PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild of Evangelion

KrayZ33
Fri, 04-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Well i just wondered why isn't there a thread for this anime? (or did i miss it? well the search function didn't find anything too)

I'm a very big NGE fan and when i found that there are alrdy 2 new movies out there called "Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0" and another 2 comming AND a movie with REAL-actors etc, I was like: WTF!!!! why did nobody tell me!!

well it seems its a remake with much better quallity, the story is the same.

it has new scenes etc. here's a link

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=7pfnqsEEEpo (<3 0:52)
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=jHahq1G4n6M&feature=related

does anyone know who subbed this? (did someone sub this at all?)

you know what? i can't wait to see shinji getting absorbed by this "ball-angel"... I loved the scene when he broke out of its body and all the blood spilled on the ground... well basically I want to see the whole stuff again! The best thing is that the ending is different.. in my opinion it was fucked up (why did he do that? it was because of all the otakus around there or something like that right?)

XanBcoo
Fri, 04-25-2008, 06:07 PM
I knew I shouldn't have spent any money on the Platinum Edition DVDs. Fortunately I only bought 3 of them.

This is a bit of a cash-in from Gainaix. I'm still unsure of how many of these movies will include new material, but I'll probably watch all of them anyway.

Also I wouldn't hold your breath for that live action movie.

KrayZ33
Sat, 04-26-2008, 09:46 AM
I knew I shouldn't have spent any money on the Platinum Edition DVDs. Fortunately I only bought 3 of them.

are you talking about the old ones? or are the new ones alrdy out?

This is a bit of a cash-in from Gainaix. I'm still unsure of how many of these movies will include new material, but I'll probably watch all of them anyway.

This might be true but since I wanted to rewatch the whole thing anyways(this is why i came across this), I'm very happy that they actually do it. From what I've read all the movies will have extra material, there are also new characters etc. but you will come across a lot of scenes from the original (better animated).
The "main story" is the same, so i guess they only made new fighting scenes and some "ladidadida" here and there.

Also I wouldn't hold your breath for that live action movie.

Hmmm true... I watched Death Note a while back... and was totally dissappointed when it actually came out then :P
but will it take THAT long?

btw:
It would be even greater if they include End of Evangelion in the new ending.. I need some Asuka-Berserk with perfect animation! Well then again, End of Evangelion is good enough... it looks great.

Ryllharu
Sat, 04-26-2008, 11:30 AM
I was content with reading the manga (much more detail there), End of Evangelion (with Death and Rebirth for the amazing ending theme and scene of descending Series models) and polishing it all off with [Fakku]'s scans of Re-Take.

Perfect ending for me. Anything more is just shameless milking of the franchise that at this point has more fans due to it's reputation than it's actual quality.

It was my first anime after the Sci-fi Channel dropped Saturday Morning anime films back in the mid 90s, but since then I've seen better mecha and better mindfuck series.

Though I am curious if the Live Action versions will ever really take off. I kind of doubt it because they've been in development, without any real production, for almost 5 years. Not as long as the theoretical Live Action version of American McGee's Alice...but I'm not expecting much.

KrayZ33
Sat, 04-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Do japanese DVDs actually have english subtitles? (If not, are there any groups who said they will sub it? I read on iso-hunt that the DVD is comming out next month or so)

RyougaZell
Sun, 04-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Well, just finished seeing 'You are (not) alone'

It was fantastic... everything was very well done, useless scenes were cut out, and the angels looked freaking amazing with the new animation.

Torrent
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=17064

I really can't wait to see Movie 2 with Eva Unit 02, 03, 04, 05 and 06 (yes... new ones!)

KrayZ33
Sun, 04-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Is it the cam version Oo?

Info please :) ty

Lucifus
Sun, 04-27-2008, 08:11 PM
KrayZ33, Ryouga, you two just made my day.

Chirst, I've gotta see this before school tomorrow. No sleep for me. -________-

KrayZ33
Mon, 04-28-2008, 05:51 AM
So I guess its the DvD since its called 1.01 (?) which is slighty different to the Cinema-movie

hmmm I just wondered why they both have the same file size? both have like 680MB (the cam version and the DVD) even though the quality of the DVD should be much greater. Is .mkv really able to reduce the file size this much?

I'm a bit disappointed with the "berserk voice" (that of Eva-00 was fine but not that of 01 in my opinion).. the scream isn't as thrilling as it is in the original in my opinion, but the rest is really just awesome and exactly what i needed and wanted. (But the subbing seems to be a little low in quality, isn't it?)

One good thing is that they seem to use the same music again if I'm not mistaken, remember that angel which was a "bomb" itself? The three units tried to catch it before it fell on the planet and this guitar song was so great when they started running to the point where it would explode... still one of my favorite anime-songs.

Ah there it is http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=M_1XZ2K2fEE

"AT-FIELD AT MAXIMUM!!!" ahhhh... simply the best scene ever

and i missed Pen-Pen so much, good old times

What the hell is that fortress thingy about when the second angel appeared... thats just too awesome man! I wish I'd live in such a town ^^ I can't remember that in the original... all those turrets and rocket launchers

Not only that but Shinji hat a Gatling gun!! How is it even possible to be a badass like him.. awesome ^^ not only that, but Shinji is REALLY more like a hero in the move than he actually was in the series, maybe its because he looks more like one now? (for example the scene where Misato was scolding him because he ignored her orders). I can't say enough how much I love this even though i watched the series alrdy.
Good thing that it was so long ago, so everything looks nearly new to me (even though I can remember 90% of the scenes)

edit: btw I think I found a mistake, when the Pyramid-like-angel appeared they said its the 6th angel.. but in the series it was the 5th, the 6th was the one Asuka killed on the ocean. Did I miss someting, or is the translation at fault?
And this Pyramid angel is really cool in the movie, much better than in the series. This fight alone was worth downloading the whole thing (especially because of the animation) even if it wern't that good, but since it IS good in the first place. there is no problem anyways ^^

MFauli
Mon, 04-28-2008, 07:56 AM
am i doing something wrong?
just wanted to watch it, but the voices are near un-hearable. Sound-effects are at normal volume, though. What is the matteR? :-/

KrayZ33
Mon, 04-28-2008, 08:01 AM
I think I can answer that, wait a sec
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4711/neubitmapey1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

change it to Surround.. in Stereo the voices (and sounds in general) were much weaker in my case

or maybe you want to do it the exact opposite way and play it on stereo and rise the volume.

edit: btw Ikari just said "we have to use everything to kill the last 8 angels"
wtf? the series had 15 angels (+adam + lilith + lilim), they've killed 3 so far... so the movie only has 11? Thats sad..
Lilith looks very different to me for example, no its not that she looks different, but wasn't it adam who is in the NERV-hq? why the hell is he on the moon !? I thought that Rei = Lilith?
Does anybody remember if Shinji ever saw Lilith in the series? I couldn't remember that Misato actually showed him her.

Man this is getting interesting... it really seems to go in a different direction!
Or at least they try to explain things this time...

Board of Command
Mon, 04-28-2008, 09:58 AM
For those who are downloading the Anon release and are stuck at around 14% because the seeders suck balls, here's an alternative:

ASS Subs (http://rs209.rapidshare.com/files/110766247/_dvd__evangelion_1.01_you_are__not__alone.ass)

Get your own raw from somewhere and mux it with the subs.

RyougaZell
Mon, 04-28-2008, 10:18 AM
edit: btw Ikari just said "we have to use everything to kill the last 8 angels"
wtf? the series had 15 angels (+adam + lilith + lilim), they've killed 3 so far... so the movie only has 11? Thats sad..
Lilith looks very different to me for example, no its not that she looks different, but wasn't it adam who is in the NERV-hq? why the hell is he on the moon !? I thought that Rei = Lilith?
Does anybody remember if Shinji ever saw Lilith in the series? I couldn't remember that Misato actually showed him her.

Man this is getting interesting... it really seems to go in a different direction!
Or at least they try to explain things this time...

Its not sad. Its way better. 12 angels. 12 apostles (or whatever you spell it in english).

And did you watch the preview for movie 2.0 at the end of the credits? They talk about Eva Units 02, 03, 04, 05 and 06... this IS already taking a new light. For the better!

I haven't been this excited about Evangelion in ages.

KrayZ33
Mon, 04-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Anon release?

btw where to look who subbed this? animeDB isn't up to date it seems.
(the torrent Zell posted is very fast btw, if nothing else works just download it and use the ASS subs.. btw how do I add the subtitles to the movie Oo?)

what subs are this? is it from the original DVD? or where are those from?

Board of Command
Mon, 04-28-2008, 10:31 AM
I don't think there's a fansub for this. The subtitles are from the DVD.

ASS - Advanced Substation Alpha

KrayZ33
Mon, 04-28-2008, 10:33 AM
so its no different from the version I downloaded from Zell? Because if thats true thats kinda dissapointing because not everything was translated (background voices for example) and some things were weird too.

edit: well the torrent i download is from [NF] which is a spanish subbing grp but they subbed it in english... and the torrent has like 2000 seeders. I downloaded it with ~500KB/s

And how do I get the video to load the subtitles you posted?

Board of Command
Mon, 04-28-2008, 10:36 AM
By the way, this is the raw I'm downloading:

http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=6132

It says 1280x720 but I don't know if that's upscaled or not, seeing how it's from a DVD source... It probably is unless it's mislabeled.

KrayZ33
Mon, 04-28-2008, 10:45 AM
The file size is HUUUUUGE... nearly twice as big as the version I got!
But why should it be mislabeled?
Is 1280x720 that unusual?

Board of Command
Mon, 04-28-2008, 11:02 AM
DVD is always 720x480 or 720x576. In other words: standard definition.

MFauli
Mon, 04-28-2008, 11:57 AM
ill try watching it later, but question:

is this A LOT differenz than the regular series? the first 2-3 minutes, of what i saw, have been 1:1 the content of my Platinum-seriesī content...perhaps with a little different camera angle, may be, but nothing dramatically different.

KrayZ33
Mon, 04-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Well Operation Yashima is different and so is the ending of the first movie, it was quiet shocking!

(Here's Operation Yashima in short, without the EVA scenes etc which were actually even better looking :P,http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=dvr7c4lQ5Oo
The basic is nearly the same.. but the storie really moves into a different direction... especially @ the end of the first movie... adam is burried in the moon, and the last angel (that boy) is alrdy awake and most likely he will control eva 06 (or 05?) from what i've seen in the preview

They have a Moon base where EVA06 is currently waiting.. EVA 03 will go beserk again and 04 "dissappear" and we are going to see a prototype of EVA 05

this means -> many new characters and a new storie

but ya the first movie is BASICALLY the same till the end.
shinji fights off 3 angels like he did in the first episodes.. but the fight against Ramiel is just awesome... so much better than in the original series not only because of the animation, but because of the music and SOUNDS... god its so cool when this thing starts screaming out of pain!

Board of Command
Mon, 04-28-2008, 01:59 PM
The subtitle file I posted earlier doesn't match the timing of the raw I posted. The "official" Zero-Raws sub file is SRT, which kinda sucks for whose who care. I'll upload a re-timed version of the ASS subtitles later today after I finish watching the movie and confirm whether or not the timing is off by a constant amount throughout the entire movie.

Stay tuned...for those who care. The Zero-Raws video is pretty decent quality.

PS: As soon as I saw this scene, I immediately thought of goatse. I'm sorry if this offends anyone.

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/8414/snapshot20080428151240bb6.th.jpg (http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/8414/snapshot20080428151240bb6.jpg)

KrayZ33
Mon, 04-28-2008, 02:35 PM
This would be great and it would be even greater if you explain to me how to use the ASS file by answering my PM :)

edit: I just found out that the subs are exactly the same from [NF], so i guess they used the same file then.

Board of Command
Mon, 04-28-2008, 04:27 PM
As promised, here's the re-timed, fixed and modified subtitles to be used for the Zero-Raws version. I can't guarantee it'll work for other releases. It probably won't.

edit: Uploaded a new version that fixes the title screen subs. Only replace the old one if you're a perfectionist.

MFauli
Mon, 04-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Watched the first hours, wah, im not used to watch something so long.
Anyway, from that 60 minutes, this seems to be rather for the hardcore NGE-fans...nothing new so far, of course a few different looking scenes...but i wouldnt recommend it to someone who "only" likes NGE.

But im a rather hardcore NGE-fan, so ill keep watching ;)

KrayZ33
Tue, 04-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Anyway, from that 60 minutes, this seems to be rather for the hardcore NGE-fans...nothing new so far, of course a few different looking scenes...but i wouldnt recommend it to someone who "only" likes NGE.

Watch the whole thing before you say something like that (the last 30 minutes were truely the most awesome part) and not only that, but its a "re-make" so what did you except? :)
The main part of the story will remain the same, which is actually a good thing because the it is a very mysterious and good one... but it cleary gets into a different direction if you watched the preview. New EVA-Units, new pilots which will sooner or later lead to new fighting scenes and to a new ending... and there are less "angel"-fights.. Rebuild of Evangelion only has 11 angels, the series had like 15.

And the most important thing is that they seem to explain more stuff... especially the "scenario" they are "playing". (keep the moon scene in mind etc)

I don't know why you would recommend the movie only to "hardcore fans".
It has awesome animation, awesome fighting scenes and awesome Mechas and as mentioned before, a really good story... so it will be new for everyone not only for hardcore fans.
I'd like to know for example how Shinji will evole in this new storie.. I hope it will be a less "crazy" ending... maybe even a "happy ending"? Shinji x Asuka = <3 maybe :)?

MFauli
Tue, 04-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Well, yeah, the animation for the third angel was awsome.

But am i wrong, or...does the use of music kinda suck...hard? From my memory, the soundtrack of the original series made a much bigger impact on the respective scene...here it just...is there.

And i didnt know that it was just a visual remake, i thought theyīre going to envision a new story development, again.

KrayZ33
Tue, 04-29-2008, 01:32 PM
they are, but not from the very beginning.. I guess the REAL difference will start in the third movie, because thats the point where the original changed extremely... the first part was a bit more comedy etc. while the later part was "extremely" brutal and crazy ^^ (it changed when Shinji got consumed by the big "ball angel")

and actually i liked the music ESPECIALLY the one against the third one Oo... and that soundtrack never appeared in the original, its a new one. The song is very good, its like you watch a WW2-movie.. at has something "heroic" in it because of the choir etc.

that is, if you are talking about the one from 1:25:05 - 1:28:45
if you mean the other one, where they build up everything and explained the tactic, then it had the exact same feeling... can't feel a difference there.. well maybe it isn't as loud during the bombardment, but thats better this way because the turrets had an amazing firing-sound ^^

it was always meant to be a music for "preparation" etc... if I'm not mistaken the song is even called something like that "Getting prepared" or "Preperation" something like that and I think that track does a good job in this matter.
To be honest I don't know what you are talking about ^^ the music is decent... its neither "better" or "worse" than in other animes. It wasn't too loud and it wasn't to weak either... it felt the same way in the series. It's nothing outrageous, but far away from "kinda sucked" I think. For me the NGE soundstracks are in the upper part of the "Anime Music Soundtracks-chart-list"

MFauli
Tue, 04-29-2008, 01:53 PM
its neither "better" or "worse" than in other animes.

