abdula
Tue, 09-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Did you just say Broncos, and whats with this our business. You're in Jersey now, you have an obligation to support at least one NY team, although you're closer to Philly than you are to Giants Stadium but still.

@ Munsu: I was actually routing for them to win so Chad Pennington could get one over on them at the season opener, that would've been priceless and it would've shut alot of people up too. The team just looks really rough around the edges some good coaching and better play calling should fix that right up and with Brady gone they actually have a legitimate shot at the division title. I gotta say it though, that division looks like its the Bills' to win or loose.

Idealistic
Tue, 09-09-2008, 06:58 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-bradyoutforyear090708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

That can't be good for NE...but if you want to try to be positive about things...that's kind of how Brady got his big chance.

But we know Matt Cassel is no Brady. We've seen him play already. Nothing to be positive about. :(

I think the Cowboys have a good chance of taking it this year.... Unless it becomes another upset like last year with the Pats. :(

masamuneehs
Tue, 09-09-2008, 07:11 PM
injury update (why the fuck can't i post anything with line breaks in Firefox?)

Merriman will have the surgery. Out for the year.

The Titans say Vince Young's knee injury isn't that bad, but the coach, Jeff Fisher, asked police to keep an eye out for Young, something about his mental health right now. What the hell? Young's agent, when contacted, got in touch with Vince who said he was at a friend's house watching a game and eating. Clearly you never trust an agent's word, but this is a strange story for sure.

The Cowboys say they're not worried about Marion Barber's rib injury. But I would be. The guy is a mauler, and he SEEKS contact with defensive foes on almost every play. A re-injury that knocks him out makes the Cowboys very one dimensional on offense.

Idealistic
Tue, 09-09-2008, 08:11 PM
^^ Felix Jones looks pretty good though.

masamuneehs
Sun, 09-14-2008, 08:16 AM
Masa's Picks for Week 2

Titans at Bengals:
The Bengals played like crap last week on offense, and that's what that team is all about. Tennessee has issues with Vince Young going emo on them, but there D is solid and they'll run the ball all day on a Cinci team that was weak against that.
Pick: Titans

Steelers at Browns
It's a rivalry game, the Browns don't want to go 0-2, at home, to start the season. But if half that Steelers team from last week shows up again here, they will.
Pick: Steelers

Chargers at Broncos:
Merriman is gone. LT is gimpy. Denver kicked the crap out of the Raiders last week, thought that doesn't say much. LT will have to shoulder the load and Philip Rivers will need to be almost perfect all day, because the Broncos are going to put up points.
Pick: Chargers

Packers at Lions
Big concern here is that the Packers RB, Grant, was a little hurt from last week. But the Lions got their shit pushed in. I don't know enough about the Lions D-backs to pick them in this one.
Pick: Packers

Giants at Rams
The Rams suck. The Giants are still the champs. Next.
Pick: Giants

Raiders at Chiefs
Someone has to win! The Chiefs knocked Brady out last week, but they hung around with a Patriots team that was still tough. But don't all those high draft picks for the Raiders show up eventually?
Pick: Chiefs

Colts at Vikings
These two teams were supposed to be playoff locks going into the season. One of them will be 0-2 to start. I think Peterson goes ballistic and the Vikings D shows up to really put pressure on a hurt Peyton and a fragile Addai
Pick: Vikings

Dolphins at Cardinals
Who cares? Dolphins make it interesting. Everyone learns who Hightower is, and, no not the guy from Police Academy.
Pick: Cardinals

49ers at Seahawks
Seatle got raped by the Bills last week. Who better to return the favor to than the hapless 49ers?
Pick: Seahawks

Falcons at Buccaneers
I don't believe the Falcons are contenders yet. Then again, I can't believe they were all luck and flash last week either. Tampa is a nasty team to play against on the road, whoever their QB is.
Pick: Bucs

Saints at Redskins
Jason Campbell is not the answer. Clinton Portis, however, just might be. The Saints air the ball out a little too much for my liking, and they're down Colston.
Pick: Redskins

Bears at Panthers
Best game of the week that I'm not personally invested in. And by best, I don't mean pretty, because it probably is going to be butt ugly. No Steve Smith, but the Panthers are a threat still. I pick the team with the better D and the extra Special Teams.
Pick: Bears

Ravens at Texans
Texans better win or all my words of praise for them look like fool's verbal diahrea. I'm banking on last week's Baltimore victory being more from the Bengals than the Ravens... But I have a nasty feeling, and I think it's what people feel when they play the Ravens...
Pick: Hurricane Ivan (The game's been postponed until November 9th!)

