PDA

View Full Version : The Gotwoot Awards

python862
Thu, 07-31-2008, 05:18 PM
Okay, well... I kinda had some ideas about this awhile ago, but I could never remember to post this when I was on. But, now that I've got myself thinking of it, I wanted to present an opportunity for the members of Gotwoot to be recognized for something.

Basically, what I thought was that there would be like ten or twenty categories, with nominations threads and the whole like. Maybe a sub-forum. I dunno about that just yet.

The categories that I think should be voted on would be things like 'Best Poster', 'Best Flamer', 'Best Mod'; things like that where members could nominate who they think would be the best for the title (without nominating themselves, of course). I haven't really thought out any of the details yet, but I think, with some discussion of course, that it could be something of a possibility.

Lucifus
Thu, 07-31-2008, 05:24 PM
I don't know if anyone else will bite; but I like the idea.

Edit: Though I suppose we have already kinda been doing this with the E-Peen contest and polls in the flame pit etc. Still think it would be a pretty fun 'event' though.

RyougaZell
Thu, 07-31-2008, 05:37 PM
It could be interesting indeed. More details please. ;)

python862
Thu, 07-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Well, like I said, I haven't really thought of everything just yet. I was actually hoping to bring this to a discussion of sorts. Let the whole community decide what to do with what. I mean, I don't want to organize the whole thing myself... that'd be entirely too much for me.

Sapphire
Thu, 07-31-2008, 05:47 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm up for it.

Abdula
Thu, 07-31-2008, 05:49 PM
Well I like the idea but I'm not sure how thing are going to pan out, cause it could just end up being a big waste of time and some categories would have landslide victories. I'm sure the idea will get alot of support though, the attention whores we have here will undoubtedly love it.

Archangel
Thu, 07-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Cool idea, but would it be a monthly thing?

python862
Thu, 07-31-2008, 05:54 PM
Nah, I was thinking more like yearly. Maybe twice annually.

saman
Thu, 07-31-2008, 07:44 PM
o_O

uhhh, the only other internet forum i frequent has something like this. almost exactly like this, actually. we have it once a year on the anniversary of the forum. there are many different categories, like "best avatar", "best thread", "most creative" (*points at her sig*), "most friendly", etc etc. a mod makes a thread for nominations, and for a month or so, people nominate others (or themselves, sometimes), for the categories. then the mod makes threads for each of the categories with polls in each of them including whoever was nominated for that category. we all vote for a month or so, and then whoever gets the most votes in each category wins that award. it's a pretty sweet setup, and it's a big thing for us. we even have a sub-forum for it every year.

if someone wants to check it out some more, you can follow the link in my sig. you have to sign up to view the sub-forum, though, since it's a members-only deal.

ChaosK
Thu, 07-31-2008, 07:57 PM
I did one of these on mangashare a few months back...it's a fun little contest, not difficult to run at all.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-31-2008, 09:35 PM
I'm all go for the idea too. Perhaps even throw in some rather unique awards to make it more fun.

Assassin
Thu, 07-31-2008, 11:13 PM
you're just an award whore Buffalobian >.>

Anyways, i like the idea, but i'll save judgment for when i see a more complete layout. Theres always problems that can occur when you get into the details, like abdul mentioned. But then again, saman and chaos can testify that it works, so i'd be willing to give it a try.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-01-2008, 12:01 AM
After recent development here, I'll put in my vote for a Gotwoot Best Couple award.

You all know who to vote for ;)

Lucifus
Fri, 08-01-2008, 02:16 AM
Well......I would think its the GW staff's job to come up with these fun little events, but they're the laziest pack on the net.

If you guys will bite though, I'll see if I can throw something together.

Kraco! You took over for Deadfire didn't you? Get to work!

ChaosK
Fri, 08-01-2008, 02:58 AM
Well......I would think its the GW staff's job to come up with these fun little events, but they're the laziest pack on the net.

If you guys will bite though, I'll see if I can throw something together.

Kraco! You took over for Deadfire didn't you? Get to work!

