PDA

View Full Version : Devils Fruits: What do you think they are?

docdan63
Mon, 06-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Ever since Blackbeard was actually looking for his fruit, I've been wondering, what are they in terms of powers? Do you think they're spirits in the fruits of actual beings giving the recipient powers. Or do you think it's more of some kind of chemical reaction that has something to to do with their body?

Thoughts?

DarthEnderX
Tue, 06-17-2008, 04:15 AM
They're pods from the "Devil's Tree" which is an alien bioconstruct. Eating the pods rewrites your DNA, causing X-Men style mutations. Which the aliens use to create powerful soldiers.

tigerleon
Sun, 06-22-2008, 11:05 PM
I kinda agree with darkender but..
for the world of onepiece aint it a lil out there??
it is the pirate age after all :D

DarthEnderX
Fri, 06-27-2008, 02:56 AM
No more "out there" than when we found out in DBZ that Goku was actually an alien.

Archangel
Mon, 06-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Well actually goku was originally just meant to be a really strong human but they turned him into an alien for DBZ.

Anyway, there's probably a devil tree in the last island of the grand line that has devil fruits or something along with all blue, one piece, robin's poligraph, etc...

Death BOO Z
Mon, 06-30-2008, 02:09 PM
I think it's the fruits of the Adam tree, the one that the new ship is made of.

it can really go the evangelion way, or DBZ movie 3 (the tree of power)

Assertn
Mon, 06-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Rereading Buggy's introductory arc, they refer to the devil fruits as "gifts from the sea god" or something...

Here's my hypothetical explanation:

Devil fruits grow deep under the oceans. When they mature, they float up to the surface, where pirates find them. The specific origins of the fruits before they reach the surface is unknown, hence why they are able to scatter around the world, and also justifies how so little is known about them that many people consider them as nothing more than a myth.

Their connection to the sea is strong. They originate from the sea, and the ones who eat the fruit will one day return to the depths. This is how the cycle is established. This could also suggest that, even though no two devil powers exist in the world, a person could obtain a previously-accessed power if the original owner drowns in the ocean.

Archangel
Mon, 06-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Let me add to that theory:

They do grow on the ocean, on All-Blue and from there float away to all the other oceans in the world. That would explain why no one knows where they come from and why they appear all around the world. It would also make sense that they grew next to where the one pieve was hidden, making the treasure even more amazing.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 07-02-2008, 02:51 PM
I don't know. I have a sneaking suspicion that Devil's Fruits don't float. Since Fruit eaters don't float.
Well actually goku was originally just meant to be a really strong human but they turned him into an alien for DBZ.Except that DB and DBZ is all one continuous manga. It'd be like if all of a sudden, the Water 7 Arc started and Oda revealed Luffy was actually from the future and got sent back in time as a baby.

docdan63
Thu, 07-03-2008, 11:47 PM
I don't know. I have a sneaking suspicion that Devil's Fruits don't float. Since Fruit eaters don't float.Except that DB and DBZ is all one continuous manga. It'd be like if all of a sudden, the Water 7 Arc started and Oda revealed Luffy was actually from the future and got sent back in time as a baby.

Would we have to know DBZ to get that reference? I never watched any of the DB series. I hated them with a passion for more reasons than I know to mention. And I started watching One Piece at the same time as the end of DBZ.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 07-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Would we have to know DBZ to get that reference?Yes, you would. In the manga of Dragonball, it start out as this weird version of Journey Into the West where the main character, Goku, is the Monkey King from that story.

But then, all of a sudden, after the manga has been following the character for like 20 years of his life, Toriyama revealed that Goku is actually from a race of monkey tailed aliens, and the series from there becomes kung fu battles against aliens.

Now in the manga, this was just the beginning of another story arc. But in the original Dragonball anime, the series ends at the arc just before this. And Dragonball Z begins with this alien arc. So it gives the impression that DBZ is a completely different series than DB that just happens to have the same character. But in reality, its all just one manga story that all of a sudden pulls a 90 degree turn into WTFville.

So it would be like if Oda, just in the middle of the series revealed that Luffy was actually from the future and everyone in the future is actually made of rubber and he never ate a devil's fruit at all!

LobsterMagnet
Fri, 07-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Devil Fruits are nothing more then a convenient plot device for Oda' to justify all the crazy powers he invents for his characters. Kind of like the mutant gene in X-men. Because seriously if the whole mutant thing was a world wide phenomena I don't think you'd see the diversity of mutants as present in the X-men comics.