PDA

View Full Version : Soul Eater

Pages : [1] 2 3

TheBladeChild
Thu, 04-10-2008, 05:03 AM
Dont know much about this anime, I only watched the trailer, but the action looks nice.

http://bt.animeen.com/down.php?date=1207794957&hash=cbd16107e8427d71b3758ec39660034549dd566e

Belial
Thu, 04-10-2008, 05:44 AM
strange animation, has elements of Bleach and Shana

but overall i like it, has action and comedy

Kraco
Thu, 04-10-2008, 05:56 AM
The manga is quite witless, from what I have read from the beginning. Lots of comedy.

TheBladeChild's description was so overflowingly detailed that lets add a summary here:

"Set in the Shinigami technical school for weapon technicians, the series revolves around 3 groups of each a weapon technician and a human weapon. Trying to make the latter a "Death Scythe" and thus fit for use by the Shinigami, they must collect the souls of 99 evil humans and 1 witch." -AniDB

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-10-2008, 08:49 AM
[AEN] Soul Eater 01 HD H.264 [1280X720].mp4 (http://bt.animeen.com/down.php?date=1207794957&hash=cbd16107e8427d71b3758ec39660034549dd566e)

Shinji Ikari
Thu, 04-10-2008, 09:15 AM
If they are gonna make an anime with the same name as the most awesome True Runes (The Soul Eater) they should make it awesome and cool, not like a parody of itself.

animus
Thu, 04-10-2008, 10:36 AM
If they are gonna make an anime with the same name as the most awesome True Runes (The Soul Eater) they should make it awesome and cool, not like a parody of itself.

Because everyone has played Suikoden or Soul Eater is totally a unique name right?

Edit: I really like how they retained the manga's art style so well, the animation is amazing. But that's to be expected of a studio like Bones. Also is the OP song a TM Revolution song?

The people who play as Maka and Soul are practically unknown. Surprising.

Sapphire
Thu, 04-10-2008, 01:38 PM
I'll watch it because I like the title. XD

Munsu
Thu, 04-10-2008, 01:48 PM
The manga didn't convince me, simply because everything seemed chaotic and hard to follow the action. But the anime looks quite good, and the chaos makes more sense in this medium... will watch when another group releases.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-10-2008, 07:12 PM
I believe this is a new group. Their maiden release.

Soul Eater - 01 LoneWolf Subs (http://www.datorrents.com/download/34598--lwf-soul-eater-01/)

No idea what format it is. Can't download till I roll over my quota.:(
edit: whatever format it is, it's a whopping 300+MB release!!

ruccus
Thu, 04-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Because everyone has played Suikoden or Soul Eater is totally a unique name right?

Edit: I really like how they retained the manga's art style so well, the animation is amazing. But that's to be expected of a studio like Bones. Also is the OP song a TM Revolution song?

The people who play as Maka and Soul are practically unknown. Surprising.

The opening is done by T.M. Revolution and is called Resonance.

I have read the first 3 or so chapters of the manga and I can say for sure that Soul Eater was made to be an anime. The art style was, as others have pointed, too chaotic for a manga. Proof being that I caught many parts explained better in the show than the manga. I never really got why the 99 souls were initially confiscated in the manga, but the anime did a good job of explaining it.

PS. Does anyone know which version this one is? The late-night or regular?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-11-2008, 01:14 AM
I had trouble coping with this art style at first. Seemed so....unrefined.....but got used to it soon enough. I think I'll stick with this one too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this series isn't going to get into anything too serious is it? If it does, all the better.

Yukimura
Fri, 04-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Soul Eater - 01 (Uncut Version) - [Rumbel] (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=5679)

I don't fully understand the difference but the show seems to have two time slots, one of which is later at night and thus the uncut version can conceivably get away with more.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-11-2008, 11:32 PM
It turns out the late show is exactly the same, with nothing interesting added at all. It just has a few repeated scenes (exactly the same as the Monday evening version), and a longer next episode preview after the ED sequence. Don’t bother.

Strange that it wasn't for censorship reasons at all. Maybe that will change with later episodes.

Ryllharu
Sat, 04-12-2008, 05:05 AM
I watched Lone Wolf's version, which currently is the best of the released versions. Good video quality, but huge encode (350 megs). Audio's fine, translation is good, and they even toss in a few notes.

I'm definitely watching this series to the end.

BONES caught the style of the manga perfectly, the fights are amazingly fluid and well done, music fits well to get the feeling going, and as always, the series looks like someone ate a bunch of Nightmare Before Christmas sets and clay models before throwing them all up over the screen in eye-bleeding technicolor. Love it.

As for the characters, some have complained about the actress playing Maaka, but that's just the way Maaka is. Cold and a little flat in the beginning. The scenes towards the end were well played, and there was even a little tug on my heart when she was ranting while remembering all the reasons she hates her father.

Who is hilarious by the way. The scene were the two hostesses were talking about him while he was between them was great. That had me laughing. He's just so pathetic. Yes, he's the stereotype loser-papa, but it hasn't failed me yet.

Lastly, I want to throw in the quick observation about the first fight against Jack the Ripper. There was one point in all the fancy swinging and twirling (I love scythe fights...) that Maaka looked over her shoulder. Just a super-quick glance to make sure she knew where the position of the stairs was. If I didn't already have a fondness for this series, that would settle it for me. Just that tiny attention to detail in the character, the writer and the animator.

It says a bit about Maaka's character, and adds some realism to the fight. If she's swinging and twirling away like a madwoman, she should definitely use her surroundings as well as checking to see her own position. Keeps her at the advantage, and it even let her win the fight. Fight smart, not just DBZ/(Ichigo in Bleach) super overpowered.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-12-2008, 05:10 AM
What does LoneWolf do better than AEN? I'm trying to justify if the larger download is worth it.

Ryllharu
Sat, 04-12-2008, 05:17 AM
Absolutely.

Anything > AEN.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-12-2008, 06:09 AM
Didn't want to sound rude, but in what way? I'm sure there's things that you guys can pick up that I miss. Lots of things. I didn't see anything wrong with the encoding. Sentences made sense, and I couldn't see any obvious spelling/grammar mistakes. As for translating/portraying the characters properly, I don't have a clue.

Ryllharu
Sat, 04-12-2008, 06:29 AM
AEN took an "HD" file and made it 170 megs. Even if it's an mp4, they just don't look that good that way. The compression gets too high, and you lose a lot in the bitrate. Because the source was over 400 megs, they are coming from fairly high quality, but they are just pushing it too far. Order used HD sources for Gurren Lagann, and they were cutting it tight with 238 meg mp4's.

AEN has improved..a bit in their translation, but the translator has frequently defended himself saying that the only reason for doing this is to learn Japanese. I am not aware they use QC at all.

Spelling errors are common, the language is awful, and I often have to take time to figure out what the hell they were trying to say. I'm not fluent by any means, but after watching all this anime, you gain a pretty good idea what a word or phrase is analogous to in English. AEN subs rarely meet that.

It's gotten better, but when you're going from shitsubs to trashsubs, that's not saying a whole lot.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-12-2008, 06:35 AM
Okay, I'm convinced.Lone Wolf release it is. Maybe after a few years, I'll be able to pick fansubs apart like that too.

Kraco
Sat, 04-12-2008, 07:02 AM
Still, 350 is unnecessarily big. If they were using xvid it would be justified but not with h264. It tells the encoder doesn't trust the numbers (regardless of whether he knows what he's doing) but only wants to play it safe by bloating the file size. Under 300 is usually enough for h264 HD encodes based on everything I've seen unless you are talking about some really graphically insane series, which this one isn't by far.

I'll have to see if I bother to download 350 MB eps. I did it with Gundam 00 and Ghost Hound but generally it's waste of bandwidth.

Ryllharu
Sat, 04-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Still, 350 is unnecessarily big. If they were using xvid it would be justified but not with h264. It tells the encoder doesn't trust the numbers (regardless of whether he knows what he's doing) but only wants to play it safe by bloating the file size. Under 300 is usually enough for h264 HD encodes based on everything I've seen unless you are talking about some really graphically insane series, which this one isn't by far.

I'll have to see if I bother to download 350 MB eps. I did it with Gundam 00 and Ghost Hound but generally it's waste of bandwidth.

As I stated in that earlier post, that was the only standout issue I had with Lone Wolf.

I'm still waiting to see A-E's version before I decide on which to settle with. They did a promo and claimed to be doing the series, but we'll have to wait and see.

Munsu
Sat, 04-12-2008, 11:13 PM
A-E and Saizen are supposed to do it, and surely the version I would want to keep and watch. I watched the Rumble version myself, and of the ones that are out at the moment, I would think they're the best version at the moment.

Also, there seems to be a cut and uncut version... their's is uncut:
http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=5695

Anyways, really liked the first episode... will surely continue watching.

Board of Command
Sun, 04-13-2008, 12:46 AM
This is a really wacked out series and I like it! It resembles Gurren Lagann in a sense.

Yukimura
Sun, 04-13-2008, 03:32 AM
Holy crap scythe fight! The first half of this ep reduced me to raving scythe fanboyism pretty quickly and it took the span of the soul eating explanation to calm me down. The animation style is indeed strange but i was used to it about the same time I woke up for my scythe fight daze. The main chars seem standard, but they have enough newness to be interesting. Soul is clearly the shounen punk archetyoe, but he doesn't seem as rude and cold as many of his compatriots so I think the relationship dynamic between him and Maka has some good potential.

Shinigami-kun and the dad are surprisingly funny given how absurd they are. Oh, have I mentioned that there was an awesome Scyte fight in this episode yet? Even if they don't plan to make all the action in the series as flashy and entertaining as that first fight (as evidenced by the less flashy second fight) this still has great potential to sate my shounen needs. Here's to hoping for 52 eps!

Kraco
Sun, 04-13-2008, 03:46 AM
I'm actually more looking forward to Black Star and Tsubaki's fights. Especially now that I know I don't like Maka's voice actor's performance at all. And besides, Tsubaki is so hot...

Munsu
Sun, 04-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Well, I remember reading only a bit of the manga.. probably the first chapter only, and from what I saw the series so far has been loyal to the manga. Am I right on that assumption? I know it's early in the series to tell what path this will take, but it would be nice to know how it is being handled so far. Regardless, the first episode was great in my opinion.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-13-2008, 01:21 PM
From what I can remember, it was pretty much dead on. I get the feeling that maybe the order of things might have changed (I read the first chapter over a year ago). I don't remember the stuff with Blair the cat-girl being that early, but I could be wrong.

I do remember Black Star (insert pentagram) getting his own separate introduction chapter(s), which they hinted at right at the end.

narutosharingan
Sun, 04-13-2008, 01:22 PM
A-E and Saizen are supposed to do it, and surely the version I would want to keep and watch. I watched the Rumble version myself, and of the ones that are out at the moment, I would think they're the best version at the moment.

Also, there seems to be a cut and uncut version... their's is uncut:
http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=5695

Anyways, really liked the first episode... will surely continue watching.

Rumble has an avi and a mkv version....is there a real big difference between the two? I ask this because the avi version is half the size of the mkv, and I'm not sure if it's worth the difference.

Especially if A-E/Saizen are subbing.

Kraco
Sun, 04-13-2008, 01:26 PM
From what I can remember, it was pretty much dead on. I get the feeling that maybe the order of things might have changed (I read the first chapter over a year ago). I don't remember the stuff with Blair the cat-girl being that early, but I could be wrong.

