PDA

View Full Version : Kaiba

Munsu
Mon, 04-21-2008, 03:25 AM
First episode out by Froth-Bite-Ureshii:
http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BF-B_Ureshii%5D_Kaiba_-_01_%5BAAC-H264-720p%5D%5BE99F0B13%5D.mkv.torrent

Series by Masaaki Yuasa who did a cool short movie called Noiseman Sound Insect (if you haven't seen it, look for it), the movie Mind Game, and the series Kemonozume. As those, this series has a peculiar and unique animation, but I assume that if you really give the series a chance, you might find that this could turn out into a cool series... just like Kemonozume, which I didn't give much of a chance in the beginning. I haven't seen the first episode yet, but heard a couple of good things, so it may be worth checking out.

A sci-fi love story set in a world where digitization of memory made physical death obsolete. A world where memories can be stolen and altered, and replaced in a new human body.

Kaiba wakes up in a room without knowing who he is. He has a pendant with the photograph of a woman he does not remember. After being attacked all of a sudden, he has to flee to space, meet various people, and rediscover the world.

"Even without my memories, I love you...".

Original series directed by Masaaki Yuasa (Mind Game, Kemonozume), and animated by MADHOUSE.

http://www.wowow.co.jp/anime/kaiba/
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=5673

NeoBear
Tue, 04-22-2008, 05:10 AM
lol what the hell is this im not even sure what to say other then i wish i had a anime grandfather they are always so wacky =)

Hawkeye32
Tue, 04-22-2008, 05:28 AM
Seriously this has to be one of the strangest anime's I've seen in a long time. Very different animation style.

Munsu
Wed, 04-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Just watched the first episode, and I really liked it. As expected, this is some wierd shit... but if given a chance, the story should get quite good. I thought the action scenes were great, and the music was excellent in my opinion.

Here's episode 2:
http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BF-B_Ureshii%5D_Kaiba_-_02_%5BAAC-H264-720p%5D%5B118ADC15%5D.mkv.torrent

Well, here's episode 3:
http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BF-B_Ureshii%5D_Kaiba_-_03_%5BAAC-H264-720p%5D%5BA32D4BA4%5D.mkv.torrent

So no one else watching this? Just watched episodes 2 and 3, and I have to say that this series is quite disturbing in some ways. The world here is messed up.

Board of Command
Sat, 05-03-2008, 01:45 AM
I'll give it a shot. I've seen both Mind Game and Kemonozume and wasn't too displeased with the animation style. Kemonozume was some pretty messed up shit though...

Munsu
Sat, 05-03-2008, 11:57 AM
I'll give it a shot. I've seen both Mind Game and Kemonozume and wasn't too displeased with the animation style. Kemonozume was some pretty messed up shit though...
Let me know what you think of it then... I haven't watched Mind Game, but I did watch some of Kemonozume (stuck at episode 5), and it was really good from what I saw. And yeah, it's quite messed up, and I'm sure it will get more messed up in the later episodes.

As for this series, it doesn't contain the gore you'd see on Kemonozume, but that's simply because the animation is different, and the violence is presented different. If the animation were more realistic, then the series would be very gory... but at the moment it's disguised. It's still quite fucked up in some ways, this surely is intended for adult viewers because of the theme and it's quite thought provoking.

Board of Command
Sat, 05-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Let me know what you think of it then... I haven't watched Mind Game, but I did watch some of Kemonozume (stuck at episode 5), and it was really good from what I saw. And yeah, it's quite messed up, and I'm sure it will get more messed up in the later episodes.
The first 5 episodes of Kemonozume were actually quite normal. It takes a big turn at around episode 10 (?) where it becomes all bizarro like Berserk, but much worse.

Munsu
Sun, 05-04-2008, 09:46 AM
The first 5 episodes of Kemonozume were actually quite normal. It takes a big turn at around episode 10 (?) where it becomes all bizarro like Berserk, but much worse.
Guess I'll see eventually, right now I'm catching up to quite a few neglected series... Kemonozume is among them, not far behind.

As for Kaiba, episode 3 was quite sad in many ways.

Besu
Sun, 05-04-2008, 04:35 PM
After seeing your post int he Spring 2008 topic, I'm going to check this series out.

Munsu
Sun, 05-04-2008, 11:00 PM
After seeing your post int he Spring 2008 topic, I'm going to check this series out.
Awesome, another recruit. I say, if you make it to episode 3, I think you'll start to really enjoy it despite how skeptical you can become. Hopefully the animation and art doesn't put you off till then.