I just thought that the music left a bigger impact to me in the original series, but perhaps i just cant remember it exactly ;)

KrayZ33
Tue, 04-29-2008, 02:28 PM
well I'm not sure myself... but I wasn't disappointed with the music at all and when I watched NGE back then (some time passed since I last watched it... I think ~6 years?) I thought "the music is good!", too. But I don't think it was "that" special and as I said, it's the same soundtrack (except if you are talking about the track when he picked up the gun again).. it might be a bit louder in the original series... but not that much of a difference.. actually, it is good that the music is actually a *bit* weaker... because the rifle sounds etc are great ^^.. it was really cool when the shells of the turrets flew towards the Angel, it made a nice "woosh" ^^

RyougaZell
Tue, 04-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Sad thing is that it will be at least another 3 years until we see the other 3 movies.

KrayZ33
Tue, 04-29-2008, 03:25 PM
well 2.0 won't take that long (maybe a few month till its on DVD after its in the cinema) but until the last movie is out... ya it will take very long..

Y
Tue, 04-29-2008, 04:18 PM
I had an old Evangelion thread but I'll post here instead I guess.

Since the third and fourth movies are going to be shown alongside each other (i.e. basically one feature) it won't be too long until we see the end of this movie series. Maybe 2009.

The first movie is entirely pointless. It's almost a shot-for-shot remake of the first six episodes with some very minor edits for time and continuity changes. The preview for Evangelion 2.0 is interesting enough though. Maybe Anno is going to pitch this as the definitive Evangelion story.

KrayZ33
Tue, 04-29-2008, 04:28 PM
What does this actually mean "showing along side" etc.? Are they shown directly after each other? or does cinema-1 show 3.0 and cinema-2 4.0?
And ya 1.0(1) was really 90% the same just with better animation for the first hour... but I wasn't disappointed with it because of the last 30 minutes ^_^

XanBcoo
Tue, 04-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Maybe Anno is going to pitch this as the definitive Evangelion story.
Oh shit, he's done that before out of spite. I hope that this time it's in good spirits and will be at least somewhat comprehensible.

What does this actually mean "showing along side" etc.? Are they shown directly after each other? or does cinema-1 show 3.0 and cinema-2 4.0?
What the hell does it matter? Unless you're planning on flying to Japan, you're question is irrelevant. They're coming out at the same time.

KrayZ33
Wed, 04-30-2008, 05:55 AM
What the hell does it matter? Unless you're planning on flying to Japan, you're question is irrelevant. They're coming out at the same time.

just for info maybe?... because I don't understand what it means

isn't it kinda weird if 3.0 and the sequal are in the cinema at the exact same time? because people watch 3.0 normaly first and THEN 4.0... so its just useless for the cinema to show both movies at the exact same time, noone will watch the final if they havn't watched 3.0 before.

and it does matter, because it means that the DVD will also come out at the same time... (most likely)

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-21-2008, 08:03 AM
[Nipponsei] Rebuild of Evangelion - EVANGELION 1.0 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE Original Soundtrack.zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Rebuild%20of%20Evangelion%20-%20EVANGELION%201.0%20YOU%20ARE%20(NOT)%20ALONE%20 Original%20Soundtrack.zip.torrent)

Still waiting for an opportunity to download and watch these releases, but meanwhile, OSTs are out.

Psyke
Sat, 05-24-2008, 10:45 AM
I just bought the DVD, without having any knowledge of the original series since it was widely advertised by the stores here. So quick question: Will I be able to understand and enjoy the movie? Do I need to watch the series first? I had the impression that it was a standalone movie, based on the text on the back cover....

KrayZ33
Sat, 05-24-2008, 11:45 AM
absolutely NO problem there

its just a shorter version of the very first episodes of NGE. (episode 1-6, but has new animation the fights are also different, at least the one against Ramiel, thats just pure awesomeness btw :P)
the story is slighty (or will be) different from the original anyways...

some events are *exactly* the same as in the series and some are new.
I think the second movie will have more new scenes... and the same goes for the third and fourth...

I can only guess, but I believe the story will surely get different from what I've seen in the preview... also there will be new characters involved...

so all in all... no need for the series.
I can't remember the series THAT good, but honestly... I didn't miss a single scene in the movie, which leads me to the way of thinking that unimportant things were left out and only the good parts were taken into the movie.

Ah btw, judged from the subtitles (if they are correct) the series has more "angels" attacking humanity... the movie has ~11...12 (?) while the series has 16 or so

but(!) the movie has more EVAs which is very cool :P (EVAs are the mechas which are controlled by humans to defeat the "angels") because they are the best part about the whole story in my opinion.

the series is a bit "fucked up" anyways and (in my opinion) very difficult to understand because it lacks explanations... to put it simple, it plays with your mind and you don't know whats going on there if you are not very good with religions and myths etc. (lance of longinus, adam/eva/lilith and so on....)

So the movie is probably the better thing to start with anyway

edit: lots of edits :/

Psyke
Sun, 05-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Great! Thanks for your explaination. I'll probably find time to watch the movie soon and perhaps post my comments on it.

Parkalash
Wed, 05-28-2008, 02:29 PM
God damn the first part was great, not just that some part's was newly animted, to me it looked like was the whole part was new, or maybe a few part's was the same as the orginal episodes, but whatever

KrayZ33
Wed, 05-28-2008, 02:56 PM
it seemed that way because everything IS newly animated.. its just that many (~80%?) scenes did also appear in the original series as well... however in less good quality. (or lets say in a quality fitting for a anime-series which was produced 13 years ago

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-09-2009, 08:25 AM
I wanted to watch this ages ago, but all the torrents had really crappy seeds for some reason, or were just bad overall.

But never fear, THORA is here. (In all its HD glory)

http://www.thoranime.org/?p=1182

Ryllharu
Tue, 06-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Saw this at a friend's place over the weekend (downloading it myself now). I thought I had had enough Eva for a long time, so the two of us were only sort of paying attention.

Holy. Shit.

Everything about the anime is redone in massive ways. Well, subtle in appearance, huge in terms of overall feel and effect. I think KrayZ33 is downplaying it considerably.

- Seas near Tokyo 3: Blue in the first series. Blood red at the opening of You are Not Alone. That doesn't happen in the first series for a long time (End of Eva).
- Tokyo 3 for that matter, is a far more militaristic and defensible city. Where before it was largely defended by nearly worthless JSDF forces, Tokyo-3 has a greatly increased functionality for gun emplacements, its own defense batteries, among other things.
- When Tokyo-3 descends into the shell below, you see enourmous cylindrical supports roll out of the way. Previously, it was only the sliding pins keeping the city in place. In terms of actually producing a city like Tokyo-3, this is a lot more realistic in how one could actually support a skyscraper from above and below. The rectangular pins alone would have never have held it up from below.
- Misato and Shinji flip her precious Renault Alpine back over in a mound of ash created from the N2 mine, where previously it was merely dirt.
- NERV HQ is complete overhaul. The place is drawn to a much larger scale, and you can see atmospheric effects in the background as the characters ride down the huge escalators.
- Unit 1 does not fight Shamshel (squidy Angel, yes I looked up the name) starting out with the lame and pointless assault rifle. They give Shinji something actually useful, an enormous gattling gun. In terms of tactics, it actually makes more sense that the crappy assault rifle would be a backup weapon rather than a primary. Plus, we get a very vivid picture of a shell crushing a car.
- The training eva is a freakish partially formed eva! Before it was just a lame plug cylinder with a few extra bits attached to it. That changes a lot about the series seeing something like that so soon.

- Most importantly, Ramiel (didn't have to look this one up), was worlds more elaborate. No longer a simple octahedron with a generic extendible drill, Ramiel was a believable crystaline life form. It didn't look like an alien spaceship, it looked alive. That, and it puked blood. A lot of blood, and all over the school.

Shinji is still a huge pussy, but that's not going to change so I can focus on the tech and subtle differences while I'm not paying attention to the parts of the actual story and character development that stayed the same.

KrayZ33
Tue, 06-09-2009, 05:05 PM
2.0 is airing this month btw (if I'm not mistaken)

btw did I really downplay it that much?
hmmm I didn't mean to...

but for me the "basics" were the same
(at least if you leave out the storyline differences...the moonbase for example)

At the beginning there is the scene with the 3 military commanders and one of them crushes a pencil and so on (it's taken 1:1 from the original series but with better quality of course) and thats what I was trying to say

and as I said there were new scenes too :)
for example the scene with the gatling gun, and 9/10 of the fight against Ramiel

oh gawd, the scene where the defense systems attacked this "angel-fortress" was so cool ^^

Kraco
Wed, 06-10-2009, 10:22 AM
The HD version is indeed quite stunning visually. Well worth waiting, no matter how long waits. The visual differences compared to the original are remarkable - it's good they took everything out of the modern possibilities. It really benefitted the story telling as well, and not only because it drew some attention away from Shinji's troubled psyche.

I'm looking forward to the next episode and Asuka. It's a good thing they have the original voice actors still playing the roles. Although knowing that Rei is voiced by Lina Inverse's VA makes listening to her kind of funny: You can't really find a pair of characters much more different than that. Good work, but still when you listen carefully to Rei, you easily catch Lina there.

RyougaZell
Wed, 06-10-2009, 11:00 AM
I still don't like how 'Shikinami Asuka Langley' sounds though...

Buffalobiian
Wed, 06-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Screw finals, I'm watching this!

-Firstly, I read that they kept the original VAs, but when I heard them speak, it just sounded plain weird. It took me a minute or two to realise that I actually watched NGE in English all those years back. I got used to it in no time, however.

Needless to say, Ayanami Rei sounds a LOT sexier.
<<Rei fanboy meter +9000>>

-I managed to see most of the differences Ryll pointed out, and it was definitely visually improved. Shamshel this time has smaller, life-like insect legs too, much better than the generic big pillar legs that it doesn't even use for flying anyway.

-Also, I must have forgotten to tape this when NGE aired on our Multicultural Channel back in '97, because it's the first time I've seen Shinji fight against Ramiel.

-Hence, I was strapped in for 30mins of awesomeness :D

Kraco
Thu, 06-11-2009, 01:33 AM
-Also, I must have forgotten to tape this when NGE aired on our Multicultural Channel back in '97, because it's the first time I've seen Shinji fight against Ramiel.

Speaking of tape reminded me of the fact they didn't change Shinji's portable cassette player to an mp3 player. I was almost expected them to do that, but I guess it's too integral to the visuals of the show to change. Although I don't remember whether it was digital already in the original. Maybe it was, or maybe it was a small concession made in this new version.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-11-2009, 02:19 AM
I liked how they kept his tape player amidst all this "upgrading". There's just something about him playing it over and over again.

I just remembered something about Pen-Pen too. Did he always have his own room? I swear in the original he lived in the fridge.

Kraco
Thu, 06-11-2009, 03:12 AM
Hmm... I think he had his own (cooled) room also in the original, although for some reason when Shinji opened the fridge door I remembered Pen-Pen for the first time.

digitalrurouni
Thu, 06-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Yeah I grabbed it over the weekend and I loved the Thora release. I cant wait for the subsequent movies!

Y
Thu, 06-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Speaking of tape reminded me of the fact they didn't change Shinji's portable cassette player to an mp3 player. I was almost expected them to do that, but I guess it's too integral to the visuals of the show to change. Although I don't remember whether it was digital already in the original. Maybe it was, or maybe it was a small concession made in this new version.

You don't need to rewind an MP3 player, so the metaphor gets lost.

Also I'm rather baffled at the people praising the visual upgrades or major shifts in the first film. Most of the footage is straight out of the TV show. The only real differences are the CG backgrounds (which will age terribly), the CG Ramiel (which will also age terribly but looks kind of cool at the moment) and a few exposition scenes and slightly expanded moments that are set in new locations. Most of the time it looks virtually identical to the TV show, both art and animation-wise.

Archangel
Thu, 06-11-2009, 09:22 PM
So, what exactly is this? A visual update on the anime?

If so, what will 2.0 be? A continuation of this?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-11-2009, 09:44 PM
So, what exactly is this? A visual update on the anime?

If so, what will 2.0 be? A continuation of this?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Long version:

It's an alternate retelling. In this tetralogy (4-movies), the first 3 will more or less cover the events of the TV-run, with improved visuals and slightly different story. (I scrapped "slightly" because the original was only mostly intact for this movie, and the end was significantly different already.)

The 4th movie will be an entirely new ending.

As for naming:
1.0 = cinema release
1.1 = DVD release
1.11 = Blu-Ray release

2.0 = second movie, cinema release, continuation.

----------------------------------------

Short version:

It's different, MUST WATCH.

Inazuma
Thu, 06-11-2009, 09:49 PM
So theres going to be a 2.0 a 2.1 and a 2.11 ?

Archangel
Thu, 06-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I wasn't that big of a fan of the original but i'll give it a look

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-11-2009, 09:59 PM
So theres going to be a 2.0 a 2.1 and a 2.11 ?

I can only assume so.

Xelbair
Fri, 06-12-2009, 01:21 PM
End of evangelion 2.0 equals more Rei <3

Inazuma
Fri, 06-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Well wasnt a fan of Evangelion, but .11 was eyecandy and the Operation Yashima was pimpin awesomness

rockmanj
Sun, 06-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Crap, I can't get it to run on Tversity at all, and for some reason, the subs aren't playing on MPC. But it looks good ^^:;

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-09-2009, 05:58 AM
[Nipponsei] Rebuild of Evangelion - EVANGELION 2.0 YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE Original Soundtrack.zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Rebuild%20of%20Evangelion%20-%20EVANGELION%202.0%20YOU%20CAN%20(NOT)%20ADVANCE% 20Original%20Soundtrack.zip.torrent)

Y
Tue, 08-11-2009, 11:32 AM
A full (shitty) camrip is out of 2.0 along with translations and subfiles scattered around the internet. Naturally, I watched it (although I wish the camrip was as professionally done as the one for 1.0) and enjoyed the movie a lot.

This movie covers (mostly) the period in the TV show comprising episodes 8-19, although by this point events are changing to the degree that it's impossible to predict whether the final two films will look anything like the TV series. The effects work is stepped up in this one with the inclusion of several fights against Angels that did not appear in the TV series (although I personally find the 3D effects used for the Angels in this movie look like total shit) and the score has more choir and generally feels like a NEW score instead of Shiroh Sagisu writing one new piece and calling it a day.

