PDA

View Full Version : Reputation

Archangel
Tue, 03-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Shouldn't all reps show the name of the user who gave it to us? It's really annoying when u just get random bad rep from idiots that didnt explain y they gave it to you or just didnt read the freaking post correctly and decided to hit the rep button for giggles

complich8
Tue, 03-25-2008, 12:11 PM
No. Reps are anonymous to discourage "rep cliques" -- which is how it's been since we started, and how it's going to stay.

Mods and admins can still view who repped them (and others), but regular users are not able to do so.

Archangel
Tue, 03-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Sorry im a litle confused, what exactly is a "rep clique"?

complich8
Tue, 03-25-2008, 12:43 PM
small group of people working together to artificially inflate their reputations.

Anonymity mitigates this. Since you don't know who repped you, you can't "thank" them by repping them back. Neither can you retaliate against them if they negatively repped you.

When the system was new, I had a couple scripts and queries that also looked for patterns of people repping each other frequently...

Junior
Tue, 03-25-2008, 03:22 PM
I was wondering this same thing. Thanks for clearing it up. ^^;

But sometimes people do leave helpful...critism. o.o So it's not all that bad.

Sapphire
Tue, 03-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Actually back in '05 I was a little scared to post because I get neg repped for joking in a srs thread. :(

Junior
Tue, 03-25-2008, 03:59 PM
It happens to me too! People get way too touchy. D:

I think it happens to all...new people?

Munsu
Tue, 03-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Or maybe you guys crying about being neg repped are actually the ones getting too touchy?

Sapphire
Tue, 03-25-2008, 04:17 PM
This was also true (though I was a bit young)

Junior
Tue, 03-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Or maybe you guys crying about being neg repped are actually the ones getting too touchy?

Eh. most likely.

>.> Maybe we're all touchy on this forum.

Board of Command
Tue, 03-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Whoever neg repped me I will hunt you down and do this and that to you.

Assassin
Tue, 03-25-2008, 07:40 PM

Read: Ha! i neg repped all you bitches!

Animeniax
Wed, 03-26-2008, 04:45 AM
Notice how many of the mods have high rep, even though they seem to be jerks. Makes you wonder if some sort of rep clique action isn't already afoot.

I personally try to leave my signature when I rep someone. If not a signature, then you can plainly tell who I am from my remarks and from what post I'm repping.

I wish others were so courteous.

kAi
Wed, 03-26-2008, 07:01 AM
I forgot all about the rep, heh.

I miss my bad rep.

Munsu
Wed, 03-26-2008, 08:10 AM
I personally try to leave my signature when I rep someone. If not a signature, then you can plainly tell who I am from my remarks and from what post I'm repping.

I wish others were so courteous.

Too bad that's against the rules... if comp catches you doing it, you're gone.

Animeniax
Wed, 03-26-2008, 08:21 AM
Too bad that's against the rules... if comp catches you doing it, you're gone.
Can you direct me to a link where it says this. I searched all the rules threads and can't find anything concerning the rep system. I'm not doubting you or anything :rolleyes: I just want to see what other rules there are concerning reputation that I don't want to break. Thanks.

edit: oh nevermind, I found this:

Finally, a new guideline: quit signing your reps. It's ok if you sign a rep that's thanking someone for someone doing a favor for you (like ... making you a new sig, or solving a problem for you), or if you're asking a favor from them (like, "please pm me that link"). But if you're signing most of your hits, it will be interpreted as rep solicitation, and punished severely (like ... re-squarerooting your received hits, or simply disabling your ability to leave rep).
The punishment doesn't seem quite as harsh as you try to make it sound. Still, probably better not to do it.

Junior
Wed, 03-26-2008, 12:15 PM
I was neg repped for this thread! ;_;

But anyway, I didn't know about the...signing thing, so I won't do it in the future then. >.>;

So strict.

Archangel
Wed, 03-26-2008, 12:27 PM
That's just weird. Is it that wrong to agree with someone's point and send a signed rep showing that you agree? I mean the fact that you have to rep many other people before you can rep the same person isn't enought to stop those rep cliques?

Animeniax
Wed, 03-26-2008, 12:47 PM
I agree with the Archangel. From my experience on the negative side of reputation, not allowing signatures let's people post whatever comment they want without owning up to it, and at the same time reduces the effectiveness of the feedback. A statement like "you're a f*cking moron who needs to die" means a lot more coming from certain posters that I respect, versus if it comes from some idiot or newbie I don't respect. That sort of feedback from a respected poster could actually make me change my posting habits. Otherwise it's just something to laugh at.

complich8
Wed, 03-26-2008, 02:30 PM
ehh, in the case of Animeniax, I don't care if he signs or not, because with his absurdly low reputation he's below the cutoff where his comments count.

In the case of the rest of you, now that the system's pretty much broken in and my life's a good deal busier, I don't really think about it or look at it too much unless someone's complaining about being rep-harassed or something. So if you sign your reps, I don't care too much,

Most of the early drama about the system's pretty well dissipated, at any rate. Now that we've got a couple people who broke out the top of it and got custom titles and such, I don't think people care as much about it as they used to. I view this as a positive thing.

NM
Wed, 03-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Mods and admins can still view who repped them (and others), but regular users are not able to do so.

Strange...I'm not able to see that on mine. Granted most of the reps I got were from birthday threads so its easy to tell who it was. :p

EDIT: Nevermind...I have the power!!!

Board of Command
Fri, 03-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Strange...I'm not able to see that on mine. Granted most of the reps I got were from birthday threads so its easy to tell who it was. :p

EDIT: Nevermind...I have the power!!!
But the question is: are you rich?