Episode 3 has a great story, and it contains a ton of information about the world. It's the most revealing episode yet.

Besu
Mon, 05-05-2008, 03:57 AM
Awesome, another recruit. I say, if you make it to episode 3, I think you'll start to really enjoy it despite how skeptical you can become. Hopefully the animation and art doesn't put you off till then.

Episode 3 has a great story, and it contains a ton of information about the world. It's the most revealing episode yet.

Don't be too happy. I'll be blaming you if I get addicted.

seanos
Mon, 05-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Only had time to watch the first episode - seems fairly cool, I like it.
Was a bit undecided until the point where younger brother was interrogating older brother's consciousness, that scene alone did it for me :)

Reckon I'll stick with this, seems wierd enough that it could turn out to be excellent.

Munsu
Fri, 05-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Here's episode 4:
http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BF-B_Ureshii%5D_Kaiba_-_04_%5BAAC-H264-720p%5D%5B98E37313%5D.mkv.torrent

Darknodin
Sat, 05-10-2008, 01:53 AM
well the discussion makes this series seem interesting...dl'ing

edit: well... the first half of the episode got me thinking "This is not for me" but when the story started (even thought i have NO idea what's going on) it got pretty good. i like the bird.

edit 2 : Butter is awesome! seriously awesome!

Munsu
Mon, 05-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Good thing you gave it a good try because as I said, people will get putoff by the animation if not given a fair chance. And when you get used to it, the animation seems quite good in my opinion. But the strength of the anime is really the story and the themes of it. I love the soundtrack too.

Lol, Butter was great... wait till you watch episode 3, that one was my favorite so far. It was also kinda fucked up how the chick made a copy of herself and started fucking herself, then exploding from an orgasmic overload. It was kinda sad how they killed the girl Butter was cheating on though. It's a bit disturbing to me how they kill off people without a second thought in what seems like a lighthearted manner, since we don't really see blood or anything.... but in their world, it's probably quite a gruesome death. The guard was quite nasty with his pedophile love.

Just watched episode 4, it was the weakest one so far, but the ending showed promise with the first memory of his past surfacing.

Kraco
Sun, 05-18-2008, 03:45 AM
This has to have the weirdest and strangest graphics I've ever seen in any anime. Considering what Bud said earlier about the violence in this series I wonder if that's not actually one reason for the odd graphics. With any sort of more conventional animation and design this story would have been incredibly gory so far. And would give off slight "everybody dies" vibes. However, with the visuals being as they are, it's far easier to just forget all the dying and cruelty going on all over the place. Still, the story has a knack for creating likable and friendly characters just in order to have them die for good a moment later. It's sad no matter how you look at it.

I was actually thinking back during the ep 2 that Nabari no Ou had been beaten in the most apathetic main character ever category but fortunately episode 3 changed that. I had hoped the bloody hippo was gone for good when he gained the little match girl's body, and now I hope ep 4 was the last time, but I fear for the worst. I don't like it because it symbolizes the totally passive state he spent eps 1 and 2 in.

Other than that, I wonder when he will gain back his original body. It's now in the hands of the authorities with a hijacker personality in, after all. If it's still aboard the ship, he could have some hope left, though.

Munsu
Sun, 05-18-2008, 08:43 AM
I agree with you... this series is always introducing likable characters only to set them up to die, and their deaths are always sad or unjustified. I still feel for Kochu and Chronico... horrible ways to go.

And that hippo has to go, I think it's simply a current device to let us peek at the lives of other characters as a spectator, still the series should make him take a proactive role soon... at least I hope, with him regaining his memories and all. But the hippo certainly sucks.

I think this will be one of those series that I will always watch the OP before an episode, because it sets up the mood perfectly.

Darknodin
Sun, 05-18-2008, 09:45 AM
this is the kind of violence that's the most gripping really. not killing some nameless soldier with brains splattering all over.

Kraco
Sun, 05-18-2008, 10:08 AM
I still feel for Kochu and Chronico... horrible ways to go.

Kochu's fate was ugly because I was all the time expecting the hippo to sneak forward and throw the ticket the hooker dropped to her. Yet he just stood there and calmly watched her get disintegrated. What a fucker! I was ready to drop the series when that happened.

