PDA

View Full Version : Would You Kill Your Best Friend to Make your Greatest Wish Come True?

lelouch
Tue, 06-24-2008, 06:16 AM
Basically what the title explains. Also, you are guaranteed that nobody would know that you killed him/her. I got the idea from the question game forum, and I decided to bring it out to the open to see what other people's opinions were. I got this idea from the Naruto anime when Itachi kills his best friend for near-ultimate power.

Would you kill your best friend if it in return, your greatest personal wish was granted? By personal wish I mean it would have to be something that benefits only you, not anyone else.

I thought long and hard about this one, and eventually I came up with the answer that no, I would not. Why? Because I don't own the life I would be paying with. I like to treat my neighbors the way I like to be treated, and I wouldn't want someone paying with my life to obtain something without my consent, especially my best friend.

What are your thoughts?

Kraco
Tue, 06-24-2008, 07:09 AM
You can't kill your best friend for personal profit. Cases that allow killing a friend are quite rare in general. By definition a friend is someone you feel attached to, who is not hostile, and whom you would by default like to help. The only case where you could kill a friend is when he wishes for that himself, and it would be thus an act of mercy, a coup de grâce.

So, you cease to consider the person a friend, not to mention a best friend, if you attempt to kill him for personal profit. Thus, you aren't actually killing your best friend, just a person you know.

Semantics aside, I wouldn't. It wouldn't be me anymore who did it, as it would assume a change of personality. Still, strange circumstances can change people a lot so nothing's impossible.

XanBcoo
Tue, 06-24-2008, 09:10 AM
The only case where you could kill a friend is when he wishes for that himself, and it would be thus an act of mercy, a coup de grâce.
There's also the case of creating weird topics for a hypothetical situation where no sane person would answer "yes" to.

What's the matter lelouch, were you not satisfied with saman's answer in the Question thread? I'm not trying to kill conversation or anything, but you're basically asking a question as complex as "would you gouge out both your eyes for a free pizza?" What are you really expecting people to say?

Edit to below: I did have an inkling that this was part of some strange justification.

Animeniax
Tue, 06-24-2008, 09:20 AM
I fear this is no hypothetical question for lelouch. It's research before the big occasion. His best friend better watch his back.

Board of Command
Tue, 06-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Yes. Yes I would as long as my wish doesn't require the friend to be alive.

However, at the moment I don't have any wishes great enough to justify it.

Abdula
Tue, 06-24-2008, 12:23 PM
How about if my wish is that my best friend never dies how would that work, because that would benefit me. I couldn't possibly imagine a situation that would require me to kill my best friend. Well not that I couldn't imagine the situation in fact I can think of a few but since he specifically said the only person who can benefit from the wish would be myself it excludes those situations.

Other than that I would gladly sacrifice myself for my best friend , that is if I had one.

Assertn
Tue, 06-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Yeah....this only works if your wishes are selfish ones....

If it was me, I would probably wish to come across incredible amounts of wealth....
Although probably the first thing I would do with that wealth is create a small neighborhood of kickass houses for my friends and I to live in...

Seriously, what's the point of having a dream when you have nobody to share it with?

animus
Tue, 06-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Honestly, atleast for me there is no "Greatest Wish" in this world worth losing your best friend for.

If you do attain your wish, and are alone without him/her, where's the fun in that? Even the smallest dumb shit you can do with such a friend trumps it.

"A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a best friend will be right in jail with you saying how fucking awesome that was." Seemed like a good time for that quote I guess?

Genma
Tue, 06-24-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm not big on friends, and the only person I MIGHT consider a best friend I wouldn't mind killing to make my greatest wish come true.

I'm a selfish person, honestly.

Abdula
Tue, 06-24-2008, 01:53 PM
I understand what you're saying its just that I don't consider those kind of people friends so it doesn't really apply to this situation.

Animeniax
Tue, 06-24-2008, 01:57 PM
What if you wished for 10 new best friends and got that by killing the one? Problem solved.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 06-24-2008, 02:04 PM
I guess it depends for me.

Basically I feel like I am trapped in endless despair, and it is my greatest wish to get out of that (if you rephrase it, finding happiness might fit). If killing my best friend (which is probably one of the last things I would ever want to do) will allow me to attain that wish, then I will do it. The problem here is the content of the matter. What does ending despair/attaining happiness mean? Since that is unclear, or is not even feasible, then my final answer would be a No.

@Animeniax - wait, your greatest wish is to have 10 best friends? You clearly don't understand what the word "best" means. Besides, what's the point? In this case, quantity is not a factor anyway.

Kraco
Tue, 06-24-2008, 02:11 PM
What if you wished for 10 new best friends and got that by killing the one? Problem solved.

