PDA

View Full Version : George Carlin R.I.P.

Munsu
Mon, 06-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Well, my favorite stand-up comedian for quite some time passed away. Took me by surprise as I just watched a new HBO special he did a couple of months ago, and apparently he was performing during the weekend too.

Anyways, most awesome guy I've ever watched... saw him live once about 5 years ago. Good stuff.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/06/23/carlin.obit.ap/index.html

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 06-23-2008, 11:05 PM
You will be missed. R.I.P.

Animeniax
Mon, 06-23-2008, 11:41 PM
All the great comedians die before their time. Unfortunately guys like Mencia and Engvall are still alive and kicking. I like comedians like Carlin because they can be funny without resorting to the race card.

XanBcoo
Mon, 06-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Get with the times, Munsu:
http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=385872&postcount=1903

Found out about this last night (wasn't sure if I should have made a thread). Really depressed me, especially since I never got to see him live, but actually had the chance to in February. I will regret that for the rest of my life. Seeing live comedy is a different experience, and George Carlin is definitely a legend. Without a doubt my favorite comedian, representing everything I love about standup. 3 of the moments I've laughed the hardest in my life were because of this guy.

I guess it also goes without saying to anyone who knew of him that he was as much a prophet as he was a comedian. He was intelligent, and he's inspired a lot of people. R.I.P. you old fuck.

Edit: There's some pretty awesome obituaries/memorials floating around, but this one by Louis C.K. is really good: http://www.louisck.net/

Munsu
Tue, 06-24-2008, 12:03 AM
Well, I knew about it when the news broke out... I haven't been around online since then. Was surprised that no one had made a thread about it, so I made one. Shame on you for burying this news on a shitty thread like that.

Well you missed out, watching him live, he was great... sadly I already knew most if not all the jokes he performed when I saw him, but they were just as funny.

Got to get my hands on those specials he has around so I can rewatch them... it's been a while, though HBO is always repeating them.

Might give his book a try, I wonder if it's just as funny.

animus
Tue, 06-24-2008, 12:04 AM
We have comedians like Dane Cook and Carlos Mencia still alive, sigh.

XanBcoo
Tue, 06-24-2008, 12:14 AM
Don't I know that I missed out. The show I would have seen was "It's Bad For Ya" which I've since watched on Youtube and loved. And yeah, like you said, even rewatching material you've already seen is funny. It's just that good.

Might give his book a try, I wonder if it's just as funny.
Out of the 3, I've only read Brain Droppings. It's a collection of Carlin's random thoughts (as the title implies) and one liners. Not very insightful, but still funny and has a lot of material he never used in standup. I think all his books are like that. I've heard "When Will Jesus Bring the Porkchops" is good, but I haven't even looked at it and know nothing of the content.

HBO is currently running all of Carlin's specials right now, and will be doing so for the next 24 hours, apparently.

And yeah, I should have made a thread but it didn't really dawn on me at the time.

deadlydreamx
Tue, 06-24-2008, 01:28 AM
We have comedians like Dane Cook and Carlos Mencia still alive, sigh.

Hey, hey I think Dane Cook is funny... Carlos Mencia on the other hand... he sucks

IFHTT
Tue, 06-24-2008, 01:52 AM
George Carlin was definitely a great comedian, I can't imagine how the US would be today without him, even though he despised it so. He will definitely be missed.

I do gotta take this opportunity to disagree with you, deadlydreamx. IMO all of Dane Cook's humor is in his delivery, his material is just random nonsense for the most part. You can find a million Dane Cooks in everyday life, the only thing keeping them back is the fact that they're not as photogenic. Anyway I don't wanna stray too far off topic into a rant, so I'll leave it at that.

R.I.P

Sapphire
Tue, 06-24-2008, 05:33 AM
He was a hilarious and entertaining man.

lelouch
Tue, 06-24-2008, 06:11 AM
One of my favorite comedians by far. He shall not be forgotten.

Uchiha Barles
Tue, 06-24-2008, 09:12 AM
The good thing about human mortality, no moron lasts forever. The bad, no hero does either :-(. Rest well George.

Sapphire
Tue, 06-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Hey, hey I think Dane Cook is funny... Carlos Mencia on the other hand... he sucks
Have you heard his special called 'A Vicious Circle'? He says the same jokes as 'Harmful if Swallowed' and that other one, but in a way that he expects people to laugh from recognition. Meh. He was funny for me until I listened to his latest special.

I'm still glad Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock are still alive though. They rule.

python862
Tue, 06-24-2008, 11:47 AM
George Carlin singlehandedly holds the title of 'Best Comedian EVAR', and he will until I deem another worthy. Which I'm guessing will never happen. Other than that, I can't say anything than has already been said. See you later, George.

TwisT
Wed, 06-25-2008, 02:59 AM
George Carlin was truly a great man. One of the best. This was a great lose for the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o