PDA

View Full Version : Book: The Twilight Saga

Sapphire
Sat, 05-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Who else is pissed that Breaking Dawn is her reputed last book in the series? I have all of the books, and I don't buy books. That's how much this series rocks.

SPOILERSSSSSSSSSSS:
(Except for when she hooks up with Jacob. Well, Edwards fault. :( That one scene where the werewolves start fighting is awesome. I mean, transforming in mid air? How awesome is that?)

I think I'm going to go reread them now.

Oh, and here's the trailer.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.fullscreen&videoid=33429578

saman
Sat, 05-10-2008, 08:41 PM
ahh, you beat me to the punch. i wanted to start a thread.

i bought new moon and eclipse yesterday, and just finished reading eclipse, the third book, not ten minutes ago. lol actually finished the entire series in less than a week because i couldn't put them down. i actually can't believe how good this series is. it just sucks you in, and makes you empathize with the characters so much. i also want an edward cullen of my own kplz.

i'm not mad that breaking dawn might be the last book though. just as long as it ends the series well. can't wait for august.

SPOILERS!!!!
the scene in eclipse when seth and riley, and edward and victoria fight. so cool

EDIT: about the upcoming movie, i can't think of anyone more perfect to play edward than robert pattinson. props to the casting guy for that one. bella looks fine enough, but i guess we'll have to wait to see how the actress plays our favourite hapless, klutzy heroine

Sapphire
Sun, 05-11-2008, 05:05 AM
Go read The Host by Meyer. I decided to read this instead of rereading the series. It came out like last week. I'm absolutely floored by her increase in writing ability, and it's nothing like you'd expect from the same author of Twilight, but you can't be surprised by her talent, only impressed lol. It's a different kind of novel, considered 'adult' by reviewers.

Movie: I'm liking the tone of this movie. I read the book in the tone of being a bittersweet, suspenseful, and slightly melancholic (with clair de lune playing in the background; some dreary town with hardly the sun), but this dark creepy tone works too. Whoever said "she's not one of us!" is a terrible actor lol. This movie has potential. I just hope it doesn't turn into something shitty like The Covenant or Jumper, and the wire stuff isn't too crappy. But I randomly opened a passage of Twilight and Bella said flying with Edward was just like fluidly fast running or something, so hopefully it isn't too messed up. Can't wait till December!

Oh and did I mention Edward's intensity is like perfect? Tehe. Tehe.

Review/Spoilers: Bella sucks so much sometimes. I understand that she's pissed that Edward left her, in fact I enjoyed it when she was hopeless for like 4 months (4 blank pages), I even tolerated Jacob for some reason. But wanting to become a vampire to suck off (that's what she said) cows every other day is preferable to marrying Edward!

"Oh God, spending an endless eternity of boredom and mind manipulation is unbearable if I have to spend it with the love of my life! Oh Jacob, the more I age the more difficult this decision comes! *falls into Jacob, the lanky teen native-american werewolves arms as he caresses her eagerly yet awkwardly*"

saman
Sun, 05-11-2008, 03:40 PM
uhm, did i miss something? as far as i could tell, bella wants to be a vampire so she can spend forever with edward. she's just averse to the idea of marrying so young, because her mother's marriage turned out so badly. it's not like she wouldn't still want to become a vampire if she married edward.

and i actually liked jacob, until he went all "i know you love me and i won't leave you alone until you admit it *forces bella to kiss him*"

about host, i actually picked that one up first when i went to chapters. then i realized that it was written by the same author as twilight, who i'd heard good things about, so i decided to buy twilight instead. i'm definitely going to pick it up soon

Sapphire
Sun, 05-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Bella just seems shallow to me. For the longest time she was pissed that she was getting older in human years in comparison to Edward. Bella just doesn't wanna look old and decrepit in front of bottle of hot stuff Edward lol. Either way she doesn't want to think of getting married because of commitment issues which is hilarious because she wants to be a vampire. *laughs hysterically* I could be exaggerating though, I read these books like when they came out lol. I think it's cool that she already has mind powers though.

