PDA

View Full Version : Eve no Jikan: Time of Eve

Munsu
Sun, 08-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Here's the first episode by pireze:
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=27120

Seems like this is a series that'll be airing in the web, and 6 episodes long.

In the near future, probably in Japan, it is long after robots are come into practical use and not so long after human-type robots, or androids appeared.

Because of Robot Ethical Committee, people take it for granted that they should treat them as electronic appliances. However, because of their appearances being identical to ours except their having rings on their heads, some people are attracted by them too much. They are called as “Doll-Style” and it becomes a social problem.

Because Rikuo has been taught to treat them as such since he was a child, he doesn’t think of androids as human beings, and he uses them as useful tools. One day, he finds that strange words are being recorded in the activity log of Sammy, a home android.

Tracing her footprints with his friend Masaki, they arrive at a strange shop that puts up a slogan not to discriminate between human beings and androids.

http://timeofeve.com/
http://www.studio-rikka.com/eve/
http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,4023,gqeoox,eve_no_jikan.html
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=5132
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=7998

shinta|hikari
Thu, 08-07-2008, 05:32 AM
Episode 1 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=27120)

I just watched this show, and I think it is quite awesome. It is like a darker Chobits, with more emphasis on the discrimination against machines, and this time, it is not restricted to one "special" case.

I hope people pick up this show, even if the running time is a bit short a 15 minutes.

Jaitne
Thu, 08-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Ooh. I think I could start watching this one <.<

I've never really watched Chobits, but it sounds interesting. The way the little summary goes on, it seems like it could be sort of like Blade Runner.

Munsu
Thu, 08-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Episode 1 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=27120)

I just watched this show, and I think it is quite awesome. It is like a darker Chobits, with more emphasis on the discrimination against machines, and this time, it is not restricted to one "special" case.

I hope people pick up this show, even if the running time is a bit short a 15 minutes.

I had forgotten to include the torrent link the first time I made the thread... thanks for providing a link.

Kraco
Fri, 08-08-2008, 03:01 AM
It looked like a pretty interesting series. I'll keep watching. Seems a lot more directly sociology oriented than Chobits, for example, which is a good thing, although it also means it will underline the fundamental conservatism, importance of image, and stricter social class structure of Japan (which is very frequently evident in otaku shows, whether it's true to that extent or not). So, it's a bit of a stretch compared to what would happen somewhere else, like in Europe or the USA, I reckon.

Other than that, it looked well made. The future technology made sense and I have nothing bad to say about the visual quality.

Lucifus
Fri, 08-08-2008, 04:40 AM
Haha, wonderful first episode.

Awesome thusfar, only 6 episodes but I'm sure I'll enjoy each.

Jaitne
Fri, 08-22-2008, 02:52 PM
That was pretty cool to watch. It seems like a lot of android robot films, though, in the way they want to be treated the way they look.

It had a pretty cute ending for the first episode.

Though I do wonder, by the way they act, which personality is real? Or is it just hidden because of where they're not? If that made sense :( I tried not to put any spoilers in there, since I'm not sure if I'm allowed to.

Kraco
Fri, 08-22-2008, 03:15 PM
If you want to build a robot that interacts really well with humans in everyday home and office situations, you have to make it understand how humans think and also feel. Thus it's not a stretch, if it is a thing controlled by an adaptive AI, that it will come to wish for equality, just like a human (slave) would. If it was only a big bunch of stiff algorithms reacting to myriad different commands and situations, then a plot like this wouldn't happen. So, I think both aspects of the personality are real. Even humans can display different kinds of personalities at work and back home. For these androids it's just a lot more stronger issue.

Unless they in reality are stupid and some hacker just made them behave like this...

Jaitne
Fri, 08-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Technically, AI, no matter how realistic, is just an algorithm. A bunch of symbols and numbers formed together to create a program.

Depending on how they were all programmed leads into what they can't do, what they might do, or what they will do. They have small AI in most games nowadays, so the computer characters can predict, act ahead, or react to what a player does.