Yeah, DF's last event went so well...oh wait, we never even finished.

NM
Fri, 08-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Personally, I like it. It would feel nice to put some members out there to be recognized for something. And I've been itching to see some more community activities going on to liven up the place.

The only thing the mods really have to do is think of an award and the top members who qualify for it is all...perhaps Luci can photoshop us some kind of trophy for the winner too. ;)

Should this wait until the photography contest is over? I'll gladly get started on the planning though, this would be fun.

saman
Fri, 08-01-2008, 12:17 PM
i'll volunteer for gathering the nods and acquiring the necessary links and images and such, if that's alright. woot participation!

NM
Fri, 08-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Feel free to do so Saman, makes the mods job easier. :p

So I guess this is official now guys (Assassin, Xan, any other mod looking at this thread/post)? >.>

Assassin
Fri, 08-01-2008, 05:50 PM
so long as the big cheese has no issues with it, im all for it. We will have to wait till the photography contest is over, but that should last a month.

NM, if you wanna take charge of this one, go ahead and get started...Saman can help you too and i'll pitch in as well once things get going.

python862
Fri, 08-01-2008, 09:10 PM
I can also aid. I suppose that since I brought the idea up, I should at least help handle some of the load.

Archangel
Sat, 08-02-2008, 12:39 AM
So will there be a sub forum for this like saman suggested? And will it be held once every 3 months or something?

NM
Sat, 08-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Preparations are underway...I will update you guys when we have more to go on with the topic. As for the time frame though, I was thinking maybe once every two or three months. At least that way we have some gap between each contest and we'll have more material to work with/think of.

EDIT: Saman, sent you a PM.

DB_Hunter
Sat, 08-02-2008, 12:19 PM
I think one of the awards should be 'Best Turd' of the forums. That would be an interesting contest.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 01-05-2009, 11:15 PM
*bump*....how's things moving along here, with NM dormant for nearly 3 months? I suppose I could help with preparations (whatever that involves) too.

XanBcoo
Tue, 01-06-2009, 12:43 PM
I've not been at home for the past week, and I still have another week before I can use a computer again regularly, so my powers of organization aren't of much use at the moment. It seems like this will be like the Photo Contest with me and Assassin being the ones in charge.

Look forward to this thing happening before the end of January, though.

Junior
Mon, 01-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Is operation 'Awards' still on go?

This sounds exciting! I wanna participate.

sairane
Tue, 01-13-2009, 02:25 AM
Darn, another popularity contest i have no hope of winning. Oh well.

/wanders off

Animeniax
Tue, 01-13-2009, 02:48 AM
I'm pretty sure you're a chick so you definitely have a chance of winning some of the categories, like the swimsuit competition.

Assassin
Tue, 01-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Yes, the GW awards are still in the works. We're just sorting out the logistics of it all, but rest assured, it will happen. I wont specify a time, just because realistically its not exactly a priority for any of us, but at the same time you wont have to wait 4 months for it. We'll do our best to keep to Xan's end of january deadline.

Paper
Tue, 01-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Yes, the GW awards are still in the works. We're just sorting out the logistics of it all, but rest assured, it will happen. I wont specify a time, just because realistically its not exactly a priority for any of us, but at the same time you wont have to wait 4 months for it. We'll do our best to keep to Xan's end of january deadline.

Awards will be nice.... What will be the categories or is it to early to say?

XanBcoo
Tue, 01-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Awards will be nice.... What will be the categories or is it to early to say?
In my opinion, if you're looking for anything other than 'bragging rights" out of this, then you're looking for too much.

We're looking to use about 5-10 categories at the moment.

Paper
Tue, 01-13-2009, 12:11 PM
In my opinion, if you're looking for anything other than 'bragging rights" out of this, then you're looking for too much.

what is there to brag about???? I'm as humble as they come, I was just asking a question :confused:

XanBcoo
Tue, 01-13-2009, 01:14 PM
what is there to brag about???? I'm as humble as they come, I was just asking a question :confused:
Sorry, I misunderstood what you said. I thought you meant "awards" as in prizes (custom title, larger sig, etc), to which I was responding that you there won't be any prizes beyond being able to say that you won such-and-such category for 2008. That is, bragging rights.

