PDA

View Full Version : Series En Fuego

Munsu
Sun, 04-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Well, looking at how the Code Geass discussion has progressed so far... I'd be comfortable adding a new series to that forum.

I'm thinking of either Tower of Druaga or Soul Eater. What do you guys think? Any other series in mind? I think Soul Eater would make a good choice, with it being 51 episodes and all.

I know I'll keep an eye on Blade of the Immortal for when it finally comes out, but until then I think we can manage to give a bit of more exposure to another series...

With all that said, lets use this thread for whenever any of you want to suggest a new series to move to the Series En Fuego discussion.

Assassin
Sun, 04-13-2008, 01:19 PM
I vote for the tower of druaga

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-13-2008, 01:26 PM
I've got to put my opinion towards Soul Eater. I'd rather say Macross, but it doesn't look like it will have reliable subbing nor does the following seem that large this season.

But definitely Soul Eater then. It's long, done by BONES so we know the animation will keep up to standards all season long (excepting that soccer eps of Eureka 7), and it is a staple shonen series of the season.

Those that don't fall into watching Code Geass will more likely be picking up Soul Eater than Druaga. Sounds like a series of good fights, and possibly some stuff to debate about.

Kraco
Sun, 04-13-2008, 02:05 PM
It's kind of hard to say which other series will become big over here. And have the status and level of quality to stand on its own next to the brilliant awesomeness of Geass.

But it would make sense and would be viable to have another series there. Soul Eater might work, but does it have enough audience and activity (yet or ever)? Who could predict that...

complich8
Sun, 04-13-2008, 02:31 PM
I'd say .... if it looks like it might work based on ep 1 discussion, go ahead and move it over before episode 2 drops. If it looks like the discussion's not hot enough after a couple episodes pass, then demote it back to a regular general anime thread.

Least, that's what I'd do.

Munsu
Sun, 04-13-2008, 02:38 PM
I'd say .... if it looks like it might work based on ep 1 discussion, go ahead and move it over before episode 2 drops. If it looks like the discussion's not hot enough after a couple episodes pass, then demote it back to a regular general anime thread.

Least, that's what I'd do.
I was thinking something like this myself... I think I'll go ahead and do it. Might move both of them, see the type of interaction we get from them after a couple of episodes. But certainly moving Soul Eater for the time being...

In the meantime we can see how the forum handles two or three series at the same time in there.

Munsu
Fri, 10-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Well, Code Geass is done...

Suggest some series than could make a good "Series en Fuego" series, and I'll completely obejectively choose one or two shows to move there. Chaos:Head, Tales of the Abyss, and the Index one seem like good choices from what I've seen around...

Thanks.

The Heretic Azazel
Fri, 10-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Definitely Casshern Sins and Chaos;Head

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-17-2008, 03:46 PM
I vote Tales of the Abyss and Toaru Majutsu no Index.

Ryllharu
Fri, 10-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Of those listed in the posts above, I think you should only add Tales of the Abyss.

So far, it is the only series with a sufficient number of posts to go into the subforum. The interest in Toradora appears to be waning (and not just here), and nothing else has really gained a sufficient following. Index, Casshern and Chaos;Head would only garner a very small number posts per episode.

That said, you could toss in Nodame or CLANNAD, they both have a stronger following here.

Munsu
Fri, 10-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Guess I'll add Tales of the Abyss for now when I can.

Clannad, I don't care for... so it's not going. Nodame I like, but with only 11 episodes, I'd preffer a longer series.

I'll keep an eye on the others and see if any gets a lot of interest. I had forgotten about Casshern, will watch it tomorrow and see how it is. Do I need to watch the movie or something before the anime... if any of you knows?

Keep giving me suggestions...

Ryllharu
Fri, 10-17-2008, 06:29 PM
I believe Casshern Sins is a remake of the old 70s series. There was also a related early 90s OVA (which was pretty good), but again was an alternate retelling. You don't need to watch the movie...ever. It was eye candy and little else.

masamuneehs
Fri, 10-17-2008, 08:10 PM
I support the addition of Casshern Sins (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=16526). I also think that, although Tales of the Abyss is by far the most mainstream of the animes I'm watching this season, it's popularity puts it into the En Fuego category.

Other titles I'd like to see more discussion of:

Tytania (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=16561) (hah! unlikely, but it's just one of those kinds of shows I love and most people won't even try... but I suppose it won't make the cut)

And it's some kind of crime that there's only three posts for Ga-Rei Zero (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=16574) People, what the hell? You don't like nasty sci-fi supernatural action?

Chaos;Head is one I haven't looked into yet, but there are a fair amount of posts in there, so maybe eventually...

Munsu
Fri, 10-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Tytania seems liek a LoGH type of show, will give it a try later and see how it goes.

I read the manga for Ga-Rei, not sure how it relates to this anime, but I was enjoying the manga.

RyougaZell
Fri, 10-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Was it really necessary to fuse all code geass thread in one? Dunno if I can find the music releases this way...
Wouldn't it have been better to have another sub-forum to leave old threads of a former serie en fuego? or just let the threads die?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Go Search Boards-> Advanced search -> use the term "[Nipponsei] Code Geass R2", and change setting show results as posts instead of threads. It should give you most, if not all the release posts.

Munsu
Fri, 10-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Was it really necessary to fuse all code geass thread in one? Dunno if I can find the music releases this way...
Wouldn't it have been better to have another sub-forum to leave old threads of a former serie en fuego? or just let the threads die?
This is the system, and it'll stay as it currently is... use the search function, and you'll find most if not all what you're looking for. Else, there's the download section to ask for such things, so ask there if you can't find what you're looking for.

Anyways, keep suggesting more series.

Inazuma
Sun, 10-19-2008, 06:23 AM
Why is Casshern NOT in the In Fuegos series ?

Kraco
Sun, 10-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Casshern might certainly have the novelty, artistic, and other factors to justify it being there, but does it have enough activity? After three episodes it's still no more than 17 replies.

Inazuma
Sun, 10-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Noted, but it lacks exposure. And it's an original concept.

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-19-2008, 10:19 AM
And [Casshern Sins is] an original concept.
I question (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=1561) this (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=1445) statement (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405821/).

Series En Fuego to me always meant series that were very popular and garnered a lot of replies. Often they will also be subbed by a speedsubbing group and an "archive" group weeks later, thus creating a need for threads were viewers of only the archival quality would not be spoiled and could remain relevant. These are series that would otherwise get their own subforum, but are not ongoing long series or are frequent recurring series (like Gundam).

The first step is absolutely that they will gather a large enough following or at least a vocal enough discussion. Series like School Days would have ended up in the subforum.

animus
Sun, 10-19-2008, 11:35 AM
We don't actually have any series this season really that can warrant a lot of deep discussion or inquiries, besides imo Tytania. And that's got a lame amount of replies, and people watching it.

It's a shame though, series like To Aru Majutsu no Index, that should get exposure, don't.

Munsu
Sun, 10-19-2008, 02:12 PM
We don't actually have any series this season really that can warrant a lot of deep discussion or inquiries, besides imo Tytania. And that's got a lame amount of replies, and people watching it.

It's a shame though, series like To Aru Majutsu no Index, that should get exposure, don't.
We'll see how the next episode goes. Eclipse is subbing it, and they usually release in a timely manner, so it has that going for it. Everyone that is currently watching it seems to enjoy it... but yeah, let's wait and see how the third episode goes.

Some series take a while before people get engaged on them. I know Gurren Lagann took a while before people gave it a shot. But from the looks of it Chaos:Head is getting a decent following. Casshern Sins seems to be top notch, and Index looks like it will be well liked by most that partcipate in GW.

Else, we'll wait till the Winter season and pick a series from there.

Inazuma
Sun, 10-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Well, Casshern is something original, why because it gets out of the " I'm a hero, I must save." (Bleach, Naruto, ...) He says "Hi", people die, we know shit about whats going, I think that alone is enough to have that series out in the spotlight.

And, by the way, I gave Ga rei Zero a shot, and well, it's awesome.

About replies; popular stuff isnt always great. Vampire knight deserves to be En Fuego ? No because even though emo clampish vampire stories are popular, they still are relative shit that won't compare to FLCL, Cowboy Bebop or anything thats absolutly genius.

