PDA

View Full Version : Naruto Chapter 405

Sidnne
Thu, 06-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Well, kids, here it is. Chapter 405, freshly scanlated by Binktopia.

Chapter 405 by Binktopia (http://www.sendspace.com/file/5wjmii)

Idealistic
Thu, 06-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Nothing much to say..... But that I was touched by this chapter. Seriously.

And it's about time they got back to this part of the story.

XanBcoo
Thu, 06-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Well that was depressing.

I'm glad to see Iruka's still out there doing his thing though.

Assertn
Thu, 06-19-2008, 11:43 PM
so sad :(

toonice714
Fri, 06-20-2008, 12:00 AM
man i havent felt this down about naruto since sandaime passed.

rockmanj
Fri, 06-20-2008, 12:36 AM
Well written...I actually felt sad. Also, at the end "I'm Jiraiya, you can give me a love letter later" was really funny. Also...little Oro was too cute ^^.

FullMetalAlchemist
Fri, 06-20-2008, 12:43 AM
I was kinda hoping this would be a serious turning point in narutos behavior but iruka telling him not to change makes me fear a little lol. but a very sad chapter indeed. next chapter is called the key so we may get some info on what naruto will lear/how he will learn w/e he will learn.

boilerph
Fri, 06-20-2008, 02:09 AM
Honestly, there is something very unsettling about Naruto just walking out fairly quietly. That scene established a great tone to the whole chapter and really made it stick. Hopefully in a few months I'll be able to look back and pinpoint that as the moment that Naruto matured for good and not just remember it as a brief character development that eventually disappeared.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 06-20-2008, 02:19 AM
I still can't understand what Sakura and Sai are doing loitering around the hokage's office all day...
Sakura has some excuses, being an apprentice of the 5th, but why is Sai there? and why does she tell them the crap about destiny's child?

but still, a moving chapter.

I don't think it'll end up mathmatical, i'm guessing it's more japanese language coding.

Archangel
Fri, 06-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Dam i hated this chapter, I feel like such a looser getting so depressed over a manga :)

It sucks that Jiraya died but this is a great opportunity for some serious character development, i can only hope we'll se a more matured Naruto after this.

@DBZ - I don't really think there's any way for anyone on this side of the border to decipher that, I'm not even sure if the code breakers on Naruto can do it.

SilentSnake
Fri, 06-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Dam i hated this chapter, I feel like such a looser getting so depressed over a manga :)

It sucks that Jiraya died but this is a great opportunity for some serious character development, i can only hope we'll se a more matured Naruto after this.

@DBZ - I don't really think there's any way for anyone on this side of the border to decipher that, I'm not even sure if the code breakers on Naruto can do it.

Shikamaru will ez it in no time.

Abdula
Fri, 06-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Um guys, I don't think this was as depressing as you guys make it out to be, it certainly wasn't to me. Anyway nothing happened in this chapter, I thought we would see some profound change in Naruto but Iruka just told him to be himself. Iruka looks awesome by the way I wish we would see him more. Anyway why is it that the first thing Naruto does is try to blame Tsuande for Jiraiya's death. What, does he not realize that Tsuanda knew Jiraiya much longer than he did and she was much closer to him. Or that maybe she would be feeling worse than he is because she of course would feel responsible, not to mention that now she has no one left, her family is dead and Oro, Jiraiya and Sarutobi are gone.

Btw I'm wondering what message Shikamaru has that is so important and doesn't that image of Jiraiya in his prime look alot like Minato.

Assertn
Fri, 06-20-2008, 02:54 PM
I still think the number is the default gateway onto Pain's telepathic LAN.

Archangel
Fri, 06-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Btw I'm wondering what message Shikamaru has that is so important and doesn't that image of Jiraiya in his prime look alot like Minato.

Yeah and the third as a kid kind of looks like them too.

Yukimura
Fri, 06-20-2008, 03:32 PM
I thought this chapter would be lame since I knew nothing was going to happen but crying when I read the summary of it, but then I read the chapter and thought it wasn't too bad at conveying a sense of "waaa my teacher/father figure/brother figure is dead, imma go cry now." It doesn't deserve an award or anything, but it could have been a lot more lame.

I mean, if you'd watched your family tortued to death when you were seven you probably wouldn't be moved much by such a thing but I can see how more normal people would feel some empathy for Naruto and Tsunade.

Uchiha Barles
Fri, 06-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Man, this Naruto putting his foot in his mouth "If he'd been the fifth, he would never have sent you on that mission." Doesn't even begin to know how fucked up a thing that is to say. :-(. Very sad chapter indeed, but looks like Naruto's not going to spend three chapters sulking, which I would have actually granted him this time around. That's a good thing. Also, it looks like with the deciphering of the code, we'll be jumping right into another action packed arc.

