PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think the closest person to Pirate King is?

docdan63
Thu, 05-29-2008, 01:25 AM
I've been reading up and I think with all the new rookies, the Yonkou, Kings, world government, and how close the story is too the New World. It's a perfect time to ask this. Who do you think is the closest to becoming the Pirate King?

These are my choices

Shanks
Kaidou
Blackbeard

Out of those though I'd have to go with Shanks. WB lost Ace, he's fucked without him. Even though we don't know who he is yet, Kaidou is coming off a fresh ass woppin from Gecko Moria that he himself said watch out for Kaidou in the New World. Blackbeard just got one of the best logia fruits in the series and proved it with Aces defeat. And was just made a Shichibukai. Although because of the he might be taken out of the running. I don't know how that works yet.

Shanks on the other hand has some of the most powerful people in his crew, and he himself is no slouch in terms of power. He just got Rockstar who is worth over 94 million belli and is still a rookie. He knows how to spirit snipe. And of all of the people in the world the government is worried about him the most. Plus, he learned from the best, Roger.

I think you've been here long enough to know that not everyone in this One Piece section reads the manga. Next time mark spoilers.

tigerleon
Thu, 05-29-2008, 02:56 AM
ahhh.. In my opinion.... i reckon luffy's gonna be the pirate king...
BUT!
thats not he question hmm.......
id say shanks is pretty close.
i also agree with kaido
and blackbeard.
man it could go anyway.
anyone else have opinions..??

animus
Thu, 05-29-2008, 08:37 AM
ahhh.. In my opinion.... i reckon luffy's gonna be the pirate king...
BUT!
thats not he question hmm.......
id say shanks is pretty close.
i also agree with kaido
and blackbeard.
man it could go anyway.
anyone else have opinions..??

You basically just repeated what the OP said...

Assertn
Thu, 05-29-2008, 11:23 AM
You forgot about Whitebeard and the other Yonkou....

Is Blackbeard's ambition to be a pirate king? I always imagined that being a shichibukai was a step away from that goal.

Anyway, I believe it's been explicitly stated that Whitebeard is the closest one to being the pirate king, so I'd have to go with him.

TwisT
Thu, 05-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Same here, White Beard all the way!

He was the only one to be able to go toe to toe with Gold Roger. I would say he was Gold Rogers equal. So the fact that he lost Ace don't mean much since WB himself seem to be the single strongest pirate our there right now!

But i would say Shanks would be Nr2 on the list.

Death BOO Z
Thu, 05-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Actually, Roger is dead for 20 years now. why hasn't WB taken over the post by now?
Roger wasn't a whole much stronger than him, and in twenty years, WB should have enough time to reach the final island and get the tresure.

Unless:
there's a secret for reaching the final island, and that secret isn't known by WB, but Shanks knows it (and hence the deal between the two).
or, WB has given up on the pirate king\one piece dreams, maybe saying that his generation has had a champion, and now it's time for the youngsters to take over.

docdan63
Thu, 05-29-2008, 05:34 PM
You forgot about Whitebeard and the other Yonkou....

Is Blackbeard's ambition to be a pirate king? I always imagined that being a shichibukai was a step away from that goal.

They can't have Pirate King as a shichibukai. That just doesn't make sense. I listed Kaidou because he beat Moria. And he was called a true nightmare by him.

Assertn
Thu, 05-29-2008, 06:08 PM
They can't have Pirate King as a shichibukai. That just doesn't make sense. I listed Kaidou because he beat Moria. And he was called a true nightmare by him.
That's....basically what I implied.

Blackbeard's a shichibukai btw ;)

docdan63
Thu, 05-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Blackbeard's a shichibukai btw ;)

Yes I know. Hes very new to the crew. But I was actually just saying even without it, he was still the closest person to becoming it right after he took a bite of his fruit. He could destroy WB's whole crew with his power now. And I was also saying that Shichibukai can't be Pirate Kings once they have that title. or vice versa title as Pirate King.

In my opinion, even Kaidou can beat Shanks.

I mean Whitebeard is, has been, and will forever be in constant medical attention from Roger fucking him up years ago. Shanks doesn't really care to fight. I'll give you he's one of the four strongest prates out there yes, but, he only has to fight when he feels too proud or wants to defend someones honor. Thats rare unless WB is talking down to him about Luffy or something. Kaidou on the other hand is a real threat in my opinion. Moria (post shichibukai, and his fruit) stated that he was a real threat and that every pirate was going to have to watch out for him. When one of the seven warlords says something like that I don't think it should be taken lightly. It's also somewhat implied that he had something to do with Morias old crew after the visiting the New World, which Kaidou stayed in and Moria came back. And that he left his crew for some reason. Thats a theory getting thrown around boards all over the net. Seems plausible to me. Plus if Moria said he grew exponentially, stayed in the New World (whether he was with Morias crew or not) and is listed as one of the most powerful pirate threats in the world and Grand Line, then he should be closest.