Since it's Artificial Intelligence, it's all fake, unless in this show.. it somehow becomes real depending on the absence of the ring.

Kraco
Fri, 08-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Bah. Our own brains are nothing but biological neural networks. And neural networks can be, in theory, fully simulated even with a binary computer powerful enough. In the future, who knows, it might be more plausible to get rid of such stiff digital processing and use whatever quantum computer to get much closer to the fussier algorithms that make us keep the wheels of the civilization turning.

And only the copywriters of game companies really think the algorithms even in new games are actual AIs. I very much doubt real adaptive AIs have been used in any game so far, though it's not anymore very far away, possibly.

I think the absence of the ring equals more, for example, to a jew of nazi Germany ripping away the armband.

Jaitne
Fri, 08-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Our bodies are bioloical computers, in their own way.

Because artificial intelligence is so bleh in its own way, it's hard to say what it really is. Because if you can teach computers how to adapt to situations, like.. programming.

Though, with what you're saying, it sounds a lot like Ghost in the Shell (mostly the second movie, with souls and junk) :P

Though, the biggest problem would be, to me, do they have like.. real people spirits in them that only come out when they're not being controlled by the ring above their head. And as they go in there, does the ring become less influencial on them?

Or were they made in such a way that they have an great.. mechanical brain that truly is a human's in every way (thinking aspect wise), except that it's a machine?

I want episode 2 to come out faster D:

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Though, the biggest problem would be, to me, do they have like.. real people spirits in them that only come out when they're not being controlled by the ring above their head. And as they go in there, does the ring become less influencial on them?

I don't think the ring controls them, as such. When they're in the outside world, by law they have to wear the ring, and by law they have to act as an android. When they enter the cafe, all these rules don't apply anymore, and they can discard their discriminating ring and act as they wish.

In a way, the ring controls their actions, but not in the same sense you were discussing.

That was pretty cool to watch. It seems like a lot of android robot films, though, in the way they want to be treated the way they look.

Yeah, this reminded me of "i robot" amongst other things.

I see where Jaitne's coming from, with how AI at best, can be toned down as merely algorithms. In that way, they'll always be different to us. But it's not so much what they are, but more how we see them. Perception is the key. The boy now knows the bar tender is really an android, but she feels and seems so human when she's her other self. With the lines blurring between what feels human rather than what is, he starts to feel attachment to her as he would a human.

Jaitne
Fri, 08-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Yeah, this reminded me of "i robot" amongst other things.

That is where the 3 rules came from that the robots are supposed to follow.

Three Laws of Robotics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_laws_of_robotics)

Which.. I guess is the thing, it seems like they can break the rules, especially inside the room, but outside of it they can't or don't do a thing like that.

I don't think they take off their rings, but something in the room might.

Act 2: Sammy. They have a preview for it up on their site.

Kraco
Sat, 08-23-2008, 02:16 AM
For the three rules to really be ultimate, they would need to be run by an external processor inside the android that the AI can't reprogram at all. After all, a true AI could and must be able to reprogram itself, otherwise it's not adaptive. Of course it could be built wisely from the beginning, lessening the chances it would reprogram itself to a dangerous entity (by giving it a motivation to retain the rules), but in the end that equals to thinking all humans are born good and won't ever become murderers.

Still, it's too early to say what manner of robots they are in this series. We haven't yet heard any lectures on the technology behind them.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-23-2008, 02:54 AM
The AI subject actually got me thinking. AI stands for Artificial Intelligence, so it's reasonable to say that at the end of the day, AI technology will be able produce an entity that we can truly called intelligent.

But does character/personality spring from intelligence? If not, then will it ever be possible for an AI to develop, not emulate, a personality, and think in any other way than according to binary Yes/No rules?

If we're using i Robot as an example, will intelligence develop the ability to "interpret" rules rather than following them?

