PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Japan

Sapphire
Sat, 03-22-2008, 10:26 AM
This thread is for those of us who are interested in visiting Japan one day, already have, or are there right now.

If you've been to Japan, what was your experience like there? This is a great place to discuss how you were treated, what you liked the most and disliked the most, where you went, your preferred method of transportation, etc.

I've never been there but I'm going to Tokyo this summer. Anyone have any tips on what the newcomer should do, how they should compose themselves (because I know many of them inwardly hate foreiners) etc?

Psyke
Sat, 03-22-2008, 10:58 AM
I love Japan. Been going there for holidays every year for the last 3 years. It's a good way to measure how much I've leveled up in my spoken Japanese, though I usually get disappointed because I'm still a long way off. There are a few staple destinations in Tokyo I'd visit, such as Akihabara (for all the anime freaks), Odaiba for the shopping districts and also Asakusa, which my wife says got her prayers answered every year.

The Japanese have been really friendly and polite, but maybe that's because I'm asian and look like one of them, so I can't comment on their so called "hate" towards gaijin or foreigners.

Anyway, here's a video of my trip to Tokyo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJz9-9qTHFM) last year, in case you haven't seen it already. :)

Board of Command
Sat, 03-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Anyway, here's a video of my trip to Tokyo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJz9-9qTHFM) last year, in case you haven't seen it already. :)
Nice video How long did you stay?

Psyke
Sat, 03-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Nice video How long did you stay?

I stayed for 5 days, free and easy. Visited quite a lot of places, mostly by the subway trains. Stayed in a cheap hotel instead of a traditional inn, because my wife preferred not to share the bathroom. :p

Sapphire
Sat, 03-22-2008, 12:58 PM
How fluent do you have to be to survive in Japan?

Board of Command
Sat, 03-22-2008, 01:10 PM
How fluent do you have to be to survive in Japan?
You're probably good to go after a few years of anime, assuming you've made a conscious effort to learn the language while watching instead of mindlessly reading the subtitles.

Junior
Sat, 03-22-2008, 01:33 PM
OMG I was just reminded I gotta start learning Japanese again. I bought that damn programme so I might as well use it. (Cost me 500 bucks too...)

Anyway, I've always wanted to visit Japan. Mainly because I'd be able to dress normally and not have people look at me funny. I've seen all kinds of different and unique fashion come from Japan. They seem very...accepting there.

That and I wanna go to Akihabara. *-*

Board of Command
Sat, 03-22-2008, 01:37 PM
What do you mean dress "normally"? What kind of stuff do you normally wear?

DB_Hunter
Sat, 03-22-2008, 01:38 PM
In a few years Japan shall be known as the land of the old.

Junior
Sat, 03-22-2008, 01:41 PM
I just dress...weirdly. My parents are always on my case saying I turn everything into a fashion show or I get too dressed up. When it's actually...my normal wear.

I think it's because I just watch too much anime and play too many video games. People should learn not to implement anime fashion into the real world.

;_;

Board of Command
Sat, 03-22-2008, 01:44 PM
I just dress...weirdly. My parents are always on my case saying I turn everything into a fashion show or I get too dressed up. When it's actually...my normal wear.

I think it's because I just watch too much anime and play too many video games. People should learn not to implement anime fashion into the real world.

;_;
Useless without pics. Google'd pics are fine too, just to get an idea of what you're talking about.

Junior
Sat, 03-22-2008, 02:13 PM
http://i2.bebo.com/036b/13/medium/2007/05/05/01/1180531768a4285647013b76066904m.jpg
Except. I wear more colorful outfits sometimes. It's sometimes goth, sometimes punk, sometimes Disney-themed... whatever the hell I feel like. It's just weird here because everyone here dresses like a chav.

Sapphire
Sat, 03-22-2008, 02:20 PM
You're probably good to go after a few years of anime, assuming you've made a conscious effort to learn the language while watching instead of mindlessly reading the subtitles.
This made me laugh so hard for some reason. I don't really know why.

I took Japanese 1 a few years ago... if I kept learning at the same pace I would be so good by now *cries*

Lolita rules. (the fashion) But I heard most teens only dress like that on the weekends, or in certain districts.

Junior
Sat, 03-22-2008, 02:30 PM
>.> If I had continued learning after those 3 days I might've been able to say a sentence now. D:

Yeah, it depends a lot. I get dressed on weekends. During the week, I come home and wear pjs. >.>; But I'm too old to be a teenager anyway

Hey, are the people in Japan friendly towards tourists?

Animeniax
Sat, 03-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Though I look down on foreigners visiting Japan, I suppose you'll go anyway, so I might as well help. I look Japanese but don't speak it fluently or read/write it well, so my experience in Japan will be different from your's and even Psyke's.

You'll want to ride the train around Tokyo on the JR Yamanote line to see each of the distinct areas of Tokyo. I imagine you'll be staying with your brother, but if not, keep in mind that hotels fill up quick on Saturdays, around holidays, and for special events. Definitely visit Asakusa, Shibuya, Harajuku, Ueno station, Tokyo station, Ikebukuro, and Akihabara. If you like shopping for expensive name brand stuff, visit Ginza or Roppongi Hills, or pretty much anywhere in Tokyo.

You'll be perplexed that a lot of touristy places don't have many English speaking guides or information centers. Your best bet is to look for other foreigners and ask them for help, though I stopped doing that since I wanted to be more immersed in the people and culture.

You should learn this one sentence: "eigo, dekimasu ka?" which translates to "Do you speak English". They'll usually either reply "yes" or "dekimasen" (I am not skilled [at English]).

Junior, please keep on topic. You can start another thread about your fashion sense, which will probably get more replies than this thread, especially if you include pictures. Thanks!

Junior
Sat, 03-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Sorry Ani. ^^; It's all BOC's fault. ><

That would make my trip to Japan complicated...I suppose it's definitely best to learn the language so I could always ask people there what the signs say or something.

Or...bring someone along who reads Japanese.

