PDA

View Full Version : Terra's Band 2008 (LAST ONE I SWEAR!)

Terracosmo
Wed, 07-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Hey again guys! I couldn't find my old thread for some reason and I didn't want to bump the last post in it so that you'd miss the important info in the opening post. So I'm creating a new one. I'm a bitch like that! :D

So once again I want to share my musical misadventures with you guys! Because I like you even though I'm fairly inactive these days!

And I want to announce that I feel like I FINALLY have appeared on an EP/demo which I am proud of. The two previous ones have both been "meh", although the second was better than the first. Since then we switched vocalist and bassist and now we have a nice line-up. We also got ourselves a nice studio!

I'd say that the vocals is still our biggest problem and in this case it's because our vocalist has only been singing seriously for a few months. But he's gotten quite far in that short time and the general concensus is that he has good potential which I promise you that he'll realize down the road! But regardless I think that this is a really strong demo and it seems like many others think so as well, so I'd love to hear your thoughts!

You can listen to it at our MySpace: http://myspace.com/541rock

BUT I'd rather you'd download the entire EP in top quality from our FTP! The direct link to it is http://541rock.com/NEUROTICDISORDER.zip - this is entirely free and I'D REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate if you guys could spread this link as much as you can. Help me become big and I'll reward you all with infinite pepsi! Or coke! It's not really an issue!

THAT'S...

http://541rock.com/NEUROTICDISORDER.zip

ALSO I have another treat for you. We had some extra time in the studio so we recorded a cover of LUNA SEA's song ROSIER (CLASSIC j-rock anthem, check it out on youtube if you haven't heard it). This cover can be heard by downloading it directly as well:

http://541rock.com/SAIROSIER.zip

Not to sound like a whore, but I think this is the best cover of ROSIER ever recorded by an UNSIGNED band (don't know how many recordings there are out there, but if YouTube is any indication...)

Alright enough blabbering. Please check the stuff out and humor me!

Love, TERRACOSMO-CHAN

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-24-2008, 03:18 AM
You're right. The vocal is easily the weakest link in this demo. He's got a long way to go, but should work out well in due time, the way you described it.

I see Arian did most of the composing? Because I like his style, and in particular the theme of In Chaos.

Congratulations on completing an even more impressive demo Terra!! It is indeed one you should feel proud of. :D

Terracosmo
Thu, 07-24-2008, 05:28 AM
Indeed, he's gonna get his ass whipped!

Yep, Arian is the main composer... a genius if you ask me.

And thanks! :D

Shadow Skill
Thu, 07-24-2008, 06:21 AM
Hey Terra, been awhile, but nice to see you've got something awesome going for you. Excellent song and nice you gave us your first EP. :)

Don't forget any of us when you become famous. :P

Terracosmo
Thu, 07-24-2008, 09:43 AM
No probs, it's my pleasure showing this EP to you guys... I'm not online as much as I used to be for various reasons but I'll never forget all the good GW times *cheesy music*.

And of course you will all receive VIP passes at all future gigs!

...as long as you spread this EP to everybody you know! ;)

David75
Thu, 07-24-2008, 01:12 PM
There are problems with the voice.... way of recording/mixing.

For some reason the voice seem distant and maybe the microphone has a problem?

For the 3 first tracks, I had to butcher the EQ to try and get a better idea of the voice.
Then there was the forth were the vocalist really shows he's not on par with the musicians...
Globally the music is great.

Seems like the recording is done "live" or something like that, focusing on improving the voice recording/mixing will make your tunes more confortable. The other interrest is for the vocalist to clearly understand were he should improve...

Ryllharu
Thu, 07-24-2008, 03:41 PM
It's almost certainly a problem with the recording or the mic. I agree with david, it sounds like the entire song was recorded at once. It gives it a really nice "live" feeling, but that unfortunately always drowns out the vocals.

I have a few recordings from a punk band I knew from about 5 years ago, and the sound issues appear there too. The recordings were direct from the venues they were playing at.

I'm not a recording studio tech, so I can't tell you how to solve the issue.