Pats at Jets
Dunno. I don't have a good feeling about this one. I can't believe New England will seriously be that inept without Brady. They're too good all around. But this is a Jets team that made some huge off-season buys. Flipped a coin. Came up tails.
Pick: Pats

Eagles at Cowboys
Best game of the week, but I like the Eagles alot and despise the Cowboys, so I'm personally invested a little here. I can't pick the Cowboys to win simply because I can't stand them. Donovan, so streaky.
Pick: Eagles

Bills at Jaguars
The Jaguars are nasty. And they lost last week, making them even more nasty. The had a couple injuries on their O-line, and a guy they let go to Buffalo last year (Marcus Stroud) will lead the battle in the trenches. If the battle up front on D goes Buffalo's way, Paul Pos and Mitchell will need to limit Garrard's mobility and check-down options. The Bills are very simple on offense, no big risks, no turnovers. Special teams is a third of the game for a reason. It could be the tipping point in this one if the battle of the lines is a stalemate. The Bills must stop the run. Wear down the other team with their own running attack. Control the clock. Protect the football.
Pick: Bills. Always!

Abdula
Mon, 09-15-2008, 11:37 AM
If week one was The Upsets, then week two is definitely The Comebacks. Talk about some crazy games. That Colts and Chargers games in particular.

I could have cried in the beginning of that Colts game. The miscues, the blown coverages, the dropped passes, the missed tackles, the bad angles, the unblocked pass rushers. It was just horrible. The only thing that kept my hope up was the fact that although the Colts D was bending and I mean bending over backwards here, they weren't broken. Meaning they didn't give up any touchdowns and kept the Colts in the game and the Colts being the Colts, if you let them hang around for long enough you'll come to regret it.

So it was only a two score game and well you know the rest. You would think teams would have learned by now that you can't beat a team like the Colts if you can't score a single touchdown.

Then we have the Chargers, man oh man what to say about the Chargers. Losing like that two weeks in a row has just got to be devastating and I still can't believe it happened. They got the freak fumble and had the game in the bag but the old inadvertent whistle struck again and gave the Broncos the ball back. Next thing you know know they get a touchdown and instead of going for the tie they go for two and get it and I was just sitting there with my mouth open for about an entire minute.

All I can say is, no one tell the Chargers they're an 0-2 team.

-Oh yeah Eagles-Cowboys tonight. That should be great. Go Eagles.

masamuneehs
Mon, 09-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Things I think about week 2:

Seattle, Jacksonville and San Diego (and almost Indy, whew Peyton) are all 0-2. Chargers got robbed for sure, but I don't think anyone would have picked this start for these three.

David Gerrard is getting alot of unfair flack about the interception he threw against the Bills just before half time, in a game where if they'd made the field goal, they'd have probably won. Did nobody else see Marcus Stroud tip the ball at the line of scrimmage?

The Bills won a gritty one. Second year in a row backup RB Fred Jackson has played his heart out in a game down in Jacksonville. I think he thinks the town is named after him.

Steelers are a powerhouse. Broncos too. If Kerry Collins keeps this up for the Titans, those three might be the teams to beat in the AFC.

I'm so goddamn sick of reading about the Patriots. They're just one team.

Tampa Bay defense absolutely destroyed Matt Ryan. Good lord.

The Bengals are dead. You can't win if you can't run the ball.

Kitna is a wild, wild, crazy man. Too wild, actually.

Abdula
Mon, 09-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Well the Cowboys win a crazy one. That is by far the hottest division in the entire league. Its going to be fun to watch. Um Jackson is doing an unbelievable job, but next time just remember to cross the goal line before you throw away the ball.:rolleyes:

David Gerrard is getting alot of unfair flack about the interception he threw against the Bills just before half time, in a game where if they'd made the field goal, they'd have probably won. Did nobody else see Marcus Stroud tip the ball at the line of scrimmage? Oh they saw, but the team is 0-2 and they need someone to put the blame on and in a situation like that the first one you point the figure at is the QB. I think the fact that he threw so few interceptions last year has alot to do with it but that team just doesn't look like the same team that made the playoffs last year.

The Bills won a gritty one. Second year in a row backup RB Fred Jackson has played his heart out in a game down in Jacksonville. I think he thinks the town is named after him. Lol thats hilarious.

Steelers are a powerhouse. Broncos too. If Kerry Collins keeps this up for the Titans, those three might be the teams to beat in the AFC. Can't argue with this at all. The AFC is completely unpredictable.

I'm so goddamn sick of reading about the Patriots. They're just one team.
Exactly. It really annoys me when the entire league, or atleast everyone in the media gets hung up on one team and even more so one player. Favre:mad:

Tampa Bay defense absolutely destroyed Matt Ryan. Good lord. Well he had it too easy last week so they decided to give him a proper welcome. "Hi, This is the NFL."

The Bengals are dead. You can't win if you can't run the ball. Running the ball is the least of their problems.

Kitna is a wild, wild, crazy man. Too wild, actually. I like that guy. He's entertaining.

masamuneehs
Tue, 09-16-2008, 08:23 AM
i couldn't disagree with you more about the Bengals problem. They've always been a team that's simply relied on their passing game to put up big numbers. Their defense, while never being close to great, has usually been enough to keep the team fairly competitive.

