PDA

View Full Version : Kurenai

Munsu
Thu, 04-10-2008, 12:59 PM
First episode of Kurenai released by BSS:
http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=5595
http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=5610

I liked the first episode, though I think the characters are somewhat weak. It seems to me that the series has some shoujo/josei tendencies, and I think that's what putting me off. But at the same time it seems to have some shounen-harem tendencies... That aside, the action scenes look well animated so I'll keep watching for the time being. So far it seems like a Aishiteruze Baby with action.

Talking about animation, this is being animated by Brains Base, and I'm quite enjoying what they've been doing lately. Plot aside, I really enjoy how they animate the characters and action sequences... some series of note: Baccano!, Ayakashi Ayashi, Juuousei, Kikoushi Enma, and Innocent Venus.

Based on a light novel series by Katayama Kentarou, illustrated by Yamamoto Yamato.

Based on a series of light novels, Kure-nai is about the adventures and misadventures of 16-year-old Shintaro Kurenai. Shintaro is an authority in settling disputes between people, and is one day approached by Murasaki Kuhouin, the daughter of a powerful plutocratic family, asking him to be her bodyguard.

http://www.samidareso.com/
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=5535
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=8518

animus
Thu, 04-10-2008, 01:48 PM
I was under the impression that Murasaki would be way more bratty and annoying, and I'm glad that hasn't been the case. She actually kinda makes my heart melt.

Munsu
Sun, 04-13-2008, 12:44 AM
Well, here's episode 2... hopefully it'll be a good one with some good amount of action:
http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=5724

Yukimura
Sun, 04-13-2008, 01:18 AM
Kure-nai - 02 (704x400 h264) - [BSS] (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=5725)

In other news this show is awesome so far, I found myself laughing quite a bit at the beginning with the light hearted stuff, but then they abruptly tossed a darker element I hadn't sen coming at all. This dark element gives the story somewhere interesting to go once the "omg the little girl is so cute an innocent" angle wears thin.

Also the animation and voice acting are doing a good job of making the characters believable and compelling. I'm very glad I decided to check this one out it, if it keeps up like this it may make my favorites list.

Munsu
Sun, 04-13-2008, 01:29 AM
Well, this certainly was a great episode in my opinion... the dialogue is fast and quite good, and the action scene at the end of the episode I thought it was well done. Murasaki is quite awesome.

By the way, what do you think he has on his arm? Any good theories? And as said above, the VAs for this series have been quite good... but I have to say that a lot of the credit has to go to the writers and directors because the dialogue lines have been quite good, with the amount of quick lines and back-and-forth between the characters.

animus
Sun, 04-13-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm really liking this series. A good mix of slice of life, with a bit of dark intrigue.

edit: Next episode also looks to be an interesting one.

Kraco
Sun, 04-13-2008, 03:27 PM
During the first ep I was thinking Murasaki seems too mature for such a little girl, but now with this second episode I realise she just couldn't relax and be herself yet. I'm very happy she now acts her age (and reminds me of Aishiteru ze Baby, only in a darker way).

This looks better and better. And I get the impression Kurenai has some weird symbiote as his right arm. It seems to disfigure from time to time, gets excited on its own, and he speaks to it.

animus
Sun, 04-13-2008, 03:34 PM
It probably happened in that accident where his parents died. All we see during those flashbacks are him grasping at something with his left arm, whereas his right arm probably could've been crushed and had whatever happened to it then.

Kraco
Sun, 04-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Slice of life and slicing life:

Episode 3 HD - BSS (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=5978)
Episode 3 SD - BSS (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=5979)

animus
Sun, 04-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Wow, I would've hit Shinkurou and spit in his hair too if he was such a fucking wuss like that.

Kraco
Mon, 04-21-2008, 02:43 AM
That was a strange scene. It would have clearly been enough if he had just fetched Murasaki away from there. The whole apologising and bowing part seemed useless extra. While this is certainly not the first time I've seen such scenes in anime/manga, and it's somehow a part of the culture, I can't really see what purpose it served, especially in front of some random punks. The lesson to the little girl should have been to stay away from such folk and not to cause extra trouble, but I'm far from sure losing your own pride appropriately taught such a lesson...

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Thats not the point. The whole thing tried to develop Shinkurou as a character, showing what kind of life he has led, and what it had made him to be, in this case, someone who sacrifices pride to avoid trouble. If he didn't apologize, a fight would have ensued considering the situation. Its not a good thing necessarily, but that is who he is.

Kraco
Mon, 04-21-2008, 11:38 AM
So, you are saying he just plainly sucks and likes to suck? Well, I guess that's the simplest explanation, and simplest explanations are usually the most beautiful ones, but not in this case... It's always bothersome when the main character sucks. It was said he's the kind of simple guy who becomes very happy when he's complimented, so I guess evidence does support the claim he's a sucker, but I'd still want to retain some small hope he was just trying to teach Murasaki a lesson. It wouldn't be the first time such a method has been used to teach a lesson in anime.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-21-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm not sure how you interpreted my post as him simply sucking, but that is not what I meant. I attributed this quality to his past, which has made him what he is now. If you notice, he has a certain lack of concern about his own well being, especially when it comes to doing his job (in this case, keeping Murasaki out of harms way). This pride issue is simply a part of that. I'm sure it will be elaborated on later.

