PDA

View Full Version : Special A

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-09-2008, 06:40 PM
http://www.gonzo.co.jp/works/img/sakey.jpg

Plot Summary: Hikari Hanazono, the main character, has always been second to Kei Takishima. While Hikari considers Kei a rival and somewhat of a friend, Kei loves Hikari. Everyone knows this, but she is too dense to notice. Their wrestling loving fathers first introduced them to one another when they were 6 years old. Assuming that she was the best in wrestling, young Hikari challenged Kei to a wrestling match only to be thoroughly defeated by him. Ever since that fateful incident, Hikari swore to beat Kei in school grades, a sporting event - anything. To do this she has enrolled in the same school as Kei since elementary. Now she attends Hakusenkan, an ultra elite school, that costs her carpenter father a lot of money. Hikari and Kei are the top two students in the school, with Kei holding firmly to that number one position. -ANN-

Special A - 01 BakaWolf & m.3.3.w Xvid (http://tracker.anirena.com/download2.php?id=5637)
Special A - 01 BakaWolf & m.3.3.w H264 (http://tracker.anirena.com/download2.php?id=5638)

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-09-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm not so sure about the art style on this one. Usually, I'm very open to the more unique art styles, but it looks like Gonzo took their old dog named Gatekeepers and had it breed with Production I.G.'s xxxHolic because the two thought the resulting puppies would look funny.

They were right.

Other than that, it's not a bad series....but I'm probably content with the manga.

Yuko Goto and Jun Fukuyama as the two lead characters are a big plus though, and Akira (my favorite character) being played by Hitomi Nabatame? Very tempting.

Well, we'll see how it goes. This series has my endorsement, light fun, stupid storylines that make you laugh at how ridiculous they are making it all, but I'm just not sure at this point if I want to spend the time watching it when I already read it.

But Hitomi Nabatame.....

shinta|hikari
Wed, 04-09-2008, 09:12 PM
While I am a fan of Jun Fukuyama, I'm not sure if he fits the voice for Kei. Kei is arrogant, but is generally likable, while the Lelouch voice is admittedly terribly annoying at times. Maybe that is why they practically overhauled Kei's face from the manga (making him look like some naughty villain), which I believe has superior art.

TheBladeChild
Wed, 04-09-2008, 10:09 PM
This looks like a anime I can use to pass them time inbetween episodes of CG, I guess ill stick to it.

animus
Thu, 04-10-2008, 08:37 AM
While I am a fan of Jun Fukuyama, I'm not sure if he fits the voice for Kei. Kei is arrogant, but is generally likable, while the Lelouch voice is admittedly terribly annoying at times. Maybe that is why they practically overhauled Kei's face from the manga (making him look like some naughty villain), which I believe has superior art.

Jun Fukuyama's Lelouch is awesome, and I felt it fit quite well for Kei.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 04-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Don't get me wrong, by saying terribly annoying, I mean it as in Lelouch's arrogance itself, which implies that Fukuyama did the role perfectly.

Kei isn't like Lelouch at all. His arrogance is more for teasing than any true self-admiration or pride.

Ryllharu
Thu, 04-10-2008, 03:57 PM
I'd disagree with that. Kei uses his arrogance for teasing....Hikari, and Hikari alone. He is not arrogant to other members of the S.A. because they are really not bothered at all by the rankings. They are either in the SA or not.

But Kei's arrogance is very real and completely justified. We saw this in his clashes with the three cheaters. His death glare when they were denouncing all of them, and then again when he found them trying to depose the SA using illegitimate means.

He has a lot of pride. Real pride that is displayed to ungrateful, jealous, or similarly prideful inferiors/rivals, but you are correct in his arrogance is almost certainly fake in the case of Hikari. You could see his face go cold when he found out the letter wasn't a challenge and was an invite to something completely non-Hikari centered.

To go off on a little tangent, you can see that he views these little challenges of hers as "mini-dates," since it involves just the two of them solely focused on each other. Sure, Hikari doesn't see it that way, but Kei definitely does, and it shows right from this episode.

So...Hikari took what Kei must view as a love letter, and turned it into a the equivalent of a court summons. His joking mask fell off, and he became serious.

Those kind of roles are perfect for Jun Fukuyama.

(shinta, does the annoying version of his voice in your experience come from watching Watanuki in xxxHolic? I can see where you are coming from if that is the case.)

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-11-2008, 09:50 AM
No, you misunderstand. His voice is not annoying, its Lelouch that can get annoying with his self love and arrogance at times. Don't get me wrong, I like him, but that doesn't mean I have to like everything he does.

Kei does have a lot of pride. That is not arrogant. The word arrogant itself implies that it is unjustified, and has a negative connotation. What he did with the three cheaters was completely justified and is in the bound of his skill. He did not brag about it but merely stated facts. Jun Fukuyama has a malicious tone to his voice, which enables him to play characters like Lelouch, but I thought that was unnecessary for Kei. I'd prefer him played by a less arrogant sounding voice.

animus
Fri, 04-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Uh, you can be arrogant and have it justified, negative connotation or not.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Uh, no?