But when you have no running attack, almost none at all, it's too easy for the defense to just gear their entire defensive gameplan to blitzing your QB and shutting down your two high profile receivers. It hasn't helped that the Bengals receivers and Carson Palmer have been off in the these past two games, but these problems stem from the fact that they have to do everything for that offense. That's a formula that is never going to work, unless you play the Browns all year long.

just as teams that only run the ball (Vikings) are usually too one-dimensional to lead their team to greatness, teams that pass the ball all the time, especially for the big play, rely too much on one aspect of the game. all it takes is a moderately talented and well coached defensive secondary to check that.

and, yeah, the NFC East is still a real powerhouse. I can't see how the NFC champ can't come out of that division... unless Minnesota pulls their shit together or Carolina continues to play some serious kick-ass football.

Abdula
Tue, 09-16-2008, 10:22 AM
I agree with you that teams who are one dimensional, no matter how they excel in that one dimension, aren't going to win games. I just think having a running game isn't going to make the difference for the Bengals. First off all who is going to run the ball, its not as if they have an Adrian Peterson or LT in their backfield and sure if they have a good running game it'll help them stay on the field and keep their defense off but doing just that isn't going to be enough.

They are going to need to put up points and even if they do get a running game going I don't see their running game being good enough to put up points because who are they going to run the ball on, the Browns. Just look at their schedule, next week they have the Giants, then the Browns, then the Cowboys not to mention the fact that they have the Steelers and the Ravens in their own division.

At this point, the Bengals are dead last in the league in pass offense, 31st in total offense (the only team worse than they are is the Rams) and they are 30th in points per game and 30th in rush defense. Even if the Bengals manage to fix some of their problems, they have to face the Giants, the Cowboys, the Colts, the Eagles and they still have their 2 divisional games against the Steelers.

I just don't see the Bengals doing anything this year.

masamuneehs
Sat, 09-20-2008, 07:40 AM
come on do it now
break it down
come on
break
it
down

Week 3

Atlanta Falcons at Kansas City
KC sends its third starter in 3 weeks. Dwayne Bowe is the best wideout in the NFL with noone to throw him the ball. KC's only close game was barely almost hanging with a Patriots team that had suddenly lost their QB. Last week Tampa Bay did to Matt Ryan what the veteran inmates in federal prison do to the new guy. Don't think that Falcons team, at home, isn't looking to return the favor on someone else
Pick: Falcons 28 KC 17

Cincinnati Bengals at NY Giants
The Bengals are not this terrible. They're bad, and they'll lose this week to the Giants and possibly make Marv Lewis the first coach to get the boot this year, but they're not that bad. One of these weeks they're going to turn around and beat the shit out of someone. But not this week.
Pick: NYG 21 - Bengals 10

Houston Texans at Tennessee Titans
Coming off an impromptu bye week, and their home region in shambles, I'd normally pick the Texans as a 'team with heart winning a gritty one'. But they're playing Tennessee, and Kerry Collins is playing at twice the level that this team needs their offense to play at in order to win games. The Titans have got to be thinking that they can take their division this year.
Pick: Titans 17 Houston 14

Miami Dolphins at New England Patriots
I have not seen the Dolphins play since they got positively reamed by Tom Moss in Miami last year. Part of me thinks no team in the NFL, especially a team once as proud as Miami, can have the year they did and turn out to be just as terrible next season. But then I look at the Rams and KC and other teams turning into perennial losers, and I count these Dolphins among their ranks. Another part of me wants to pick them just on the awesome outpour of money that would come my way should they pull a miracle out their hats and win this one... or at least cover the spread...
Pick: New England 26 Dolphins 10

Tampa Bay Bucanners at Chicago Bears
Dah Bears. Dah Bears. Dah Bears. Dah Bears. Dah Bears. Dah Bulls. Dah- wait- no Hester? Matt Forte makes it not even matter. Kyle Orton is their QB? Tampa Bay plays ball like they're in a Spike Lee joint. Still, that Bears D. Dah D. Dah D. Dah Bears.
Pick: Dah Bears 13 - Dah Bucs 10

Arizona Cardinals at Washington Redskins
Time to find out which of these teams is for real, and which is just pretending. Actually, I have a feeling that the Cardinals offense is for real, the Redskins D is pretending, the Cardinanls D is pretending, and everyone on the Redskins offense not named Campbell are for real. The problem? That guy named Campbell is their QB. He's Tavaris Jackson lite. If they had a top level RB like Adrian on their squad, and a slightly stingier D, you'd be hearing about Zorn being under pressure to get Campbell out of town instead of this whole 'Bench Tavaris' thing. Oh yeah, the game. I actually have no clue.
Pick: Cardinals 31 - Redskins 17 (but it probably won't be nearly that lopsided)

Carolina Panthers at Minnesota Vikings
If I could watch one other game simultaneously with the Bills game this week, it would be this 1 o'clock start. Steve Smith is back. Gus Ferrrote is back. ADRIAAAAAAAAAN might not play. This could show us alot about two very important teams in the NFC. I have this nasty feeling in the pit of my stomach that the Vikings D finally takes offense to everyone being so focused on their offense and make Delhomme turn in an offensive first half. Panthers light it up against them in the second to make it a ball game, but Gus Ferrotte makes enough small hits and and firsts to burn the clock.
Pick: Vikings 20 - Panthers 17

New Orleans Saints at Denver Broncos
Who dat gonna gonna beat dah Saint? Dat be Jay Cutler, the best young QB in the league. Also, Shanahan is a great coach, and they can still pound the rock with speedy Selvin Young. This game is the Broncos' in so many ways.
Pick: Broncos 34 - Saints 21

Detroit Lions at San Francisco 49ers
This game will win many men the week in fantasy football. It's being advertised as a barn-burner between two teams that can put up big points and practically give an armored escort bound for the endzone to their opponents. However, it's about as irrelevant as any game ever, because both these teams are irrelvant.
Pick: It doesn't matter, you might as well spend the extra time on your lawn.