About him teaching Murasaki a lesson, while it is possible, from his facial expression I kind of doubt it.

Death13a
Mon, 04-21-2008, 10:05 PM
He probably didn't wanted any fighting because it could involve many people. So he took most safest rout to end confrontation. i think he can only beat people senseless keeping back only just enough not to kill or being split on, he doesn't know moderation.

Kraco
Tue, 04-22-2008, 02:42 AM
I still disagree. He could have simply called Murasaki back, or if she had disobeyed, gone there and drag her away (with a one word apology, perhaps). It didn't look to me like even those punks much enjoyed the confrontation with a loser Shinkurou. So, if he had removed Murasaki right away, I bet with 90% certainty the punks would have forgotten the whole thing ever happened. So, the bowing and apologising part did nothing but lenghten the whole process that nobody was enjoying.

If he was not a loser with no pride, he could have ended it quickly and with style, but since he's a sucker with zero pride, he felt like he needed to affirm having no pride by doing what he did, with the spitting, accepting a hit, and everything. Or he was teaching Murasaki a lesson. This isn't easy enough a series to learn an absolute answer so simply, though.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-22-2008, 03:49 AM
90 percent certainty based on what? He was calling Murasaki back to no avail. Indeed it was his fault he did not stop her before it got worse, but that precedes the issue of him apologizing after the fact. Murasaki had already said very insulting things to the punks, so I doubt they would simply ignore her at that point. If he just took Murasaki and turned around, the punks will probably grab him back and fight with him. At least that is what I think.

Unfortunately, there is no sure way to tell how the punks would have reacted because it never happened. This being the case, we can't really be sure if Shinkurou did the right thing or not.

I do agree that Shinkurou is not a saint, or the typical admirable character, but neither is he a loser with no pride that you make him out to be. It is just that his values differ from the usual, but it was still an act with consideration to the situation. I personally believe that this gives depth to his character and makes him a bit more interesting, but this is a point of preference.

Kraco
Tue, 04-22-2008, 04:42 AM
As far as I remember that scene anymore, he was just stupidly sitting in his chair, looking at Murasaki give a lecture to the punks as if it had nothing to do with him. Now, what the hell was he even thinking at that point? He was hired to take care of her in the first place, so why didn't he go after her the first moment he noticed she started to badmouth some violent punks? The punks themselves didn't want to argue with a little kid, if you have a relook at the scene. If at that point Shinkurou had quickly fetched her away, nothing would have happened. Things started to get bad because he went in so late that one of the dudes (or two already? I don't remember) was already standing.

You know, if you show a dog you are afraid, it will only encourage the dog to become even more bold. If he had just coolly walked there, grabbed the girl and said "sorry about that" and walked away when the punks were still just being annoyed and surprised by being lectured by a little kid, they would have likely just forgotten it ever happened. That's what I meant with the 90%. But he went there like a weakling and started that whole submissive apologetic behavior that served little purpose.

I don't know. Maybe he has some problems because his work oft includes beating people up. Maybe he feels he needs to be roughed up himself, sometimes, to retain his karma or something. If it's like that, he should just drop the kind of work he's doing because it'll only get worse for him before long. It would likely make him an alcoholic sooner or later, so that he could forget what he's doing.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-22-2008, 05:50 AM
I agree with the first paragraph. Like I said in the last post, he really did come in late. All of it could have been avoided had he intervened earlier.

But the apologetic behavior is necessitated by the already aggravated situation. If he acted as you described when the two punks were already standing, a fight would have ensued (which is probably what he wanted to avoid the most). At that point, such an apology was necessary to avoid further conflict.

These two acts should be seen as separate. While he is at fault for the first one, the second one is simply a matter of choice. To fight, or to swallow your pride and avoid it. He doesn't really care about the punks or their future actions (that is simply the type of character he is), and neither does he care about playing hero (as seen from his attitude with the old lady). It is not a matter of his desire to be punished for his type of work, but rather the apathetic attitude that he has gained because of it (this is what I was trying to say about his past). He has probably had a lot happen to him that forced him to ignore personal pride for something else, something more valuable to him.

I am not saying I agree with his attitude, just that with his objective, that apology is probably the best way to achieve it at that time.

animus
Tue, 04-22-2008, 08:01 AM
The apology might've been right, but taking a hit from a bunch of punks and them spitting your hair is another issue I couldn't take.