TAMI - GRZ - Casshern. Those three things deserve some room, but come on, on what criteria are we gonna chose heh ?
TAMI is cool, funny guys with weirdos negating their powers.
GRZ is violent, multi POV story, blood, monster, fights, Yarh.
Casshern is a mindfuck, kick ass art design, top notch animation and screenplay and best sidechars.

Good luck with the choosing mods.

masamuneehs
Sun, 10-19-2008, 09:23 PM
i hate to say it, but no matter how crappy the show is, all that matters for determining whether or not there's enough discussion to warrant it getting a section for Episode by Episode threads (and misc things like theme discussion threads and music release threads) is the popularity.

just look at the other shows that have sections dedicated to them: Naruto, Bleach, One Piece. The best animes? Please, let's not kid ourselves. But they get plenty of per episode discussion, at least they did the last time I ventured into those sections, which has been a while as I really don't care about any of them any more. (and they are long-running, which helps popularity momentum accumulate)

We once made sections for 'currently popular' animes, and the two shows featured there were Blood+ and Black Cat. Yeah, not only bad, but they garnered maybe a handful of per episode discussion threads, with only yours truly posting extra threads about themes/characters. When they were merged back into one thread and put back in General Anime (well before they concluded airing), nobody made the slightest peep of protest. Those shows had about as many followers as TotA has now, if that's any idea for how rare a truly 'En Fuego' series is to come across, especially if it'll last inside of 26 episodes.

Of course, I still post here to tell people to check out shows like Casshern, Tytania, Ga-Rei Zero (and to read about shows like Chaos;Head, which I'm getting later today) so that maybe they'll accumulate enough of a following here to merit En Fuego status.

If you feel really strongly about episode-by-episode discussion, try grabbing some fans of the series you like from the forums/IRC channels of the fansubbers working on it and try to get them over here.

ChaosK
Mon, 10-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Put Gundam 00 in there. It has a significant amount of viewers/discussion on the forums and it already has a thread for each episode anyway. The move would just be changing its location and giving it more exposure. Also, the mysteries that remain in gundam 00 promote enough discussion to not have to worry about it being abandoned.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Put Gundam 00 in there. It has a significant amount of viewers/discussion on the forums and it already has a thread for each episode anyway. The move would just be changing its location and giving it more exposure. Also, the mysteries that remain in gundam 00 promote enough discussion to not have to worry about it being abandoned.

Gundam gets its own forum, so it doesn't count. Otherwise, Naruto, Bleach and One Piece would be in En Fuego.

Munsu
Mon, 10-20-2008, 02:58 PM
What do you guys think of this idea? Seen it's quite clear that there are no shows at the level of Code Geass at the moment, how about keeping the section fresh each season? What this would mean is to take Soul Eater off the En Fuego section, since it already served it purpose of making the show a bit more popular, and then give the chance to other series to see if they get a bit of more exposure?

Just an idea, and would like the thoughts on this from those that discuss Soul Eater...

So I was thinking of removing Soul Eater, and then adding Chaos;Head and Casshern Sins to Tales of the Abyss which is already there.

Good idea? Bad?

Inazuma
Mon, 10-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Well, removing Soul Eater is a No-no unless it's in order to give it it's own section.

And about what Masa said, why not having a "Spotlight" subforum together with the En Fuego one ?

Kraco
Mon, 10-20-2008, 03:26 PM
I don't think it would be wise to remove Soul Eater. Some episode threads haven't got that many posts but some have reached a couple of pages (I guess this depends on the posts/pages setting, though). But anyway, it would be strange to remove it. Especially since I doubt simply placing a series into the Series En Fuego subforum would magically increase the watcher number that much. Maybe it seems redundant to keep a subforum it there are no new series to place there, but also I deem it unreasonable to "force" every season to have exceptional series gathering lots of watchers and discussion.

Munsu
Mon, 10-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Fair enough. The other side of it is that I have no problem removing a show from the En Fuego section if the discussion doesn't go up after a couple of episodes. I don't mind the "forcing" part, if by forcing it the series gets more discussion. And again, if it doesn't work, I have no problems removing it.

The other idea that I had was to instead of having one child forum for two or three series, to create two or three child forums... one for each series. This will eliminate the problem we sometimes have with one show not having much exposure in the "Last Post" column. This seemed to be a big problem with Code Geass, since Code Geass was always the more active one, Soul Eater and the others were rarely shown there.

And since these are child forums, it shouldn't clog up the place much. Once a series is over, we just do the usual... merge the threads, and rename the child forum with the next series taking over...

Archangel
Mon, 11-03-2008, 03:49 PM
If you want people to discuss the episodes of the anime that are added to the section, you should only add series that the forum is passionate about.

Why not make a poll every new season with the new animes that have come out and let the gotwooters themselves judge if an anime is indeed "en fuego" or not?

Ryllharu
Mon, 11-03-2008, 04:30 PM
In the end we still have to guess. There are a lot of series that I myself didn't hop aboard to watch until the fandom had already grown a good discussion. Somewhere around 7 or 8 episodes into the series. Given how easy it is to obtain back episodes, there are tons of series that don't gain a following until well after the fact. Gurren Lagaan was like that. School Days exaggerated it even further. I didn't hop in until episode 5 or 6, but the real discussion in the thread (ultimately doubling the posts in the thread) didn't start until after the series ended.

So, we're left to guess, and a poll will only bring in the hype vote. There were several series that were hyped this season, and few of them are getting any discussion. We just go with what we expect to be popular, like Tales or some other shonen series.

Archangel
Mon, 11-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Well every single anime that has been in fuego and earned itself its very own sub-forum has been a shonen anime, that's just the way things are.

Now, if a mod ( for example Munsu, i think he's do a good job ) made a poll with the new series each season, and maybe even gave away the links to a trailer and how to download the first episode, we would know just how the forum feels about said series and if it should be added to the board or not.

If you want to be even more precise, make the votes public and make a rule that everyone who votes has to explain in some detail why they voted for that specific anime.

Kraco
Mon, 11-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Only with rare series can people predict even their own actions. Trailers aren't that good, either. Just consider all Hollywood movies: pretty much all the trailers look splendid even if most of the movies suck noodles. Only some series worth their hype are sure bets. Otherwise there's no other choice than to wait and see if the threads gather discussion. Because the amount of discussion is the key here, and nobody can discuss stuff without material to discuss. Those aforementioned hyped series may have pages of discussion even before the first episode, but that's an exception.

I doubt simpy moving a series to En Fuego will gather any extra posters. Most people never post anyway, so the bulk of the posts is made by the same people, plus a few jokers if it's an exceptional series. I don't see those those (us) same people changing their behavior that much whether its En Fuego or not.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-03-2008, 06:57 PM
I doubt simpy moving a series to En Fuego will gather any extra posters. Most people never post anyway,

Off topic, what's the ratio of lurkers (signed in) vs posters visiting anime threads on average? (not per visit, just no. of members). Is it possible to find such statistics?

RyougaZell
Thu, 11-06-2008, 12:25 AM
Personnally... only Code Geass has fallen on such category. The other series on fuego haven't sparked my interest.

I still wish they would just have sent all the geass threads to a 'old fuego' sub-forum instead of merging, but I guess policies are policies.

Geass R2 alone had 1700+ replies.

Soul Eater and Tales of the Abbys together have 500 until now. To be fair, Abbys is new, but Soul Eater has been around for a while already (30 episodes)

TheBladeChild
Wed, 11-12-2008, 07:15 PM
I agree, I feel that CG might fade to obscurity in the General Anime section and be complete missed out by new anime watchers. I wouldnt mind a "old fuego" subforum as Ryoga has suggested or like a "gotwoot favorites thread".

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-12-2008, 08:20 PM
But wasn't this the whole point of the En Fuego? I really don't mind it being put into one thread, since it makes for good archiving. The point of breaking it into specific episode threads was so we didn't have one massive thread to navigate through as we posted, and it also served as a spoiler warning in its own right for those watching non-gg-eclipse releases. Now that it's over, it only makes sense to make it whole again, and make room for more.