Kraco
Sat, 08-23-2008, 03:39 AM
I reckon that should constitute quite an essential part of intelligence. Interpreting reality, or rather observations, is of utmost importance. In fact even today the primordial machine vision solutions must have some sort of a decision making capability based on what they observe, resulting in reactions. It's not such a long stretch to accessing also abstract matter, like rules, and making decisions based on them. Although traditionally in fiction AIs of course have tended to think along the lines of: The needs of the many outweight the needs of the few, which is regularly considered cold and inhumane by human standards. However, since mankind hasn't yet known a single artificial intelligence, I tend to think it's impossible to imagine what one would be like.

Whether the personality is emulated or genuine doesn't really matter in the end, in my opinion. As we know computers today, they can be considered to be running emulations all the time. So, a personality for an AI could be viewed as nothing but an UI it uses to be able to converse with humans, or as a layer used for making fuzzy decisions when no "yes/no" option is available, or a layer that contains whatever motivations (feelings) the AI might have, like the need to stay existing (that is, alive) or to continuously learn new things.

Jaitne
Sat, 08-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Well, about the rules, almost all rules have a loop hole, and since these robots were made to look exactly like humans, maybe, at times, they believe they are human. If they believe they're human, then they have no reason to follow the rules because, to them, they're not robots.

I mean, computer viruses can adapt and change to get passed getting deleted or found out so they can be delete. For all we known, being AI means that they can continue to add new algorithms, or things to do so they can adapt and change.

But yea.. since there aren't too many episodes out yet, and we don't know exactly what happens, in this world, we can't make any real conclusions by one, 15 minute episode. Hehe

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-03-2008, 06:18 PM
When the Three Rules don't apply:

Eve no Jikan ACT 02 : Sammi (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=34774)

Jaitne
Fri, 10-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Oh man. Finally.

Kraco
Sat, 10-04-2008, 05:27 AM
A rather interesting episode. Rikuo clearly doesn't yet know where he stands, and I judge most of his actions so far are a direct result of social pressure and confirming to what he has previously believed - without too much thinking. However, you can already see he's fast passing the line into the Dori-kei realm.

I think the scene where he got back his glasses and realised Sammi is standing right next to him was nice. And likewise the barkeeper totally did that purposefully. I guess she already saw Rikuo is a very potential dori-kei...

Of course the other interesting thing was the inspector (blade runner, haha) and his boss. Or maybe they work for an android company doing preemptive work.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-05-2008, 01:29 AM
So it seems this so called Suppression Circuit that's used to keep robots robotic is beginning to wane. That or androids are beginning to adapt and overcome it. Good show that provokes some interesting thoughts, and it looks like they'll get even more deep with the notion of robot love.

As for the actual episode, did it play alight for everyone? For some reason, it won't play with the .ass file in the same folder. I had to encode the file in as a hard sub before it would work. I remember the same thing happened with the Appleseed EX Machina Xvid torrent Yuki posted up before as well.

Kraco
Sun, 10-05-2008, 02:51 AM
It played normally for me. Although I packed the video (and audio) and the ass into an mkv container so that I don't need to keep two files for an episode in the folder. I don't like loose subtitle files much, especially for series.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-05-2008, 03:42 AM
I chose to redo it into a mp4 file, and it popped out at 48MB with no visible quality loss. I was rather happy, though it was not skill on my part.

The loophole about lying as interesting. So if you think that telling the truth will harm a human, then it's okay to lie, even if you're ordered to tell the truth.

animus
Sun, 10-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Sammi was pretty darn cute with a pony-tail.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Sammi was pretty darn cute with a pony-tail.

Can't agree more. I was thinking it was her at the bar, but then I didn't see her come in, and she looked much cuter.

I'm interested in knowing exact who is human in that place. I have a feeling one of the couples is human.

masamuneehs
Mon, 10-06-2008, 08:58 AM
watched the first episode. i'm in love with this one.

it might be a little too pressing with the ethics of humanoid slaves and their treatment, but it's an interesting concept for me (i never saw Chobits), and i love the style in this one. long awkward pauses and quick, sudden cuts/changes (violent and subdued), plus the occasional use of first person view really makes it grab hold of you. feels really well thought out.

edit - aw hell, it's only 6 episodes long? why do all the good ones end up getting the short end of the budget stick?

edit again - ONCE EVERY TWO MONTHS?!?!
GODDAMN IT!!