Paper
Tue, 01-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood what you said. I thought you meant "awards" as in prizes (custom title, larger sig, etc), to which I was responding that you there won't be any prizes beyond being able to say that you won such-and-such category for 2008. That is, bragging rights.

It's all good, I understand, I didn't mean actual "awards" as item related, I just like the idea for more members to start posting more and threads like this will give them alittle push.

Death BOO Z
Tue, 01-13-2009, 02:39 PM
holy fuck...
isn't the 2008 awards limited to users who.. you know, existed back in 2008?

DBZ, trying to weed out the competition

Paper
Tue, 01-13-2009, 02:50 PM
holy fuck...
isn't the 2008 awards limited to users who.. you know, existed back in 2008?

DBZ, trying to weed out the competition

lol I lurk GotWoot for like two years before I registered, if that count as anything lol

Death BOO Z
Tue, 01-13-2009, 04:01 PM
it doesn't

complich8
Tue, 01-13-2009, 09:06 PM
totally doesn't.

(this post submitted as my application for "most regressed" :p)

Archangel
Wed, 01-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Does the award for "biggest surprise" go to nadouku for being a guy or to Ani for going gay for him?

Animeniax
Wed, 01-14-2009, 11:05 AM
"Most deserving of a ban for 2008" should go to Archangel, but he also qualifies for "biggest spammer", "poster of ugliest chicks in a thread for pictures of beautiful women", and "most prolific one-liner shit poster of 2008".

Archangel
Wed, 01-14-2009, 11:09 AM
And most pathetic attempt at flaming should go to the above post

Kraco
Wed, 01-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Alright. This isn't the Pit. Keep it out of here.

Some technical and other things are still being planned and considered for the contest.

XanBcoo
Wed, 01-14-2009, 12:01 PM
If anyone else has any serious suggestions for categories, you're welcome to post your ideas in this thread, but don't turn it into the Flame Pit. We already have a bunch of categories lined up, but any good ideas are welcome.

Edit: And yes, like Sapphire said below me, try to suggest categories where there won't be one clear winner.

My suggestion of "Most Likely to Defend Allegations Against the Overweight" didn't go over well.

Sapphire
Wed, 01-14-2009, 12:05 PM
I would just ask not to pick ones where there is an obvious winner... because those are the easiest to think of.

Archangel
Wed, 01-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Well i was serious about the category "Biggest surprise of 2008"

Animeniax
Wed, 01-14-2009, 12:08 PM
"Most iconic image of Gotwoot 2008." I vote for the shirtless wonder.

Archangel
Wed, 01-14-2009, 12:17 PM
lol save it for the pit Ani

But that category isn't half bad

Shouldn't we also have a "Gotwoot Idol"?

Junior
Wed, 01-14-2009, 02:42 PM
"Most iconic image of Gotwoot 2008." I vote for the shirtless wonder.

I vote too! Archie is the true mascot of Gotwoot. XD

Shouldn't we also have a "Gotwoot Idol"?

Sounds good. I think I might go for Assertn with that.

EDIT: Most Intelligent Member maybe? That would be difficult to vote for.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-14-2009, 03:26 PM
You could have a "best" noob of 2008, depending on how you look at "best" ;)

But you guys must have something like that already.

Is there some way to see who's login time is the longest? That could be a "Too much free time to spend on GW" award.

Likewise, biggest poster/spammer 2008.

Fastest reputation growth?

Most iconic/unique avatar?

I'm running out of normal award ideas here now.

Edit: By counting posts in their birthday threads, Best Loved Birthday Boy/Girl of 2008?

Abdula
Wed, 01-14-2009, 03:29 PM
All too easy Bill.