Only issue I have with the merging is that all the other info's scrambled, namely the music releases. I blame the search engine for that.

RyougaZell
Wed, 11-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Also...
We still need to discuss future Picture Dramas of Code Geass (#3 has Kallen losing her clothes in front of Lelouch AGAIN, and #4 has Kallen and CC acting as Harem Ladies)... so... Code Geass isn't really 'finished'

Munsu
Thu, 11-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Your concerns have been noted. Move on... thanks.

Munsu
Mon, 12-29-2008, 07:53 AM
Well Tales of a Abyss was a big mistake... there has been pretty much zero discussion for the latest 4 episodes, so I'll take it down soon. Should have gone with Index instead.

Anyways, looking ahead for the Winter Season that is just about to begin, we'll probably have 3 series in there. Soul Eater still needs to finish, so that's one.

I'm thinking of Black God (Kuro Kami) for another, which most people here should enjoy... assuming that Sunrise doesn't fuck it up (there are already some questionable changes).

The third one, well I was thinking of the next season of Druaga... but I think I'll give something else a try. So, I'm thinking of Kemono no Soja Erin.

So, I'll keep an eye on what piques my interest, the groups that are releasing and the amount of discussion.

Suggestions of series?

Ryllharu
Mon, 12-29-2008, 10:47 AM
I think Druaga should go there (was popular before, should be again) and Kurokami, since even if Sunrise fucks it up, it'll still attract an audience for the action and obvious inclusion of ecchi.

Kemono no Souja Erin has potential, but like Seirei no Moribito, it will still be an underappreciated niche series.

You may want to give White Album a spot in there. It might be something the Clannad/Kanon fans on the forum enjoy. Some of the more prominent of fansub groups have expressed interest in it (Eclipse, Menclave-ANBU, Osu)

I would have said Queen's Blade, since it has Mai Hime meets Ikkitousen (but not terrible) and Claymore potential, but apparently that doesn't come out until March.

RyougaZell
Mon, 12-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Why not add Index even if its half-season?
Tales of the Abyss had only 100 replies on the 14 aired episodes. Index has double that in 13 episodes. Whereas the Soul Eater threads, with almost 38 episodes has about 570 posts.

I watched the Kurokami trailer... it looks interesting and a like candidate for fuego. And I do agree with Ryll, White Album seems a good candidate for a fuego series.

Munsu
Tue, 12-30-2008, 06:07 AM
I might do that with Index, and probably simply add Kuro Kami when it comes out (depending on the popularity of other series coming out).

Tales of the Abyss will be removed later today.

Good idea? Please comment or for ever hold your peace.

Xelbair
Tue, 12-30-2008, 11:23 AM
I agree - its a good idea. Index attracts much more attention than my beloved tales.

Ryllharu
Tue, 12-30-2008, 12:15 PM
I would probably take Soul Eater out as well, with all the C&D letters, both the pace and quality of fansubbers has gone way down, and so apparently has interest in the series. There is very little discussion anymore. It won't be long before it follows Tales of the Abyss.

I think it would actually benefit from being consolidated back in General Anime again.

Munsu
Tue, 12-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of taking Soul Eater out myself, but quite a few people objected to it last season. So I wonder if the opinion might've changed? Though Soul Eater gets its fair share of discussion every other episode or so... or is the current discussion garbage about subbers? I haven't paid attention.

Last time I was thinking of rotating the series every season, unless there was a really popular series like Code Geass or if simply a series shows that it gets a good abundance of discussion (which in this forum is quite hard to get for a particular series). That way, every season 2-3 series gets the benefit of the En Fuego exposure that they might have not otherwise gotten. It might also freshen up the forum at the same time every few months.

Input from more people is appreciated.

Nadouku
Wed, 12-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Hmm, placing Index on the Series En Fuego now would be nice before it's too late, as it does generate a lot of discussion about each person's powers and such. I would give my vote!

Yukimura
Wed, 12-31-2008, 06:11 PM
I would vote yes to Index for lack of anything better at the moment but maybe it would be prudent to wait until the winter shows start up. I have high expectations that a good number of people will embrace Druaga's 2nd season for instance. There are plenty of shows that should be starting up in the next two weeks or so and at least one of them should catch a lot of attention (Go Queen's Blade!).

Ryllharu
Wed, 12-31-2008, 06:31 PM
Queen's Blade got pushed back to April, Yuki. I mentioned it above (albeit incorrectly as March). It is sad news.

[source: Moonphase.cc/anime]

Marik
Wed, 12-31-2008, 07:52 PM
I vote for the new Hajime no Ippo series. I don't know how many fans it has on this board, though.

Munsu
Wed, 12-31-2008, 09:25 PM
I vote for the new Hajime no Ippo series. I don't know how many fans it has on this board, though.
While Hajime no Ippo may be great and popular, I don't envision it having too much discussion.

I would vote yes to Index for lack of anything better at the moment but maybe it would be prudent to wait until the winter shows start up. I have high expectations that a good number of people will embrace Druaga's 2nd season for instance. There are plenty of shows that should be starting up in the next two weeks or so and at least one of them should catch a lot of attention (Go Queen's Blade!).

Yep, that's the decision we have to make. That's why I think moving Soul Eater back to General Anime is a good idea. The other side is that Index being popular might help the other series that are chosen for En Fuego. The other side is that with Index having only 9 episodes left, it'll finish just in time for when the Spring comes so that's an opening right there that we might have not otherwise had.

I think a combination of Black God, Druaga (or Erin), and Index would make quite a solid lineup as we move forward.

My only objection to Druaga, other than leaning towards a fresh series that hasn't been done before, is that the first season had a handful of pointless (although funny) episodes that didn't generate any discussion other than some random comments here and there. Don't know if this'll be the case with the 2nd series. But in its own merit, it's quite popular here and quite a few people has since then watched the series and liked it so the viewership has increased.

Would really like to hear from people watching Soul Eater and see what their thoughts are of moving the the show back to General Anime.

Also, do we dare put 4 series in there if we find it meriting? I'm going to start sticky-ing the latest discussion threads of all the series in there so that should be helpful. We don't lose anything with trying.

I also have a feeling that Rideback might be a much better series than what it seems at the moment. Going to read the first volume of the manga to see how it is.

Ryllharu
Wed, 12-31-2008, 10:34 PM
Do we even need the subforum currently?

Part of the reason the section was created (probably the larger part at the time) was to regulate the excessive discussion certain series generated. The side benefit was promoting other series. However, the past two times, the "big" series didn't generate much discussion at all, and potentially hurt them being in a less obvious place.

Nor have separate threads for the type of series that don't generate 75+ posts per episode helped them in any way. Series that go into the section to be promoted generally recieve 3-6 posts, one announcing a release, and discussion among the three or four following the series and actually willing to post.

I don't think Black God (like Soul Eater at present) will generate the same levels of conversation that Naruto, Code Geass, or Gundam generate. I also wonder how much isolating Promotional series helps them. I think it actually does the converse.

While Index certainly is a viable candidate right now, there really isn't anything during this short Winter season that really needs to go in there. Perhaps next season, when series like Queen's Blade potentially and particularly the Full Metal Alchemist remake air, we will want them to be in there.

--------------------------------------
If we do want to keep it active this upcoming season, I'd still go with Index, Kemono no Souja Erin and White Album. Black God will be fine on its own for now, but I feel it will end up in the same position as Soul Eater is now, especially since Bandai will be sending C&D letters to subbers from day 1.

Munsu
Wed, 12-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Yeah, I just wanted to make use of the section.

In reality I guess the best way to use it would be solely for Code Geass-like type of popular series. And if there's none in a season, then we simply don't use the section that season.

On the other hand, I think other series benefit from it. I think Druaga got more discussion this way than what it would've ordinarily.

There's really no clear cut way to go about it in my opinion.

Anyways, I think moving Index would be a good move for it. And we can just see how the Winter season goes, and if a really popular series arises, then we move it.