Death BOO Z
Thu, 05-29-2008, 11:53 PM
haven't we forgotten about someone?
while all of the above play within the boundaries of 'pirate' 'Shishibukai' and 'WG', theres one person who is fighting a diffrent match altogether, and might be a few steps ahead of them.

Dragon, Luffy uber father, and might morphin super revoultionist.

Assertn
Thu, 05-29-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Dragon isn't a contestant since he's not...you know....

a pirate.

Augury
Fri, 05-30-2008, 03:57 AM
Speculation is made on this subject will all have a weak base since we haven't seen anything substantial from the above mentioned candidates. How to be recognized as the Pirate King isn't even spelled out clearly. In my opinion the answer should be left at "one of the four emperors," but I'll have a go at it anyways:

What we know:
1. Roger was the Pirate King and left his treasure, One Piece, "there."

Common Assumptions:
1. One Piece is a tangible object at the last island in the Grand Line, Raftel.
2. Obtaining One Piece is a prerequisite for being the Pirate King
3. Obtaining One Piece is related to a pirate's power

Following this line of thought, the question really almost devolves into another "who is stronger?" type of thread which doesn't really have an answer.

I think there are areas that should be looked at (aka the assumptions may be flawed)
1. Is One Piece necessary for being the Pirate King? We don't know the world's status 22 years ago nor Roger's situation relative to his rivals. Being the Pirate King could be something more intuitive, such as decisively controlling the New World.

2. As some people have stated, there hasn't been a Pirate King for over 20 years, so succession is difficult for one reason or another. If this is related to controlling the seas, then the power question comes in... but if it is related to obtaining One Piece, there could be other barriers. Some theories I've heard are extreme high / low tides or poneglyph-related keys.

3. I think the power-only approach is incorrect, since Oda has placed Whitebeard's past power on par with Roger's. After Roger's execution, common sense logic would follow that someone with the same "level" of power would be able to accomplish the same amount of domination if that was the only thing that was needed.

Bottom line: There isn't enough overall information, and common underlying assumptions are most likely incorrect.

tigerleon
Fri, 05-30-2008, 07:06 AM
I'm pretty sure Dragon isn't a contestant since he's not...you know....

a pirate.

haha made me giggle...

i have no idea why....

but yeah isnt it pirate king.??
besides he already has the title of most wanted man by the world government. doesnt he..?? isnt that enough... so im just guessing dragon is way out.. ohh i cant w8 to see how powerful dragon is..

docdan63
Mon, 06-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Speculation is made on this subject will all have a weak base since we haven't seen anything substantial from the above mentioned candidates. How to be recognized as the Pirate King isn't even spelled out clearly. In my opinion the answer should be left at "one of the four emperors," but I'll have a go at it anyways:

What we know:
1. Roger was the Pirate King and left his treasure, One Piece, "there."

Common Assumptions:
1. One Piece is a tangible object at the last island in the Grand Line, Raftel.
2. Obtaining One Piece is a prerequisite for being the Pirate King
3. Obtaining One Piece is related to a pirate's power

Following this line of thought, the question really almost devolves into another "who is stronger?" type of thread which doesn't really have an answer.

I think there are areas that should be looked at (aka the assumptions may be flawed)
1. Is One Piece necessary for being the Pirate King? We don't know the world's status 22 years ago nor Roger's situation relative to his rivals. Being the Pirate King could be something more intuitive, such as decisively controlling the New World.

2. As some people have stated, there hasn't been a Pirate King for over 20 years, so succession is difficult for one reason or another. If this is related to controlling the seas, then the power question comes in... but if it is related to obtaining One Piece, there could be other barriers. Some theories I've heard are extreme high / low tides or poneglyph-related keys.

3. I think the power-only approach is incorrect, since Oda has placed Whitebeard's past power on par with Roger's. After Roger's execution, common sense logic would follow that someone with the same "level" of power would be able to accomplish the same amount of domination if that was the only thing that was needed.

Bottom line: There isn't enough overall information, and common underlying assumptions are most likely incorrect.

As the creator of this thread. I'll have to agree with you in that all of it is speculation up until this point. However, I'd have to disagree on the front that there is a difficult way to recognize how to become or how to be known (identified) as the pirate king. I think there are ways to recognize him. Or at least when he's getting close to becoming one. I mean don't you think there was a Yonkou of Rogers time? Where the 4 (or whatever number) most powerful pirates ruled a part of the seas? Granted yes, he started a revolution, but that doesn't mean he and his crew were the only powerhouses on the seas.