I take it you've been to Japan? o.o

Sapphire
Sat, 03-22-2008, 03:19 PM
There's books out there that have pictures of all the common signs in Japan and translations, so I'm not -too- worried about that. Not that I'd drive, ahah

Animeniax
Sat, 03-22-2008, 03:32 PM
I've been three times, for a total of 6 weeks. You can get by without speaking or reading Japanese, but then you're just another tourist and you'll be sort of relegated to the touristy activities. You can check for guides, usually free or for a small fee, to help you see the sights or just get around. Don't bother getting a car, especially if you're only going to be in Tokyo. Trains and subways will get you pretty much everywhere you'd want to go.

Forget what you learned in anime. Do not use 'yo' at the end of sentences unless you're mad. Pretty much stick a "kudasai" or "onegaishimasu" after everything you say, which means "please" or is just being polite. You'll definitely want to learn "sumimasen" which means "excuse me" to get someone's attention or to excuse yourself for being a dumb tourist or for inconveniencing someone.

Board of Command
Sat, 03-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Sorry Ani. ^^; It's all BOC's fault. ><
Please don't scapegoat me.

DB_Hunter
Sat, 03-22-2008, 04:52 PM
It's just weird here because everyone here dresses like a chav.

Chav...? Now where did you pick up that word from I wonder.

Animeniax
Sun, 03-23-2008, 12:33 AM
The Japanese have been really friendly and polite, but maybe that's because I'm asian and look like one of them, so I can't comment on their so called "hate" towards gaijin or foreigners.

No offense Psyke, but I don't think you look quite Japanese. I make a sport of differentiating between Asian people, and I've gotten pretty good at telling people's nationalities apart.

I'm often mistaken for Japanese abroad and in Japan, but the situation turns kind of awkward when I ask a Japanese person if they speak English since I don't speak Japanese well. I've been told by other foreign-born Asians that it's because they think you're either lazy or showing off by speaking English. Of course, it could just be the language barrier that turns them away.

Probably a rash generalization, but in large cities, I think it's easier being a tourist for someone who is definitely not Japanese, since the locals think you're dumb anyway, and therefore will help you out. In smaller towns, I've seen instances where they help their own domestic visitors out, while leaving foreigners in the cold. Win some, lose some.

Psyke
Sun, 03-23-2008, 01:41 AM
No offense Psyke, but I don't think you look quite Japanese. I make a sport of differentiating between Asian people, and I've gotten pretty good at telling people's nationalities apart.

None taken, but I wasn't really saying I look Japanese, but just making a contrast statement saying I don't look like a gaijin in Japan. I've been mistaken to be Japanese a few times in Japan, but maybe it's because I can speak the language and tend to start conversations. The sucky part is that once they think you can speak Japanese, they rattle on and I've got to tell them to slow down a bit...... :o

Most of the time, they treat me and my wife like natives till we show signs of struggling when answering their questions, and then they will try to use whatever English they can master. Doesn't happen often, since I carry 2 dictionaries in the bag you see in the video. :D

Animeniax
Sun, 03-23-2008, 04:04 AM
I'd love to see the video but youtube is banned where I live and work.

I see what you're saying about being Asian (yellow). It's like in "The Good Earth" where they're from one part of China and worried about being considered foreigners in another part, until they see the real foreigners, the white people.

One giveaway that you're not Japanese is that you start conversations with strangers :D I tend to give away my foreignness by looking around while on the trains and subways, instead of staring blankly at the ground or at my cell phone, which is what 99% of the locals do. I'm also bad about making eye contact with people. I do it too often, and make Japanese people uncomfortable.

They do talk fast, don't they! It's not like in anime or j-dramas where they enunciate and it's easy to (somewhat) understand what they're saying.

Some more basic vocab for travelers:

ohayo gozaimas(u) (you'll hear this every morning from everyone, especially at restaurants and hotels), say the same in response
dozo: go ahead, after you, help yourself
eki: station (trains, subway), so you can ask to go to Shibuya station or Tokyo station
itsu: when (time)
hitori (desu): alone, by yourself (when you dine alone, and they ask you how large your party is)
kinou: yesterday
kyou: today
ashita: tomorrow
seishou densha: last train (what time is the last train to a location)

Sapphire
Sun, 03-23-2008, 09:14 AM
So it's a good idea for a tourist to not make eye contact with a Japanese native? XD

Also, what makes Japanese people immigrate, and do you think they regret it or not really mind the foreignness?

Animeniax
Sun, 03-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Do you mean immigrate or emigrate? Cause the first means to move in, the second means to move out.

I think the rigid social structure and demands of society force some Japanese to move to other countries. Japanese are very enamored with the freedom of expression and choice in the US and abroad. Also, they're very concerned with their image to the rest of the world, so success abroad is in a lot of cases more important to them than success in Japan.

Alas, Japan is not the wonderland and utopia a lot of us want to believe it is. It has it's share of problems and ugliness. If you visit Japan with that in mind, you won't be as disappointed that it's not like in anime.

I think the aversion to eye contact is prevalent anywhere in the world, but especially in Japan, where it's considered rude, just like a lot of things you might do in your home country. I went to this monkey island in Japan and there are signs up warning against staring at the monkeys, as they will take it as a challenge and attack you. Same thing applies to people.

Junior
Sun, 03-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Forget what you learned in anime. Do not use 'yo' at the end of sentences unless you're mad. Pretty much stick a "kudasai" or "onegaishimasu" after everything you say, which means "please" or is just being polite. You'll definitely want to learn "sumimasen" which means "excuse me" to get someone's attention or to excuse yourself for being a dumb tourist or for inconveniencing someone.

I have a question about the word 'kudasai'. It's used always with a verb right? But 'onegai' can be used alone?

Please don't scapegoat me.

I can and I will. <3

BOC. =)

I think the aversion to eye contact is prevalent anywhere in the world, but especially in Japan, where it's considered rude, just like a lot of things you might do in your home country. I went to this monkey island in Japan and there are signs up warning against staring at the monkeys, as they will take it as a challenge and attack you. Same thing applies to people.