I'm going to write a long ass review of The Host btw. I'm just wondering if I should post it here because making another thread about it seems like a waste. XD When you finish that let me know, and we can talk about it's awesomeness. (I read that book in one sitting >.> *pressure*)

saman
Sun, 05-11-2008, 06:20 PM
<Spoilers abound!>

lol man, if you had a hot boyfriend who never turned old, wouldn't you want to not look old and decrepit beside him, especially if you started dating him when he was supposed to be the same age as you? what kind of girl wouldn't be worried that the boy would lose interest in her when she was all old and wrinkly? in bella's case, that'd be even more prominent because she lost edward once already and doesn't want to lose him again. i dunno, i do agree that bella wants to become a vampire right away mostly because she doesn't want to look older than him, but i don't think it's shallow, i think it's perfectly understandable.

i also don't think bella has any problems committing to a long term relationship with edward. like you said, she does want to be a vampire and live with him forever. she just doesn't like the idea of marriage because it's been so hardwired into her by her mother

i think what i like the most about bella is she's not your typical kind of heroine. she's not the least bit girly, hopelessly clumsy, and somewhat naive. it makes her kind of endearing. of course, if she was a real person, i'd hate her with a jealous passion for landing edward, but since she's fictional, i'm pretty okay with her.

i'll pick the host up soon. i just kinda dented my bank account a little bit when i bought all three twilight books in three days, so i'm going to let it recover for a bit.

Sapphire
Sun, 05-11-2008, 07:22 PM
I could always hook you up with an ebook for The Host. *coughcough* I feel empty inside now that I finished the book! I haven't felt this way in like a year! (or a couple weeks? who knows) Ever have that feeling where you read or watch a masterpiece, and nothing next can be as good as that, so you dread trying to read/watch something else?

Yeah, I agree that Bella is worried that Ed will leave her, considering he already did. Kind of sad, really. I'm still waiting for someone to get a hold of a good quality Honey and Clover-type fantasy, where there aren't at least two characters at any given time trying to win the affections of the main character. (h&c spoilers - I forget the names lol) The girl character was totally in love with the guy who was in love with someone else, and she's just miserable and crying the whole time, wondering how this could happen. And then some guy offers to be the rebound, comforting her and letting her cry despairingly on his shoulder, and she attempts to resist but she can't, and she hates this because she thinks if she falls for the new guy, everything she felt for the old guy would be a lie. Ah. Now that's true good angst (but it's better seen than read lol), none of that crappy my babies dad is a deer angst that LKH comes up with.

The emotional issues in The Host are truly profound, but I have more to discuss on that laterz. =3

saman
Sun, 05-11-2008, 08:07 PM
hahaha noooo, ebooks are baaad. i'd rather not read an entire book on my computer screen anyway. it would just make me tired after a while. and yeah, i'm feeling the same way about the twilight books right now. thinking about the story makes my head all fuzzy and floaty. i keep going back and rereading my favourite parts, usually late at night in bed. only problem is, once i start, i can't stop, and then i end up going to sleep really late. lol i haven't had a decent night's sleep in about five days now.

Sapphire
Sun, 05-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I can't sit in a chair for more than perhaps 2 hours at a time. Spark notes and other weird browser based lit sites suck, but I enjoy Microsoft Reader and even Adobe now. Luckily I can lay on my mattress and get comfy while reading, and I can be even lazier than reading a real book because all I have to do is click page down. Meyer is one of the only few authors I'm willing to read something in book form for nowadays lol. Last night while reading The Host, I was totally forgetting to blink. I'm not even aware of actively attempting to read. My eyes were just skimming down page by page, and I'd be imagining the whole thing. So there'd be this whole scene, and then I'd be like... "wait.. what?" and go back to what I thought was previously said, but it was really like 14 pages back. You know an authors good when you forget you're reading while reading lol..

saman
Sun, 05-11-2008, 10:07 PM
haha yeah, reading is fun. maybe i'll stop by chapters tomorrow...

i just found this: http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/otherprojects_midnightsun.html. edward's version of twilight!! also just learned that chapters stores across canada are holding breaking dawn midnight release parties.

i find it very strange how the timing worked out with me and this series. i bought twilight purely out of curiousity, just an impulse buy. then i found out that there's a movie in the making. wasn't really surprised. then i found out that the teaser trailer for the movie had been released exactly the day before i bought twilight. it was like...fate. or something.

Sapphire
Mon, 05-12-2008, 06:47 AM
rofl, I didn't really like Edward's first chapter when I read it on the website a year or two ago, but I will prolly end up eventually reading it..

Oh snaps @ timing! Make sure you don't invite any weird people into your house because I'm sure that's an omen-

saman
Mon, 05-12-2008, 05:49 PM
lol i'll keep that in mind.

didn't get to go out and buy the host today. hopefully tomorrow. i just wish the paperback was out so i didn't have to spend so much money...