The definition of arrogant is "Overly convinced of one's own superiority and importance" (thesaurus). There are other definitions but all to the same effect. The fact that it includes the word "overly" means that it is not justified, unless of course you are trying to say that justifying is simply making an excuse for acting like an ass like most people do.

In Kei's case, he is practically perfect in everything he does, and is the best in all fields. Its not arrogant to state that fact, and he never goes around and offends other people flaunting it.

animus
Fri, 04-11-2008, 06:56 PM
You quoted something from the thesaurus?

If you look at the dictionary (like you should), not every definition has overly in it or unjustified. Being the best at everything or not, or bragging about it or not Kei is definitely arrogant. He calls Hikari Miss 2. And when he came out to defend Hikari in the afternoon he said "There's no use talking to their kind."

He's definitely arrogant, fact of him being the best at everything or not.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 04-12-2008, 02:08 AM
Err, I think it has been established that Kei is arrogant to Hikari, but that is simply for teasing.

The line you just quoted illustrates my point perfectly. Do you honestly think that they don't deserve such a comment? That's not arrogant. He was just telling the truth.

I think you are simply stretching the definition a bit. If you read the dictionary (like you should) from different sources, and try to understand the implication of the definition, then it is clear there is a negative meaning to it, in the sense that the belief in oneself or self confidence is in excess. That is in every definition you can find, or at the very least almost all of them. If you can find a definition that says arrogance is justified and is not an excess of pride or confidence, please post it.

Still, I am simply being sensitive to the intricacies of language. Meanings of words tend to become confused in time. I do understand what you are trying to say, its just that the word for it is not arrogant.

Ryllharu
Sat, 04-12-2008, 05:15 AM
Meanings of words do not tend to become confused over time. They change. Language is not a static thing by any stretch of the imagination.

You are both right. But..."arrogance" has shifted to a negative connotation that implies someone is boastful and proud of their own skills. Whether it is not justified and now even if it is. Arrogance is perceived.

Kei is teasing Hikari. Only Hikari. But that does not make him not arrogant to everyone else. Kei may be stating it matter of factly, and the other members of the S.A. certainly know he's not an arrogant asshole and that he's only being matter-of-fact.

But Hikari and all they jealous people in the school think he is an arrogant asshole. Is it true? No. But Kei is very public about his teasing of Hikari. So everyone outside of the S.A. sees him being an asshole to her, and presumes that that is precisely what he is.

Like many other words used as labels, "arrogance" is applied by everyone else, not the subject of the word.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 04-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Language does change, but there are cases when it gets confused. Your first statement is a very very hasty generalization, and I believe you will notice what I mean if you reread it. The common usage of "arrogant" is indeed what you have noted it to be, but that was not the way I used it in my argument, and neither it is the established meaning of the word in the academe.

Even if he is perceived as arrogant by others, that does not mean he is really arrogant. It is simply the case of mistaken expression. For example, if a girl is perceived as a whore by others because of her clothing or how she acts, that does not make her a whore, since the conditions of being a whore (as society understands it) may not be met. The whole argument was about whether Kei is actually arrogant or not, not if he is perceived to be arrogant. The standard for this, well, is the very definition I posted.

Like I said, even the word arrogant can mean different things to different people, and that is the main reason why me and animus don't seem to meet eye to eye. He is not necessarily wrong, if he is indeed basing his argument on the common usage of arrogant. But if we check the actual definition from reliable sources, then my argument would be correct. Since we probably did have a different understanding of the word, the conclusion is a moot point. I simply wanted to clarify this in my last post.

Kraco
Sat, 04-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Watch his first meeting with Hikari again if you want to see whether he has a tendency to show arrogance towards people in general. You can't say his arrogance is only reserved for Hikari when he was like that even before he had met her. Unless you suggest his personality suddenly changed the second he saw her. He's just not a flamboyantly arrogant but more silently arrogant. It's conceivable that whole aspect of personality developed as a self-defense mechanism if he has always been the best. Such people have to suffer the jealousy and envy of others throughout their lives and under such circumstances they can only either submit or ignore others (which can be observed as arrogance) (well, I suppose beating the hell out of others to make them submit is also an option but I choose to disregard that choice here).

Like has been said, arrogance is a negative description, and as such it surely can be said to be overly prideful of one's worth. I have to agree with Ryllharu on that; it doesn't matter whether the difference of worth is real or not, it only matters the arrogant person acts like there is a difference. That's why you can have situations like in this ep, where Hikari was starting to submit to the three jerks (being not arrogant) and Kei, on the other hand, chose to ignore them, displaying arrogance (as observed by those three).

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-13-2008, 06:12 AM
As I said, that definition of "arrogant" is only common usage. It is not the original meaning of the word. And having such a difference, the conclusion will obviously differ.

In the case of Hikari, he knew that he was going to beat her, and simply stated that she may embarass herself (which she did) if she continued her challenge. It is of course in consideration of his skill in wrestling, and not an overestimation or excess of belief in oneself.

If you take arrogant to mean that way, even I agree that Kei is arrogant. And if you take arrogant the way I understand it (as well as how it is defined in most if not all vocabulary sources) then even you have to agree with my statements. There really is no argument, at least not anymore.

animus
Sun, 04-13-2008, 08:58 AM
He's never even met her and he already told her she would lose, and that he would beat her. That's an overevaluation of one's self. It is unjustified, since he's never even met her, or seen her fight.