To be realistic, whoever offered you such a deal is the mother of all back-stabbing bastards and thus very soon you would likely find one of those 10 new "best friends" sticking a knife between your shoulder blades, because he received a similar offer. Considering how that new friend was gained in the first place, it'd be no less than you deserved to get killed by one of them in turn.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 06-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Well, if the wish to be granted is to exchange the current best friend for 10 new best friends, I don't think they are supposed to, or even capable of betraying you. But then, a best friend relationship is not always mutual. Just because one party believes the other to be his/her best friend does not necessitate the other party to feel the same. I assume that having 10 new best friends means that you gain 10 people that you consider to be your best friends (I still have trouble with this phrasing, but I will accept it for the sake of argument), but they might hate your guts, and kill you for a selfish reason as Kraco proposes.

Sandldan
Tue, 06-24-2008, 02:22 PM
I would kill him then use the wish to resurrect him, just for the lulz

Animeniax
Tue, 06-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Does one act necessarily follow the other? Cause if not, your friend will remain dead, and your ruse is foiled.

Abdula
Tue, 06-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Well he did say that in return for the death of your best friend your greatest wish will be granted and since he got the idea from Itachi then killing your friend comes first and that is the price of your wish being granted. I wonder if the quality of your friendship or the person sacrificed would affect what kind of wish can be granted. For example I don't think anyone would get much for killing Animeniax.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 06-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Hahaha LOL.

I doubt the person to be sacrifice matters at all, as long as that person is your best friend. The conditions are best friend and "greatest wish" after all.

IFHTT
Tue, 06-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Well I will answer this from the opposite side, I think if my best friend were to wish for something bigger than himself, that bettered everyone's lives, I'd be willing to allow him to kill me. I think the same could be said in reverse. As long as the wish isn't a selfish wish and was something that allowed everyone on the planet to benefit from, I think my friend would understand and accept a knife wound to the chest. Anything below that though, I don't think I could agree with. Real friends are just too valuable.

Carnage
Tue, 06-24-2008, 05:46 PM
This thread has given me an idea.

Assertn
Tue, 06-24-2008, 08:27 PM
This thread has given me an idea.
This post has truly inspired me.

Animeniax
Tue, 06-24-2008, 11:14 PM
This post has truly inspired me.
I approve of your inspiration. It is very inspiring.

I think my friend would understand and accept a knife wound to the chest.You'd make him suffer a slow and painful death like that? Some friend you are.

Archangel
Sun, 07-06-2008, 10:09 PM
No, but i would kill my worst enemy just for the hell of it.

TwisT
Mon, 07-07-2008, 08:46 AM
I would do it. My biggest fear is death. Since you cant imagine not existing and i don't believe in a life after death, the only thing left is being trapped in complete darkness. And every time i have been thinking of death that's what pops up. Being trapped for all eternity alone and in complete darkness. So yeah i fear death more then anything. If i could become immortal by killing my best friend i would. And by immortal i mean i cant die by any means. Not decease, not old age, no wounds, nothing! Then i would. Then the only fear would be the sun going super nova and make this part of the universe completely dark, trapping me alone in it ^^

But since immortality don't exist as far as we know, the closest thing to a wish come through would be like Assertn said. Wealth. And like he said, what's the point of being filthy rich if you have nobody to share it with. Every time i have ever dreamed about being rich my best friend is always the first thing that i think about. Without him the motivation to become filthy rich would drop with at least half.

So it depends on how you see it. Yes i would do it for something i know don't exist and that only a genie could grant. But for what does exist in todays world there is nothing that could make me kill my best friend.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Since you cant imagine not existing and i don't believe in a life after death, the only thing left is being trapped in complete darkness. And every time i have been thinking of death that's what pops up. Being trapped for all eternity alone and in complete darkness.

This does not make sense. You say you cannot imagine it (which I agree with), yet you say you imagine it to be a state where you are trapped alone in darkness for eternity.

I do get your point though, but immortality, while no one can be sure, may be one of the worst tortures one can experience.

KrayZ33
Mon, 07-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Since my greatest wish is my greatest wish ,it also includes that all my friends are alive and healthy
so I kill my friend and he will be resurrected just right after doing so...
good game, djinn trapped in the flask, I tricked you!

edit: oh shit I fail.... just read the "only benefits you"-part :P

hmm then.. I guess, I wouldn't do it... especially if it is my best friend after all, but then again, it depends... for example I move to a new country or city and make a friend there, then at the moment, he's my best friend... but he's still some kind of "stranger"..If thats the case, then I might be able to do this crime

If I kill the guy, will I forget that I killed him after making the wish? Or do I have to live with the memory of taking someones life away, who didn't do anything to me?

Animeniax
Mon, 07-07-2008, 09:51 AM
I do get your point though, but immortality, while no one can be sure, may be one of the worst tortures one can experience.
You need to think bigger. If you were immortal, you could travel to the far reaches of space and conquer all the worlds in the universe. That would kick ass.