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Oh man. Finally.

It airs once every 2 months.

masamuneehs
Tue, 10-07-2008, 10:02 AM
so an android walks into a bar.

it's given a direct command "don't discriminate between androids and humans here. that includes yourself". it turns its halo off. it walks into the bar and interacts with the other entities there.

Now the question is this: does the android now see itself as a robot? Does it see the other people in the bar as humans? As androids? Because, folks, now we have an issue on our hands. Let's review the three laws.

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

There are only two core elements in these laws.
Androids != humans and Androids < humans

So an android walks into a bar, gets a direct command that well, if it didn't come from a human, it was given to a robot by a human and is like one robot saying to the other "yo, this is what your master (humans) are telling you to do". The command is "don't distinguish between humans and androids here"

Now right away some people would say that the android can't obey this command. It violates the first law because, if an android can't tell what's human or android (let's assume they can't without the halos), it can't guard against inaction that might lead to a human being harmed. It might even try to defend itself on the premise of the 3rd Law and end up causing harm to a human, not knowing it was a human. The command to not differentiate between android and human is in fact a command to initiate inaction regarding potential harm to a human.

but clearly they do follow the command and turn off their halos. so, either A) They're still able to differentiate between haloless androids and humans, B) they now must assume anyone and everyone is a human (and then there goes the 3rd Law in regards to self-defense) or C) they must now refrain from doing anything that could cause harm to anyone.

Now, we're going to throw out A and B. It's been mentioned before that there's no outward difference between humans and androids. They can't assume anyone in the bar is human, because they know they themselves are not, and then they'd have to obey commands from anyone in the bar (which they don't) and this would nullify the command to 'treat everyone the same'. So all we're left with would be C. And I have a feeling that's not exactly what's going on here...

So what does an android do? It can't possibly rewrite it's programming to believe itself human, because it wouldn't be bound by the laws, and that's a direct opposition to the inaction clause of Rule one. It can't obey the command to "don't differentiate between humans and androids here" while believing the others to be human, because it would still know itself to be an android and then be forced to take orders from all of them. We're back to the beginning of the problem again, and i'm running out of energy.

Help.

Also, something that caught my eye in the first episode and that the comment on 'individuality' and 'suppression circuits' makes me think of.

In the first episode, when the boys are at school, we see an android walking through the hall. It's ring is red (task mode?). Suddenly the ring turns green and the android stops, moving to the side of the hallway, allowing several human children to pass by it. Soon after we see the android enter the room, then leaving while carrying a stack of something. The halo is red again.

At the entrance to Eve no Jikan, the boys are stopped and staring at the door. Suddenly, there's an android behind him. He is standing still. After a moment he shoulders past both of the boys. His halo is red the entire time.

Clearly this is an incident of the Suppression circuit breaking down, as the android has failed to give way to the humans, even bumping into them (what if one of them had fallen?) as he continues with his 'Task' (which, we ask ourselves, how did going to the cafe become a Task in the first place?). This points to the phenomenon going on inside the cafe as being one where the actual android's definitions of human and android are being cancelled out by the command on the sign.

On the issue of the halo being red and going to the cafe being a Task, we can only assume that whenever Sammi goes out to do shopping (and goes to the cafe), hers is red as well until she gets to the cafe. However, as we learn at the end of episode one, she was never given the Task of 'get coffee from Eve no Jikan'. Most likely, it was never stated what kind of coffee she get (the Task being "buy coffee when we're low"). This forces the android to make a decision as to what kind of coffee to buy. It has to buy coffee, that's a command, but in order to do so it needs to decide where and what to buy, and that's indivduality (which, ironically is something forced on the android by vague, imperfect commands from humans), and so the Task "Get coffee from Eve no Jikan" is both an individual decision and the following of an order at the same time.