The best part of the film to me is the interactions between Shinji, Rei, and Asuka (and new pilot Mari, who appeared in the preview for the last movie) now feel much more real and human instead of just being a display of their respective neuroses. A school trip to the last remaining seawater aquarium in the world and Shinji cooking miso soup for the vegetarian Rei add some emotional depth to the characters without feeling cheesy or hackneyed. The new battle sequences, despite the amateur 3D in some parts, are well-choreographed and intense, and old battle sequences have been amped way up (the fight with Zeruel in particular). The trimmed-down plot progresses a lot more naturally this time around compared to the amount of material 1.0 cut out, despite this movie sort-of covering even more material. Anno closes things out with a spectacular mindfuck of an ending (as usual) and a preview for 3.0 that leaves me wishing it was out tomorrow.

So, yes, he's still got it. Sitting impatiently on my hands for the Bluray.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-17-2009, 02:19 AM
I am speechless.

Definitely the best Evangelion installment yet.

MFauli
Mon, 08-17-2009, 02:37 PM
so, is a well subbed version out, yet?

Y
Mon, 08-17-2009, 03:11 PM
There are some pretty good subs, that's not the problem. The only video source we have is a cam, and not a good one like the Rebuild 1.0 cam I watched when it was in theaters.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-17-2009, 06:54 PM
The camrip is a piece of crap.

Even with such poor quality and its negative effect on the fantastic action scenes, I thought the movie was worth watching.

Archangel
Mon, 08-17-2009, 07:53 PM
I'll wait for Thora on this one

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-17-2009, 10:46 PM
I'll wait for Thora on this one

Same. Or any Blu-Ray rip for that matter. Unfortunately, ETA remains unknown....

I'm guessing around a year, if not more.

Archangel
Mon, 08-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Not in a rush

I've downloaded, but i haven't even watched the first one yet

KrayZ33
Tue, 08-18-2009, 10:18 AM
I'll wait for a release with better video quality.
I have high hopes for that movie and in my opinion such low quality cam-rips destroy the whole feeling.

Archangel
Mon, 09-21-2009, 12:42 PM
I just watched the first one and i guess it was alright.

I was never a big fan of this series for it's worthless, wimpy, pussy, (etc.) poor excuse for a protagonist and it how looked so desperate to make its viewer find it intellectual and complex, but this version is visually quite stunning with good fight scenes and impressively animated angels and evas so i found it to be pretty entertaining

The thing that i noticed the most was the lack of the scene where Eva-01 protects Shinji from the falling debris while it's empty

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7968/bscap0381we.jpg

Does this mean that the Evas were built in a different way on this version?

As for 2.0, does it stray even further from the original plot? If i dare to dream, does shinky become less of a pussy? I'll settle for still a pussy but somewhat more rebellious like his manga counterpart. And does the megane girl in the end play a big part? She looks hot.

KrayZ33
Mon, 09-21-2009, 01:58 PM
2.0 finishes off the "old series"
3.0 4.0 will be completely new (afaik)
2.0 is partly new too but it has some old content in it...

btw in my opinion shinji was already less of a pussy in the first movie

I didn't watch 2.0 yet, this is just what I heard and what I've seen in the trailers

the plot however is already different in the first movie.. it will go in a different direction for sure.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-21-2009, 08:44 PM
While Shinji's weakness is still present, he actually looked cool in the 2nd movie.

Archangel
Sun, 03-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Second movie's DVD/BD release: May 26 (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-03-28/eva-2.22-bd/dvd-to-be-long-version-with-deleted-scenes)

Alhuin
Sun, 03-28-2010, 12:56 PM
I was just wondering about this the other day, while browsing through my anime archive and coming across the first one. Can't believe it took almost a year to release. Did the first one take that long as well? I honestly can't remember. Definitely looking forward to it at least.

And looking forward to seeing it in it's 1080p goodness, since I have a laptop that can handle it now.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 03-28-2010, 04:52 PM
I was just wondering about this the other day, while browsing through my anime archive and coming across the first one. Can't believe it took almost a year to release. Did the first one take that long as well? I honestly can't remember. Definitely looking forward to it at least.

And looking forward to seeing it in it's 1080p goodness, since I have a laptop that can handle it now.

I believe so. The first one was released in 2006 or 2007.

It took till 2009 to be released, and only 6 months or so before the second movie aired in Japanese cinemas.

RyougaZell
Wed, 05-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Movie 2 RAW (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=132486)
Movie 2 SUBS Ass File (2 small scenes missing) (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=132903)

Edit after watching movie:

Wow. Fucking wow. Holy fucking wow.
Subs are alright... 3 minutes missing out of 2 hours only.

Y
Thu, 05-27-2010, 04:25 AM
I was tempted to bump my original Evangelion thread. Oh well.

I already posted about the movie and my thoughts on the Bluray are brief. The traditional animation is pretty great and the 3D CGI ranges from very effective (AT Fields were done with, if my eyes aren't deceiving me, along with a good deal of the Evangelion units) to middling (the 3D CGI Angels, especially the clockwork one, look weirdly out of place). The pacing is improved from the breakneck speed of the first film, as removing a lot of the "filler" Angels gives the basic character arcs more room to breathe. Kaji's embarassingly horrible Engrish during the opening was surprisingly not fixed for the home version despite everyone else's pretty much flawless English. The subs I used covered the missing scenes (which are completely irrelevant bits of linking dialogue as well as Mari's enhanced ass shot).

Inazuma
Thu, 05-27-2010, 05:17 AM
It's alright. I hate how Shinji looks tougher because of how Marie destroy any Eva she touches.

Ryllharu
Thu, 05-27-2010, 06:55 PM
I really want to discuss some rather specific changes made to the series with this second release.

How much detail are we allowed to get into without being considered a spoiler? There are a lot of changes that you can only catch when you completely watch the previous versions of Evangelion. The changes are rather radical in terms of how much character development they added.

Should we safely assume that those who are watching Rebuild have seen the original series?

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Great idea. I would really welcome such a discussion. If it is not allowed in the rules, maybe we can just create its own comparison thread. I'm not sure how many people will contribute though.

RyougaZell
Thu, 05-27-2010, 07:47 PM
I've seen the older series, though sometimes maybe I won't remember things. But I would like to discuss (or read) whatever you need to say about this Ryll.

Seeing as the series is quite old, I don't think talking about it should consider as spoiler. The only must should have watched this 2 movies.

Ryllharu
Thu, 05-27-2010, 07:49 PM
I mean I can be vague like Y was in his post, not really pointing out the specific differences. But there are some things I want to hit on that I cannot mention without bringing in spoilers from the original series.

Making a new thread is a waste, this thread would be better moved to the Downloads section if we had to do that, as the primary focus has been between the various versions out there (including the original cam rip). If it isn't permitted, I just wouldn't bother pointing those things out, simple as that.

Seeing as the series is quite old, I don't think talking about it should consider as spoiler. The only must should have watched this 2 movies.
Sadly, that kind of logic doesn't work. Certain people (rightly so, I suppose) feel there is no statute of limitations on spoilers.

Y
Thu, 05-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Just put a notice at the beginning of the post. Either that or I can hellbump my other Evangelion thread and put a spoiler notice in it.

Alhuin
Fri, 05-28-2010, 12:39 AM
Is it not possible to implement spoiler tags into the forum?
I'll have to ask comp about that if he's ever around on IRC again.

I too have not seen the original series for years, so I remember very little about it. I am quite accustomed to what are the first four episodes of the American DVD release, since a friend owned it, and I watched it repeatedly, but everything after I have only seen once. With the exception of End of Evangelion, which I just watched again the other day. But that won't matter, since the endings will be completely different.

In my opinion though, the title of this thread is "Rebuild of Evangelion"... I consider it practice to discuss the differences between it and the older series, much like other anime with "reboots". Gurren-hen and Lagann-hen were discussed, no? Even though there was less changed there.

Finally finished a version of 2.22. Hoping to watch it soon (possibly tomorrow).

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-28-2010, 01:13 AM
In my opinion though, the title of this thread is "Rebuild of Evangelion"... I consider it practice to discuss the differences between it and the older series, much like other anime with "reboots". Gurren-hen and Lagann-hen were discussed, no? Even though there was less changed there..

TTGL movies were discussed in the same thread as the anime thread in the first place, so it was fine for the discussion to take place there.

Rebuild of Eva has its own thread here, outside of any existing Eva threads that discussed other previous material.

~ Where are you THORA?

Ryllharu
Fri, 05-28-2010, 03:48 AM
I like Y's idea. It is going to be a wall of text anyway, so they shouldn't stand out on their own.

SPOILER WARNING: This post contains material of considerable significance from the original series in regards to Rebuild. Moderators may delete, edit or move this post at their discretion.

The best part of the film to me is the interactions between Shinji, Rei, and Asuka (and new pilot Mari, who appeared in the preview for the last movie) now feel much more real and human instead of just being a display of their respective neuroses. A school trip to the last remaining seawater aquarium in the world and Shinji cooking miso soup for the vegetarian Rei add some emotional depth to the characters without feeling cheesy or hackneyed. The new battle sequences, despite the amateur 3D in some parts, are well-choreographed and intense, and old battle sequences have been amped way up (the fight with Zeruel in particular).
I really liked the direction they took this material to.

The biggest improvement was Rei in general. I had always felt in the original series that Asuka's assessment of her in the elevator was dead on, she was just an emotionless doll. This did an excellent job in changing that assessment. Particularly her seemingly out of character need to "play cupid" (as the subs put it) between Shinji and Gendo. Her identity is plain as day there, exactly like a housewife who wants to assuage some disagreement between the two most important people in her life. It really came to no surprise that sitting them down for dinner would be the first thing to come to mind. I felt this was a large boon to her character, tying in reasons why she feels so strongly about the Ikari father and son, and similarly why Shinji always feels so close to her. Rather than being cold and emotionless, Rei in Rebuild seems to have an unconscious desire to make them feel comfortable.

Similarly, Asuka is given an equal expansion of depth for her comparatively much shorter role. Her desire to not be left alone is emphasized with the puppet, and further displayed when she sneaks into Shinji's room and demands that they cease using impersonal names. The conversation with Misato as she rode the elevator was strange though, half lies and half truths. She hates being alone, or more appropriately being left behind, so it was strange to hear her "honestly" claim that. She is a showoff, and likes being around others when she is the best of a group. They certainly made her a bit more of a loner in this, but she's always doing something (playing games, looking at Shinji talking to his friends with anger, and so on) to keep herself occupied or distracted. She is still as lonely as ever, longing for company. No matter what she said to Misato.

Mari didn't really add a lot. She's almost too mysterious, knowing a lot of things that she shouldn't, knowing more about Shinji than she should. It is actually pretty tough to create an opinion about her at all.

Placing Asuka in Unit-03 also built rather nicely on Shinji's hate from the resulting violation by the Dummy Plug. Even that got a large improvement over the soulless hard drive that it was before. While the impersonal, cold block of a computer had its own charm, it twisting forward to block Shinji's view was a lot more horrifying. It really expanded on the feeling of lacking control. Not only could he not grab the controls, he couldn't even see what it was doing, only being able to guess the sounds through the walls of the plug.

As for the Angels, Sahaquiel (the falling bomb) got a massive improvement, changing from such an non-entity in the original series that didn't even come off as much of a real threat to something much more ethereal and powerful. The central part that thrust itself out of the eye to attack Unit-01 made all the difference. It went from a passive creature that was easily stopped to something that had its own will and actively meant to accomplish its mission. It showed resistance rather than simply being caught and destroyed. It actually made it feel like one of the most persistent Angels in Rebuild.

Zeruel of course, was an absolute goddamn nightmare, exactly like it should be. They kept the improvements there pretty simple, because Zeruel didn't need a whole lot.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-28-2010, 04:31 AM
I'm really glad that Asuka is no longer obsessed with Kaji.

One of the best additions character wise for me is Shinji's interest and ability in cooking. This really gave him a different facet as a character (makes him caring and seem less selfish) and a useful ability aside from piloting. I am of course a bit biased since I love to cook as well.

I haven't rewatched it after seeing the movie version, so I will add more thoughts when I do so.

RyougaZell
Fri, 05-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Although a minor character, I was happy to see Touji reuniting with his little sister since, this time around, he wasn't choosen. We never got to see this meeting on the original series thanks to the tragedy that fell upon him. Though I must admit I was gaping at the screen when they said Asuka was riding Eva 03 this time around. I knew what was coming. I knew she couldn't just die like that. But even so it was intense watching the scene. Specially when Dummy Plug Eva broke the plug.

Mari didn't really have time to shine, so nothing to add about her.

I liked how they created a clone scene of Asuka meeting PenPen towards Shinji's. And the damn guy got a perfect view of her. The kick was worth it.

Kaworu's appearence was shorter that Mari, but he sitting on space had a somewhat omnious presence. His action at the end took me by surprise, though I should have expected it.

Y
Fri, 05-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Thumbs up to Ryllharu's character breakdown.

A few things: I'd like to cosign the importance, as someone pointed out earlier, of Unit-01 not reaching out to protect Shinji, and by extension, the fact that at no point in the movies thus far has his mother appeared to save him at all. Am I reading too deeply into the final cue cards of the TV series? ("Hello to my father. Goodbye to my mother.") Gendo does refer to Unit-01 by his wife's name exactly as he does in the TV series, so perhaps Yui's appearence is just delayed this time.

Mari has no apparent personal problems besides her unhealthy zeal for piloting the Evangelion, possessed too much secret knowledge, and is also an attractive young girl who makes boob jokes about herself. Is Anno trying to archetype her as a Mary Sue? I'm not sure.

Kraco
Fri, 05-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Asuka's conversation with Misato was a most perfect example of a last speech. It was almost funny. Even without knowing beforehand this unit to be the possessed one there's no way one having such a speech would end up well. It's a jinx in itself.

Although I enjoy baking more than cooking but I have to agree with Shinta. Previously Shinji was no good at anything except piloting his Eva. Cooking skills even make sense since he was a lonely kid with no parents to cook for him.

I have nothing to complain about Rei and Asuka either. Rei's change was all good. She was still pretty broken in myriad ways but at least there was something interesting going on and clearer motivations to actively do something. I feel like Asuka didn't end up having too much chances to build her personality, especially since we learned nothing of her past, which pretty much defines her whole self (in the series, anyway).

I had no problems with the angels or their graphics. If you have seen FSN, no CGI in anime will make you blink...

I had read numerous comments on how the movie offers more fanservice than the series but I don't really know about that. Like RZ said, the clone scene was a really good addition, at least (damn straw).

depthcharge
Sat, 05-29-2010, 05:24 AM
Interesting show. I didnt know what kind of series this is. A pleasant surprise that it is mecha.

Archangel
Sat, 05-29-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm really glad that Asuka is no longer obsessed with Kaji.

One of the best additions character wise for me is Shinji's interest and ability in cooking. This really gave him a different facet as a character (makes him caring and seem less selfish) and a useful ability aside from piloting. I am of course a bit biased since I love to cook as well.