Wow...I didn't know that! That's useful advice. Is it true that smiling with teeth is considered agressive in Japan? I heard it somewhere but I'm not sure if it's true.

Sapphire
Sun, 03-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Damn, I feel like this conversation is turning towards animalistic rituals lolz. Don't bare your teeth, don't look them in the eyes!

Ani: I meant emigrate, sorry.

My brother seemed to meet a lot of friends In Japan. He didn't mention anything about people being cold or unfriendly, I'll ask him about it.

KrayZ33
Sun, 03-23-2008, 01:03 PM
is there something like a samurai-festival or a museum? which has lots of samurai armors/katana weaponry? and where you get information about their lifestyle etc?

i always wanted to see someone wearing this armor.

Animeniax
Sun, 03-23-2008, 01:24 PM
I have a question about the word 'kudasai'. It's used always with a verb right? But 'onegai' can be used alone? I think kudasai is for making a request, like "please be quiet", while onegai(shimasu) is used when requesting something concrete, like a fork or chair.

Wow...I didn't know that! That's useful advice. Is it true that smiling with teeth is considered agressive in Japan? I heard it somewhere but I'm not sure if it's true.
I can't comment on the toothy smile thing, though it may have something to do with displaying the bad teeth a lot of Japanese seem to have.

Here's a picture from the monkey park I visited:
http://forums.gotwoot.net/gallery/files/1/0/8/7/0/IMG_1015.JPG

Animeniax
Sun, 03-23-2008, 02:03 PM
is there something like a samurai-festival or a museum? which has lots of samurai armors/katana weaponry? and where you get information about their lifestyle etc?

i always wanted to see someone wearing this armor.
There are samurai and ninja museums, but the ones I know of are in smaller touristy towns. Some towns have preserved the samurai districts (housing, narrow lanes) and those usually have a museum too.

Here's something to check out:
http://hisexperience.jp/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&Itemid=17&id=291

sangai
Sun, 03-23-2008, 02:21 PM
im planning on visting japan asap..for me im not sure who to fly through, where to stay.. i wanna move from the top of japan to the bottom.. id like to stay for a month or two if i could...
i know tokyo has places that i heard for 10 bucks a night you could basically sleep in a fancy 4' x 8' room LOL which id totally do.. i wanna go there to enjoy my self see the sites , take in events just enjoy the night scenery...

KrayZ33
Sun, 03-23-2008, 02:29 PM
im planning on visting japan asap..for me im not sure who to fly through, where to stay.. i wanna move from the top of japan to the bottom.. id like to stay for a month or two if i could...
i know tokyo has places that i heard for 10 bucks a night you could basically sleep in a fancy 4' x 8' room LOL which id totally do.. i wanna go there to enjoy my self see the sites , take in events just enjoy the night scenery...

trust me you won't have fun when u rush from one place to another... it might be interesting in the beginning but after a while it will get on your nerves.. at least thats what i m thinking.. i m not the type who likes to wander through a whole country especially when i'm alone, for me the best thing would be a place where i have to work a bit, thats the best way to get used to the new culture etc. (in my opinion)
and you get to know some people there and if you do it right they'll always welcome you when you go to the same country again and visit them.

well but then again, flying to japan is really expensive so its probably better to stay there a bit longer than just for a week and some time later another week.

Animeniax
Sun, 03-23-2008, 03:05 PM
i know tokyo has places that i heard for 10 bucks a night you could basically sleep in a fancy 4' x 8' room LOL which id totally do.. i wanna go there to enjoy my self see the sites , take in events just enjoy the night scenery...Couple things: are you Asian? If not, please limit your stay to 2 weeks like a good foreign tourist should.

Most major carriers fly into Japan, especially Asian airlines. Tickets used to be pretty cheap ($1000 from the States or the middle east), but with fuel prices on the rise, it's getting up around $1300.

I don't think there are any places cheaper than youth hostels that charge around $30. Capsule hotels charge around $40, but I wouldn't recommend them. No privacy, no peace and quiet, no security for your belongings (unless you use coin lockers), and it's pretty cramped and seedy. You can get a decent hotel room for $60 depending on where and when you travel.

One trip I went from Osaka to Fukuoka then up to Sapporo and back to Osaka in 3 weeks with plenty of stops in between. It's fun if you enjoy train trips, which I do. It's also a good way to see the difference in culture and people between the regions of Japan.

sangai
Sun, 03-23-2008, 04:23 PM
im plannin for at least a month or two.. not just a week.. okinawa, sappora, kyoto, are some of the main places i wanna spend alot of time at. .see some shrines.

no im not asian my japanese ain't to great but i can get buy just can't read alot of it yet.

trains not a problem, id pretty active while im there so the capsule hotels would be fine if i have a place for a duffle bag.. i don't know if they got the typical laundry mat so i dunno what id do there..hotel would be better if i brought a suit or anything dressy.. tokyo from my understanding would be my most expensive stay..

Junior
Sun, 03-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Couple things: are you Asian?

Any Asians? or just Japanese/Chinese and Korean?

o.o

Random question.

DB_Hunter
Sun, 03-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Side note, I just realised how funny it is that the Japanese are considered asian ahead of Pakistani's, Indian's etc despite the former not even being attached to the damn asian continental land mass.

sangai
Sun, 03-23-2008, 05:28 PM
yah. pakastani's are considerd indian for some reason i don't quiet get the differtials there.. asia i guess includes like china, thailand, taiwan, korea, veitnam, japan maybe a few others

Buffalobiian
Sun, 03-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Side note, I just realised how funny it is that the Japanese are considered asian ahead of Pakistani's, Indian's etc despite the former not even being attached to the damn asian continental land mass.

I guess when a lot of people think of the Oriental/Asia, they get the image of imperial China. Hence they often consider countries nearby with similar culture, food?, location and skin colour/genetics (straight vs curly hair, lighter skin colour for city dwellers.). That's my interpretation of why that happens anyway.

