PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2008

Darky
Fri, 06-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Since i haven't seen a thread about this one i'd might as well just make one.

For all of you who have no idea what this is about, it's the european championships football (or soccer, whichever you prefer).

And now after almost a week into the tournament there's just a few things that really took my notice. The Netherlands beating both the world champion and former word champion with 3 goal margins. And after seeing them play before the tournament that came as a huge shock, to see them play this level of football.

Then there's Switzerland who's out of the tournament already sadly enough since they co host it together with Austria. Austria still having a small chance if they beat Germany.

But as to not make this post to big, who do you expect to win?

Yes i know i had Switzerland in the pole as well but it just looked so sad not having them in.

BioAlien
Fri, 06-13-2008, 09:07 PM
I voted for France. No particular reason.

Splash!
Fri, 06-13-2008, 10:36 PM
I voted for Spain. Go Torres! At the beginning of this tournament, I was rooting for Italy, but now I am not so optimistic.

I would vote Netherlands, but the Dutch are really pissing me off. They are too damn good!! :mad: My only hope is they don't throw away the game against Romania, which I fear they will.

@BioAlien: I assume you feel this way about following all professional sports in general?

Animeniax
Fri, 06-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Why isn't the US in the poll? My vote would go to them.

Just curious, but do they test for steroids at soccer tournaments?

Sapphire
Sat, 06-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Isn't Ireland in this? Or did they already lose? :(

US isn't in it because it be Europeean! (Or was that a joke?)

Splash!
Sat, 06-14-2008, 01:29 AM
No Ireland didn't qualify. Neither did England for that matter. Only the teams mentioned above qualified for the tournament.

@Animeniax: Yes, they test for steriods. In fact, they are pretty strict about it.

David75
Sat, 06-14-2008, 01:53 AM
I voted for Spain. Go Torres! At the beginning of this tournament, I was rooting for Italy, but now I am not so optimistic.

I would vote Netherlands, but the Dutch are really pissing me off. They are too damn good!! :mad: My only hope is they don't throw away the game against Romania, which I fear they will.

@BioAlien: I assume you feel this way about following all professional sports in general?

I don't know Van Basten enough (Dutch team trainer), but I hope he will not calculate things too much.

Since they are already qualified for the next round, they could actually choose to loose against romania.
The end result would be:
Netherlands 6
Romania 5
And Italy and France would be eliminated because no matter what their score won't be more than 4...

But seeing the strategy Van Basten had against France and the way his guys play, I doubt they can be so cheap as to loose on purpose... but everything is possible.

Splash!
Sat, 06-14-2008, 02:25 AM
Van Basten and Donadoni used to be teammates when they played for AC Milan. Hopefully there exists some sort of anceint comradery that Van Basten won't pull something of the sort.
Regardless, Netherlands will stay on top of the group whether they win or lose, so from a strategic standpoint, they have nothing to lose by being defeated by Romania.
Although I am sure the Dutch won't try anything as underhanded as throwing the match away on purpose, it is quite likely that several key players will be resting. For Italy's sake, I just hope that the Dutch players filling in show the same spark as the ones on the regular team.

Maybe I will get to see Huntelaar work some of his magic.I have been waiting to see him get his chance.

David75
Sat, 06-14-2008, 02:52 AM
Van Basten and Donadoni used to be teammates when they played for AC Milan. Hopefully there exists some sort of anceint comradery that Van Basten won't pull something of the sort.
Regardless, Netherlands will stay on top of the group whether they win or lose, so from a strategic standpoint, they have nothing to lose by being defeated by Romania.
Although I am sure the Dutch won't try anything as underhanded as throwing the match away on purpose, it is quite likely that several key players will be resting. For Italy's sake, I just hope that the Dutch players filling in show the same spark as the ones on the regular team.

Maybe I will get to see Huntelaar work some of his magic.I have been waiting to see him get his chance.

I do also hope the Dutch won't use such cheap trick.

However, they could be very subtle... like having a match with equal scores
-they score 1, romania scores one... then 2-2 etc

In the last minutes, the score is equal, no team wins... but the Romanian score a silly goal (penalty for example...) and win.

The Dutch would not be seen as using a very cheap trick to eliminate 2 teams that are dangerous when they awake (they are to slow though...)

Kraco
Sat, 06-14-2008, 03:34 AM
I vote for Portugal. You never know.