Is there some way to see who's login time is the longest? That could be a "Too much free time to spend on GW" award.
Abdula

Likewise, biggest poster/spammer 2008.
Archangel

Fastest reputation growth?

Sapphire

Most iconic/unique avatar?
Assertn's pedo bear

Coming up with interesting categories that won't result in landslide victories is difficult.

Junior
Wed, 01-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Nice ones Buffa! I'm game for them! Especially the longest log in time!

I was thinking...Most Creative? I thought about 'Best Graphic Designer' but Lucifus would win, so Most Creative is better.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 01-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Does the award for "biggest surprise" go to nadouku for being a guy or to Ani for going gay for him?

people.people, people.

we're talking about 2008. nadouku wasn't the hot stuff 'round those days.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-14-2009, 03:47 PM
we're talking about 2008. nadouku wasn't the hot stuff 'round those days.

While I agree he wouldn't deserve the "biggest surprise of 2008" based on timing, I have to voice my disagreement with that quote in general. He was kind of all over GW already by late December.

/off-topic.

Biggest Bitcher 2008

Nadouku
Wed, 01-14-2009, 08:41 PM
"Biggest Surprise Entrance of GotWoot History?"

Some of the user's entrances make quite a scene, be it funny or having some e-drama. One example would be poopyman's entrance to the Naruto Manga Discussion boards, which was quite hilarious.

Sapphire
Wed, 01-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Most well known lurker is a good one.

(I would vote Xan for best sig, just because it slowly got eaten over time hahahah~)

saman
Wed, 01-14-2009, 10:25 PM
gotwoot hottie: male and female

XanBcoo
Wed, 01-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Buffalobiian is clearly in the right state of mind, as we already have most of his suggestions :p .

These are good ideas everyone. If you do see any problems with some of the categories you're discussing, please point them out, or say what you do or do not like about them.

(I would vote Xan for best sig, just because it slowly got eaten over time hahahah~)
Thank you. I don't believe anyone else has had an interactive sig before. Unfortunately the Apple/Pear war didn't play out like I hoped it might, so I wasn't able to do all that I planned with it.

KitKat
Thu, 01-15-2009, 02:19 AM
I think there should be a "Best Thread of 2008" award, given to the starter of a thread that was an original idea, and begun in 2008.

Also, I'd like to see an award which incorporates irc, since the irc channel is a small but active part of GotWoot. Either an irc-specific award for someone who idles in the channel, or an award voted on by the denizens of the channel to bestow upon an unsuspecting member of the forum.

Edited to add:

Well i was serious about the category "Biggest surprise of 2008"
I think there are some other viable contenders in this category. How quickly everyone has forgotten the pictures of Terra and PSJ making out.

Death BOO Z
Thu, 01-15-2009, 05:23 AM
Biggest Bitcher 2008

check the five highest posters in the bitching thread this year, and make a contest out of it?

good idea.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-15-2009, 06:25 AM
I was thinking, we could take a few letters out of that one and make a Biggest Bitch 2008 :p

I can't think of anything better right now.

/fried brain.

animus
Thu, 01-15-2009, 08:33 AM
My suggestion of "Most Likely to Defend Allegations Against the Overweight" didn't go over well.

I liked that. But there's a clear winner, and I think he's still banned for like another 25 years.

You could have a "best" noob of 2008, depending on how you look at "best"

That easily made me think of that poster who posted the picture of DINOASAURS in that one Naruto manga thread.

Kraco
Thu, 01-15-2009, 09:08 AM

The problem with things like this is that they have a very obvious winner, with no need to nominate or vote anybody.

Sapphire
Thu, 01-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Most congenial poster

Most knowledgable poster (in various catagories anime, manga, science, history etc)

All around weirdest poster

XanBcoo
Thu, 01-15-2009, 10:55 AM
That easily made me think of that poster who posted the picture of DINOASAURS in that one Naruto manga thread.
This sounds hilarious. Can I get a link to that?

Also, I'd like to see an award which incorporates irc, since the irc channel is a small but active part of GotWoot. Either an irc-specific award for someone who idles in the channel, or an award voted on by the denizens of the channel to bestow upon an unsuspecting member of the forum.