Saint Louis Rams at Seattle Seahawks.
Gosh. Both of them are 0-2. Do you want to take the "new suckage" or the "old suckage" ? I'm taking the team with home field advantage. Even though they did lost to the 49ers last week.
Pick: Seahawks 20 Rams 10

Pittsburgh Steelers at Phladelphia Eagles
The Eagles draw another tough one. This is exactly the kind of game that I have nightmares about McNabb going down with another season ender in. Big Ben's hurting too. Westbrook gives everyone nightmares. He is the best all around player in the NFL today. He can beat any three men on defense on any given play. Too bad the defense fields 11, and that it's the Pittsburgh defense. Philly anyway.
Pick: Eagles 26 - Steelers 21

Cleveland Browns at Baltimore Ravens
There is another thing that is the color of the Cleveland team. And that's more what they'll resemble playing a rested and confident defensive unit, at home. Over 2/3 of the world is covered in ocean. The rest is covered by Ed Reed.
Pick: Ravens 17 Browns 15

Jacksonville Jaguars at Indianapolis Colts
Peyton Manning wowed everyone last week. That guy named Reggie Wayne isn't too bad either. Addai isn't enough, and Marvin Harrison will be the key factor in this one. The Jags need to get their house in order. And by house, I don't mean financial institution. I mean their line.
Pick: Colts 13 Jaguars 7

Dallas Cowboys at Green Bay Packers
I'm not going to watch it. I don't care that it's the best game of the week by far. Whatever happens will be sure to draw more coverage than Love Canal.
Pick: Cowboys 31 - Packers 28

NY Jets at San Diego Chargers
Oh my, that San Diego team must be very, very, very, very angry right about now. The Jets defense will make this a closer one than it is, but even if LT doesn't play, I can't possibly see the Chargers fall to 0-3. And if they do, all of those guys might as well just pack up their bags and go work on their golf game.
Pick: Chargers 20 - Jets 9

edit - you may notice I'm leaving a game out of this breakdown. That's because a post i'd make on it would be just as long as this whole thing already is. And all that matters is that they play mistake-free football. That's it. No mistakes, no regrets. 3-0. Let's go Buffalo!

Munsu
Sun, 09-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Dolphins killed the Patriots.

Take that Bellichek.

TheBladeChild
Mon, 09-29-2008, 11:09 PM
One word to describe the Chargers win over the Raiders: GLORIOUS

Abdula
Tue, 09-30-2008, 12:21 AM
I found it strange that no one had posted anything about week 4 yet. TBC it was against the raiders so a loss would have really been unacceptable and since their next 2 opponents are the Dolphins and the Patriots, they could easily be looking at 4-2 before they have to square off against the Bills.

Speaking off the Bills anyone got any thoughts as to which of the now 3 undefeated teams will be the first one to have a loss hung on them or more importantly which on would be the last one standing. Or which of the 4 winless teams will be the first one to get a win.

Of the still undefeated teams I think the Bills are the only ones who are for real, I've thought that since week 2 and I think any team in league would have a very hard time beating them. The team I think would be the first one to lose, sadly enough, is the Giants but looking at their schedules both the Bills and the Titans have tough games coming up and I think the Titans will have some trouble with the Ravens who should be angry after tonight's loss.

Of the losers, oh boy this is difficult . I wanna say the Bengals but again looking at the schedules its @Dallas @NY and then a home game against the Steelers. As a matter of fact none of these teams have easy schedules and the first win from this group will probably not come till week 7, Texans hosting the Lions. That being the case then I'll probably go with Kitna and the Lions.

Oh, I so loved the fact that the Redskins beat the Cowboys. Really I so enjoyed that game because the Cowboys just get on my nerves. I suppose I gotta comment on the Jets game because that was the wildest game this week or perhaps weird is a better word to use. I still can't believe Favre threw for 6 touchdowns. They too could be looking to string a couple wins together since their next two games are against The Bengals and The Raiders.

Games I'm looking forward to next week:

Chargers-Dolphins, Chargers are getting their shit together and I want to see what game plan the Dolphins came up with during their bye week.

Falcons-Packers. This game could be very interesting especially if Rogers doesn't start.

Redskins-Eagles. Jason Campbell played a great game against the Cowboys and Philly has been kinda up and down lately not to mention the fact that they are really banged up.

There are the two Manning games Seahawks-Giants, Colts-Texans even though I don't think either of these games will be interesting I'm gonna at least try and follow them.