Munsu
Sat, 04-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Here's episode 4:
http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=6176

Kraco
Sat, 04-26-2008, 05:37 PM
So, the arm is equipped with some sort of a horn. Although just seeing the physical appearance itself doesn't really reveal that much. It seems to originate from the dojo, though, and the dojo belong as well to people of somewhat shady backgrounds, if I understood it correctly when the girl (was her name Yuuno? I haven't yet memorized all the names) was talking to Murasaki. She assumed Murasaki, also being from syndicate backgrounds, would know her family. Well, all useless details, of course. But maybe the next ep will reveal something as the preview suggested they might be visiting the very dojo.

Murasaki is a pretty strong girl already. Perhaps too strong for her own good as it affects her judgement somewhat. But if anything this incident should have been quite a lesson, and it indeed seemed to be.

Bloody Kurenai is still apologizing far too much.

Munsu
Sun, 04-27-2008, 02:20 AM
Yeah, Yuuno made it known that her family name should be one to be recognized... I wonder if all the Houzeki's have the horn, or if it's special to Shinkuro. It's quite cool to know that Yuuno herself should be able to kick some ass. It's interesting that Murasaki didn't suffer any injuries, or at the least it seems like she healed rather quickly... maybe there's some sort of plot point there.

Munsu
Mon, 05-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Here's episode 5:
http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=6548

animus
Mon, 05-05-2008, 11:32 AM
I guess it's clear that creepy dike that always follows Murasaki around's a carpet muncher or just really lonely.

Yukimura
Tue, 05-06-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm thinking it's both.

Anyway, typical Murasaki, breaking other peoples stuff then blaming the stuff for not being stronger. Yuuno being a martial artist/murder weapon really doesn't fit her, though the conflict it represents does shed some light on why she seems so withdrawn and disturbed all the time.

Hopefully her self-loathing isn't stronger than Ginko's since I'd rather she end up with Shinkuro in the end instead.

Munsu
Tue, 05-06-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm thinking it's both.

Anyway, typical Murasaki, breaking other peoples stuff then blaming the stuff for not being stronger. Yuuno being a martial artist/murder weapon really doesn't fit her, though the conflict it represents does shed some light on why she seems so withdrawn and disturbed all the time.

Hopefully her self-loathing isn't stronger than Ginko's since I'd rather she end up with Shinkuro in the end instead.
Yeah, I like Yuuno more than Ginko (I assume she's the geek)... she's quite kickass. I wonder if she wearing black belt and Shinkuro a white one really means anything in regards with their level of skill in the art.

Murasaki breaking the toys and making the little shit cry was hilarious to me.

Yukimura
Tue, 05-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Sorry I guess that was confusing. I'm pulling for Ginko as I prefer her to Yuuno. I think the girl with more issues and self-hate is the one that will end up with Shinkuro (if anyone is to end up with him at all). Ginko's a computer nerd meganekko with PTSD I don't really have a choice but to like her more.

Munsu
Tue, 05-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Bah, Ginko has nothing on Yuuno. She has shown zero personality, has had a foul personality so far, and certainly not as attractive. Yuuno so far has he beat in pretty much every category, better looking, better personality, more kickass... I don't know what you find in Ginko, since she's such an unlikable character so far. She does nothing than bitch and moan around meaningless things.

Yukimura
Tue, 05-13-2008, 11:44 AM
That's why I like her, she is supremely disturbed emotionally emo yet she's upfront about it and doesn't care that she wears it around like an accessory, plus she's a computer whiz, plus she's a meganekko.

Yuuno, on the other hand is also fairly emotionally disturbed ( Boo hoo, I'm so depressed, I'm from a wealthy family of killers and I have crazy ninja fighting skills and I never had to worry about getting raped by street thugs or held captive at gun point by terrorists. My life is so miserable ) yet she puts up a false front of being cool and collected on the surface. Yuuno is certainly more attractive physically with her hair and body type, however her surface personality comes across as fake and that is more unattractive to me than a genuine personality that is somewhat unpleasant.

When I look at Yuuno I see Lana, when I look at Ginko I see Chloe. And when I think about which one I would rather see happy, the choice is clear.

Kraco
Tue, 05-13-2008, 12:05 PM
I don't think Yuuno's dilemma is quite that straightforward. There really aren't honourable assassins anymore these days. She belongs to a world of yesterday, and is surrounded by the world of today at school. It's no wonder she can't feel happy about the situation and even envies those normal people who aren't something as dubious as killers. That's not really something you can talk about with others. Plus, the more time she spends with normal people, the weirder and isolated she will ultimately feel about herself. In that sense I think she is just as honest and genuine as she can be in that position.

Munsu
Tue, 05-13-2008, 12:07 PM
The problem is your reasoning is that Ginko is just as much a fake as Yuuno. The simple fact that she shows indifference and acts as unpleasant as she does is evidence enough of how fake she is. She's certainly in just as much denial of who she is and her feelings as Yuuno is. The difference is that Yuuno is not a complete bitch about it.

Everon
Tue, 05-13-2008, 02:07 PM
I don't think Yuuno is disturbed at all -- just love stricken with Shinkuro.