Board of Command
Sun, 03-23-2008, 10:22 PM
BOC. =)

What are you talking about? I've never used that word. I don't even know what it means.

DB_Hunter
Sun, 03-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Chav is a very UK centric term..... which is why it made me wonder.

Animeniax
Sun, 03-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Any Asians? or just Japanese/Chinese and Korean?

o.o

Random question.Asians meaning yellow people, period. I don't mind Asians making extended trips in Japan, but others should limit their stays so as to not leave any lasting influence on the people there, and not to burden them with their foreignness for too lengthy a time.

Side note, I just realised how funny it is that the Japanese are considered asian ahead of Pakistani's, Indian's etc despite the former not even being attached to the damn asian continental land mass.We've had this discussion before. If you want to include all people on the continent of Asia when you speak of Asians, it makes the classification meaningless. When people say Asian, they mean yellow people. I'd prefer we went back to calling yellow people "Orientals," just to make the distinction between us and the brown peoples.

Here's a litmus test: take a trip to Japan. If the people there treat you like sh*t, you're not Asian.

rockmanj
Mon, 03-24-2008, 12:02 AM
I was orginally going to go there next week, but my boss screwed up my plans. Does anyone think a May trip would be a good idea? I'll probably stay with my friend in Tokyo...but would it be better to get a hotel?

XanBcoo
Mon, 03-24-2008, 12:53 AM
When people say Asian, they mean yellow people

I'd prefer we went back to calling yellow people "Orientals," just to make the distinction between us and the brown peoples.
Oriental is even more vague, if you know the meaning of the term, and in most places that aren't America, "Asian" is acknowledged as including Indians. Ethnicity really is a hard thing to pin down and label. There's too much splitting of hairs and cultural bias involved.

Assertn
Mon, 03-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Dagara Nandei......
Sasuke-kun.....
Omai wa Korosu!

Am I ready for Japan?

sangai
Mon, 03-24-2008, 01:08 AM
dagara not sure what that is, but nandei = why

sasuke kun obvious,

Dagara Nandei......
Sasuke-kun.....
Omai wa Korosu!

Am I ready for Japan?

you is/are dead/kill

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-24-2008, 03:15 AM
Here's a litmus test: take a trip to Japan. If the people there treat you like sh*t, you're not Asian.

I'm finding that quite strange. Why would they treat you badly? I remember reading on this forum, a long time ago, a post that said the Japanese basically idolize the west. If that's true, why the dislike in these people visiting?

Oriental is even more vague, if you know the meaning of the term. I find that term rather more distinct than just the term Asian. Sure, Oriental means "of the east", but you don't just think of those "from the east", you tend to form the image of, as Ani said, yellow skinned. I find that sort of funny since I'm Oriental, but really, but I can't say I'm yellow at all. Most Orientals I've met are either described as lightly tanned or white. Only one I can describe as yellow would be one of my teachers. There's a lot more to it than that though. Like, in my previous post, I mentioned genetics. Besides the hair, another feature that's really telling is the face. Sure, there's the stereotypical eyes that we get teased about at primary school, and that, to an extent holds true. However, the thing that really tells Oriental genus apart from other Asians, to me at least, are things such as the nose and brow. Orientals generally don't have such a pronounced/high nose nor eyes that are as deep in the skull as other races.

Animeniax
Mon, 03-24-2008, 03:31 AM
dagara not sure what that is, but nandei = why

sasuke kun obvious,

Dagara Nandei......
Sasuke-kun.....
Omai wa Korosu!

Am I ready for Japan?

you is/are dead/kill

It's probably "dakara nan de" which means so why? or how come? or literally therefore what for?

Omae wo korosu means I'm going to kill you or you are dead like sangai said. (edited to correct a painfully simple mistake)

I'm finding that quite strange. Why would they treat you badly? I remember reading on this forum, a long time ago, a post that said the Japanese basically idolize the west. If that's true, why the dislike in these people visiting? Well I was referring to Indians or Pakistanis or any other non-Asians who like to refer to themselves as Asians, who visit Japan. The Japanese tend to look down on darker toned people, including anything darker than yellow. Therefore, if you're not yellow, you're not Asian, and hence the Japanese will look down on you. They wouldn't treat you badly, just not as friendly. I was just joking about that.

a post that said the Japanese basically idolize the west. If that's true, why the dislike in these people visiting?Well sometimes when you want something so much and it's out of your reach, jealousy and envy ensue and you end up hating the thing, or at least hating someone who gets to enjoy the thing while you cannot. It's like I was saying about a yellow person who speaks English in a foreign country that really likes the language; sometimes people think you are showing off.

David75
Mon, 03-24-2008, 03:39 AM
Animeniax:
It's very strange the way you speak about Japan.
It's as if it was a giant zoo that 'foreigners' shouldn't spoil with their own culture and rules.
It's as is tourists were colons that in the end would kill the culture of a less advanced civilisation... or even small group of underdeveloped people.

I don't really know why you react that way. It's as if you were a extreme right japan nationalist. But that would be strange if you're not even japanese in the first place.

In the end, eventhough you try to educate us in not spoiling the culture and people there, there's little you can do.
Japanese see for themselves. Some travel, they use the internet, they get to meet people from all over the world. Yet it seems they can protect themselves for quick cultural changes. But they will evolve, no matter what. And it's not 10 gootwooters that will change anything in the end. Even 1 million tourists staying there more than a month can't change that.

So I would just say this:
While you're there, enjoy your time, don't be deceived by false perception based on anime. Japan is a huge society with good and bad sides like any other contry in the world. Most bad sides have the exact same roots as in your own country. Some other may be local.
Try to be respectul of anything and try to learn what is considered unrespectful you may not know of.