If he's not arrogant by common usage, or by definition then you might have a few screws loose.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-13-2008, 09:33 AM
If you have never been beaten your entire life, and is always the best at everything, it is only natural to assume that you will win right? That is what he did, and by the definition of arrogant I gave, he is not arrogant in that case. Its justified by all his previous experience and he merely stated fact. If he did get beaten by Hikari, its not an overestimation of himself, but rather an underestimation of Hikari's abilities, which is quite different (unless of course you want to clump them together again, which I don't really mind as long as you explain).

To put it simply, you are judging the situation as if its real. In reality, there is no such thing as a person who never loses or is the best at everything. But in Special A, he does exist, and that person is Kei. You can't really judge his actions with the usual standard, especially because he obviously thinks and acts much differently from "normal" people. Just because it seems arrogant to you doesn't mean he is arrogant on every standard (and this can be used in argument as long as the standard is clarified and explained, which I did).

I know there is a premium to humility, which indicates that one must not brag about one's abilities. But all we are discussing here is the meaning of the word "arrogant" itself (the issue about Kei depends entirely on this), and if you cannot even understand that, then I will simply end here.

Kraco
Sun, 04-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Yeah, maybe you should end there, because I doubt anybody will understand your definition of the word. You view it as some sort of a meter of person's worth or skills. But in every context I've ever seen it used it's actually a word to describe someone's behavior. A total loser can act arrogantly to cover his shortcomings, which is very common indeed, or an elite person can act arrogantly because he honestly believes he's the chosen one and everyone else is somewhere below him.

You say if a person really is better than someone else in something then he can't be arrogant when speaking about that skill, no matter how nasty or condescending his tone. Then what do you call behavior like that? Surely you do have another word for it? And I'm not going to accept "justified".

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-13-2008, 09:57 AM
@shinta:
You are splitting hairs over viewpoints again.

Arrogance is always a label applied by an 3rd party. Someone doesn't call themselves arrogant, they perfectly believe that they are correct, the strongest, the smartest, the best, etc. Nor is it "boasting" to them, in their mind they are simply relating FACT. As Kraco said, it is a behavioral label, not an aptitude one.

Take the exchange when they were children. Hikari claimed she wouldn't be defeated, so Kei shut her up by defeating her handily. Before the fight, Hikari is arrogant from Kei's viewpoint. She catches robbers at age 5, so her assumed victory from her viewpoint is simply matter-of-fact. At the same time, Kei's smug victory (though from his viewpoint it was simply matter-of-fact) comes off extremely arrogant to Hikari, thus poisoning their relationship, from her viewpoint, up to present day.

But we're not done with viewpoints. Our story is presented from Hikari's viewpoint. All our standards must be set by her view. Our protagonist labels him arrogant, then he is. I'm sure down the road this will have to change, as this is a romance comedy.

animus
Sun, 04-13-2008, 10:04 AM
If you have never been beaten your entire life, and is always the best at everything, it is only natural to assume that you will win right? That is what he did, and by the definition of arrogant I gave, he is not arrogant in that case. Its justified by all his previous experience and he merely stated fact. If he did get beaten by Hikari, its not an overestimation of himself, but rather an underestimation of Hikari's abilities, which is quite different (unless of course you want to clump them together again, which I don't really mind as long as you explain).

To put it simply, you are judging the situation as if its real. In reality, there is no such thing as a person who never loses or is the best at everything. But in Special A, he does exist, and that person is Kei. You can't really judge his actions with the usual standard, especially because he obviously thinks and acts much differently from "normal" people. Just because it seems arrogant to you doesn't mean he is arrogant on every standard (and this can be used in argument as long as the standard is clarified and explained, which I did).

I know there is a premium to humility, which indicates that one must not brag about one's abilities. But all we are discussing here is the meaning of the word "arrogant" itself (the issue about Kei depends entirely on this), and if you cannot even understand that, then I will simply end here.

Now, you're just being a sore loser. What was the point of even saying you can't judge his actions with the usual standard because he acts different in anime than someone would in reality?

"...in the sense that the belief in oneself or self confidence is in excess. That is in every definition you can find, or at the very least almost all of them."

That is your own words, and using what you presented yourself as a definition I came to the conclusion that Kei was arrogant.

Your last statement has no meaning. Arrogance ties directly whether a person's bragging, or overestimation, of one's own abilities, ideals, beliefs, etc. It's clear that Kei himself thinks he's better than a certain demographic of the school.

But my last points were moot because according to you, you just can't judge Kei for being arrogant at all because he doesn't fit the usual standard.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-13-2008, 10:11 AM
@Kraco - No, I'm only saying that what Kei did is not arrogant according to the definition. Just remember the context of the situations given as example. Was he ever really out of hand when he spoke? I bet even you thought that in most cases his words were deserved. If he starts screaming that he is better than everyone for no reason, then even that would be arrogant from any (including my) viewpoint. I've never used it as a meter for skill, but rather, I'm saying that the judgment of behavior should be in consideration of that person's worth. Either way, it is a very limited definition, and it should be taken as it is. I never generalized as you think I am. Check the previous posts if you doubt me. EDIT: In fact, I even conceded "common usage" to animus (automatically implying that mine is a minority opinion, even if it is based on the original definition from the dictionary).