Sapphire
Sun, 05-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Baha! (http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/7/74/TwilightSucks.jpg)
Also, this (http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Twilight)

saman
Sun, 05-18-2008, 04:10 PM
haha i've seen the first one. made me laugh.

the second one: you have to be pretty sad, or have a lot of time on your hands, to write an entire hate filled rant about a book you don't like, and then post it on the interwebz disguised as a wiki article. really, if i read a book i don't like, i just put it away and not think about it anymore.

Sapphire
Sun, 05-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Yeah, the fact that they bothered to read the whole series and rant about it is hilarious.

But you should hope over to the Anita Blake thread. Me and Yuki just love to rant about that series. Sometimes it's just fun to read something only to make fun of it.

saman
Thu, 06-05-2008, 08:17 PM
so i went to the local bookstore in the mall today, and i was standing there freaking out over the special edition of eclipse with its fancy iron on transfers, when one of the employees came by and asked me if i was a fan. when i said yes, she said she was a fan too, and we just stood there for like ten minutes talking about the book and the breaking dawn release party. it was actually pretty sweet.

two months left till breaking dawn waaugh!

Stitch
Wed, 07-23-2008, 07:44 PM
My little sister is reading this.

It scares me to think that she could be into vampires.

I hope she doesn't turn goth or emo or something.

saman
Wed, 07-23-2008, 08:46 PM
don't judge. twilight is a love story.

Sapphire
Thu, 07-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Stich, be glad she isn't reading something like Dark Love or Narcissus in Chains.

Be glad.

Stitch
Fri, 07-25-2008, 06:52 PM
If I can be honest, I was worried enough when she started reading Harry Potter.

Now I wish that she couldn't read at all.

Sapphire
Sat, 07-26-2008, 06:00 AM
It must be only a matter of time when she starts thinking she's a vampire or wizard. Don't let her around any garlic, helium, or graduation gowns. All hell may break lose!

No not really. You're new, so go to Flame Pit if you want some off topic complaining. But stay if you want to complain about Twilight or Vampire novels. :D
-
Also, saman, have you seen the second trailer for Twilight (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810010670/trailer)? It looks terrible. I guess I should lower my expectations for this made for TV style MTV picture. The camara angles and 'portrayal of evil' were the worst.

saman
Sat, 07-26-2008, 12:21 PM
hahaha sapph, i kinda dug the second trailer. the first one too. i don't know, the camera angles do get a little awkward sometimes, but not overly so, in my opinion. also, just a minor correction, MTV's not making the movie. summit is. mtv's just covering it because it's bringing them money and viewers

breaking dawn in a week!!!!!11

Sapphire
Sat, 07-26-2008, 12:27 PM
[Meyer] is also "almost done" writing a sequel to The Host, entitled The Soul. If she were to continue the series, the third book would be called The Seeker.

OH God. I got shivers when I read this. I am so positively excited. Have you read Host yet?
-
I'm feeling rather excited about Breaking Dawn as well. I'm totally going to buy it. I barely remember what happens, so I will have to reread the series again. Not too excited about Midnight Sun... but I'll read it because I loved The Host so much. XD

saman
Sat, 07-26-2008, 12:42 PM
oh yeah! i forgot to tell you. i did read the host! it was very good indeed. stephenie seems to really like self-sacrificing female main characters, but the stories she writes work well with them. i don't know how she would do a sequel to the host, though. same characters' stories followed, or different character, same timeline?

Sapphire
Sat, 07-26-2008, 12:48 PM
I quite liked the inner mind conflict of that novel, so I am also curious. The premise and world is SO interesting though. There's just so many opportunities. I get shivers whenever I think of The Host. <3

I definitely think the story is simply going to continue. I think I remember them meeting more humans? I wonder if the humans will do something dumb and try to start a war.

saman
Sat, 07-26-2008, 03:58 PM
with their tribe? i don't think so. the new humans also had their own souls, so they didn't have a problem with wanda. i'd love to see how the two species resolve their conflicts, though

Sapphire
Sat, 07-26-2008, 04:18 PM
I mean humans in the growing group of people who might still resent the aliens.