Other than that, the tracks are good, you guys have definitely been making a lot of progress from when you first starting whoring your music to the gotwoot community.

Loved the intros on In Chaos and Lunatic Moon (probably my favorite song of the bunch).

Keep up the good work.

Terracosmo
Thu, 07-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Hmm, did you listen only on MySpace or download the EP? I know that on MySpace the whole thing sounds a bit distant (not just the vocals) due to the very butchered quality. Other than that I don't know what's up, we worked with a sound tech who knows his stuff and I don't personally think it sounds like a live recording in any way (and I have too much experience with the horrors of directly-recorded-from-live-sound XD).

And yes, vox-dude knows what he has to work on and he will!

Thanks again dudes and don't forget to spread the goods. :D
(Lunatic Moon is my favorite too btw)

NM
Thu, 07-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Hmm, I don't see this as being the last of your Band threads Terra (how many has it been?). :p

I checked out some of the stuff you have on your bands myspace and I liked what I heard. Vocals did sound a bit off as everyone else mentioned...but I'm downloading the songs from the FTP for keeping. :D

The intro you guys did for In Chaos is friggin' awesome man. I hope this is the moment you were looking for! Keep us updated.

KrayZ33
Thu, 07-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Wow nice

Lunatic Moon is my favorite so far, especially the part 1:20-1:50 sounds pretty awesome
you could say that I love that part ^^

ah and just heard the intro of "In Chaos"... its good too!

could imagine myself hearing that intro while playing Need for Speed or some other racing game ^^ (the whole song wouldn't fit, but the first minute certainly does, hehe)

maybe it sounds funny but the intro of that song makes me see a guy, riding through the countryside at a gallop :)
@ 1:00-1:44 (http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=_PdH6764qzI)

Lucifus
Thu, 07-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Wow; I'm genuinely surprised. Lunatic Moon was incredibly sick. That vocalist needs some help though.

Terracosmo
Fri, 07-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Hmm, I don't see this as being the last of your Band threads Terra (how many has it been?). :p

I think this is the 3rd and yes you are probably right XD

Well guys thanks for the compliments, I'm glad that you find the songs as a whole to be good enough to listen to despite our vocalist not being up to par with the music. If you ask me he's still very much listenable, but I think his inability shines in another way when the rest of the music is of a higher quality. I can't wait for our next recording when I'll be able to see how he's developed (it's harder to notice that when you hear him performing live and so on due to the not as crystal clear sound).

David75
Fri, 07-25-2008, 11:22 AM
I think this is the 3rd and yes you are probably right XD

Well guys thanks for the compliments, I'm glad that you find the songs as a whole to be good enough to listen to despite our vocalist not being up to par with the music. If you ask me he's still very much listenable, but I think his inability shines in another way when the rest of the music is of a higher quality. I can't wait for our next recording when I'll be able to see how he's developed (it's harder to notice that when you hear him performing live and so on due to the not as crystal clear sound).

With a very low budget, maybe your vocalist can try to record the songs at home if he has room for that. It can be a bit tricky to mix after because he won't have a recorder with timecode... but I think it"ll be better for many reasons, like training for the first one. To catch up with you musicians, he needs 2 hours of training for every hour he spends singing with you playing at the same time. So the best would be he has the band's track, no voice, and he trains/records at home.
Second step would be, if he really gets better, to record his voice alone in studio. Then mix it with the music so that you're able to adapt the levels the best possible way.

Ryllharu
Fri, 07-25-2008, 03:31 PM
If you ask me he's still very much listenable, but I think his inability shines in another way when the rest of the music is of a higher quality.
Especially in comparison to the drums...
:p

We'll be here when you're ready to make a new thread.

I will say that I'm glad the tracks are not equalized to hell followed by jacking the levels up like the crap the RIAA cranks out here. The dynamic range is still there.

Terracosmo
Fri, 07-25-2008, 07:05 PM
I didn't say that part about the drums, but if that's what you think then I won't stop you! ;)

True that. Well at the end of the day, a demo is a demo! We'll be aiming even higher next time around.