There is the Bills-Cardinals game. Then there is Steelers-Jaguars which I think is a complete toss up and the Monday night game Vikings-Saints. More AP is always a good thing, QB is a question mark I don't really care for either of them and then there are the Saints. Gotta love them Saints.

Anyway more good games to come.

masamuneehs
Tue, 09-30-2008, 07:38 AM
i was gearing up for a 'First Quarter Analysis', but, some really good thoughts. I can especially empathize with the 'yay the Cowboys lost' and about a win over Oakland. However, I have to disagree with you about the winless and the undefeated...

Let me start with the NFC since I never got around to talking about them pre-season.

NFC East: The best division, bar none. It seems to be a crying shame that at least one of these four teams will have to miss the playoffs while mucks from the NFC West and North get in...

Giants: The Giants are keeping everything rolling. They look just as strong as they did at the end of last year, even with some key losses to the D. Their running attack is vicious, and I'm sick that I didn't pick up their quick RB Bradshaw in fantasy league... The secondary might still give up a few games in shootouts.
Currently: 3-0. Prediction: 11-5

Redskins: Looks like they're putting their weak one drubbing behind them. Clinton Portis isn't done yet, and Jason Campbell is maturing (helps that he has some awesome weapons to throw to). The defense is upper middle level, but enough.
Currently: 3-1 Prediction: 9-7

Cowboys: The "team with the most talent" is certainly not the best team. That's because talent is an individual trait, and football is a team game. Romo is reckless with the football, and he reminds me a lot of Jon Kitna, a type of less-successful Favre type slinger. Marion Barber is the player I most admire on this team. The defense seems to be all sorts of hit or miss.
Currently: 3-1 Prediction: 10-6

Philadelphia
I try not to think about who has to lose to who in this division when I do the predictions here, because it feels like Philly would never lose to any of these teams (yet they do). They need Westbrook back, but Jim Johnson (my favorite D coordinator in the NFL) remains the reason why this team is still in it. Did you see what happened to Pittsburgh?
Currently: 2-2 Prediction: 9-7

NFC North- This division is not great at all. The Vikings look one dimensional AND their secondary is burnable, the Packers have been struggling even before Rodgers got hurt (and what happened to Ryan Grant? sitting on that big off-season deal he got?) and the Bears are the Vikings with a better D and an even worse offense. The Lions are garbage.

Packers - If Aaron Rodgers is hurt for a while, the press is never going to stop harping on them for not keeping Favre around. The run game is where they're hurting. Greg Jennings is a mother fucking beast. The D is okay, but nothing spectacular. This team must love that playoffs are played when it's cold out.
Currently: 2-2 Prediction: 9-7

Bears: Kyle Orton. Ew. Matt Forte has been great for them so far, but what if something happens to him? (Or, a better question, what happens when a team figures out a formula to stop him?) Urlacher is the king of linebackers, but this team needs superb special teams to make up for their lack of pop. Hester can't come back soon enough.
Currently: 2-2 Prediction: 10-6

Vikings: Remember when this team was picked to go to the Super Bowl by some? Their D looks awfully suspect against the long ball now, and 8 men in the box can stop almost any running threat. This team is one piece away from solving the puzzle.
Currently: 1-3 Prediction: 8-8

Lions: This team is not worth the time it takes to write about them.
Currently: 0-3 Prediction: 2-14

NFC South - This is actually a fairly good division, with all teams on the rise, except for maybe the Saints who peaked two years ago. I expect TB to push for a wild card spot from one of the NFC East teams. (if they don't win the division, which i think they do)

Carolina Panthers - Mushin Muhammed has been revived like Lazarus, they can grind out brutal run plays, Delhomme knows this unit like the back of his hand. The D can play ball too, but maybe not enough...

Buccaneers - This team amazes me every week. They make a guy like Brian Griese look like a golden god one week, then completely destroy teams with their D the next, then fall flat the third. What's up? What's real? I say it's the second, or they're not getting out of the first round.

Saints - Offense offense offense. Wait, there are two other parts to this game? If this team were a professional boxer, he'd have the meanest right ever but absolutely no guard or opener because of his left would be like a baby's.
Currently: 2-2 Prediction: 8-8

Atlanta - They're just not ready yet. They're also not one of the worst teams anymore, but mediocrity is a bitch of a place to be in Atlanta. Matt Ryan's growing pains continue, Turner keeps them relevant, a revitalized D keeps them in ball games that they'd have been blown out of last year.
Currently: 2-2 Prediction: 6-10

NFC West - This entire division is garbage, except for maybe the Cardinals. And I can't believe THAT's the most positive thing I have to say about this division.

