PDA

View Full Version : Movie: Burn After Reading

XanBcoo
Sat, 06-21-2008, 12:38 AM
New movie from the Coen Brothers!!! I saw the trailer for this movie running before Get Smart tonight, and I was surprised to learn that the Coens were coming out with another movie so soon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0887883/

A disk containing the memoirs of a CIA agent ends up in the hands of two unscrupulous gym employees who attempt to sell it.

It's set to release in September. The leading roles seem to be Pitt, Clooney, and John Malkovich. I liked the trailer, and I'm pretty excited about this.

Assassin
Sat, 06-21-2008, 01:38 AM
Yup, i saw this trailer a while ago while randomly browsing imdb. Cant wait for it to come out. the fact that is has clooney and pitt is more then enough reason to go see this. whenever those two do a movie together, its usually awesome (see: Oceans 11,12,13).

Jessper
Sat, 09-13-2008, 02:07 AM
Bump~! Funny stuff. It is pretty dark (like you expect anything else out of the Coen Brothers?) but certainly funny and entertaining. Worth the 9.50 I payed.

Though the ditzes sitting behind me and my friends didn't seem to like it...

Animeniax
Sat, 09-13-2008, 04:51 AM
Yup, i saw this trailer a while ago while randomly browsing imdb. Cant wait for it to come out. the fact that is has clooney and pitt is more then enough reason to go see this. whenever those two do a movie together, its usually awesome (see: Oceans 11,12,13).
For me, the combined smarminess quotient of a Clooney/Pitt movie is more than I can handle. Add John Malkovich, the king of smarm, and it might be an unbearable experience.

XanBcoo
Sat, 09-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Given the inherent smarminess of those three actors, I can say it was probably intentional that they were cast. The Coen's tend to make really unlikeable characters very well. With their combined writing/directing and the personalities of the actors involved, I can only see this cast as a good thing.

I really need to see this movie soon.

Assassin
Tue, 09-16-2008, 03:54 PM
I saw it yesterday...gotta say i was disappointed. But i think that was because i went in expecting a comedy like the oceans 11. I wont say it was a bad movie, but just not my particular cup of tea. It really is a niche market and it will definitely appeal to those that enjoy this type of movie.

The acting was well done, particularly by brad pitt and that ugly gym chick......i hated both characters, but thats a testament to thier acting skills i guess.

Imo, its worth the watch if you enjoy dark (and random/pointless) comedies. Otehrwise its better to dl it or stream it.

XanBcoo
Tue, 09-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Imo, its worth the watch if you enjoy dark (and random/pointless) comedies
It was by the Coen brothers, what else would you expect?? This seems like exactly the type of movie they usually make.

I haven't seen it yet, but I can tell I'm going to love it.

"I thought you might be worried...about the security...of your shit" from the trailer is already the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

XanBcoo
Sun, 09-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Well, I was right that this was a typical Coen movie, but I was wrong that I didn't absolutely love it.

Not that I didn't like it. I just thought it could have been a bit better. Pitt's character was a little different than I expected, but his character was definitely a strong point. I got a real Pulp Fiction vibe with what ultimately happened to him. I guess my problem with it is that it really lacked a strong narrative. I know the point of the movie was that all these characters' stupidity was ultimately meaningless, but I still feel the movie suffered because of the lack of focus.

I think my favorite characters were J.K. Simmons, the gym manager and Manolo.

The entire last scene almost had me in tears. It was worth it at least for that.

itadakimasu
Wed, 09-24-2008, 01:57 PM
yeah... the ending was good. overall i didn't think it was great. definately not brad pitt or george clooney's best movies.

as far as oceans 11,12, and 13 go... 11 was enough for me, i refused to watch 11 or 12 because the idea of a sequal to that kind of movie seems just stupid.