Agreed, although in essence Shinji is as broken as he ever was small changes in his personality and interactions with others made him much more bearable to cheer on. Not only that, but the final scene was just pure win. I strongly wish that his developments continues on this course throughout the next 2 movies, with a finale of him piercing through the heavens with his GAR-Field ( i made a funneh! )

Although a minor character, I was happy to see Touji reuniting with his little sister since, this time around, he wasn't choosen. We never got to see this meeting on the original series thanks to the tragedy that fell upon him. Though I must admit I was gaping at the screen when they said Asuka was riding Eva 03 this time around. I knew what was coming. I knew she couldn't just die like that. But even so it was intense watching the scene. Specially when Dummy Plug Eva broke the plug.

I considered it but never got too worried, a character such as Asuka with that much of a following would never be killed off this early on. In contrast, i almost pissed my pants every minute Rei got an inch closer to death thinking we'd be presented with mindless drone number 3 all over again.

The really impressive part was how even without Shinji's realization of Touji being the fourth child followed by his scream of agony AND already basically knowing what was going to happen, they still managed to make that scene every bit as disturbing and marking as the original

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm usually quite the fan of the harem genre but this apparent change from familiar to romantic love between Shinji and Rei ( just my view on it, some might disagree ) makes me think that they might not follow the previous clone plotline to the letter

For all you Mari haters out there, quality over quantity is what i have to say. I can't wait for some more character development but for now what i see is what i love, time to start dishing out avatars, sigs and banners in the truest fanboyish fashion

KrayZ33
Mon, 05-31-2010, 05:26 AM
http://utw.me/2010/05/30/evangelion-2-22-you-can-not-advance/

thora-utw blue ray 1080p

came across this while a was lurking for sum pr0n
(hope it wasn't posted before)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-31-2010, 05:36 AM
http://utw.me/2010/05/30/evangelion-2-22-you-can-not-advance/

thora-utw blue ray 1080p

came across this while a was lurking for sum pr0n
(hope it wasn't posted before)

YES!

I can finally watch this :D

Archangel
Mon, 05-31-2010, 05:39 AM
UTW did the translation...? They're ranked below Mazui on Anidb >_>

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-31-2010, 05:40 AM
UTW did the translation...? They're ranked below Mazui on Anidb >_>

... do ranks even mean anything?

Kraco
Mon, 05-31-2010, 07:11 AM
Tell us how it was once you have watched it, Bill. I might get their 720p version if the subs are good. It should fit on a DVDR unlike that 1080p 10+GB monstrosity that will only fit on a BDR - and those are out of my reach for now.

KrayZ33
Mon, 05-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Joint with THORA, translated (from scratch) by yours truly. I actually had the script done the day the BD came out, but there’s a lot to work that goes into subbing a two hour long movie, especially if it’s quality subs we’re talking about.

well, I don't know them, but if they write something like that it makes me believe that they did a good enough job.

I'm not going to download it yet though, the blu-ray release here in germany is just 2 month away (I've waited for over a year... I can wait for a little longer) and support them a bit by buying it ^^. (official dub releases just ~2 month after its release in japan is really good and worth supporting if you ask me :)... even though I won't even listen to the german dub.. ha)

Xelbair
Mon, 05-31-2010, 02:46 PM
I don't think that thora would use their name with low quality subs, so i'm gonna stick with this version - but download is as slow as hell..

KrayZ33
Mon, 05-31-2010, 02:56 PM
tested IRC and speed was around ~280-400kbs

estimated time was around ~8hours for 10gig.

animus
Mon, 05-31-2010, 03:30 PM
Guess I should try IRC, the torrent has an estimated 4 days and 21 hours time left.

Archangel
Mon, 05-31-2010, 03:37 PM
I got it in a couple of hours, you sure you have your settings right?

animus
Mon, 05-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Yeah, a lot of the time torrents depend on luck, and which peers you are connected to. Especially considering some seeders and leechers have their upload speeds capped at different rates.

And yeah, all my settings are fine. Ports are forwarded, etc. It's situational, considering I downloaded the 1080p Evangelion 1.11 movie from THORA a week ago in about 6 hours (understandable since seeders vastly outnumber leechers at that point in time).

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-31-2010, 07:52 PM
My 720p torrent finished in ~5hrs.

Hopefully I'll get to watch this soon (I've got 1 more assignment to do), but otherwise I'll be seeing this on the weekend.

animus
Tue, 06-01-2010, 09:46 PM
DL finally finished from IRC.

When I first saw pictures of Mari I was expecting her Seiyuu to be
Miyuki Sawashiro (Celty from Durarara!, Canaan from well... CANAAN, Kanbaru from Bakemonogatari). Thank god it isn't. I guess I might be the only one but I really hate her voice, and not to mention she's in practically everything in recent memory. On the subject of Voice Acting, I was pleasantly surprised that they had actual people that spoke English, until my happiness was shattered when Kaji's Seiyuu had to speak.

Don't want to be obvious or anything but these fights are awesome with a huge budget especially in 1080p.

All in all I felt the continuity of scenes was a lot better than the first movie. A lot of the transitions in the first movie were really jarring, ie meeting friends for the first time, getting beaten up, then other random stuff. I do wish they could've redone the Kaji and Katsuragi romance and got rid of it completely, though atm there's nothing going on. In the original series I felt their romance was out of place and at times really annoying. Should've changed it to be Kaji and Ritsuko or somethnig. Also seems like they retconned Asuka's silly girl crush on Kaji (thank god). For some reason I just really dislike Kaji.

And like earlier said the addition of a cooking trait and in general a more amiable personality until he starts being a brat again near the end. Am I remembering wrong but in the original anime series Genji didn't compliment Shinji on a job well done while he was in the cockpit right? Reason is, as I remembered watching 1.11 a week ago, I thought Genji was still the same unlikable douche with no redeemable qualities. I was surprised to see that Asuka's synchro rate had degraded already by the time the death of the 7th Angel. A screen showed Shinji's at 68%, Rei's at 36% I think, and Asuka's at 2%.

Mari is a much welcomed addition. I do like her character design, though I'm not much of a fan of meganekkos. The slightly altered personalities did so much good. They sure changed a lot, especially with the exclusion of Toji being the Fourth Child and having Asuka being Unit 03's pilot. Since Unit 03 replacing the previous 9th Angel to be the current one as well as giving the Dummy Plug system a physical form seems interesting. Koaru is still an Angel, but he pilots an Eva/Angel? It's good that the movies are shipping Shinji x Rei. Asuka was ok, but I preferred Rei. The mangas and the movie are similar in that sense, since that was what the author seemed to lean more towards.

I can't wait for the 3rd Movie. I was never really a huge fan of Evangelion a couple years back, but these movies are great. The scenes at the end seemed to be at the level of Tengen Toppa ridiculous. And there's supposed to be 2 more movies? Bring it. Let's hope the ending isn't another acid trip mind fuck.

KrayZ33
Wed, 06-02-2010, 06:08 AM
It's good that the movies are shipping Shinji x Rei. Asuka was ok, but I preferred Rei.

waaaaaat

wouldn't that lead to incest?

btw. kraco would like to know more about the sub-quality
so, how are they?

And there's supposed to be 2 more movies? Bring it. Let's hope the ending isn't another acid trip mind fuck.

not only that, if I recall it correctly, the last 2 movies are going to air at the same time, or in quick succession

Archangel
Wed, 06-02-2010, 06:18 AM
waaaaaat

so, how are they?

not only that, if I recall it correctly, the last 2 movies are going to air at the same time, or in quick succession

For once incest is wincest, and besides he's not really his mom, it's... complicated. Asuka had her turn, she got spooged on and chocked, time to give Rei a go

And do you have any proof on that? Alhuin said he read something similar one time ago but he couldn't find anything indicating that anymore

KrayZ33
Wed, 06-02-2010, 08:52 AM
they announced it when 1.0 came out
but who knows, they might have changed the plans alrdy

animus
Wed, 06-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Wincest indeed.

If I remember correctly Rei isn't a complete clone of Yui (Shinji's mother) anyways. It depends on how squicky you feel about incest. At worst it's similar to his mother, at best it's his sister/half-sister. I'm fine with both instances.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-06-2010, 12:44 AM
waaaaaat

Perhaps. So? :p

so, how are they?

Good. As expected from THORA.

That's what I read. They're going to be released back to back. Let us hope quantity doesn't compromise quality.

Asuka got much less screentime and development than I expected. On the other hand, Rei got a whole lot more, so I'm not complaining about the trade-off (though I'd really like it if they managed to do both, being a Rei fan and a sort-of-Ex-Asuka fan.

Mari... could easily have been ommited and I wouldn't have seen a difference. Her role this time was to be someone to "push" Shinji back into shape, and perhaps a bigger role in the next movie.

I guess that wasn't all though, since introducing all the other Evas in Rebuild shines a lot more light on what other countries are developing and what SEELE is trying to do in general. The TV series was really murky about all that. Heck, I didn't even know what SEELE was until I wiki-ed it 10 years later.

I didn't like the beginning of 2.22 compared to 1.11 for some reason. It just didn't "feel" too right. The fights, on the other hand, were intense. It's interesting how those easy-sounding songs could work your muscles into tetanus.

Another thing that wasn't as obvious to me in 1.11 as here was how fat the Eva redesigns are. The abdomens look so bloated.

Placing Asuka in Unit-03 also built rather nicely on Shinji's hate from the resulting violation by the Dummy Plug. Even that got a large improvement over the soulless hard drive that it was before. While the impersonal, cold block of a computer had its own charm, it twisting forward to block Shinji's view was a lot more horrifying. It really expanded on the feeling of lacking control. Not only could he not grab the controls, he couldn't even see what it was doing, only being able to guess the sounds through the walls of the plug.

Not only that, visually it had the effect of trapping Shinji. The way it appeared from behind, reach out over him and merged itself on top of him had the effect of possessing him, literally just like how it possessed Unit 01. It hits the point home that Gendo didn't just replace Unit 01 with an auto-pilot - he forced his son to do it, making a whole lot more personal.

It also made it look like the black extensions pinned Shinji's arms to the controls, forcing him to pilot the dummy plug Eva. In reality, I'm sure he could have just let go of the trigger, but that's how it appeared. (and I disagree that he can't grab the controls. They just simply won't budge.")

The best thing that happened in this movie - Rei didn't die! <<insert a million thumbs-up here>>

I can't bear the thought of their emotional development going down the drain.

There would be an re-enact of "Ayanami yo Kaisei!" with Anno as Zeruel.

PS: does anyone know what that insert-song during "Rescue Ayanami" is called? It sounded awfully familiar, and it took a few minutes for me to recognise it as the same song that played at the end of K-ON! S1 Ep 1 to attract a certain band member.

edit: ah, "Tsubasa wo Kudasi" it is.

ryan92084
Tue, 06-08-2010, 12:26 PM
i'm still in the process of downloading but since i didn't see it mentioned the thora/utw version has a patch http://utw.me/2010/05/30/evangelion-2-22-you-can-not-advance/

Alhuin
Wed, 06-09-2010, 12:05 AM
PS: does anyone know what that insert-song during "Rescue Ayanami" is called? It sounded awfully familiar, and it took a few minutes for me to recognise it as the same song that played at the end of K-ON! S1 Ep 1 to attract a certain band member.

edit: ah, "Tsubasa wo Kudasi" it is.

Wow, you noticed something like that? It's been so long since I've seen the first episode of K-On!, but after reading, I had to go back and check, and I was amazed. I think this marks my first experience hearing the same song in two different anime (anyone can feel free to point out other examples to prove me wrong though).

I like the youtube comment on the version I listened to: "The bits in 2.0 using this were positively brick-shittingly awesome."

Oh and THORA's release is amazing as always. Not sure why they chose to go with AC3 for the 720p release though, considering 1.11 was released with DTS.

Archangel
Wed, 06-09-2010, 06:01 AM
Wow, you noticed something like that? It's been so long since I've seen the first episode of K-On!, but after reading, I had to go back and check, and I was amazed. I think this marks my first experience hearing the same song in two different anime (anyone can feel free to point out other examples to prove me wrong though).

I like the youtube comment on the version I listened to: "The bits in 2.0 using this were positively brick-shittingly awesome."

Oh and THORA's release is amazing as always. Not sure why they chose to go with AC3 for the 720p release though, considering 1.11 was released with DTS.

Hinagiku sang Cruel Angel Thesis in a episode of Hayate the Combat Buttler once

Yukimura
Wed, 06-09-2010, 09:33 AM

I am willing to bet they did it to keep the size under 1 single layer DVD and maintain visual quality. I am certainly not complaining since my digital media->TV converter box decodes AC3 but not DTS so I didn't have to resample the audio to watch it on my TV.

In any case, I greatly enjoyed this movie and I approved of the direction the narrative seems to be taking so far. The biggest change I noticed to the character dynamic was the seeming reduction of the importance of Asuka in pretty much everyone else's life. I was never a big fan of Asuka and so I was actually pleased by her more limited role in the film. I was even a bit giddy when I thought the Dummy Plug killed her to the point that I didn't even notice that she survived until I watched it through a second time.

The Shinji of Rebuild is seemingly less conflicted than the Shinji of the original series but I can't tell if it's because so much has been compressed away that he simply hasn't had time to build up to the level of angst and whining that he did in the original. Regardless I found the final scene of 2.22 to be an awesome showcase of the Shinji I always wanted to see. I thought it was touching and awesome that Rei being in danger spurred him to get back in the Eva and beat the tar out of Zeratul to get her back.

I was also quite fond of Mari, I see her as what I would have preferred Asuka to be as an Eva pilot and as a character. Here's to hoping her role turns out to be more than just fanservice/trope fodder in the final chapters and she fits into the story in a sensible way.

rockmanj
Tue, 03-08-2011, 01:16 PM
I finally got to watch this, and it was incredible! Still as mind bending and sad as the originals, but it is not hammering depression into your face. I like the changes, and the artwork is absolutely beautiful in Blu-Ray. the next two movies cannot come soon enough.

...not so sure about this "wincest" business though.

KrayZ33
Tue, 03-08-2011, 01:22 PM
they might end it with the third movie.

so no 4th

Buffalobiian
Tue, 03-08-2011, 07:09 PM
they might end it with the third movie.

so no 4th

Who said that?

KrayZ33
Thu, 03-10-2011, 11:55 AM
I read it on 4chan, but there is the possibility that some idiot was trolling, thats why I wrote "might" :)

I'm not browsing anime-news sites too often (or at all) which is why I don't know which site would post such interviews with animators/directors.

Archangel
Sun, 08-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Why hasn't this been posted yet?

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Quickening Dated (http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/08/27/neon-genesis-evangelion-quickening-dated/)

Inb4 wah wah porn site, i can't be fucked to find this in ANN

Kraco
Sun, 08-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Why hasn't this been posted yet?

What's the hurry when it means we won't be seeing it before spring 2013 or so...

Archangel
Wed, 10-17-2012, 01:39 PM
New trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwPtVdm8liE

Good old Shinji seems to be back, curling into fetal position until his knight in shining white hair shows up.

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 10-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Pirate Asuka!