Cardinals - Kurt Warner is having a damn good thing going when he can hold on to the rock. This offense is good, and the D has alot of talent, fast talent. They can make plays. But they have always seemed to always stop at 'can' and never proceed to 'do'. I think they smell the playoffs, but that's about it, at best.
Current: 2-2 Prediction: 8-8

49ers - A team starts with a shit wreck of a 1st pick (Ryan Leaf-esque) and keeps itself around. yeah, because the division is a complete stink house. The D is too soft on the run and not talented enough to shut down constant small dinks and dunks. Somewhere out there exists several blitz packages to shut O'Sullivan down.
Currently: 2-2 Prediction: 7-9

Seahawks - Bad way to go for Mike, a guy I never liked. I also don't like Hasselback, but I feel for the guy with almost nobody around him and a line starting to look like the original Texans. This guy used to be somebody! He also used to have a guy named Shaun Alexander who won an MVP award once.
Currently: 1-2 Prediction: 7-9

Rams - This team is baaaaaaaaad! This year's '07 Dolphins.
Current: 0-4 Prediction: 2-14

Abdula
Tue, 09-30-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm trying to find something to disagree with just for arguments sake but I can't. I could try and argue that there is no way both the Lions and the Rams will get 2 wins but its not worth the time.

Instead I'll go back over to the AFC and talk about the Broncos. Some people are calling the Broncos loss to KC an upset and were even comparing the Broncos to last years Patriots and I think that is just plain ridiculous. Sure their high powered offense can put up points but they are nothing like last years Patriots. They don't have the play makers the Patriots had last year and most importantly they don't have Bill Belichick and the Pats D. How can this have been an upset when prior to their KC game the Broncos have been giving up at least 32 points a game. I mean how do you expect to win when your defense can't stop anybody, it doesn't matter how high powered your offense is they won't be able to keep it up forever.

python862
Tue, 09-30-2008, 02:59 PM
I was sure upset, but I do agree with you; the Broncs' D needs some major retooling. That was an ugly game, and one I wish to forget about next Sunday.

As for the rest of the league, I'm really not paying all that much attention, but I will say grats to the Jets - excuse me - Favre, for those five touchdowns. Now that's a fantastic performance. And on the other hand, you got Rodgers, who's probably going to be out for the next week or two, who'll still probably be reeling from all those picks he threw.

masamuneehs
Fri, 10-03-2008, 11:15 AM
AFC First Quarter Review

AFC East - Once the toughest division in football, this division was so lopsided last year it was almost painful. Now everything's topsy-turvy again, and even the Dolphins can play some decent football.

Buffalo Bills - Good sweet lord. They're 4-0, but the games against the Raiders and Rams were horrific to watch for the majority of both. Better teams don't relinquish those leads to the Bills. But the Bills play smart and they play tough, and it doesn't hurt that they have very good players on all sides of the ball and coming off the sidelines. But because of a weird schedule, they don't play a division opponent until Week 7. That's the test. I feel confident that they're going to the playoffs. The collapse would have to be epic.
Currently: 4-0 Prediction: 11-5

New England - It's not not having Tom Brady. It's Sam Cassell. The Pats have tons of weapons, an excellent defense, and they should still be a very good team, even after that trouncing by Miami. But when the QB is a nobody, using those weapons becomes that much harder, and it wears out the defense. They're still contenders.
Currently: 2-1 Prediction: 10-6

Jets - Favre Favre Favre. He can light it up. They have some excellent receivers, but the running game isn't there, and that's going to cost them in the end. They spent so much money in the off-season it'd be a crime if they weren't this much improved. Mangini's "genius" is completely overrated. He only is called that because the media assumes any non-player who can coach must be some kind of Stephen Hawking.
Currently: 2-2 Prediction: 8-8

Miami Dolphins - Gee, Chad Pennington, really? That offense isn't great, despite that Wildcat game. They play good ball on special teams. The good news is that the D looks pretty sharp. In another division these guys are contenders.
currently: 1-2 Prediction: 6-10

AFC North - This division is smash-mouth nasty at the top and cream-puff weak on the bottom. A complete Jekyl and Hyde deal. I only see one team in it that can last through the year.

Steelers - They play the Ravens next week, and it's going to be something. In their one loss, they got man-handled on offense. Big Ben is banged up, they're on their 3rd or 4th string RB (this is the Pittsburgh Steelers, remember, so that really means something) and one of their big O-linemen is out for the year too. They play the toughest schedule in the NFL this year. That sucks. The defense keeps them relevant.
Currently: 3-1 Prediction: 8-8

Ravens - Two thirds of the world is covered by water. The rest is covered by Ed Reed. Seriously, this defense is the nasty. They even have a murderer as their leader. The offense has never been spectacular, even when McNair wasn't on the down, and McGahee has got to stay healthy for them to keep putting up enough points and, more importantly, keeping the D rested. Joe Flacco is doing it. But there's going to be growing pains. This is the NFL.
Currently: 2-1 Prediction: 10-6

Browns - Derek Anderson was a fluke. Their terrible defense was not. Get Brady Quinn in there and start rebuilding. Joshua Cribbs is their best player (he returns kicks).
Currently: 1-3 Prediction: 5-11

Cincinnati: - Boy, they aren't this bad, are they? I still think they can out-gun teams down the stretch (if Carson Palmer can stay healthy), and the D is bad, but not super bad. Still, I have no idea how Marvin Lewis still has a job. This team has serious issues, starting at the owner, Paul Brown.
Currently: 0-4 Prediction: 4-12

AFC South - The best division in the AFC all around, I still believe.
Tennessee - They're 4-0 and I think they have the best chance to stay undefeated the longest. They are absurdly hard hitting and fly to the ball on D. Collins has been resurected. That rookie RB is the real deal. Albert Haynseworth might be the best NFL player to ever step on a downed opponent's unprotected head. I smell Super Bowl.
Currently: 4-0 Prediction: 12-4

Jaguars - They started off slow, and they don't have it easy. But they are a complete team on all three aspects of the game, and most of their guys have been together for a very long time. It's the injuries to the O-line that concern me the most. I think they have too much talent and guts to just stay .500.