1) The leaf's action will be to find out what Pein is up to
2) The leaf will have to react to Naruto being a now active target of Akatsuki.

Sasuke taking on the leaf is going to have to wait till this Jinchuruki stuff is done.

:-(. Jiraiya and Itachi in so short a time span :-(.

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 06-21-2008, 02:51 AM

Very much so, it looks like Jiraiya might be Naruto's grandfather after all.

SilentSnake
Sat, 06-21-2008, 03:40 AM
This chapter makes me think that Naruto needs to reach a peak of being childish to move on and become more mature...

Nevertheless, reasonable chapter, I actually felt sad because of Jiraiya's death for a mom.

Uberbaka
Sat, 06-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Good chapter, felt there was a nice change in art style with a lot of solid blacks/whites. And god I hope this is the maturity leap I was hoping we'd get from the time skip...

Although for some reason I couldn't shake the unnerving feeling this is one of those moments where the anime gets another chance to stop and stock up on fillers while they "decode" the message which they'll take because they love making fillers... If it ever gets this far in the story at this rate...

XanBcoo
Sat, 06-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Um guys, I don't think this was as depressing as you guys make it out to be, it certainly wasn't to me
I would have agreed with you for most of the chapter, but it was the last few pages with Tsunade coming to the realization of the death of her oldest friend that got to me. :(

I also thought it was weird that Naruto blamed her as well. That came out of nowhere and didn't seem really fitting for his character.

Konohamaru
Sat, 06-21-2008, 04:45 PM
sad chapter indeed. I would've done what Naruto said in the chapter. The whole, if Jiraiya was hokage he wouldn't let you go out on that mission thing. Anywhoo, I think those numbers are chapter markings on Jiraiya's books he wrote. Prolly leading to who he met in his life and then revealing who Pein is.

DayoftheDante
Mon, 06-23-2008, 03:06 AM
I think those numbers are chapter markings on Jiraiya's books

I like that idea. Encrypting your last words in this manner, and with a crushed windpipe is badass on a level I can't quantify. Naruto's personality shift should be very subtle if we get one at all, since we saw Iruka telling him not to change. He's definitely feeling down, but it can't compare to what Tsunade feels... She didn't get to be Jiraiya's backup :(

Now for a noticeable shift in temperament, I think the deaths of either Sakura or Kakashi could do it. I suppose Sasuke's could too, but what are the chances of that happening?

ForteCross
Mon, 06-23-2008, 03:16 AM
dont ever say that, dont kill kakashi xD (sakura wont die until she gives birth to goku... i mean naruto's child)

Archangel
Mon, 06-23-2008, 09:23 AM
I also thought it was weird that Naruto blamed her as well. That came out of nowhere and didn't seem really fitting for his character.

After loosing someone you love you'll blame the first person that comes to your mind

chet_chetty
Mon, 06-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Now I wonder who is going to step in and become Naruto's primary sensei. I find it hard that the person who teaches Naruto to become a smart ninja will be himself.

Sidnne
Mon, 06-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Now I wonder who is going to step in and become Naruto's primary sensei. I find it hard that the person who teaches Naruto to become a smart ninja will be himself.

Kakashi and Yamato seem to have already teamed up to take on that role. Although I expect them to have a limited role as they have has to this point, while Naruto receives random tips and advice from other experienced ninja (Iruka, Gai, Tsunade) throughout.

I can't really say I was moved by this chapter. But, I guess I'm just not in touch with my emotions. /shrug

I know it was supposed to be symbolic of the flashback with Jiraiya, but if you think about it, Iruka just came along and stole half of Naruto's popsicle.

February
Tue, 06-24-2008, 02:43 AM
I totally thought that it was Shikamaru that was trying to cheer up Naruto in this popsicle scene until Naruto said "Thanks Iruka Sensei." Then I felt dumb

Archangel
Tue, 06-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Kakashi and Yamato seem to have already teamed up to take on that role. Although I expect them to have a limited role as they have has to this point, while Naruto receives random tips and advice from other experienced ninja (Iruka, Gai, Tsunade) throughout.

Hmmm... I'm not so sure about that. Naruto has always had a sensei and besides i hope that the manga ends with him knowing 3 different techniques...

PS: Tips from Iruka? He's a chunin dude, probably even weaker than Naruto.

Abdula
Tue, 06-24-2008, 11:44 AM
You're an idiot Iruka is an accomplished ninja and yeah while he may not have techniques as strong as Naruto does they certainly haven't helped Naruto any now have they. Anyway just shut up, because you don't have to be a freaking Akatsuki member to give someone tips and Iruka is a teacher.