Really there was no need to revive this thread.

TwisT
Mon, 07-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Yes but not in my mind. In my mind immortality is the salvation from the fear of death. And as far as we humans know, time heals all wounds. You get over the death of your friends and family. You deal with the pain and grief over their deaths but with time it disappears. Sure it leaves scars and even 20-50 years after their deaths you may still remember them and cry but it's not like you do that 24/7.

And even if all the deaths stack up after a while and it becomes torture i wouldn't know that today and would gladly take my immortality.

NOTE: I assumed the torture you where talking about would come from seeing your loved ones die one after another for all eternity since i can't think of anything else making immortality being a curse.

EDIT:

You need to think bigger. If you were immortal, you could travel to the far reaches of space and conquer all the worlds in the universe. That would kick ass.

Really there was no need to revive this thread.

Only problem i have with that would be of how you propel yourself through space and how to navigate. And once you land on a planet and it turns out to be barren and dead, how do you leave the planet and it's gravitation.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Actually, it was from boredom.

One should remember that even if a year or so is short compared to an eternal existence, it does not make time pass by any faster.

Animeniax
Mon, 07-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Only problem i have with that would be of how you propel yourself through space and how to navigate. And once you land on a planet and it turns out to be barren and dead, how do you leave the planet and it's gravitation.Well you would be on a spaceship capable of intergalactic travel.

Actually, it was from boredom.

One should remember that even if a year or so is short compared to an eternal existence, it does not make time pass by any faster.Just because your life sucks now, doesn't mean it would be the same once you're immortal. You could live it up and be daring, and date women and race cars and stuff. It might get boring 1000 years later, but it'd be a blast until then.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Yes, until then... then what?

Once you get bored (probably because you have run out of stuff to do, which undoubtedly you will, being immortal) what then? That is an eternity of boredom for a thousand years of satisfaction. One cannot be sure, but I might not prefer such a fate.

Animeniax
Mon, 07-07-2008, 10:12 AM
It's funny you say that since people often give up a lifetime of happiness for one night of fun. So being bored for a long time isn't worth it for 1000 years of having a great time? I'll worry about the boredom part when I get to it, but I'd enjoy the 1000 years first.

Abdula
Mon, 07-07-2008, 10:15 AM
NOTE: I assumed the torture you where talking about would come from seeing your loved ones die one after another for all eternity since i can't think of anything else making immortality being a curse.

What if I were to capture you and make you my guinea pig and swear an oath that for as long as a member of my family walks the earth we will hunt you down and torture you. Lock you up in a dungeon without any sunlight, and because there is no risk of you dying, we wouldn't even have to feed you or give you water. Then we could take our time and torture you, pull out your fingernails, peal off your skin, burn you alive, remove some organs etc etc. I'm sure in a situation like that you'd wish that you could die, coward.:D

TwisT
Mon, 07-07-2008, 10:16 AM
But i can't be sure of death either but my imaginary version of it consist of the boredom of being trapped in eternal darkness. It's like laying down, closing your eyes in a completely dark room and with the knowledge that you are dead and that you will never be able to open those eyes. You will never hear another voice or another sound for that matter. You will never see anyone else, never be able to talk to anyone. And that will go on for all eternity. Wouldn't that torture be worse then your boredom torture? And that torture is only 5 years to 100 years away. While the borddom torture would be probably 500-5000 years away. I'll take my immortality any day.

What if I were to capture you and make you my guinea pig and swear an oath that for as long as a member of my family walks the earth we will hunt you down and torture you. Lock you up in a dungeon without any sunlight, and because there is no risk of you dying, we wouldn't even have to feed you or give you water. Then we could take our time and torture you, pull out your fingernails, peal off your skin, burn you alive, remove some organs etc etc. I'm sure in a situation like that you'd wish that you could die, coward.:D

Sure i would. But then i have already made my choice. So i can't. And eventually i would get free. Either someone would find me and free me, or i would be able to escape, or your blood line dies out somewhere on the way, or someone of your family feels guilty and stop that oath and frees me (which wouldn't save them because now the tables would turn and i would enjoy all eternity to torture any one connected to your bloodline. And i wouldn't have to worry about some offspring needing to agree and take over the "family business" And at that point i would be glad i was immortal. So in the end i would find a way to feel happiness and pleasure even if i have to redfine what that is ^^

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-07-2008, 10:21 AM
It's funny you say that since people often give up a lifetime of happiness for one night of fun. So being bored for a long time isn't worth it for 1000 years of having a great time? I'll worry about the boredom part when I get to it, but I'd enjoy the 1000 years first.

And those people more often than not regret that one night don't they? It is probably the same situation, only multiplied a million-fold.

Animeniax
Mon, 07-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Regret is a funny thing, it's all how you look at it. Plus if you're immortal, that changes the game entirely.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Like regretting something forever, I guess.