BurnHavoc
Sun, 07-27-2008, 08:27 PM
downloads no worky, but by the sounds of the myspace stuff you guys are pretty damn awesome =D my kinda music too

Terracosmo
Mon, 07-28-2008, 08:47 PM
downloads no worky, but by the sounds of the myspace stuff you guys are pretty damn awesome =D my kinda music too

Thanks my man!

Yeah, the links are currently down. I've redirected the download banner at MySpace to an emergency FTP. Check back there and click if you want it downloaded (which you want! *commanding you*).

BurnHavoc
Wed, 07-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Pimped it out on a few other forums too. The best way to spread the love is word of mouth (though I guess it would be word of fingers... that sounds dirty)

Terracosmo
Wed, 07-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks Burn! Yes, you're absolutely right. If every person who hears this EP tells somebody then all of a sudden a damn lot has heard about us! That's just perfect! Just like in the old days. ;) Keep up the good work my good sir!

BTW all links are working again now so if you need them for anything then go crazy.

ALSO if you guys can spare a moment to visit our website (http://541rock.com) and Become a member (very fast and easy process) I'd be very happy. :)

BurnHavoc
Thu, 07-31-2008, 04:51 PM
Oh a few other suggustions:

Since you're giving away that first EP for free, you might want to look into putting it up as a torrent on several sites, places like Demonoid will make a news announcment for you with linkage. Also see what shoutcast/icecast/internet radio stations around will play it (if it's they're style of music). Places like Chronix Aggression would work.

Lucifus
Thu, 07-31-2008, 05:19 PM
Pretty sick website, I gotta say. Dawn was the perfect choice as well.

Terracosmo
Thu, 07-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the info Burn, I'll look into it. We're trying to whore ourselves out pretty much everywhere!

And thanks Lucifus. Dawn however wasn't chosen, it's random play (if you refer to the website player).

XanBcoo
Fri, 08-01-2008, 12:22 AM
4thing (or 5thing) that Lunatic Moon is the best of this batch - it would be perfect if the singer had a little more edge in his voice. I'd definitely go to one of y'all's shows if I could.

Your drumming has gotten so much tighter, Terra, I'm impressed.

Terracosmo
Fri, 08-01-2008, 09:45 AM
4thing (or 5thing) that Lunatic Moon is the best of this batch - it would be perfect if the singer had a little more edge in his voice. I'd definitely go to one of y'all's shows if I could.

Your drumming has gotten so much tighter, Terra, I'm impressed.

Yes, we're whipping him even harder now!

Thanks! I've been practicing a lot especially on being in time. :D

Terracosmo
Tue, 11-18-2008, 03:25 PM
As someone predicted, I'm back again with more shameless plugging!!
But not a new thread!

I wanted to tell you that our new single is out now and I have to say we're definitely heading in the right direction, both sound and vocals are very much improved. Check it out! (http://541rock.com)

ALSO!!! In even more important news. We're actually playing in the UK and Belgium next year so if any fellow europeans are around (I think I recollect at least some of the good ol' dudes being european) then it would be great to meet up along with these shows. Get to hang out with the ol' sexfiend! Hell yeah!

XanBcoo
Tue, 11-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Guess there's no hope for an American tour at this point, is there? :(

Nadouku
Tue, 11-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Freaking awesome, I'm lovin' Lunatic Moon as well. Keep up the great work! :)

David75
Tue, 11-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Dates and places, UK and Belgium are quite easy to reach from Paris.

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 11-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Good to see you found a competent vocalist, you're sounding way better. The mix is pretty tight too, who mixes your songs?

Keep the JMetal alive.

Ryllharu
Tue, 11-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Awesome Terra, much improved all around. Keep up the good work!

Kraco
Tue, 11-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Good work, Terra. Not quite melodic enough for me personally, but all the technical properties are certainly there, vocalist included like the blasphemer above said. Good luck out there in the UK and Belgium.

David75
Tue, 11-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Indeed the mixing is great. With some nice playing with the stereo.

