PDA

View Full Version : Sword of the Stranger

Munsu
Thu, 04-17-2008, 02:01 AM
Well, here's a raw and some subs for the movie:
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=16171
http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=5735

Here's another release, not sure if it's a raw only or if it's subbed. I believe it's subbed:
http://legendadds.com/animeddl/tracker/torrents/[AnimeDDL][Q-R]Sword_Of_The_Stranger(h.264)(DVD)[74B7E4C2].mkv.torrent

The story is set in the Senkoku period. A rounin called Nanashi (meaning 'nameless') saves a young boy Kotarou and his dog Tobimaru at an abandoned temple. Kotarou has no family, is pursued by a mysterious militia organization from China and hires Nanashi as his bodyguard. Amongst the men who pursue Kotarou is a man called Rarou, a very skilled warrior with blond hair and blue eyes. He obeys an old man called Byakuran and is a member of the Chinese militia. Unlike his companions in the militia, he isn't serving any Emperor and just wants to fight with the strong.

Source: Iwa ni Hana

http://www.stranja.jp/
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=2185

animus
Thu, 04-17-2008, 09:03 AM
I believe the third torrents a raw. [Q-R] I believe stands for Quality Raws.

Guess I'll download the first two torrents to check this out. Haven't watched an anime movie in awhile.

Munsu
Thu, 04-17-2008, 12:33 PM
I believe the third torrents a raw. [Q-R] I believe stands for Quality Raws.

Guess I'll download the first two torrents to check this out. Haven't watched an anime movie in awhile.
Yes, Q-R are raws, but this version is subbed... that's why it has another group name in front of it. Probably got some ssa and muxed the Q-R raw with it. Just checked it; had to confirm it myself.

animus
Thu, 04-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Oh, thought it was just some torrent tracker addition like how Anirena does to their stuff since it said AnimeDDL

Munsu
Thu, 04-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Thought the same thing myself, but as there was some ssa running around before that torrent was posted, then I suspected that it already had some subs in it.

Now, which subs do they have muxed together? Because of a v2 of a script that was going around came out after that torrent was done, so there could be some better subs than the ones that included on the release. The first link I posted should have those subs, so if anything you could use that since the raw should be the same anyways.

Shadow Skill
Thu, 04-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Watched the movie, pretty decent.

Atheist
Thu, 04-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the links :)

Kraco
Mon, 04-21-2008, 11:55 AM
I liked this movie. Simple enough story for a movie, pretty cool characters who mostly knew what they wanted and weren't emo. I always like especially those character who only single-mindedly want to fight. They usually have the least crap of all kinds of characters and quickly get to the point. The art was also pleasant. In short nothing wrong with it.

Assassin
Thu, 04-24-2008, 02:27 PM
pretty decent movie...it was a nice fix for my samurai genre craving.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-12-2008, 03:22 AM
Sword of the Stranger - Movie Shinsen-Subs & Formula Sub (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BSHS-FoSu%5D_Sword_of_the_Stranger_%5B4F84C825%5D.mkv.t orrent)

glyphes
Thu, 05-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Lovely movie - awesome deaths, light on story. What could be better? Ending's a little ambiguous though. . .

Darknodin
Sat, 06-21-2008, 10:34 PM
pretty good movie. I recommend this to anyone liking the genre.

KrayZ33
Mon, 06-23-2008, 08:48 AM
*Very* nice movie... one of the best, if not *the* best, I've seen so far.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-19-2008, 09:49 AM
I just saw this myself (the torrent's been sitting there for 6 months). As everybody said before, very enjoyable movie, uncomplicated, and nicely animated. Boy learns to get along with people, man learns a lesson from his past. The Chinese was a little hard to understand, but I think I got used to their accent by the end of it. Though they mainly used the same theme over and over, it sounded grand/epic enough that it doesn't feel "cheap".

Of course, for maximum enjoyment, HD is a must :D

hikkifan17
Mon, 11-24-2008, 12:36 PM
This movie was great, I loved it, truly inspirational :).

Munsu
Fri, 12-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Finally decided to watch this movie. It was great... it's been some years since I've watched a Ninja Scroll samurai type of movie, and this didn't disappoint. The action was great, and the characters were well done.

They could easily make a sequel of it, since the Emperor is surely still after the kid.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-12-2008, 07:09 PM
If they do, I'd want to see a female lead in there somewhere. It's probably the only thing it's missing, and they'll need a new relationship to develop on anyway.

Munsu
Fri, 12-12-2008, 07:12 PM
If they do, I'd want to see a female lead in there somewhere. It's probably the only thing it's missing, and they'll need a new relationship to develop on anyway.
I think they can work something out... maybe the princess can form part of the story somehow.

Pandadice
Sat, 12-13-2008, 02:24 PM
oh, i watched this a couple weeks ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a very nice movie.

I watched the Thora bluray rip.

Inazuma
Sat, 12-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Watched Thora, plain awesome.

digitalrurouni
Sat, 12-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Yes I watched the Thora 1080p version as well and was floored at the awesomeness.

glyphes
Thu, 12-18-2008, 05:34 AM
Not to give anything away, but well, you see him in all the pictures and he's described in animenewsnetwork as "a fiercesome Western fighter" . . . I'd love to know why there's a blond white guy working for the Chinese . . . I guess that's not important. . .

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Who knows. According to the kid, there's plenty of foreigners in China at that time. A skilled swordsman like him who wants to do nothing but fight would find an offer from the Emperor to "fight the strongest enemies" very tempting.

Pandadice
Fri, 12-19-2008, 03:05 AM
oh dude, this is gonna air in like 360+ theaters in the States for 1 day in February. I wish a theater near me was playing it.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-12-17/360+theaters-to-run-sword-of-the-stranger-in-february

glyphes
Thu, 02-12-2009, 02:17 AM
This is a little late (as that the movie showing was last Thurs), but did anyone go see Sword of the Stranger in theaters? I did! It was pretty cool! Um, except the chinese was waaay more noticeably horrendous on the big screen with the huge speakers. . .I kept giggling at inappropriate moments. . .

I have to say that the picture wasn't as sharp on the big screen however :( I think some of the detail is lost as it's projected onto such a big screen. They had Bandai previews of some anime like Haruhi and what was it, Eureka Seven I think. ..something with huge robots and I have to say, the huge robots were *very* impressive on the big screen - more than samurai because of the space and epic-ness.

On the other hand, the "featurette"? Bah, almost a pure waste of time - showed the director and other people talking, some background paintings which were beautiful, but no animation whatsoever, which is what I wanted to see. Then they had twice the time with the American voice actors and. . .well, the english VA for the blond bad guy had to be on something - it was mildly entertaining watching him ramble.

Overall, just worth the $12.50 "event" price . . . though they never checked our tickets. Ah, if only I wasn't such a sucker for well animated violence. . .

Pandadice
Thu, 02-12-2009, 02:41 AM
awman, sweet! if there had been a showing in a theater closer than a 2:30 hour drive, i definitely would have gotten tickets. i wanted to get it for the theater 2:30 hours away, but it was gonna be super hard to get there, so i couldn't really..