It's indeed dead on. The stuff in this ep was mostly from the first intro chapter (or whatever it was called), and it looks like the next ep will be based on the second intro chapter. And call me a seer but I predict either the end of the second ep or the third ep will feature the third intro chapter!

animus
Sun, 04-13-2008, 01:32 PM
I thought the other character introductions were done early. Guess having read them over a year ago doesn't help.

Munsu
Sun, 04-13-2008, 01:37 PM

I do remember Black Star (insert pentagram) getting his own separate introduction chapter(s), which they hinted at right at the end.

Well, seeing as I only read one or two chapters and remember the introduction of the witch, then she was indeed introduced this early.

Rumble has an avi and a mkv version....is there a real big difference between the two? I ask this because the avi version is half the size of the mkv, and I'm not sure if it's worth the difference.

Especially if A-E/Saizen are subbing.

Different codecs used, I haven't seen the avi version myself (xvid) by the mkv one should be much better (h264). At the least, just make sure you download the uncut version.

But surely, if it's for a quick watch right now, just go with the one you feel more comfortable downloading... filesizes never bother me. I will probably be keeping the Saizen-AE version myself.

RyougaZell
Sun, 04-13-2008, 10:13 PM
So... does anyone know the suppossed difference between uncut and uncensored? I mean... I downloaded the uncensored one, and I do not see anything that could have been cut out.

Munsu
Sun, 04-13-2008, 10:18 PM
So... does anyone know the suppossed difference between uncut and uncensored? I mean... I downloaded the uncensored one, and I do not see anything that could have been cut out.
I think this should help you understand quite a bit:
http://kirayamato04.wordpress.com/2008/04/12/soul-eater-anime-versions/

But, even if there haven't been enough differences yet, I would think that as the series progresses this might change. Still, I wouldn't be expecting some nipple and pussy shot galore if that's what you're wondering.

RyougaZell
Mon, 04-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Nah... I was just wondering, because the series felt light to me.Maybe future episodes will get different.
Although I'll probably won't be following this series anyway.

Thanks for the link Munsu. It helped.

Munsu
Mon, 04-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Just as it was light hearted in some instances, I wouldn't say the series was that light... there were a couple of violent scenes...

Like when Jack the Ripper is killing off the women in the street.

kAi
Wed, 04-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Just finished watching the episode and I really like it. The animation is awesome, it's one of my favourite points about this series, it's different yes but looks good and makes it more fun.

The father and Shinigami are excellent, they really set the pace with the idiocy and comedy, and I look forward to more of them and the interactions they have, especially with Soul and Maka.

I look forward to more Scythe action because they are cool weapons.

I don't know how this series warrants an uncut and cut version, well at this point in time anyway, seems more lighthearted that has some violent and ecchi scenes.

Look forward to seeing more of this show, and next episode from the footage looks like it wont disappoint.

Munsu
Wed, 04-16-2008, 07:34 PM
AEN, cut version since the uncut airs tomorrow:
http://www.animeen.com/forum/attachment.php?aid=678

Kraco
Thu, 04-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Black Star certainly was goofy, just like he's supposed to be. First repeating the assassin's doctrines of stealth and surprise, and then proceeding to jump forth in as grand a manner as possible, with a few selected, and most definitely unnecessary, theatrics to boot. Tsubaki truly is a saint to so merrily go along with him.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-18-2008, 06:57 PM
I liked this episode, mainly because of Tsubaki. I think she'll be my favourite this series. It really is versatile for her to transform into all sorts of stuff. I wonder if only she can do it, or whether the other weapons just feel comfortable in one form. I thought Death the Kid would have been pretty cool from the OP, but now that I learn he's got a perfectionist mentality, I don't know how annoying that'll be. Dual pistol > Chain Scythe, but Tsubaki > all. :D

animus
Fri, 04-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Too bad I hate the way he shoots with his pinkies. If he wanted to be a perfectionist, he should be using his index fingers.

Ryllharu
Fri, 04-18-2008, 07:05 PM
I always thought Death the Kid was hilarious. Sure, BlackStar is our standard retard, but Death the Kid comes off so smart until is OCD goes wild.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Too bad I hate the way he shoots with his pinkies. If he wanted to be a perfectionist, he should be using his index fingers.

Yeah, I agree. It's added in there to make him "special", but it kinda loses realism (not that people fight with scythes, but still). Not only is it harder to aim, but fire rate goes down with finger strength/speed, unless this is a fully automatic pistol we're talking about. It'll be interesting to find out about the girls though. The short haired one seems a little air headed, and the other a a bit more quiet and cold.

I wonder which will work better. Two partners or a team of three.

I just have a feeling that he might not get along with his dad that well. Not dislike him, but being overshadowed by him, and probably since he's always being compared since he's Death's son.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Soul Eater 02 (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=5932) by Rumbel

Everon
Sat, 04-19-2008, 03:27 PM
There are about a million things unrealistic with this anime, and you guys care that much about Kid using his pinkies?? LOL.

Munsu
Sat, 04-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Just watched episode 2 by Rumbel, and again there doesn't seem to be any notable differences from the two versions, so I guess it's kinda pointless to wait unless you preffer one group over the other.

Anyways, I enjoyed the episode quite a bit, but Black Star is quite annoying mainly because he kept repeating the same shitty lines about 10 times in the episode. Tsubaki was great though. Maka needs more screentime though, hopelly she'll get a bit more next episode or on the one after it (since it seems that next episode it will be that will be solely character introductory). I wonder if the other weapons can transform into multiple things as Tsubaki does. And along those lines, if each weapon has a definite shape or if their shape has anything to do with the person who wields them.

But I'm really liking the art of the series and the colorful setting is great. The action animation is not far behind... cool series for the time being, even if I think the comedic aspects of the series are poor.

Darknodin
Sat, 04-19-2008, 04:35 PM
uh... after watching this ep... anyone else got a Gurren Lagann vibe out of this? (highly stylish... vibrant weird world, weird characters, etc.)?

edit: in the OP... look at when the cat-lady appears... the two gun-girls reactions are interesting.

Ryllharu
Sat, 04-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Anyways, I enjoyed the episode quite a bit, but Black Star is quite annoying mainly because he kept repeating the same shitty lines about 10 times in the episode. Tsubaki was great though.
cool series for the time being, even if I think the comedic aspects of the series are poor.
That's what I like about Black Star. He's about as stereotypical of a shonen hero as you can possibly get. The same idiotic, self-indulgent, egotistical, and completely baseless lines over and over and over. He's also incredibly stupid, but "has a good heart."

He's a joke pointed right at the entire genre.

Consider who our real protagonist is. Maka. Female lead protagonist in a shonen series is far from common. She's also fairly expressionless so far, and quite the take away from most characters like her (a cold female lead, and as a cold female character). Both aspects of her character make for a pronounced departure from most series, except for things like Kurau.

Of course Tsubaki counters him perfectly to make him a functional character rather than just comedy relief. It's just too bad she can't do all that much on her own as a weapon.

The comedy is all dumbed down stuff, appealing to the audience the series goes for. If I'm guessing right from the OP and the stuff in the introduction of each episode, I imagine the series will take a darker turn at some point. The really inane and weak comedy should provide a better contrast to those hopefully darker parts.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Lone wolf and Yuurisan Subs make their release. (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=16449) Strange how only an SD avi is released...

Munsu
Sat, 04-19-2008, 08:01 PM
That's what I like about Black Star. He's about as stereotypical of a shonen hero as you can possibly get. The same idiotic, self-indulgent, egotistical, and completely baseless lines over and over and over. He's also incredibly stupid, but "has a good heart."

He's a joke pointed right at the entire genre.

Consider who our real protagonist is. Maka. Female lead protagonist in a shonen series is far from common. She's also fairly expressionless so far, and quite the take away from most characters like her (a cold female lead, and as a cold female character). Both aspects of her character make for a pronounced departure from most series, except for things like Kurau.

Of course Tsubaki counters him perfectly to make him a functional character rather than just comedy relief. It's just too bad she can't do all that much on her own as a weapon.

The comedy is all dumbed down stuff, appealing to the audience the series goes for. If I'm guessing right from the OP and the stuff in the introduction of each episode, I imagine the series will take a darker turn at some point. The really inane and weak comedy should provide a better contrast to those hopefully darker parts.

I understand the parodic aspects of the show and its characters, but it doesn't make them any less annoying or dumb. Just the same how I don't enjoy most of the shitty parody movies in the US. There are good jokes and bad ones, doesn't matter what the intention was. For example, I thought his first scene was quite good... after that, the jokes became lame and repetitive. Wether or not those were their intentions, it doesn't change that I found them poorly done.

kAi
Sun, 04-20-2008, 02:09 AM
I liked this episode, Black Star and Tsubaki are great and make a good team. Also, what people have pointed out it's really cool how she can change her forms.

I look forward to seeing Death the Kid also, and to see what he brings with his two weapons.

Assassin
Sun, 04-20-2008, 03:14 AM
Anyone else wondering why all the different weapons turn into death scythes after they get 100 souls? It made sense for Soul Eater since he is a scythe, but for guns and chain scythes to turn into full blown death scythes....doesn't really make sense.

Also, do they keep using the weapon after getting 100 souls? or do they hand it over to the shinigami and get a new weapon?

Munsu
Sun, 04-20-2008, 03:31 AM
Good question because I'm wondering the same thing. Black Star said something about turning over the Death Scythe over to Shinigami-sama, so I wonder. Another thing is that it seems that it's not merely eating souls... but eating souls of opponents you have defeated. Shinigami-sama is monitoring the progress to make sure no one cheats.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-20-2008, 05:40 AM
I think "Death Scythe" is just a general term. It's just a weapon that Shinigami-sama is able to use, or is strong enough for him to use effectively. It's also Maka's father's name, in addition to him actually being a completed "Death Scythe," just to add to the confusion.

More of a title than literally turning into a Scythe specifically.

I wonder what Maka's mother looks like. Her pathetic father was going through a divorce because he is a philandering deadbeat according to the hostesses. Maybe we'll get to see her.

DDBen
Sun, 04-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Another thing is that it seems that it's not merely eating souls... but eating souls of opponents you have defeated. Shinigami-sama is monitoring the progress to make sure no one cheats.

I don't agree with this at all and didn't get that impression. Black Star could have had Tsubaki eat all of those souls instead of bringing them back if he decided to do so otherwise he would have not even considered killing the witch in the first place. The reason he choose not to have her eat them was simply because he was against having her eat souls when he didn't defeat the opponent it was personal honor not simply a rule.

Shinigami-sama also only takes reports at the end if the opponent is defeated and you tell him you did so and ate the soul it doesn't seem like he would so much as question it heck he said Black Star should have simply lied about it in the first place. I'm assuming the difference is if they get paid for doing the job or not as they seem to be getting assignments from a bounty board of some kind.

Chiodos
Sun, 04-20-2008, 10:43 AM
As I am so totally lost and to lazy, can anyone who knows tell me..

Night Late version? Uncut? What : D?

Anyway, the artwork style reminds me of the Mumin Trolls (sp eng?)

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Late uncut version airing at night has some extra (sometimes repeated) sceens, probably from different angles, and a longer preview for the next ep. It is not uncensored nudity or extra panty shots, which is why it makes me wonder what the point is making such a broadcast move.

