PDA

View Full Version : Wireless headphones+mic

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-24-2008, 01:10 AM
Okay, I've been looking around for these for a while. I've seen heaps of heaps of headsets with mic for PC voice chat. I've also found a nice variety of those wireless headphones that lets you wonder around the a fair distance from your HiFi while giving others some peace and quiet. But I haven't found a product that has headphone, mic AND wireless function at all.

We use a broadband phone (not voip) for international calling to our relatives and stuff, and we'll be using it more and more. It's a cheaper alternative to landline phone calls. Only thing is, you're tied to the spot. You're forced to sit at your computer, and due to timezone differences, calls always seem to take place when you need to do other things, like cook dinner or other household jobs.

That's when I came up with this idea to get a wireless chatting device, only to find that it doesn't seem to exist. I'm probably looking in the wrong places though, or just plain blind, so does anyone have an idea where I can find something like this?

EDIT: I can't believe it. I just used some slightly different terms and found this.
Anway, I'll change the question a bit. Will I be able to plug this into a USB port and just register it as a mic and speaker, or does it have to be a voip modem? I'm not sure if the software we've got is voip. It's called a "broadband phone", but it's really just a program that lets you talk over the computer to other computers or phones, not unlike Skype. We get a regular phone number, and other people ring us on that number.

Link: http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/coolgear/wireless/soa/Wireless-headset-for-VoIP-and-play/0,139023505,139265926,00.htm

EDIT2: shit, it's a whopping $720AUD. I think I'll just be looking for a wireless headset with mic. Nothing else.

EDIT3: Forget it, problem solved. Found a product, but 10m probably isn't enough. Oh well.

David75
Sat, 05-24-2008, 02:31 AM
You've got no usb cheap alternatives:
http://www.sumakaya.com/product.asp?sku=HMLW000001
The advantage is that most of the time you get good range.
This device is only for show, you can choose quality amongst gazillions of offers

Bluetooth is limited to 10 meters by design. You can do sometimes a little more, but it's only luck...

I don't know why you're reluctant to non usb devices, because you'll have far more choices.

Plus you can always use this cheap trick:

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USBG-SV5&cats=121&catid=136%2C121

a micro usb soundcard, mic and stereo out you set up once.

It's now up to you ;)

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-24-2008, 02:41 AM
The item on the first link...does that hook up to a computer?

I guess I was looking at USB devices since we'll have to make the calls through the computer, and I couldn't really think of anything else other than a USB port to put it through. Unless it's like a wireless repeater/access point that relays the green audio and red mic signals through an antenna to a headset or something. I don't think my mum likes the idea of the hefty belt-clip radio ones, but she'll use it if she had to. I was mainly looking at something that could do, maybe 15m, so we can use it around the house. Mum wanted it to use it while cooking.

David75
Sat, 05-24-2008, 05:15 AM
The item on the first link...does that hook up to a computer?

I guess I was looking at USB devices since we'll have to make the calls through the computer, and I couldn't really think of anything else other than a USB port to put it through. Unless it's like a wireless repeater/access point that relays the green audio and red mic signals through an antenna to a headset or something. I don't think my mum likes the idea of the hefty belt-clip radio ones, but she'll use it if she had to. I was mainly looking at something that could do, maybe 15m, so we can use it around the house. Mum wanted it to use it while cooking.

Yes the kind of device I showed as an emitter and a receiver and hooks to audio inputs/outputs of your computer. The one I showed seems to be of a low quality, however there are lots of devices of this kind from all ranges.
Usually you can have 30 to 50 meters range in real house environments with good ones. 15 meters in real house environment should be achevied by any radio (non bluetooth) device.

All bluetooth devices are very range limited like this future baby by logitech:
http://gizmodo.com/363722/logitech-wireless-stereo-headset-is-an-uncommon-but-useful-pc-accessory

you could always use a long usb cord, a cheap powered usb switch and another long cord to extend the range, or at least try to have the emitter better placed. However any wall will just reduce the range by a great margin.

I'll update with more products. I have help to provide to my wife...

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-24-2008, 05:37 AM
I was looking at that Logitech model a little earlier, and if its range met my requirements, it would have been perfect. You've opened me up to a lot more options there David. A Lapel / Lavaliere microphone never really crossed my mind, and looks like a viable option. I'll go on a hunt for more devices myself when I get through my exams. Again, thanks for the help Dave.PS: do you prefer David or David?