Once you bring up that argument (namely "it's all how you look at it") then further discussion becomes pointless since it can be reduced to such a claim.

PSJ
Mon, 07-07-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm amazed at how this thread turned into some deep conversation about immortality and boredom.

Why immortality? It's better to live a life you are satisfied with. Live your 70-90 years and do everything you want to. When i'm dying i want to feel satisfied with my life and feel that i did everything i ever wanted to do. If you feel bored at an age of 24 you fail big time, get off your ass and do something.

Animeniax
Mon, 07-07-2008, 10:40 AM
If you see eternity and all you can think is that it will suck just like your life sucks now, then you must live one boring and pointless life. With our limited lifespans and mortality, there are too many restrictions to what we can do, and also, limits to what we can get over as far as regrets, so I can't agree with PSJ. Imagine not having any of those limits, and the possibilities are vast. You could do and try anything and everything.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-07-2008, 11:22 AM
If it is an eternal life that I have the choice to end when I see fit, then I agree with your assessment. But being trapped in an immortal body forever not being able to end my life if I ever desire or see the need to do so is similar to the ultimate lack of freedom. Well, that is what I believe anyhow.

Assertn
Mon, 07-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Nothing is forever...not even the universe. What the hell are you going to do once all mortal life is extinguished?

Archangel
Mon, 07-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Nothing is forever...

I disagree... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfYwIFIbCN0)

Abdula
Mon, 07-07-2008, 12:42 PM
That was a nice try Archangel, clever.

Animeniax
Mon, 07-07-2008, 01:42 PM
If it is an eternal life that I have the choice to end when I see fit, then I agree with your assessment. But being trapped in an immortal body forever not being able to end my life if I ever desire or see the need to do so is similar to the ultimate lack of freedom. Well, that is what I believe anyhow.
You could cause yourself brain damage, so your immortal body would live on, but you wouldn't have to experience the agony of it. Unfortunately your soul wouldn't ever rest either, if you believe in that sort of thing.

I disagree... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfYwIFIbCN0)I can't see youtube clips. What is it?

Abdula
Mon, 07-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Shirley Bassey singing "Diamonds are forever"

Animeniax
Mon, 07-07-2008, 01:49 PM
I hear those are the hardest material in the world, and that nothing can break them. They'd definitely survive as long as any immortal person.

Abdula
Mon, 07-07-2008, 01:54 PM
What's the half life of a diamond again, I can't remember, my chemistry teacher would be so disappointed.:o

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-07-2008, 02:10 PM
@Animaniax - refer to BOC's posts on diamonds on the bitching thread for details on the difference between the toughness and hardness of diamonds. Well, wiki works too.

Animeniax
Mon, 07-07-2008, 02:22 PM
I know man, I was kidding in reference to BoC's post.

@Abdula: diamonds have a half-life? I thought that property only applied to elements?

Archangel
Mon, 07-07-2008, 02:30 PM
If this now turns into a physics class i'm gonna kick your ass ani. What's with your weird ability to transform every thread into a shadow of their former selves?? I still remember how the Goofiest Reps suddenly turned into a race debate about the superiority of the asian people xD

Animeniax
Mon, 07-07-2008, 02:48 PM
I failed out of physics twice when I went to university the first time. I think it was a mental block. Why oh why did they require biology majors to take physics?

Half-lives pertain to chemistry anyway, not physics.

Abdula
Mon, 07-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Meh, I was going to do chemistry, physics and biology. God I wish I could go back to school:(

Animeniax
Mon, 07-07-2008, 03:00 PM
It's not impossible. Just have to make some sacrifices. Maybe making your best friend dead will help your wish come true.

Abdula
Mon, 07-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Maybe but like I said before I would have get a best friend first. I think you're suitable for the role if you're willing that is, if not I'll just have to settle for Xan and kill him instead.

TwisT
Mon, 07-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Well my version of immortal was basicly that you regenerate all wounds so brain damage would be impossible. But i guess there is many different versions and views. No matter. I would take it regardless.

But if your body don't regenerate you could get killed by being burned. Unless you would live on as ash. So to me i would regenerate no matter what damage was inflicted. Even if i was reduced to atoms i would just reassemble myself.

Abdula
Mon, 07-07-2008, 04:25 PM

What about this? What about this!

lelouch
Mon, 07-07-2008, 10:53 PM
@archangel, ani, and abdula. Those were all very funny posts (archangel with the youtube clip, ani with the killing your best friend, and abdula with the "needing a best friend first, ani being suitable for the job").

I do believe that half-lives only pertain to elemental isotopes, such as carbon 14 and so forth. However, I could be severely mistaken.

@abdula: You are the reason why I do not drink from the fountain of youth. Hehe.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-07-2008, 11:35 PM
I do believe that half-lives only pertain to elemental isotopes, such as carbon 14 and so forth. However, I could be severely mistaken.