Indianapolis - You have to stop the run. You have to. The protection for Peyton is lacking at times, and, worse, Addai sometimes becomes a non-factor for entire games. One man cannot win you every game, especially with Marvin Harrison slowing down and Dallas Clark still banged up. The best days certainly seem to be behind them.
Currently: 1-2 Prediction: 7-9

Houston - Boy, I thought they were better than this. I still feel that way. But, man, Matt Schaub isn't looking good, is he? they need to get the ball to Kevin Walter more, take some of the focus off of Andre Johnson so he can, you know, get open. The secondary seems to be the problem on defense. I really can't tell ya. They're the best winless team, by far.
Currently: 0-3 Prediction: 6-10

AFC West - Poor management of some spectacular players out in Oakland and a joke of a QB crew in KC make this division weak when it should be excellent. Denver has got to buckle down on D. Refs can't win you all the games.
Broncos - Things went their way in some absurdly offensive shoot-outs, and then they got brutalized by Larry Johnson and the KC running game. Worse, either Damon Huard or Nobody Thigpen threw the ball effectively enough to keep the ball out of the hands of their explosive offensne. That's a very bad sign. Cutler and the O can really light up that scoreboard though.

Chargers - They are good enough and should be in first place in this division. They will go to the play-offs. Too much talent on offense not to, and the D is good even without Merriman. They've given up way too many points, but I think that'll change. Too much energy not to. When the breaks start going their way some more, they'll be a killer.

Chiefs - Dwayne Bowe, you are so good it's amazing. Tony Gonzalez saved a man's life during the off season, but he's so upset with KC that he's thinking of leaving them for dead. I don't know much about their D at all, but almost 25 points given per game is bad. But they showed last week that they're not one of those bottom-tier teams. More like mediocre. The Falcons of the AFC.
Currently: 1-3 Prediction: 6-10

Oakland - god this team is so talented and fucked up at the same time it reminds me of Rain Man (and all those other movies about retards with special skills). They play hard and, if they can learn not to rest on their lead (that Prevent defense they run is appalling and the first thing their new coach should do is throw that shit out the window, it lost them the game against Buffalo and then they did the same thing again and look what happened with the Chargers...) But they do have talent, because they really could have won all the games they've played. I think the coaching change was a bad move.
Currently: 1-3 Prediction: 6-10

Abdula
Mon, 10-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Damn. Don't the Giants make it look easy, they got points on every one of their first six possessions. People talk about depth and everyone knows about the interchangeable parts on the G men defense but when even your 6th string WR is making catches and in the 4th qtr, your back up QB and 3rd string RB can come in the game and march down the field for a TD, thats depth.

Ah the Colts, you know why you can never count out the Colts because even if they look horrible at times all the parts are still there, they're just not clicking. But when they start clicking they can score 21 points in 2 minutes and 10 seconds. Poor Houston though.

Titans-Ravens. What a great game, low scoring and very very hard hitting. The Titans should not be 5-0 though, some bad calls cost the Ravens the game. There have been alot of those lately.

There are the Chiefs, the Rams, the Bengals and the Browns. But none of them are as bad as the Lions, well maybe the Browns. The Lions defense is dead last in the league, none of them seem to know how to tackle and John Kitna was throwing to invisible receivers. I'm not putting it all on Kitna though I think the guy is a capable QB and last year the only reason they won any games was because he took the team on his shoulders. But seriously no QB can be expected to throw the ball properly when they get hit that much, even when there are people wide open he can't get the ball to them because he is scared of getting hit. No I'm not saying he is a coward, in fact I would say he is the bravest QB in the league because every time he steps out on the field its like going 12 rounds in a heavyweight bout. I'm just saying the guy can't perform properly because he is always hearing footsteps.

I believe in Atlanta. Sure they are not the best team in the league but like they themselves said, they are just learning how to win.

The Dolphins are at .500 for the first time in 3 years people, thats big. Their defense is playing well and Ronnie Brown and the offense know how to score points. I think the person who is being overlooked in all of this is Chad Pennington whose passer rating was above 100 in the last two games. He is used to being overlooked though but I like the guy so I had to mention him. Hope they can stay at or above .500 but they've got some tough games coming up. I so want to see that guy beat the Jets but they're not playing them again until week 17.

Uh Chargers? This team should be 4-1 really they should. I can tell you one of the things wrong with them though, they have no running game as unbelievable as that is but when LT only has 35 yards rushing something is very very wrong.

The NFC east, what a division. Looks like the Eagles may be the victim though, and its gonna be hard to catch up in that division especially with a gimpy Westbrook.

