PDA

View Full Version : Steam installation issues

Animeniax
Sat, 06-14-2008, 12:23 AM
So I finally got the Orange Box but steam proves its utter shittiness once again for anyone who doesn't have unlimited bandwidth on high speed internet access. I hope Valve lost lots and lots of revenue for implementing this p.o.s. distribution system.

To the real issue at hand, has anyone successfully installed the 5 Orange Box games without having to download everything from steam? Every time I run the setup program it forces me to go online, then proceeds to download everything, which is impossible since we have bandwidth usage restrictions.

I've checked for fixes to this, including starting the install online, then stopping, going offline, and restarting to force the install from DVD, but if you go offline it dumps the installation and you have to start over. Previous to the OB, I already had an updated version of steam and CS:S installed.

Any ideas?

Paulyboy
Tue, 06-24-2008, 12:59 AM
LMFAO!!!! Yeah I will help your ass.

http://abuggedlife.com/2007/11/19/the-orange-box-the-best-pc-game-deal-for-2007/

My friend had the same problem as well, I actually helped him.

If that does not work I suggest you turn on virtual ram, which helps out with most cases with the orange box. Also make sure you have extra disk space because steam is totally bullshit about the whole its only 6 gigs to install when its actually 10 gigs after update......

Animeniax
Tue, 06-24-2008, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the thought, but I've read that and other articles and the fixes don't apply. I've tried stopping and restarting the installation to get that "re-install" option, but it never appears. I've tried every option besides actually letting it download everything, which isn't possible in my current situation.

I think the problem is that I previously owned a copy of HL2 and it is registered with my Steam account. So now when I install the Orange Box, it thinks since I already have HL2 (even though it is not actually installed on the current PC), that it just needs to download the updates for it. Unfortunately, it then tries to download all 2+GB of files to get HL2 working. It never gives the option to get the files from the disk because it assumes since I already own a copy, it's probably installed already. That's what I get for buying a second copy of the game. That's how Valve rewards its repeat customers.

lelouch
Tue, 06-24-2008, 06:23 AM
You could buy a lot of extra RAM to make the installation go more smoothly.

Animeniax
Tue, 06-24-2008, 07:56 AM
How would that help exactly?

David75
Tue, 06-24-2008, 08:39 AM
I think you already tried to contact Steam support and asked them wether they have a disk they can sen you for offline update.
If possible, can someone dl everything for you and send it to you (I know, online updates does not always allow this.).

You are absolutely sure that your files on CD/DVD are the latest?

then there are illegal fixes to the problem, or so it seems. I don't know if you'd go that far, depending on how well your internet usage is monitored. Eventhough you have perfectly legal copies, busybodies could be a pain in the ass.

Sorry I can't go any further in helping you.

Animeniax
Tue, 06-24-2008, 12:57 PM
From what I've read Valve is for shit when it comes to tech support issues concerning Steam. Their official stance is that it is perfect and infallible, so you the customer must be at fault. I've read of others having the same issue, but stopping and restarting the installation gives them the re-install option that installs from CD. I have not found a way to get that option to appear.

I just bought the Orange Box, so the files present should at least facilitate the install, with patching done via Steam afterwards.

I've read about the illegal fixes, but they mess with Steam, possibly causing suspension of your Steam account and setting off VAC to get you banned from online play. I'm not ready to go that route yet.

Thanks for the suggestions.

itadakimasu
Tue, 06-24-2008, 06:40 PM
when i visited my bother this past thanksgiving i installed team fortress 2 on his computer via steam and it was constant between 1.2 and 1.5 mbps download speed... it went so fast.

I have had a couple issues w\ steam though where it tells me some crap about server busy or something and it wont log me in.

one time I even spent a good hour or so uninstalling and re-installing... for the most part though I'm happy w\ steam because it saves me the trouble of digging up installation cd's and what not. I can install my games on any computer I want very easily.

Paulyboy
Tue, 06-24-2008, 06:52 PM
You could buy a lot of extra RAM to make the installation go more smoothly.

You said that for the other post..... http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=14696. Ram issue recoveries don't work for everything....

Anyways it probably won't work but try the ol uninstall and then delete the registry. Just basically reinstall the whole thing. If that does not work then I really don't know what the problem is.

Animeniax
Tue, 06-24-2008, 11:29 PM
@itadakimasu: that's only the case if you have high speed internet access with unlimited usage. If you visit your aunt in the sticks who doesn't even have dial up, you're screwed. Also, the freedom to download as you please will change soon with metered bandwidth accounts.

@Paulyboy: yep, tried that too. I got so pissed at Valve and Steam that I uninstalled everything that referenced either, including deleting anything in the registry that referred to either. I also almost punched my screen in the process. When I installed again, same problem. I'm convinced the problem is the existing account minus the existing installation.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-24-2008, 11:55 PM
@itadakimasu: that's only the case if you have high speed internet access with unlimited usage. If you visit your aunt in the sticks who doesn't even have dial up, you're screwed. Also, the freedom to download as you please will change soon with metered bandwidth accounts.

@Paulyboy: yep, tried that too. I got so pissed at Valve and Steam that I uninstalled everything that referenced either, including deleting anything in the registry that referred to either. I also almost punched my screen in the process. When I installed again, same problem. I'm convinced the problem is the existing account minus the existing installation.

What now? I was hoping Australia would move forward and start having unmetered accounts. Now that they're following Australia instead, it's all but a distant dream T.T

Anyway, Ani, have you tried installing your leaving HL2 installed, then installing the Orange Box over it? It's probably too late to try this now, isn't it?

Animeniax
Wed, 06-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Yes, unfortunately metered accounts are the way of the future in the States, since too few are consuming too much bandwidth at the same price the masses pay just to check email. It's more fair I suppose, though it will hurt my download activity. Luckily my university network will probably not have such restrictions, so I'll be ok for the next few years.

I haven't had HL2 installed on any of my machines since I finished Episode One in Summer 06. I had CS:S installed, but beyond the core files the two games differ too much in content that they require separate installs I think.

Animeniax
Wed, 11-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Well, here's for thinking outside the box. I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before or why no one else came up with the idea: register a new STEAM account. That should take care of the existing account problem where it tries to download everything. Trying the install right now to see if this works.

David75
Wed, 11-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Well, here's for thinking outside the box. I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before or why no one else came up with the idea: register a new STEAM account. That should take care of the existing account problem where it tries to download everything. Trying the install right now to see if this works.

another option could be a hdd exchange with someone of trust.

You clone your hd
send the copy to that person with a good adsl line or whatever.
They do the install for you
Then send the HD back.

I know.. time consuming, pricey... but still possible, unless your parcels are severely controlled or it's forbiden.

Animeniax
Wed, 11-05-2008, 02:38 PM
That did it. I made a new account and registered the game and besides a little downloading that was required while the installer prepared files and to update the games, the games installed from the DVDs like they should. I want to post this online in case others have the same problem (as I searched everywhere on google and no one else had suggested this course of resolution).