@Ryll - That is again, another valid way of understanding arrogance. I'm only saying it is not the only way. In my definition, the way Hikari acted was not arrogant at all, because it was justified from her experiences, but even Kei disagrees with me there. If you disagree with my definition then that is that. It simply has no bearing with the conclusion regarding whether Kei is arrogant or not, since we can't even agree on the premise.

This definition is indeed quite elitist, but it does not justify being an ass. It merely shows that some people can afford to talk with more pride because they have the stuff to back it up. Talking (or acting) without being able to back it up is arrogance. I know its quite unrealistic in application (while the standard Ryll gave probably has the most usefulness in actuality), since as Ryll said there is no way to objectively judge the situation in reality, but in anime, we are given a basically omniscient look at the story and events which enables us to do just that.

@animus - you misunderstood what I said about the standard. It doesn't mean that he can't be judged at all. What I was trying to address was the fact that you simply assumed that he was arrogant just because he talked to Hikari that way which is almost always the case (in real life), but not when you are practically perfect. That is all it meant, so don't stretch it out.

Kei doesn't think he is better than a certain demographic (or all) of the school. He knows it. He is number one after all. That's not overestimation. It's quite an accurate estimate, I think.

EDIT: I know, I know. This thing has gone on for too long, and I apologize for that. This will be my last post on this (since it is already this out of hand, I'm even getting neg reps for prolonging it, apparently). Its not that big of a deal, and I simply wanted to get my opinion across. I hope this post clarifies everything.

EDIT: @animus below - haha, I know, but someone did, and that someone has a point. :)

animus
Sun, 04-13-2008, 10:40 AM
I wasn't neg repping you XD

Kraco
Sun, 04-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Don't make useless posts, animus, or I'll give you something worse than neg rep for your troublemaking.

Nevertheless, while I maintain Kei is arrogant, not depending on that his personality surely needs to be like it is for the story to go anywhere. His cool pride was also shown in how he defended Hikari's efforts in front of the delinquents (before beating them up). It's reasonable to assume he was like that even before he met Hikari all those years ago, but I wonder if he's also partially kept going because he knows Hikari is right below him and uses all her efforts to close the gap. Hikari's source of motivation is indeed easy to understand but what is Kei's motivation? And though something else existed for him earlier, but does Hikari now play a role there as well?

Their relationship, or a potential for a deeper relationship, looks quite fragile to me. Hikari seems to view Kei only as a rival so is it up to Kei to make the first move? And can he do it?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-15-2008, 07:13 PM
BakaWolf & m.3.3.w - Special A 02 (XviD) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=5825)
BakaWolf & m.3.3.w - Special A 02 (h264) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=5824)

[Nipponsei] Special A OP Single - Special days [Gotou Yuuko et al].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Special%20A%20OP%20Single%20-%20Special%20days%20%5BGotou%20Yuuko%20et%20al%5D. zip.torrent)
[Nipponsei] Special A ED Single - Hidamari no Gate [Various].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Special%20A%20ED%20Single%20-%20Hidamari%20no%20Gate%20%5BVarious%5D.zip.torren t)

Ryllharu
Tue, 04-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Special A is episodic. Really episodic. I don't know if I really want to keep watching it.

The manga is probably enough for me, but the voice cast was a big plus for the series.

I'm going to drop it, but everyone that enjoys it should definitely keep watching. It's a light and fun series, good for those days when you don't want to think about Code Geass episode leaks.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-16-2008, 01:08 AM
I'm still borderline. I don't mind this series, but there's better ones out there. I'll tag along for now. Like you said, it's a light series, and it looks like it has potential to be funny. Just that there are funnier ones.

Kraco
Thu, 04-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Special Argh:

Episode 3 h264 - BakaWolf-m.​3.​3.​w (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=6080)
Episode 3 xvid - BakaWolf-m.​3.​3.​w (http://tracker.anirena.com/download2.php?id=6081)

- - - - - -

I thought in this episode Hikari realised Kei is seeing more in her than just somebody to keep number two through heavy competition, but in the end I'm not too sure. Hikari is a bit thick.

Ryllharu
Thu, 04-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Hikari is a bit thick.
This seems to be the understatement of the year. You can already tell pretty well that Akira, Jun, Megumi and the others know how Kei has felt about Hikari for years.

I was never expecting too much out of this series, it's sort of like Ouran, but a little less self-parody and a little more over the top (at least in a different direction, physical aptitudes).

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-30-2008, 07:28 PM
BakaWolf-m.​3.​3.​w - Special A 04 (XviD) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download2.php?id=6339)
BakaWolf-m.​3.​3.​w - Special A 04 (h264) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=6338)

-----------------------------------------
I never thought Kei's dad would turn out to be so... childish/girly. It's alright for an anime, and provides some of the lightheartedness this series boasts, but in real life, I don't know what I'd do if I had a dad like that. In fact, I can't begin to imagine how what I'd grow up to be if he was the only manly influence.

