PDA

View Full Version : Today I witnessed friendship

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-08-2008, 05:53 AM
Today I was heading home after uni like every other weekday. I missed the connecting bus (like most days) and had to wait half an hour for the next. I sat there, waiting, shivering as I waited for the next bus to come, secretly hoping the last one would roll up late. It was windy and dark; the start of a typical winter storm. As I sat there, wearing clothes that were obviously not designed to keep you warm, I looked around in hope for some distraction.

I turned at a sound, and saw a familiar sight. A group of seven or so guys and a girl who I see occasionally at the interchange rocked up, complete with nose rings, cigarettes and rat tails. I had nothing against any of those things, but you get the picture. Probably the neighbourhood wanna-be-gangster teens out to get pissed again, a few bystanders and I had to endure half an hour of their loud convos, of which every second word was f*ck, and the other c*nt.

Twenty minutes later, another girl and a few more guys showed up, and the groups exchanged friendly greetings; the guys did their gangster shakes, and the girls hugged everyone. Now that f*ck and c*nt were sounded at twice the fequency, I took out my ipod and turned it up as much as my eardrums would allow.

In the next ten minutes, I noticed one member was acting rather differently. The second girl, obviously drunk (and perhaps overdosed on whatever the hell she found), was waddling back and forth, waving her arm lazily, and not making much sense. (I couldn't hear, but you could tell from the other's faces.) They knew that too, and took the moment to bounce her around in circles, laughing at her effort to resist.

She finally sat down to take a rest, and the group resumed their exchange of insults. By this time the line for the bus had grown considerably, and I didn't know if I was lucky or not to have missed the first bus. The wind picked up, and I drew my shirt closer as indulged in my music, longing for my trip home.

The bus finally showed up five minutes before schedule, and the driver decided to take a break. The teens, finally deciding to line up, stood up and walked. All except one girl.

While the rest moved, the drunk girl sat with her head in her knees. She was obviously cold, dressing even less than I did, but she made no attempt to warm herself. One of her friends came over to wake her, but she made no response. Another shook her, but she didn't notice. A few more unsuccessful attempts followed, and they finally gave up. Gathering whatever change they had left from last night's booze, the teens proceeded to the end of the line.

A few adults, including me, looked worriedly between the girl and her friends. Some wondered what was wrong with her. Some seemed to know. But none cared enough to approach her. I noticed the teens would look over their shoulders every so often to see if she moved. My gaze darted from the girl to the gang, then to the driver, and back to the girl. When the bus driver put away his paper and started the ignition, I left the queue.

I walked back out of the station towards the shopping center immediately adjacent. I looked around for the security guards who patrolled the complex, and I located one near the taxi lane talking to a cabbie. I approached him, and noticed he was the same one that came by the stop earlier to check the kids. One of them, it seems, was infamous around here.

I tried explaining the situation to him, and he seemed to get what I was saying when I said "she's not responding." I brought him over to the bus stop and showed him the girl. After having a look at the girl, who remained silent, he called control center and waited for backup.

Having done my job, I lined up at the end of the now almost non-existent queue and looked forward to my long deserving trip home. The guard asked the teens a few questions, and I heard them speak along the lines of "yeah, we know her." and "We were gonna take her home." But without so much as a worried look, they hastily disappeared into the bus, eager to binge as much as possible before the night was over. By the time I reached the door, the bus was already packed, and a few old ladies and I had to wait for the next one, half an hour later.

I sat down again, and watched the guard do his job. A senior security guard arrived, and between them they managed to wake the girl, who claimed she was merely asleep. Not satisfied, the two guards stood nearby while they reported back via telecom. It was at this point that I resumed my music, and shivered at the grey, rumbling sky.

Later on, the unmistakable pungent of wine filled the air. One guard ran off towards the storeroom, while the senior one stayed with the girl and the red, splattered mess underneath her. When she was ready to walk, the guard shepherded her into the complex, while the other one came back with a bucket and mop.