The vocalist is better, at least in synch. There are still some times when he gets out of it.
Also at times his voice is a bit too flat for something, as if the voice lacked some depth or range. I don't know if with some practice he can extract some particularities in his voice, work on them and create his own uniqueness and signature.

The music has also improved a lot, is precise, very detailed and at times subtle maybe?
There were some variations that were interresting can't explain it well.
That's again why the voice has to match in the depth and precision to cope with the rest of the band. I guess it's very hard for him, but he should also measure the chance he has to have such great musicians with him. Have him work even more!

In fact it has probably been said before but everyone improved at the same time, so the vocalist still has the same difference to overcome.

But overall it's Incredible!

XanBcoo
Tue, 11-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Your bass player looks like a character right out of Naruto.

Also at times his voice is a bit too flat for something, as if the voice lacked some depth or range.
I heard this too, particularly in the verses of Avantgarde. Not that it really detracts from the song as a whole, it's just something I noticed.

darkshadow
Tue, 11-18-2008, 07:35 PM
ahh belgium, if you would come to amsterdam i prolly would attend. Anyway good luck with that micro european tour =D

Terracosmo
Wed, 11-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys, glad to hear you agree with us when it comes to the progress.

Oh and for those who didn't realize, this IS indeed the same vocalist who performed on our last EP (NEUROTIC DISORDER), and if you compare those two and take into account that it's only 4 months between... then, well, you might agree with me when I say that I believe in him! Of course he still has quite a distance to walk but he's starting to turn into a true vocalist.

As for the mixing/mastering, this was recorded in a studio with professionals (we did invest quite a hefty sum in it) as opposed to our last EP which was recorded at a friend's home studio, hence the increase in overall quality.

As for the dates:

Belgium: 1st May, Brussels - Venue: Animansion
The UK: 17th October, Derby (Midlands) - Venue: J-CultureCon

We're looking into adding some extra dates around both gigs, would be a shame to just visit each country for one single show.

We have actually gotten offers about playing in the US, but we feel it's a bit too early. It's probably something we'll look into in 2010. We're hoping to score a management/label during 2009 which would help tremendously with the promotion.

Booya!

XanBcoo
Wed, 11-19-2008, 09:23 PM
I don't care where you end up playing if you do come to America, I would travel there to see you guys perform.

(Also please come play in Texas please I really can't drive that far and don't want to have to take a plane)

Terracosmo
Thu, 11-20-2008, 01:59 AM
That would be awesome!

Hilariously Texas is one of the states where we have a street team, so it's not impossible. The offer came from Florida, however...

David75
Thu, 11-20-2008, 01:24 PM
For the vocalist, if he doesn't yet, maybe he can take classes to learn how to use his voice, get it to be stronger etc... 1 or 2 hours a week could do the trick with a good teacher.
I don't know if there's a conservatoire or opera-house nearby. Even classical can help since after all what matters is voice control. And after all opera singer learn power, control and repeatability without having voice problems.

Any solution enabling him to overcome the wall he'll soon meet working on his own, again if he doesn't have classes already.

I guess it's the right time since he's been serious enough to get there and everyone get more and more pro.

Alhuin
Thu, 11-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Really liking the music. Can't really comment on any of the technical aspects, but I can definitely sense the improvement of the vocals from the first EP release, and the latest. I don't really have a favourite; I like them all. Looking forward to hearing more.

Sapphire
Fri, 11-21-2008, 07:19 AM
Oh dang! This is pretty badass. Congrats

PS - You guyz look sexy

Terracosmo
Sat, 11-22-2008, 09:21 PM
For the vocalist, if he doesn't yet, maybe he can take classes to learn how to use his voice, get it to be stronger etc... 1 or 2 hours a week could do the trick with a good teacher.
I don't know if there's a conservatoire or opera-house nearby. Even classical can help since after all what matters is voice control. And after all opera singer learn power, control and repeatability without having voice problems.

Any solution enabling him to overcome the wall he'll soon meet working on his own, again if he doesn't have classes already.

I guess it's the right time since he's been serious enough to get there and everyone get more and more pro.