Oh my I'm getting all excited. Gotta reread this now!!!

saman
Fri, 08-01-2008, 12:23 PM
BREAKING DAWN TONIGHT!!!!!11!!! *dies from overexcitement*

Jaitne
Fri, 08-01-2008, 12:42 PM
I've heard a lot about this series, I've never actually read it, but I know the books look real pretty on the front.

I was wondering if there was something going on about the white and red on black on every book, or if that was just something they did? Someone also told me the chess pieces on the last book meant something.

So my real question is do all the pictures mean something for each book they're on? Or just the one?

I was just going to go buy all the books when they came out in hardcover in a cheap boxset.

saman
Fri, 08-01-2008, 12:48 PM
twilight: the apple. signifies the forbidden fruit/blood theme of the main story
new moon: the flower. just a random picture that the publishers picked out for the book
eclipse: a frayed ribbon. signifying that no matter how clean you try to make a break, there are always loose threads left behind.
breaking dawn: chess pieces. definitely means something, but we're not sure what yet!

you should definitely pick them up, jaitne. at the very least, just to see what all the fuss is about. it's really a very captivating story.

Jaitne
Fri, 08-01-2008, 12:56 PM
I guess I'll have to go fishing for my library card. Because I don't think I'll be watching the movie when it first coems out, unless someone drags me there.

But, I didn't know it was a series when I first saw a book, and then I noticed that a bunch of books looked the same, and someone brought up Twilight and that it was a series.

I think I'll probably read it because it's a vampire series, because my mother likes those, which means I'll have someone to talk to about it. By the time I read them, though, this thread will be long gone >.< and I'd have to ressurect it to talk about something old.

Do any of the book title names go with what's inside the book? Like, for instance, Harry Potter and ---. It tells you what you're going to find in the book, most of the time. Whether we know it or not.

Sapphire
Fri, 08-01-2008, 01:56 PM
The author said there is no significance, that her cover ideas got rejected, and the publisher's just picked what could be sold lol.

I am so downloading - I mean buying Breaking Dawn!!

Jaitne
Fri, 08-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Oh. Well >.> I'll just stop thinking so hard about those things.

Sapphire
Wed, 08-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Damn... I gotta get Breaking Dawn... today.. :D

saman
Wed, 08-06-2008, 04:59 PM
lol breaking dawn kinda made the fandom explode. lots of people think it's awesome, and lots of people really hate it. i'm in the former group :D

Munsu
Tue, 09-02-2008, 02:23 PM
I know nothing of this series or if the following is related (pretty sure it is), but I think some of you might find it of interest:

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/09/stephenie-meyer.html

Stephenie Meyer's 'Midnight Sun' postponed indefinitely
Sep 2, 2008, 12:22 PM | by Kate Ward

Categories: Books

It's a dark day for Team Edward. Stephenie Meyer, bestselling author of the Twilight franchise, has announced on her website that she will no longer continue writing Midnight Sun — a companion novel that describes the Twilight events from hunky vampire Edward's perspective — after an early, incomplete draft was posted illegally online.

As Meyer writes on her website, "I'd rather my fans not read this version of Midnight Sun...My first feeling was that there was no way to continue. Writing isn't like math; in math, two plus two always equals four no matter what your mood is like. With writing, the way you feel changes everything. If I tried to write Midnight Sun now, in my current frame of mind, James would probably win and all the Cullens would die, which wouldn't dovetail too well with the original story. In any case, I feel too sad about what has happened to continue working on Midnight Sun, and so it is on hold indefinitely."

As for the leak itself, Meyer writes, "I think it is important for everybody to understand that what happened was a huge violation of my rights as an author, not to mention me as a human being. As the author of the Twilight Saga, I control the copyright and it is up to the owner of the copyright to decide when the books should be made public; this is the same for musicians and filmmakers. Just because someone buys a book or movie or song, or gets a download off the Internet, doesn't mean that they own the right to reproduce and distribute it. Unfortunately, with the Internet, it is easy for people to obtain and share items that do not legally belong to them. No matter how this is done, it is still dishonest. This has been a very upsetting experience for me, but I hope it will at least leave my fans with a better understanding of copyright and the importance of artistic control."

saman
Tue, 09-02-2008, 03:23 PM
i was sad when i read this. and then i remembered that she's still planning to write more host books, and felt better. then i read the leaked version of midnight sun and was sad again.