So now I'm here back in my cozy room, thinking about what happened this evening. This was a rather valuable experience for me. A year ago, I witnessed a car accident at that very bus station. Back then, I was only staring at it, and as others rushed over to help, I had the role of looking after everyone's bags. Today, I was again, looking at the girl, wondering in my mind what, if at all, should I do. In the end, I called for help. Now I know that was the right thing to do. Next time, I think I would be able to do it with much less, if any hesitation.

In the end, I didn't regret leaving the queue. I didn't think it was unfair I had to wait in the cold for an hour. I just hoped when that girl sobers up, she realises just how caring her good friends were.

Kraco
Tue, 04-08-2008, 06:28 AM
I just hoped when that girl sobers up, she realises just how caring her good friends were.

Somehow I doubt they are that kind of friends. And if she has any wits, she has realised that a long time ago if they are just together to get drunk and do other... nonprofit activities in a loud and obscene manner. She could learn, though, to better understand her own limits.

Sapphire
Tue, 04-08-2008, 06:57 AM
She prolly didn't learn crap and thought she got lucky. I wonder if when she next sees her friends they will make excuses and she will beliebe them?

But kudos, Buffalo!

toonice714
Tue, 04-08-2008, 07:52 AM
thats sad. Its also refreshing to hear that there are still people who have decent upbringings. You are a decent person. Wasn't sure if there were many of us left

Genma
Tue, 04-08-2008, 08:25 AM
I thought this would be profound or something, but after wasting my time reading it I came to the conclusion that you called security on a person blacked out from alcohol...

Woo, and now you're flaunting it like you're a hero because her friends left her there? If I was her, I probably would've preferred to be passed out and alone over having to deal with security while shitfaced, even if there was a storm.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-08-2008, 08:33 AM
I thought this would be profound or something, but after wasting my time reading it I came to the conclusion that you called security on a person blacked out from alcohol...

Woo, and now you're flaunting it like you're a hero because her friends left her there? If I was her, I probably would've preferred to be passed out and alone over having to deal with security while shitfaced, even if there was a storm.

Hmm, if it came out that way, I guess my writing style needs some work. No flaunting intended, nor felt. I just thought it was...interesting. Something to share, that's all. Guess there's always two sides to a coin.

I agree a little with the time wasting. I should have spent less time on that post and a bit more on my assignment. :)

David75
Tue, 04-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Done that.
Someone's heart was stopped. Someone I knew a bit, because he was in the neighborhood.
Called for help, tried to do something while waiting.
The guy lived for another 5 years and got to see his grandchildren.

However, some policemen told me for 15 minutes I could have had great problems for trying to help while help was coming... Got mixed feelings at the time.
Then, every time I saw him, he kept telling me I should have let him go...

But I regret nothing, plus I could have been charged if I had done nothing... not that it was the thing that motivated me in acting. Just that when something like that happens, you do what you feel is right... or you don't depending on so many factors. And if you do something, it doesn't mean it was the right choice either. Regardless of what you do, the result may be neither good, nor bad. It's just you're caught in a situation where you're screwed from the start.

Regarding Buffalobiian, people have to think that witnessing people in trouble, and passing by is very hard. Because remorse always strikes back.

Animeniax
Tue, 04-08-2008, 09:38 AM
I almost always do something because I prefer facing the consequences of my actions over the nagging guilt or remorse I feel when I do nothing. If I fail to act, sometimes I think about it for years, and just when I think I've gotten over it, something happens to remind me of the event and it sucks all over again.

@Buffalobiian: don't mind Genma, he's just rationalizing his own cowardice.

edit: btw, was she hot, and if so, did you get her number?

Board of Command
Tue, 04-08-2008, 12:05 PM
By the way, the proper word is "queue."

