PDA

View Full Version : Editing a post should serve as a bump

Animeniax
Thu, 04-10-2008, 03:09 PM
If I'm the last poster in a thread and it sits idle for a while but then I want to go back and add to the thread, my choices are to post a new message and risk getting warned for double-posting or just to edit that last post. But by editing it, the thread is not bumped so no one will ever see what I edited. If it was important enough to edit, I think it deserves to be seen instead of letting the thread disappear into gotwoot history.

Can you make it where editing the last post in a thread bumps it to the top of the heap?

Munsu
Thu, 04-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Don't think it's possible with this software, used to be with the old one (I preffer how it is currently).

As long as you have something of interest to add, and somewhat a decent amount of time has passed, I've always overlooked double posting...

I mean, if just one hour or one day has passed... then I think the double post is not warranted (unless you're announcing a release or some other useful info). I think two or three days should be enough to double post if you think you have something of value to add that may be of interest to other people.

In my opinion, for the most part, if the double post is in order to extend your argument, then I don't think it's warranted of needed. But if the double post was used because you found some sort of news, interesting article, or release that should be of interest to the rest of the members, then I've always looked the other way. In fact, I would go as far to say that I would exhort people to double post when things of this nature occur. Also, if you post in an anime thread for example... no one responds, and there's a new episode that you want to discuss even though no one responded to your last post, I would also look the other way. I know that I do it all the time, and I'm still around...

Archangel
Fri, 04-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Hmm well then when adding stuff to my art thread is it acceptable for me to double post if lets say 2-3 days have passed?

By only editing it's hard for people to realize that i've actually added anything so maibe you could bend the rules just a litle bit on the art forum?

Munsu
Fri, 04-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Hmm well then when adding stuff to my art thread is it acceptable for me to double post if lets say 2-3 days have passed?

By only editing it's hard for people to realize that i've actually added anything so maibe you could bend the rules just a litle bit on the art forum?
No, I'm sure you'll abuse it... you get no special treatment. This is not up for discussion so don't even try.

Maybe a week, and only a double post... no more than that.

Archangel
Fri, 04-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Yeah i probably would... :D

But after about 1-2 weeks it's ok to anyone to double post on a forum as long as they have something meaningful to add right?

Munsu
Fri, 04-11-2008, 11:24 AM
I would say that's accurate... but meaningful is quite subjective.

Archangel
Fri, 04-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Well in context, a meaningful addition would be everytime i finish one of my drawings or one of my sigs wouldn't it?

I would just keep editing but after about a week i'd double post so people would be aware of the updates.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-13-2008, 12:24 PM
I have not had any problems with it. If I need to bump because a new episode is released or whatever, it's fine. I'm not always comfortable doing it, but as long as it's relevant, you won't end up being warned for it.

Have a little more faith in our mods, they earned their positions for a reason.

If you need to change something in a long epic post that utterly changes the content, make an obvious section with "EDIT: " and maybe even actually use the "Reason for Editing" box in the Advanced view. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who uses that. In that case though, you should still have to wait until you have a relevant reason to bump it with a real double post. That has always meant an episode release to me, or maybe a huge press release like the announcement of a sequel.

[B]Nothing else warrants double posting.

You can always quote yourself in a later post if you think no one noticed your "important" comment that was inside your edit.

EDIT: As for your art thread, make a double post after you create a large enough amount of material to actually warrant a second post (as if someone else had posted the same).