Inazuma
Sat, 11-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Hasn't a new trailer been released ?
I've heard that but I've been looking through youtube to no avail - they all look the same and the number of repost is over 9000

FelixZeroAlastor
Fri, 11-16-2012, 11:19 AM
First couple minutes of 3.0.

http://kotaku.com/5961064/watch-the-opening-minutes-of-evangelion-30-right-here

Archangel
Fri, 11-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Wasn't there this rule against posting RAWs?

darkshadow
Fri, 11-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Since when does anyone care about rules.

Kraco
Fri, 11-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Isn't first couple of minutes more like a trailer or teaser? It's not like such things would always be posted subbed.

Archangel
Fri, 11-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Isn't first couple of minutes more like a trailer or teaser? It's not like such things would always be posted subbed.
No, they're the actual first six minutes of the third movie.

Kraco
Sat, 11-17-2012, 03:41 AM
Eva 3.0 Preview - UTW (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=374877)

Now there's a sub out, in any case.

Inazuma
Sat, 11-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Wasn't there this rule against posting RAWs?

Rules don't apply to anime Deities such as Evangelion and it's threads.
Posting a RAW of Busou Shinki however might get anyone banned though.

Well thanks for the link, because the low res Kotaku feed was just too crappy for me to get any idea of what the fuck was going on.

Y
Sat, 11-17-2012, 11:19 PM
It was a huge mistake for me to watch this. Now I know I'm going to download the first illegible cam of this movie possible because I absolutely have to know what the fuck is going on.

EDIT:

How the fuck is Unit 01 in space in a cross-shaped box? Didn't 2.0 end with him on Earth getting speared by Kaworu?

Archangel
Sun, 11-18-2012, 09:34 PM
... maybe they sent it to space because they were so goddamn afraid of it? I have no fucking clue, will be watching a shitty camrip as well.

Archangel
Mon, 11-19-2012, 04:06 PM
For the interested:

http://www.youcannotredo.com/

MFauli
Tue, 11-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Not watching any trailers to not spoil myself.

I think it is, but just in case: This third movie is the first 100% new material, right? New as in "1.0 was mostly a remake, 2.0 was remake and new stuff mixed in" and now this one being completely new stuff. Right?

FelixZeroAlastor
Wed, 11-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Removed

Sorry about that.

Archangel
Wed, 11-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Keep any spoilers, no matter how vague or irrelevant, to yourself please.

Kraco
Wed, 11-21-2012, 02:57 PM
As usual, the contents of the third movie cannot be discussed in this thread until it's out in full and subbed. Keep this in mind.

Y
Sun, 01-13-2013, 04:42 PM
A sub for the cam is available here (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=391765). Warning: the cam is absolutely horrendous and watching it will only convey the feeling of watching Eva 3.0 while blacking out on painkillers. A review follows this link and I will be openly discussing the film's content. Please don't read if you are concerned with spoilers although I like to think I can review something without sounding like a wikipedia plot summary. This paragraph intentionally too long to get you to stop reading if you don't like spoilers.

This is a tough film. I'm still not sure what I think of it, and the awful cam did not help. Eva 3.0 is pretty, as pretty as the last two movies anyway. I once again found the 3D CGI to be distracting and amateurish in its execution, although by this point I'm starting to see a kind of point in the juxtaposition of the unearthly, bizarre 3D construction of the Angels against the rest of the 2D animated world. The score is absolute lightning; I've been blasting it for days prior to watching the film. The surprisingly few action sequences were great, especially the opening orbital assault on Unit 01's containment unit, although it certainly helps that that's the only segment I saw in HD.

This movie, perhaps reflecting the tonal shift of the latter half of the television show, has by this point gone almost completely off the rails. The first two films were bog-standard adaptations of the material, largely with only the fight scenes sexed up. In this film, leading out from the ending of You Can (Not) Advance, Shinji is thrust into an unfamiliar and unwelcoming environment after being rescued from Unit 01, and it's reflected in the script as we follow Shinji, adrift and purposeless, throughout the first two acts of the movie. Now I'm personally a huge sucker for the introspective, psychological scenes from the TV show, but I think 3.0 suffers from including so much meandering, feeling an awful lot like the tail end of one of the TV episodes but without nearly as much room to breathe. The attempt to convey Shinji's alienation and confusion is successful, if a bit literal, but it chokes out time for developing Shinji's relationship with his father or even fleshing out much of the central relationship between him and Kaworu - I think they spend about as much time onscreen together as they did in the TV show for god's sake, where he was only there for a single episode. The first two films did so much good connecting us to these characters and making their lives seem more real and warm, and all that work is (deliberately?) tossed away or not continued in 3.0.

The film's title is now a direct indictment of itself - You Can (Not) Redo - and it's reflected in the very meta and self-referential script, with characters constantly having coded and symbolic conversations not giving a fuck about what's going on with the plot. Add that to the heavy homoerotic subtext (it's practically freakin' text at this point) and you'd figure this movie was a love letter to me. I just couldn't shake the feeling that the movie felt like the second to last episode of a series that hadn't done nearly enough legwork to get itself to this point and was deliberately obfuscating a lot of things to disguise that fact.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Sun, 01-13-2013, 05:59 PM
SPOILERS RAHHH

A sub for the cam is available here (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=391765). Warning: the cam is absolutely horrendous and watching it will only convey the feeling of watching Eva 3.0 while blacking out on painkillers. A review follows this link and I will be openly discussing the film's content. Please don't read if you are concerned with spoilers although I like to think I can review something without sounding like a wikipedia plot summary. This paragraph intentionally too long to get you to stop reading if you don't like spoilers.

This is a tough film. I'm still not sure what I think of it, and the awful cam did not help. Eva 3.0 is pretty, as pretty as the last two movies anyway. I once again found the 3D CGI to be distracting and amateurish in its execution, although by this point I'm starting to see a kind of point in the juxtaposition of the unearthly, bizarre 3D construction of the Angels against the rest of the 2D animated world. The score is absolute lightning; I've been blasting it for days prior to watching the film. The surprisingly few action sequences were great, especially the opening orbital assault on Unit 01's containment unit, although it certainly helps that that's the only segment I saw in HD.

This movie, perhaps reflecting the tonal shift of the latter half of the television show, has by this point gone almost completely off the rails. The first two films were bog-standard adaptations of the material, largely with only the fight scenes sexed up. In this film, leading out from the ending of You Can (Not) Advance, Shinji is thrust into an unfamiliar and unwelcoming environment after being rescued from Unit 01, and it's reflected in the script as we follow Shinji, adrift and purposeless, throughout the first two acts of the movie. Now I'm personally a huge sucker for the introspective, psychological scenes from the TV show, but I think 3.0 suffers from including so much meandering, feeling an awful lot like the tail end of one of the TV episodes but without nearly as much room to breathe. The attempt to convey Shinji's alienation and confusion is successful, if a bit literal, but it chokes out time for developing Shinji's relationship with his father or even fleshing out much of the central relationship between him and Kaworu - I think they spend about as much time onscreen together as they did in the TV show for god's sake, where he was only there for a single episode. The first two films did so much good connecting us to these characters and making their lives seem more real and warm, and all that work is (deliberately?) tossed away or not continued in 3.0.

The film's title is now a direct indictment of itself - You Can (Not) Redo - and it's reflected in the very meta and self-referential script, with characters constantly having coded and symbolic conversations not giving a fuck about what's going on with the plot. Add that to the heavy homoerotic subtext (it's practically freakin' text at this point) and you'd figure this movie was a love letter to me. I just couldn't shake the feeling that the movie felt like the second to last episode of a series that hadn't done nearly enough legwork to get itself to this point and was deliberately obfuscating a lot of things to disguise that fact.

Yeah.... pretty much, yeah.

When the camrip first surfaced we didn't have a sub linked to the video yet. Even tho I downloaded the sub separately and set it up it would still freeze at points and so basically I was watching it with no subs then going back and reading it. If you look at the sub transcript you'd be surprised at just how little dialogue there is in this film. The bulk of it is obviously between Kowaru and Shinji.... but other than those two and the one short scene with Fuyutski and Shinji there is little to no actual cohesive conversation happening. In the Kaworu - Shinji scenes the dialogue is mostly vague, even when he's supposed to be explaining to us what we're all dying to find out, about the events after the ending of 2.0.

But unlike a lot of others I still thought this was a very fitting follow up. The world of Eva has never been one of clear coated black and white plot-lines, and if you came here expecting such then you deserve to be disappointed. I was of course hoping to see more Misato and Asuka's roles expanded as their characters were really reaching new heights in 2.0. In fact that could have been the reason Anno sought to reaffirm this as Shinji's story, and keeping us in the dark along with him was not a bad idea by any stretch.

I found that the overall theme of the movie came thru beautifully. Its right there in the title "You Can (Not) Redo". Shinji comes out of his 14 year hibernation and finds his decision to risk everything for one person has now completely changed his world. The people he abandoned in order to chase after Rei are no longer the people he left behind. Misato had yelled words of encouragement to him as he fought for what he wanted at the end of 2.0, but here he finds no such support. Shinji spends the entirety of the film either struggling with understanding his past, or trying to rectify his actions. Kaworu wanted to give Shinji his world back by turning back the damage done by the Eva's (somehow), but was unable to. In the next film I'd imagine we'll see Shinji use some of the knowledge instilled on him by Kowaru and try to move forward instead of changing his past.

I see what Y is saying about homosexual undertones.... To me its more about being a human and not allowing male of female distinctions to come between you and another person having a connection. And if you really care for someone you should not be afraid to embrace them.

What I'm seeing overall here is largely exposition. Anno needed a transition into his final act and he has to fit in as much as he could..... although I feel like there was a lot of scenes that could have been shortened or even cut to allow more time for character development. Mari is still just sorta there and I'm dying to see a real interaction between Asuka and her while not in their Eva's. But again this was Shinji's story, and now that he's with Asuke I'm expecting a lot of this in 4.0. Sortof sucks tho that it took an entire film to get to that ending. Almost reminded me of The Hobbit's ending. How long you think we'll have to wait? 2 years at least, yeah? Hopefully not more this time around.

Y
Sun, 01-13-2013, 07:50 PM
This is still a post with spoilers about Evangelion 3.0 in it. Don't read this post if the previous sentence is describing a post you don't want to read.

When the camrip first surfaced ...

Yeah I think a lot of the choices made in this movie are done to send up conventional narrative structure - the cutest trick is that the preview at the end of 2.0 is for a movie that does not exist, an in-between movie after the events of 2.0 but before Shinji is rescused at the beginning of 3.0. Eva has always lied with its previews, of course (the "service" line is less a gag and more a statement about empty promises) but a totally false preview is very interesting. See also the fact that Shinji is the "damsel in distress" at the beginning of the film.

But unlike a lot of others I still thought this was a very fitting follow up. The world of Eva has never been one of clear coated black and white plot-lines, and if you came here expecting such then you deserve to be disappointed. I was of course hoping to see more Misato and Asuka's roles expanded as their characters were really reaching new heights in 2.0. In fact that could have been the reason Anno sought to reaffirm this as Shinji's story, and keeping us in the dark along with him was not a bad idea by any stretch.

Yeah but I don't think the most effective way to do this was to once again make moves to distance us from Shinji, by making him even more alienated and withdrawn. Misato and Asuka have changed their perspective on Shinji entirely, but we have to do a lot of work ourselves to make their characters proceed from the point we last saw them up to now. I think he's made a smart enough decision - usually time skips are just an excuse to make changes to peoples' relationships without actually developing those changes, and refusing to elaborate at all and just having these people continue to live their lives around Shinji works better than having long exposition scenes where Misato or Asuka just explain their changed attitudes.

I found that the overall theme of the movie came thru beautifully.

In a way I think it was done almost too strongly. The themes of this movie are practically all the characters talk about! There is almost no actual character development between Kaworu and Shinji because their conversations are just coded discussion aboout the show/movie series, the value of a remake, fanboyism, etc. For example the "Curse of Eva" that keeps Evangelion pilots trapped in their youth is almost insultingly simplistic in its symbolism, and doesn't really serve the narrative in any way.

I see what Y is saying about homosexual undertones....

Sure, I was just being cheeky.

What I'm seeing overall here is largely exposition. Anno needed a transition...

I think that's the biggest weakness - this movie is so obviously a transitory work, with a big ol Part One stamped on its forehead, that I can't judge it in a vacuum without watching the final film. The first two movies had a much more conventional structure and were more approachable as a result. Recall that this and the final movie were originally intended as a dual feature, and I think it explains a lot of the weird narrative choices. It also can't decide whether it wants to be a rollicking actioner or go down the road that leads to Shinji in the folding chair being berated by voices for his bad life choices.

EDIT:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it was a bad movie. I think it's a tough movie to go all fanboy gaga over, which 2.0 was not. That doesn't make it worse, just different and less approachable.

MFauli
Mon, 01-14-2013, 02:51 AM
dammit, whenīs a good quality-subbed version coming out? not reading your spoiler-posts :(

Y
Mon, 01-14-2013, 11:47 AM
dammit, whenīs a good quality-subbed version coming out? not reading your spoiler-posts :(

See you in June - at the earliest.

Inazuma
Mon, 01-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Daaaamnnn SEXY GENDO

Y
Mon, 01-14-2013, 02:40 PM
More Eva 3.0 spoilers although they are really tiny.

Gendo putting on the head SEELE guy's glasses is just great on every level. It's a metafictional reference (Gendo is ascending to more of a producer role, like SEELE was in the first half of the series, and leaving the directing to Fuyutski), it's a reflection of the fixation on Gendo's glasses by Rei and then Shinji from the original series which says something about Gendo's relationship with SEELE, and it demonstrates literally Gendo's desire to usurp any and all authority in the world in service of his goals.

MFauli
Mon, 02-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Spoiler regarding 3.0 ahead!

Watched it. Goddamn!

Clearly, youīre all right, this is a transitional movie, leading into the final part. But the lack of any meaningful character development was kinda disappointing. The only bit we got were Shinji meeting Kaoru and Shinji meeting Fuyutsuki. The former didnīt have as much impact to me as it had in the original anime, and the latter wasnīt really any clever character development, as much more a mere trigger.

It also sucked that Shinji never got a chance from those that hold a grudge against his past actions. Misato, Asuka,theyīre all just plain mean to him. And as a result, it lead to no development, either.

Of course, the visuals of this movie are gorgeous, and Iīm looking forward to rewatching it in perfect full HD-quality.

Now I have no idea, though, what another movie will be about. No more angels. So will it be about the advent of god himself? For fucks sake, thatīs why I donīt like watching anime with such themes ... Iīm writing a story with similar themes myself, and I donīt want to be thought as a copycat, ugh. The whole Awakening stuff and all ... Wouldnīt be surprised if movie #4 really introduces the concept of gods, with Shinji becoming/being one of them. (yes, of them", plural. As opposed to the tv-seriesī ending, the movies could expand the god-theme. But thatīs just my guess)

Oh, but I have to mention this, wondering if Iīm the only one that got this like that: The whole beginning with Misatoīs ship suddenly being able to fly, the music ... thatīs a super-direct homage to Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water. Right?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgYj-H7AXQE

<3

Inazuma
Tue, 02-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Thank you Mfauli, this link brought me back to a time I had no pubes and my first anime ever.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/360/d/c/all_the_feels_by_nothguy-d5p7709.jpg

MFauli
Tue, 02-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Btw I just read on some other boards, and there seems to the question as to WHY there had to be a 14-year time skip.