Sapphire
Sun, 09-07-2008, 10:07 AM
/SPOILERS

Hahah! I downloaded it last night. I heard it's terrible. I read the first pages though, and it was way better than the last draft I read when she first announced she was going to release. Is Midnight Sun as Edward recollects it, or are the dialogues exactly the same but only with the inputs of Ed's reactions and thoughts?

I am reading Breaking Dawn right now. I totally read the spoilers on Amazon forums though. I also can't help but laugh at Bella's terrible jokes.

Edward: See you at the wedding
Bella: I'll be the one in white!

I laughed about that terrible humor for maybe 2 minutes. Hah! And the whole Jake spoiler... WTF HOW CRUEL CAN YOU BE MEYER?

I am actually at the pillow headboard part. I have never felt so cockblocked/cheated while reading a novel EVER. I agree with the other Amazon readers when I say that the kissing scenes in the previous novels were hotter than the "sex" scenes here. Even The Host was better. But I don't get why if you talk about sex so much you can't write the scene?! I'm deprived. There better be a special edition coming out. Readers say it is because she is a Mormon but really if you are going to write about vampires and talk about it all the time then you might as well give the audience a little bone. rantrantrant.

Edward: I bought you an island, my dear sweet love.
Bella: I hate it when you do that!

Did I mention I never liked Bella? Still don't. But Jacob's outraged cries sort of moved me emotionally. I understand her dilemma even though I still don't like her. I am appalled at how it turns out with him. The things Bella and Edward angst over are hilarious though.

*Night after deprived sex scene*
Bella: This is the happiest moment in my life!
Edward: I'M A MONSTER
Bella: ...What now.
Edward: Oh look my dear sweet love, a bruise!
Bella: Shit. Here we go again.
Edward: I am never touching thoust glorious body again!
Bella: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! *angstangstangst*

Perhaps I will get my guilty pleasure from reading the birthing scene though. I'm sure it's hilariously awesome.

And funny thing I found on the amazon forums:

Edward: I love you so much, I'll eat your uterus *chuckles*

Bella: The Volturi are coming? I need a lawyer...

Charlie: The sky is blue? What?

Renee: I'm still an absentee parent.

Jasper: I'm doing Jazz hands RIGHT NOW!

Alice: I know a crooked lawyer!!! But, you have to change your dress to see him.

Emmett: BELLA HAD SEX! No, really...

Rosalie: After four books, I'm still one dimensional.

Esme: I put my hands to my face in surprise a lot.

Carlisle: Dude, I can't believe you ate her uterus.

Jacob: I'm immature, so it's good I imprinted on a child.

Leah: What's 'TMI' mean?

Seth: I'm totally going to college to get away from you people.

Sam: Crap.

Nessie: Want to see a picture of my dad eating my mom's uterus?

Stephenie Meyer: *mutters something unintelligible*

saman
Sun, 09-07-2008, 09:12 PM
someone said midnight sun is terrible? i've yet to read or hear a single bad review about the leak. the dialogue between edward and bella is the same, but the story of twilight is basically just from edward's perspective. aside from the obvious, like edward's opinions on his family etc and what he thinks of bella, there's some stuff in there that's not in twilight because bella never saw it. i found it a really interesting read.

lolz at your quote. the birth scene is really graphic. kinda throws the entire book in a completely different direction.

Sapphire
Tue, 10-21-2008, 08:28 PM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/40214/tv-guide-specials-twilight-trailer

Anyone seen this? It makes me slightly more excited about the movie!

Edward said he's in love with her quite a bit in the trailer though. I wonder how many times it will be said in the movie.. The interaction between them is pretty cool.

Edit: Wait what? HP6 comes out at the same time as Twilight? zOMG I think HP wins then. The dark tone is just too good to miss.

saman
Tue, 10-21-2008, 10:29 PM
last i heard, hp got moved back to the summer of next year cuz they wanted to make more money. twilight took its spot.

Sapphire
Wed, 10-22-2008, 06:27 AM
What the hell!

Munsu
Tue, 11-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Here's a look at the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1w1jXUOQFU

Didn't see a thread in the movie section, so I'll just put it here for you guys. Not in a mood to create a thread. It's a special preview that aired last night during Heroes.

Sapphire
Tue, 11-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Yeah, that's in the trailers.

There's a crapload of twilight ads and billboards and stuff in my little niche of town. I'm taking pics of them and will post them laterz. Propoganda!

Munsu
Tue, 11-11-2008, 04:19 PM
You should get the honor of creating the movie thread (without SPOILING!)