She may have come from a house of killers, but her attitude indicates she is mature enough to accept her family history. She doesn't necessarily like it, but it seems to have given her a straightforward personality -- her way of showing that the past doesn't control her.

Yukimura
Tue, 05-13-2008, 04:23 PM
It's that outward confidence that turns me off to Yuuno. Dealing with your issues and putting on a good face in public is an excellent trait for a person, but I'm more interested in characters with chips on their shoulders who act according to whatever they're feeling. With Ginko I see her dealing with emotions that she's not fully comfortable with and the conflict is obvious in her behavior and I like seeing that as well as the fact that she doesn't seem to try and hide the side-effects her emotions have on her.

Yuuno is also dealing with emotions she's not fully comfortable with (feelings for Shinkuro + guilt over family) but she tends to hide the side-effects of the conflict and thus is not as appealing to me. When she opened up to Shinkuro and revealed her inner turmoil her stock jumped a bit, but she still seemed quite in control as compared to Ginko who doesn't seem to have a clue.

Now that Yuuno has admitted her misgivings to Shinkuro though she may become more likable

Ryllharu
Tue, 05-13-2008, 05:40 PM
To me, it's far more like Ginko comes off genuine and Yuuno oozes "fake." They are both lying in a way, but Ginko has entered this world to stick closely to Shinkuro while Yuuno acts more like she has some sort of claim on him because she taught him all these things.

They both keep all their real emotions shut away, but Ginko comes off concerned or caring (though you'd never see her show it) while Yuuno inserts herself in all of Shinkuro's business because she has power over him.

-----------------------

Just picked this up a few days ago (obviously). Benika is very interesting. She reminds me a great deal of Balalaika from Black Lagoon, but more devious than ruthless. I'd like to know a lot more about this power struggle she seems to be having with the Kuhoin's. She seems to wield enormous power in the underground, but strangely, some people know of her and several people (specifically in the Kuhoin) have no idea who she is.

I also enjoy how Murasaki talks like an old woman. Some of the characters view her as very mature because of it (like the baths lady), and others look at her strangely.

animus
Tue, 05-13-2008, 05:51 PM
I kinda like Yuuno, I guess just for the fact that I like the onee-san/motherly type.

But man, episode 6 needs to get subbed.

Kraco
Wed, 05-14-2008, 02:31 AM
To me, it's far more like Ginko comes off genuine and Yuuno oozes "fake." They are both lying in a way, but Ginko has entered this world to stick closely to Shinkuro while Yuuno acts more like she has some sort of claim on him because she taught him all these things.

They both keep all their real emotions shut away, but Ginko comes off concerned or caring (though you'd never see her show it) while Yuuno inserts herself in all of Shinkuro's business because she has power over him.

Shinkuro grew up in the same house as Yuuno, and I think it's pretty natural for Yuuno to take a caring role when an orphan is suddenly included in the household. And when they spent years in such a relationship, it's more likely than not that Yuuno might tend to deal with Shinkuro like his business is hers as well. At the same time she might indeed have invested in Shinkuro her own future plans and dreams, because he was an outsider yet an insider at the same time. He would be a safe partner for her.

I mean, one reason would be that any regular guy might hesitate to marry and live with an assassin. If not for the fear of getting eliminated himself but because the cops might come to knock the door any day. Cops or worse. The other choices would be to hide everything from her husband, but that would be living in a lie and obvious she doesn't like it, and the other choice would be to marry some random gangster, which obviously has huge risks. So, I don't view it as any surprise if she really acts like Shinkuro belongs to her...

But man, episode 6 needs to get subbed.

Ask and you shall receive. It seems.

Episode 6 - BSS (http://e.coli.kamosuzo.net/download.php/194/%5BBSS%5D%20kurenai%20-%2006%20%5B1280x720%20h264%5D%5B0356526F%5D.mkv.to rrent)

animus
Wed, 05-14-2008, 07:44 AM
I really liked this episode, I thought all the humour was in quite good taste.

Though, it did feel quite derailed from a central plot line.

Kraco
Wed, 05-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Half-way through the ep I was already wondering what kind of weed I had smoked by accident or what strange mushroom my soup had contained, so witless this episode proved to be. But it's safe to say, at the very least, the creators of this anime are fans of musicals...

Yuuno was pretty funny, though. She really likes skinship!

Yukimura
Wed, 05-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Seems BSS is switching to ordered chapters. Now that I've found out that OC works even if you change the file names I have no problem with this at all.

Kurenai OP (1280x720) - [BSS] (http://e.coli.kamosuzo.net/download.php/195/%5BBSS%5D%20kurenai%20-%20OP%20%5B1280x720%20h264%5D%5B01B79B1B%5D.mkv.to rrent)
Kurenai ED (1280x720) - [BSS] (http://kamosuzo.net/%5BBSS%5D_kurenai_-_ED_%5B1280x720_h264%5D%5BFEB4ACDC%5D.mkv)

Batch torrent of 1-5 without OP/ED to come later.