Couldnīt it be that Shinjiīs body somehow dissolved inside his cockpit capsule, and magc-timey-whimey-stuff rebuilt his body in real-time? After all, Shinji is 14 years old, isnīt he?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 02-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Keep Up the spoiler tags in each post please.

Y
Wed, 02-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Not a spoiler: The Eva 3.0 Bluray release is being fast-tracked (for Japan) and is set to land on April 24th as a late birthday present for me
Spoiler: The rest of the post after that.

Oh, but I have to mention this, wondering if Iīm the only one that got this like that: The whole beginning with Misatoīs ship suddenly being able to fly, the music ... thatīs a super-direct homage to Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water. Right?!

I've never watched Nadia but most of the main themes from this movie are redone pieces of music from that show, and as Nadia was one of Anno's first works it makes sense that with how meta this show is it would contain a bunch of references to it and some of his other early stuff. I read Kaworu and Shinji copiloting Eva-13 as a nod to the Gunbuster as well.

Inazuma
Thu, 04-25-2013, 08:33 AM
We have liftoff !

http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=view&tid=426845

I feel depressed as fuck now.

FelixZeroAlastor
Fri, 04-26-2013, 01:18 AM
Think I'll hold out for a subbed BD version.

Inazuma
Fri, 04-26-2013, 03:37 AM
This is subbed and 1080

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-26-2013, 10:21 AM
The first parts aren't subbed though?

Y
Fri, 04-26-2013, 11:06 AM
The Evangelion 3.33 Bluray begins with a 10 minute live action short film about a completely unrelated franchise. It isn't subbed because it isn't part of the actual movie and will likely be excised from "scene" releases.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-26-2013, 11:18 AM
I guess I'll have to verbally translate those parts to my friends when we watch 3.33 tomorrow night.

Y
Fri, 04-26-2013, 01:05 PM
I guess? You should just skip it though. It's like an advertisement for something else basically.

vejita613
Fri, 04-26-2013, 06:06 PM
W.T.F.

(In other words...business as usual with Evangelion)

Alhuin
Fri, 04-26-2013, 06:57 PM
I wish I lived near people that enjoyed anime as much as I did so I could have a viewing party. /foreveralone

I plan on watching all three films if I have the time tomorrow. The first I don't really need to see, but it's been so long on 2.22 that I've forgotten most of it, so I figured I'd just marathon them. Then only another 3-4 years for the ending.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-27-2013, 01:26 AM
[UTW-THORA] Evangelion 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo [BD][1080p,x264,flac][F2060CF5].mkv (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=427729)

MFauli
Sat, 04-27-2013, 01:37 AM
Finally, good quality (whats the difference in this download now? I downloaded the 4.6 GB-version, this is 8.6.

Gonna rewatch it tonight, I think. Maybe my NGE-fanatic lil brother wants to watch it, too, would love to see his reactions, haha.

KrayZ33
Sat, 04-27-2013, 10:31 AM
this was stupid and pseudo deep, schiller quotes don't make everything more awesome

a huge letdown

the time skip is horrible why did they do that, no one gets whats going on anymore
instead of answering stuff they just wield up more questions.
it doesn't matter if everything went upside down and shit got real, just pretend everything went according to keikaku and smirk behind folded hands gendo style. Yay

even the visuals were not as good as I expected, the only scene I really enjoyed watching was right after the fag's head exploded and when 08 shot its pistol during shinji's "abduction" scene
weird... it also features a head being blown up.. figures
of course there were more, but the CG felt really awkward in this from time to time, the preview of 4.44 just adds to that.

conclusion: 3.33 is not worth much until 4.44 especially story wise, so I can't even say whether its bad or good

and its also interesting to note that shinji is the only likeable character in 3.33, they probably went for that which is okay, but everyone else went right into the "fuck you, you dumb shit" tier

I don't know if people are aware of this but the preview of 3.0 after 2.22's credits showed scenes that happened during the timeskip. I expected to see that, and got THIS

Y
Sat, 04-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Is this the first Evangelion media you've ever seen?

I already posted my thoughts on the film but to comment on the home release:

Obviously literally every scene works better when you can actually see what the hell is going on. I think unlike 2.0 and 1.0 there are no additional scenes at all in the home release (not that the added material substantially changed either prior film). The action sequences that bookend the film are much longer than I remember, probably because I'm actually paying attention to them this time.

KrayZ33
Sat, 04-27-2013, 05:51 PM
no its not the first, but how does that matter, when this was announced I recall something like "different ending, which explains a lot of stuff" - so far the only thing I can see by Kaworu's speeches (edit: and certain scenes) is that the world is repeating itself, cycle after cycle - (edit 2: yet it doesn't reset fully)

the movies don't work on their own, thats the problem .. there are serious plot holes everywhere atm (I guess they'll announce a new series right after this, if they haven't already)

for example Kaworu's parts are gibberish if you haven't bothered with the franchise before (not only but especially the movies/tv series)

Y
Sat, 04-27-2013, 06:35 PM
for example Kaworu's parts are gibberish if you haven't bothered with the franchise before (not only but especially the movies/tv series)

Well, yes. That's the idea. A lot of Evangelion is incomprehensible except in the twin lenses of metafiction and as an analysis of depression.

This movie series is definitely not the lead-in to a TV spinoff, especially with 3.0's transition to the fallen, awful future that Shinji has created.

EDIT:

I feel like my earlier review of the movie gave the impression that I didn't like it, mainly because I wrote it in a very stupid "movie reviewer" style analysis of how enjoyable it was. Also the fact that I watched the cam pretty much ruined everything on the first impression. Like I said it feels like the movie's script was tailor-made for me but something was just "off" about it. That something was the fact that I basically didn't actually watch the movie.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 04-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Okay, I am horribly disappointed.

While I know most of this was intentional, but I still cannot help but feel that way. I was glad that in Rebuild 1 and 2 a lot of the more randomly depressing stuff was removed and that the story was better for it, but now we get pure randomly depressing shit. So little happened in the movie that it could have fit in 1/3 of the time that was used. The music and visuals were also inferior to 2.22.

I was expecting a lot more after 2.22, but I guess this build up also has me expecting about as much for 4. I probably will not be able to hold out for the BD release of 4, so eye cancer is inevitable.

Thinking back, 2.22 really was the gem of the movie series. It felt 10x better than the first, and like a completely different show from the third. That said, this movie really made me feel a lot of emotions. I'm probably more disappointed in the fact that I did not get what I wanted, even if I know that this may be necessary in the greater scheme of things.

I wonder what Shinji's role will be now. He is in despair, having found out that sacrificing the world could not even save Rei. Will joining Misato's organization help him? I just hope it does not feel forced. Since it is going to end the story, I hope the final movie will last more than 2 hours to avoid the usual rushed conclusion for anime.

EDIT: As always, had the people with more information not acted like jack asses, the whole near 4th impact fiasco could have been avoided, just like what happened in the 2nd movie. Misato and Asuka could have at least not vented on the guy who was sent 14 years in the future with no knowledge, no allies and the whole world as his enemy.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-28-2013, 10:41 AM
"Is it alright to call him Ikari Shinji-kun?"

Yes, that's who he fucking is. Now give him a debriefing. You're military, right?
So much stupid shit happened because no one answered his questions.

"Shinji, the year is XXXX, you have been asleep for 14 years. What is the last thing you remember? Well this is what came afterwards..." Instead the world (what's left of it) got into a big fight about "Pilot Eva/ Don't Pilot Eva"

Did I mention the fact that nobody (except a selected few) knew saving Rei would trigger some world destruction? You go on about this when shit fucks up? What happened to "OMG please pilot Unit 01 and save our lives!! Eva can't move, we're all doomed!!" You treat someone like ass, then you call him a brat for hightailing out? SOMEONE knows how to think..

(Asuka, Shinji woke up from a coma to save your ass in space. How about some thanks?)

I'm interested in knowing how Rei contacted Shinji telepathically. Was that Mk09 Rei, or was it the "original" Rei that we all know? (though really, none of us are sure which clone# she was). Is she residing in Unit 01, or in Shinji himself as well?

Actually, let's just say I'm interested in everything that wasn't answered - like where that 2nd spear went.. why/who skewered Unit 06 in the first place.. why the black coffin in space?

I'll have to rewatch this movie again before 4.44 (like I did with 2.22 yesterday), but right now I'm just shaking my head and forgetting that I watched this for a few years.

FelixZeroAlastor
Sun, 04-28-2013, 11:05 AM
That was... awful. I loved the action scenes but jeez. They answered one question in the movie and gave you fifty more. I doubt that it would've killed them to animate 30 more minutes of film dedicated to just the fourteen years in between at some point.

Then you have everyone being an ass to Shinji. He did nothing wrong. He did what EVERYONE wanted him to do. He killed that angel and saved/assimilated Rei. What kills me is that everyone on that ship knew Gendo's plan excapt Shinji but no one felt the need to comment on it. They just kept giving him the most vague warnings that they could think of.

Hopefully the fourth movie has more explanation of what we just watched.

Inazuma
Sun, 04-28-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm an Evangelion fan, a big one.

I'll just put this here though :
It is presented in the series that a pilot can only survive so long inside an EVA unit before he suffocates and dies.
Then please someone explains how in the fuck he survived in an EVA for 14 years.

There, I just killed that third movie.
Source : Evangelion renewal Episode 16 : Time 17min05s

Y
Sun, 04-28-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm an Evangelion fan, a big one.

I'll just put this here though :
It is presented in the series that a pilot can only survive so long inside an EVA unit before he suffocates and dies.
Then please someone explains how in the fuck he survived in an EVA for 14 years.

There, I just killed that third movie.
Source : Evangelion renewal Episode 16 : Time 17min05s

If you're a big Evangelion fan, how do you not realize the movies are not the same thing as the TV series? There's no reason to believe any laws set forth in the TV show are still true.

Additionally, it seems likely that Shinji was absorbed into Unit 01 when he went berserk at the end of 2.22, just like he was in the series. The difference is that Misato, Ritsuko and company took 14 years to run the recovery experiment, instead of the weeks they did in the series. It's also possible that he was able to survive thanks to Unit 01 being awakened the entire time and him being at a state of near godhood. It's also possible he *didn't* survive, and what we see is a cloned Shinji, or that none of the events of the movie are taking place in the real world but are just some projection of Instrumentality. We just don't have enough information.

MFauli
Sun, 04-28-2013, 12:21 PM
What are those thousands of EVAs that lie around everywhere on earth?

Whatīs the current general state of the earth, anyway? The whole planet looks like its done for. Are people still living there? Are the two fighting groups, Misatoīs and Gendoīs, the only survivors?

I enjoyed watching this movie, itīs pretty much the pinnacle of japanese animation art. But damn, so many questions. Weīll probably never get it, but Iīd love to get insight into the very basics of what is going on there. WHERE DO THE ANGELS COME FROM? What is the dead sea scroll? Why is ANYTHING even a thing here?

On another note, one sentence that had me remember it was "the power to kill god". What god? Is it a mere phrase theyīre using, or do they mean it, "kill god"? Surely, angels are real. So why not god, too?
Following that, the original anime ended with Shinji being god! Remember that super-psycho ending, Shinji floating on top of a small version of the earth, then other characters appearing around him and clapping? What if Shinji is "god"? Even moreso, what if Gendo Ikari knows about that? He seems to know a lot. And frankly, itīd make so much more sense for him to use Shinji as a pilot. I mean, would he use him just because heīs his son? Nah, not plausible. It makes more sense that Shinji IS important. That would be highly ironic then, since Misato only had to kill Shinji to end it all, but since she didnīt know who Shinji really was ...
Okay, just speculation. But still.

This movie is disappointing in terms of plot. But thatīs because itīs a transitional piece. Itīs the link between movie two and the final fourth movie. So Iīll judge it when Iīve seen it all. Thatīs like the Hobbit-movie. Watching The Hobbit 1 wasnīt reallly satisfying. But Iīm convinced that once all 3 movies are out and you watch it in one go, itīll be a perfect journey. Iīm giving NGE the same chance.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Asuka might be crabby, but she still wants to ride Shinji's "bologna pony." (Thank you ADV Dub!) Some things change, some things just stay the same.

I was a little confused as to who was controlling all the hostile Angels toward the beginning. Gendo, SEELE, or were they just acting on their own?

What are those thousands of EVAs that lie around everywhere on earth?

Whatīs the current general state of the earth, anyway? The whole planet looks like its done for. Are people still living there? Are the two fighting groups, Misatoīs and Gendoīs, the only survivors?We're led to believe those are collections of what used to be humans, now failed half-complete aspects of Instrumentality, as the Third Impact was aborted right as it neared completion, the same way the Fourth was just aborted.

The surface is generally fucked, and toxic to anyone who isn't "cursed" to be an Eva pilot as Asuka put it. Whatever piloting an Eva does mutates their bodies in such a way that you can survive on the surface, at the very least near the Near-Third Impact site. Presumably, far away from that site, perhaps close to the Second Impact site or high in the atmosphere, normal humans can survive (as WILLE does as they build their Eva/Dragon/SuperDimensionalFortress). The toxicity is caused by whatever the "L Barrier Density" is.

I'm interested in knowing how Rei contacted Shinji telepathically. Was that Mk09 Rei, or was it the "original" Rei that we all know? (though really, none of us are sure which clone# she was). Is she residing in Unit 01, or in Shinji himself as well?

My guess is Rei is still inside Unit 01, remerged with Yui as she's supposed to be. She in turn is linked to the other Rei (Mk09) telepathically, probably through Shinji. While she (Mk09) was essentially a blank slate, Asuka seems to have smacked her out of her mindless doll phase, and possibly relinked her with the Yui/Rei Consciousness.

Or is Yui not inside Unit 01 this time around? That part was a little hard to follow. Either way, Rei (reunited with Yui's soul or otherwise) is in Unit 01, the Wunder.

Alhuin
Sun, 04-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Or is Yui not inside Unit 01 this time around? That part was a little hard to follow.
I'm pretty sure the old guy that played Shogi with Shinji said that her soul was inside Unit 01. She used herself as an experiment to test human control of the Eva, but once near the core, she disappeared and her soul became bonded/linked with Unit 01. At least, that's how I understood the explanation. I assume Lilith is what became of the Eva that Yui was experimenting with, because of the giant head that looks like her, which presumably goes with the giant headless body that the spears were resting in.

EDIT:
The surface is generally fucked, and toxic to anyone who isn't "cursed" to be an Eva pilot as Asuka put it.

If this is true (which I'm sure it is), I wonder why Shinji had to wear a biohazard suit when being shown the "truth of the world".