Yeah, he's already taking classes. It's been immensely helpful, mostly because on the last EP he sung more with his throat (newbie mistake) but now he uses his entire body. With even more lessons he will hopefully become really good at the technical aspects of singing soon enough. :D

Terracosmo
Tue, 03-31-2009, 09:53 AM
I know that I mostly post these days to whore my band, but I seriously couldn't forgive myself if I didn't tell you guys that WE HAVE RELEASED OUR FIRST MUSIC VIDEO! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAMOJM0Of4o

Please check it out! You get to see Terra moving around!

Well hope everyone's doing good :)!

David75
Tue, 03-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Amazing, talk about a non linear progression... Skyrocketing towards awesomeness!

I want a live in Paris, under the Eifel Tower, and I want it NOW! :D :D

(There's the "Fête de la musique" 06/21/09 in Paris for example ;) )

Long Live SAI !

itadakimasu
Tue, 03-31-2009, 11:26 AM
that was a cool video... although i don't have any speakers / headphones atm !

Nadouku
Tue, 03-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Nice, it sounds awesome. :D

Paulyboy
Tue, 03-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Wow you guys changed the vocals I remember the first terra band thread, and the vocals were crazy. Looks like you guys are about to "move on up"! Maybe see your asses on MTV.

Archangel
Tue, 03-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Overall impression: Good

Shit not so good: Not enough Terra

I like the music, downloading the mp3 right now

Terracosmo
Tue, 03-31-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks my mates, really appreciate it!

Hopefully things keep advancing. Would be totally sweet to play around in the world and meet up with the lot of you :D

Xelbair
Tue, 03-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Camera movement annoys me deeply in this video, but music is pretty good - not in my tastes but pretty good. And your vocalist looks weird to me - something between emo-guy and fat emo-girl... but looks dosen't matter - if he is the same guy from neurotic disorder he made huge improvement(i can listen to him instead of holding my hands to prevent ripping my ears).
Thank god that you are not another Gorgoroth...

Buffalobiian
Tue, 03-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Holy Cow!! You guys are climbing the ladder like crazy now. Damn them for not showing enough of Terra though :mad:

Keep it up!! -> ripping the HD clip from YouTube :D

Aclypze
Wed, 04-01-2009, 11:58 PM
I usually don't sign into gotwoot anymore, but instead just browse around the threads. But I felt like I had to give my props. This is a big improvement from your old two! I actually put the songs on my ipod :D The vocals sounds a little off to me, but other than that I really enjoyed everything else! Keep up the awesomeness and believe in me who believes in you! But like what everyone else said NOT ENOUGH TERRA in the mv.

David75
Thu, 04-02-2009, 02:39 AM
I usually don't sign into gotwoot anymore, but instead just browse around the threads. But I felt like I had to give my props. This is a big improvement from your old two! I actually put the songs on my ipod :D The vocals sounds a little off to me, but other than that I really enjoyed everything else! Keep up the awesomeness and believe in me who believes in you! But like what everyone else said NOT ENOUGH TERRA in the mv.

There's always room for improvement.
But seems to me that now they're ready to skyrocket, provided they can continue to follow their skyrocketing improvement.

Regarding the video:
Yup the camera shaking makes you a bit dizzy, some transitions can be "bettered" but you have to keep room for creativity. One learns from that too.

regarding the vocals, it's way much uber better than it was. You could say the instruments are still beating the crap out of the vocals, but even if it's a bit low in volume, not very charismatic yet, it does its job. Same here, if he can improve as much as he did in the last few months, that'll be incredible.

Power ups are to come, I hope ;)

Ciao

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-02-2009, 05:51 AM
I just visited your Space. If word out there is as fast as it is here, you guys should get signed up by a record company in the near future I hope. Best of luck, and looking forward to your next update! :D

David75
Thu, 04-02-2009, 06:26 AM
I wonder if it's easy to enter iTunes...

Archangel
Thu, 04-02-2009, 08:18 AM
I wonder if it's easy to enter iTunes...