Kraco
Thu, 01-01-2009, 03:38 AM
My main problem for making suggestion is the lack of a clear consensus about what the Series En Fuego is at all. Is it a place to promote certain series or is it a place to make discussion easier for certain series? These two things basically are opposites. From a practical point of view I highly doubt the subsection actually will promote anything, like I've said before. So, it leaves only the discussion assistance, which pretty much means allowing asynchronous watcher base as you can comment on an older episode without getting spoiled by new episode conversation. Needless to say, only series like Code Geass really needed this, although earlier Soul Eater also showed a slight lag with a couple or a few threads being active, probably only because of some people waiting for higher quality subbers while others watched whatever came out first.

All in all I don't see much wisdom in moving series back and forth between En Fuego and General, although it might be inevitable, because nobody can predict how popular most series will turn out to be. What comes to Index, I don't think it will especially benefit from it even if it would outwardly fulfill the requirement of lots of posts per thread.

I'm a bit of a conservative so I'll vote for keeping Soul Eater there because it has always been there, and only picking a series or two from the coming season there based on how much posts the first couple of eps gain (and how much hype they have in general). Druaga should be a good bet.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-01-2009, 07:56 AM
My opinions coincide with Kraco's. But I won't oppose that the subforum serves a new purpose. It just needs defining what exactly we're trying to do with it. In terms of Index, we can move it there based on popularity, if popularity is the key to moving it. If not, it should stay. Eclipse is what everyone watches, and things have been going pretty smoothly for now anyway.

Munsu
Thu, 01-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Well Kraco, suggestions are not limited to what series we might want to put there. Suggestions might simply be on what type of usage we can give to the section and weighting the pros and cons of doing so (like you did in your post above). If I don't have enough input from you guys around here, then good decisions won't be made.

In all, the En Fuego section does not really need defining the way I see it, in my opinion. I like to work it on a case by case basis. There are different type of motivations as to why one would want a series in there or not, and also one has to weight what the collection of chosen series at the same time might look like and how they might support each other.

One motivation might be because a series is very popular and each episode has a lot of discussion like was the case with Code Geass. Another motivation might be a good series that might be overlooked and we judge that it could benefit from being moved there, in essence to give it more exposure (if it does that at all). Another motivation might be for series with super powers and stuff like Index, where various different types of discussions might arise which don't really carry too well in a single thread. And there may be others.

I really don't know, I just want more input.

And as you, I like consistency as well. But I also see some positive in rotating series around, especially when I see a series that might not be using the section to the fullest (though I think Soul Eater overall has done fairly well, though not as good as I expected). I think rotating series, if deemed appropiate, each season might liven up the place and make it quite refreshing.

And I disagree with the section not being able to promote something. In my opinion Druaga benefited from being there because I think more people tried it even if they didn't intend to in the first place, and I think that's all you can ask for as it regards that. But at the same time, I see a con in that if the series is not as strong as its counterparts the exposure might lessen, which was probably what affected Druaga discussion a bit. So what we saw is that Druaga got more people than would've normally watched it, but being paired up with Code Geass and Soul Eater might have been counter productive to its discussion since the new episode discussions were overshadowed by those two.

Hey, what about this idea? Even if a series is in the En Fuego section, that we allow new episode discussions to be created in General Anime parent forum. When a new episode airs, we simply move it to the En Fuego section. I think that could work, would like some opinions on this idea too.

At the moment, all I need from you guys is opinions regarding all matters. And also learning from a mistake with Code Geass, I'll consider some useful threads (like the OST ones) and not merge them in the end, but simply lock them and refference the thread somewhere. I think that might be a good change.

In all I don't think we should limit ourselves to difining the section. I like that at the moment it's quite flexible and we can change how we go about it.

Ryllharu
Thu, 01-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Hey, what about this idea? Even if a series is in the En Fuego section, that we allow new episode discussions to be created in General Anime parent forum. When a new episode airs, we simply move it to the En Fuego section. I think that could work, would like some opinions on this idea too.

At the moment, all I need from you guys is opinions regarding all matters. And also learning from a mistake with Code Geass, I'll consider some useful threads (like the OST ones) and not merge them in the end, but simply lock them and refference the thread somewhere. I think that might be a good change.

In all I don't think we should limit ourselves to difining the section. I like that at the moment it's quite flexible and we can change how we go about it.
Aside from the tedious level of work that may be required to maintain the housekeeping, I think that allowing an episode thread to be created in the General Anime before moving to the En Fuego subforum eliminates a lot of the issues I have with the section in terms of a promotional capacity.

Part of the reason I think the section detracts from conversation is the lower visibility of the section. Sure, it is at the top, but like all forums, the majority of users ignore the stuff on the top. Rules, Informational Stickies, etc. However, if the episode threads stay in the dynamic area of the forums (General Anime) where visibility is higher, the promotional function is much improved.

I do also like the idea of leaving the usage of the section open. There are not always series of the level of FMA or Geass, like this upcoming season. This time, the section would serve a great deal better as a promotional aspect. If we combine the constant thread shifting, there should be fewer issues with reduced visibility.

Munsu
Thu, 01-01-2009, 09:14 AM
I have no problem doing the work. If I wasn't willing to do it, I wouldn't suggest it.

And I agree with you with the exposure problem, which is why I'm looking to make it better... it's my main problem with the section.

Kraco
Thu, 01-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Hmm... At first I was going to oppose having the newest episode thread in the General Anime as it would look strange and inconsistent there, but I suppose it might work, after all. In the end it wouldn't increase threads as such if the old one is moved to the En Fuego as soon as a new one is created. I don't know if it's really true more people would participate in the discussion, though. While people might fail to notice stickies and such, it's only because they weren't looking for them with interest. However, if they want to say something about an episode, I'm sure one more mouse click won't slow them down.

It would somewhat lessen the importance of En Fuego of course, seeing how people wouldn't even need to visit it anymore if they only pay attention to the latest ep, but if you think it's a good idea, go ahead.

David75
Thu, 01-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Ok so by creating a thread/ep in the anime section, we quicly get an idea of the popularity.
If it doesn't work, then it's a merge, if it does it's a promotion to the En Fuego.

Nice.

With a simple rule regarding formating of the episode thread titles:
Copy and paste First Ep formating, then add ep number at the end.

That will be clean and easy to maintaint I guess, and I guess everyone already follows that.

Munsu
Thu, 01-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Hmm... At first I was going to oppose having the newest episode thread in the General Anime as it would look strange and inconsistent there, but I suppose it might work, after all. In the end it wouldn't increase threads as such if the old one is moved to the En Fuego as soon as a new one is created. I don't know if it's really true more people would participate in the discussion, though. While people might fail to notice stickies and such, it's only because they weren't looking for them with interest. However, if they want to say something about an episode, I'm sure one more mouse click won't slow them down.

It would somewhat lessen the importance of En Fuego of course, seeing how people wouldn't even need to visit it anymore if they only pay attention to the latest ep, but if you think it's a good idea, go ahead.
No harm in trying. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I can see the problem with the sticky threads. We might not even need to sticky them. If we think they're popular, the discussion alone should keep the series in the first page for easy viewing. In fact, I think we're better off without stickying them because once you move the thread you would've to unsticky them which will be more work and unnecessary.

If the discussion isn't frequent enough to keep the thread in the first page for a decent amount of time then that's a clear sign that the series doesn't belong in En Fuego.

As for the En Fuego section... well it'll be more of a means to keep the forum more clean and organized, but at the same time it'll allow for people to create Release Information threads, OST threads, and other misc discussion stuff that might be of interest.

Also, this might allow us to put more series in there that might be of interest without having too many problems as it regards episode discussions.

I have a feeling it'll work out.

Ok so by creating a thread/ep in the anime section, we quicly get an idea of the popularity.
If it doesn't work, then it's a merge, if it does it's a promotion to the En Fuego.

Nice.

With a simple rule regarding formating of the episode thread titles:
Copy and paste First Ep formating, then add ep number at the end.

That will be clean and easy to maintaint I guess, and I guess everyone already follows that.

I think that's the gist of it. And yeah, people overall have been quite good in keeping a uniform format when creating new discussion threads. I used to be quite bad, with random threads all over the place with random naming schemes. I remember I used to start almost all discussion of animes for a period of time using the current format, and people kept using it and even improved on it.

