PDA

View Full Version : Souvenirs

rockmanj
Sat, 04-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Although this thread could possibly help me with a dilemma, it could also be quite interesting. What are good ideas of souvenirs to give someone form your own country, OR what's the most interesting souvenir that you have received?

Ryllharu
Sat, 04-26-2008, 05:44 PM
It depends on the age of and relationship to the person you are giving them to.

I've gotten liquor, coffee cups, clothing (scarf), snacks you can only buy there, and small objects.

My favorite was probably a set of small molded steel (heavier than tin for sure) figures of Roman soldiers about an inch tall each. I was maybe 10 years old at the time, but I've still got them. Reiterating the audience again. I might not think something similar today was nearly as cool as I thought those were, and still feel nostalgic about.

If they collect something, like shot glasses, keychains, or coffee mugs, then you're all set. Otherwise, try to find something representative of the country you're buying them in, or something you can't possibly get in the country where they live.

- As liquors go, try to find a local specialty. Like scotch if you're coming from the UK, Kentucky bourbon from the US, sake from Japan, etc.
- Same applies to snack foods, beef jerky from a farmer's market, really strange shaped/flavored anything from Asia, etc.
- Sometimes the tackier the better.
- Keep in mind the receiver at all times, and just browse around in a good mix of tacky and more credible stores. Whatever it is will just strike you at some point.

Kraco
Sat, 04-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Traditional edged weapons. Of course in some cultures any knives or longer sharp tools are interpreted as a promise to kill the receiver but I don't think that's an issue anywhere in the West. Though I guess any decent ones will be more expensive than a bottle of scotch.

I have that Central American machete hanging on my wall (visible also in my room pic). It was brought to my dad years ago by some people from a Central American country I don't unfortunately remember anymore, probably Honduras, and was graciously accepted. Well, it wasn't for me, but I have never received anything quite that intriguing.

Animeniax
Sat, 04-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Depends rockmanj, do you consider the US or Korea your own country?

I haven't given any souvenir presents from the US to anyone I've met overseas.

When I went to China and Japan, I brought souvenirs back to the states for presents. From Japan I brought decorative fans, traditional wall scrolls, traditional noren, and tea cups for souvenirs. From China I brought tea cups and a scroll and a green communist soldier hat.
http://forums.gotwoot.net/gallery/files/1/0/8/7/0/dragonball_oolong.jpg

Board of Command
Sat, 04-26-2008, 11:49 PM
From Canada... I'd say maple syrup. The ones that come in fancy bottles.

Eurasian
Sun, 04-27-2008, 03:31 AM
If the person you are giving the souvenir to has some sort of collection, you can always help broaden his/her collection! Shot glasses are always nice. =)

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-27-2008, 06:35 AM
Horrible stereotypes are a big plus too, at least in my book. These may include cowboy, redneck, or Confederate things from the US, several of Animeniax's suggestions (but broader stereotypes perhaps), beer related things from Germany, cocaine from Colombia, etc.

It doesn't have to be a legitimate or even truthfully representative, but that is what tourists buy, and a lot of people expect to get back.

(Though I wanted a copy of the I Ching in Chinese from a bookstore once, too bad the trip fell through)

Animeniax
Sun, 04-27-2008, 09:38 AM
I really wanted a copy of Chairman Mao's communist manifesto when I was in China, but the versions they had were all too commercial and cheesy looking. That with the green hat would have made a great Halloween costume where I'm at.

Board of Command
Sun, 04-27-2008, 12:01 PM
The communist hats aren't souvenirs anymore. The Fidel Castro hat is common fashion nowadays.

http://modculture.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/castrohat.jpg

XanBcoo
Mon, 04-28-2008, 07:58 PM
The communist hats aren't souvenirs anymore. The Fidel Castro hat is common fashion nowadays.

http://modculture.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/castrohat.jpg
Coincidence?? I think not. (http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/7000/wootmu3.jpg)

Board of Command
Tue, 04-29-2008, 01:00 AM
If you wear that hat then you're a commie. It's a shame the Cold War ended.