Kraco
Thu, 05-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Episode 5 h264 - BakaWolf-m.3.3.w (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=6658)
Episode 5 xvid - BakaWolf-m.3.3.w (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=6659)

I'm still liking this series, despite the fact it doesn't actually have any strong points, nothing unique, nothing novel. The only suspence is to wonder whether Hikari finally realises Kei's true feelings or not.

Darknodin
Fri, 05-09-2008, 05:16 PM
mmm... I'm not entirely sure I would have liked this party. There is such a thing as too awesome. you feel like this is a "last supper" kind of thing.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Episode 5 h264 - BakaWolf-m.3.3.w (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=6658)
Episode 5 xvid - BakaWolf-m.3.3.w (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=6659)

I'm still liking this series, despite the fact it doesn't actually have any strong points, nothing unique, nothing novel. The only suspence is to wonder whether Hikari finally realises Kei's true feelings or not.

Yes, I find it funny every time Kei looks like he'll finally be acknowledged, only to be disappointed, and lets it out sometimes by calling Hikari Miss No.2. I guess when you're talking about making the grandest party ever, money is the real issue.

Funniest part of this episode for me: "I'm bored. I'm going to sing." <here be shocked faces>

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Episode 6 h264 - BakaWolf-m.3.3.w (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=6924)
Episode 6 xvid - BakaWolf-m.3.3.w (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=6925)

Kraco
Sat, 05-17-2008, 05:57 AM
Now Hikari knows, but clearly doesn't know what to do with the information. Yet it certainly affected her so Kei is not without hope. I guess it now depends only on what manner of a series this is: One of those where the end situation is identical to the beginning (comedy) or one of those where something actually concludes (a real romance).

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Ouch, that's gotta suck, getting punched by a childhood friend on a birthday. At least Hikari got a push in the right direction though. At least she'll think before saying something like "I understand your feelings now Kei."

I think as soon as Kei calls her Miss No.2 again, we'll be back where we started.

Kraco
Sat, 05-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Ouch, that's gotta suck, getting punched by a childhood friend on a birthday.

It might have hurt physically a bit but since he knew it would happen yet did it nonetheless I woudn't say it sucks.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-17-2008, 09:32 AM
It might have hurt physically a bit but since he knew it would happen yet did it nonetheless I woudn't say it sucks.

I was just meaning getting a knock on your birthday in general. But again, he did call for it.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 05-22-2008, 08:42 PM
BakaWolf & m.3.3.w Special A 07 (XviD) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=7182)
BakaWolf & m.3.3.w Special A 07 (h264) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=7181)

narutosharingan
Fri, 05-23-2008, 07:21 PM
I guess people CAN be that thickheaded

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-23-2008, 07:23 PM
I laughed quite a bit this episode. The comedy pulled off quite nicely, especially the transition to the real bear.

I just feel really sorry for Kei.

Kraco
Sat, 05-24-2008, 02:40 AM
Yeah. Kei looked really down at the end of the ep. But on the other hand, it has seemed like the constant competition with Kei is currently the only think Hikari is living for, so it makes a little sense she has an automatic defense mechanism for anything that could disrupt that view of the world. Still, she is incredibly thickheaded.

It's also safe to say with this episode this series waved goodbye to any realism it might have once had...

kenren
Sat, 05-24-2008, 08:06 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/kenren1990/capture-1-1.jpg

This scene really made me laugh. Good episode! :)

Darknodin
Mon, 05-26-2008, 07:12 PM
uhm... i don't think their abilities ever had anything in common with regular humans (or even animals). look at episode 1!
this ep was actually funny as hell. the first and second traps were the best! Kei didn't even hesitate!
In the end, though, i really doubt the situation will get resolved... hell i've never actually seen a show (anime) where the mains get together in the end (well... maybe FMP, but that's debatable)!

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-27-2008, 02:08 AM
This episode pretty much confirms Yahiro's statement that Kei never really seriously competed against Hikari.

Darknodin
Tue, 05-27-2008, 09:03 PM
actually... i'm not sure. actually, it might be the other way around (although not intentionally). thinking about it, except for this last race, every time Kei beat Hikari was because he was going over something that she did.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-31-2008, 02:36 AM
actually... i'm not sure. actually, it might be the other way around (although not intentionally). thinking about it, except for this last race, every time Kei beat Hikari was because he was going over something that she did.

Well, that's what challenging's about though. You both do the same thing, or try to achieve the same objective, and see who can do it faster and better than the other.

Anyway, here's the next ep.

Special A 08 v2 (XviD) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=7589)
Special A 08 v2 (h264) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=7588)

Darknodin
Sat, 05-31-2008, 09:22 AM
Well, that's what challenging's about though. You both do the same thing, or try to achieve the same objective, and see who can do it faster and better than the other.

Anyway, here's the next ep.

Special A 08 (XviD) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=7537)
Special A 08 (h264) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=7535)

what I meant was that Kei overdid her in a way that would have been impossible if she wasn't there. For example, he couldn't have jumped that high in the first episode if he hadn't gone over Hikari. there is also the argument that Hikari is a mental boost for Kei (even though he doesn't show it)

Kraco
Sat, 05-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Goddam I hated instantly the brat in this ep. I was gritting my teeth for the whole duration of the ep. And instead of getting rid of him at the end, we even got his obnoxious big brother back. I hope Kei kicks both their whiny asses all the way back to Japan in the next episode.