Archangel
Fri, 03-28-2008, 09:12 AM
But the question is: are you rich?

The real question is, why do you care?

I still think that at least bad rep should be signed since that won't let ppl get away with just random crap adn negative rep cliques dont really last that long.

Animeniax
Fri, 03-28-2008, 11:26 AM
I don't know about that. Lucifus and joker-kun held grudges against me for a while when I gave them shit on the forums. If they could, they would have garbage-repped others repeatedly just to get back to neg-repping me. But I do support your thoughts on signing neg-reps, just so people can't say whatever they want anonymously.

Archangel
Fri, 03-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Err it's not a question of signing, because if i wanted i could neg rep u and write "by abdula" or something. the name should already be there

Animeniax
Fri, 03-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Good point. I was thinking people should be both man enough to sign and take credit for their words, which would make it unnecessary to auto-sign a rep. What world am I living in though, right?

Archangel
Fri, 03-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Well the thing is that apparently that is forbidden...

I still don't see what's so horrible about thanking someone with good rep i mean the fact that u can only rep a couple of people everyday and that you have to wait a while b4 u can rep the same person again already does the job of avoiding those rep cliques doesnt it?

Animeniax
Fri, 03-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Sorry man, give it up. gotwoot fears change.

KitKat
Fri, 03-28-2008, 03:00 PM
We have been over this is great detail in the past, but let me lay it out for you, so you understand exactly why the system functions as it does.

First off, rep is not a pure and empirical measure of the quality of your posts. At best, it's more of a popularity contest than anything else. You just have to accept the fact that people will give you neg rep just because they don't like you. They can do that. It's perfectly within the rules. Conversely, people will give you positive rep often on the same whimsical basis, because they like you. I don't think you need to know the identities of all your reppers to figure out who likes you and who doesn't on the forums. Our members here aren't too shy about telling someone to their face if they think they're an idiot.

Second, there ARE ways to abuse the rep system, and the rules in place try to prevent that. In the past, we had a group of a few people that repped each other 90% of the time, as much as possible. Some people in this group also frequently signed their name when repping outside of the group, which created a sense of obligation in the beneficiary to 'return the favor'. Thus, their rep skyrocketed on the forum. Likewise, some people would give out 'retaliatory reps' when they thought someone had neg repped them. Gotwoot is more like a school playground than you would think, and it can get ridiculous and petty like that. Hence, we have rules in place to try to protect the ideals of the system. They're not perfect, but they will hopefully prevent repeats of these incidents. If you want to read the entire history of how these rules came into being, just search for the previous rep threads, and read the drama as it unfolded.

So what it comes down to is: don't take rep too seriously. I doubt the rules regarding it are going to change anytime soon.

Paper
Tue, 01-13-2009, 03:50 PM
I was wondering how Reputation really works. How many reps do you need to get a green rep notches or visa versa? And is there a post system that upgrades your title? Example, I'm consider a "student" while some other members have "anbu," "Mist Lord" e.t.c

I know many probably would get pissed for the revivle, but all the other Reputation threads had been locked. I just want to know how the system works.

Nadouku
Tue, 01-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Reputation can be either recieved or given out. Reputation used to have a point system, but that's been turned off due to complaints. :p

Basically, people rep. you, either good or bad, and that goes towards your invisible point system. The higher the rep., you more points you get or lose. Once you reach a certain amount of points, you get another green box. Max green boxes is 10.

As for the title system, it depends on the amount of posts you have. Like right now, you're a Genin for surpassing 50 posts. I have no idea how many titles are out there since they update the list consistently. Custom title is awarded for people who surpass a certain amount of points in the reputation status.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 01-13-2009, 05:15 PM
See here for points calculations: (irrelevant now since you can't see your points)

http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=385611&postcount=422

But, that's how much repping power users can give you.

200pts per green bar

Accumulate 1500pts (half way through your second shiny) for custom title.

samsonlonghair
Thu, 08-20-2009, 07:26 PM
A thought came to mind.

I'd like to suggest disabling reputation in the Flaming pit. I don't post there very often, and I've never gotten repped for anything I've said there; it just seems like a good idea. Post count doesn't rise in the Flaming pit, so reputation shouldn't change either.

By its nature, the flaming pit is home to inflamatory nonsense. That's what it was designed for I suppose. Some users probably get hurt feelings from what a total stranger said on the internet.

I have no idea how much work this would this would cost comp. So forgive me if I'm asking you to move mountains. It was just an idea, and much like my smelly flatulence, I believe my bad ideas should be shared with everyone.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 08-20-2009, 07:42 PM
A thought came to mind.

I'd like to suggest disabling reputation in the Flaming pit. I don't post there very often, and I've never gotten repped for anything I've said there; it just seems like a good idea. Post count doesn't rise in the Flaming pit, so reputation shouldn't change either.

By its nature, the flaming pit is home to inflamatory nonsense. That's what it was designed for I suppose. Some users probably get hurt feelings from what a total stranger said on the internet.

I have no idea how much work this would this would cost comp. So forgive me if I'm asking you to move mountains. It was just an idea, and much like my smelly flatulence, I believe my bad ideas should be shared with everyone.

I don't quite get what you're saying. Are you suggesting that people shouldn't get repped on comments made in the pit? Or that someone would get upset from a comment and neg-rep people's flames despite it being the whole point of the pit?

I ask because in either way, if someone felt that badly about it, they'd just rep the same user in a post outside the pit.

Sapphire
Thu, 08-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Activity on this forum is low enough, Flame Pit is where a lot of users hang out. If you disable rep there you're disabling rep on a big chunk of activity.