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-28-2013, 04:13 PM
If this is true (which I'm sure it is), I wonder why Shinji had to wear a biohazard suit when being shown the "truth of the world".Kaworu was just messing with him, like he was the entire time. It was all set up to manipulate Shinji and guilt him into "fixing" everything.

Shinji may not have believed Asuka when she mentioned that their bodies have been altered. If Shinji believed he was still human, he would be doing his part to restore humanity. Now that he knows he isn't, that all Eva pilots are already closer to deities than than are humans, his perception should be different once he stops being a puddle on the floor and constantly curling into fetal position.

Of course, Mari is absolutely insane now...so who knows.

Archangel
Sun, 04-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Evangelion is its own world with its own rules and its own logic. I had forgotten how much i hate that shit.

Pretentious crap that thinks itself too good to plainly explain any concept it tries to portray, at least the other 2 had better action scenes.

animus
Sun, 04-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Best part of the movie was Mari's boobs jiggling. Yep, that's it.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-28-2013, 07:53 PM
I loved Asuka at the end of 2.22 (enough to dream about her and make a crap ton of sigs and avatars), but I pretty much loathe her right now.

She kept calling a 14 year old boy a kid, and thinks it was an insult of some sort instead of a statement of fact. Sigh.

At least Mari was still Mari, even if her role was mainly to humanize the raving red lunatic.

It really broke my heart to find out that Ayanami Rei is gone. I think part of the reason I really liked 2.22 was because it developed Rei so well, then she is suddenly melted into a ship battery. Shinji was probably at least a little in love with her as well, considering he suffered that much just to try and save her.

How the hell do you even get someone who just lost his entire world and is wrongly blamed for it to get back up again? (...I bet some people thought about a foursome with the EVA pilots)

Oh and there was another thing that I REALLY REALLY hated. Why the hell did they decide to give an EVA funnels??

EDIT: At first I thought about the possiblity of Rei having been extracted from Unit-01 and placed in the tube tank show in the movie, but that hope seems to be dashed by the fact that Unit-01 has 0% synchro with Shinji. That would make sense if Rei was in there, because she wanted a world where Shinji no longer needs to pilot an EVA.

Xelbair
Mon, 04-29-2013, 05:29 AM
I've finally seen Eva 3.33

I'm not gonna repeat what most ppl in here said(I'm with the Y's group that enjoyed the movie and wasn't disappointed) so I'll just elaborate on some parts:

"Is it alright to call him Ikari Shinji-kun?"

Yes, that's who he fucking is. Now give him a debriefing. You're military, right?
So much stupid shit happened because no one answered his questions.

"Shinji, the year is XXXX, you have been asleep for 14 years. What is the last thing you remember? Well this is what came afterwards..." Instead the world (what's left of it) got into a big fight about "Pilot Eva/ Don't Pilot Eva"

1) they weren't sure if he was REALLY Shinji
2) Lack of Trust
3) imagine that someone unwillingly killed everyone you knew/loved/cared about. and he has no recollection of doing so. Do you think it would be simple to just debrief him like that?

somehow i didn't get the meta-idea about Curse of Eva .. but damn it was so obvious(and true).

Funny thing that despite all Genou's scheming(and usurping the power as Y said) everything went according to Seele's plan up until closure of the Gate. Also I think that Kawrou had his own agenda that was unrelated to both of them(Seele and Gendou) - but he pushed Shinji a bit too much and it backfired.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-29-2013, 07:38 AM
1) they weren't sure if he was REALLY Shinji
2) Lack of Trust
3) imagine that someone unwillingly killed everyone you knew/loved/cared about. and he has no recollection of doing so. Do you think it would be simple to just debrief him like that?

Their doubt stemmed more from the idea that they were pissed off at him. There was no real reason to doubt him after they did all of their tests and nothing was found to be abnormal.

@3) Yes, I would debrief him. Firstly, as I said - practically no one (ie, no one who actually hates him for what he did) foresaw these events. No one thinks or knew beforehand that "Saving Rei would kill everybody, so we'd better not." Based on that fact alone, you don't condemn the guy who did it.

Then you have this: kid wakes up and knows nothing. You are going to tell him nothing about the past, treat him like ass and say "Don't pilot Eva" to an Eva pilot. What do you think he's going to do? Obviously "I'll find out for myself, fuck you and I'm gonna get an Eva" didn't occur to them. But it should've.

It doesn't matter whether you still liked or hated Shinji.

As the saying goes, "Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies closer."

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-29-2013, 07:47 AM
While I do believe that Shinji was not at fault, even if he was, who in their right minds would confuse, threaten and piss off the key to humanity's destruction? That was just plain stupid. They had 14 years to sort out their feelings, yet they chose the worst 14 minutes to go on an outburst.

To put it simply, Misato and her crew underestimated Shinji. They did not think he would be able to escape their grasp, so they believed treating him like shit because of their uncontrolled emotions is alright. Yeah, that worked out just fine.

MFauli
Mon, 04-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Iīm split on the matter.

On the one hand I can see and agree with the idiocy of all the people bashing Shinji. The arguments are obvious: kid awakes after 14 years, has no idea about what happened or whatīs going on. Kid also didnīt intend to harm anybody, had no ill intentions. What do they do? Group-crap on him.

ON the other hand ... heīs like a nuke. Itīs not so much hate for Shinji as a person (maybe it is from Misato, who knew him personally), but hate for *what* he is. Everybody remembers the, well, destruction of earth. And here stands the de facto cause of it all. Shinji Ikari. He looks like a human boy, but to those that survived the near-3rd-impact, itīs also the appearance of the worst weapon of mass destruction in mankind history. Thatīs what explains Suzuhara-imoutoīs ill reaction towards Shinji. Afaik they never met before, yet she "hates" him. And it makes sense if you substitute Shinji with a knife, firearm or nuke. Forget about the mastermind behind the attack. Hereīs the dangerous tool itself!

KrayZ33
Mon, 04-29-2013, 02:15 PM
it doesn't change the fact that he is the reason why everyone is still alive even 14 years later
the world would have ended without him and survived till now because he decided to pilot EVA.

Kraco
Tue, 05-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Finally watched this, and I guess it was some divination that kept me from watching this for so long because I didn't like what I saw overly much. Pretty much everything wrong has already been said in the long posts.

So, I'll add just one thing: In addition to everybody aboard Wunder hating Shinji, the director and script writer must have hated him even more. The poor guy did exactly two things in the movie: Departed Wunder with Rei and took the spears. It's not much for a main character in a 1.5 hour film...

RyougaZell
Sat, 06-22-2013, 01:36 AM
So I finally managed to watch this and... I was like "WTF?" through all the movie.

Mindfuck. Totally.

Just came to say that. Bye again.

MFauli
Fri, 04-30-2021, 11:22 AM
So ... have their been any quality releases of the final movie already? Kimetsu no Yaiba-thread made me remember. God, it must be a miracle that I haven't run into spoilers yet.

Ryllharu
Fri, 04-30-2021, 03:28 PM
It's still in theaters I believe. It only came out recently.

Y
Sun, 05-16-2021, 01:46 AM
Since the third and fourth movies are going to be shown alongside each other (i.e. basically one feature) it won't be too long until we see the end of this movie series. Maybe 2009.

Yeah good luck with this.

MFauli
Fri, 08-13-2021, 08:21 PM
Just finished watching 3.0+1.0.

I rewatched all previous movies today, too.

What a finale!

It's the perfect final movie imo. Answers a ton of question, creates new mysteries, lots of WTF-moments, but paced in a way that you never feel lost afterwards. And the ending is fantastic, even though I'd say it's kind of an "ending for normies", in that it is too happy.

The animation and music was phenomenal and I can't wait to rewatch it. There were so many scenes that I could have just kept watching, especially the village part at the beginning. Like, GIMME AN ENTIRE SERIES BASED ON THAT! So good.

On one hand, I'm sad that Evangelion is truly finished. On the other hand, Hideaki Anno nailed the end and that is an incredible accomplishment after such a long-running, hyped series.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 08-13-2021, 08:34 PM
Watched it just now.

Good ending to what was a terrible 3rd movie.

The action scenes were sometimes chaotic, which I dislike, but the Mari fight scene at the very end was awesome and was clearly an ode to all the Eva vs Eva fights before it. The Shinji fight was terrible.

I liked the conclusion, and everything was tied up properly, even Asuka's love life lol.

The animation, artistry, and music were all phenomenal, except the Eva with guns battles, which was too "Transformers-like" for my taste.

MFauli
Sat, 08-14-2021, 07:44 AM
Good ending to what was a terrible 3rd movie.

I always liked the 3rd movie, because I understood it for what it was: A transitional movie inbetween bigger events. Like Star Wars episode 2. Ofc, having to wait for years afterwars made it shitty. But I rewatched the movies yesterday and the 3rd one felt perfectly fine.

except the Eva with guns battles, which was too "Transformers-like" for my taste.

Which battle do you mean? The 01 vs 13 battle with the "bad" cgi? That was intentional to look fake.

Anyway, had to write up some more detailed thoughts one my blog, in case anyone wants to read ;>

https://jitsuhane.wordpress.com/2021/08/14/spoilers-evangelion-3-01-0-thoughts-after-watching-the-final-rebuild-movie/

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-14-2021, 07:54 AM
The 3rd movie was shitty because people acted like shits when it clearly wasn't in anyone's best interest just to push the plot forward. It could've been handled better, but instead everyone just abused the kid who knows nothing about what happened for more than a decade.

This movie tried to repair some of that, but movies have to be able to stand alone to an extent, even if part of a series. The 3rd movie did nothing of the sort.

The Shinji battle was the 01 vs 13, and that was horribly choreographed, not just bad CGI.

As for the "Transformers-like" battles, I am referring to when Evas are fighting swarms with guns and everything is just noisy and chaotic. I've never been a fan of that type of "combat" because it is too noisy, hard to understand, and lacks detailed choreography.

MFauli
Sat, 08-14-2021, 08:06 AM
Eh, that "transformers battle" was part of a bigger scene, so I was okay with it.

Btw that brings me to questions I need to research eventually:

- WHO builds all the stuff for NERV? You never see regular people there, only Gendo and Fuyutsuki. Can Gendo just create things with his angel-powers? Or are there regular Joes that just feel strongly for NERV, lol.

- speaking of which: Why can several people now awaken angel-powers? I understand that Gendo got them, being the big villain. But Shinji? And then Asuka, too? Feels like I missed something?

- so who is Kaworu truly? Before this movie, I had always assumed Kaworu was indeed an angel in human-form. Now it's clear that Kaworu actually used to be a human, working together with other people, like Kaji. But at some point, Kaworu became the one for the project that would lead to repeated cycles, with those moon coffins. I don't think it was said who he was, right? A member of NERV? A scientist?

- So Mari was one of Yui's colleagues. Ok. Why is she young in this movie? She didn't just stay young like Asuka, she became younger from the photo. How?

- I understood that Wille has technology to keep the 3rd impact from spreading to certain areas, like the village. But how did Wille revert Paris to pre-destroyed state? Do they have time-manipulating technology?

- Is it known why Toji's little sister works on board of the Wunder? You'd think Toji would do anything to keep his little sister away from the very frontline. What reason does she have? Because her parents were killed in the 3rd impact? Lots of people did then, but they don't go on board of the most dangerous place possible.

- The whole "black moon", that weirdly shaped, giant structure - what was that, why did it appear at the end of the third movie?

That's it for the moment. Maybe you know some of these answers, shinta.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-14-2021, 06:28 PM
WHO builds all the stuff for NERV? You never see regular people there, only Gendo and Fuyutsuki. Can Gendo just create things with his angel-powers? Or are there regular Joes that just feel strongly for NERV, lol.

AFAIK Nerv has it's own organization and everything, so there are people who cultishly follow orders from the higher ups.

Why can several people now awaken angel-powers? I understand that Gendo got them, being the big villain. But Shinji? And then Asuka, too? Feels like I missed something?

All the pilots and some of the people who worked with the Eva research can develop these powers. They transform gradually as they use Evas, like Asuka and Makinami, or do shit to their own body like Gendo, I think.

so who is Kaworu truly? Before this movie, I had always assumed Kaworu was indeed an angel in human-form. Now it's clear that Kaworu actually used to be a human, working together with other people, like Kaji. But at some point, Kaworu became the one for the project that would lead to repeated cycles, with those moon coffins. I don't think it was said who he was, right? A member of NERV? A scientist?

Looks like he was Kaji's superior, so definitely a human. But just like Asuka and Makinami, he transformed into an angel at some point.

So Mari was one of Yui's colleagues. Ok. Why is she young in this movie? She didn't just stay young like Asuka, she became younger from the photo. How?

I don't think she became younger. She just wore a sailor uniform.

I understood that Wille has technology to keep the 3rd impact from spreading to certain areas, like the village. But how did Wille revert Paris to pre-destroyed state? Do they have time-manipulating technology?

It didn't revert to pre-destroyed state. The pillars just removed the red aura effect, allowing humans to live there again. Destroyed things are still destroyed.

Is it known why Toji's little sister works on board of the Wunder? You'd think Toji would do anything to keep his little sister away from the very frontline. What reason does she have? Because her parents were killed in the 3rd impact? Lots of people did then, but they don't go on board of the most dangerous place possible.

Probably wants to make a difference after being so helpless and unable to save her parents or anyone else.

The whole "black moon", that weirdly shaped, giant structure - what was that, why did it appear at the end of the third movie?

Anno nonsense lol.

MFauli
Sun, 08-15-2021, 06:59 AM
You're right, I remember from the old tv series that there have been scenes where an angel was about to take over Shinji's EVA (was it the Magi virus angel?) and everyone was shouting "OMG, IF THIS CONTINUES HE'S GONNA BE TAKEN OVER BE THE ANGEL!!!1". So I guess attaining certain angel attributes had always been a possibility.

Btw I only understood after reading online that Asuka was a clone, too, wtf. And apparently that has always been the plan. So Asuka Soryu Langley was the original, and then came Asuka Shikinami Langley, the Shikinami-series. I wonder if the Shikinami-series came after or before the Ayanami-series. You'd think Gendou wanted to experiment on others first before attempting things with his wife's soul. Or did Shikinami happen later as a support tool for his future plans? Hm.

That Kaworu was some sort of superior is obvious, but I still would have liked to see more of him. If everything was an ever repeating cycle, there should have been a point in time that shows Kaworu before he became the 12th angel. Or was the cycle constructed in a way that it begins at a certain point close to the beginning of the series? Hm.

Ah, it feels good to speculate about Evangelion again ^^

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-15-2021, 12:17 PM
Asuka happened to be inside an Eva-taken-over-by-an-Angel one time, so she's got that going for her (being able to awaken Angel powers). Other than that, you can infer the whole "entry plug is at minus depths, you'll cease to be human at this rate" scenes to give them superhuman powers.

I never understood the bloody spears/lances and shit.

Also.. Yui died while sacrificing herself to be the control system for Eva 1. Gendo should have just not let her do that.