KrayZ33
Sat, 06-14-2008, 05:21 AM
Netherlands...

its simply unbelievable how they wipe out all the favorite teams... 3:0 against the world champion hahaaa... oh man (not to mention how France got served)

I wanted to have a good game between germany and netherlands, but now I fear that they get their ass kicked. which is slightly disappointing because Germany vs Netherlands has always been a very exciting game.

not even that, i fear that Germany will loose against Austria, if thats going to happen, I'll vomit on my flag which is hanging out of the window right here.

rockmanj
Mon, 06-16-2008, 09:34 PM
I support France, but the Dutch have been looking like absolute beasts...I gotta take them. Its actually quite fun to watch the game with my British friends, as they are all pissed that there are no U.K. teams playing in the Euro this year, which is kinda inconceivable, but hey, they need to get their act together. And my Dutch friends are absolutely loving it.

Psyke
Mon, 06-16-2008, 10:32 PM
Portugal seems to be the hot favorite here. Ronaldo, while pisses people off with his antics (I can't stand his penalties) and dives, is still an amazing player and especially this season when nothing seems to go wrong for him. He must just be the player to make the difference for Portugal this year.

I've not been catching most of the matches, since England isn't in it there's not many players I can complain about.... :p

rockmanj
Mon, 06-16-2008, 11:12 PM
I agree about Ronaldo, (the asshole antics too) and Portugal is looking good too...But there's been talk of Ronadlo choking sometimes when it comes down to the wire. Still a really good player; and maybe if the takes control of the games in the Euro, he could possibly elevate himself to a modicum of greatness.

...good to see some football discussion around here ^^

David75
Tue, 06-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Seems like Portugal did goo easy on their last qualification match where they lost...
It's not a problem since they were in the same situation the Dutch are, whatever happens in the last qualifying match, they finish first in their group...

I think France and Italy are out. We'll see tonight.

David75
Tue, 06-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Update on this fatefull evening for 2 teams composed of elders after first period...

Netherlands vs Romania is a draw @ 0-0
Netherlands seem to be superior, but they didn"t score like they did against France and Italy. So I guess their "low profile" team is a little less efficient. Plus they do not really need to push like hell since they already qualified.
Basically Netherlands are still exposed to a counter-attack from Romania... should that happen, the France-Italy match would just be for "fun"

France vs Italy is 0-1 on a penalty with redcard for Abidal (France)

So France is losing and 10 players against 11... Plus we lost Ribery for injury in the 7th minute (Ribery is a good player that gives some energy to the game... in fact he's almost alone with energy in our team....)

Miracles sometimes happen, but we have to be realistic...

Edit:
Netherlands wins by 2-0. Really great of them. Hope they'll go far with such an incredible spirit and power.

Italy is qualified since they won by 2-0 and Romania lost.

France and Romania are out.

So for now I'll support Portugal. I know they have few chances to go to the end, but that's my mother's nationality.

Splash!
Tue, 06-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Thank you Huntelaar (I knew this guy was good :D), thank you Van Persie !!!!

Italy is back in the competition. It sucks that Pirlo is going to miss the quarter final game against Spain. Hopefully De Rossi and Cassano will pick up the slack. I am at least glad that Gattuso isn't going to play for Italy either, god I hate him. Having him in midfield without Pirlo = TOTAL FAIL.

It's a real shame about Ribery though, he was the backbone of the French team.

Anyways..... group dominance doesn't matter anymore, the quarter finals is a whole different scenario. I am curious to see if the Netherlands can continue what they have going for them. The two teams I was supporting are facing off against each other in the quarters, it's going to be interesting.

Darky
Tue, 06-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Congrats to Italy for continueing into the quarters, should be a really interesting match. Spain vs Italy if both teams manage to play at their best level it should be awesome to watch. Just have to wait now if we face Sweden or Russia. And i hope we'd face Italy again in the semi's. If both make it that is.

And i'm so glad we showed our sportmanship and still beat Romania, i'd hate for italy to go out by us taking it easy. And you really can't talk about sending out a second string team, still so much quality in it. Biggest miss would've been van der Vaart and Sneijder the others i would say are almost even.

KrayZ33
Tue, 06-17-2008, 04:06 PM
So for now I'll support Portugal. I know they have few chances to go to the end, but that's my mother's nationality.

heeee heeee heeeeee..... ya they won't even come to the semifinals haaaa haaaa haaaaaa

Darky
Tue, 06-17-2008, 04:09 PM
I dunno Germany started strong in the tournament but every match they i just see them loose more and more of what they had going. Though past the group stage it really doesn't mather how you got there. Starting at 0 again.