I like this idea except it would be hard to incorporate IRC users only. How would you keep non-IRC users from voting and skewing the result?

Munsu
Thu, 01-15-2009, 11:09 AM
http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=411015&postcount=35

KitKat
Thu, 01-15-2009, 12:32 PM
I like this idea except it would be hard to incorporate IRC users only. How would you keep non-IRC users from voting and skewing the result?
Well, the voting could always be done on irc, with one of the mods there monitoring to make sure no one votes twice, and then report the result to the forum. Or, if you go the other direction, you could have the forum vote on the best irc quote of 2008, if you want an award to go to an irc user.

Archangel
Thu, 01-15-2009, 12:51 PM
The problem with things like this is that they have a very obvious winner, with no need to nominate or vote anybody.

Well maybe those wouldn't really be categories. Kinda of like when you give a great actor a life achievement award in the oscars, u know?

Nadouku
Sat, 01-17-2009, 10:47 PM
"Most Likable, Overall Poster"?

How about "Most Positive/Negative Person on GotWoot"?

Junior
Sun, 01-18-2009, 02:21 PM
"Most Likable, Overall Poster"?

How about "Most Positive/Negative Person on GotWoot"?

1. Buffa.
2. Abdula.

Couldn't resisit. :p

oh..are IRC users only allowed to participate and vote?

Sapphire
Sun, 01-18-2009, 02:33 PM
How about we stop posting who we think the winners will be to people's suggestions?

Thanks.

Best original graphics (sig, avvy, fan work, different categories)

Most successful thread creater (not just in post count, but in ability to ignite [somewhat intelligent] discussion and interest in the community)

Death BOO Z
Sun, 01-18-2009, 05:41 PM
thread killer.

the person who is the most likely (according to statistics) to kill a conversation in a single thread. I.E, the guy who appears the most on the 'last post made by' column.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 01-19-2009, 12:44 AM
thread killer.

the person who is the most likely (according to statistics) to kill a conversation in a single thread. I.E, the guy who appears the most on the 'last post made by' column.

I like this idea. I was thinking of a similar one, but for a person who tends to turn threads into shit. Not that I have anybody in mind :rolleyes:

DBZ's idea is more practical though.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Bump with:

Best Behaviour Award: Poster who is always on topic, doesn't flame where they shouldn't, and basically follows the rules to the dot. Mightn't be very practical though, since there are MANY candidates, and well, in general, the less you post (especially in anime/manga specific threads), the easier it is to stay focused and not wander.

Best Waffler: As opposed to "The Biggest Post", this person uses the most amount of words to convey the simplest concepts. And of course, there's also the "Short & Sharp poster".

XanBcoo
Wed, 01-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Bump with:

Best Behaviour Award: Poster who is always on topic, doesn't flame where they shouldn't, and basically follows the rules to the dot. Mightn't be very practical though, since there are MANY candidates, and well, in general, the less you post (especially in anime/manga specific threads), the easier it is to stay focused and not wander.

Best Waffler: As opposed to "The Biggest Post", this person uses the most amount of words to convey the simplest concepts. And of course, there's also the "Short & Sharp poster".
First idea seems too similar to "Best Overall Poster" to me. But I like the second one a lot.

Sapphire
Wed, 01-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Do you mean Nadouku's 'overall' idea? Those two are different because following the rules doesn't necessarily mean you are likable.

XanBcoo
Wed, 01-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Do you mean Nadouku's 'overall' idea? Those two are different because following the rules doesn't necessarily mean you are likable.
No, I was not referring to her idea.

Anyway, the Awards are undergoing revision and are still in the planning stages. We're trying not to do this half-assed.

Nadouku
Wed, 01-21-2009, 11:31 AM
No, I was not referring to his idea.

Well, here's a couple more suggestions:

I'm pretty sure you probably have the "Best/Worst Moderator of GotWoot" category, but just wanted to make sure.

