PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 2.0

itadakimasu
Mon, 07-14-2008, 07:51 PM
I looked on ebay earlier and the first iphone 2.0 I saw was $1150.00...

Does anybody have any idea? Alot of others were selling for $800, I don't understand. even w\out the discount pricing they are selling for around $600 tops retail.

i'm going to get one (hopefully) but I have to wait until the 25th when i'm eligible for a phone upgrade to get it at the discounted $300 for the 16gb; this is of course if they have any at that time.

I know i wouldn't pay $1000 for an iphone.

Animeniax
Mon, 07-14-2008, 11:50 PM
The country is in recession with a lot of financial turmoil and people line up for hours to buy a new phone. What is that matter with you people?

Assertn
Tue, 07-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Hyper-consumerism is the best thing for a struggling economy.

Animeniax
Tue, 07-15-2008, 11:12 PM
That or fixing the fundamental problems with the economy.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-15-2008, 11:34 PM
That or fixing the fundamental problems with the economy.

That while fixing the fundamental problems of the economy.

Animeniax
Wed, 07-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Sure we can continue to support this kind of economic policy. We can call this the iPhone bubble. Buyers are willing to pay a premium for the phone, so sellers will raise the price as high as they can, causing prices to skyrocket while the intrinsic value of the phone remains the same, all while further weakening the buying power of the dollar. Then someone will discover a flaw in the phone or components from Taiwan will experience a shortage, causing investors to panic and sell their shares, causing the bubble to burst again and the economy to fall further into the gutter.

This brings to mind:
Recession-Plagues Nation Demands New Bubble to Invest In (http://www.theonion.com/content/news/recession_plagued_nation_demands)

itadakimasu
Wed, 08-06-2008, 11:37 AM
I ordered mine last night :)

Going to get the 16gb white one... although i'll probably want to get a case which will likely cover the white part. owell. they said 7-10 days and it will be there, its going to be a drastic upgrade from my current phone.

Archangel
Wed, 08-06-2008, 12:00 PM
So how much was it dude?

Assassin
Wed, 08-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Im planning on getting the Samsung Instinct instead....not that i dont like the iphone, i just dont wanna be an iwhore like every other young adult out there (no offense)

Carnage
Wed, 08-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Yeah Im probably going to get the Dare. I've heard good things about it. Although I like the size and shape of the Instinct a lot more....

darkshadow
Thu, 08-07-2008, 12:34 AM
ill prolly get a htc touch daimond pro in september

Koyuki
Thu, 08-07-2008, 03:53 PM
darkshadow: Oh, I like that one, but I heard that HTC was kinda slow with windows mobile. Have you tried anyone of them before?

I got the first iPhone. It's pretty neat especially with the 2.0 software, but GPS would be sweet. Very useful when I'm driving or traveling. If they upgraded the camera I would've changed, the 2 mp camera sucks. I'll probably wait for the Google phone.

Stitch
Tue, 08-12-2008, 09:34 AM
lol wow you guys that are too concerned about being iwhores are totally punk

rock on!

as for the economy being in recession or whatever, who gives a shit. a loaf of bread doesn't exactly cost a million dollars yet and there are still rich people walking all over poor people the last time i checked. suck it up

Animeniax
Tue, 08-12-2008, 09:39 AM
You talk an awful lot like a dude. I hate online trannies.

My sister got an iPhone and I've held it and I wasn't that impressed. I've never been big on the entire super-handset trend though, so it's no surprise. I haven't spent my stimulus check yet ($600), but when I do, it won't be on a phone.

Carnage
Tue, 08-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Im reconsidering, the HTC Touch Diamond pro looks amazing. Anyone have any clue as to how expensive its going to be with or without the 2 year contracts.

darkshadow
Tue, 08-12-2008, 05:05 PM
€585 euro.

Carnage
Tue, 08-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Well fuck, is there any chance that the price is going to lower with a contract, like with the iphone?

itadakimasu
Wed, 08-13-2008, 09:32 AM
I got mine 2 days ago !!!!!

its my birthday present from my wife. I got the 16gb white one :) it is so cool !

but really, i haven't even put any music or videos on it. And i'm not impressed w\ the battery life, but really if you're surfing the internet and what not and using your phone for other things what do you expect

also, funny note that the first thing i saw when I opened up the browser was a story on yahoo about people complaining about reception and dropped calls, i haven't had any but i have seen on a few occasions zero bars.

for people who can get the discount price its amazing, it was $335 w\ tax and i've seen people selling the same model on ebay for $1000-1500 back toward launch day

Stitch
Tue, 08-19-2008, 08:08 AM
I don't know about the first generation iPhone, but the iPhone 3G has the worst battery life of any cellular phone I've ever used.

itadakimasu
Fri, 08-22-2008, 10:32 AM
agreed,

My first a couple charges were gone in no time at all.. I adjusted a setting for Data Fetch and that seems to have made the battery last alot longer since its not automatically looking for new emails every few minutes.

I still haven't got anything put on my iphone, i tried loading an app and it prompted for an itunes login which i don't have and haven't got yet.

also tried loading a video file into itunes to no avail, haven't really messed w\ it that much.

*also, i've noticed a few times the presence of no signal bars, and when i load my contacts (all 10-15 of them!) there is a lag before it lets me access any of them.

David75
Sat, 12-27-2008, 10:56 AM
back from the dead, with personal experience.

I offered a Iphone 3G to my dad.
He loves it.

One day he loses it... he hurries and buys a new one, 15 minutes later all of his contacts, tasks and calendar events are back and he can work again. He loved that fact... it is his first "smartphone", he even uses youtube and browses the web when he fears a keyboard and never ever tried a pc his whole life.

Oh, and his iPhone was to be found 1 hour after he bought the new one... so I got one for free...

Now I've been using it quite a bit.
I thought the loss of a keyboard would be my biggest problem, in fact the soft keyboard isn't as bad as it was when I tried it on a first gen iPhone. It's not as good as a HTC round keys keyboard, but good enough even for my appointment and calendar uses.

In fact the greater loss in the voice recognition for contacts. I'm in my car most of the day, and being able to just press my bluetooth headset once and speak the name of the contact to call them is Godsend in my case... but the iPhone doesn't have this functionnality and it's a bit hellish for me.

But, I love the way it goes on the internet, it's much quicker than any handheld device I've ever tried. It's not just about bandwidth, it's also the way you browse pages that makes the experience quicker.
And a little jailbreak, some settings, and you can hook your laptop and use an unlimited 3G access directly on a laptop. I get around 250-300KB/s and enough parellel queries for it to be very quick for a laptop connected anywhere (though speed may drop far from Paris, will test it this week end I guess)

The ipod function is fine, my 400 hours only personal collection only takes around 1.2GB, but I'm not a music lover so I hardly use it. It's nice to have it while waiting for a meeting and I'm bored browsing...

To summ it up, some losses and some great improvements.

I'll see what Googlephone Gen 2 will get us (gen 1 is not there yet and I think gen2 will be the next think to wait for)