Splash!
Tue, 06-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Congrats to Italy for continueing into the quarters, should be a really interesting match. Spain vs Italy if both teams manage to play at their best level it should be awesome to watch. Just have to wait now if we face Sweden or Russia. And i hope we'd face Italy again in the semi's. If both make it that is.

And i'm so glad we showed our sportmanship and still beat Romania, i'd hate for italy to go out by us taking it easy. And you really can't talk about sending out a second string team, still so much quality in it. Biggest miss would've been van der Vaart and Sneijder the others i would say are almost even.

Yeah I agree, the Dutch DID have quality players playing, which makes me happy with Van Basten. Between Robben, Kuyt, Van Persie and Huntelaar, I was feeling very optimistic about their performance.
Sweden going through would set the stage for some amazing quarter final match ups so I hope they make it. And yeah, also hoping for an Italy vs Netherlands rematch. That will be sweet! But I am not going to get ahead of myself, the match with Spain will be very tough.

Also, Portugals chances are pretty good, but personally I am not rooting for them. I don't like Ronaldo.

Archangel
Wed, 06-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Seems like Portugal did goo easy on their last qualification match where they lost...
It's not a problem since they were in the same situation the Dutch are, whatever happens in the last qualifying match, they finish first in their group...

The whole attack roster Portugal used was composed of subs, seriously we just didn't give a fuck about that game so we spared our star players for what's really coming at us, Germany

Our last game with those guys was a complete failure but they had the home advantage and they're not looking so hot this year so i think we'll win that one. Portugal does have what it takes to win this championship but I'll be happy if they just get to the semi finals

Also, Holand and Spain are looking deadly, got to watch out for them.

TwisT
Wed, 06-18-2008, 10:03 PM
I voted on Holland. I've always been a Holland fan. Even when i was like 7 i've loved Holland mainly because of there orange colors and Gullit was my favorite player.

And this year they look really strong. My own home team already lost against Russia (Sweden hit a new low).

KrayZ33
Thu, 06-19-2008, 06:53 AM
I voted on Holland. I've always been a Holland fan. Even when i was like 7 i've loved Holland mainly because of there orange colors.

you know, in germany the trash collection wears orange too ^^ and there is a nice song about this fact.

http://www.linie1-magazin.de/ddp/a2008040110232162677.jpg

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussball/em2008/0712/bilder/514er/niederlande-team.jpg

where is the difference again xD?

Animeniax
Thu, 06-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Don't make light of your local sanitation technicians. Remember that episode of the Simpsons where Homer messes with the city sanitation department so they go on strike?

Some enterprising team should wear uniforms made out of astroturf, to blend in with the field and play some stealth ball.

Darky
Thu, 06-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Well to simply put it, we're just having on those safety vests. But still our opponents play like safety cones :P

Ow and for those who are wondering here's the line up for the quarters:

Portugal - Germany 19/06
Croatia - Turkey 20/06
Netherlands - Russia 21/06
Spain - Italy 22/06

Winner of quarter 1 will play winner of 2. And 3 will play 4

KrayZ33
Thu, 06-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Germany - Portugal 19:06

fixed ^^
AA... this will be fun

edit: animeniax

was that the episode where the simpson's house and garden became a giant pile of trash?

Archangel
Thu, 06-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah it was kray

Dam Portugal's game is tonight... I have confidence but i'm still nervous

KrayZ33
Thu, 06-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Hahaha... seems like 19:06 isn't *that* far catched ^^ *nag nag nag nag najajajaaahahaa*

Archangel
Thu, 06-19-2008, 02:21 PM
2 - 0 as of now... we're fucked

David75
Thu, 06-19-2008, 02:26 PM
2 - 0 as of now... we're fucked

2-1

Nothing's done since that reaction is before the end of first period... after the first period things would have been more difficult.

Archangel
Thu, 06-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Yeah and it's still the first half... maybe we still got a shot who knows

We have a great attack force but dam our defense sucks

KrayZ33
Thu, 06-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Woah the last 4 minutes were damn scary! btw Ronaldo = crybaby ^^

Darky
Thu, 06-19-2008, 04:50 PM
And Ronaldo is the only reason why i liked it that the Germans won, other then that i couldn't care less. Even though we dutchies have a thing against germans and football.

And the Germans did it again, even when you think they won't perform all that great they still manage to get it all together and shine.

KrayZ33
Thu, 06-19-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm a bit disappointed that it ended with 3:2 for germany... after the first 2 goals everything was settled for me... I thought they are going to win 4:0 or something... but the goal near the end of the game scared the hell out of me.

Actually I can't wait to see the Netherlands vs Germany... it will be fun to watch I'm sure!