Anyway as far as someone taking over training Naruto, there is Kakashi and Yamato and we still have that old frog dude. The reason he stayed there was to talk to Naruto afterall so I assume he will be giving Naruto some instruction from now on because he is the one that taught Jiraiya in the first place.

XanBcoo
Tue, 06-24-2008, 11:53 AM
You're an idiot Iruka is an accomplished ninja and yeah while he may not have techniques as strong as Naruto does they certainly haven't helped Naruto any now have they. Anyway just shut up, because you don't have to be a freaking Akatsuki member to give someone tips and Iruka is a teacher.
Stop getting so worked up. Jesus.

Iruka is a pretty good father figure to Naruto, but he hardly qualifies as a teacher at this point. Naruto has more than surpassed him in strength and technique. If he does help Naruto out at all, it will be in the form of wise words and advice, just like in this chapter. There's not a lot he can teach him now.

But yes, I also think (or at least hope) that the old frog sage will be involved in Naruto's future teaching somehow.

Archangel
Tue, 06-24-2008, 11:53 AM
...that time of the month again Abdula?

Naruto may be weak but he's beyond the level of iruka, all the help he can give him now is what we just saw on this chapter. He'll always be like a father to Naruto but as far as teaching naruto new techniques I think we'll see more of that from stronger shinobi.

It would be awesome if the old frog taught naruto some of jiraya's old techiniques, maybe Naruto could even finish Pain off using one of those.

Abdula
Tue, 06-24-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm not worked up I just like calling Archangel an idiot.

Secondly I wasn't talking about Iruka teaching Naruto new techniques, I really don't think Naruto is going to be getting anything new, he just needs more training. He just got a new rasengan that he has used only once, he's got the Kyuubi and he has whatever the hell it is Itachi gave him. I was always hoping Kishi would make Naruto into a proper ninja but at this point I've already given up on that so I don't expect any significant change from Naruto atleast not combat wise.

At most I expect that Naruto has one more ultra powerful technique coming his way, whatever it is that Minato left the key behind for.

Archangel
Tue, 06-24-2008, 12:48 PM
He just got a new rasengan that he has used only once.

Yeah and if he keep using it he'll end up without an arm., It would make sense if they taught him just 1 or 2 more techniques that he could use mid-battle since the wind rasengan is obviously a finishing jutsu.

Abdula
Tue, 06-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Finishing jutsu? So was the original rasengan and the oodama rasengan as well. Naruto doesn't have any mid battle or what I refer to as supplemental techniques that has been the problem from the very beginning and it isn't going to change. Besides if your argument is that it would make sense, then you are way off because this is Naruto we are talking about here. When it comes to him fighting, things don't have to make sense.

Archangel
Tue, 06-24-2008, 02:01 PM
I guess I'll just cling to hope that Naruto's fights will involve something besides shadow clones and rasengans.

Sidnne
Tue, 06-24-2008, 04:07 PM
I guess I'll just cling to hope that Naruto's fights will involve something besides shadow clones and rasengans.

I think we're all still clinging to that hope.

And Iruka doesn't have to be stronger than Naruto in order to teach him. (Kakashi has said that Naruto is more powerful than himself now, but Kakashi still teaches him.) Iruka still has knowledge and advice to give.
We just saw him give Naruto advice in this very chapter, and yet, you still dispute that Iruka can help Naruto?

Yukimura
Tue, 06-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Lol that's like saying you hope Shikamaru will fight without using his shadow or Kakashi will fight without using Raikiri.

Naruto's problem (one of them) is that he keeps gaining techniques that come at some terrible cost to him. He needs to learn useful techniques that aren't horribly dangerous but are still useful in battle like almost any technique we've seen other ninja use. Actually developing a relationship with his summons would be a nice start.

And anyone in the village of chuunin level should be able to give Naruto advice. He doesn't seem to know any medium risk-medium reward techniques which should be the bread and butter of an average chuunin level ninja. He's always trained for power and he'd already managed to skip to Jounin level in terms of power even before the skip. However he is still at a genin-chuunin level in terms of versatility and judgment.

XanBcoo
Tue, 06-24-2008, 04:40 PM
We just saw him give Naruto advice in this very chapter, and yet, you still dispute that Iruka can help Naruto?
No one's saying that. We acknowledge he can advise him, but he's not going to be making him any stronger or teaching him any new techniques or strategies. This is a dumb argument, let's just stop.