Edit: I think the majority of you have expressed that you might enjoy Index in the En Fuego section. So I'm going to add it now, though I wont move the current thread yet. As per Kraco's request, and trying out this new format, I'll leave Soul Eater too. I think that's for the best. In all, we might be able to fit a good number of series in the section with this current format, if we think it'll be helpful in discussions and warranted and not too much work.

Kraco
Thu, 01-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Let's hope we won't get duplicate threads with somebody creating a new one in En Fuego like usual and somebody else creating another one in the General Anime following this new convention.

Munsu
Thu, 01-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Let's hope we won't get duplicate threads with somebody creating a new one in En Fuego like usual and somebody else creating another one in the General Anime following this new convention.
Lol, that's a possibility. Let's hope it doesn't happen... often. Well, Index and Soul Eater have converted to the NEW En Fuego system. Let's see how it goes especially when the new episode comes out. Will see how it goes and if it ends up being too much work for the Mods and myself, and if the work is warranted.

I'm also going to stop using "Episode" in the naming of threads... Soul Eater will be the last series to do so. I realize that it's quite unnecessary. Although I like it for the Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece sections to avoid confusion with manga chapters when people are using the search engine.

Yukimura
Sun, 01-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Just a little usage report from a random user who doesn't follow the support threads religiously. After seeing a thread labeled "Index: 13" and noticing that To Aru Majutsu no Index was in Series en Fuego it seemed to me that some sort of mistake had been made because the Status Quo was broken. Thus I reported the first post of the thread insinuating as much. After that I came here and read that the usage format had been changed and that my report was apparently unnecessary. When something goes against the status quo and no one has made it painfully obvious that the status quo has changed I think these sorts of things are bound to happen.

I'd also like to toss my late game two cents in about the change to the status quo. I don't really understand the point of breaking a series up by episodes and then putting those episode threads into General Anime. It seems like it could lead to confusion on the off chance some new person stumbled onto the forums and wanted to start a thread (kind of like I suspect Series en Fuego may cause some confusion to anyone unfamiliar with Spanish who stumbles upon this English speaking forum). Unless people are aware of the connection between "Index: 13" and "Toaru Majutsu no Index" being a 'Series en Furego", which they'd also have to understand the meaning of, I think some people could start seeing the practice of making threads per episode the standard practice for any series leading to more clutter, time will tell of course, and new blood isn't exactly frequent here so maybe there's not point in worrying about it.

That said, if the episode threads are going to be moving at 'random' (defined by when the mods get around to moving them) times from Gen Anime to SeF I don't get how that is good for discussion. Speaking as a selfish person who wants the forums to facilitate his ability to read and make posts about anime he's interested in I don't see any benefit for myself in having to potentially hunt for a thread on two different boards at the whim of the schedules of the staff and whatever rubric they come up with to decide when a thread needs to move into SeF.

I'm not trying to say that the staff are lazy or won't be able to stay on top of things but the practice institutes uncertainty. If I come onto the forums and am looking for the latest Toaru discussion where should I look first? Do I look in General Anime or do I look in SeF? With the old status quo I have no uncertainty. I know that all threads related to SeF series will be in the Sef board for as long as the series title is on the SeF Board subtitle. With the new system I would have to start guessing/assuming based on my own knowledge of the series schedule and the rubric for moving series around.

If the rubric is something simple like only the latest episodes thread will be in Gen Anime at any given time then I wouldn't have much reason to complain, other than needing to refresh TokyoTosho constantly, but if it was anything more complicated than that I think it would start to be rather unfair to casual users. If it was something like X number of days/posts reached/posts not reached and then a thread gets moved then it becomes a guessing game for anyone who isn't refreshing the boards every hour to find where the thread for episode X of anime Y is.

And some more two cents, I personally don't like the idea of taking 'Episode' out of the thread titles. Removing it inserts a small amount of ambiguity which could potentially lead to confusion. While it's not that ambiguous it's still more so than if 'Episode' was there. Acting on the assumption that potential confusion is to be avoided unless its existence is offset by gains somewhere else, what is gained by removing it to offset to the potential confusion (which I do recognize is minor)?

And as a side note is there something wrong with the official title To Aru Majutsu no Index? Personally, I think of the series by the name "To Aru..." seeing just "Index" in a thread title it didn't immediately register to me that the thread was about "To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 13". That character is barely even in the show at the moment so it feels misleading to label the threads for the show with just her name. But that's just my opinion, maybe everyone else calls it Index.

Munsu
Sun, 01-04-2009, 05:10 PM
I'd also like to toss my late game two cents in about the change to the status quo. I don't really understand the point of breaking a series up by episodes and then putting those episode threads into General Anime. It seems like it could lead to confusion on the off chance some new person stumbled onto the forums and wanted to start a thread (kind of like I suspect Series en Fuego may cause some confusion to anyone unfamiliar with Spanish who stumbles upon this English speaking forum). Unless people are aware of the connection between "Index: 13" and "Toaru Majutsu no Index" being a 'Series en Furego", which they'd also have to understand the meaning of, I think some people could start seeing the practice of making threads per episode the standard practice for any series leading to more clutter, time will tell of course, and new blood isn't exactly frequent here so maybe there's not point in worrying about it.
I'm not worried about this in the least. That's why the mods have nifty tool called "Merge Threads". New members create crappy incorrect threads all time regardless of this new system. I don't think this will be much of a problem.

That said, if the episode threads are going to be moving at 'random' (defined by when the mods get around to moving them) times from Gen Anime to SeF I don't get how that is good for discussion. Speaking as a selfish person who wants the forums to facilitate his ability to read and make posts about anime he's interested in I don't see any benefit for myself in having to potentially hunt for a thread on two different boards at the whim of the schedules of the staff and whatever rubric they come up with to decide when a thread needs to move into SeF.
Not at random. When the next episode is released and a new thread is created for that episode, the old thread will then be moved when a mod sees it. I don't think there'll be much of a problem there either. I also think that the increase of discussion more than makes up for someone to do an extra click to read another thread that contains discussion that might've not existed otherwise.
If the latest episode discussion was inside the Series en Fuego section and it's not the latest thread to be responded on, you would've needed to do that extra click to find that discussion thread. With this new system, the latest thread is conviniently placed in General Anime, and that thread will be getting most of the discussion. So when you add things up you might be making less clicks overall. Plus, it gives better exposure to series that are in the section but aren't as strong as the other, so it facillitates discussions for those... kinda like what happened with Druaga paired up with Code Geass.

I'm not trying to say that the staff are lazy or won't be able to stay on top of things but the practice institutes uncertainty. If I come onto the forums and am looking for the latest Toaru discussion where should I look first? Do I look in General Anime or do I look in SeF? With the old status quo I have no uncertainty. I know that all threads related to SeF series will be in the Sef board for as long as the series title is on the SeF Board subtitle. With the new system I would have to start guessing/assuming based on my own knowledge of the series schedule and the rubric for moving series around.
You should look first in General Anime, which you should've done so first anyways since in order to get to SeF you need to first enter General Anime.

If the rubric is something simple like only the latest episodes thread will be in Gen Anime at any given time then I wouldn't have much reason to complain, other than needing to refresh TokyoTosho constantly, but if it was anything more complicated than that I think it would start to be rather unfair to casual users. If it was something like X number of days/posts reached/posts not reached and then a thread gets moved then it becomes a guessing game for anyone who isn't refreshing the boards every hour to find where the thread for episode X of anime Y is.

The rubric is something simple like that. ONLY the latest episode discussion will be in General Anime. All other threads will be tossed inside En Fuego.

And some more two cents, I personally don't like the idea of taking 'Episode' out of the thread titles. Removing it inserts a small amount of ambiguity which could potentially lead to confusion. While it's not that ambiguous it's still more so than if 'Episode' was there. Acting on the assumption that potential confusion is to be avoided unless its existence is offset by gains somewhere else, what is gained by removing it to offset to the potential confusion (which I do recognize is minor)?
I only took it out because of the "Last Post" column problem since it has limited characters so if the episode number doesn't show up it will cause confusion as to what thread that is. I guess I can put 'ep.' instead. That should work.