Munsu
Sun, 04-20-2008, 11:06 AM
I don't agree with this at all and didn't get that impression. Black Star could have had Tsubaki eat all of those souls instead of bringing them back if he decided to do so otherwise he would have not even considered killing the witch in the first place. The reason he choose not to have her eat them was simply because he was against having her eat souls when he didn't defeat the opponent it was personal honor not simply a rule.

Shinigami-sama also only takes reports at the end if the opponent is defeated and you tell him you did so and ate the soul it doesn't seem like he would so much as question it heck he said Black Star should have simply lied about it in the first place. I'm assuming the difference is if they get paid for doing the job or not as they seem to be getting assignments from a bounty board of some kind.
Well, he was monitoring the fight... and then made it a point to say to Black Star "you should've deceived me" just to see what type of reaction he'd get, while us the viewers would've known that Shinigami-sama was viewing the fight and couldn't have been deceived. So certainly there has to be some sort of restriction or code. Else, it wouldn't be so much of a struggle to get all those souls. Tsubaki could've eaten them all, but there might've been some punishment for doing so, else why would Shinigami-sama make a point of the possibility of being deceived? If it's an accepted practice, then there's no reason to deceive anyone.

DDBen
Sun, 04-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Well I'll say this much I decided with this series I'll read the manga as I watch the episodes not ahead mind you but rather after the episode airs. In this case chapter Zero part B. While episode 1 was pretty much the same as the manga this time the two were completely different and those changes are the reason for the confusion we are facing Munsu. Now I don't think the translation is off mind you I just think they heavily modified the source material and made it a bit nonsensical as a result.

I don't plan on talking about any specific details about the changes though as the ones in the anime might be relevant to future changes in the anime. Also note I only just read this chapter after my previous post.

Anyone who wants to read the chapter its available over at onemang.com the first episode is covered in part a of chapter zero and this one is part b. I assume next weeks is part c.

Kraco
Sun, 04-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Completely different? That's strange. It has been a while since I read the intro chapters but I didn't register any notable differences when watching the ep. Most of the important things certainly where there. Or maybe I was so blinded by Tsubaki's hotness that I simply didn't see any details...

ruccus
Sun, 04-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Well, he was monitoring the fight... and then made it a point to say to Black Star "you should've deceived me" just to see what type of reaction he'd get, while us the viewers would've known that Shinigami-sama was viewing the fight and couldn't have been deceived. So certainly there has to be some sort of restriction or code. Else, it wouldn't be so much of a struggle to get all those souls. Tsubaki could've eaten them all, but there might've been some punishment for doing so, else why would Shinigami-sama make a point of the possibility of being deceived? If it's an accepted practice, then there's no reason to deceive anyone.

I think the rule is that the person who kills the kishin has the right to eat the souls. Otherwise, they cannot eat the souls. Just like Soul Eater's souls were confiscated at the end of Ep 1 because he ate the "magic cat's" soul.

DDBen
Sun, 04-20-2008, 08:04 PM
I think the rule is that the person who kills the kishin has the right to eat the souls. Otherwise, they cannot eat the souls. Just like Soul Eater's souls were confiscated at the end of Ep 1 because he ate the "magic cat's" soul.

nope his were taken away because to make a Death Scythe you need to eat exactly 99 "evil human" souls and the 100th must be a witches soul. You don't get a second chance at the 100th if you screw it up you must start over.

Because a Cats soul is NOT a witch soul the other souls were confiscated it had nothing to do with who killed who. Plus the Cat was killed it just happens to have more lives.

Munsu
Sun, 04-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Regardless of the reason, there's already a precedent for people losing their collected souls.

Munsu
Mon, 04-21-2008, 04:29 AM
First episode out by Section-9:
http://section-nine.uni.cc/t/%5Bs9%5D_Soul_Eater_01_%5B29D4838F%5D.mkv.torrent

You might remember them from the Erementar Gerad releases.

Aniyoshi also released their version of the first episode:
http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_SOUL_EATER_-_01_%5B102E1249%5D.mkv.torrent

Chiodos
Mon, 04-21-2008, 01:14 PM
I actually do wonder if their going to add some serious tone to this serie. To me, this serie can maybe become what Black Cat did not.

Munsu
Thu, 04-24-2008, 03:53 PM
AEN:
http://bt.animeen.com/down.php?date=1209054113&hash=be57927c7def241f15e5c4701fa57e05ae7e114d

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Well, another group picks this up. This time it's AniYoshi. Worth looking into I guess. (Another 350MG release :( )

Episode 1 (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_SOUL_EATER_-_01_%5B102E1249%5D.mkv.torrent)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-25-2008, 01:16 AM
Kid's disorder isn't as annoying as I thought it would be at first. Not attending the same school as the other two will probably impact on his screen time though. Despite his love for symmetry, he's fundamentally asymmetrical. Pissed off Kid is rather cool though, so I hope the symmetry thing doesn't come back too often. With the prologue finished now, I'll be expecting our focus to be back on Maka and Black Star, with Kid coming along every so often to show him down.

animus
Fri, 04-25-2008, 07:16 AM
I actually rather found the symmetry perfection to be more annoying than in the manga. In the manga I'd just be like oh god this annoying and read quickly. But for the anime I just have to sit through these nuances for long periods of time and feel like I really need to slap the guy.

Munsu
Sat, 04-26-2008, 03:38 AM
Well, here's episode 2 by S9 for those iterested:
http://section-nine.uni.cc/t/[s9]_Soul_Eater_02_[376CAF6C].mkv.torrent

I actually do wonder if their going to add some serious tone to this serie. To me, this serie can maybe become what Black Cat did not.

That's what I'm hoping myself, though I don't think they'll go away from the comedy. But the first episode showed that it can go dark at times, and the violence that is presented in a couple of scenes leads me to believe that the series can become serious at some point and dark; but still have some elements of comedy intermixed.

Assassin
Sun, 04-27-2008, 07:58 PM
the symmetry thing was bearable, though not enjoyable after the first time. what really pissed me off was the fact that he refused to kill the pharaoh cuz of symmetry...that was just fucking stupid. what made it worse was that he was being completely serious about it too...it wasn't presented as a comical moment.

in addition, wtf was up with him not dying? he got stabbed straight thru like 4 times, and then a giant hammer pounded on him repeatedly....but 2 seconds later he gets up like nothing has happened. there better be a reason for that, cuz the typical "shounen hero can take stupid amounts of damage" explanation will really piss me off.

Munsu
Sun, 04-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Late night version from Rumbel:
http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=6239

Going to watch it now.

Edit: Nice episode, though the symetry bit does piss be off a bit. I also didn't like how the dude got stabbed and messed up so bad and just out of nowhere be ok. Also, once again the show makes mention of Shinigami-sama being able to confiscate souls at his whim.

Anyways, according to the episode the prologue of the series is over so I expect the next portion to be even better... hopefully it won't dissapoint. I like how they introduced Sid in this episode only to have a case of him being killed in the next one.

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Death the Kid is kind of annoying sometimes because he's such a freak, but I think Liz and Patty more than make up for him.

Liz for being totally afraid of creepy things...in a world where the Sun laughs and the Moon oozes blood out of it's mouth? It's just really out of place. So far that's a little one dimensional, but it's still pretty funny.

...and then there's Patty. First off she seems really ditzy, but it's more likely she's just really insane. From her really stupid remarks and cutesy side, she comes off one way, and then she bitches at her older sister for being a scaredy-cat and makes her cry. Not to mention the way the two of them can use each other, and Patty quickly shoves Liz into the mouths of mummies, mafia style.

Munsu
Tue, 04-29-2008, 03:43 AM
Yeah, I really liked Patty and how she was teasing the older sister with her psychotic look when they reached the tomb.

Speaking of them, I really though that the scene where they were alone killing the mummies was really good. How they kept transforming between weapon and human, alternating between each other was really really cool.

So this Death the Kid should be more powerful than the other two, at least they alluded to it when they made him take some sort of impossible mission that Maka and Black Star should not be able to handle. Plus he's Shinigami-sama's son, that should amount to something. Which is kinda wierd, considering that Soul only needed 1 more soul to be complete and the Death the Kid ones seem to be right at the beginning of their soul collecting. Also, since he's wielding two weapons, I wonder how they'll play out the collecting of 198 plus 2 witch souls.

Kraco
Tue, 04-29-2008, 05:07 AM
Which is kinda wierd, considering that Soul only needed 1 more soul to be complete and the Death the Kid ones seem to be right at the beginning of their soul collecting. Also, since he's wielding two weapons, I wonder how they'll play out the collecting of 198 plus 2 witch souls.

I don't think that's weird at all, if you think about it. Of these three teams Maka + Soul is actually the only one that you could think might consistently actually finish their missions. Maka is obviously one of those perfectionist class girls and while Soul is a bit more peculiar, he still has lots of ambition. Black Star and Death the Kid both have some very crucial personality flaws that can in an instant completely negate their otherwise considerable powers.

I don't think the 99+1 even is any uber hard task (although the +1 can be hard for sure) if you choose your opponents and strategy carefully, like I think Maka has been doing (except for the unfortunate +1).

Munsu
Tue, 04-29-2008, 05:31 AM
Well I think it's wierd in the way that the episode made it look like there was a huge power gap between her and Death the Kid. I don't know how many stages there are in their training, but a Death Scythe seems to be goal, and Maka seemed to be just one step away from it. So considering that she was so close to the goal, that there's such a huge gap alluded to in the episode it's kind of wierd.

Kraco
Tue, 04-29-2008, 06:45 AM
Death the Kid let even that miserable burglar get away because he was more interested in the symmetry of their introduction pose than catching him. He could be ten times more powerful than Maka, but if he fails to catch most of his prey, it gains him nothing (but peace of mind). Maka looked some someone who would perform her missions perfectly and till the end every time. So, for her 110 preys might be enough to get 99 souls (assuming her efficiency is not quite 100%), but Death the Kid might need 200 targets to get 99 souls captured because for whatever arbitrary asymmetrical reason he could fail at any moment.

I don't think it's really a question of power against normal opponents, so Maka should be powerful enough. Anything Death the Kid has above that level might be unnecessary extra except when catching that +1.

Munsu
Tue, 04-29-2008, 07:02 AM
Yeah, but I'm not arguing that he may be more powerful than her or anything, I'm just saying that it was wierd how they made the gap between them so big... especially when all of these guys are seemingly rookies at the trade, and Maka is the only one among the three that came up really close to the upgrade (as far as we know). And Maka is no slouch either, she's the daughter of a legendary wielder and daughter of Shinigami-sama's Death Scythe. The way they presented it was in a way that it was a mission that caused a lot of rumors of who would be crazy enough to take on it, and they presented it as if he would be the only one capable of accomplishing the task in the school. Also, poking a hole in your argument, since he is so inefficient in accomplishing his mission, why are they giving him this one... one that apparently none of the kids are capable of accomplishing it? Again, it's a bit wierd how they presented it as if there was a huge power gap between him and Maka, I don't buy it.

He may be better than Maka, but the gap they alluded to between them is indeed wierd.

But whatever, it's not even important.

Kraco
Tue, 04-29-2008, 07:50 AM
Aye. I agree the alluded power gap still remains largely unexplained, but on the other hand, maybe it will be revealed in actual story arcs. Even if we forget the fact he seems to be able forget all damage to his body when it suits him.

Other than that, I think nepotism plays a role there. He's the great shinigami-sama's son, and can do as he pleases, and obviously his old man trusts his skills and power greatly, instead of trying to protect him (but it's that kind of world anyway).

