PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Computer Case

Board of Command
Sun, 04-13-2008, 10:27 PM
I posted this on Facebook, but since most of you don't have me on Facebook...

I plan on making a custom case out of wood/plexiglass after exams are done at the end of this week. It will be a small profile, no fancy stuff case that houses a motherboard, hard drive, power supply and nothing else. It won't even have a monitor or keyboard because it will be controlled remotely. In essence it is just a box. It will be low powered, low noise, low heat.

Give me some ideas if you like and if I deem them worthy then I'll build your design.

To be more clear, it contains:
- motherboard (Intel BadAxe)
- one hard drive; no more, no less
- video card (passive)
- power supply
- a few fans

It does NOT contain:
- CD drive
- fancy cooling

It MIGHT contain:
- fancy suspension system for hard drive

Animeniax
Mon, 04-14-2008, 12:51 AM
Something makes me think this box will be used for covert operations, possibly as a security system or for something lecherous.

Any reason you want to build a case instead of just buying one?

I looked at the badaxe motherboard and it's not micro-atx. Are you choosing it for crossfire ATI capability?

Board of Command
Mon, 04-14-2008, 01:14 AM
Any reason you want to build a case instead of just buying one?
I guess the short answer would be: because I can. The longer answer would be that this will be a dedicated torrent/file storage system that I just carry around when I move from place to place. I'm building this system using minimal funds, so a cheap $30 case is often crap anyway. I enjoy making homemade hardware and this is something I would love to try, just to be different.

I looked at the badaxe motherboard and it's not micro-atx. Are you choosing it for crossfire ATI capability?
No, it's the only spare motherboard I have. I traded a X1900XT for it when I was still working at ATI a few months ago. I tried to sell it a while ago but nobody wanted it since it doesn't support Core 2. I'm just going to put in a Celeron or P4 and underclock/undervolt it because the BadAxe is actually a very good enthusiast board and has those options. mATX boards don't have these features.

Also, the northbridge heatsink broke so I put on my own heatsink. Maybe that's another reason I couldn't sell it...?
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1063/dscf0047ze5.th.jpg (http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0047ze5.jpg)

I realize this is not the ideal motherboard for a "small profile" system but I'm building the thing only using scrap parts. I don't want to go out and buy a new motherboard for a system that I probably don't even need.

Animeniax
Mon, 04-14-2008, 01:21 AM
Do you plan to make it just functional or decorative/showpiece as well?

Do you plan to enter it in any contests, like maximumPC's monthly build contest where you can win $50 and a case of Bawls?

Board of Command
Mon, 04-14-2008, 10:09 AM
I have a rough plan of what to make right now. It's nothing flashy but I'm also trying to not make it look like crap.

Animeniax
Mon, 04-14-2008, 01:49 PM
You gonna keep us in suspense or give details?

I'm in no fit location to mess with building or modding PCs, so I have to live vicariously through others :o .

Board of Command
Mon, 04-14-2008, 03:17 PM
I don't really have details right now. This is still just an idea.

python862
Mon, 04-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Well, you should totally hold a design contest. See who comes up with the best one.

This sounds like an awesome idea, though.

Assertn
Mon, 04-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Aren't cases legally required to contain a certain amount of metal plating to like....shield from electromagnetic emissions or something?

Board of Command
Mon, 04-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Aren't cases legally required to contain a certain amount of metal plating to like....shield from electromagnetic emissions or something?
The metal casing helps to reduce external magnetic interference. It certainly helps quite a bit compared to having no shielding at all, but it's not a strict requirement. Definitely not legally. The computer will work just fine no matter what kind of enclosure it's in. A lot of people run computers that are just sitting in the open (eg. at my workplace).

IFHTT
Mon, 04-14-2008, 07:18 PM
A lot of people run computers that are just sitting in the open

Yeah, I know a guy that once used a Domino's Pizza box as a case for a little bit while he was waiting for a backordered case to arrive... I wish I had some pics of it :(

Edit: Also, I've been thinking about building a custom mATX machine/enclosure for a NAS solution when I build my new desktop rig, but I think I will probably be going with a finished wood theme to make it look aesthetically similar to my tv stand and computer desk.. I can't wait to see what you can come up with.