Something like "Best Discussion-type User" would be people who can discuss and back up their facts with proofs. Maybe a "Best Photography of GotWoot" can be implimented. I can name a lot that have quite a few good photos in their gallery.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Most helpful/resourceful poster?

One who responded and helped the most amount of requests such as "Where to find downloads", "Anime Recommendations", "Technical difficulties" and pretty much anything else other than answering "What happened here? in anime/manga discussion threads."

Or is that too close to "Best Poster" too?

I'm really running out of ideas now.

XanBcoo
Thu, 01-22-2009, 11:04 AM
It's ok, we have enough categories anyway. Unless you think of anything amazing or beyond the obvious, don't bother suggesting anymore.

Anyway, planning of the contest is still underway. Sit tight.

Deadfire
Thu, 01-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Yeah, DF's last event went so well...oh wait, we never even finished.

F*** you, at least my events were awesome.

and I present.

Lost to the void,

A category that has the people that we still remember as members of gotwoot, that are not with us anymore or are not as active as we wish them to be.

Lucifus
Thu, 01-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Seconded. Brilliant Saberfire.

Most likely so be uplifted to mod? Blah

Death BOO Z
Thu, 01-22-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm not so sure about the 'gone but not forgotten' category...
so many to choose from, and when they'll come back, things can get awkward

KitKat
Thu, 01-22-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm not so sure about the 'gone but not forgotten' category...
so many to choose from, and when they'll come back, things can get awkward
Well, my concern would be that it would be biased towards the members who have left more recently, because a lot of our current members simply weren't around to know many of the older crowd.

Archangel
Thu, 01-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Are the statistics Complich got gonna be used for these awards?

Arcn3ss
Sun, 02-01-2009, 12:51 AM
Id like to see some IRC related awards. Frankly Id like to see more forum users come to irc.

Archangel
Sun, 02-01-2009, 01:24 AM
Id like to see some IRC related awards. Frankly Id like to see more forum users come to irc.

Best recent addition to irc?

*cough cough*

Yukimura
Mon, 02-02-2009, 11:57 AM
You mean RedneckNoob?

Archangel
Mon, 02-16-2009, 03:31 PM
You mean RedneckNoob?

Fuck you

Can we get an update on how things are going please?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-13-2009, 08:47 AM
*bump* :rolleyes: how are things going?

Munsu
Mon, 04-13-2009, 12:15 PM
*bump* :rolleyes: how are things going?
If I have to guess, they're not.

Assassin
Mon, 04-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Basically, everyone (who was involved) lost interest. We had a time frame for this and a particular way in which we wanted the contest to play out, but i got caught up with several projects and basically this wasn't a priority.

The bulk of the work/ideas are still there, so it mite still happen at some point, but for the time being, don't expect anything unless a bunch of the other mods decide to resurrect this.

python862
Wed, 04-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Wow. You mean to tell me that after I stopped posting for awhile, YET AGAIN, that this was still under consideration?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-16-2009, 04:21 AM
Wow. You mean to tell me that after I stopped posting for awhile, YET AGAIN, that this was still under consideration?

You're just coming back for these awards, aren't you? :p

python862
Thu, 04-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Well, to tell you the truth, I saw this thread as the most recently updated one in this section, so I thought I'd stop by.

DO
Sat, 04-25-2009, 01:53 PM
I am super gay.

dragonrage
Wed, 05-13-2009, 02:16 PM
I am super gay.

Finally the truth comes out, I guess the brown shorts and the GYM finally made you realise and come to terms with it......

Psyke
Wed, 07-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Instead of awards, how about a Gotwoot Hall of Fame? There can be good or bad taglines for people past, present, or future. I can already think of a few, who can be inducted straightaway, or possibly for a vote.

Archangel
Thu, 10-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Instead of awards, how about a Gotwoot Hall of Fame? There can be good or bad taglines for people past, present, or future. I can already think of a few, who can be inducted straightaway, or possibly for a vote.

Something like what Deafire suggested in the other thread, member of the month