XraizzenX
Tue, 11-11-2008, 08:28 PM
,,hello sapphire im new here,,and is saw your name online ,,just gonna say "HELLO" ^^ ,,,,AND WHATS ALL ABOUT THAT ARGUMENT THER?? TNX A LOT CAN I HAVE FRIEND WITH YOU

Sapphire
Tue, 11-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Hey. Welcome to the forums! What argument are you talking about?

Sapphire
Mon, 12-08-2008, 05:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly7lnPcZMp8&feature=channel this is so funny!

Sapphire
Thu, 01-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Has anyone seen the movie yet?

saman
Thu, 01-15-2009, 03:10 PM
ha yes. it was so bad it was almost painful

Sapphire
Mon, 03-16-2009, 04:53 PM
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-03-16/twilight-director-hardwicke-hints-at-anime-version

Anime version... I'd give it a try ;D

Paulyboy
Mon, 03-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Hmm a Twilight anime, sounds wierd.. but you never know :). Loved the book (read the 1st), gonna buy the 2nd book New Moon. Thought the movie was alright but it was way different especially no "I love you" at the end. But I heard they are getting a new director.

Sapphire
Mon, 08-03-2009, 12:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgygFh6oLOw

And I thought Twilight was bad.

Death BOO Z
Mon, 08-03-2009, 03:54 AM
is there no limit?

I guess not.

"we need your transcripts"
"these are not the droids you're looking for"

the trailer looks like it belongs 20 years back in the past, when you could call an evil character Damien and still be witty.

Sapphire
Tue, 08-04-2009, 04:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyldfq0kQOc

THIS IS THE FUNNIEST VIDEO I HAVE EVER SEEN hahahah

Animeniax
Tue, 08-04-2009, 04:30 PM
As far as the books go, would this be a series that would be embarrassing for a guy to buy from the bookstore? Would I have to say it's for a gf in order to make it out of the store?

Sapphire
Tue, 08-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Um, I don't think it would be embarrasing for a guy to buy. I wouldn't recommend buying the last book since it sucks so much, though. I'd just get the e-book.

I guess the first book is worth buying/reading, even if you just want to see what all the hype is about.

Animeniax
Tue, 08-04-2009, 06:24 PM
If I've already seen the first movie, should I skip reading the books? Kristin Stewart is probably the only reason I sat through the otherwise crappy movie, and she's not particularly appealing or anything.

Sapphire
Wed, 08-05-2009, 01:57 AM
All together, the books are mediocre, but they definitely blow the movie out of the water. What I saw of the movie, anyway.

I wouldn't recommend for anyone to read them but I wouldn't try to discourage anyone from reading them either. I started reading and liking the series before it got famous, but with the pre-teen hype explosion, steady decrease in quality of storytelling, and horrible finale the series has turned into pure meh, effectively killing all of my love for it. If you are merely curious about the series, and would prefer not to DL the e-book (http://www.mininova.org/get/2705694), you could just check it out at your local library instead of buying it. I'm sure it has like 20 copies of Twilight. IMO a quick skim of the first 35 pages or so would give you a clear idea of if you would be interested in the novels or not.

Meyer's other book The Host (http://www.amazon.com/Host-Novel-Stephenie-Meyer/dp/0316068047/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249455503&sr=8-1) is definitely worth reading though.. I won't get too into details but it is a science fiction tale that is aimed towards a more adult audience. The setting is earth, and it has been invaded by aliens who basically take over the minds of humans and inhabit their bodies. It is from the point of view of one of the aliens and follows her revelations and experiences with "humanity". The book won major points for me because of the character development and the emotions. It's a bit dissapointing that Twilight gets so much hype merely because of fangirls and most people don't know about her book that actually deserves literary merit. If you're going to read anything by Meyer, you should read The Host.

PS - Or perhaps I just have a soft spot for epic tales about humanity. I am in love with Neal Shusterman's novels such as Unwind and Scorpion Shards, as well as House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer and Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials...

PPS - I might be eggagerating. The first three quarters of the series isn't that bad, but I'd like to note that an immense amount of my enjoyment from the second book on was derived from seeing Bella suffer, as I considered her to be one of the most whiney and weak characters on the face of the planet. Most of her problems arose from her self inflicted emotional turmoil. She was and is incredibly emo, moping around waiting for her boyfriend who ditched her to come back, or to die slowly because she's a mortal human. The fourth book really was a disaster though.