PDA

View Full Version : Amatsuki

Munsu
Wed, 04-16-2008, 02:23 AM
First episode of Amatsuki out by Ureshii, xvid and h264:
http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BUreshii%5D_Amatsuki_-_01_%5BA50E075B%5D.avi.torrent
http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BUreshii%5D_Amatsuki_-_01_%5BVORBIS-H264%5D%5B0E3AEB86%5D.mkv.torrent

I've read a couple of volumes from the manga, and looking at the trailers it seems to have a decent amount of action and violence. The manga was a bit hard to understand and follow, but I think the anime will be more straightforward and you should be able to tell what is going on easier.

Ordinary high school student, Tokidoki Rikugō, has to take supplementary History classes, to boost his failing grade, at a state-of-the-art museum. This museum allows the visitor to use high-tech virtual reality to reconstruct a realistic Edo period. However, once the simulation begins, Tokidoki is attacked by a strange creature. After something happens to his left eye, he realizes that he is not wearing the VR goggles - it is no longer a simulation; he's trapped in the past and has no way of getting back.

http://amatsuki.com/
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=5534

animus
Wed, 04-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Ugh, Ureshii either encoded bad or the raw quality just really sucks.

Kraco
Wed, 04-16-2008, 11:46 AM
The first episode wasn't quite as interesting as I hoped. The bitch with the sword isn't the only one who has a problem with the main character dude's attitude...

I wonder why series with a really sharp, clever, and decisive main character are so rare. The dolt in this one made this just another series, but imagine if he had been some badass who, after realising he's trapped in the past, instead of just intending to flow with the events had started to plan how to use his 21st century knowledge to found his own empire there, financial or political. But no... Bah. He would have even had the voice...

tnynyn
Wed, 04-16-2008, 01:48 PM
lol... Tokidoki...

reminds me on the brand for Le Sportsac

BioAlien
Wed, 04-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Ugh, Ureshii either encoded bad or the raw quality just really sucks.
Really? I didn't even noticed. I thought it was normal.

Aside from that, how the hell did he "slip" through time anyway? Was it that yakou thing who did it?

MFauli
Sun, 04-20-2008, 06:07 PM
The first episode wasn't quite as interesting as I hoped. The bitch with the sword isn't the only one who has a problem with the main character dude's attitude...

I wonder why series with a really sharp, clever, and decisive main character are so rare. The dolt in this one made this just another series, but imagine if he had been some badass who, after realising he's trapped in the past, instead of just intending to flow with the events had started to plan how to use his 21st century knowledge to found his own empire there, financial or political. But no... Bah. He would have even had the voice...

Thats exactly why KIBA was a rather bad show, because the main character was too badass.

Just watched the first episode and like it. Nice main character, whose attitude i kind of share, hot female sidekick and a cool guy as a friend. Now if it doesnt fall into some pattern, it could become a great series.

Munsu
Sun, 04-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Kiba was a bad show because the story was awful and the storytelling skills were awful... the main character were the least of its problems. Being too badass is not a real problem, but the character was boring and dry.

Anyways, I really hope this becomes an enjoyable series... as I mentioed before, the story gets a bit wierd and complicated in the manga. Maybe it'll be easier to follow in the anime. There're gods, sci-fi, underworld, conspiracies, and ton of shit in the mix.

animus
Sun, 04-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Kaze no Stigma had a badass main character, and he was the sole reason why I watched that show.

Kraco
Mon, 04-21-2008, 02:48 AM
Thats exactly why KIBA was a rather bad show, because the main character was too badass.

I actually liked the first episodes of Kiba because the main character seemed to know what he wanted and when suddenly presented with an opportunity, he grasped it without much hesitation and worked further towards those goals, dealing appropriately with those who would stand in his way. Yet, towards the end the story made him become just another shounen hero crying after his friend who had become corrupt and generally not knowing what the heck he was doing or wanted to do. So, like Bud said, the main character was the least of that series's problems.

Well, I'm not saying this show would be already beyond redemption but after the first episode this certainly didn't give much of a promising impression. Things could change, naturally, and if I keep watching this, like I probably will at least for a while, I hope they do change for the better.