One can only wonder, however, if all other robots at the cafe (the two being intimate with each other, for example) are rationalizing their "Go to Eve no Jikan" Tasks as part of a command. Either way, in the case of the guy shouldering past the humans outside the cafe, his Task was taking priority over their being there, and that, my friends, is stepping all over the 2nd Law (with soccer cleats if you decide to think he's going there out of a Task he created with his own individuality)

Akiko, for instance, seems to believe that she can serve her master better by getting to know others, and thus she might have one day simply wandered out of the house in order to do this. We are approaching Zeroth's Law here... and that's a mess for another day...

Finally, an observation on the episode: the guy reading the book seems all kinds of suspicious to me. Methinks he's the guy on the phone call to the scientist at the end of the episode, and that some sting shit is going to go down. Also, the book he was reading was about Android Codes and Laws which, if he were an android, he wouldn't need to read because it's already be programmed into him!

Also, consider these two morsels:

A human master takes a robot to a well and gives it a big stone. It tells the robot to throw the stone into the well. At the bottom of the well, where the robot can't detect it, a human victim is tied up.

A human master takes an android to a darkened room and tells it to destroy another android. To the android receiving the order, this other android appears to be an android and the master says that it is.

Can a robot/android perform these orders?

Kraco
Tue, 10-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Your logic there has a few flaws. One I have mentioned before: If they are truly intelligent, the laws would need to be observed by an external (to their core intelligence) subprocess because otherwise they could turn off the rules at will, rendering them meaningless - after all, in most countries you aren't allowed to kill your neighbour but still people do that all too often, demonstrating how weak such voluntary rules are.

A minor point would be that we don't know what manner of senses those androids possess so they could very well be able to instantly recognize each other by some WLAN/Bluetooth or whatever means, or by sensing EM outside of the human visible spectrum.

And lastly but by far not leastly they don't need to obey commands from all humans. That would be insane. An adroid like that probably costs as much as a good car if not more. It would be utterly stupid if it took commands from every human who told it to step into the car or open the door. It suffices they obey commands from their registered owner or people appointed by their owners (or by default some commands from guests). And likewise it's strange to assume the bar would be intensely hostile place where all hell would instantly break lose the very moment the androids turns off their halos. It's not like they would feel a sudden urge to destroy each other and slay humans. Not even bars for humans are like that even if some drunkards cause troubles every now and then.

masamuneehs
Wed, 10-08-2008, 09:20 AM
i'm still not so sure about the androids being able to refuse a command from any human. if it doesn't conflict with a higher priority Task (you have to assume there is some kind or priority list for Tasks, and who the commands came from should be a part of that) or one of the Laws, it would seem that the android would have to obey those commands as part of the 2nd Law.

in episode 2, at the cafe, this also happens:
Rikuo: "I have a question. Um, where's the ring on top of your head?"
Akiko: "It's off. If I don't look like a human, it'll be a violation of the rules."
Rikuo: "But robots have..."
and the conversation gets cut off there.

Now although Masaki convinces Rikuo that Sammi lied to him, you'll notice that since she got coffee from the cafe, none of her answers are actually lies. She doesn't say "i went to a place that was out of the way to get the coffee, which was part of my Task", but she doesn't need to volunteer that information.

(there's also an evasive answer around a question by Akiko in episode 1, to Masaki's "Don't you have androids at home?", and she doesn't lie there either.) So far we haven't seen a confirmed android lie about anything.

Like the old man said, you can hide things from people, but that's not the same as lying. He even says "although i'm not saying i won't lie to her either." so, maybe he would lie to her, but there seems to be circumstances attached to that (the 1st Law, perhaps?)

Of course, if Chie-chan is a robot like I think she might be, she's been lying this whole time with her "I'm a cat" statements...

Also, can anyone figure out why the guy reading the book in episode 2 calls Masaki "Blade Runner" ? I've never seen the movie (although I think I will after reading a bit about it on wikipedia), but this is a very strong statement for the guy to make, considering the setting of this anime.

I'm sure as hell that he's the guy on the phone at the end of the episode (mentioning how careless the person shadowing him was and therefore not part of the Ethics Commitee), as Masaki tries to follow him out of the cafe, he's reading a book on robot laws and even says "Violate the rule and you won't have any fun. No, rather, it would be meaningnles to be here. ... or so I've been told." and, that's a map of the area around the cafe at the very end, am i right?