And as a side note is there something wrong with the official title To Aru Majutsu no Index? Personally, I think of the series by the name "To Aru..." seeing just "Index" in a thread title it didn't immediately register to me that the thread was about "To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 13". That character is barely even in the show at the moment so it feels misleading to label the threads for the show with just her name. But that's just my opinion, maybe everyone else calls it Index.

Nothing wrong with it. As explained above it was because of the "Last Post" problem. Suggest me other alternatives that might be more representative of the series but is short enough to not mess with the "Last Post" column. The official name is simply too long. I simply put "Index" on a whim.

Just throwing some possibilities out there:

"Toaru"
"Toaru Majutsu"
"Majutsu no Index"
"Toaru Index"
"TM no Index"

I don't know. Which one you like?

Kraco
Sun, 01-04-2009, 05:18 PM
"Majutsu no Index", naturally. Because that's the folder name I've on my archive HD...

Munsu
Sun, 01-04-2009, 05:27 PM
"Majutsu no Index", naturally. Because that's the folder name I've on my archive HD...
Alright, I'm using that for now. Seems to work well.

Yukimura
Sun, 01-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the clarifications. I've never cared about the Latest Post link so I didn't consider the implications of thread titles on it.

I personally dislike "Majutsu no Index" because it drops a unique word while keeping a useless one and would make things more difficult for anyone who thinks from the beginning of the title and scans for Toaru/To Aru. The latest post length limit seems to be 32 characters but I think it always breaks on the first space before the limit is reached. "To Aru Majutsu Index Episode XX" is 31 characters and if my theory is right should fit so I'd vote for that instead. If that doesn't fit then I'd vote for "To Aru Majutsu Index Ep XX" (26 chars). My reasoning being that the 1/2 extra characters in '"o aru" or "Toaru" are much more useful for quickly identifying the series from a thread title than the " no " is.

For other series with potentially longer and/or harder to shorten names I agree trying to shorten Episode to Ep before eliminating it all together would be better, provided that adding ' Ep ' isn't still too long. If a series title just can't be shortened enough then removing it all together is of course inevitable but I would hope that such a thing would be a last resort.

Munsu
Sun, 01-04-2009, 05:55 PM
'Toaru Majutsu Index:' looks like it's fitting nicely. Let's go with that.

Kraco
Mon, 01-05-2009, 02:41 AM
I think I'm getting a glimpse of how Yuki is running things on MT... Haha.

complich8
Thu, 01-08-2009, 09:34 PM
I have no problem doing the work. If I wasn't willing to do it, I wouldn't suggest it.

And I agree with you with the exposure problem, which is why I'm looking to make it better... it's my main problem with the section.

sort of along those lines, I just enacted a small template tweak to make the "series en fuego" subforum (and other subforums) live in the same visual block as the threads. So now subforums aren't sort of off floating on their own, which I think is better.

Feedback? Further suggestions on small style tweaks?

Munsu
Thu, 01-08-2009, 09:49 PM
So the difference is that the sub-forum right now is right on top? Where as before there was some separation? It was above the "New Thread" botton and now it is under it right?

If that's the case, yeah... good change.

complich8
Thu, 01-08-2009, 09:53 PM
yeah, it was floating above "new thread" in its own little world ...

Buffalobiian
Mon, 01-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Is anybody finding that starting subtopics in the En Fuego subform turns out kind of messy? I felt at ease with having a "music release thread", "who to get fansubs from" thread, maybe even a "Hottest Babe in X" thread, but branching out on ideas like someone's main power (I'm referring to Index here) and making it a discrete discussion from the episode thread itself just feels weird. By breaking up actual Anime discussions, as opposed to the side discussions like it was in the past, it really paves the way to create threads for every power/character we'll encounter.

[WARNING: CODE GEASS SPOILERS]

For example, if Code Geass was still around, things would have turned out like:

CG Music thread
CG Fansubber - who to get?
Lelouch's Geass
Charle's Geass
C.C's real name - theories
Final pairings - who'll end up with who?
Does Nunnaly have a geass?

[END SPOILERS]

That might be a bit on the extreme, but I can see it happen. I don't visit the Bleach and One Piece forums, so if a similar system works there, I don't know.

As a conservative used to the single-threaded discussions, this seems rather disorganised (though it might seem organised). Then, when the season's over, it'll all get smashed into one thread again.

Kraco
Mon, 01-12-2009, 09:29 AM
I guess it takes some posts (posting) away from the main episode threads, but on the other hand I'm pretty sure it increases the overall post amount as well.

Munsu
Mon, 01-12-2009, 10:17 AM
The creation of various different topics that rarely are explored indepth in the single anime threads is really the main purpose. So that you see it happening is not the problem... it's something we actually want.

Many of this side discussion that occur in the single threads, once a new episode airs the topic changes to what occured in that episode instead of further exploring some of the ideas and theories.

Munsu
Wed, 01-14-2009, 02:00 PM
After a week with this new system, it seems to me that it has been a success so far. Still some small confusions here and there, and I don't think the mods have much to complain with moving the threads when necessary.

Soul Eater and Toaru Majutsu no Index are both having more active discussion, so that shows promise.

As for new series entering the En Fuego, I think I'm going to wait for a handful of episodes, maybe 4, before deciding if anything is worth moving. Looking at how the discussions are going RideBack and Druaga seem like leading candidates. Ippo has had 30 posts, but not many of it have been about discussing the plot, so it's fool's gold at the moment. Black God has yet to pick up steam, we'll see after more episodes are out. But RideBack and Druaga seem to be the leaders as far as number of members watching, overall positive feedback, and post amounts.

Sapphire
Wed, 01-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Um I'm confused. Why is a SEF series in the General Anime section when there is a board dedicated to it? Isn't that sloppy and confusing?

Munsu
Wed, 01-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Um I'm confused. Why is a SEF series in the General Anime section when there is a board dedicated to it? Isn't that sloppy and confusing?
How about reading some of the posts in this thread?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Druaga....are we going to put it in SEF now? And make a release thread like last time? Or keep it all together?

Munsu
Thu, 01-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Druaga....are we going to put it in SEF now? And make a release thread like last time? Or keep it all together?
Don't know yet.

Archangel
Sat, 02-28-2009, 06:32 PM
How about adding ToraDora to the SEF section?

It's been getting a nice amount of response from the forum and adding it might be a smart move to increase it even more

Or is the SEF section restricted to only 3 animes at a time?

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-28-2009, 06:47 PM
The current season (and Toradora with it) is almost over though, it seems a little pointless to move it over now.

Unless you are after a derivative thread? Favorite girl poll?

Archangel
Sat, 02-28-2009, 06:52 PM
A favorite couples poll would also be fun

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-28-2009, 07:42 PM
I'd say leave the SEF alone for now. Regarding the poll, bump Kraco with it. He was quite enthusiastic about that poll subforum before.

Kraco
Sun, 03-01-2009, 03:18 AM
I'd say leave the SEF alone for now. Regarding the poll, bump Kraco with it. He was quite enthusiastic about that poll subforum before.

Seems like the higher powers didn't see fit to proceed with it, so I can't do anything more about it. It was worth a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, like they say.

What comes to En Fuego, I'd deem it appropriate for reserve it for fresher shows of the season. It's true few shows will probably land there right away, but that's a price to pay about trying to gauge what belongs there. However, a show that's already nearing the end is kind of redundant to throw there.

Archangel
Tue, 03-31-2009, 12:12 PM
A new season means a whole new set of shows for this section right?

So should we start a poll with this season's new series or wait for the response of the forum after watching a couple episodes?

Munsu
Tue, 03-31-2009, 01:08 PM
A new season means a whole new set of shows for this section right?

So should we start a poll with this season's new series or wait for the response of the forum after watching a couple episodes?
Yes, there'll be new shows... but I think I'll just pick ones on a whim with input from other mods. It's easier that way. Fullmetal Alchemist will surely be in there. Other than that, wait and see how discussions go.

Archangel
Tue, 03-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Imput from the mods?

Getting the forum's opinions through a poll seems smarter

Kraco
Tue, 03-31-2009, 02:10 PM
The number of posts in different series threads pretty much equals to such a poll - or would if there was a real linear correlation. However, after a few years I can already say it's next to impossible to predict the activity of those threads, with few exceptions. I say if there was a correlation, because it's very easy to vote once in a poll. Much easier than keep posting week after week in episode threads especially if the show turns sour.