Kraco
Wed, 05-14-2008, 12:47 PM
So, that's how it is. I was already wondering why it didn't have an ED...

Yukimura
Thu, 05-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Okay, Ginko gets props for being the only cast member not to inhale when the cast passed around the LSD infused peyote pipe before this ep started.

Munsu
Thu, 05-15-2008, 09:48 PM
She was a party pooper.

Munsu
Mon, 05-19-2008, 10:14 PM
7 Fuckers:
http://e.coli.kamosuzo.net/download.php/205/%5BBSS%5D%20kurenai%20-%2007%20%5B1280x720%20h264%5D%5B3B33FB27%5D.mkv.to rrent

Kraco
Mon, 05-26-2008, 02:14 AM
Liondogs, ever watchful:

Episode 8 HD - BSS (http://e.coli.kamosuzo.net/download.php/213/%5BBSS%5D%20kurenai%20-%2008%20%5B1280x720%20h264%5D%5BC802EAB2%5D.mkv.to rrent)
Episode 8 SD - BSS (http://e.coli.kamosuzo.net/download.php/214/%5BBSS%5D%20kurenai%20-%2008%20%5B704x400%20h264%5D%5BF078B4F2%5D.mkv.tor rent)

ED2 HD - BSS (http://e.coli.kamosuzo.net/download.php/215/%5BBSS%5D%20kurenai%20-%20ED%202%20%5B1280x720%20h264%5D%5B724F14D7%5D.mk v.torrent)
ED2 SD - BSS (http://e.coli.kamosuzo.net/download.php/216/%5BBSS%5D%20kurenai%20-%20ED%202%20%5B704x400%20h264%5D%5BA2DB8453%5D.mkv .torrent)

Munsu
Mon, 05-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Alright episode, we get a bit more into the Kuhoin family... but other than that, didn't enjoy the episode all that much in comparison to the previous ones, though the character interactions are still enough to carry the weight for me to enjoy the episode. I miss the action, and it looks like we'll get some next episode.

Kraco
Mon, 05-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Alright episode otherwise, but why the hell didn't Shinkuro fight those crooks? He should have been easily able to kick their asses but he chose to play the part of a punching bag. Why, oh why? Why must he suck? Murasaki doesn't suck, so why must Shinkuro suck to ruin the series? I hope Yuuno will help him remember what balls stand for...

Everon
Thu, 05-29-2008, 01:26 PM
What are you talking about? Shinkuro for the most part has been a punching bag the entire series. Watch the previous fight scenes with him and you'll see he's always sluggish at the beginning of his fights. It takes him a bit to get moving.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-29-2008, 01:33 PM
I think Kraco is referring to the entire series with his comment.

However, I still disagree that his attitude ruins the series. If anything, I believe it does the series good, deepening the main character instead of going for the easily likable cool type.

Kraco
Thu, 05-29-2008, 01:58 PM
However, I still disagree that his attitude ruins the series. If anything, I believe it does the series good, deepening the main character instead of going for the easily likable cool type.

Unfortunately those "deep" characters dwell in 11 series out of 12. Besides I don't believe in characters (real or fictional) that can fight yet can't. Shinkuro apparently spent lots of time training martial arts when he was still living at Yuuno's home. What use are those martial arts if some random hirelings with the skills of regular bar fighters can kick his ass as much as they want? Not only it is unrealistic but it seems poor script writing. If he can't fight to save his life, then don't give him martial arts skills, for buddha's sake. Make him a bloody scholar or something.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-29-2008, 02:18 PM
He was surprised at that point. I think he is quite hesitant to use his "supernatural" powers, which makes it doubtful he will instinctively use it when he is unexpectedly put in a critical situation. If he was more prepared, I bet he would have kicked the asses of those bastards.

11 out of 12? I highly doubt that. I don't think those "random hirelings" are as weak as you make them sound. They probably have undertaken martial arts training as well. Its just that Shinkurou was not able to use his "special skill" against them, whatever it is. Still, I understand your point, and what you want to see, so we are not in total disagreement.

Yukimura
Thu, 05-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Massive cuteness from Murasaki plus kimono plus makeup very good stuff, props to Murasaki. Providing aforementioned makeup plus giant hat from Yamie also good so props to her.

Murasaki's dad is apparently insane so he sucks and Shinkuro sucks for being such a worthless pushover in fights that clearly concern the safety of his charge. Look at how he spared against Yuuno vs his actions against the thugs, the difference is laughable. Unless he gets a PTSD cop out soon I don't think his reputation in my eyes is ever going to improve. I can't really blame him for not figuring out that the Kuhoin's were a powerful family full of whack jobs who have a tradition of pretend their female children don't exist but he should have immediately suspected something weird was going on instead of doubting poor innocent Murasaki.