Kraco
Wed, 10-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Also, can anyone figure out why the guy reading the book in episode 2 calls Masaki "Blade Runner" ? I've never seen the movie (although I think I will after reading a bit about it on wikipedia), but this is a very strong statement for the guy to make, considering the setting of this anime.

A guy who hasn't seen Blade Runner? What has this world come to...

Anyway, I think the man called him that because those two were investigating androids in a cafe, whose idea is to make humans and androids equal and indistinguishable from each other. And since Blade Runners in the movie are people hunting androids, it's a perfectly valid thing to call him.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-04-2008, 01:06 AM
New release:
[MiniTheatre] Eve no Jikan 3 (40mb X264) (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=41940)

As the name suggests, it's probably got a really low bitrate, resolution, or both. Then again, it could look fine, since I've re-encoded the Pireze episodes to .mp4 at around the 50MB mark with not visual loss in quality.

I'll most likely download both this and Pireze's episode 3 and make a comparison.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 12-04-2008, 02:03 AM
Amazing episode. Will comment more later.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-05-2008, 11:05 AM
*bump* MiniTheatre looks fine. Only complaint would be the timing of the subs. Some stuff just flashes past way too fast. Maybe it's a good representation of how fast the convos are going, but it's making me hit the pause button. As for accuracy, I'm assuming it's the official subs from crunchyroll.

This episode explored the relationship side of things quite a bit. Most surprising thing for me was how Sami responded at the end, bending the rules (sort of), even outside the cafe.

animus
Fri, 12-05-2008, 01:31 PM
That's all the development Sammi got, =(.

Pandadice
Fri, 12-05-2008, 01:34 PM
thanks for the link. downloading it now.

edit:

ug. it feels like a waste to watch it in such low quality. this show has such amazing visuals, I can't wait for an hd version to come out. I did the samething with Candy boy...

But still, it was such a great episode. man, it said the next episode is gonna be in spring '09 >.<..

Kraco
Sun, 12-07-2008, 11:18 AM
I guess they don't have any wireless functionality after all, or they can completely turn them off when entering the bar. Kind of interesting even the androids don't know who is a robot and who is a human.

I have to share animus's sentiment, though. With so short episodes so rarely released, it's kind of cruel we got no more Sammi than this.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 12-07-2008, 07:13 PM
I think the following episodes will focus more on her, so it should be fine.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-07-2008, 09:58 PM
If we do, I demand the ponytail version.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Eve no Jikan ACT 03 [pireze][yoshiness] (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=43981)

Pireze release.

Board of Command
Wed, 12-24-2008, 01:28 AM
This series is great. I had a feeling that I've seen this animation style in the past, and it turns out these are the same people who made Pale Cocoon.

Pandadice
Wed, 12-24-2008, 10:55 AM
and Mizu Kotoba.

Kraco
Tue, 05-05-2009, 09:48 AM
All are equal:

Episode 4 - HorribleSubs (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=62629)

- - - - - - -

Not the best subs out there (or maybe they are until more releases come out), but the ep was damn funny. Sure it got some sadness and conflict as well since the theme was scrapping androids, but the Terminator vibe and the desperate attempts to prevent the coffee drinking and the constant malfunctioning were bloody hilarious.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-07-2009, 07:10 AM
I thought that episode was pure genius. The way they played with the direction and camera angles, especially the android's internal thought screens was just superb. This OAV may just be one of the best I have ever seen, depending on how it ends. So far, my only complaint is its brevity (which may in fact be a good thing) and the length of time between releases.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 05-07-2009, 05:57 PM
It's amazing how they explore such controversial topics in an enjoyable, but still powerful manner. The whole Terminator thing hit home. Bearing a "bare bone" appearance, it sends the message that it's not only abandoned, but crippled and stripped of everything, down to its own name.