In any case there hasn't been much En Fuego activity lately. Few thread born in there, only the routine of moving the old episode threads from General Anime.

Ryllharu
Tue, 03-31-2009, 03:47 PM
I'd say keep a closer eye on the Basquash! and Valkirya threads as they seem to be getting a lot of chatter, but other than that it's anyone's guess. Then again it may potentially be "'ZOMG that was awesome,' or 'this played out totally different in the game.' " for the majority of posts in the two series respectively.

At first I would have thought that Queen's Blade would be up there given Claymore and Berserk's relative popularity here, but having seen the promos, it will probably be a little too close to straight-up hentai for the average forum goer. It looks like it would make Ikkitousen blush.

Did FMA used to have its own exclusive forum section like Gundam, Naruto, and Bleach do, or am I remembering something else?

Munsu
Tue, 03-31-2009, 05:01 PM
FMA did have his own forum section back then. I'm going to be a bit more patient this time around, and wait till at least 5 episodes are out for a given series before putting it in the section. Tales of the Abyss shouldn't have gone there instead of Toaru Majutsu no Index.

I wish though that people would make more use of the section... I created a couple of threads for Toaru that got some good discussions in my opinion, but no one took the initiative to create any more good discussion threads for that series in particular or any other in there. But then you look in the Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto sections and you see that no one cares to really create worthy discussion threads.

Anyways, when the time comes I'll ask opinions for the couple of series that I think might be worthy if I need it, no use really in discussing this at the moment. Heck, I thought Black God was a given to be in Series en Fuego before the season started.

Munsu
Fri, 04-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Considering some of the criticism from when Code Geass was moved out of the Series en Fuego, here are some options I might consider as we start moving the 3 series that just finished:

1) Merge all the threads regarding a series into one thread, and then move it to GA.

2) Merge all the episode discussion threads and other discussion topics that are not Release Info & Music threads into one thread. Move that GA. After that CLOSE the Release Info & Music threads and move them to GA, but refference them in the sticky thread that is inside SeF called Former "Series En Fuego" Series .

3) Merge all the episode discussions of a series into one thread an move it GA. Then LEAVE all other topics inside SeF (open), even though SeF will no longer be representing that particular series.

Thoughts on any of these ideas? Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Archangel
Fri, 04-03-2009, 12:56 PM
2) Merge all the episode discussion threads and other discussion topics that are not Release Info & Music threads into one thread. Move that GA. After that CLOSE the Release Info & Music threads and move them to GA, but reference them in the sticky thread that is inside SeF called Former "Series En Fuego" Series .

I'm a fan of this idea only there should be a subsection, much like the current "series en fuego", called "former series en fuego" instead of just a sticky

Somehow that would make it look more neat and tidy

Munsu
Fri, 04-03-2009, 01:01 PM
I don't want more subsections. You like option 2 more than 3?

Marik
Fri, 04-03-2009, 02:17 PM
I like option 1. Everything pertaining to that series should be together. Music releases, episode releases, discussion, and so on.

Munsu
Fri, 04-03-2009, 02:35 PM
One advantage of option 3, is that the search engine of General Anime looks inside SeF, so the threads there will be easy to find.

Kraco
Fri, 04-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Option 3 will serve best, I deem. It's not like the old side threads will live forever in En Fuego. They will disappear naturally in time, pushed down by the threads of new series, but those that have some use, like the Release thread, might still get useful updates for us anime archivers. The merged mega thread will keep the series discussion archived in GA, equal to any other series, and usable to anybody who will watch the show a year from now.

Nadouku
Fri, 04-03-2009, 02:45 PM
I agree. Option 3 seems to be a good choice because having multiple episode threads just seems untidy (take the Toaru Majutsu Index threads I've been making for example). The disadvantage would be not being able to effectively scroll back to re-read past posts, but that's a small sacrifice to make. Also, finding the episode download links, which can be nullified by having it placed on the first page with every new episode that comes out (kind of like my Akikan! thread).

Kraco
Fri, 04-03-2009, 04:03 PM
In the end we need to be thinking the bigger picture here. Not anybody can edit the first post, yet anybody could be willing to post a new release update. On the other hand, it's not really productive to have some Soul Eater thread jump onto the first page in General Anime half a year from now just because AllHailExcalibur finally finished it by then, if somebody posted the link in a new post. In En Fuego it would be no problem since the focus has anyway been moved back to GA with the latest episode threads being founded there.

It's not like we need to 100% forget a series was En Fuego after it has been finished. The main threads are simply merged and moved to General Anime, because that's where all the old discussions lie anyway, for anybody to search and find.

Ryllharu
Fri, 04-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Option 1.

Not too many members will actually read the threads over again. Discussion in general terms has long since ended, and anyone wishing to contribute will bump a thread anyway, as most necromancer posters tend to do in GA (or they make a new thread like they tend to). Obviously most users of this type tend to browse through the past pages, though I'm sure that some may potentially know how to search. Either way, the location of these threads doesn't really matter, because older members will search for it if they want to add something, and new members don't bother and make new threads anyway. Minor resurgences in activity may appear, but there's no reason for special treatment.

So then why Option 1 and not Option 2 or 3?

The Gotwoot forums are not a release/torrent site like animesuki, scarywater, tokyotosho, or Nipponsei/LonE/NEET (though the gotwoot main site is). We already have a section (http://forums.gotwoot.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11) for music, episodes, or torrents. I don't really see the reason why music and release threads for individual series really require their own threads separate from the series thread. There are plenty of sites out there that can accomplish this task, as well as a separate forum section for this material anyway.

If you really want to keep the release threads separate, just throw them into the Downloads section. They don't belong in GA.

RyougaZell
Fri, 04-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Whatever works best. Im really against thread merging, but if the merge doesn't include music threads then whatever of the 3 is fine.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-03-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm for Option 2, and after reading Ryll's idea, I wouldn't mind if release threads where thrown into the downloads section. Not that I personally check the release threads periodically myself since I tend to grab the best-quality sub that still allows me to participate in weekly discussions, but I'd imagine others would want to be informed.

While GW isn't a torrent rlease site as said, people do come here to check if their show's been released. I'd suggest to ask one of our lurkers, but they....you know.

The main reason I'm not so attracted by Option 3 is that I was never a big fan of multiple-discussion threads in the first place (probably because I'm just conservative in that regard). It does allow for multiple discussion topics to go in parallel. That would please the people who'd be put off by 3-people-discussing-1-point while another 2-fight-over-another, and 4-try-to-discuss-both, all in the one Anime Thread. I've never had that problem as long as people quote what they're addressing, but some will find this "messy".

Archangel
Mon, 06-08-2009, 01:14 PM
So, why isn't K-ON! in the En Fuego section yet?

TheBladeChild
Tue, 06-09-2009, 04:54 AM
I said that a long time ago, and got a neg rep for it.

Neg repper:"I disagree. Any slice of life show there would be a waste, there's no worthwhile conversation."

what do you guys think?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-09-2009, 05:58 AM
A bit late now I think, even if it were to go in there. Personally, I don't consider it to be on the scale of Code Geass, which was the intention.

I've always felt that the En Fuego was reserved for series that had both hype and lots of discussion potential actual discussion. As in LOTS, so much that the thread goes into the thousands.

Not that I saw a problem with that (huge threads), but really no such anime qualifies to fill the niche IMO.

Now it's about exposure and gaining popularity and discussion, rather than as a means of managing an existing one.

Never the less, while K-ON! is indeeded popular here at GW, besides the weekly "OMG, Mio <3!" and occasional character discussion, there really hasn't been much to talk about. Discussion-wise, there's been plenty of older anime threads of this caliber in the past. It's not that special.

Maybe I'm just setting the standards for En Fuego too high. Or I've misunderstood / (refuse to accept the meaning of ) the En Fuego subforum. I dunno.

----------------------------------

Thanks to whoever taught me how to spell "Fuego" correctly. (Former spelt Feugo).
I've been doing that since forever, and would have for much longer. It makes me happy since I try to spell my words correctly.