David75
Sat, 05-24-2008, 06:24 AM
I was looking at that Logitech model a little earlier, and if its range met my requirements, it would have been perfect. You've opened me up to a lot more options there David. A Lapel / Lavaliere microphone never really crossed my mind, and looks like a viable option. I'll go on a hunt for more devices myself when I get through my exams. Again, thanks for the help Dave.PS: do you prefer David or Dave?
David will be okay, We were 2 Davids in my first year of learning English, the other one was there before me and took Dave... which I'm happy with, because Dave has a little gayish tone to it here :D So David will be fine.

I'm glad I searched because I learned that there is Class 1 bluetooth which range is designed for 100m. But you need that both the dongle (or integrated) and headset are class 1.

The thing is that I do not like bluetooth a lot, even for simple use (phone+headset) with small distance and directview from the receiver to receptor, you get many glitches.
So if the Class1 bluetooth route gives results, the best would be to find extended reviews.
On the other hand, DECT or radio 300m range devices are pretty comon and based on a trouble less technology because it has been used for a long time in buisiness environments where glitches are unforgivable...

After much search, seems like bluetooth Class 1 really is a pain in the ass as I feared.
There's the quite pricey BW900, but it's like a cellphone headset so one ear only, plus I do not like the way it connect to a phone... and it seems like you'd still need a BT class 1 dongle, which can be a pain in the ass to find the right one...
However the price is still quite below the AU$790 point.

To me the radio idea I pointed before could well be the most reliable solution.
The usb audio/card dongle could allow for easy plug/unplug of the device to the comp. There are also audio switches (plantronics) that could be of help.

Regarding the cigarette box receiver: I guess that range/quality/reliability come at a price.

Edit again:
I do not know which kind of VoIP service you use, but if it's SIP compatible, then there's another trick to verify:
Use a siemens gigaset VoIP dect phone. I know that these phones can be attached to a wire headset or bluetooth ones depending on the phone choosen.
The base has ethernet connection for VoIP calls and regular phone connection.
The advantage is that you don't need a comp, it's a regular wireless phone, you can use voip. There's still to check wether it meets your requirements and to choose the right one.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Heh, I don't even know if this can be called VoIP or not. This is the service that my parents have signed up for.

http://www.2b.com.hk/eng/index_oversea.htm

Pretty much any device will do, as long as I can register it as an audio in/out device. They were even looking into a wireless phone before, and those had pretty good ranges (up to 50m). Price wise they were acceptable, withing the 100-300 AUD range if I remember correctly. I'm not the heavy user, so I'll let them decide what they want, and if they want ideas, I'll refer your posts to them :)

I think what put them off those phones was that a lot of them had the label "skype phone", and we weren't sure if they'd work with another program, even if it's just an audio device without answering buttons.

Whatever it is that we'll end up with, I'm sure they're going to take their time choosing the one they think is right, and I know that to mean a long time. I wouldn't want to tie you up on the subject anymore David, you've done heaps to help. Now all that's left is for them to just browse around, have a talk over it and maybe pop into a shop if there's one somewhere.

David75
Sat, 05-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Had to search a little to find what they use.
In fact 2b uses a SIP VoIP solution.
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Hong+Kong+Broadband
this link provides with some troubleshooting/ideas.

I guess the next step could be to find a VoIP SIP phone that is known to be fully compatible with this service.

I guess that you probably have some kind of VoIP enabled router where you can connect a phone that uses the service and your network for your PCs being able to access the internet.

It's nice I've gone throught this because one of my customers would like to try a VoIP box that seems to have the same kind of service 2b has... so basically searching for you is also searching for my customer ;)
http://www.vonage.com/index.php?ic=1

I guess 2b has a forum or multiple forums in the appropriate language, that list devices and provide with help.
Most data was only accessible with a 2b account on 2b's site.

To me, skype phones if they are not SIP aren't what is needed. Last time I checked, skype way of working is totally prorietary and not compatible with SIP which is an industry standard.

So in any case I guess our little talk covered most of the possible solutions.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-24-2008, 06:25 PM
So in any case I guess our little talk covered most of the possible solutions. Yep, I think so too.

I guess that you probably have some kind of VoIP enabled router where you can connect a phone that uses the service and your network for your PCs being able to access the internet.

We actually have just a normal router. Basically we just run the software on the PC and use a headphone. I never knew it was actually VoIP, and it has a forum!!! I'll look into that a little later (when I find it).

Awesome info again David, and I hope that sale goes well.:)