KitKat
Tue, 04-08-2008, 01:03 PM

I was a frosh week rep at my university long enough to know that alcohol poisoning is not something you mess around with. At that point, there's real danger of the person dying either by choking on their own vomit, or just stopping breathing. The absolute worst thing to do is to leave people alone like this. Someone needs to stay with them, no matter if they resent it the next day. Even if she wasn't into the danger zone yet, better to be safe than have her die at the bus stop.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-09-2008, 04:39 AM
@David75: So true.

@Animeniax: Thanks.

btw, was she hot, and if so, did you get her number?
lol. That's so like you to ask that. :). No, and she wasn't in a state to recite that many digits.

@BoC: Thank you. Post now edited.

@KitKat: I think that was my main concern. Having finished a full day of lectures, I had drug poisoning and drug toxicity echoing in my head. Hope you all enjoyed the story.

Chiodos
Wed, 04-09-2008, 02:57 PM
I did enjoy the story and are quite amazed that you spend your time writing it in detal and such.

And I thought your topic name is adorible x)!

RyougaZell
Sat, 04-12-2008, 10:43 AM

Even the smallest things to be done are good. Even if you just call someone else, you at least tried to help. If he had not called the security personnel, no one would have, and that girl could have had another 'end'.

Buffalobiian:
Helping a complete stranger, and one of an annoying group (because of how they behaved), takes a lot of balls, if you would forgive the expression (especially for the ladies reading). Its just that I can not really express it another way... nice.

masamuneehs
Thu, 04-17-2008, 02:04 AM
shitty thread title, but good story, good for you, at least.

i know this is going to totally sound like bragging, but this happened to me the other day and it's something i've wanted to write down for awhile. it's sticking with me...

so one weekend night it's a friend's birthday and we all decide to go into the city for a late night concert. the bands were technoish DJ artists and the venue was B.B. King's in Times Square, a late midnight start.

we get there and I immediately can tell this is way more of a club circuit than what i'm used too, but it's not bad, and it's actually a pretty good time. it starts getting crowded around 1:30, and the show really starts taking off after the first group goes off. People are pretty fucked up, and it's not just from the $5 Magic Hats.

I'm feeling pretty good. I'd gotten into a conversation with a few girls while waiting on line outside, and I was in rare form, doing pretty well striking up conversation with random strangers and the few friends of friends I was seeing for the first time. i'd come to have a good time, and at these kind of rave/techno shows, it's going to be a pretty sexually charged atmosphere, so i'm going out there looking for what's good.

now one of the first people i noticed after getting settled into our area of the club was a girl, quite on the husky side, and some of the people she was with. i noticed her because i noticed her noticing me, and made the instant 'No' decision in my mind. really, she was one of the least attractive girls there.

but at around 3 or so I look over and notice her, and I just sorta freeze in my tracks. She'd been trying to dance all night, but now she was just looking off with this really miserable, wretched look on her face. And out of nowhere I was just struck with empathy for her, because I felt like I'd had that look on my face so many times in my life and remembered right then, when i was feeling like a million bucks, how shitty it felt to be like that.

and i went up to her and said, "hey." and she said hey back and I asked her if she was okay. she told me that she was 'alright' but that she hadn't seen her friends in awhile, and she was a little worried about them. it was clear to me that she was on something (E most likely), and it was pretty obvious i'd come up to her because i thought something was wrong with her. i said something forgetable about her not needing to worry about her friends.

then she asked me if i knew with the bathrooms were. i told her, they were way over on the other side of the club, past the bar and stage gaggle. she said that she felt like she should go. as mysteriously happens with people tripping, she somehow communicated enough nonverbal signals to me to leave no doubt in my mind that I should get her there.

so i took a look at her, looked over as much of the crowd as i could see, and I took her by the hand and led her to the bathroom. i'm also usually quite polite when i walk through a crowd. alot of 'pardon me' and 'sorry', but this time i made it pretty clear that i was in a hurry, and that courtesy was secondary to speed right now for me.