Everon
Fri, 05-30-2008, 11:04 PM
I can't really blame him for not figuring out that the Kuhoin's were a powerful family full of whack jobs who have a tradition of pretend their female children don't exist but he should have immediately suspected something weird was going on instead of doubting poor innocent Murasaki.

Based on the information at hand, they didn't know what to think. Ginko basically brought him to that train of thought -- that Murasaki might of been lying, but not realized it.

Munsu
Sat, 05-31-2008, 10:37 AM
9:
http://e.coli.kamosuzo.net/download.php/221/%5BBSS%5D%20kurenai%20-%2009%20%5B1280x720%20h264%5D%5BECEC6FBB%5D.mkv.to rrent

Kraco
Sat, 05-31-2008, 11:56 AM
If even after this episode shinta|hikari likes Shinkuro's character, I'll be honestly amazed. The guy sucks so much he could put Hoover out of the market. It's incomprehensible how he first insist they go back to the old apartment and then when the Kuhoins come - big surprise there - he totally fails to put up any manner of resistance to protect Murasaki. Quite the contrary, in fact: He managed to force Murasaki to crumble back to her sad pre-liberation state in order to protect him!

I always used to think Evangelion's Shinji is the biggest loser in the history of anime but he's a brave hero compared to this guy. The fucker better either truly redeem himself starting from the next ep or alternatively die. Either choice would satisfy me.

animus
Sat, 05-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Can't really blame Shinkurou for failing. Even Yayoi got her ass kicked from Lee Chenshin.

Kraco
Sat, 05-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Can't blame? Give me a break. I'd have fought better than that bloody piece of shit, and I have practically no melee training aside from the little the military training gave. And this guy is supposed to have trained for years at Yuuno's home, and furthermore has that strange blade inside his arm. He lost purposefully.

He wanted to lose. Don't ask me why, but since we saw in the flashback he wanted to die during the terrorist attack, I guess he still has a death wish lingering somewhere in the back of his mind, and he seeks excuses to escape life by failing to perform his duty.

If he had shown some wits during this show I'd give him some leeway by considering this could be a clever, if cruel, plot to reach a final solution somehow, but since Shinkuro is a cowardly loser, I think I can safely discount such an idea, although it could still proceed according to Benika's master plan, whatever that might be.

Munsu
Sun, 06-01-2008, 12:02 AM
I agree with Kraco... he didn't use the horn even though he told Murasaki a few minutes before that he was going to use it to protect her, or something towards that effect.

Even though Yayoi lost too, I thought she put up more of a fight than Shinkurou did, I didn't buy his attempt... he's just a weakass character that clearly had zero resolution.

It's even worse if he goes full pedophile on us... the storyline is quite sick as it is already, and that Murasaki wasn'ts to get into his pants, and he doesn't seem to mind at all.

Everon
Sun, 06-01-2008, 08:15 AM
It's even worse if he goes full pedophile on us... the storyline is quite sick as it is already, and that Murasaki wasn'ts to get into his pants, and he doesn't seem to mind at all.

You've never been around kids, have you Munsu? They'll often talk about things they don't have a full grasp on -- in some cases an adult should correct the child, but sometimes its better to leave things be and not try to confuse them further. They'll understand complex things in due time.

As for Shinkuro -- his strength seems very hard to scale after this last fight. I think the director was trying to force the story in a certain direction and ended up butchering the character.

Ryllharu
Sun, 06-01-2008, 09:14 AM
After all her conversations with Tamaki and Yamie, Murasaki seems to be of the mindset that she will get into a relationship with Shinkurou when she comes of age. That's why she finds Yunno to be such a threat now. Yuuno is already old enough to be with him, and Murasaki doesn't want him "corrupted" by her.

You've never been around kids, have you Munsu? They'll often talk about things they don't have a full grasp on -- in some cases an adult should correct the child, but sometimes its better to leave things be and not try to confuse them further. They'll understand complex things in due time.
I'm pretty sure Murasaki is very well informed and knowledgeable about what she's talking about. She's a Kuhoin, this is normal stuff for them. She knew from a very young age that she would end up fathering her brother's children. She spoke often enough with her real mother, and lived in the Inner Sanctuary for some time already. Kuhoin "come of age" relatively young.

That does bring another problem. If there is going to be any pedophilia, it would come from Murasaki attempting to seduce Shinkurou. She's been raised to believe she's of age at 13, and would consider herself an "adult."

I sincerely doubt Shinkurou would even think of being attracted to her, but Murasaki is very mentally mature for her age.

Everon
Sun, 06-01-2008, 11:00 AM
What are the chances that Shinkuro understands that Murasaki is serious then? She readily believes the stuff Tamaki tells her and ends up calling Shinkuro a lolicon. Think about Shinkuro's position, it'd be hard to separate Tamaki's indirect teasing from what she's learned in the past.