Chronico's death was as ugly as that one soldier's in Private Ryan; the one that got slowly knifed by the nazi. It was just nasty to watch her sit there helplessly and getting her mind sucked away after the quack told her the real deal. At least this time the hippo wasn't just standing there witnessing it happen...

Kraco
Sun, 05-25-2008, 11:57 PM
External body experimentation:

Episode 5 HD - Froth-Bite - Ureshii (http://www.froth-bite.com/torrent/%5BF-B_Ureshii%5D_Kaiba_-_05_%5BAAC-H264-720p%5D%5B9ACCF92B%5D.mkv.torrent)
Episode 5 SD - Froth-Bite - Ureshii (http://www.froth-bite.com/torrent/%5BF-B_Ureshii%5D_Kaiba_-_05_%5BAAC-H264%5D%5B35218FB8%5D.mkv.torrent)

Munsu
Mon, 05-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Kochu's fate was ugly because I was all the time expecting the hippo to sneak forward and throw the ticket the hooker dropped to her. Yet he just stood there and calmly watched her get disintegrated. What a fucker! I was ready to drop the series when that happened.

I'm pretty sure he didn't expect Kochu to be killed... he had no reason to believe this would be that cruel of a world. Also, he couldn't afford to get involved since he was a stowaway himself. They might've asked for HIS ticket if he had intervened. With that said, after occurred, he has been more involved in trying to help people instead of turning a blind eye. Had he known the consequences for Kochu, I think he would've been more active...

About episode 5, nothing much in the plot of the episode... I cringed at the destruction of bodies and being made into food. That was creepy. An important revelation at the end of the episode though. Warp... same name they gave the main character in the first episode.

Munsu
Sun, 06-01-2008, 02:04 AM
Episode 6:
http://a.scarywater.net/f-b/%5BF-B_Ureshii%5D_Kaiba_-_06_%5BAAC-H264-720p%5D%5B47F8827F%5D.mkv.torrent

Great episode, anyone still watching this? I'm really wondering who is Popo and who's currently controlling his body, since I always thought that the little flying shit that is always around Kaiba/Warp was him, but now we see him or his body giving out missions. Anyways, good stuff towards the end of the episode.

I also wonder if Kaiba is really Warp, or just someone who took over his body... then we see that little flower called Kaiba too sucking memories, will surely play a big role in the future. Also, these terrorist, are they being transported in the same ship as Kaiba is on (like Popo for example)? I got that impression in the first episode, and seeing them in the planet now and allusions that they have made terrorist attacks in planets Kaiba has recently been on makes me think they are. I don't know, a ton of wierd shit is going on and its quite hard to follow things at the moment.

Anyways care to give me some of their theories or help me with some of the details and doubts I have?

Death13a
Sun, 06-01-2008, 02:18 AM
Munsu

Kaiba is the name of the plant that sucks memories, not the name of the hero.

Munsu
Sun, 06-01-2008, 02:22 AM
Munsu

Kaiba is the name of the plant that sucks memories, not the name of the hero.
Actually, in the intro to the episode they reffer to the protagonist as Kaiba...

It'll be funny if one of those plants acquired a body for itself, or if the Kaiba plants are really people, or if a Kaiba plant sucked someone and took over its personality or if there was some sort of sentience process.

Ziggy
Sun, 06-01-2008, 06:17 PM
I don't think they are on the same ship, but not sure either. Also, I've lost track about what happened the litte flying thing and how it is related to Popo. Very hard to follow everything at the moment.

kenren
Mon, 06-02-2008, 07:12 AM
I seriously never expect the term Kaiba to be referred to a memory sucking plant. Hopefully the following episodes explain more on this.

I'm loving this series. :)

Munsu
Mon, 06-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Here's 7 bitches, hopefully it'll be a good one:
http://www.froth-bite.com/torrent/%5BF-B_Ureshii%5D_Kaiba_-_07_%5BAAC-H264-720p%5D%5BCC9D7EE2%5D.mkv.torrent

kenren
Mon, 06-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Great episode.
Kaiba is the name given to the memoryless main character at the beginning of the series and also to the memory sucking plant during episode 6. Hmm.. I'm clueless @_@.
Something has must happened to Warp right before he shoots Neiro according to the memories copied, if not Neiro wouldn't be still alive. Need..episode..8.. :).

Mizuchi
Sun, 06-15-2008, 07:49 PM
...Are we watching the same Kaiba? I tried to watch the first episode but couldn't get passed the first 10 minutes. The animation looks like a 5th grader drew it...