Munsu
Tue, 04-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Hah, I found what I was looking for. The thing is that he's completely different to these guys... he's a freaking Shinigami, when he talks with his father, the father tells him that he doesn't need to gather souls or even need to wield a weapon. This dude is in a different class altogether.

Yukimura
Tue, 04-29-2008, 11:46 AM
I can't see anything even remotely cool about holding guns upside down and firing with the pinky fingers. In fact, I found it distracted me from what he was doing just knowing that he was holding the guns like that. Patty and Liz were cool and likeable and so where the Kid's substantial special powers (who wouldn't like a magic flying skateboard) but I found his style and attitude fairly bothersome. Hopefully there will be enough Patty & Liz screen time to off set his goofiness.

Munsu
Wed, 04-30-2008, 07:12 AM
Tadashi:
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torrentinfo&tid=17499

Don't know if they're any good.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Ow, why is everyone being so big? 379 MiB :(

I'll probably join the bandwagon and wait for Rumbel. Probably...

animus
Wed, 04-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Maka's voice work is awful. It's such a dull sounding voice to begin with, but the VA is just so unresponsive and monotonous.

Dark Dragon
Wed, 04-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Tadashi's release is pretty watchable since the only complaint i really have is the odd wording for a few phrases.

They also put Brea has Blair's name but maybe that was an intentional joke so I'll let it slide.

The episode itself is pretty close to the manga material with one very minor comedy scene not being included.

@Animus I've heard a lot of other people complain about how much they dislike Maka's voice but i personally like it because in my opinion it fits her personality. The voice they picked for Frankenstein sound exactly like what I'd imagine and i hope the voice actor do him justice because Stein is my favorite character by far.

Munsu
Wed, 04-30-2008, 08:25 PM
I don't see why people don't like Maka's voice, I love it myself.

Darknodin
Wed, 04-30-2008, 08:52 PM
I like Maka's voice...

about the episode, i found it actually very good! and it all seems like a set up.

ForteCross
Thu, 05-01-2008, 07:35 AM
saizen just released their first episode, here is the link (http://a.scarywater.net/saizen/%5BA-E_%26_Saizen%5D_Soul_Eater_01_%5BDual_Editions%5D_ %5BHD%5D_%5BCC717FBD%5D.mkv.torrent) if someone like me was waiting for them :rolleyes:

Munsu
Thu, 05-01-2008, 07:42 AM
saizen just released their first episode, here is the link (http://a.scarywater.net/saizen/%5BA-E_%26_Saizen%5D_Soul_Eater_01_%5BDual_Editions%5D_ %5BHD%5D_%5BCC717FBD%5D.mkv.torrent) if someone like me was waiting for them :rolleyes:
Worth pointing out that they put both versions of the episode in the file. I think it's quite dumb for them to do so, but whatever. You can switch between them through the spitter, just as you would go to change the audio or subs of a release.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 05-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Worth pointing out that they put both versions of the episode in the file. I think it's quite dumb for them to do so, but whatever. You can switch between them through the spitter, just as you would go to change the audio or subs of a release.

From the way you guys talk about them, I take it these guys are the best to archive from?

Munsu
Thu, 05-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Not sure, I'll probably keep them or S9. I haven't seen their version yet, but if past performance is an indication, then probably.

Yukimura
Thu, 05-01-2008, 08:07 AM
A-E Saizen are typically good quality, but they're just going to drop it once it's licensed anyway :(

Buffalobiian
Thu, 05-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Well in that case, Rumbel seems like a version everyone's happy with.

Yukimura
Thu, 05-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Really liked this ep, plot! The intro eps were fun but I'm glad it jumps right into plot instead of spending any more time on single serving eps. The Kid is much cooler when he's sitting in a chair trying to sound like a badass mover and shaker than when he's trying to fight.

And I found the soul resonance thing hilarious. Typically once the main character powers up in an early episode they proceed to obliterate the opponent with no problem, it was great to see the power up completely wasted because of clumsiness and then for them to win with regular skills.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 05-01-2008, 11:12 PM
AEN - release, for those interested. (http://bt.animeen.com/down.php?date=1209669038&hash=6290dd446eeb114ad39aa69a693f4ac8541d7e1f)

Munsu
Sun, 05-04-2008, 01:12 AM
For those waiting for Rumbel like I was:

Soul Eater 4 Delayed.
Hey people, sorry for the delay, but the episode is 2/3 done and it can not be encoded till the day I return which will be Wednesday or Thursday this week. Also do not pester or inendate the staff with questions regarding this as it will probably just annoy them. So, until then, have a good week and good luck on exams or whatever. *Goes back to prepping for his trip.* PS: Keep reading this post as to any updates, check here (http://rumbel-subs.com/).

Might take a look at the Tadashi version later if I get impatient.

Everon
Sun, 05-04-2008, 04:33 AM
Whats the difference between the LATE SHOW and primetime version?

Munsu
Sun, 05-04-2008, 05:16 AM
Whats the difference between the LATE SHOW and primetime version?
At this point, nothing of substance... maybe some added scenes after the episode is done, like for introducing the next episode, more ecchi ads in the intermissions, etc. Don't know if it'll change in future episodes, but from what I've seen there's little difference if any to the episode itself.

Well, I tried watching the Tadashi version, and it was pissing me off with their term usage and questioning editing and translation.

By the way, they weren't sent for 'maintenance', they were sent for 'supplementary lessons' - that's what 'hoshuu' means, in this instance in particular. This is were I decided to stop watching.

I won't touch AEN, so hopefully Rumbel or someone else releases it soon.

Munsu
Wed, 05-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Even though I didn't like their episode 4...by Tadashi:
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=18176

Darknodin
Wed, 05-07-2008, 05:52 PM
By the way, they weren't sent for 'maintenance', they were sent for 'supplementary lessons' - that's what 'hoshuu' means, in this instance in particular.

oh... that makes sense. much more sense.

Darknodin
Wed, 05-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Well, the obvious happened. wonder when the three-eyed Han-Rasen are gonna appear.

pretty interesting ep.

animus
Wed, 05-07-2008, 08:42 PM
The obvious? Yeah, ok I totally don't believe that you were expecting that.

Munsu
Thu, 05-08-2008, 05:13 AM
Rumbel episode 4 Late Night xvid version:
http://tracker.anirena.com/details.php?returnto=%2Fg.php%3Fg%3D317%26page%3D0&id=6634

The h264 version you can currently get from their IRC channel, haven't found a torrent at the moment. Will edit this post when I do.

Edit for h264:
http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=6637

Chiodos
Fri, 05-09-2008, 03:46 AM
As some poster way above me mention, I did also like that they had to use regular skillz and more teamwork than just crazy upgraded powerup, wich was very cool indeed.

And for someone like me, who has mostly just not seen many team based fight scenes I did enjoy their work together in this episode!
I'm quite eager to watch the all three fight against a big problem random dude!

Munsu
Fri, 05-09-2008, 04:28 AM
A couple of scenes were skipped in the episode, like the interrogation of Sid after they caught him which was quite funny in the manga.

Good episode, nice action and the Witch Hunt was great. They put the Bleach-like Ichigo powerup song in the background and then they fuck it up... good stuff.

boilerph
Fri, 05-09-2008, 06:36 AM
A couple of scenes were skipped in the episode, like the interrogation of Sid after they caught him which was quite funny in the manga.

Yeah, this is driving me crazy. Why do they have an "uncut" version if they are still cutting out or toning down all of the fan service. The manga seems to be getting away from it to some extent so it seems that there isn't going to be an actual reason for the second showing.

Munsu
Fri, 05-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Yeah, this is driving me crazy. Why do they have an "uncut" version if they are still cutting out or toning down all of the fan service. The manga seems to be getting away from it to some extent so it seems that there isn't going to be an actual reason for the second showing.
It was simply a fun scene, nothing of critical value to the plot. They need to fit everything to 22 minutes or so for an episode, so the scene didn't make it. Nothing here to complain about, though it would be fun to see it. Thing is that "uncut" is a random label the fansub group gave to the airing, it's really known as Late Night Show... can't take the "uncut" label to heart.

Kraco
Sun, 05-11-2008, 05:42 AM
Maybe he's a manga reader and thus totally expected it? I was a manga reader, but luckily I stopped right before this encounter, and thus didn't see it coming. It was quite interesting and believable in the sense that the Screwhead was made so... academic and without malice that either way his way of fighting would have made sense.

It's funny how Black Star is a genius of fighting but his basic character makes him somewhat useless most of the time.

Ryllharu
Sun, 05-11-2008, 07:39 AM
There's really no way you'd expect that Stein was really a good guy unless you read the manga. He's too creepy, way too sadistic, and too evil looking (except for the whole chair thing). Death Scythe's explanation to Blair supports the idea even further, that he's some super genius from the Shibusen that was too interested in his own creepy scientific studies than being a Meistar. There is a very intentional path towards guiding the viewers in the direction that he "went astray."

Stein even appears in the OP with the creepy looking witch in the background, and is in the set of the evil looking characters.

The only supporting argument for it is that it's a little early for the "last boss" kind of character to show up.

---------------------------

That aside, Stein's deskchair fighting style is one of the most imaginative and interesting to watch fighting methods out of a lot of series I've seen. It lets him come off as super casual, and therefore that much more powerful. He's not at all worried about anything they could do to him.

I can't think of any significance of the bolt in his head. It just looks like a nervous tick.

I also like Death the Kid's little freakouts. This one was great, especially since Patty starts laughing completely insanely in the background. She might be just as bad as Stein is.

EDIT:

AEN's it out by the way. It's a whole hell of a lot better than Tadashi's. They've improved a lot for Soul Eater, but still not my preferred version.

[AEN] Soul Eater - 05 (http://bt.animeen.com/show-bdc619e57b180a36e64d8f82885ebbcf1e85d043.html)

Darknodin
Sun, 05-11-2008, 08:55 AM
The obvious? Yeah, ok I totally don't believe that you were expecting that.

uhm... i said so in the last thread. mind you, I thought i was wrong at a point during the fight, but c'mon even then it was still kinda obvious. Shinigami is a good guy, as in he seems to care about people. he was acting more detached then in the previous battles. The teacher guy didn't kill them while he should have been way more powerful. and Stein spent an awful lot of time letting them recuperate (hell, even the cat lady was more agressive). oh and the fact that the whole mission was called "Supplementary Lessons".

I don't read the manga, its just that this wasn't very well hidden (that made it funnier imo)

Assassin
Sun, 05-11-2008, 10:32 PM
so, if stiens not the major villain of the series, i wonder who is. And was killind sid and turning him into a zombie part of the the supplementary lessons? its seems pretty fucked up to kill a guy just to fool a bunch of students.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-11-2008, 11:26 PM
Rumbel Episode 05 HD (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=6769)

Munsu
Mon, 05-12-2008, 03:46 AM
so, if stiens not the major villain of the series, i wonder who is. And was killind sid and turning him into a zombie part of the the supplementary lessons? its seems pretty fucked up to kill a guy just to fool a bunch of students.
I don't buy the "obvious" part. Just because you suspect that something may be up, doesn't mean that it is obviously so. There's enough evidence to suggest that he was really a bad guy for it to have been obvious, especially when he kicked Black Star's ass the way he did. And the supplemental lesson thing is really incosequential, since pretty much many if not most of these missions these students are doing could be considered or are supplemental lessons.