Darknodin
Tue, 04-22-2008, 07:18 PM
I don't think that at this point, he could have decided that ruling the world would be a good idea. i mean, he just got there. at any rate, i like the setting. reminds me of juuni kokuki a little

sangai
Wed, 04-23-2008, 01:49 AM
tokidoki....im like doesn't that translate to "sometimes" if i recall right, sometimes the naming for anime characters are really odd. my initial thought of the first episode seems like a intresting concept. Anyone know how many episodes it will be up to and one which days it airs on?

ima be mad if he wakes up from a coma or something caused by some kind of park accident >.>.

Kraco
Wed, 04-23-2008, 03:49 AM
I don't think that at this point, he could have decided that ruling the world would be a good idea. i mean, he just got there. at any rate, i like the setting. reminds me of juuni kokuki a little

Why not? I haven't watched anime nearly as long as some people here, but every now and then when I watch the first ep of a new series and it reminds me of some other series even I realise that's a bad thing. Shows with badass main characters are far too uncommon, because most of the shows are following some psychological bs that the hero should be a gray malleable lump that any nerd or otaku could feel a connection to.

Personally I think people would rather enjoy watching cool guys kicking ass because that's what they would want to be like if thrown into some bizarre world, and not what they actually are like if they look into a mirror. It saddens me to say this but in this respect the Hollywood writers are oft better than the Japanese.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 04-23-2008, 05:18 AM
I think Darknodin was referring to a certain adjustment period before he can decide to do anything, while Kraco is referring to what kind of character he really is (which I doubt is the world ruling type).

While I like badass characters, I prefer them to seem weak at first but be cool later on, or have a cool side. I know its cliche, but that is my preference. This guy might turn out to be something like that.

Hawkeye32
Thu, 04-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Heres my take on the whole going back in time thing.

There's the small matter of him being able to gain the neccesary tools / materials to do anything with any of his advanced knowledge of 21st century technology. Keep in mind hes also only a high school student, with a very basic understanding of anything. Although I don't know for sure I imagine hes not very capable physically as he doesn't seem the type to be into martial arts. So its not like he could force anyone to assist him.

Maybe you could make a case for him rising to some sort of status with advanced trading idea's but I'm not sure how much practical knowledge a person in high school would have with that kind of thing but it would take a very long time and some initial capital.

Politically hes got nothing going for him. Hes got no financial support, no noble bloodline, and no influence.

Ultimately the only case of someone doing exactly what was stated was in Utawarerumono when Hakuoro pops up outa nowhere lays down some very basic farming techniques wins over a few peasants beats the crap outa some lowlifes with superior tactical intuition and no small martial skill and winds up being Emperor. The fact that he was a god doesn't hurt him any.

animus
Thu, 04-24-2008, 12:48 AM
At the end of this series, he's gonna be some Japanese History scholar in the present time I'd guess. Lotta series end up like that.

Kraco
Thu, 04-24-2008, 01:41 AM
There's the small matter of him being able to gain the neccesary tools / materials to do anything with any of his advanced knowledge of 21st century technology. Keep in mind hes also only a high school student, with a very basic understanding of anything.

Come on. We have demons and time travelling and you object a high-school student being anything but just an average high-school student with little useful knowledge. Obviously if he was the kind of dude I described, it's required he would have gained suitable knowledge on his own back in his own time.

Still, it's pretty obvious this isn't going to be that kind of series, so it's useless to lay down requirements here. I just hope there's some reason why those two were snathced there. If they don't use some knowledge and skills only inherent to people from the future, there was no point in them being from the future in the first place.

MFauli
Thu, 04-24-2008, 02:56 PM
episode 2 is out

http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/

Hawkeye32
Fri, 04-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Well there we go. I think we can all be happy that our discussion gets wrapped up in a nice little package when Tokidoki pulls out some basic chemistry a bit of acting and puts the spooks on typical full of himself but actually a coward samurai.

The episode name makes almost no sense though considering the only dogs in the whole episode are the one Toki see's a flash of in his left eye and the girl calling herself an inugami tsuki.

Kraco
Sat, 04-26-2008, 10:24 AM
It was a good ep. I guess I'll keep watching. The dude is still spaced-out but it's nice he cares enough for those around him to concoct such a nice plot. After this episode I believe there could still be potential plentifully enough left in this show.