Denver-Tampa Bay was another good game as was Steelers-Jaguars and so was the Bengals-Cowboys game. The Bengals are perhaps the strangest of the no win teams. They are always competitive and they come close to winning but never seem to have what it takes to put them over the top.

Abdula
Tue, 10-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Uh, you know this thread really should have more posts. Anyway one got to say about the 49ers firing Nolan and Singletary taking over? I've never been a fan of mid-season coaching changes.

masamuneehs
Tue, 10-21-2008, 07:53 PM
the 49ers are terrible because they let Nolan have so much power over their personnel decisions. A coach acting like a GM is generally a bad idea. He's the reason for the Alex Smith debacle (which, granted, could have happened to everyone) and the team's current lack of talent.

Also, look at what the coaching change down in Saint Louis has done so far. Sure, it's only two games, but that's a team that looked like they'd never win a game for the first part of the year. And they did not just beat Dallas, they bitch slapped them.

Cinnci needs to do the same thing.

There was a pre-game coverage of the Buffalo Bills and Chargers game (before the power outage that made only about 1/3 of the game visible). The main guy in the NFL Network studio talked about San Diego for a minute and a half, then, as an apparent 'throw' to one of the other commentators, asked, "But what about Buffalo?" Instead of answering this question, the other commentator made a joke about one of the silly lines the guy had used in his hype of the Chargers and continued to talk about them. What's more, after about two seconds a highlight reel of Chargers stuff (with music) came on the screen to accompany his drivel. This suggested, to me, that even though they had the one guy ask "What about Buffalo?" at the halfway mark of their coverage on it, they never intended to actually talk about them at all, which, basically, is how the media has covered Buffalo since the end of the mid 90s. In the end, the third commentator spoke about Buffalo for about 30 seconds before the segment was over.

The game? Played without headsets, game clock, replay and broadcast. The result? A 23-14 Buffalo victory. Granted, you think San Diego plays a little sharper if they don't have to fly east and deal with the jet lag, but they didn't touch Trent Edwards all day, and that put their defensive backs in an impossible position.

The Lions are so bad it's terrible. The Cowboys are finally back down to earth and everyone's still talking about them. The Cardinals might be for real. The Titans and Giants are still, very quietly, the teams to beat. Injuries continue to mount around the league. The NFC South is more than respectable once again. The Broncos pass defense is the pits.

Munsu
Sun, 10-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Suck it Buffalo... you can't handle the 'Fins.

masamuneehs
Sun, 10-26-2008, 03:43 PM
let's see what happens next time...

bad day for the Bills to start coughing up the ball. All the other AFC East teams won...

Abdula
Sun, 10-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Haha, you two are funny. I'm angry the Jets won, really pissed me off because they didn't deserve to win. Their game plan sucked, Favre threw three interceptions and I'm not talking about tipped balls here, he literally threw the ball into defenders and he had another 2 interceptions dropped but the KC offense still couldn't do enough even though Thigpen played a great game. KC had three consecutive 3 and outs in the second half and that along with those two dropped interceptions made the difference. Oh and there is the fact that the refs were clearly wearing green and white. There were three times when there was clear pass interference but it wasn't called including KC's last play of the game.

There were some other great early games too but the Giants are playing so........

Munsu
Mon, 11-17-2008, 11:54 PM
What's going on with the Bills?

Dolphins just got the Wild Card lead right?

masamuneehs
Tue, 11-18-2008, 10:18 AM
i believe there's currently a four way tie at 6-4 for the two wild card spots. Miami, New England and Baltimore and Indy.

The Bills issues are mostly in the secondary, and Edwards having some really troubling hesitation with making his throws. I'm just hoping to watch some good football down the stretch at this point.

Abdula
Sun, 12-07-2008, 08:07 PM
That Pittsburgh-Dallas game was awesome.

Munsu
Mon, 12-08-2008, 12:36 PM
That Pittsburgh-Dallas game was awesome.
And so was the destruction of the Buffalo Bills.

Three way tie for the division lead. Baltimore has to start losing.

Abdula
Mon, 12-08-2008, 01:10 PM
No the Bills game wasn't awesome. Miami did what they did but that game was anything but awesome, the Bills are just terrible. Speaking of Miami they were my pick to win the division after Brady went down and it looks like they really have a legitimate shot at it. Looks like that Jets-Dolphins game in week 17 will be about alot more than just CP trying to stick it to his old team. I don't believe in the Jets and after cutting CP I fully believe that they deserve to come in last place in the division but thats just because I really like Chad.

Gotta love them Ravens. Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Joe Flacco, Willis McGahee, Ray Rice, Derrick Msaon, now thats a team. I want them to make the playoffs but they have to play the Steelers and the Cowboys. I would say that they have to beat Pittsburgh and win the division to make the playoffs because with the Jets, the Pats and the Dolphins at 8-5 we don't know who will get that last wild card spot, but I really can't take the Ravens over the Steelers. I just don't see that happening, because you can't run the ball 11 straight times and then just call a play action pass for a TD against the Steelers D.

The game tonight should be a good one too but I think Gruden and his boys will get the W.