Darknodin
Sat, 05-31-2008, 06:48 PM
i feel you... what could have been a pretty cool episode was ruined by that annoying kid. On the other hand, i don't find the older brother that annoying. i'm actually looking forward to the next episode. Oh and about Kei and Hikari not hooking up by the end of the series... well, i'm not so sure anymore. unlike other shows of the genre, Kei is pretty honest with himself. Also, they didn't forget about the earlier episodes as I thought they would.

Kraco
Sun, 06-01-2008, 05:38 AM
Yeah, the older brother is not nearly as annoying, that's true. It's just that every time I see him, I'm afraid he will go after Hikari as well. And Kei's fault and weakness, despite being honest with himself, is that he seems unable to tell Hikari directly how he feels. The brat's older brother, whatever his name was, wouldn't have such problems.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Though Pesu was funny at parts, I was hoping this entire episode that the twins would snap and kidnap him or something. It felt more annoying, but still an SA episode.

what I meant was that Kei overdid her in a way that would have been impossible if she wasn't there. For example, he couldn't have jumped that high in the first episode if he hadn't gone over Hikari. there is also the argument that Hikari is a mental boost for Kei (even though he doesn't show it)

I agree with that. With Hikari there, Kei does try to outperform her, whereas he wouldn't have needed to do anything much at all if she wasn't. But what ever Hikari's done so far hasn't pushed Kei to his limits yet, except maybe his frustration at her thickness.

EDIT:
Special A 08 v2 (XviD) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=7589)
Special A 08 v2 (h264) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=7588)

Here's a list of what was fixed:

* Time shift as it was timed to a different raw
* A few minor typos
* A sign disappearing a frame too early
* Missing credits

I'm not going to bother, since I didn't see anything wrong with v1. But if you haven't downloaded yet, might as well grab the best.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 06-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Special A 09 (XviD) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=7713)
Special A 09 (h264) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=7712)

----------------------------------------
A nice S.A episode today. We got the background info we needed to stop Yahiro from baffling us, but we still didnt' get the full story. I particularly like how they fixed up Chitose's attitude. I can't bear to see him like last episode again.

Darknodin
Thu, 06-05-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm calling Hikari on her bluff!

Takishima somehow did something to her in the past and she's now having fun torturing him!

this was a good ep.

Kraco
Fri, 06-06-2008, 12:36 AM
Takishima somehow did something to her in the past and she's now having fun torturing him!

Nah, I think she's just stupid. Or rather she doesn't want to believe because her current life is based on competing with Kei, and if that setting somehow changed, she would be standing on nothing (from her point of view).

It was a good episode, and especially since it was made evident Yahiro doesn't care for Hikari, and thus isn't endangering the Hikari-Kei couple. Still, it's kind of dubious whether he is trying to help it either...

Kraco
Sun, 06-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Hikari on the bluff:

Episode 10 h264 - m.3.3.w - BakaWolf (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=8120)
Episode 10 xvid - m.3.3.w - BakaWolf (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=8121)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-16-2008, 07:32 AM
Ryuu's skill is pure win. I so wish I had that skill, even if it was only for the past week. For the last couple of weeks, I've been really enjoying exploring the other characters.

Next week, looking forward to what Kei will have Hikari do for a day though. He's finally taking action now.

Kraco
Mon, 06-16-2008, 07:46 AM
Aye, Kei surely decided to push forward. And Hikari can't get a good night's sleep because she apparently imagines Kei intends to eat her hair... At first it was funny Hikari is so thick, then it turned to unbelievable, and now... I don't anymore know what to think of it.

Still, at this point I could actually believe this series could have a conclusive ending. This doesn't fully conform to format of those series where the end situation is exactly the same as the beginning, in my opinion. I surely hope it will end well and Kei gets Hikari.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-21-2008, 03:54 AM
Itadakimasu

Episode 11 h264 - m.3.3.w - BakaWolf (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=8374)
Episode 11 xvid - m.3.3.w - BakaWolf (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=8375)

kenren
Sat, 06-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Heh. Akira always make me laugh with her response regarding Hikari. Another good episode :) .

Darknodin
Sat, 06-21-2008, 05:37 PM
They delayed the Kei thing! we are only missing the twin's character episode now!

Kraco
Sun, 06-22-2008, 07:19 AM
According to ANN this series has 24 episodes. I was actually thinking this would be 13 eps, because it feels like they should be reaching some sort of a climax soon. While this is a nice series, I don't know how they intend to keep the intensity up for another half of it. It's getting kind of old that Hikari is thick and Kei's plans are more or less accidentally thwarted by some third party time after time. Also, they have introduced pretty little new to the story since the beginning to support additional story arcs.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-23-2008, 02:23 AM
I also have no idea, but if they just keep it up as it is, it's fine by me. Special A is just thre relaxing type of anime for me. Seriously though, who didn't Kei would tear Tadashi apart. Rather, he's been acting quite passionately these two eps.

kenren
Sat, 06-28-2008, 09:29 AM
And here's Episode 12 (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=8830) !! :)

Kraco
Sat, 06-28-2008, 09:45 AM
And here's the real (h264) version (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=8829).