The Heretic Azazel
Sun, 06-15-2008, 11:43 PM
I downloaded this series once and after a few minutes of animation I trashed it. Then I accidentally re-downloaded it so I gave the whole first episode a try. This series is just great, but it's very unique so it takes a minute to adjust to. I think you'll love the story if you give it a proper chance.

Death13a
Sun, 06-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Kaiba 8 HD (http://www.froth-bite.com/torrent/%5BF-B_Ureshii%5D_Kaiba_-_08_%5BAAC-H264-720p%5D%5B553F7E1D%5D.mkv.torrent)

Kaiba 8 SD (http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BF-B_Ureshii%5D_Kaiba_-_08_%5BAAC-H264%5D%5BDB8E7A7F%5D.mkv.torrent)

Plenty of answers and even more questions.

Board of Command
Sun, 06-22-2008, 04:40 PM
I thought this episode was a nice change of pace from the usual wacky animation.

Everon
Wed, 07-02-2008, 08:25 AM
I just watched the first two episodes and I'm blown away. Fuck all the haters, there is definitely something unique going on here.

I'm hoping the pacing picks up a tad after these first two.

Munsu
Wed, 07-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Well, finally went ahead and watched episode 7 and 8....

I felt bad for Vanilla in the end, he died in a cool way. I didn't get exactly what he did with Chroniko's/Kaiba's chip... where did he transfer the memories to. Now after episode 8 I'm wondering if the flying thingy is actualy Neiro.

It was also kinda cool seeing the Kaiba plant eating planets.

I don't know, it's hard to follow... you get a gist of what's going on, but it needs a bit of rewatching.

Everon
Thu, 07-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Anyone else getting this Ghost in the Shell vibe? Its not as subtle about themes as GitS, but it doesn't have the trappings of a detective story.

Munsu
Sat, 07-05-2008, 01:55 AM
Here's 9:
http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BF-B_Ureshii%5D_Kaiba_-_09_%5BAAC-H264-720p%5D%5B4550A239%5D.mkv.torrent

3 more to go.

Board of Command
Sat, 07-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Episode 9 was pure win. It's admirable how a series with this kind of animation can still be so engrossing.

Munsu
Tue, 07-08-2008, 03:26 AM
I have to agree, episode 9 was an excellent episode. A lot more reveals, some that I had already expected, some that I didn't. So, his name is indeed Kaiba?

Do you guys think he died? Another memory transfer? I also wonder why Popo needed Neiro to kill Kaiba instead of Popo trying to kill him himself... a hidden agenda? If there's one plot hole at the moment, it's that one... not that I care much about it. Popo is a motherfucker though... having his mom sell her body, altering his best friends memories... he's a tad insane.

Everon
Tue, 07-08-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm guessing the convoluted murder stems from a combination of twisted jealousy and vengeance.

Popo reminds me of Iago from Othello. He's the type of person wants to deny others from love. Thus he pits the two against each other in order to torment them.

Munsu
Wed, 07-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Episode 10:
http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BF-B_Ureshii%5D_Kaiba_-_10_%5BAAC-H264-720p%5D%5B19866061%5D.mkv.torrent
http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BF-B_Ureshii%5D_Kaiba_-_10_%5BAAC-H264%5D%5B71295F04%5D.mkv.torrent

Munsu
Fri, 08-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Final episodes released, episodes 11-12:
http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BF-B_Ureshii%5D_Kaiba_-_11_%5BAAC-H264-720p%5D%5B048C066E%5D.mkv.torrent
http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BF-B_Ureshii%5D_Kaiba_-_12_%5BAAC-H264-720p%5D%5B80DE2FEB%5D.mkv.torrent

Here's the full series:
http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BF-B_Ureshii%5D_Kaiba_01-12%5BAAC-H264-720p%5D.torrent

Will watch them all tonight... hopefully they're kickass.

Death13a
Fri, 08-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Finished Kaiba and it's kickass to all the way to must-watch-series-of-all-times. If you regularly watching anime don't pass Kaiba, art style grows on you as plant in a fertile soil(kaiba?).

Board of Command
Fri, 08-08-2008, 07:10 PM
A brilliant series to say the least.

kenren
Sat, 08-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Kickass series indeed! I'm still confused though. The Warp that appear with the giant sized "Warp" in purple, who exactly is he? The real Warp's inner self?