The term half-life is used do describe the rate at which things are broken down or removed. I can be used to describe anything in that regard. By definition, it is the time it takes for half (of the mass) of the matter to be removed. It's commonly used to describe the rate of decay of radioactive materials and the rate of elimination of a drug in the body, to give some examples.

If immortality means I can't die, screw it, it's a curse. If it simply means I won't age, then I'll take it :D

XanBcoo
Tue, 07-08-2008, 12:35 AM
It's not something I would kill any of my best friends for, but I think Immortality would be pretty bitchin. Provided of course that I could end it whenever I wanted to, as shinta|hikari mentioned.

That kinda potential is exciting to me. Also the thought that I only have a limited time in my life is also pretty motivating, considering the things I would want to accomplish given immortality.

Animeniax
Tue, 07-08-2008, 02:06 AM
Well my version of immortal was basicly that you regenerate all wounds so brain damage would be impossible. But i guess there is many different versions and views. No matter. I would take it regardless.

But if your body don't regenerate you could get killed by being burned. Unless you would live on as ash. So to me i would regenerate no matter what damage was inflicted. Even if i was reduced to atoms i would just reassemble myself.
Well if you leave the object inside the brain, it could not regenerate to the point where it would be functional. If there's an axe blade jammed between the lobes of your brain, no matter how much it regenerated, your brain wouldn't work right.

TheBladeChild
Tue, 07-08-2008, 06:48 AM
I wonder if the quality of your friendship or the person sacrificed would affect what kind of wish can be granted. For example I don't think anyone would get much for killing Animeniax.

Sry Ani, but I loled at this one, no offense.

Edit:

@Abdula: diamonds have a half-life? I thought that property only applied to elements?

Diamonds, as with all matter in the universe is ultimately composed of elements. Carbon in this case has a half life of 5730 years.

If this now turns into a physics class i'm gonna kick your ass ani. What's with your weird ability to transform every thread into a shadow of their former selves?? I still remember how the Goofiest Reps suddenly turned into a race debate about the superiority of the asian people xD

Oh just like my thread. :)

David75
Tue, 07-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Well if you leave the object inside the brain, it could not regenerate to the point where it would be functional. If there's an axe blade jammed between the lobes of your brain, no matter how much it regenerated, your brain wouldn't work right.

Along those lines, it sure would be nice to be immortal, but stuck inside a steel coffin, or inside a concrete wall or structure.
You could wait so many years that the coffin/structure or whatever is degradated enough so that you can escape.

Regarding the question of the thread, I have no one I can call a best friend. I have many friends and the like, but nothing as best. Maybe some are better than the others, that's all. And I do not think I'm the best friend for someone. So I guess the question doesn't apply.

I could try to stretch it, into thinking what I would do if I had a best friend, the problem is that I think I do not have the mind structure that qualifies to answer. Having no best friend, I do not know what it is, so it's a bit hard theorize about it.

The other point is the kiling. I guess it's the greatest problem here. Are you able to kill, is the first basic part of the question.
I think I am not able to kill a human being. I can't tell I would'nt be able regardless of the circumstances. Maybe I could be able if I'm incredibly pissed at someone, enough for loosing judgment/reason, but then I'd need something that enables me to kill.
Maybe if faced to a choice beetween my life and the life of someone else. Or the life of someone I hold dear and someone else etc...
But I think that I'm not able to. So I guess I do not qualify, again, for the question.

Archangel
Tue, 07-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Along those lines, it sure would be nice to be immortal, but stuck inside a steel coffin, or inside a concrete wall or structure.
You could wait so many years that the coffin/structure or whatever is degradated enough so that you can escape.

It would take like 100 years or something, you'd be an immortal looney toon at that point

David75
Tue, 07-08-2008, 01:13 PM
It would take like 100 years or something, you'd be an immortal looney toon at that point

Yup, immortal but not protected against mental problems people could create for you with mind torture.
And living forever with the right psychological scars, is living in hell...

Animeniax
Tue, 07-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Wow you guys are really working hard looking for faults with immortality. I guess you're a bunch of "glass half empty" kind of people. All I see are the upsides. Considering this is all fantasy conjecture, why not look at the bright side?

lelouch
Tue, 07-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Considering this is all fantasy conjecture, why not look at the bright side?

Wait... This is fantasy?

*Packs bags, changes name, moves to Mexico.*

KitKat
Tue, 07-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Regarding the question of the thread, I have no one I can call a best friend. I have many friends and the like, but nothing as best. Maybe some are better than the others, that's all. And I do not think I'm the best friend for someone. So I guess the question doesn't apply.
No best friend? But you're married, so doesn't that make your wife your best friend? Or at the very least, someone who you love more than all others, and who cares about you the same way. I can see people with girlfriends seeing this question as not applying, because those relationships can be fairly shallow, but when you make a marriage committment, you choose to spend your life with someone, and that requires all the elements of a strong friendship to make it work.