Then, again, have the most fun you can dream of and "Open you mind"

Animeniax
Mon, 03-24-2008, 03:54 AM
Animeniax:
I don't really know why you react that way. It's as if you were a extreme right japan nationalist. But that would be strange if you're not even japanese in the first place.I definitely tend towards Japanese nationalism. I don't think you actually have to be Japanese to feel that way, in the same way you don't have to play hockey but still want the game to maintain its core values and "purity" by not removing fighting. My biggest concern is that in a few hundred years, there won't be a Japan or Korea or Germany or Norway or any well-defined nationality of people. It will be one big world of mutts. The only upside is that halfers and mixed-race girls are often freaking gorgeous.

In the end, eventhough you try to educate us in not spoiling the culture and people there, there's little you can do.True, but a cop can only catch so many criminals. Should he stop trying because he can't stop all crime? I do my part.

Sapphire
Mon, 03-24-2008, 06:21 AM
I pretty much agree with David. I think the fact that any of us are reading the thread means that we're at least semi interested in being respectful towards Japanese people on our trip there, and not doing anything stupid that will cause the Japanese to warp their visions of all tourists. In my opinion everyone has the right to be exposed to something that is a little different, without other people having to hover over them and wonder if their minds and cultures are being corrupted. I agree with David, I highly doubt a trip to Japan, especially from some of us, will change their fundamental way of life and culture or anything, especially if we're here trying to learn here how to respect that culture. So I think rather than telling us not to go or to limit our stay, I think it's more useful to advise us on what we should do and things like that.

Animeniax
Mon, 03-24-2008, 06:34 AM
Regardless of how you act or speak, your being there could be enough to cause a ripple effect in the space time continuum, as it pertains to some of the people you'll meet there. It's like one murder, does it really affect me if I didn't know the guy? Sure it could.

I don't think anyone will heed my commands, but when I run for office in one of the nationalist organizations in Japan, I can point to this as evidence that I did my best to defend their causes. I'll be a shoe-in, particularly with my militant views on the subject.

Sapphire
Mon, 03-24-2008, 06:45 AM
Sure, why not. But in that case I better not go outside, because someone's second hand smoke could give me lung cancer and cause ramifications everywhere! But yeah, I don't really see your point, but besides having to weed out personal opinions from useful ones, thanks for the tips!

DB_Hunter
Mon, 03-24-2008, 08:14 AM
By the powers vested in me due to my Pakistani lineage, I hereby banish the Japanese from the Asian club. Until they get a territory in asia again, or failing that move their island so that it attaches itself to Asia, they will be known simply as Japanese.

Animeniax
Mon, 03-24-2008, 08:32 AM
But yeah, I don't really see your point, but besides having to weed out personal opinions from useful ones, thanks for the tips!
You should heed every word I say. It's all good stuff.

By the powers vested in me due to my Pakistani lineage...So basically nothing changes, right?

Some more tasty tidbits:
You'll probably hear okyakusama a lot. It means "(honored) customer" and refers to you.

The u in words is often silent, so words like suki is pronounced "ski" and "desu" is pronounced "dess".

DB_Hunter
Mon, 03-24-2008, 08:37 AM
You are talking this thread dangerously close to flame pit territory.

David75
Mon, 03-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Well I'm as gaijin as anyone else.
But I hope the fact that I'm French, and from Paris at that, could help even a little.
Eventhough I do not plan relying only on that. I really need to prepare that long before the actual trip as my honey doesn't any language other than French. So I'll have to be reponsible enough for 2 people...

Psyke
Mon, 03-24-2008, 09:53 AM
It's actually "omae wo korosu" (お前を殺す), just like how Heero said it to Releena.

Board of Command
Mon, 03-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Asians (ie. yellow people) in Asia treat foreigners like crap. They don't have the same view of the western world that we have. They don't idolize the west like some of you think. They are extremely conservative even if they don't look like it. They've never had prolonged exposure to other ethnicities, so you shouldn't expect them to like westerners.

Yellow countries aren't nearly as multicultured as the western countries. In fact, I'm willing to bet that over 99% of people in Asia are yellow people. You can argue that tourists go to Japan and whatnot all the time, but the relatively small number of tourists barely makes a dent in the demography. They're still pretty much interacting with other yellow people and living yellow culture 24 hours a day. When you live in a society that has an overwhelming majority of one ethnicity and culture, then it's only natural that you'd be highly conservative.

Appearance is the easiest way to distinct westerners. Even though I'm not Japanese, people probably wouldn't glance at me twice because I'm yellow. I don't stand out in a crowd of other yellow people as opposed to white, brown or black people. When they find out that I'm actually not Japanese, they'd probably still treat me worse than they do real Japanese folks.

Killa-Eyez
Mon, 03-24-2008, 10:45 AM
How are they against black people? Anyone any experiences? Should we all just stay away? :p

Board of Command
Mon, 03-24-2008, 11:03 AM
It's not like they'll run up and stab you because you're black. They'll just look at you and think to themselves, "Hmm...a black guy......0_o"

Where you're from, people on the street will just look at you as "a guy." Over in the east, they look at you as a "black guy." They make a conscious distinction between locals and foreigners because they're used to living in a homogeneous society.

Psyke
Mon, 03-24-2008, 11:15 AM
I dunno..... my sensei used to show us videos of this show known as Cool Japan, where they take foreigners from different countries, such as USA, Germany, France, Thailand, Sweden and bring them around different parts of Japan, and they talk about how different the Japanese culture is from their own native countries. They seem to have so much fun, and it's hard to imagine them being ostrasized by the Japanese.

Wait, I just managed to find an episode on youtube. Check it out here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKQxffyIUpQ). Search for Cool Japan if you're interested in other episodes.

Animeniax
Mon, 03-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Asians (ie. yellow people) in Asia treat foreigners like crap. They don't have the same view of the western world that we have. They don't idolize the west like some of you think. They are extremely conservative even if they don't look like it. They've never had prolonged exposure to other ethnicities, so you shouldn't expect them to like westerners.