From what I undestand Sid wasn't killed to be made into a Zombie. He died on some mission or something, and Stein simply made him a Zombie.

Darknodin
Mon, 05-12-2008, 09:47 PM
The thing is, I agree that when he started beating up Black Star i wasn't sure. but i was talking in relation to the previous ep. i mean, from that ep it was kinda evident that Sid was not what he said he was.
and, aside of Black Star, Stein didn't seem like he wanted to kill them or even beat them up too much. anyways, by the end of the first ep, it was kind of obvious that Sid wasn't a bad guy which made it kinda obvious that the whole thing was a set up.

btw... the bad guys are probably gonna be those three-eyed things we see in the OP.

Kraco
Tue, 05-13-2008, 02:25 AM
and, aside of Black Star, Stein didn't seem like he wanted to kill them or even beat them up too much.

Of course he didn't. He gave the impression they should be more or less in their original shape so that he could alter them any way he wanted. He had nothing personal against the students and rather treated them as scientific samples to study.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-13-2008, 03:14 AM
Good episode and all. Too bad there wasn't any Tsubaki action. :(. I can't say whether it was obvious Stein was bad or not, since I was spoilt by Gotwoot.

narutosharingan
Wed, 05-14-2008, 12:47 AM
I gotta say I'm really enjoying this. It's very quirky, but good too.

These 3 couples make for some great action. I too love Death the Kid's crazy symmetrical rants.

xtallography
Wed, 05-14-2008, 01:12 PM
I can't think of any significance of the bolt in his head. It just looks like a nervous tick.

When Makka was able to see Stein's soul it looked like it had a ginormous bolt in it as well. I wonder if that's how he's constantly retuning his souls wavelength.

*my first post... be gentle*

Ryllharu
Wed, 05-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Generally, I figured the souls looked that way to be distinctive (well, sort of distinctive anyway). Maka's has twintails, Tsubaki's has a pony tail, Soul's has the pointy teeth he has, and the moron's has his spiky hair.

But you've got a really good point there. Didn't think about that one.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-14-2008, 05:44 PM
I'd be interesting to see Kid's. I bet you it's not symetrical.

Munsu
Wed, 05-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Maybe we'll see in the next episode, since apparently he's going to go at it against Soul and Black Star... though I don't know if Maka is around to see his soul, and I don't think Black Star is capable of seeing them right?

Ryllharu
Wed, 05-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Black Star is a total moron about anything outside of fighting (which he's a genius at) so I'd guess he doesn't see them. Whereas Stein and Maka seem to fight more intellectually, Black Star is all instinct. Even if he could see them, would he really look for information he could get out of them or even care at all?

Are only technicians able to see them, and not the weapons?

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Are only technicians able to see them, and not the weapons?

I don't think so, since both technicians and weapons need the skill to tune their souls together to create something like a Witch Hunter. I believe seeing other's soul is an extension off that skill. As Stein said before, he can see other's wavelength and tune his to theirs to neutralise their attack.

Even if he could see them, would he really look for information he could get out of them or even care at all?

If it's bigger than his he would.

Munsu
Wed, 05-14-2008, 07:02 PM
That's a good question, I was assuming that only the Meisters were able to see them, but maybe the weapons too, and it goes without saying that also the Shinigamis should. But so far, all seems to point to only the Meisters, since they have been defaulting to them so far... I think Tsubaki was wondering about Black Star... if weapons would be able to see them, I would think that Tsubaki would be capable. With that said, I don't think this anime would have a strict rule about it, since it's whacky enough to bullshit it's way through any given situation.

narutosharingan
Wed, 05-14-2008, 08:14 PM
I didn't think Soul was able to see it, just Maka. So then I'd assume only Technicians could see them

Kraco
Thu, 05-15-2008, 01:56 AM
That's a hasty conclusion, based on one weapon. Soul is competent enough but hardly any model student. Perhaps if somebody told him it's cool to see the souls, he would train to do so...

If somebody told Black Star all big men have seen the souls, he would also strive to learn the skill. However, I reckon this series works better when those dudes and dudettes are somewhat flawed in various ways.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-16-2008, 05:17 PM
[AEN] Soul Eater 06 HD [1280X720 H.264].mp4 (http://bt.animeen.com/down.php?date=1210906029&hash=c0cb9459a508d499d376a790613b58a5e705681e)

-----------------------------------------
Funnier. Cooler. Best episode to date.

animus
Fri, 05-16-2008, 10:16 PM
I laughed a good amount this episode.

Ryllharu
Sat, 05-17-2008, 05:40 AM
I laughed a lot.

Between constantly asserting that Liz and Patty are "from the streets, yo" to all the incredibly stupid things Black Star and Soul were doing.

The part that really got me was when Black Star caught Soul with his head, squeezed his hair together to stop the bleeding, and then struggled to lift Soul, causing him to spout a fountain of blood that increased every time he strained harder.

Patty's psycho laugh makes a bit more sense now though. She probably is an insane killer, but now laughs it off since she has the easy life.

We also got a very clear answer on our question of who can see souls and who can't among the three teams. Tsubaki is still a little unclear, but if Black Star can't, it's either a special skill only the highly trained or disciplined can see, and it doesn't stick to "technicians can, weapons can't."

Kraco
Sat, 05-17-2008, 06:51 AM
A great episode. I wonder though why Black Star and Soul were so totally incompatible considering they are otherwise so similar: One wants to be Cool and one Big, and both ready to do goofy deeds for that end. You'd think they would have at least some harmony of souls. Unless it's so that the souls indeed need to be quite different yet supporting of each other in order to work in appropriate harmony. In that case the similarity between Soul and Black Star would explain this ep.

In any case Tsubaki is a real saint to tolerate someone like Black Star. That guy is a total and complete idiot.

Ryllharu
Sat, 05-17-2008, 07:23 AM
It's because they are so alike that they aren't compatible at all. Both of them are attention whores who want to do things Cool and Big.

If they are both trying to run the whole show and...well, show off, then they're competing rather than harmonizing. All ego, and like Black Star keeps repeating, you can't have two stars.

Tsubaki works because she's more than happy to let Black Star lead. She has infinite patience and tolerance, at least so far. Maka and Soul work for a different reason. Maka wants to succeed, and Soul wants to do everything "cool." They are towards the same goal, but compliment each other since Maka doesn't mind being a little to the side as long as everything goes smoothly and Soul is happy to let her take the lead as long as it all looks very cool (and with Maka's skills at scythe wielding, it usually does). Maka and Soul share the stage, equally.

Munsu
Sat, 05-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Just making this thread so that people can talk about interesting news stories or articles that concern Soul Eater.

With that said, apparently there are two anime specials being made for the series:

The official Japanese website for the Soul Eater anime seres has announced that two specials will air in Japan in two weeks. The "Clip! Clap!" special will air on May 28 at 26:50 (effectively 2:50 a.m. the next day), and the "Ninki Bakuhatsu! Soul Eater Oitsuke! Oikose! Saki made Misemasu!" special program will air on June 1 at 10:30 a.m.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-05-17/two-soul-eater-anime-specials-to-air-in-japan

Assassin
Sun, 05-18-2008, 04:00 AM
hmm...is this a normal occurance, for a program to have 2 special episodes like that? Does it mean that Soul Eater is really popular in japan?

Munsu
Sun, 05-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Certainly not a normal occurance I think. What I want to know is if this is similar to the "Naruto one hour specials" which is simply 2 episodes aired back to back, or will this specials will simply be new material in addition to the series episodes.

Chiodos
Mon, 05-19-2008, 12:38 PM
But wasnt it mention that their Souls wherent synchronized, thus the reason the first Soul Resonece went totally failure?
And I did also love the last scene in this episode, for just some reason...

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-19-2008, 07:10 PM
But wasnt it mention that their Souls wherent synchronized, thus the reason the first Soul Resonece went totally failure?
And I did also love the last scene in this episode, for just some reason...

Are you referring to episode 4 where Soul and Maka used Resonance of Souls? If so, it actually succeeded, and you could see the Witch Hunter Scythe. Maka was just clumsy and directed the attack at Black Star instead.

Idealistic
Tue, 05-20-2008, 11:44 AM
I laughed a good amount this episode.

As did I. Especially the part where Soul and Black Star started talking about how they can't be together anymore. LOL.

"Soulllllll-alalallalalalalalala".

Munsu
Thu, 05-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Finally some Rumbel, Late Night Version:
http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=7179

Will watch tonight hopefully.

Yukimura
Thu, 05-22-2008, 08:21 PM
The new Rumbel typesetting is not sitting well with me.

Inazuma
Fri, 05-23-2008, 06:08 AM
Finally, the series' warmup is finally over, time for some action (Drama?).

Sapphire
Fri, 05-23-2008, 10:35 AM
[AEN] Soul Eater 07 HD [1280X720 H.264].mp4 (http://bt.animeen.com/show-62f730eed7dbe8f0635d4e76a53ebaf30d8fca5d.html)

Munsu
Fri, 05-23-2008, 10:42 AM
The new Rumbel typesetting is not sitting well with me.
They fucked up in this episode alone, they forgot to attach the fonts... here they are in case you want to attach them yourself:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8f15dl

Or you can just install the fonts in your pc, it'll work just the same.

Ryllharu
Fri, 05-23-2008, 06:40 PM
AEN's translation was much worse than normal. It clearly didn't go through any kind of QC, lots of obvious errors. They had been improving so much with Soul Eater too.

Anyway...it is time to discuss a few details about Chrona.

Not that I can read Japanese, but there are plenty of people who can, and they've been fairly open about stating that Soul Eater's official site lists Chrona's gender as "Unknown."

The dialogue supports it. Chrona refers in the first person with "boku." Intentionally ambiguous. Chrona also says several times, "I'm not good with girls." Leading us to the conclusion that Chrona is a boy. Yet, Chrona is rail thin, and wears a dress. Chrona has no figure, so for all we know it could be priestly robes (and the design kind of looks like that).

Chrona is played by Maaya Sakamoto, someone who is well known for playing girlish boys, and boyish girls. Again, I'm sure the casting was chosen very carefully with that in mind. The effect is lost in the English translation versus the Japanese, because we do not have many genderless or ambiguous pronouns for people.

Chrona's gender goes unverified for a very long time in the manga. I believe that any confirmation of Chrona's gender should be considered a spoiler.

But feel free to speculate away.

That said, I've always thought Chrona was a girl. Chrona wears a dress...therefore Chrona is a girl. Then again, my judgment on traps is really not all that great.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Well, there's supposedly a QCer, according to the opening credits. Obviously didn't do their job properly though.

The episode itself was was an interesting introduction for Chrona. I thought Chrona's gender was a bit ambiguous at first, but then got kinda convinced that she's a boy from the English. At least now I know it's not defined.

Next episode is worth looking forward to though. Serious Stein with Death Scythe just oozes awesomeness. But really, I hope AEN picks up their slack, or I'll seriously consider forking out that extra bit of my quota for some decent subs.

Everon
Sat, 05-24-2008, 01:23 AM
Chrona is a girl.

Sapphire
Sat, 05-24-2008, 01:56 PM
For the record, I think he's a guy for the weird way he stared at that girl. And I think I'm going to quit watching this so I can marathon it later. <3 Soul Eater!

Munsu
Sat, 05-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Chrona is a shemale.

Yukimura
Sat, 05-24-2008, 05:02 PM
http://rumbel-subs.com/comments.php?tid=101

If you've never installed new fonts before scroll down to DmonHiro's explanation of how to install them.