Finishing jutsu? So was the original rasengan and the oodama rasengan as well. Naruto doesn't have any mid battle or what I refer to as supplemental techniques that has been the problem from the very beginning and it isn't going to change.
Sadly this is the case. I too remember when Rasengan was meant to be his finishing move. If the development of the Wind Rasengan proves anything, it's that improvement in this series can only come in the form of "my attack is more powerful than your attack".

Archangel
Tue, 06-24-2008, 05:23 PM
I just hope this doesn't get as bad as it did with DBZ. I say less power, more agility and versatility by the fighters.

What really pisses me off is that with Naruto's insane amount of chakra he should be able to do some amazing jutsus. I mean just imagine a plain and regular wind jutsu, only Naruto can multiply himself one hundred times and use it against a single enemy. What's the point of having all these finishing moves if they never hit/cost u an arm ?

DayoftheDante
Tue, 06-24-2008, 06:37 PM
improvement in this series can only come in the form of "my attack is more powerful than your attack".

Not necessarily. I can picture the clever ones like Shikamaru or Neji exploiting elemental weaknesses in some way: During the fight, if they figure out their opponent's affinity, they could then use a jutsu that has a natural advantage against that elemental type. This makes me cringe a little bit, because it reminds me of how the types worked in Pokemon.

Now, if you meant that this is just the case for Naruto's attacks, then yeah I agree with you it's all about overpowering. The rationale seems to be that since Naruto has been taught under a very reputable and powerful sensei, Jiraiya, that the expectation is for him to use humongous nuclear warhead jutsus. As far as midrange, low cost/benefit attacks, how about learning to use a chakra weapon? Another thing I'm curious about would be: If Naruto uses mass kage bunshins combined with a chakra weapon, do the clones get the weapon and benefit from extra cutting power, or does only the original?

Archangel
Tue, 06-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Another thing I'm curious about would be: If Naruto uses mass kage bunshins combined with a chakra weapon, do the clones get the weapon and benefit from extra cutting power, or does only the original?

Kage Bunshin does an exact replica of the user plus any material possessions he has near him like his clothes. My guess would be that the chakra weapons would also be duplicated but their cutting power would be decreased when compared to the original naruto since the chakra would be separated by the clones.

Sidnne
Tue, 06-24-2008, 10:42 PM
No one's saying that. We acknowledge he can advise him, but he's not going to be making him any stronger or teaching him any new techniques or strategies. This is a dumb argument, let's just stop.

Yeah, you and Archangel both said that. You actually said that Iruka doesn't qualify as a teacher, but I believe Iruka has a lot he can still teach Naruto.

The point is Naruto has one or two powerful jutsus and a ton of chakra, but he is hardly a master of anything, especially techniques, strategy, and general ninja stuff. Those are all areas that people have been anxious to see Naruto improve in and it has been discussed in this thread. Perhaps techniques are not in Iruka's field of expertise, but strategy and general ninja stuff are. If Iruka can help Naruto improve in areas that people want to see him improve in then it's not really all that dumb of an argument.

Uchiha Barles
Tue, 06-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Yeah, you and Archangel both said that. You actually said that Iruka doesn't qualify as a teacher, but I believe Iruka has a lot he can still teach Naruto.

The point is Naruto has one or two powerful jutsus and a ton of chakra, but he is hardly a master of anything, especially techniques, strategy, and general ninja stuff. Those are all areas that people have been anxious to see Naruto improve in and it has been discussed in this thread. Perhaps techniques are not in Iruka's field of expertise, but strategy and general ninja stuff are. If Iruka can help Naruto improve in areas that people want to see him improve in then it's not really all that dumb of an argument.

Naruto not going to train with Ibiki was one of the biggest mistakes to happen. Ibiki would be far better suited to teaching Naruto the things you speak of, specially if Iruka is still a Chuunin. At this point though, I do think Naruto has a good handle on "general ninja stuff" including diversion, deception and stealth. Really all he needs are more techniques, and some taijutsu training, which he could learn from peers after he gets his elemental training.

Abdula
Wed, 06-25-2008, 12:51 AM
Loving all the optimism in this thread, we'll see how long it lasts. Anyway I really don't care who trains Naruto as long as someone does but like I said I really don't see that happening.

Sidnne
Wed, 06-25-2008, 12:52 AM
People keep bringing up Iruka being a chuunin... Sure, Iruka is still a chuunin, but Naruto is still a gennin, remember? Surely a gennin can learn something from a chuunin?

Anyway, I had forgotten about the old toad. If anyone is going to actually take Naruto on as a student, it will likely be him. Other than that, the roles of everyone else are sure to stay the same. Kakashi randomly has light bulbs go off where, after some deep analytical thinking, he suddenly decides that he has a way for Naruto to learn something. And Iruka and the villages other ninja will be there to check in from time to time with some sensible advice.