Yellow countries aren't nearly as multicultured as the western countries. In fact, I'm willing to bet that over 99% of people in Asia are yellow people. You can argue that tourists go to Japan and whatnot all the time, but the relatively small number of tourists barely makes a dent in the demography. They're still pretty much interacting with other yellow people and living yellow culture 24 hours a day. When you live in a society that has an overwhelming majority of one ethnicity and culture, then it's only natural that you'd be highly conservative.

Appearance is the easiest way to distinct westerners. Even though I'm not Japanese, people probably wouldn't glance at me twice because I'm yellow. I don't stand out in a crowd of other yellow people as opposed to white, brown or black people. When they find out that I'm actually not Japanese, they'd probably still treat me worse than they do real Japanese folks.I agree with everything BoC says here. My version would have been more aggressive and less apologetic though.

I dunno..... my sensei used to show us videos of this show known as Cool Japan, where they take foreigners from different countries, such as USA, Germany, France, Thailand, Sweden and bring them around different parts of Japan, and they talk about how different the Japanese culture is from their own native countries. They seem to have so much fun, and it's hard to imagine them being ostrasized by the Japanese. It would seem like they're having fun on the surface because it's a special occasion and the Japanese like most Asian cultures are very image conscious, so they'd be very cautious about appearing unfriendly or impolite on TV. I would bet how they behave in normal day to day life is different as it concerns foreigners. This is pretty much true for anyone though, not just the Japanese.

Something I encountered was the courteous "blow off". I'd ask for directions or help and some Japanese would wave me off with a "sorry no speakee" attitude, like they didn't even want to try to help, particularly when I asked if they spoke English first.

David75
Mon, 03-24-2008, 01:20 PM
I was wondering if it's possible to create a thread specific to "Save Japan Culture from World Invasion" and put there all messages related to this subject. So that we do not keep a thread with two seperate ideas that do not mix well together?

Thanks

Animeniax
Wed, 03-26-2008, 04:34 AM
Some more interesting things to consider when visiting Japan:

When looking for English speakers, keep in mind that high-school dropouts and delinquents probably didn't master the language. When I went to a yatai stand (food stall) in Fukuoka and asked the attendant if he spoke English, I got the usual "dekimasen" and the cold shoulder. I didn't think about it until that moment, but it makes sense a guy running a food stall probably didn't do too well in his high school studies (when they take higher level English courses), and opted for a vocational or food service career. Don't let it discourage you, I got something to eat and drink at that stand anyway and had a blast talking and getting drunk with some of the locals who did speak English.

Vocabulary:

sore: that
dare: who
kore: this, here (not location); for pointing out your selection

doko: where (usage: Tokyo eki, doko desu ka, meaning: "Where is Tokyo station?")
koko (de): here (location)

When ordering ramen, they'll ask you something that I didn't understand at the time, but it turns out they're asking what style you want. Typically the four choices are tonkatsu (pork soup base, southern regions), shio (salt), shoyu (soy sauce, Tokyo style), or miso (northern, Hokkaido style). You can get all 4 types in any region, though a given type is the specialty of the restaurant in that region.

Junior
Sat, 03-29-2008, 05:21 PM
It's not like they'll run up and stab you because you're black. They'll just look at you and think to themselves, "Hmm...a black guy......0_o"

That really made me laugh. I keep picturing a black guy walking down the street and Japanese locals walking past him with this confused expression.

Thanks for all these tips Ani. ^^ I really didn't know Japanese could be so...awkward towards non-asian folk.

oh btw, what does Ramen taste like? D: I'd love to try it sometime. >.>

David75
Sat, 03-29-2008, 06:14 PM
oh btw, what does Ramen taste like? D: I'd love to try it sometime. >.>
Pasta, spices, meat and so on.
Depending on the style and the one preparing them, you could really find jewels.
I'm not directly talking about ramens, as I've never been to japan and didn"t get the chance to try some from a very good place, but the whole pasta soup concept.
I've had the chance to try vietnamese versions from two different famillies, that's really something different and new to a westerner. I really had a blast, which doesn't happen a lot for food matters as I tried quite a lot of things.

I hope someday I can try quality ramen, rather than Cup Noodles.

Animeniax
Sun, 03-30-2008, 12:28 AM
Fresh ramen is delicious. It's a bit different from the packaged bowls and even more so than the noodle packs. The packaged ramen from Japan isn't even really available in the west, those are mostly Korean brands and the generic Nissin and Maruchan brands from Japan. They have a much broader variety of ramen bowls available to the Japanese, as usual.

Where I'm at in the states, there are plenty of Vietnamese pho noodle shops and they're quite popular. I noticed there are zero ramen shops, and I even asked at local Japanese shops if they knew of any in town and they said no. So I'm thinking of opening up a ramen noodle shop, maybe even call it Ichiraku Ramen like in Naruto, unless it's copyrighted. I don't know if people would be willing to buy $5-7 bowls of ramen when they're used to 33 cent packs at home.

If you get a chance to go to Japan, definitely try some of the ramen shops in the different regions. It's usually fairly cheap (sometimes not, depending on the toppings) and delicious.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 03-30-2008, 04:23 AM
Fresh ramen is delicious. It's a bit different from the packaged bowls and even more so than the noodle packs. The packaged ramen from Japan isn't even really available in the west, those are mostly Korean brands and the generic Nissin and Maruchan brands from Japan. They have a much broader variety of ramen bowls available to the Japanese, as usual.

Where I'm at in the states, there are plenty of Vietnamese pho noodle shops and they're quite popular. I noticed there are zero ramen shops, and I even asked at local Japanese shops if they knew of any in town and they said no. So I'm thinking of opening up a ramen noodle shop, maybe even call it Ichiraku Ramen like in Naruto, unless it's copyrighted. I don't know if people would be willing to buy $5-7 bowls of ramen when they're used to 33 cent packs at home.

If you get a chance to go to Japan, definitely try some of the ramen shops in the different regions. It's usually fairly cheap (sometimes not, depending on the toppings) and delicious.