An interesting episode. Things went a little Kei's way this time. Hikari's incredible density is going a lot overboard already, though. It honestly has no thread of believability left.

Darknodin
Sat, 06-28-2008, 07:23 PM
The Kei/Hikari thing might be more or less resolved with this. next ep seems to be moving someplace else

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-28-2008, 08:15 PM
It'll definitely come back, that's for sure. Kei being sick turned out for the better after all, as long as he doesn't remember that 30KG icepack. If he wasn't that sick, he would've been pleased to pick out that Hikari was wearing a miniskirt.

Kraco
Tue, 07-08-2008, 05:11 AM
30KG resolution:

Episode 13 h264 - BakaWolf-m.3.3.w (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=9455)
Episode 13 xvid - BakaWolf-m.3.3.w (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=9456)

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-08-2008, 08:52 PM
The recent episodes exploring the deeper background of our characters seems to have give S.A a bit more substance, though the episode did feel a little slow. Yahiro is turning into a fine asshole, but that's okay. A series like this one needs an antagonist like him. It's good to see the Tadashi x Akira pairing moving forward a bit, and it should continue over to next week. Not to forget our prime characters, I completely forgot Kei gave Hikari a kiss until I saw her blush.

All in all, it was S.A. with a slightly darker tone, perhaps to accompany a change in OP/ED themes.

Kraco
Wed, 07-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Yahiro is a real detestable asshole. That was indeed the lesson of this episode. I was getting tired of the Akira flashbacks, though, no matter how bad a past she had had, so I'm happy that seems to be resolved for now - not the past but the flashbacks concerning that one girl who looked like her long lost friend. It was too pitiful to watch.

Hikari seems to have some problems to be in Kei's company. I guess she's not anymore sure how she feels and how she should behave. Jolly good.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Haunting childhood memories.

[BakaWolf-m.3.3.w] Special A 14 (XviD) [51215900].avi (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=9720)
[BakaWolf-m.3.3.w] Special A 14 (H.264) [EC6082DC].mkv (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=9718)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the better S.A. episodes so far. I liked how they managed to turn Yahiro's character right around without feeling all cheezy and used. Likewise with Tadashi's simple minded, yet useful and dependable personality. The hugging scene in particular was well done, and you just can't deny that Tadashi is a really playful, yet earnest and caring guy.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Second Opening and Endings are out:

[Nipponsei] Special A OP2 Single - Gorgeous 4U [Various].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Special%20A%20OP2%20Single%20-%20Gorgeous%204U%20%5BVarious%5D.zip.torrent)
[Nipponsei] Special A ED2 Single - Special Gyutto Good Luck! [Various].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Special%20A%20ED2%20Single%20-%20Special%20Gyutto%20Good%20Luck!%20%5BVarious%5D .zip.torrent)

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-22-2008, 12:14 AM
Kei X Hikari

Special A Episode 15 (h264) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=10247)
Special A Episode 15 (XviD) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=10248)

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-31-2008, 09:39 PM
Special A 16 (XviD) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=10882)
Special A 16 (h264) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=10881)

Probably one of the funniest SA episodes to date. I had good laughs all the way through this episode, from Akira teasing Kei to finally Womanizer Jun. It's like he has a sex mode. Hikari unknowingly admitted she likes Kei too. I'd be really pleased if S.A. can keep up this level of quality through to the end. Light, funny and entertaining.

Darknodin
Fri, 08-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Special A 16 (XviD) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=10882)
Special A 16 (h264) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=10881)

Probably one of the funniest SA episodes to date. I had good laughs all the way through this episode, from Akira teasing Kei to finally Womanizer Jun. It's like he has a sex mode. Hikari unknowingly admitted she likes Kei too. I'd be really pleased if S.A. can keep up this level of quality through to the end. Light, funny and entertaining.

Kei doesn't let one pass! his interaction with Hikari makes the show!

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-06-2008, 10:50 PM
m.3.3.w - Special A 17 (XviD) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=11253)
m.3.3.w - Sepcial A 17 (h264) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=11252)
---------------------------------------------------
"Go yourself, Go Die!!" just made my day. While Kei x Hikari is still the focus of the main series, Tadashi x Akira has the bittersweet feel that Kei and Hikari lack. Perhaps physical abuse does the trick (there a saying in Chinese: 打者愛也, which means those who hit are those who love). Next episode should be more content filled, since they seem to be wrapping up this couple more or less.

Also, while still his witty self, Kei seems a lot more nicer in nature these days. Does a love confession really do that much?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-10-2008, 05:08 AM
[m.3.3.w] Special A 18 (XviD) [04E808C8].avi (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=11478)
[m.3.3.w] Special A 18 (H.264) [32A9EDB6].mkv (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=11477)

Kraco
Sun, 08-10-2008, 07:56 AM
That was a very warm episode. Hikari is still as out as always but somehow even she was hanging on there.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-12-2008, 10:27 PM
That was a very warm episode.