and we get there in the nick of time and she goes in. i wait until she comes out. and when she comes out, she says, "thank you for coming up to me back there. I was just..." and she got that sad look on her face remembering, and I don't know why but I hugged her then. it just felt like the right thing to do. and she's clearly surprised for a moment, but then she puts her arms around me and hugs me back. and then of course she starts crying you know.

so i let her cry for a little and eventually she's clearly going to be okay. and the band is taking a break, so its quieter and we go sit down and i tell her the stupid little story i always tell people when it's clear that they're nervous and want someone else to do some talking and all I can think about is the time I tried and tried and tried to get the Magic Hat bottle cap (which, coincidentally or not, happened at B.B. King's too)... so that's the story i tell her, and at the end she chuckles a little, and then she says again, "thank you for coming up to me".

and i try to tell her it was nothing, and that it was good to meet her and everything. but she insists, and she keeps telling me how she was in such a bad place mentally and that I came up to her to help her at what felt like the last possible second. and suddenly this really good feeling hits me, and it just sweeps me away, I feel great, but almost foggy in the head. and we say goodbye and i go to find my friends, and the rest of the night was another long story but at the end i'm sitting out on my friends' roof and the sun is already up and I say, "Man, I know this is going to sound really egotistical or something, but I helped this girl out at the show tonight and it just fucking made my night." and he said something about that being because I made hers, and I have no idea why this reminded me of that story. but there it is.

Chiodos
Sun, 04-20-2008, 10:28 AM
That was a very, very, very long post. But hey, me bored and it's sunday (right now). Atleast it's pretty.

python862
Mon, 04-21-2008, 11:42 AM
So was she on the verge of suicide, do you think? Then again, why else would she say that she thought that it was at 'the last possible moment'.

Mizuchi
Tue, 04-22-2008, 06:15 PM
That girl.... was me....

lol jk, bravo senor. I enjoyed the story.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-22-2008, 06:21 PM
So was she on the verge of suicide, do you think? Then again, why else would she say that she thought that it was at 'the last possible moment'.

I was wondering about what would have happened if masa didn't show up. Guess it's best not to find out. Nice read.

"Man, I know this is going to sound really egotistical or something, but I helped this girl out at the show tonight and it just fucking made my night." and he said something about that being because I made hers

Knowing that you helped someone is enough to justify. Them appreciating it just makes it all the more worth while.

masamuneehs
Mon, 04-28-2008, 05:23 PM
nah, i don't think i saved her life or anything like that...

like i said before, she was certainly on something. And it wasn't something minor. People on stuff like E that aren't having a good time (being overweight in a very sexually charged club atmosphere and then losing your friends) can get really down on themselves. Probably not enough to go and kill yourself, but you can get pretty low without being suicidal.

I was wondering what she meant by 'at the last possible moment' too, and I think she meant that it was the last possible moment for something to happen to take her mind off of whatever was causing her anguish. You know how sometimes you can be having a bad day, and then a friend calls you and it cheers you up? But sometimes you've already had such a bad day that even when that friend calls you it isn't enough to raise your spirits.

I really don't know. I have no doubt I'll never see her again. But that's how it goes.

Chiodos
Tue, 04-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Wouldn't it be awkard, seeing her again, just the two of you? I mean, that time you wear the Savior but now..

python862
Tue, 04-29-2008, 02:37 PM
You know how sometimes you can be having a bad day, and then a friend calls you and it cheers you up? But sometimes you've already had such a bad day that even when that friend calls you it isn't enough to raise your spirits.
I try to make it a point not to have these kinds of days, because then you know you're absolutely hopeless. Depression once settled in on my father recently. Lemme tell you what, that was a crazy time. I think that's probably the reason why I got grounded when I missed three days of school. Ah well. That's a story for another time and another thread. As Buffalo said, just the fact that you did something good for someone you don't even know is a big sign of character.