I'm very interested in what the serving sizes are like over there. In Australia, we don't have Ramen Bars, but we do have Japanese restaurants and some counters in food courts and stuff that sell ramen. I don't think it's the real deal though. But the serving sizes are like 0.o.

That being, what I consider, tiny.

Japanese food here is expensive, and from the places I've tried, you generally get a huge bowl with little ramen, but lots of broth. What's it like over there?

David75
Sun, 03-30-2008, 04:35 AM

As a matter of fact, in Paris I go to a Vietnamese Pho restaurant were prices are from 5 to 12 € (yes...) with the average around 7.
It's small but always crowded, with 90% of customers being vietnamese...
The deals is that only one bowl will stuff you easily, even if you're a great eater because the bowls are huge and full of everything. No starters, then no room for desert, as a matter of fact it's sometimes difficult to finish the bowl...

I don't know for the US restaurant market, but if for US$5-7 people can eat to stomach content, with high quality taste, it may be a winner. But with the underline part, you have to be sure customer eat and leave fast so that your tables rotate quickly enough for the restaurant to be profitable.
If you make smaller bowls, you may allow for starters and/or deserts that are also profitable (sometimes more profitable, hence smaller bowls...). Customers may stay a while longer if the table still makes the targeted or more profit. It depends on the hidden strategies you tailor made, that the customer must never be aware of.

The thing will then to have clear targets, and be sure customers clearly understand the difference beetween Japanese Pasta soups and other ways of doing it in Asia.
They have to know in less than 3 seconds something is different when they are approaching the restaurant.
Then, with you menu outside, it's less than 10 seconds (5 to 7) for them to decide wether they want to enter or not. It this time period, they have to get interrested...

A very important detail in the decision:
Is the restaurant crowded?
Is there people from the country represented by the restaurant (that one is sometimes less important, but may count)

For the crowded part, I have a friend who owns a restaurant. He has regular customers that come everyday on business day, and I mean everyday. Those customers make the restaurant full at 40 to 50% at key hours. That lures a lot of customers in.
Another restaurant is the next door, almost no one, never... And no one wants to go in, even tourists (and there are a lot there).
It's a commone rule for restaurants:
If there's no one in, there's a problem...

Animeniax
Sun, 03-30-2008, 05:37 AM
I'm very interested in what the serving sizes are like over there. In Australia, we don't have Ramen Bars, but we do have Japanese restaurants and some counters in food courts and stuff that sell ramen. I don't think it's the real deal though. But the serving sizes are like 0.o.
That being, what I consider, tiny.
What's it like over there?
They're pretty good sized, enough to fill you up. I tend to eat a lot in one sitting, and usually a bowl of ramen, a plate of gyoza (pork dumplings), and a beer overfill me nicely, though a lot of it is liquid. I've found ramen is one of the meals in Japan that aren't smaller portions. Japanese ramen doesn't really taste like the pre-packaged bowl ramen at all, which has more salt and thinner noodles and no meat.

As a matter of fact, in Paris I go to a Vietnamese Pho restaurant were prices are from 5 to 12 € (yes...) with the average around 7.
It's small but always crowded, with 90% of customers being vietnamese... Yikes, that's pretty expensive for pho. You can get a bowl and drink for $6 (4-5 euro) where I'm at in the states. It's funny, the owner of one of these pho shops opened an upscale Vietnamese restaurant that basically serves the same food, but charges $9-10 for the same meal.

I don't know anything about the restaurant business, so if I go through with it, I'd hire a business manager and cooks to handle the business side. I'd just finance the operation and eat up the profits myself (literally).

I wonder if associating it with Naruto will help bring in customers? I'd also seriously consider opening it near a university.

Raven
Sun, 06-21-2009, 10:12 PM
I'm reviving this thread after over a year of no use, but there's some good (and slightly suspect) info in here. Thanks guys! I'm off the day after tomorrow.

Animeniax
Sun, 06-21-2009, 10:20 PM
You're off to Japan? What cities?

I won't be able to go to Japan again until maybe Christmas. Now that I'm back at uni, it will be almost impossible to go when I want, which would be between end of February and early March. That way you still get snow in Hokkaido but also the start of hanabi season, and it just might be warm enough by then to enjoy the beaches near Fukuoka, all in one trip.

Besides, with the current dollar to yen exchange rate, it would be even more expensive than usual.

Sapphire
Sun, 01-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Hey guys, turns out that I might be visiting Japan for this Spring break. (March 13-21)

Any recommendations on where to go, how to get there, where to sleep/eat, etc?

samsonlonghair
Sun, 01-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Lucky you!

XanBcoo
Sun, 01-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Hey guys, turns out that I might be visiting Japan for this Spring break. (March 13-21)

You're a young girl, so for God's sake don't take the train anywhere.

Animeniax
Sun, 01-10-2010, 08:21 PM

Oh oh, I was thinking of visiting Japan for spring break this March 13-20 too! Are you traveling by yourself or with a group? I was going to meet up with a friend there but he has pretty much bailed. I'd be happy going alone, but maybe we can meet up sometime during our trips.

You should visit Tokyo/Kawamura/Yokohama of course, and Osaka (it's like NY and Boston respectively), Fukuoka if you have the time since it's way far south, Hiroshima to remember, Miyajima Island for the otorii, Kobe for a steak dinner (pricey but worth it), and Furano/Biei in Hokkaido for either fun in the snow or the lush lavender fields, and to enjoy the hot springs. March is a great time for sakura viewing/hanami but it will be crowded, and we'll be a week or two early for blooming season.

If you're serious about this, it will be about $2500. That's around $1k for airfare, $300 for a rail pass for 1 week, $500 for hotels (cheaper if you share) and the rest for meals and souvenirs.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-10-2010, 08:31 PM

Oh oh, I was thinking of visiting Japan for spring break this March 13-20 too!

This must be a good year to go to Japan or something!

I'll be going ~8th Nov for a week, perhaps more, depending on our budget. A few friends and I are planning to go after our final exams, and come back before supplementary exams/ graduation.