That would be pretty pointless until they've really made it big

Youtube should suffice for now

Psyke
Thu, 04-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Don't forget us when you're famous Terra. :p

Archangel
Fri, 04-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Don't forget us when you're famous Terra. :p

He already has :(

KitKat
Sat, 04-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Nice, Terra! I add +1 to the 'not enough Terra in the vid' crowd.

Looking forward to your next video and subsequent world tour :D

Kraco
Sat, 04-04-2009, 02:04 PM
This certainly was the kind of a video that if seen on TV wouldn't immediately make you think what it's doing there on air. There were some things I'd have done differently (as if I was any video expert), like the repetition that was slightly bothering me.

The music isn't nearly melodic enough for me, but like the others have already said, you dudes have surely progressed very nicely. Good work. Keep going.

Terracosmo
Thu, 04-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks everybody! Really appreciate the comments and feedback. ;*

About the shaky camera: it's sorta like a "compensation for stale footage", we were a bit unlucky 'cuz the video was filmed by a different (worse) guy than who ended up editing it (we switched half-way 'Cuz the first guy's editing wasn't very good). And the second guy, who made this video look dreamy in quality, was a bit more picky with clips (good thing) and due to the way it was originally filmed there are a lot of stale shots. So the shaky camera stuff is basically to spice it up. Suffice to say it's really a matter of taste regarding if it's too much or cool, but it's definitely something that won't be around in our next video in any case. It's too bad a lot of my AWESOME CLIPS got the cut but I actually have some gifs from unused scenes that I could upload. They look pretty damn sweet!

Regarding Itunes and MySpace etc. Yes growth is pretty good on the INTARWEB and locally as well, but Sweden is a pretty hard land to get signed in due to there being waaaay to many bands and stuff. And metal/indie is kinda what gets signed now. But our plan is this, we're going to push on and get bigger and better. And in November we're actually recording our debut album! We've all improved like hell (keep in mind that the song in the video was already 6 months old when the video was released!) so can't wait to get that thing out. And if we get signed before we release it, then sure, that's nice... but if we don't, we're gonna sell it on Itunes and stuff. We figure that sooner or later some label (Swedish or foreign) will drop by, since things are constantly moving in the right direction. :)

Oh btw I'm counting on all of you to buy the album when it's out! Whenever that is. I'll try and put in a bonus for you!... like... an autograph! Oh I don't know...

Thanx again and stay safe y'all ;)

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-09-2009, 11:37 PM
I actually have some gifs from unused scenes that I could upload. They look pretty damn sweet!

Please do!

Terracosmo
Tue, 05-12-2009, 07:20 PM
So I kinda forgot about the gifs but I got something cooler, where I'm actually visible!

It's our drum & bass solo, live in Belgium!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRnb_g9KHSk&feature=channel_page

Check it out! It's funky! :D

Archangel
Tue, 05-12-2009, 07:28 PM
I've been listening to your single Avantgarde for a while now, it's like on my top 10 most played songs on my mp3. Seriously, good work.

As my reward for being such a groupie, login on gotwoot irc and be as epic as the legends say you were

Terracosmo
Tue, 05-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Is that so? Cool to hear, man!
You'll totally enjoy our debut album which is due December then.
It will be better in all possible ways!

I'll definitely visit IRC one of these days. I was going to do so recently but then it turned out the program was gone (I have a new PC!) and after downloading it I couldn't remember server/channel names. :(

Archangel
Tue, 05-12-2009, 08:05 PM
You guys remind me of a mix of Black Tide and 3 Days Grace, and those are 2 of my favorite bands

Be sure to post when it's out or i'll be sure to forget about it, my memory is awesome like that

Well if you have java in your pc just this link should work

http://www.gotwoot.net/irc/

XanBcoo
Tue, 05-12-2009, 11:22 PM
So I kinda forgot about the gifs but I got something cooler, where I'm actually visible!

It's our drum & bass solo, live in Belgium!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRnb_g9KHSk&feature=channel_page

Check it out! It's funky! :D
Your bassist is much paler and fatter than I had previously assumed.

Looks like you're having a lot of fun. Very cool.

Nadouku
Wed, 05-13-2009, 01:18 AM
Sounds very savvy. I like it!