Animeniax
Tue, 07-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Maybe he's like the Japanese, so it's a marriage of convenience or social standing.

Uchiha Barles
Tue, 07-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Probably just didn't think of his wife as a "friend" even though she probably does fit that best friend description. Semantics, whatever.

I really have no clue if I'd kill my friends or not for my greatest wish. I don't think I know what my greatest wish is. Right now, there's nothing I can think of that would cause me to kill my friends without them knowing it's coming. But in those cases, I'd be killing one or more of them for things that are less than my greatest wish, because I think of wishes several tiers greater than what I'd be killing them for, and none of those involves them dead.

David75
Wed, 07-09-2008, 05:22 AM
No best friend? But you're married, so doesn't that make your wife your best friend? Or at the very least, someone who you love more than all others, and who cares about you the same way. I can see people with girlfriends seeing this question as not applying, because those relationships can be fairly shallow, but when you make a marriage committment, you choose to spend your life with someone, and that requires all the elements of a strong friendship to make it work.

Probably just didn't think of his wife as a "friend" even though she probably does fit that best friend description. Semantics, whatever.

I don't know for semantics, but to me, my wife is my wife. She's more than a best friend per the love committment and the public declaration of the union. Then there's the fact that we share everyday's life and the responsibilities of our household. There's also the fidelity committment that is clearly mentionned in both church and civil wedding. Sexlife is also something different from friendship.
There's some kind of definition to friendship that comes to mind:
"A friend is someone you love, but you know you'll never have sex with"

Clearly my wife does not qualify for the latter part :D

Maybe he's like the Japanese, so it's a marriage of convenience or social standing.

You could always argue that a wedding is always of that kind, since after all the wedding part is publicly announcing you're going to live with another person.
I guess the difference comes from the fact we've choosen each other based on free will and feelings.

Animeniax
Wed, 07-09-2008, 05:57 AM
Don't forget the tax breaks. That's why the gays want marriage rights so bad.

I think seldom is it that your wife and your best friend are the same person. Too many things you can do with one and not the other. Unless you get real lucky and find the girl who somehow likes to watch hockey, go fishing, play video games, and still be able to raise your kids, cook, clean, and stay slim, it just isn't very likely. So happily if you do get a wish fulfilled by killing your best friend, you most likely will still have your wife around. Unless she narcs you out, the skank.

KitKat
Wed, 07-09-2008, 09:44 AM
I don't know for semantics, but to me, my wife is my wife. She's more than a best friend per the love committment and the public declaration of the union.
Hey, then maybe you'd get an even better wish granted for killing her *mischeivous grin*

David75
Wed, 07-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Hey, then maybe you'd get an even better wish granted for killing her *mischeivous grin*

since she's better than what I had whished for the one sharing my life... I really can't even pass the psychological barrier of imagining myself killing another human being. So you'd understand why I can't go where you're headed.

Poor someone sharing your life :eek:

Then there's a second idea:
How about a Greatest Wish that once granted is even better? I guess that means the person didn't really think about their Greatest whish ;)

Junior
Wed, 07-09-2008, 12:50 PM
When I first read this thread, I immediately thought: "YES. YES I WOULD"

And then I realized I wouldn't. My friends do quite a lot for me and they put up with me, so really.

Would not.

Animeniax
Thu, 07-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Yes but you wouldn't need friends to do stuff for you once you get a djinn that magics anything you need done. That would kick ass.

KitKat
Thu, 07-10-2008, 03:10 PM
since she's better than what I had whished for the one sharing my life... I really can't even pass the psychological barrier of imagining myself killing another human being. So you'd understand why I can't go where you're headed.

Poor someone sharing your life :eek:

Hehe, I was just being silly. If I were to answer this question seriously, there's no way I would even consider taking the life of another human being, best friend or anyone. To do so would be to presume to know the value of their life, plus the guilt of having caused someone to die would make me absolutely miserable.

DB_Hunter
Thu, 07-10-2008, 04:31 PM
There is something ever so slightly morbid about this discussion, and leads me to question the psychological state of the the people announcing their intention to kill their 'best friend'.

For what it worth, I wouldn't kill a friend for a wish. I wouldn't even kill someone I don't like for a wish to come true. Its not my right to attain happiness at the cost of someone else's life when they have done no wrong.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Its not my right to attain happiness at the cost of someone else's life when they have done no wrong.

oh, but what if they have? Your friend may have done something unforgivable to you, something that caused such sadness that you can only obtain happiness is to kill him/her?

Animeniax
Thu, 07-10-2008, 11:18 PM
For what it worth, I wouldn't kill a friend for a wish. I wouldn't even kill someone I don't like for a wish to come true. Its not my right to attain happiness at the cost of someone else's life when they have done no wrong.
It's easy to claim you'd never do it because this is just a pointless discussion on an internet forum.