Archangel
Wed, 06-10-2009, 01:09 PM
&#205; just go by the number of avatars and sigs an anime gets to see if it's fuego material or not :p

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-11-2009, 04:55 AM
&#205; just go by the number of avatars and sigs an anime gets to see if it's fuego material or not :p

I still stand by what I've said earlier, that current En Fuego shows aren't gaining the level of discussion that warrants the need to be organised using that method.[1]

However, looking at the statistics, I must say, I might just have to review my belief that the En Fuego doesn't encourage discussion. Of course, these two shows (Soul Eater, Index) might just be worthy discussion material to start off with.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2976/81085342.jpg

[1] This statement is referring more to my second paragraph rather than as a response to Archie's post. Actually, I'm not sure why I quoted Archie's post since I'm not replying to it at all....meh.

Kraco
Thu, 06-11-2009, 07:36 AM
It seems to me like one or two series should have been promoted there, just to justify more the subforum's existence. Right now it indeed seems to have become, intentionally or not, a place for hyped series only as no moves were made to get more series there in addition to FMA2. Although maybe that was only due to Bud's recent period of seemingly low activity. But it can't be denied En Fuego will make itself useless if series are already finished before they have earned their place there...

Archangel
Thu, 06-11-2009, 07:55 AM
It seems to me like one or two series should have been promoted there, just to justify more the subforum's existence. But it can't be denied En Fuego will make itself useless if series are already finished before they have earned their place there...

Exactly my point, now if only i wasn't lazy to write it myself

The way i see it either you give K-ON! a place in the sunlight or we scrap the En Fuego section entirely, since it has almost as many posts as FMA:B

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-11-2009, 08:30 AM
It seems to me like one or two series should have been promoted there, just to justify more the subforum's existence.

If it's worded like this, then I suppose my main issue with the En Fuego system is "If we have to move an ambiguously deserving thread into the subforum simply to justify the subforum's existence, then it is ambiguous as to whether that subforum should exist at all."

To me, the intention was:

"The En Fuego section was created because there were threads that needed it."
Something exists for a reason.

Now it's:

"En Fuego Threads need to be created there because the En Fuego section needs them (to give it a reason to exist)."
Now, that "something" is looking for a reason to exist.

Munsu
Thu, 06-11-2009, 09:56 AM
It seems to me like one or two series should have been promoted there, just to justify more the subforum's existence. Right now it indeed seems to have become, intentionally or not, a place for hyped series only as no moves were made to get more series there in addition to FMA2. Although maybe that was only due to Bud's recent period of seemingly low activity. But it can't be denied En Fuego will make itself useless if series are already finished before they have earned their place there...
Yeah, I think this is due to Bud's low activity myself. Haven't had the time to watch any anime in recent months. Hopefully during the summer I can catch up on a few.

Moving K-ON! for 3 episodes is ridiculous. And I don't know where you're getting that it has as many posts as FMA Archangel, considering that FMA has around 294 posts and K-ON! has 188 in just about the same amount of episodes.

K-ON! could've made it regardless, but it's a little too late.

As for scratching the En Fuego sytem altogether, well I would have no problems with it. A bit disappointing that posters here couldn't really give it the appropiate use. There's little creativity here when discussing series, no one comes up with good topics of discussions. So, that being the case it makes the category pretty much pointless. I created a couple decent discussion threads for Index, but NO ONE here could come up with anything else? Come on, and it was a pretty popular series here to boot. But if no one is going to give it the use, then why have it?

Same shit with Soul Eater, and now with FMA.

But I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. Other than the spam posts of docdan, One Piece didn't get much discussion threads. Bleach only hasn't seen a discussion thread in like 200 episodes. Naruto gets some, but quality is not to be found there.

Archangel
Thu, 06-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Moving K-ON! for 3 episodes is ridiculous. And I don't know where you're getting that it has as many posts as FMA Archangel, considering that FMA has around 294 posts and K-ON! has 188 in just about the same amount of episodes.

K-ON! could've made it regardless, but it's a little too late.

But I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. Other than the spam posts of docdan, One Piece didn't get much discussion threads. Bleach only hasn't seen a discussion thread in like 200 episodes. Naruto gets some, but quality is not to be found there.

Just like with Toradora and Clannad, we only realize that a series is in fuego when it's too late.

Why not set some rules if we're to keep the section? Like if the first 3 eps gather over 50-100 posts it should be moved automatically or something like that.

I didn't really count all the posts, just some 5 second math using the average of the posts from FMA. Sorry about that.

Well the thing is that if anyone has something they want to discuss they almost always use the most recent episode thread they can find.

Ryllharu
Thu, 06-11-2009, 03:11 PM
I see no problem with scrapping the section, and reviving it when we need it, aside from however much work that involves of the admins.

It was useful for the few series it served, and it also functioned as a decent experiement, but largely it is only ideal for very popular series where the viewing community is greatly divided between speedsubs and a quality version, or some other reason to stagger episode threads.

FMA:B probably doesn't even need it. It should have been used for a thread about something like "How does the new series compare to the old?" like the Naruto Manga/Open section functions, but that hasn't happened yet.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-11-2009, 09:36 PM
I see no problem with scrapping the section, and reviving it when we need it, aside from however much work that involves of the admins.

It was useful for the few series it served, and it also functioned as a decent experiement, but largely it is only ideal for very popular series where the viewing community is greatly divided between speedsubs and a quality version, or some other reason to stagger episode threads.

FMA:B probably doesn't even need it. It should have been used for a thread about something like "How does the new series compare to the old?" like the Naruto Manga/Open section functions, but that hasn't happened yet.

I'm with Ryll here.

As for the work involved in hiding the section, it would be a simple permission change wouldn't it? Much like how the Pit isn't viewable to non-members, and the Moderator's section is hidden from non-mods.

complich8
Sun, 06-14-2009, 02:11 PM
would be fairly easy to implement hiding it, yes.

Sometimes, there's just nothing en fuego.

But I'm gonna agree with Bud too. If you want to see a series get talked about, the only way you'll get your wish is by talking about it yourself and luring other people in.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 06-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Who thinks Cross Game could do with a trip to the En Fuego section?

From the looks of things, viewers are split evenly (correct me if that's otherwise) between Subsmith and Central Anime subs, and hence avoid reading due to potential spoilers.

I think that in itself qualifies it for the convenience and benefit of posters. We're still early into the series (12 of 51eps), giving us plenty of time to see how it works out.

It's not to say we'll get a guaranteed increase in post count, but if some people are finding the current system a deterrent to post, it's worth a shot.

Xrlderek
Mon, 07-13-2009, 09:24 AM
I think Umineko no Naku Koro ni could be worthy of the section. It seems like it has picked up some viewers here. Also, the genre is mystery so there could potentially be a lot of speculative discussion.

Munsu
Mon, 07-13-2009, 02:56 PM
I think Umineko no Naku Koro ni could be worthy of the section. It seems like it has picked up some viewers here. Also, the genre is mystery so there could potentially be a lot of speculative discussion.
We'll see... give it 1 or 2 more episodes.

RyougaZell
Fri, 10-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Seeing as Toaru Majustu no Index was a Serie en Fuego... will Toaru Kagaku no Railgun follow the same path?

Darker than Black 2?

Fairy Tail?

Munsu
Fri, 10-02-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm pretty sure FMA will be the last one, and then we're going to close SeF. It's really not worth it.

RyougaZell
Fri, 10-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Thats a shame really. It was a nice idea. To be fair, it hasn't had much movement lately because the discussions take place on the general board now. But still... FMA will take some time to end anyway.

Oh well.

Kraco
Sat, 10-03-2009, 01:16 AM
As sad as it is to say it aloud but it seems to me we don't have anymore the number of active (anime watching) users it would take to keep a system like en Fuego appropriately running.

Archangel
Sat, 10-03-2009, 05:48 AM
As sad as it is to say it aloud but it seems to me we don't have anymore the number of active (anime watching) users it would take to keep a system like en Fuego appropriately running.

More like this season just wasn't good enough to keep the usual members interested

Archangel
Sun, 10-04-2009, 06:23 PM
How about just getting rid of the section right now?

Personally i enjoy having all the episodes in one thread since it allows me to know when the next episode is already out