Munsu
Wed, 05-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Here's 7 by Rumbel:
http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=7422

MasterOfMoogles
Wed, 05-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Have there actually been any differences between the regular and late night versions?

Ryllharu
Wed, 05-28-2008, 08:00 PM
There is usually an extended preview (often the first minute or two of the next episode) and there are stupid little "quiz" additions (often jokes about Death the Kidd's OCD).

Though one time, the OP was at the end of the episode instead of the beginning, followed immediately by the ED.

Munsu
Thu, 05-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Well, good episode... Sonson J cleary a shout out to Jason. Finally introduced my favorite character in the series right next to Dr. Stein, Medusa. Hopefully we'll see more of her in the next episode.

Ragnarok is badass, and Chrona is creepy as hell... love his shifty eyes. Huge cliffhanger at the end of the episode... Soul got sliced up pretty good.

Kraco
Thu, 05-29-2008, 06:28 PM
This episode illustrated Maka's weakness quite nicely. I always thought she's the serious honour student type who does her jobs following the textbook, or at least tries to, with the disclaimer of being paired with Soul The Cool. However, right now she's totally at loss when she's facing someone quite completely unexpected. She's lacking in the ability to think out of the box in a bad situation being so bound by the good student rules, and, furthermore, she seems to lack, still though that will no doubt change, the trait that is concentrated in Soul and Black Star: Utter trust in oneself. Although it grants her exceptional perception but being so analytical might also hamper her in a pinch; somebody once said that in a fight the worst thing to do isn't making a bad choice but failing to make any choice.

Bleach4Me
Sat, 05-31-2008, 12:04 PM
Have not seen it posted yet and have not seen it subbed by the normal groups. Not the greatest quality but there is a streaming subbed version out for those who want to take a look.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v13849387hTFxE8Fb

Only create an episode thread once a fansub version is out.
Read the rules next time

Munsu
Sun, 06-01-2008, 02:14 AM
Here's by AEN:
http://bt.animeen.com//down.php?date=1212283855&hash=d416255d13b89f894398980aef350ca03e90de83

Ryllharu
Sun, 06-01-2008, 06:46 AM
I love the Chrona/Ragnarok comedy duo. It just abuses her/him all the time, and then Chrona adds a bit to it just by making all those really weird faces when Ragnarok is insulting the opponents.

But with Ragnarok infused into Chrona's blood, that makes for one fearsome opponent. Stein combined with Death Scythe should be a overwhelming powerful opponent, but Chrona and Ragnarok hold their own pretty well since the more damage you do to the pair, the more tools they have to kill you. The only solution is the one Stein went with, real fast and real hard.

Not to mention Medusa. Loved the way they animate her vector attack.

Next week looks like a light-hearted fun episode. Black Star together with Death the Kidd? Should be really funny.

Munsu
Mon, 06-02-2008, 05:43 PM
9 by gg:
http://ggkthx.org/Torrents/[gg]_Soul_Eater_-_09_[8D1A6996].mkv.torrent

Would appreciate an opinion on the quality and how it compares to AEN and the rest of the speedsubs.

Ryllharu
Mon, 06-02-2008, 07:40 PM
The translation is good (the same as any of their other series if you are familiar with them). Better QC than AEN, no surprise there, and the sentences flow well.

Just don't expect to see another episode subbed by them. gg is fairly vocal about this being subbed only because there was no Code Geass this week (and it even says that right after the OP).

My only problem with their translation is their choice of terms. I prefer AEN's "technician" over Rumble's "Meistar" and gg's "Master", and gg opts to translate "Kishin" into "Demon God" which while correct, doesn't seem to fit the context of the series all that well. In Soul Eater, "Kishin" seems more like a proper noun than some other term, a title rather than a description.

It's mostly personal taste, but their quality is good. I got a little lag during the OP (just like I do with the Code Geass releases) and that seems to just be a standard of gg's not-quite-optimized encoding on HD releases, or it's whatever they do to their karaoke. AEN and Rumble (and Eclipse for CG) have never given me the problems gg releases do during OP sequences.

I say go for it while you wait for Rumble or whoever.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-03-2008, 12:16 AM
I wonder why the lagging thing happens to some but not others...

I had a friend who complained about HD mkv lagging, and I found her to have both CCCP and vlc installed. got rid of one, and it smoothed out, but this doesn't seem to be the issue here.

meh, /watches

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Stein's style seems to work for him, but I remember that episode where they said that normally, Meisters have to use a Weapon to amplify their soul waves, while Stein and Black Star don't. Shouldn't that mean that if Stein channels his already potent soul wave through Death Scythe, that it'll be even more destructive than what it is now?

Either way, he kicked ass. I just find it hard to believe, like Ryll said, that Stein, and even Shinigami-sama is fooled by Medusa. (not at all surprsied at Papa though.)

Ryllharu
Tue, 06-03-2008, 03:44 AM
My problem is only with gg's. I actually pay for CoreAVC, so nothing outside of Blu-Ray rips should be an issue for me. It's got to be some issue with their karaoke and the way they encode.

In any case, the eps was funny. Kidd and BlackStar make an even funnier duo than each alone.

But with all the talk between Maka and Death Scythe, I'm really beginning to wonder what Maka's mother looks like and is doing now? We know she's alive and well. What would a technician do after they've raised a weapon to a death scythe for Shinigami-sama?

Chiodos
Tue, 06-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Either way, he kicked ass. I just find it hard to believe, like Ryll said, that Stein, and even Shinigami-sama is fooled by Medusa. (not at all surprsied at Papa though.)

Then I'd guess it's the true power of a witch, to "camo" herself as they did explain in this episode. What I really did like is Steins fighting style. It was just so freakin' clean!

Chiodos
Tue, 06-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Which raises the question, does Shinigama-sama need all this weapons and why? Why doesn't he really have his own personal weapon? And what happens to the old one after he gained a new one? Kinda like....thrown away?

I don't know if this show has thought about it so far but it is should be way many more out there who should be close competive to Stein & Co. "Just" raisiing your weapon to be Shinigami-sama's just seem a little...............weak, maybe?

Yukimura
Tue, 06-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Wtf mistake post...

Ryllharu
Tue, 06-03-2008, 03:50 PM
It seems like the task is very hard indeed. So far, we actually only know of one weapon that has been completed, and that would be Maka's papa.

We've seen what Medusa is capable of (at least a little taste anyway) and she's a "true witch" unlike the loli earlier or Blair who only seems like one. That alone should show how hard the task really is. Getting that final witch soul is easily 100 times harder than getting the other 99 demon souls.

So maybe Maka's loser papa is a bad example. He certainly doesn't display any reason why he would be that superior of a weapon. We only got to see him used as a shield in Stein's hands, since he opted to attack Chrona directly.

In addition, it certainly gives us another view of what Maka's mother must be like. Maybe Stein is stronger than she is...and maybe he's not.

animus
Tue, 06-03-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm sure Stein is stronger, with Maka's mother having a heavier reliance on Deathscythe.

Anyways, this episode was hilarious. That annoyed face is amazing, and I guess they're meeting another famous named sword next episode.

vejita613
Tue, 06-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Actually ive been waiting for this episode since this series started. When I first read the manga, I could not stop laughing. Then when I heard Mu La Flagas seiyu was going to be excaliburs voice, that made me even more excited to see the episode. And I was not disappointed. The way excalibur says "baka" is just classic to me.

Everon
Wed, 06-04-2008, 04:45 AM
When Kid started cleaning the handle, I ended up bursting into laughter. The mangaka really knows how to let his characters run wild.

Assassin
Wed, 06-04-2008, 09:54 AM
love this ep...this one really took the series to a whole new level. i hope we have more battles like this in the coming eps

Assassin
Thu, 06-05-2008, 08:03 PM
i guess masamune will be that frog from the intro. i wonder what part they'll play later in the series

The Heretic Azazel
Thu, 06-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Excalibur was the intro frog..

Assassin
Sun, 06-08-2008, 10:56 PM
hmm, i could've sword there were 2 animal like things in the intro..guess i was seeing things. Maybe its that red imp/goblin then.

Bleach4Me
Thu, 06-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Never heard of the group before but its out

By Tadashi
Soul Eater 10 720p H264 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=22205)

Quality seemed OK to me. Did see some QA errors but not bad.

Good Ep had some nice background on BlackStar.

Kraco
Fri, 06-13-2008, 01:05 PM
I watched this sub:

Episode 10 - Black-Lotus (http://black-lotus.edwardk.info/%5BBlack-Lotus%5D%20Soul%20Eater%2010%20x264%20HD%20%5B81FA 207C%5D.mp4.torrent)

It could have used QC and more meticulous translation but it was understandable, especially if you know a few common Japanese words.

An interesting episode to say the least, and showed a bit different Black Star. Based on this episode I reckon the BIG attitude of his isn't 100% truthful. Maybe he acts like that, even though mostly naturally probably, but partly because he wants to mask something from himself and others. He must have been a pretty lonely child having had all of his clan killed and then having been raised by strangers, yet still probably hearing his late clan was made of monsters. I guess his only choices were to either become cold and detached or to behave in the goofy manner we are used to under such circumstances.

It's still unclear what Tsubaki's history is but after this episode I think those two belong to each others company even more than I used to think. It's not anymore just the fact that a saint like Tsubaki is needed to tolerate Black Star's idiocy.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Soul Eater - 07v2 Rumbel (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=8203)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Soul Eater - 08 Rumbel (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=8204)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Soul Eater - 09 Rumbel (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=8206)

ForteCross
Tue, 06-17-2008, 02:51 PM
any particular difference?

Kraco
Wed, 06-18-2008, 04:09 AM
Tsubaki's fight, Black Star's fright:

Episode 11 - Tadashi (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=23029)

- - - - - - - - -

Edit: An excellent episode. This is surely turning out to be one of the best series of the year. Continuing the last episode it also shows how Black Star actually have more sides than the Big one. Even Tsubaki shows a little bit of herself, though I guess in the end there really aren't any deeper mysteries there: She just is like that.

The last scene with the new weapon mode was masterful and SO fitting for Black Star.

One thing that struck me, again, when Black Star and Tsubaki returned to the academy, was how well they have depicted the relationships between the characters. You have buddies in every show but for some reason it feels unnaturally natural how Soul and Black Star treat each other, and even Death The Kid nowadays.

Archangel
Wed, 06-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Better quality text, not many subbers do a better job than those guys when it comes to soul eater

Besu
Fri, 06-20-2008, 03:14 PM
How is Tadashi's subbing?

Kraco
Fri, 06-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Not that bad. Perfectly understandable. I'll eventually replace it with Rumbel, but it's easily good enough for watching.

Bleach4Me
Wed, 06-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Tadashi
Soul Eater 12 720p (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=23927)

At work so I have not looked at it yet.

Apparently Tadashi is not a group but a single guy who does all the translation/encoding. He also has links for Soul Eater 1-12 in HD at his web blog.

tadashisubs.wordpress.com (http://tadashisubs.wordpress.com/)

Assassin
Sun, 06-29-2008, 03:23 PM
we finally get to see the witch again. wonder who that man is

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Sure sounds like the typical shounen guy who needs to be the top so others stop looking down on him. Not that we've seen that happen yet, but rumors travel like the wind at schools. I'm expecting Tsubaki to lose her battle next episode, and we have a Dark Tsubaki vs Black.Star faceoff.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if people choose to be either a weapon or a meister, or are born as one/born predispositioned to one.