Ryllharu
Sun, 06-01-2008, 11:42 AM
What are the chances that Shinkuro understands that Murasaki is serious then?
Like you said, I suspect very little. Shinkurou may believe she's just a child repeating what she heard on the television or from Tamaki/Yamie which would be correct for a lot of the cultural things Murasaki has absorbed since she was in his care, but Murasaki was taking all the conversations with the two women about relationships absolutely seriously. Tamaki and Yamie were telling her things they actually believed (especially Tamaki after her little episode at her college).

If anything, Shinkurou may believe he's just speaking with a child, but in terms of relationships/romance/love, Murasaki is anything but. Mentally at least. This has been bred into her for years.

Munsu
Sun, 06-01-2008, 11:44 AM

As for Shinkuro -- his strength seems very hard to scale after this last fight. I think the director was trying to force the story in a certain direction and ended up butchering the character.
Wow, have you even been following the series? Murasaki has clearly been shown to quite unique and mature for her age.... it's what everyone has been talking about since the first episode. And this goes beyond what some kids would say about not understanding... just look at the way they interact. I doubt you'd be comfortable if your kid was hanging around a dude like Shinkurou talking about the things they do and doing the things they do as innocent as they corrently are, they're simply not normal behavior. I would kick his ass.

Of course I was joking about him being a pedophile, sarcasm anyone? But, the story keeps giving subtle hints here and there that they wouldn't shy away from the possibility. Their dialogues are quite advanced already for her age, and Shinkurou does understand it especially after being instructed of her background. Also, this has little to do with what Shinkurou is doing as a character at the moment, but what the story might decide to do with him, as I said, they don't seem to be shy about the subject, and all the hints they are showing I wouldn't be surprised if they form some sort of sexual relationship between them, though I doubt it.

NeoBear
Sun, 06-01-2008, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they form some sort of sexual relationship between them, though I doubt it.

man im not sure what to think of that i dont get that vibe at all and if i did im pretty sure theres no way i could watch this. yes Murasaki acts mature for her age but shes ignorant about so much. and Shinkurou imo looks at her as a little sister he takes her in the bath and just acts like hes in there with a little kid, but there very idea of him thinking of Murasaki sexualy is scary and a little disturbing.

Munsu
Sun, 06-01-2008, 03:13 PM
man im not sure what to think of that i dont get that vibe at all and if i did im pretty sure theres no way i could watch this. yes Murasaki acts mature for her age but shes ignorant about so much. and Shinkurou imo looks at her as a little sister he takes her in the bath and just acts like hes in there with a little kid, but there very idea of him thinking of Murasaki sexualy is scary and a little disturbing.
Again, not saying there is... but considering the subject matter the series has been addressing, particularly on the last episode and seeing how the characters interact I wouldn't come as a surprise to me if they did. Again, it's like a 0.0001% of happening, I don't see them doing it but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Didn't really expect this big of a reaction from what is clearly a joke, even though there's some truth in it. Shinkurou gets teased as a lolicon for a reason, not saying he's a pedophile... but once again the way the story has progressed so far and the subject matters the series has addressed it wouldn't surprised me if they did. Take it for what its worth.

As Ryllharu said, Murasaki is fully capable of trying to seduce Shinkurou, and considering how weak minded of a character he is, he might just let her do what she wants.

Koi Kaze anyone?

Everon
Mon, 06-02-2008, 09:04 AM
As Ryllharu said, Murasaki is fully capable of trying to seduce Shinkurou, and considering how weak minded of a character he is, he might just let her do what she wants.

Heh, its true that Shinkurou is weak to advances, but Murasaki wouldn't lower herself to that "vile woman's" standards. :)

animus
Mon, 06-02-2008, 12:28 PM
So Renjou and Souju were actually siblings and in love? Surprising.

Munsu
Sun, 06-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Well, time for pedo-Shinkurou to go emo on episode 10:
http://e.coli.kamosuzo.net/download.php/228/%5BBSS%5D%20kurenai%20-%2010%20%5B1280x720%20h264%5D%5BA17EAE93%5D.mkv.to rrent

Kraco
Sun, 06-08-2008, 04:47 AM
It wasn't as bad as I thought. I feared I'd need to keep skipping scenes but no need for that. Pretty low emo level all in all, even if it certainly was present especially during the first half. However, other people kicked the sense efficiently enough back to Shinkurou.

Still, I think before trying to inflitrate the Kuhouin premises he should ask the Houzuki for extra lessons in some really effective assassination techniques. Might come in handy...

Ryllharu
Sun, 06-08-2008, 05:38 AM
It wasn't bad at all. Shinkurou just exhibited about every possible behavior of someone who wants to be doing something so badly, but isn't sure where to start or how to do it (rescue Murasaki). I know when I've done bad things like totaling my car, I first didn't want to do anything because I was so anxious to take the next step, but having no idea what it was. But not doing anything was driving me insane, so I cleaned the whole house.

It's cathartic. It gives you something to do when you know you have to do something, anything that has a definite result. It's really all you can do until you know what to do.