But I don't want to see Turkey vs Germany because I'm pretty certain that it will lead to some pointless and "brutal" fighting in the bigger towns (god thx I'm not living in Berlin)...When Turkey won the streets were full of people in their cars screaming and shouting it suprised me! The same thing happens if Germany wins... so..you can guess what will happen if they play against each other and one team lost :/ but the police know that too and the police in Berlin for example is known to be very harsh (which isn't a bad thing btw, its just that they grab you out of the masses very quickly if you do something, you'd better not have done)

well maybe it won't happen at all and everything will be settled peacefully ^^

edit: btw HAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAA archangel + david

Splash!
Sat, 06-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Wow, what an amazing game. The Dutch got outclassed in every aspect of play by the Russians. I knew Andrei Arshavin was good from the game against the Swedes, but I did not expect the Russians to outperform the Dutch in every way. The Dutch counter attack was completely nullified by the both the pace and defensive capabilities of the Russians. And if that wasn't enough, the Russian attack was tearing the Dutch defense apart. I am actually surprised that they didn't score more than 3 goals or even finish it in normal time.

Van basten actually made, in my opinion, a couple of critical errors with substition. I wonder if he was feeling a tad overconfident.

I have to say, Russia's chances for going all the way look pretty good. From what I saw today, they actually deserve it far more than Greece did last Euro.

KrayZ33
Sat, 06-21-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm speechless.. I couldn't believe my eyes. that's all.......

rockmanj
Sat, 06-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Just caught the game on a replay...I don't know how i feel about having coaches that aren't from the country that they're born in coaching other teams(players for that matter)...It's kind of suspect (I'm not saying Hiddink's a traitor or anything, just saying)... But the Ruskie's played a great game. They deserved that win.

David75
Sun, 06-22-2008, 02:51 AM
I didn't see it coming.
Incredible how the Netherlands either missed it or were totally outperformed. That would teach a lot to Italy and France level :D

I wonder if Russians had a "Poutine" training, with Kalaks ready to shoot if they stop running after 4 hours a day :D (just kidding) because it's incredible how they were still able to run after more than 2 hours...

Abdula
Sun, 06-29-2008, 04:22 PM
So Spain finally wins a well deserved Euro Championship. Can't say I'm not disappointed that Italy choked or that Germany didn't play the way I expected them to but it was a great game, bad calls notwithstanding.

Kraco
Sun, 06-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Funny how Spain got only one vote here...

Splash!
Sun, 06-29-2008, 05:20 PM
@Kraco: LOL yeah, I was the only one who voted for Spain. Seems now there is a 2nd vote.

Yeah, Torres sealed the deal for Spain. I was rooting for Spain if Italy couldn't get far enough. I was glad the Germans didn't win, if Spain were under achievers in the sport upto this point, then the Germans are definitely over achievers. A bit sad about the way Russia got clobbered in the semis, but the Spanish definitely deserved the tournament. Their only half hearted performance was against the Italians.

As for the Italians, Donadoni showed his inexperience as a coach and the Italian Board didn't think twice before firing him. Firstly, Gattuso and Ambrosini don't deserve to play at a national level. There are plenty of other midfielders that can take their place. Secondly, its a frightening situation when none of the 11 players out there on the pitch (except for the Goal Keeper) are playing in there preferred position, which was a constant problem in all of Italy's matches. Strategically, Donadoni was very weak. He failed to let go of the 4-3-2-1 formation, with Toni being the only one pushing forward. Luca Toni, the Italian striker has never played a game in club soccer without a supporting striker.
In the Spanish game, he decided to go with the classic Italian style of defensive play, which although I hate, actually works. Thats all good, but he forgot one crucial detail, you are supposed to score at least one goal first!

Anyways, enough about the Italians, the Spanish played beautiful soccer throughout the tournament and are rightfully the Champions.

David Villa got the Golden boot even though he only really shined in the first 2 games. 4 goals is actually a pretty low score for a golden boot winner and shows that the goals in the tournament have been pretty spread out between different players.

Also, the Turkish deserve praise for a great tournament performance. Despite not having any options at all against the Germans in terms of players, they still played really well.

DB_Hunter
Sun, 06-29-2008, 05:22 PM
After the semi-finals performance of both teams I knew Spain were going to win. Germany are individually crap right now but they excel despite this at tournaments because they have a winning mentality. Thing is this time they came up against a side with real talent and that was enough to overcome their mentality and work ethic. A good display by Spain.

Archangel
Sun, 06-29-2008, 06:37 PM
So are there any Spanish people on gotwoot that are excited with their victory?