Archangel
Tue, 07-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Just watched it, really great episode. I enjoyed getting to know more about Black Star and the fighting scene was incredible too, but i did miss some of the great comedy the show usually has, although i guess it's inevitable since they were dealing with such a serious matter.

Kraco
Wed, 07-02-2008, 04:20 AM
London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down...

Episode 13 - Tadashi (http://datorrents.com/download/36761--tadashi-soul-eater-13-720p-h264-aac-mp4/)

NeoBear
Thu, 07-03-2008, 08:26 PM
...jesus 350 meg why are these alwasy so big bleah X(

Kraco
Fri, 07-04-2008, 02:11 AM
350 MB is starting to be, or actually already is, the standard size for high quality 720p releases. I used to wonder if it isn't unnecessary big but with so many groups aiming for it with projects of high production values I can't deny the wisdom of it; if many encoders think that's the size needed for retaining the video quality, then that must be it.

It was a pretty good episode as well. Looks like the black blood is there to stay for now. It also seems quite potent, although also highly dangerous. It's not like Maaka and Soul would have done anything really extraordinary yet Soul almost lost the control. I wonder what will happen when they face an opponent less clumsy and really need to fight for their lives.

And Black Star is still an idiot but that's no news...

oyabun
Sun, 07-06-2008, 01:07 AM
The imp kinda scary. Glad he didn't dance in this episode.

xtallography
Sun, 07-06-2008, 01:19 AM
The whole imp sequences remind me a lot of twin peaks... except people aren't speaking in reverse or something... although I still need subtitles to understand what they are actually saying.

Munsu
Mon, 07-07-2008, 07:18 PM
The whole imp sequences remind me a lot of twin peaks... except people aren't speaking in reverse or something... although I still need subtitles to understand what they are actually saying.
I haven't watched the episode yet, but I've read the manga and I have to agree... completely like Twin Peaks, with the midget and the dead chick talking crap with some wierd music... there was some dancing too right? And the whole giant thing.

Very creepy. Never finished the series though, I stopped a couple of episodes into season 2... got to get on that.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-09-2008, 03:26 AM
Soul Eater 14 - Tadashi release. (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=9501)

Is there much difference between Tadashi and Rumbel subs? (I've been watching the Rumbel versions)

Kraco
Wed, 07-09-2008, 04:30 AM
I think Tadashi might be a one man group. It has occasional typos and such but it's not that bad at all. However, I'll archive Rumbel if for no other reason then for consistency's sake. That being said, I watch Tadashi's subs as they are released because seriously Rumbel is always a few eps behind and Soul Eater is one of those series I want to watch soon enough, not weeks after.

Archangel
Wed, 07-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Dam this episode rocked and not just because the animation was so freaking awesome!

The new mode for tsubaki is the coolest thing ever and the fight between the siblings was off the charts!

Overall GREAT FUC**NG EPISODE

Archangel
Wed, 07-09-2008, 05:16 PM
It is a one man group. I'll archive Rumbel because they do the Night version of the show and with perfect subbing.

That said, Tadashi is doing a great job considering he's doing it all on his own.

The Heretic Azazel
Wed, 07-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Funniest episode yet. Death the Kid taking all hour to write his name, Black Star writing his name in blood on the board when Soul thought he was giving him answers, and Deathscythe leaving it up to Blair to buy a gift for Maka. I wonder why Maka hates her father so much.

And that sound that Black Star made when Stein caught him reading off the test questions, could not have been human.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-09-2008, 07:10 PM
I can't wait till Black*Star learns to handle Demon Blade Mode.

I just remembered that when all these Soul Eater threads are merged, posts are going to be in chronological order. It wasn't a big deal with Druaga, when most people watched the streams and commented on that, but with split members watching mostly Tadashi or Rumbel subs, we'll have to either think of something out, or just make sure we keep quoting the right thread so it's not a mess later.

Kraco
Thu, 07-10-2008, 02:17 AM
I wanted to see how well Tsubaki performed in the test... Was it shown in Japanese, even if not translated? I haven't paid attention to how her name is written.

Anyway it was a very funny episode indeed, and Maaka's dad really should have known better. Giving a task AND the money to an ero-cat? Well, it has been shown many times before he's not exactly any smart fellow, and seeing how Maaka is, and probably also her mom, that might be one reason why she doesn't like him.

And like you said, the scene in which Soul expected a hint and Black Star only wrote his own name was masterful.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 07-10-2008, 04:29 PM
The Tadashi version also has several translation errors, but nothing that will ruin the show. Its pretty good if its a one man project.

My favorite part was when Black Star was trying to steal the exam questions. Screaming while sneaking in is so like him, but the delivery was fucking hilarious.

EDIT: @Kraco - Tsubaki got 27th place with 81 points. I am actually surprised she is so average.

Kraco
Thu, 07-10-2008, 05:07 PM
I think that suits the image Tsubaki's giving me. Well, if she was better I wouldn't protest that either, but let's not forget she doesn't show much ambition in general. You can go through high-school in the high group with just a dutiful attitude but after that (or likely also in special/elite high-schools) you gotta show a real drive if you want to be near the top. Tsubaki is a bit enigmatic character in my opinion. It's hard to judge her as she doesn't bring herself forth at all. Even her flashbacks showed a kid who only followed others and did what others wanted to do.

I think a huge chunk of her current performance, earning the 27th place but still infinitely higher than Black Stars, is due to the fact she doesn't want to slow down Black Star. If she has any ambition, that could be it.

Still, once again, if I'm wrong I won't be protesting. She could have a far more complicated personality and some heavy history.

Bleach4Me
Thu, 07-10-2008, 06:12 PM
I laughed alot this episode especially near the end. Death the Kid and the sisters were great as well as Blackstar/Soul blood autograph.....hilarious.

Thats why I like this show good action but alot of good laughs as well.

oyabun
Wed, 07-16-2008, 07:07 AM
i wish the fillers could focus more on the story. The comedy is good but I don't want a rush ending again... I believe this is a 24 episode anime? 26?

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-16-2008, 07:32 AM
i wish the fillers could focus more on the story. The comedy is good but I don't want a rush ending again... I believe this is a 24 episode anime? 26?

oyabun
Wed, 07-16-2008, 07:36 AM

Oh I see, thanks. I guess tsubaki's arch is over, I hope they focus more on Maka and Soul. Hows the manga anyway?

Ryllharu
Wed, 07-16-2008, 03:27 PM
It's not really filler, since the material is in the manga. Moreover, I think the humor in Soul Eater is what makes the series what it is. The serious parts feel more serious when they are sandwiched between the lighthearted parts. Like the parts with BlackStar sitting beside Tsubaki as she went about her personal business. He's a moron who can't study, doesn't stay in class, doesn't take the majority of his assignments seriously, but when it comes down to it, BlackStar stands by his principles. He believes in honorable combat (like why he didn't take the 99 souls and kill the young defenseless witch), and he believes in standing by those he cares about the most.

This episode really develops Maka if you think about it. Maka seems solely motivated in living up to her nigh-perfect mother, while hating her dad, who is simply misguided (who in the hell would trust Blair?). We really haven't gotten to see all that much of Maka's personality so far. But the drive in both her and Soul is the same, both want to succeed completely and utterly, they just display it in very different ways.

Patty is still my favorite. Her borderline-psycho-killer-creepy laugh gets me laughing every time. Talk about someone who takes it easy.

...and we get to compare her with Liz, who came off here almost as image conscious as Kidd.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-17-2008, 01:27 AM
[Tadashi] SOUL EATER - 15 (720p h264-AAC).mp4 (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=9961)

Kraco
Thu, 07-17-2008, 05:05 AM
Looks like Ragnar&#246;k will have a harder time against Death the Kid than Maka. Though of course that's no surprise considering what he is. In any case this should allow us to see how good a fighter Death the Kid really is if it goes on long enough.

Assassin
Sat, 07-19-2008, 12:14 AM
how did ragnarok not become a kisshin after eating all those souls? And also, was the pirate ghost referring to Soul when he said the souls weren't for ragnarok....how is Soul closer to becoming a kisshin then ragnarok?

Kraco
Sat, 07-19-2008, 02:55 AM
It seems a bit strange if the ghost was talking about Soul in my opinion. Of course it's possible Medusa activated the ship for that purpose but honestly there's no way right now to make Soul suddenly eat 100 (innocent) human souls. He would first need to lose control of himself (and take over Maka) in a bad fight. It would be premature to orchestrate human souls for Soul at this point. I don't honestly know who he was talking about if he said the truth. Although it's also possible he simply didn't know what he was talking about.

Archangel
Sun, 07-20-2008, 04:01 PM
The guy that does the red demon's voice is the same that does Jiraya right?

Bleach4Me
Wed, 07-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Soul Eater 16 (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=10355) is out by Tadashi

oyabun
Sun, 07-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Nice episode!! The scene in the clinic where Stein and Medusa was so intense. And I liked the part where Stein was shaking all around. Its just shows how powerful true witches are.

NM
Thu, 07-31-2008, 02:42 PM
Kid not being able to write the K in his name properly and seeing the crap kicked out of Black Star (and using the blood from his nose to write his name) were quite possibly the greatest things ever. I love the humor in this series so much. If they did a pure filler arc with all the SE humor I would not be disappointed at all.

I'm glad I decided to check out Tadashi's subs now. It was worth checking out for this episode alone. :D

Bleach4Me
Fri, 08-01-2008, 06:14 PM
By Tadashi
Soul Eater 17 (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=10927)

I have heard its a pretty funny ep. Downloading now.

xtallography
Sat, 08-02-2008, 12:41 AM
What a pointless and moderately annoying ep. I chuckled when they used "pencil" as an exclamation but other than that the only good part was the preview of the next episode.

Was there really a manga chapter about that?

Splash!
Sat, 08-02-2008, 01:12 AM
I did not watch this episode, but judging from the preview from the last episode, I am pretty sure it is filler.

NM
Sat, 08-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Eh...I wasn't really feeling it with this episode. Last one was so much more funnier than this one. Only thing I liked was getting to hear Excalibur's VA again (its downright perfect for him).

Preview looks very interesting, can't wait for next week's episode.

oyabun
Sun, 08-03-2008, 07:09 AM
Just watched the first part for about 5 minutes or so and skipped everything. Its really annoying to look at Excalibur's weird figure.

vejita613
Sun, 08-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Was there really a manga chapter about that?
No, this was 100% filler. Although, it was nice that they gave Ox more screen time so that audiences will be more familiar with him.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 08-07-2008, 02:04 AM
[Tadashi] Soul Eater - 18 (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=11266)

oyabun
Thu, 08-07-2008, 06:52 AM
A nice setup episode for next week's action. I'm glad to see there gonna gang up on Medusa from start judging from the preview. I really hate when teams separate and do 1on1 when you can kill the enemy easily by teaming up,, Is Maka's dad inside the trap? Maybe he's also outside?

Kraco
Thu, 08-07-2008, 11:00 AM
It has been a while since I've laughed as much as I did during the speeches in this ep. A great episode altogether, for sure. It looks like pretty wicked action will follow now. I also hope they will coordinate some team fighting. Although to speak the truth, Maka might be the only one of them really capable of such...

Inazuma
Thu, 08-07-2008, 03:45 PM
It's what you call a "Bring it, bitch." setup episode.