At first I thought the boy in said memory was the main character's friend. Probably not, considering he didn't recognise it at first, but his later reactions don't exactly rule it out neither.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-07-2009, 08:28 PM
The friend most likely had a house robot during childhood that either malfunctioned or was dumped illegally.

Pandadice
Sun, 08-02-2009, 12:27 AM
so ep 5 has been on crunchyroll for awhile now, and a torrent was just put out

[mendoan-subs]Eve no Jikan 5 ENG and JAV 852x480 X264 LC-AAC [949e3c5a].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torrentinfo&tid=78170)

animus
Sun, 08-02-2009, 01:28 AM
Awful subs. It seems like they haven't gotten any better since the last time I watched one of their subs of Kiss Dum, but apparently the subs were taken from Crunchyroll.

Decent episode I guess. First half was slow as hell.

Pandadice
Sun, 08-02-2009, 09:59 PM
awman, what an awesome episode.

okay, so i read your "awful subs" comment before i watched it, and so i was kinda expecting bad subs, but i figured hey, they are from crunchyroll, so they can't be that bad..

but then I started the video and it's like "Sudio Rikka", and I'm like "D:... no way."

seriously, there's no way these subs came from crunchyroll.. and it's pretty obvious that the translator isn't a native English speaker. so maybe crunchyroll like outsources to none-english speaking people to sub their shows in english.. if these are seriously the subs they're hosting on crunchyroll 1. i'm pissed that they're treating this show so horribly. and 2. they ruined any kind of quality expectation standard i might of had for them...

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-03-2009, 02:26 AM
I think I'll wait then. This show's good, but not good enough to make bad subs dismissible. I've gotten used to waiting for it anyway.

Pandadice
Sat, 09-26-2009, 01:33 PM
episode 6, the final episode, is out.

[NEETgirl] Eve no Jikan - Act 6 [Final].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=87724)

now that it's finished we can start looking forward to the movie compilation of the episodes, and hopefully a bluray release of it ^^

Kraco
Sat, 09-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Kind of a slice-of-life ending, and a series all in all. Something was going on in the background with that nazi ethics committee, but it was left largely aside with the series ending already.

At least it was a somewhat happy ending for Sammy so I have no complaints as such.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-27-2009, 03:38 AM
I really liked this series. I'm curious as to what that mysterious incident was, but "that's another story" hopefully indicates there's more to come, showing how Eve no Jikan came to be.

I don't know if androids have crying functions (Sammy seems to), but the streak marks on the THX model symbolically showed how much it wanted to talk to Masakazu. The lack of a mouth by design is as if there's a human forced into silence behind a mask, unable to express.

Pandadice
Thu, 11-05-2009, 02:10 AM
new content will be in the movie :D

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-11-04/time-of-eve-film-new-scenes-confirmed-for-2010

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-05-2009, 03:57 AM
It would be great if they had more Sami, especially in the latter parts. It wasn't nearly enough.

Pandadice
Fri, 02-19-2010, 05:39 PM
trailer for the movie is out, with new footage

http://ch.yahoo.co.jp/asmik-ace/index.php?itemid=31

looks like more sammy ^^

David75
Sun, 09-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Finished the show in one sitting, as it's fairly short.
Very nice.
I like this type of philosophical questions.

I was just a little upset I didn't know that the movie was a compilation of the eps with more scenes/details/background... as I do not have to courage to watch the same scenes again even with added material.

In the end, I think it was well made, a bit like a tutorial on what would be some human/android interactions.
The art was nice, CG average. Camera movements/zooming were done nicely, but too much of it was used and I almost got sea sick at times.

I'll probably watch the movie in the next few weeks.

Regarding the link to Chobits, well that show is much more down to earth/factual or reality like.
Chobits is more in the comedy (at the beginning) fantasy side, eventhough it does sting in many aspects regarding human/androids relations, but mainly in the love department, with strong shounen colors.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-05-2010, 08:21 PM
I think the camera direction for this was extremely well done. All the zooming was done for a purpose. It usually highlights small movements and details (ie. finger twitches, slight hesitation, even lack of movement when it is expected) that explain a lot about the character and the scene.