Munsu
Tue, 04-29-2008, 05:47 AM
I was a bit worried about the pace of the early episodes since in my opinion the manga took a while to develop the early portion, but from the looks of it they'll jump right into the meat of things starting with episode 3. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

But seeing anidb, this series is only 13 episodes? That's a wierd number for this series in my opinion. Given, I'm not up-to-date with the manga, but I don't think 13 episodes will be enough to tell the story. But the manga is currently at volume 7 in Japan, so they might be thinking of just animating up to that. I sure hope they don't go all original on us after being quite loyal for the first two episodes, anime original storylines usually suck.

MFauli
Wed, 04-30-2008, 02:15 PM
folge 3

http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/

BioAlien
Thu, 05-01-2008, 10:51 AM
And it ends leaving us in suspense...
I hate when they do that.

Munsu
Sun, 05-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Here's episode 4 by Ureshii:
http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BUreshii%5D_Amatsuki_-_04_%5BVORBIS-H264%5D%5B8927B787%5D.mkv.torrent

Kraco
Thu, 05-22-2008, 03:14 AM
Half-blind, half-seeing:

Episode 5 - Ureshii (http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BUreshii%5D_Amatsuki_-_05_%5BVORBIS-H264%5D%5B668D5FD4%5D.mkv.torrent)

MFauli
Thu, 05-22-2008, 06:03 AM
ok, now the series starts getting a bit too generic. Hopefully it catches up.

Kraco
Thu, 05-22-2008, 11:52 AM
For some reason I find the relationship between Tokidoki and Kuchiha to be rather cute. I hope it keeps developing.

Mizuchi
Sat, 05-31-2008, 01:15 AM
This is a rather strange anime. I wish they add some more combat, because the story is somewhat weak.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-01-2008, 09:38 PM
@Kraco - I bet it has something to do with the pairing between two great (and some of my favorite) voice actors/actresses, Fukuyama and Paku.

Then again there is also the extremely tsundere and always blushing Kuchiha factor.

MFauli
Tue, 06-03-2008, 09:10 AM
The events that happened in the last episode were kinda cool, but imo, the series suffes from its uber generic setting. Ancient Japan just doesnt fit.

Mizuchi
Tue, 06-03-2008, 08:24 PM
I like ancient japan, just they need to throw in more action, even the battles were kinda boring. They need to learn more from Samurai Champloo, now that was a great series.

Kraco
Sun, 06-08-2008, 02:57 AM
What might the fey folk be next up to:

Episode 6 - Ureshii (http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BUreshii%5D_Amatsuki_-_06_%5BVORBIS-H264%5D%5B0A4AEC53%5D.mkv.torrent)

- - - - - - - - -

Edit: I'm liking this series more and more, episode by episode. Tokidoki doesn't bother me anymore, the music is pleasing, the other characters pretty interesting, and the vague and slowish pace of the plot suits me well enough. I guess one major factor for me will remain to be the possible pairing I mentioned in my previous post, though. Without it the story could feel a bit light.

Everon
Sat, 07-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Its up to episode 11 now with subs and everything is coming together nicely. Its a real shame that this only had 13 episodes, considering there are some really shitty ones that have had longer runs. Hopefully a second season is in the making.

Kraco
Wed, 08-06-2008, 02:41 AM
It's all finished now, technically:

1-13 Batch h264 - Ureshii (http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BUreshii%5D_Amatsuki_01-13_%5BH264%5D.torrent)
1-13 Batch xvid - Ureshii (http://a.scarywater.net/ureshii/%5BUreshii%5D_Amatsuki_01-13_%5BXviD%5D.torrent)

- - - - - -

However, the story was cut short. And not short in an artistic way with an open ending but short in a way that requires a second season or it will be an unfinished tale. But does it get one? Who knows. I still don't know exactly why I liked this series so much. It had somewhat little action and that action for the most part wasn't very conventional. Plus it had lots of metaphysical talk that required some thinking to make much sense. I reckon one of the most important things for me was the lack of a clear black and white setting and the Tokidoki-Kuchiha pair (which didn't get any sort of an affirmation either. In fact Kuchiha wasn't even present when the series ended... What is that?)

shinta|hikari
Thu, 08-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Well, the manga continues on, so if any of the fans of this show want to continue the story they can read it.

I also loved the lack of clear right and wrong sides in the show, but what made me keep watching it was Kuchiha (not necessarily in a pair, but she was most cute around Tokidoki)