Now. On the assumptions. I only agree with you on 2 and 3. The reason I agree is because they're the only ones that are related. Which means they make the most sense. Assumption number one has been way way too many things based on theories. And Oda isn't letting us know what any of that is. My guess is though. He probably has it planned out ready to go for Luffy to discover.

On the 3 flawed theories. Heres what I think

1. Agree

Although is isn't yet known if One Piece is needed to be the actual king of pirates. I think it's safe to say that it helps them be known right away as one. Meaning, once the person actually went to Raftel, got their crew there, and attained one piece (whatever it many be) that's it. Basically, once they get, the newspapers will very very quickly make it the biggest story ever, since blackbeard becoming a new Shichibukai. Or Roger becoming the king. And to that effect helping to rule the most powerful, dangerous (final place) in the series. So I do think that the new king can control the world to an extent with it.

2. Disagree

On this topic I have a lot of problems. Succession isn't difficult. It just takes long, and you have to have something special in the OP world that sets you apart. Be it large crew. An extremely powerful large crew. A fruit that no one can stop or is very very hard to be it. I can go on and on but you see my point. On the issue of controlling the seas as factor of being the king. You know what fuck it. It is vital. There I said. But you're thinking of it in a different way than I am. You seem to think of it in a way that is the king being the only one who can control the new world seas in one way or another. Politically or simply by means of sheer fleet power alone. I think of it as king of the hill. In my opinion, the reason Roger became the king was because of two reasons:

a) no one topped his power
b) he got OP first

Obviously B makes more sense to my theory than A. But you see my point nevertheless.

And what the hell do tides have to do with anything? I've never ever heard that theory in my years of reading the manga. The ponyglyph keys are possible. But that would mean that Robin is essential to Luffy's achievement. But, unless they hold some kind of unknown power source that only a reader with all the pieces can unlock, I don't think it has to do with becoming the king much at all.

3. Disagree

It does have to do with sheer power, to a degree. It has too. King itself is based on having the most "power" in the land over other people. Someone before, or while fighting with Luffy is going to do it soon. Oda wouldn't be entering the New World empty handed on the pirate king front. So we'll have a new king soon here.

Bottom line: I agree that there yet isn't enough information to decide on a new pirate kings crowning that can be actually called worthwhile. However. So many people have stabbed in the dark about this thing so many times, that there has to be someone who is very close to discovering what a true theory could be.

Augury
Mon, 06-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Not to dampen your lengthy post, but as we've agreed upon, it's all speculation. I just wanted to throw some ideas out instead of thread-killing. Usually I'm more of a wait-and-see type which is why I'm often not participating in forum discussion.

docdan63
Mon, 06-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Not to dampen your lengthy post, but as we've agreed upon, it's all speculation. I just wanted to throw some ideas out instead of thread-killing. Usually I'm more of a wait-and-see type which is why I'm often not participating in forum discussion.

Dually noted

I just needed to vent

toonice714
Tue, 06-03-2008, 10:31 AM
ok before i get into this is there a thread about what one piece is b/c i dont feel like looking for it.
With that said i think one piece controls all the crazy weapons listed on the ponegylphs. With that info anybody can be pirate king and that was probably one reason roger was pirate king aside from the fact that he was a giant, and pretty much a well liked and feared guy among the whole grand line who did an unnumerable amount of feats that lead to his fame which raised his bounty, and he was coupled with an awsome crew that did the same ........oh wait that sounds remarkably like one of the characters in one piece.....uh i think his name was...luffy or something.....no wait....it was goku.....yeah thats it! it was goku but i think he's still on namek.......oh well

poopdeville
Wed, 06-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Yeah it might as well be called Dragon Ball Sea.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 06-17-2008, 04:38 AM
I suppose you could if One Piece had every character fighting the same way and everyone in the Strawhats besides Luffy was completely useless and the entire series took place on one island.

poopdeville
Wed, 06-18-2008, 02:09 AM

I think his ambition is to become the PK. Crocodile's definitely was. So is Don Quixote's, and it was Moria's too.

It is a step back, if you think of becoming a Shichibukai as becoming a "government dog". On the other hand, becoming one gives a chance to grow in power without government interference -- Crocodile had Baroque Works and a killer plan for world domination, and Moria had his Zombie Island of Doom. The Marines certainly don't think of the Shichibukai as allies. They only tolerate them because they can't beat them without a major military engagement, like a bunch of admirals.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 06-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Don Quixote definitely doesn't strike me as someone who wants to be Pirate King. If anything, he seems to think the idea of pirates as ridiculous. He believes in a new world order or something. And the Pirate King isn't new, he's oldschool.

poopdeville
Wed, 06-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Sure, but what would he be if he got his New World Order? Effectively, the PK. I mean, if he wants to show someone like Shanks the folly of dreaming, he's going to have to crush Shanks' (and everybody elses') ambition.