Kraco
Fri, 09-10-2010, 02:56 PM
I only now watched the movie. Quite a bit more wholesome than the series, making an excellent story, even if it still remained pretty much the story of the two dudes rather than anything larger. Although those larger things were scraped much better in the movie than in the series. The many Sammy scenes made me happy.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-10-2010, 09:12 PM
I only now watched the movie. Quite a bit more wholesome than the series, making an excellent story, even if it still remained pretty much the story of the two dudes rather than anything larger. Although those larger things were scraped much better in the movie than in the series. The many Sammy scenes made me happy.

No link? :(

Marik
Fri, 09-10-2010, 09:33 PM
No link? :(

[Chaos-MII]​ Eve​ no​ Jikan​ Gekijouban - 1080p (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=156290) | 720p (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=156281) | 576p (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=156187)

[Nipponsei] Eve no Jikan Movie Original Soundtrack.​zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Eve%20no%20Jikan%20Movie%20Origi nal%20Soundtrack.zip.torrent)

Inazuma
Sun, 09-12-2010, 06:12 AM
Way too awesome for this thread to be only 4 page long

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Was the old man with Nagi during and after the credits Shiotsuki?

I kind of got the feeling that Nagi and Sammy both like Rikuo from that scene in the cafe where they blushed, so I'm assuming that Nagi's relationship with the old cyborg is more of a parental thing than a romantic one.

This thing needs a sequel. The movie subtitle says that it is just the first season. I hope that means what it should.

Kraco
Sun, 09-12-2010, 06:45 AM
Nagi and the old robot were most certainly in a parental rather than a romantic relationship. That's the impression I got. And yeah, I also think Nagi might like Rikuo. But if that's the case, then she has a conflict of interest: Whether to snatch Rikuo for herself or to let him to become more and more dori-kei by allowing him to develop a deeper relationship with Sammy.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Harem endings are best when the girls involved are as hot as Nagi and Sammy. You get two different character types too. Too bad the coffee they serve will taste the same.

After watching the movie, I have reaffirmed by judgment that this show is truly a masterpiece. I think I liked the short episodes more though, because the intro song does not get cut off, and each story feels complete per episode even with differing lengths.

I love the Akiko and Rikuo interactions the best though. I might be influenced by the VAs playing them though.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-20-2010, 01:42 AM
After watching the movie, I have reaffirmed by judgment that this show is truly a masterpiece. I think I liked the short episodes more though, because the intro song does not get cut off, and each story feels complete per episode even with differing lengths.

It dismissed little bits of the episodes in order to keep the flow, but they added a heap more Sammi development to balance it out. I don't remember Akiko talking to Rikou that much neither.

From memery, he just sat down and played the piano after Sammi did without expressing his thoughts like he did in the movie.

Was the old man with Nagi during and after the credits Shiotsuki?

It's the best bet. There's no other person it could be. They gave a much better explanation of what the reading-guy in the suit was doing, but exactly what his organisation was doing is still going over my head.

A sequel would be nice - they could even do it in little episodic instalments again.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 10-20-2010, 02:03 AM
If there is a sequel, I want some Nagi X Rikuo X Sammy scenes. The one where they defended him was hilarious and cute.

Board of Command
Mon, 12-20-2010, 12:28 AM
I finally got around to watching this after having it sit on my hard drive for months.

Is Nagi a human or an android? Or is she some kind of cyborg like the old man at the end? In the final scene, the camera zoomed in on her hand and she had mechanical fingers just like the old man.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2h497bm.png

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-20-2010, 02:02 AM
I finally got around to watching this after having it sit on my hard drive for months.

Is Nagi a human or an android? Or is she some kind of cyborg like the old man at the end? In the final scene, the camera zoomed in on her hand and she had mechanical fingers just like the old man.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2h497bm.png

I'm guessing she's a cyborg, since the ED shows her going through physical therapy. It would seem strange for an android to need to do so.

Board of Command
Mon, 12-20-2010, 05:38 PM
It would have helped if I watched the ED. That cleared it up nicely.