Aye. I'm willing to say this one beats all the Kei x Hikari pairing episodes. Like I've said before, I find the Tadashi x Akira's relationship to have the most "feeling", and the insert song only brings it out more.

Next week's should be just as fun to watch, with the rather "out of the blue" pairing of Megumi and Yahiro.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Yahiro x Megumi, a pairing out of the left.

[m.3.3.w] Special A 19 (XviD) [22E17B5B].avi (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=11948)
[m.3.3.w] Special A 19 (H.264) [63D96F47].mkv (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=11947)

Kraco
Sun, 08-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Now that was surprising. Megumi started to talk. The episode was worth it for that alone! Yahiro kept dutifully up the bad boy image.

kenren
Sun, 08-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Beginning of the episode, I was like O_O...To think Megumi falls in love with Yahiro when she doesn't show any sign. Anyway, another great episode. Kei must have been shocked XD.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-18-2008, 03:26 AM
As soon as Hikari sneaked onto the door step, I knew we were in for some good comedy. I just didn't know it would be that funny. Random touching and confession FTW! It was awesome to see Kei freaked out so much that he had to escape.

Megumu x Yahiro felt really awkward at first, but after hearing the reason and some development, they seem to do well as a pair.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Special A 20 (XviD) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=12568)
Special A 20 (h264) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=12567)

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-03-2008, 03:47 AM
GrandDad Kei:

Special A 21 (XviD) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=13466)
Special A 21 (h264) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=13465)

kenren
Wed, 09-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Hikari's expression when Kei boldly said about Hikari loving him was gold! :)

Kraco
Thu, 09-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Hikari's density is getting to absurd levels... But it looks like Kei isn't anymore bothered by it that much.

I was wondering ten episodes ago how they are going to come up with stuff for another dozen episodes, and they pretty effortlessly did, I have to admit that. I suppose it was mainly due to the other characters, though, seeing how the Hikari-Kei relationship is still really circling the same issue it already was during the first episodes. Now they only invent new angles to show the same vista. Not that I'm really complaining, though. It's amusing enough as it is.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Special A 22 (XviD) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=13737)
Special A 22 (h264) (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=13736)

----------------------------------------------------
I just watched both 21 and 22 together, and I have to say, I loved the Kei thing. What letter come after J was awesome, and so was the love=loser part.

Guess there's nowhere where Takashima Corp's influence doesn't reach. Looking forward to an episode staring the locked-out S.A.

Kraco
Mon, 09-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Too bad it'll be soon over. But based on this episode, despite the small setback, it looks like this might indeed end with Kei and Hikari together. Not a huge surprise of course, but it could have ended empty like so many comedies. With the numerous shoujo style scenes, though, it's more or less given something should be concluded.

It's hard to imagine how the Takashima Corp really could do anything if Kei indeed is handling as much of the business as they suggest from time to time. It's not like the dude would be needing any extra encouragement to join the business world under such circumstances. The contrary could of course happen. But I suppose the plot of this series isn't quite that deep.

narutosharingan
Mon, 09-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Glad to see Hikari finally understand

Kraco
Tue, 09-16-2008, 01:35 AM
Locked-out S.A:

Episode 23 h264 - m.3.3.w (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=14139)
Episode 23 xvid - m.3.3.w (http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=14140)

narutosharingan
Thu, 09-18-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm assuming the gang'll go to Europe and everything will end loveydovey.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 09-18-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm assuming the gang'll go to Europe and everything will end loveydovey.

That's very foreseeable, but SA's execution has been done so well that I'm not even worried they're using such a cliche plot. In fact, I demand a loveydovey ending!!

Also, I believe this is the first time Kei has dismissed a challenge with Hikari.

Kraco
Mon, 09-22-2008, 02:32 AM
Don't call me Miss Rank Two!

Episode 24 Final h264 - m.3.3.w (http://forum.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=14380)
Episode 24 Final xvid - m.3.3.w (http://forum.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=14381)

kenren
Mon, 09-22-2008, 11:09 AM
The kiss we've been waiting for! =)
I'm definitely putting this series to the "to be watched again" list of mine.

Kraco
Mon, 09-22-2008, 11:21 AM
It was a decent enough series. Nothing major to complain about. This last episode was quite out there, but then again, so has been much of the series. However, one thing that wasn't really explained is how the whole issue of Kei having to leave was solved. The scumbag dude gave up but wasn't he only some errand boy? What about Kei's grandfather? Surely he was somehow behind the decision.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-23-2008, 03:44 AM
It was a decent enough series. Nothing major to complain about. This last episode was quite out there, but then again, so has been much of the series. However, one thing that wasn't really explained is how the whole issue of Kei having to leave was solved. The scumbag dude gave up but wasn't he only some errand boy? What about Kei's grandfather? Surely he was somehow behind the decision.

They said he was an erratic one. I would think something like he was watching the whole thing, and in particular approved of Hikari. It's great how they've kept the superhuman feats and comedy all the way this episode, as well as the conclusive kiss and the return of Miss Number Two. Truly representative of the last 24eps that makes S.A. the light and fun series it's been.

Thoroughly enjoyable. Definitely recommended. :)

Personal favourite moments this episode: Megumi's Sonic Nuke, Yahiro's "atmosphere" and the midnight kiss.