I also don't get how Kaji stopped 3rd Impact. Nagisa threw a lance at Unit 1. That's what stopped 3rd impact.

As for fights, I never liked cannon fodder fights.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-15-2021, 01:01 PM
First off, this 3.0+1.0 has a ton of inconsistent and weird shit throughout it because it is like a Tarantino movie with a crapload of homages to all of Anno's apparent favorite anime influences.

- The CGI in 01 vs 13 fight looks like shit? It's kind of supposed to. They reveal why that whole scene looks like shit when Shinji's Unit 01 slams into the printed cloth backdrop. It's a reference to Toho Films, of which this is one. It's pretty obviously set up to look like crappy rubber suit monster fights. Including the buildings breaking as if they were cardboard ones but instead bouncing with what I can only guess is purposefully shitty CGI physics.

- Asuka's sort of done dirty throughout the Rebuild series, but then Anno gives her a TTGL referenced combat send off and even a happy end.

- Mari's fight in Paris has got a very Japanese Retro-Future anime vibe to it. She's rotating the controls in a very exaggerated way like how one has to to use naval military hardware. This is bringing in all sorts of late 70s anime like Harlock, Battleship Yamato, and even the newer stuff like LAST EXILE.

- Misato's whole Captain attitude, the design of the Wunder, etc., is all tinted heavy with Harlock, Yamato, Macross, basically every 70s-80s space opera. The bridge configuration and the entirety of the crew is straight up Macross until it gets dragged into its fake LCL plug.

- Mari and Asuka's entry into the Eva legion fight combines both Macross Quarter imagery from Macross Frontier as well as some Diebuster stuff.

- Gendo's altered face? TTGL and the stuff Trigger has also done again.

If there's a problem with Rebuild, it is that the full understanding of it is dependent on the direct parallels it has with the 1996 series and End of Evangelion. It's serviceable as a stand alone, but the real depth of it comes from seeing the alternate path that it deviates from partway in the second film. That itself is referenced twice in 3.0+1.0, with Ayanami-09's three alternate goodbyes, and Kaworu's moon caskets where he's forced to play this role a thousand times so far.

Then again, this timeline doesn't match the rest of the franchise in the first place. Yui's surname is Ikari in the tv series and End of Eva ending. Gendo takes her surname, because, as with his characterization in Rebuild, he doesn't really care for his own family or existence, tying it deeply to Yui's. But in Rebuild, Ikari is his surname, and Yui's maiden name was explicitly stated to be Ayanami. Do both continuities exist? Is this one a true ending because it finally deviates enough from the original timeline to break free of it? Up to the viewer I suppose.

I don't think they really explain Mari enough, but apparently, we're not ever supposed to know. She's deliberately kept a mystery. She's explicitly not a reference to Anno's wife, she's not fully engaged with the characters for much of it, nor ever properly explained. The two people with full knowledge of what role she plays is Anno himself and Sakamoto Maaya so she could portray her. Her purpose is to simply disrupt the franchise, and definitively end it. Was she the woman in the foreground of the photo or not? She's younger than in that photo throughout the movie series, and she's still younger than that at the very end.

Lastly...this whole tetralogy was just dope as fuck.

MFauli
Sun, 08-15-2021, 04:24 PM
Now, what I'd like to know: Repeated cycles, ok. Now, what made this cycle be the one that breaks free from eternal repition? Something must have changed. Or if I assume that people like Kaji, Gendou and Kaworu were in the know of where everything was supposed to go, they slowly prepared something? Making a small change in every repitition that finally saw a result?

I think ultimately, Shinji growing up and facing his father was the key change to the cycle. Whether it's the end of the tv series or End of Evangelion, Shinji never manages to truly overcome this obstacle, thus the next cycle beginning.

- Misato's whole Captain attitude, the design of the Wunder, etc., is all tinted heavy with Harlock, Yamato, Macross, basically every 70s-80s space opera. The bridge configuration and the entirety of the crew is straight up Macross until it gets dragged into its fake LCL plug.

Just to make sure: You've seen "Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water", right? I haven't seen Macross, but the Wunder and Misato's new attire are most certainly homage to Secret of Blue Water, its Nautilus and Captain Nemo. It's uncanny. They even use the Nautilus' theme in the first battle in the 3rd movie.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-15-2021, 05:58 PM
Now, what I'd like to know: Repeated cycles, ok. Now, what made this cycle be the one that breaks free from eternal repition? Something must have changed. Or if I assume that people like Kaji, Gendou and Kaworu were in the know of where everything was supposed to go, they slowly prepared something? Making a small change in every repitition that finally saw a result?

I think ultimately, Shinji growing up and facing his father was the key change to the cycle. Whether it's the end of the tv series or End of Evangelion, Shinji never manages to truly overcome this obstacle, thus the next cycle beginning.
Interestingly enough, Shinji rejects Instrumentality in every other path we've seen. The main tv series he learns to forgive himself and know that a life with pain in it doesn't mean it's his fault. More importantly he wants to be "me" and to stay "here." He at first rejects a world without Evangelions, but learns that he has value in such worlds.

In End of Eva, he again rejects Instrumentality, along with Asuka. They both accept that a world with pain and misery isn't the worst thing, and manifest again as individuals on the horrible beach. We don't see Asuka's but Shinji comes to the conclusion that Instrumentality creates a fake world where everyone is connected, but in their own way are also isolated because nothing is truly real because everything can be perfect. It's the chance of pain/rejection/sadness that makes the happier times more valuable.

Also, one of the more popular interpretations is that Asuka touches him, and doesn't violently attack him in the ending scene because she has started to grow up a little. Which is interesting in this ending where she grows past him mentally and they correspondingly let their connection to each other fade (leaving room for someone else).

There's really only been two outcomes until now. SEELE wins or Gendo does. Everyone else is a pawn.

The shift this time is first that Rei and Shinji connect enough to awaken Unit 01 early. While that still drives the path down to SEELE's plan (first two endings), it also directs the possible outcomes further down to Gendo's rebellion against SEELE. The second shift is that Asuka pilots Unit 3 and gets infected but survives. That narrows it to Gendo's plan. The final aberration is that Mari exists. She probably usually dies using Unit 05 while helping Kaji steal the Key for Gendo (Gendo steals Adam in both the tv series+End of Eva variant as well as the manga). This allows her to borrow some of Asuka's roles. Her character literally exists to break the cycle and save Shinji in a world where he's destroyed his means to remake the world. She brings him the final Lance, and she's also the one who pulls him back into a reality space.

Just to make sure: You've seen "Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water", right? I haven't seen Macross, but the Wunder and Misato's new attire are most certainly homage to Secret of Blue Water, its Nautilus and Captain Nemo. It's uncanny. They even use the Nautilus' theme in the first battle in the 3rd movie.
That'd make more sense, considering Anno directed that. I have seen it, but it was only once and quite some time ago. I've seen the others more recently.

MFauli
Mon, 08-16-2021, 07:42 AM
Re: Mari
But what did she do different to survive this time, then? Or rather, does she have memory from all the past attempts? That would be an explanation: She kept trying, failed n-times, but this time she made it out alive and continued on. That's also why she's so relaxed about fighting, because she's experienced death too many times to care.

Re: Seele and Gendo plans
So what were each's plans? Seele wants instrumentalization, aka make everyone go goo, then have their souls be collected in the prison of Guuf. That right? And Gendo ... actually wanted to do what Shinji ended up doing (except better), he wanted to attain the power to reshape reality in the way he explained during the movie (no pain, no suffering, and with Yui alive). I must say, that's maybe the one disappointment I have. That Gendou had such trivial goals. Basically a random guy who lost his wife and is sad and angry ... except this guy has the scientific background and financial funding to build giant robots that can end the world, rofl.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-16-2021, 09:03 AM
Gendo also wanted goo. He thought he could be together with Yui that way.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-16-2021, 12:18 PM
Apparently SEELE wanted humans to evolve, become goo, and take the place of Angels next to God or something, while Gendo wanted to become goo and kill god.. and be with Yui. I don't understand how their plans actually reflected their desires to be honest, or why killing God was a prerequisite.

As for the time loops, none of that seems to make sense for me. I don't know who is resetting the time loop, and if so (or if it's just a world remake instead of reset), why some things would carry forward (like Kaoru's coffins, or his knowledge that this is a loop).

N3I also makes no sense because Shinji's awakening got stopped by a spear from space and no one else in the vicinity turned red from this.. so what's this shit about him being the cause for N3I, but then saying that Kaji stopped N3I..

Too much shit is happening that can't be explained in a step by step basis from the given information. It's harder than it needs to be.

edit: I did think Eva 13 having funnels was hilarious.

MFauli
Mon, 08-16-2021, 12:38 PM
Yes, the coffins! Why would they be there?! Or ... wait, it'd make sense if the cycle of repetition is a literal time-space manipulation that the moon simply is too far outside of. Maybe that's the reason? So it's not a simple time jump, it's an all out "Redo of Healder"-change of earth.

Talking about goals more:

So Seele and Gendo needed several "impacts" to bring about instrumentalization. If an angel had ever reached Lilith who lies at the bottom the geofront, that would have caused ... a different kind of "impact"? But then what is the differentiator in all those "impacts"? And why did they keep fighting angels instead of just telling Shinji "yo, my dude, pls go insane and execute the next impage!". Surely, there would have been ways of psychological manipulation.

On another matter: What was Seele actually doing? And why'd they need Nerv? Going by End of Evangelion, they were pretty capable at creating giant fighting machinese themselves.

Ryllharu
Mon, 08-16-2021, 02:56 PM
Re: Mari
But what did she do different to survive this time, then? Or rather, does she have memory from all the past attempts? That would be an explanation: She kept trying, failed n-times, but this time she made it out alive and continued on. That's also why she's so relaxed about fighting, because she's experienced death too many times to care.
No, Mari actually likes fighting in Evas. She's conceptually meant to be in as opposition to Asuka and Rei as possible, including with she has big boobs (I'm quite serious, and so was Anno and his character designer), while Rei and Asuka are relatively small chested.

She's into fighting because all the other three Eva pilots don't like it. She's flippant, proud of herself, cavalier, and perky in personality because Rei is full of self-doubt, Asuka has stunningly low self-esteem underneath, and Shinji hates himself.

We're not meant to know her background or motivations. Those are kept secret on purpose.

Talking about goals more:

So Seele and Gendo needed several "impacts" to bring about instrumentalization. If an angel had ever reached Lilith who lies at the bottom the geofront, that would have caused ... a different kind of "impact"? But then what is the differentiator in all those "impacts"? And why did they keep fighting angels instead of just telling Shinji "yo, my dude, pls go insane and execute the next impage!". Surely, there would have been ways of psychological manipulation.

On another matter: What was Seele actually doing? And why'd they need Nerv? Going by End of Evangelion, they were pretty capable at creating giant fighting machinese themselves.
Angels goal is to wipe the interloping existence (all of Lillith's offspring) off the face of Earth. All life on Earth. Only Angels and Adam will remain if they ever achieved their goal. Angels touching or destroying Lillith will do that...or so we are told. So we don't actually know for sure if Angels are ever natural.

But it is revealed in most of the continuities that SEELE has artificially triggered Angels so that they can kill them and use them for fodder to achieve Impacts. Every Impact was caused by SEELE in order to become gods themselves.

They need NERV because NERV is the public front "defending" humanity from the Angels while SEELE controls NERV, the military, and the UN from the shadows. But NERV's true goal is to accomplish Instrumentality for SEELE.

SEELE either figures out Gendo is betraying them or they don't.

MFauli
Mon, 08-16-2021, 07:14 PM
But how do Seele/Nerv trigger those specific impacts they did? Angels reaching Lilith would cause the ultimate impact. But all the other impacts are caused with EVA 01's involvement.Oh wait ... wasn't EVA 01 Adam? If so, he'd be special for sure.

So ... basically, by causing impacts with EVA 01/Adam/infused with Yui, Nerv can execute "controlled" impacts that they use for their plans, whereas an impact with Lilith's contact would cause a mega impact that has the angels win.

Now what I wonder next: How does Seele know about the whole "if we do that, then we can reshape the world/go on living as souls"? Was all that written on the scroll from the dead sea? And Seele took it all seriously, because ...?

Ryllharu
Mon, 08-16-2021, 07:53 PM
Unit-01 is Yui more directly and more completely, and was made differently from any of the the others.

The others, to the best of my understanding, are combinations of either a Seed of Life with a Contact Experiment (process based on the ritual Yui underwent) or eventually directly incorporating Adam or the Adams (Units 09 through 12 and Unit 13), manifested into a physical form and then shackled down with the armor and the plug trunk.

SEELE is very likely a cult. Its senior members abandoning their bodies at some point with the intent to be placed into the Evangelion(s) they intend to complete the plan with and become gods. The junior members are Misato's father, Yui, Fuyutsuki, etc. The loyalists within NERV (minus Fuyutsuki who is loyal to Gendo's rebellious plan). Dr. Akagi in the original version, whoever is running their high school (remember that nearly every student in their class is qualified to pilot an Eva to some degree).

MFauli
Mon, 08-16-2021, 08:18 PM
Oh man, I read some wiki articles now. Everything makes sense when you deep dive into it, but it still is so much that you need to connect - but that's exactly what makes Evangelion so much fun to talk about :D

EVA 01 being made from Lilith really explains why it's a special unit, though. What's kinda crass, though, is that the article I just read implies that Yui is in permanent control of EVA 01, as in: She's there. Shinji controls the EVA 01 regularily, but when he's in trouble, Yui takes over, goes "berserk" and saves him. I wonder how this feels and looks from Yui's own point of view. Is it a more distant "her soul is in there, but she cannot directly control the EVA" or she consciously moving the EVA 01? The latter would mean that ... Shinji's mom is a giant monster, lol. It also makes me question the relationship Gendo had with her. You'd think if Yui was concsious inside the EVA 01, then Gendou would be able to interact with her somehow. Hm.

Y
Mon, 09-13-2021, 08:27 PM
Yui probably isn't in Unit 01 in Rebuild, and Unit 01 is definitely not a copy of Lilith.

KrayZ33
Mon, 11-22-2021, 02:08 PM
Oh man... I finally came around and saw it and I feel like a chapter of my life closed.
I mean, this show was in my mind for more than 20 years now.. and now it's "done". That makes it sad for me.

I kinda understood where everything was going and what the characters meant in the end this time around - except for maybe Rei, not quite sure what she "meant" and I still have trouble with Kaworu.

I guess they are Gendo and Yui? Or... like a part of their personality of them?

Still sad that my favorite ship (Asuka+Shinji) didn't end up being together though but it makes sense. But sad nonetheless

I'm, overall, not satisfied with the end however. I think it cheated itself out of the situation. It's a good story if you see this as a work to process your depression and tell it through a sci-fi show like this, I guess... but the "mystery" around it was kinda lost over the course of the last 2 movies... I think too many things were left unanswered or were simply never really fleshed out enough.