In real life, if faced with having your greatest wish granted, you would not be able to provide an answer so calmly and cleanly. It would trouble your mind for a few days so you couldn't work or be around other people, the shame of even considering such a proposition making it unbearable to even look at your best friend. Your friends would begin talking about you, wondering what was wrong with you, gossiping about you, and you'd overhear them and get paranoid. Then you would stay up nights thinking it over and over and over, until in a sleep-deprived and semi-psychotic state you would somehow justify it to yourself and go through with it.

saman
Thu, 07-10-2008, 11:45 PM
lol wow, ani. you've really given this some thought.

i, however, agree with DB. it's not even really something that i need to think about twice, let alone lose sleep over. probably not even if it was proposed to me in real life. the thought of intentionally hurting someone, good or bad, makes me cringe. the reason is a combination of a few things. mostly, it's similar to TwisT's, though with the opposite effect. the concept of death is so incomprehensible to me that i can't stand the thought of intentionally condemning anyone to that fate. i have no right to do so, and especially if it's for such selfish reasons. also, there's nothing i want badly enough that i would kill my best friend, or anyone really, to get it. not to say that i don't have wishes, just that my greatest wishes aren't something i so desperately want that i could justify killing anyone for them. as for the "they did something to wrong you" argument, if your friend did truly do such a thing, they wouldn't really be your best friend, so they wouldn't be applicable anyway. the only reason i could see myself wanting to kill someone would be if they purposefully killed or otherwise harmed a member of my family.

Animeniax
Thu, 07-10-2008, 11:50 PM
I know it's easy to say what you would or wouldn't do when it's just fanciful supposition. But when faced with these decisions in real life, I think it'd be a lot more difficult to choose.

XanBcoo
Fri, 07-11-2008, 12:53 AM
I think the most I'd do is slowly grow more and more resentful toward any of my friends if I actually faced that decision and turned it down.

"Oh, you can't make it for my birthday...? That's cool I guess..."
:(
"Oh, you forgot to invite me to that party? No problem man...these things...happen..."
:mad:

Those are some drastic examples, but even the little stuff could add up. Under normal circumstances, your best friend not having time to listen to your problems because he's busy is acceptable, but once you've given up your greatest wish for his sake it can be some pretty unforgivable shit. Certainly not something I'd like to imagine myself doing, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Animeniax
Fri, 07-11-2008, 02:02 AM
That shows some balls admitting that could happen. I didn't even think about that side of it, but I know I'd feel the same way. If I gave up my greatest wish for someone's sake, they'd better be worth it. I'm not proud of it, but I think I would want them to know about the deal, so they'd realize how much of a friend I am to them, and how close they came to death.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-11-2008, 02:06 AM
...and how close they came to death.

Lol, sounds like you gave the option some serious thought Ani. If you really want to scare the guy, tell him you can take up the option anytime you want.;)

Kraco
Fri, 07-11-2008, 02:53 AM
I think Xan is also neglecting the fact that if you kept thinking like that, you would actually be severing the friendship bond on your side. Naturally some amount of skepticism is allowed in any relationship but the moment you start to seek reasons to lessen the bond in order to carry out the grim mission, you aren't anymore looking at a best friend, or a friend at all.

If the deal is explicitly for a best friend, it should be carried out soon or totally rejected. If you take time to look for excuses and convince yourself, you have actually already stopped to consider the person a friend and view him/her as a mere tool anymore.

Animeniax
Fri, 07-11-2008, 06:22 AM
I don't know, I think you could still be best friends if you don't put too much weight on the possibilities if you had taken the wish. It would be like if you had a chance to cheat on your wife, but decided not to. You could still be a loving husband and your wife could still be your soulmate, even if there are other chances to cheat.

Abdula
Fri, 07-11-2008, 10:12 AM
There is something ever so slightly morbid about this discussion, and leads me to question the psychological state of the the people announcing their intention to kill their 'best friend'.

Whats this, we discuss hypothetically killing a few people and you gotta call our psychological state into question. You guys really need to get down from your moral high ground. I wish I could see the world like you guys do, from behind a wall of moral boundaries, laws and psychological barriers but I can't and I really don't see the need for any of that to be a part of this discussion.

Saying no, and then going on to discuss everything that is wrong with killing your best friend is rather boring and its just going to kill this thread, the flip side is much more entertaining.

Junior
Fri, 07-11-2008, 02:25 PM
It's easy to claim you'd never do it because this is just a pointless discussion on an internet forum.

In real life, if faced with having your greatest wish granted, you would not be able to provide an answer so calmly and cleanly. It would trouble your mind for a few days so you couldn't work or be around other people, the shame of even considering such a proposition making it unbearable to even look at your best friend. Your friends would begin talking about you, wondering what was wrong with you, gossiping about you, and you'd overhear them and get paranoid. Then you would stay up nights thinking it over and over and over, until in a sleep-deprived and semi-psychotic state you would somehow justify it to yourself and go through with it.