Or maybe Hinata will train Naruto as way to get close to him.

XanBcoo
Wed, 06-25-2008, 01:02 AM
Yeah, but rank means nothing. Naruto is a Genin of the same skill level of his peers, many of which are now Jounin. He hasn't advanced in rank because he came back from 3 years of training with a Sanin only to be greeted with a shitstorm. The fact that Iruka has been teaching at the academy as a Chuunin for God knows how many years is completely telling of his own skill level. Naruto has since trained under a Jounin and a Sanin. That's like a university graduate going back to his 2nd grade teacher to help him finish off his PHD. I've conceded twice that Iruka can function as a moral support and advisory for Naruto, but can you honestly imagine a chapter of "Naruto trains under Iruka"?

Anyway

Anyway, I had forgotten about the old toad. If anyone is going to actually take Naruto on as a student, it will likely be him.
You're right that this is most likely. Either that or he gets no training whatsoever and rushes off brashly to fight Pain once the code is cracked and we learn his identity.

Naruto don't need no trainin' when he's got Deus Ex Machina no jutsu on his side.

chet_chetty
Wed, 06-25-2008, 03:27 AM
Naruto displays Jounin+ level skill when it comes to technique skill and strength and that's where his high level ninja ability ends.

But he is seriously lacking in tact. Feigning strength complemented with bunshin deception can only take him so far and more times than not it's only worked when he had help taking on an [already weakened] enemy. As others have mentioned, we would like to see Naruto display tact by using his insane chakra and strategically use intermediate level jutsus so he can, convincingly, lead into his finishing blow.

He has not shown anything beyond an intermediate ability to analyze his opponent's fighting style, find holes, and exploit weaknesses in rapid succession. These last set of skills we've seen in fights like Kidoumaru vs Neji and Sasuke vs Deidara. This is something Naruto desperately needs without Kishi bullshitting another Naruto victory via luck, enemy underestimation of Naruto, and technique powerhousing.

Lastly and to a lesser extent, Naruto needs some type of speed or time/space jutsu to cover distances faster than the blink of an eye and he seriously needs to step up in the taijutsu department.

He can potentially be built to become the best of Jiraiya and Minato (and maybe Naruto's mom) and at that level, he would rock the shit out of Pein and it would be a more than satisfying victory for me to see.

Archangel
Wed, 06-25-2008, 06:58 AM
Holy shit now that u mention it... Time/ Space jutsu + rasengan = complete ownage.

Dam i wish we could see the fourth battling someone on a flashback or something.

Tyreal
Wed, 06-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Lastly and to a lesser extent, Naruto needs some type of speed or time/space jutsu to cover distances faster than the blink of an eye and he seriously needs to step up in the taijutsu department.

I'm guessing Naruto will get some sort of technique like that from the scroll Jiraiya left him, maybe even Minato's Flying Thunder God Technique (The Fourths insta move jutsu). With that technique even Naruto could use simple strategies to beat most enemies.

Sidnne
Thu, 06-26-2008, 03:37 AM
Yeah, but rank means nothing.

My point exactly.

XanBcoo
Thu, 06-26-2008, 03:17 PM
My point exactly.
Naruto has far surpassed Iruka in skill, but not in rank.

The only thing he could teach him is how to get hit in the back with a giant Shuriken and not die.

Archangel
Thu, 06-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Seriously this is just stupid, is anyone here actually saying that they think Iruka is naruto's next teacher??

Yeah whatever, it' s a possibility, but lets talk probability here ok?

iMUSTbeTHEdevil
Thu, 06-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Seriously this is just stupid, is anyone here actually saying that they think Iruka is naruto's next teacher??

Yeah whatever, it' s a possibility, but lets talk probability here ok?

Maybe Iruka is a wind type and he could help Naruto develop a jutsu that wouldnt hurt him?

I dont think that Naruto really has all that much time to train anyhow. Seems like some shit is going to go down and than after that he will probably just leave the village and bum around like Jiraiya.

poopdeville
Thu, 06-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Iruka probably knows a lot of stuff Naruto doesn't. I mean, Naruto only learned about elemental chakra "recently". He still doesn't know about light and dark recombination or whatever.

I'm sure Iruka knows all about it, even if he can only do crappy techniques with it. If Naruto wanted to, he could probably do a lot of "book learning" from Iruka. Iruka probably couldn't teach him any techniques, but Kakashi isn't teaching any techniques either -- he taught Naruto a training method and told Naruto to go wild on a leaf.

On the other hand, who cares?