We got to see why Yayoi was so insistent about Shinkurou being a bad choice, and making absolutely sure he didn't fuck it all up. At the same time, Yayoi admitted that she would have been a bad choice to be the person taking care of Murasaki.

I think this was actually one of the better episodes of the series, because I could relate exactly to how he was acting in the episode.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-08-2008, 12:09 PM
I thought it was a superb episode.

Great emotional drama, without it deteriorating into something too cheesy. Shinkurou's every action was well done, making the entire episode melancholic yet not overly dramatic.

Still, I think he is going to get pawned once he infiltrates. Kurenai is just that type of show, at least I hope it is, without absurd instant powerups I mean.

I loved the comment about not being able to sleep because of their injuries. Made what seems like an absurd beating much more realistic.

Kraco
Sun, 06-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Kurenai is just that type of show, at least I hope it is, without absurd instant powerups I mean.

I guess it depends on whether Kuhouin employes more good fighters than just the crazy bitch and if they use guns. Other than that Shinkurou should be good enough if he just has the balls to use his skills. That's his primary problem.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Hmm... Judging from the preview, I think Shinkurou will probably go in the compound but will be forced to leave right after without getting Murasaki, or something to that effect.

I think those black suited guys are good fighters, but maybe don't have superhuman strength like Shinkurou, Yayoi and the crazy bitch does.

Munsu
Wed, 06-11-2008, 03:47 PM
I thought 10 was boring overall, didn't like how they developed Shinkurou at all within the episode... In my opinion this was the weakest episode so far, story wise and dialogue wise.

Next episode looks like it'll have plenty of action... looking forward to it.

Munsu
Fri, 06-20-2008, 05:51 AM
Here's 11:
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=23251

Good episode in my opinion, but only one episode left? This sucks.

The Heretic Azazel
Fri, 06-20-2008, 05:45 PM
One episode left? Well what the hell did Kurenai have the fucking horn for if it would hardly be mentioned again?

Everon
Sun, 06-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Think of the horn as a metaphor and not a typical superhero powerup. The horn manifests itself during Shinkuuro's moments of helplessness. It represents weakness, not strength.

Kraco
Sun, 06-22-2008, 09:51 AM
A Kuhouin Woman:

Episode 12 Final - BSS (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=23513)

- - - - -

I can't say these last two eps would have redeemed Shinkurou in my eyes, after all. It was half luck things ended how they did, and all in all it also seemed Shinkurou's determination and courage was getting very thin indeed. He only pulled it through because he got one moment alone and could gather his thought without anybody telling him what to do, thus forcing him to make a decision. Indeed Murasaki was perfectly correct when she stated Shinkurou isn't more advanced at all than she is.

The conclusion was a good one, though. It wasn't a cheap Hollywood one, but an intellectual one, with no running away from battle. One that forced people to face the facts with no detours around hard issues. It suits the series, or at least the image of the series I have in my head where Shinkurou isn't a goddam wuss.

Lucifus
Sun, 06-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Am I the only one getting nyaatorrent downtime? -_-

animus
Sun, 06-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Naw, I'm getting it too.

The Heretic Azazel
Sun, 06-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Think of the horn as a metaphor and not a typical superhero powerup. The horn manifests itself during Shinkuuro's moments of helplessness. It represents weakness, not strength.

Well what's the point of showing it if it was shown once? Unless he used it in the second half of 11 or epi. 12 since I haven't watched those yet.

Everon
Tue, 06-24-2008, 09:09 PM
The point in showing it once is so we can get a backstory. Let me try to explain.

Shortly after we see the horn, we get a backstory involving the Hozuki. As it turns out, at one point in time, Shinkuuro wanted this monstrosity put inside him. He was eager to earn Benika's respect. But I surmise he's regretted it. To him the horn is artificial strength. And for viewer purposes it gives an insight on Shinkuuro and his non-static personality.

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 06-24-2008, 10:37 PM
And that's why he gets beat like a bitch in almost every episode.

Kraco
Wed, 06-25-2008, 02:43 AM
Artificial strength is a vague concept in any case. A human is the most perfected killing machine on this planet but not because we would have awesome physical strength, speed, claws or fangs. It's because we can build a goddam machine gun, howitzer, or even a nuclear bomb. So, having such a blade is by no means artificial strength. It's only artificial for Shinkurou because the dude is a miserable coward by nature, yet still paradoxically has no regard for his own health.

Munsu
Sat, 07-05-2008, 02:08 AM
Just watched the final episode... decent conclusion, hated the execution. The last couple of episodes the dialogues have been quite bad, when in the beginning they were awesome.

I'll wait for the manga to release a couple of more volumes and start reading that... from what I've seen around the anime split from the the story and went its own way.

The fights were pretty good though, and the Initial D-like car chase was great.

Overall, great unique series... glad I watched it.

Munsu
Sun, 01-09-2011, 10:08 AM
None of you guys watched the OVA? Though it seems like it might not follow the tv sequence...

Episodes 1-2 by gleam:
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=141803
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=181357