This is totally true for the every day, average person IMO. People can't deal with such big decisions. And even once they've made the choice, in the end, they'll always be like: WHAT IF? WHAT IF I HAD KILLED THIS LOSER AND GOTTEN THAT DAMN WISH?!

I think the most I'd do is slowly grow more and more resentful toward any of my friends if I actually faced that decision and turned it down.

"Oh, you can't make it for my birthday...? That's cool I guess..."

"Oh, you forgot to invite me to that party? No problem man...these things...happen..."

Those are some drastic examples, but even the little stuff could add up. Under normal circumstances, your best friend not having time to listen to your problems because he's busy is acceptable, but once you've given up your greatest wish for his sake it can be some pretty unforgivable shit. Certainly not something I'd like to imagine myself doing, but I wouldn't rule it out.

You've made a great point here. It's amazing how your affinity for someone can rapidly decrease by such things.

D: But I'll admit, I am greedy as hell, but still, I wouldn't give them up. I prefer to work for my rewards in life. =) roflmao.

Uchiha Barles
Fri, 07-11-2008, 06:21 PM
You people scare the living hell out of me. But yeah, I thought some more about it, and it turns out my greatest wish, and even the next few under that, involves my friends being around. I'd have to disagree with the resentment thing. I've been in similar, admittedly less drastic situations, and have made the choice of putting my friends first, and even after things didn't go perfectly with them, there was no resentment as a matter of principle. Your choices are yours to make and I make them usually based on what is, and not what I hope could be, when it comes to other people.

Did I mention you people scare the living shit out of me? Oh I did? good.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-11-2008, 06:29 PM
One thing you'll have to consider besides trading your best friend for a wish is the manner of killing. Is there some supernatural power that'll just obliterate her existence, and no one will remember she existed, or are you going to have to personally slip a blade between their ribs? I think before you ask "Will I kill my best friend for a wish", you first have to ask "Will I kill for my wish."

Abdula
Fri, 07-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Really depends on the wish. I've learned that despite whatever people may or may not think of themselves everyone and I do mean everyone is capable of killing under the right circumstances. You are right though before you can think of killing your best friend for your greatest wish you have to think of whether or not you would be willing to kill for that wish, period. That however depends completely on the wish and the costs/benefits of the wish, but because in this thread the wish you would hypothetically make can only benefit you then I fully expect everyone here to say no.

Did I mention you people scare the living shit out of me? Oh I did? good.
Yeah I get that alot.

XanBcoo
Sat, 07-12-2008, 01:43 AM
I've been in similar, admittedly less drastic situations, and have made the choice of putting my friends first, and even after things didn't go perfectly with them, there was no resentment as a matter of principle.
I've also been in such situations and come out exactly the same. I'm just trying to be realistic here. Frightening, I know, but I like to imagine all the possible outcomes of a hypothetical situation.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-12-2008, 01:52 AM
I'm going to propose slightly different question:

Say both you and your best friend have a prize you both really want. Only one of you can have it, and you're both evenly matched if you're contending for it fairly, whatever that may be. Now you have the option to kill your friend and make your wish come true. Thing is, your friend also has that option.

Would you do it? Will you have faith that your friend won't? If not, will you take his instead?

DB_Hunter
Sat, 07-12-2008, 08:16 AM
As Saman said, its something I would not even have to think twice about. What is right is right, what is wrong is wrong. And being on an internet forum or in real life doesnt change that.

Abdula
Sat, 07-12-2008, 02:17 PM
What is right is right, what is wrong is wrong. And being on an internet forum or in real life doesnt change that.
You're not being serious are you? Right and Wrong is not as simple as black and white.

DB_Hunter
Sat, 07-12-2008, 04:03 PM
I don't know what reality you have in your head when you say that, but the decision to kill someone or not over what is essentially your pleasure is pretty black and white to me.

Animeniax
Sat, 07-19-2008, 02:45 AM
Have any subpoenas been issued for the contents of this thread in a murder trial?

Stitch
Fri, 07-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Would you eat shit with one of the girls in 2 Girls 1 Cup if she promised to fuck your brains out?

I mean, I just thought I'd ask if the point of this thread is to ask a hypothetical question.

To answer my own question: yes.

Abdula
Fri, 07-25-2008, 06:20 PM
You're creepy.

Xelbair
Mon, 08-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Yes i would for omnipotent power and then resurrect him - its simple isnt it? and since i have omnipotent power i would made him omnipotent too for his sacrifice. Well you said wish that benefits me not other ppl - so it is omnipotent power.

and of the second question, if its my best friend i would not kill him but ask him to give prize to someone other.