PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 wireless controller on PC

Animeniax
Sun, 07-06-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm trying to use my Xbox 360 wireless controller on my PC running Windows XP. The driver offered by Microsoft is only for the wired controller or the wireless receiver, not the wireless controller. Does anyone know if a driver is available for this controller? Thanks in advance,

darkshadow
Sun, 07-06-2008, 04:17 PM
i got a driver with my wired controller,
but try this:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=Gaming
then just select 360 controller, your os and such, and it should come up with the Accessories Software 1.1

Animeniax
Sun, 07-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Yep that's the driver I downloaded, but it only works for wired controllers or the wireless receiver. I googled some more and it seems the Xbox 360 wireless controller actually requires the receiver in order to work. The USB cable is only for power. The Xbox360 has a built-in wireless receiver, but your PC doesn't. So now it's a question of whether to spend $20 for a Microsoft receiver, $20 on a Logitech gamepad, or $30 for a wired controller that can also be used for the XBox360.

darkshadow
Mon, 07-07-2008, 10:06 AM
oh sry, i misread, i thought you had the wireless receiver.
the wireless controller will only work on pc with the wireless receiver, just plugging in the usb wont do any good.

Animeniax
Mon, 07-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Yeah that seems to be the case, since the wireless controller relies on the built-in wireless receiver in the XBox360. Most of us assumed the usb cable provided signal as well as power, but that's not true. It literally is a full-time wireless controller.