Awesome one tough

Kraco
Thu, 08-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Dr. Stein and Medusa actually made a pretty good looking couple, now that I think about it. When this is all over, they should start to see each other. I'm sure their kids would be the strongest ever, as well, if genetics play any role in that business.

xtallography
Thu, 08-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Definitely a good setup ep. It's a shame Stein won't have access to the death scythe in the next episode. I'd like to see what they could do together against a witch as powerful as Medusa. The little toad witch, Elka, annoys me. I wish they'd kill her off already.

oyabun
Sun, 08-10-2008, 05:20 AM
Dr. Stein and Medusa actually made a pretty good looking couple, now that I think about it. When this is all over, they should start to see each other. I'm sure their kids would be the strongest ever, as well, if genetics play any role in that business.

I guess.. They will have an offspring with a screw on its head and scales on its skins. :D

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-10-2008, 07:04 AM
It's strange though. How does a witch become a witch? The way Medusa talks to her, Chrona seems to be Medusa's offspring, yet is not a witch at all. Chrona is just a technician, like Maka or BlackStar.

Maybe it has something to do with how Medusa concieved/birthed/raised Chrona, maybe by some magical means instead of the standard methods.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Is being a witch genetic in the first place? Maybe it is simply the act of learning how to use black magic that taints the soul and turns one into a witch, or maybe a certain ritual or a coming of age ceremony. I'm not certain, but are all witches so far women? If so, it is quite interesting why it is limited to women alone.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-10-2008, 07:15 AM
If I remember right, Free, the werewolf, is also a witch in addition to being a werewolf and the third thing he was. It's not restricted to women.

oyabun
Sun, 08-10-2008, 07:58 AM
I think warlock is the counterpart of a witch. I maybe wrong though

NM
Sun, 08-10-2008, 11:26 AM
I thought Free would be considered a witch because of the eye that he stole. Or maybe I forgot an important detail...not really positive.

And shinta, I would think that being a witch is genetic...Ann (introduced along with Black Star in episode 2) would be proof of that I imagine since she was the youngest one at the witch gathering.

oyabun
Sun, 08-10-2008, 09:38 PM
The one with a swordsman as her guardian right?

If I remember right, Free, the werewolf, is also a witch in addition to being a werewolf and the third thing he was. It's not restricted to women.

And maybe there is another order for men. A group of evil magicians who is the same league of the witches. Warlocks maybe?

bagandscalpel
Mon, 08-11-2008, 08:22 PM
NM's right, I think Free's witch powers come from the eye he transplanted into himself, compliments of the eldest witch in the order.

Ryllharu
Tue, 08-12-2008, 04:29 AM
That's a fair assessment....if all his powers come from the eye, which they don't.

Sure, a lot, if not all, of Free's powerful magic comes from the eye. His whole body (or at least the magic he's summoning gets limned in green (the color of his soul, perhaps tainted by the eye, which also appears directly on his soul), and the crest on the eye enlarges and it starts sparking.

But in episode 15, Free also uses ice magic, with or without incantation (much like Medusa and frog-girl do). No reaction from the eye at all.

ChaosK
Tue, 08-12-2008, 10:00 PM
I've been waiting for this forever! Finally some real action in the anime.

That's a fair assessment....if all his powers come from the eye, which they don't.

Sure, a lot, if not all, of Free's powerful magic comes from the eye. His whole body (or at least the magic he's summoning gets limned in green (the color of his soul, perhaps tainted by the eye, which also appears directly on his soul), and the crest on the eye enlarges and it starts sparking.

But in episode 15, Free also uses ice magic, with or without incantation (much like Medusa and frog-girl do). No reaction from the eye at all.

Free's an immortal werewolf capable of ice magic, anything else he does such as the spatial cube magic he performed is due to the eye.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-12-2008, 10:30 PM
The question then becomes whether performing magic necessarily makes one a witch or not.

Ryllharu
Wed, 08-13-2008, 03:53 AM
Free's an immortal werewolf capable of ice magic, anything else he does such as the spatial cube magic he performed is due to the eye.
I must have missed this when I was reviewing the episodes with him in it. Where does it say it's a part of his werewolf abilities and not magic?

NM
Thu, 08-14-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't believe they said it anywhere but it might be related to the incantation he says before the attack. Rumbel's translation of it was "Wolf...wolves...wolf...wolves" and then did his Ice Spindle attack on Black Star.

Is that how it's translated in the manga Ryllharu? Because Tadashi's subs went "lupis...lupi...lupis...lupi" in episode 18 (but it really sounded like wolf wolves again) but I'm going with Rumbel just based on experience.

But what I'm saying is since he's muttering wolf wolves to do his ice attacks, it might be related to his werewolf bloodline. And the dimensional cube comes from the power of the eye since that cube itself puts anyone in it into another dimension completely with no escape (not even Shinigami-sama). I think the eye was reacting when he did that spell.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 08-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Tadashi - Episode 19 (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=11767)

xtallography
Fri, 08-15-2008, 02:34 AM
An excellent ep... I'm glad they found a way to get the death scythe to Stein even though he's not putting him to much use at the moment. It would be interesting to see if me made a throwing type attack intentionally miss Medusa so it would hit the vector plate behind her and catch her off guard.

I'm looking forward to the next few eps since they should be chock full o' action. I'd really like to see Death the Kid obliterate Elka even though I know that won't happen until the demon god is awoken since she has the black blood. I guess we'll see how far both Maka and Soul are willing to go in terms of obtaining "power" next week. The last scene in the preview made her look absolutely mental.

This and Macross Frontier are really neck and neck for my favorite shows of the season.

NM
Fri, 08-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Awesome episode. Just seeing everyone break through Medusa's first line of defense was great (Kid's and Black Star's being my favorite). And Shinigami-sama looked badass all those years ago. Wonder if we'll ever get to see the other warriors from Shinigami-sama's group. I'm betting they all have deathscythes by now.

Also, I guess Maka's dad has another form of being a deathscythe? The blades weren't there like before when Stein fought Chrona and Ragnarok.

This and Macross Frontier are really neck and neck for my favorite shows of the season.

Soul Eater has already won it for me. And not just for the season, definitely another one to add to my all-time favorites. :D

Ryllharu
Fri, 08-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Didn't Maka say earlier on the entire purpose of Shibusen was to raise weapons to the level of "death scythe" so that the would be used by Shinigami-sama? I'm guessing by definition that they can only be called "death scythes" if they are going to be used by Shinigami himself.

That's not to say weapons of equivalent power (or greater) are not weilded by other people (Excalibur being one such weapon....theoretically/historically) don't exist, but Death Scythe seems more like a title rather than a particular level of strength. After all, Death Scythe's name used to be Spirit or something like that (Stein has called him it at least once).

I didn't get far enough in the manga to see if she does show up, but I wonder what technicians like Maka's mother do after they raise a weapon up to the level of Death Scythe. I also really wonder what she looks like.

Kraco
Fri, 08-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Didn't Maka say earlier on the entire purpose of Shibusen was to raise weapons to the level of "death scythe" so that the would be used by Shinigami-sama?

I reckon that statement was either a mistake by the mangaka or a slightly loose explanation. The latter case might mean Shinigami-sama would decide what is to be done with the weapons once they have reached the death scythe status. Kind of like at a military academy you eventually get an assignment somewhere in some base. Otherwise it would make no sense a dude who can't even leave the town would hoard weapons - especially weapons that are also people who would with 100% certainty get bored if they see no action and whose lives would be wasted rotting there.

Besides, it's just strange all the pairs would be broken. Maybe the pairs are usually sent to different places in the world to hunt down villains once they have graduated.

Ryllharu
Fri, 08-15-2008, 04:23 PM
The only pair we know about for sure would be Maka's mother and Death Scythe. Of course, they are the worst possible example, as they got divorced...

So our view is really skewed with that. While it does not change the fact that Death Scythe (Spirit) is Shinigami's personal weapon, I supose it would not necessarily mean that the pairs usually separate. Perhaps they also mix and match, but that would only make sense for a transmutive Weapon like Tsubaki.

Still, we haven't seen Maka's mother at all, so I'm guessing with what Death Scythe was saying in this eps, that the others like him and ace technicians like Maka's mother are around the world killing villains as you say...so then who is she using?

I have to say that the introduction of Death Scythe was perfectly handled. They raise the music up, cut the camera angles, and send the tension skyrocketting. All the viewers (including myself, since I forgot about it) think that Medusa is about to show up...and it's Maka's perverted father. I definitely laughed aloud for that. That, and Chrona/Ragnarok's gross incompetence despite Medusa's confidence in them. They barely even noticed Kidd going by.

ChaosK
Sat, 08-16-2008, 03:15 AM
Well, Spirit said he's the only Deathscythe currently in Death City and even said he wouldn't be able to face the other Deathscythes if he let the Kishin be reborn. I'm guessing that when one reaches the level of a Deathscythe, they can be used by any high level technician as they would be proficient at managing their own soul wavelengths. The anime mentioned earlier that Sid was a three-star technician. Although we don't know what the highest level is, we can assume that technicians have levels of proficiency as well and I would guess that the other Deathscythes are with people of that level and can be wielded if necessary. For example, I'm sure Stein could wield any type of weapon even if he is a scythe technician, he could probably wield Liz and Patty if he wanted to.

KoKo37
Sat, 08-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Tadashi - Episode 20 (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=12400)

Kraco
Sat, 08-23-2008, 04:18 AM
This series is awesome. The demon within in Soul Eater is 1000% more interesting than in Naruto, that's for sure, as well. It's also nice how I keep liking Medusa despite her being quite a ruthless villain.

Sanity is handicapped harshly in this series, though.

Ryllharu
Sat, 08-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Medusa is one of the most likable villains, period.

Way to channel Twin Peaks though. The author has definitely seen the series, as evidenced by all the scenes in Soul's head.

I also like how the motivation to become a Kishin (demon god) all revolves around fear. The Kishin was afraid of everything according to Shinigami, and apparently, so was chibi-Chrona. Now the devil inside Soul's head, some aspect of the Black Blood, says the exact same thing. Fear, fear, fear. Fear makes you weak, and the response to completely giving in to that fear is to lose your sanity. A very nice touch.

There was one fundamental difference in the manga that really makes this episode lose points.

Chibi-chan, Chrona's pet, was not a fire breathing dragon in the manga. That makes it an object of fear, something Chrona was too scared to face. Be afraid and alone, or kill what you're afraid of. A radically different version of the plot point from the original version.
Maybe it will appear in the next episode, though I doubt it. In any case, consider yourself warned.

[ Nope, Chrona's Chibi-chan was not a little black dragon.
It was a harmless, white, fluffy, bunny. ]
[thumbnail elimated for those who do not wish to see it] (http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/6496/zzch01822um8.png)

That changes the entire feeling of the scene.

xtallography
Sat, 08-23-2008, 03:43 PM
I like how they've given the black blood a voice (and body) inside of Soul. It definitely adds to the dynamic and makes it easier to see the battle within to keep ones own sanity versus having the power to defeat an enemy by going absolutely insane. I thought it was rather amusing that Maka was all about having Soul lead in the dance but the decisions were all ultimately hers. The downside in the ep for me was Maka turning into some babbling idiot for the time being. I understand that's the black blood taking over but an unfortunate side effect none the less.

This series keeps getting better and better as it goes along.

oyabun
Sun, 08-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Its definitely much more interesting than Naruto/Bleach combined. You've got a demon imp dancing some jazz. How cool can you get?