I'm not quite sure what our plans are at the moment, but I think we may be either spending a full week in Tokyo, or splitting it between it and another city (most likely Kyoto).

They're planning to do some suburb-level exploring, so any tips from past tourists/residents?

I think my budget would be around 2K -3K AUD (for flight and accomodation/transport only, excluding food)

Sapphire
Sun, 01-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Oh oh, I was thinking of visiting Japan for spring break this March 13-20 too! Are you traveling by yourself or with a group? I was going to meet up with a friend there but he has pretty much bailed. I'd be happy going alone, but maybe we can meet up sometime during our trips.

You should visit Tokyo/Kawamura/Yokohama of course, and Osaka (it's like NY and Boston respectively), Fukuoka if you have the time since it's way far south, Hiroshima to remember, Miyajima Island for the otorii, Kobe for a steak dinner (pricey but worth it), and Furano/Biei in Hokkaido for either fun in the snow or the lush lavender fields, and to enjoy the hot springs. March is a great time for sakura viewing/hanami but it will be crowded, and we'll be a week or two early for blooming season.

If you're serious about this, it will be about $2500. That's around $1k for airfare, $300 for a rail pass for 1 week, $500 for hotels (cheaper if you share) and the rest for meals and souvenirs.
OMG you seem to know a lot, why don't you come with us and be a tour guide? It's not set in stone whether I am going or not, but me and a few friends are seriously planning to go. I am personally looking at Delta airlines since I have a LOT of miles on it and can probably get a huge discount. My friends definitely want to go to Akihabara and wig out there lol. I want to get some hot clothing as well. But I also really want to hit the beautiful spots and fine dining. We were thinking sleeping in a hostel or something since that is said to be cheaper?

How exactly do you travel when you go? Tell me more!

Animeniax
Sun, 01-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Nah, it's just I've been three times, and miss it a lot as it's been 2 years since my last trip. Now that I'm learning the language, I want to visit again.

I don't really want to go in a group because I won't be able to do the things I want to without worrying that others aren't enjoying themselves (the things I love about Japan aren't the same as what most pop culture fans of Japan like, eg. I need about 1 hour in Akihabara before it's time for something else).

Hostels are definitely cheaper, but if you share rooms in a business or budget hotel it's a much better experience and not that expensive. However the Japanese charge by the occupant, not by the room, so even if you try to fit 4 people in a room, the savings won't be that good.

One of the things I enjoy about Japan are public baths/hot springs (usually full nude). Unfortunately there aren't many co-ed places so it wouldn't be as interesting going in a group.

You get from city to city mostly by train and around town by subway or trolleys/buses (in the large cities). Taxis are expensive but necessary in smaller towns. Renting pedal bikes is fun in smaller towns too.

Psyke
Sun, 01-10-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm trying to visit Japan again this year too, probably around the August, September period.

Animeniax
Mon, 01-11-2010, 09:09 AM
I'm trying to visit Japan again this year too, probably around the August, September period.
It's too hot and humid in August/Sept in Japan for me, and I'm from Houston (it's hot and humid there too, but not as bad as in most of Japan in the summer). Plus you have to avoid Obon week (or maybe it's the best way to see real Japan) unless you don't mind crowds and everything costs more during what they consider peak travel season.

Is that the only time you have free to travel to Japan this year or do you have specific events/occasions to celebrate?

More FYI: you don't really need the JR rail pass if you don't plan to travel to more than a couple cities. Then it would be cheaper to just buy individual train tickets. I tend to visit 3 or 4 cities so it's usually been worthwhile for me.

Psyke
Mon, 01-11-2010, 10:04 AM
I have a few other trips, work and leisure around the year, so it would be the best time to go. It's better summer than winter, since I'll be bringing my daughter along :)

Archangel
Mon, 01-11-2010, 09:01 PM
You're a young girl, so for God's sake don't take the train anywhere.

I've always wondered and i'm sorry if this is offtopic, but how exactly do you rape someone on a train? :confused:

Buffalobiian
Mon, 01-11-2010, 11:31 PM
I've always wondered and i'm sorry if this is offtopic, but how exactly do you rape someone on a train? :confused:

Raping's only in hentai Archie. Groping's the real deal though.

XanBcoo
Tue, 01-12-2010, 12:05 AM
I was being facetious, but yeah, groping of young women on trains is apparently a huge problem on certain train lines.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 01-12-2010, 12:12 AM
I was being facetious, but yeah, groping of young women on trains is apparently a huge problem on certain train lines.

It's funny because they started up a Women + Children Only service during peak hours, but then also had to start a Mens Only service because guys were getting framed for groping due to the high penalty rate.

In such a high density area though, I have to wonder if pickpockets are also making their little fortune.

Archangel
Tue, 01-12-2010, 12:49 PM
I sort of want to try it just to see if i could get away with it ...

Sapphire
Tue, 01-12-2010, 12:54 PM
You want to try raping someone on a train?

Archangel
Tue, 01-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Nah, just groping. Or I'd be just as happy if i could watch the experience.

The fact that someone could just do that and get away with it fascinates me O_o

Don't the women respond at all?

XanBcoo
Tue, 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Don't the women respond at all?

It's funny because they started up a Women + Children Only service during peak hours
So to answer your question: No. They just sit there and enjoy it just like in your hentai games.

Stop being so goddamn creepy and enough with the derailing.

Archangel
Tue, 01-12-2010, 01:58 PM
After reading the posts... yeah, i do sound creepy

Ignore it all, curiosity got the best of me

Sapphire
Tue, 01-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Well it -is- sort of on topic. He'd have to visit to Japan to molest a harmful Japanese native.

On another note, it is my life's dream to visit the lavender fields (or some type of beautiful natural meadow) and a beautiful onsen.

I also wouldn't mind going to a maid cafe and a host club.

Edit: harmLESS

Animeniax
Tue, 01-12-2010, 02:41 PM
It's one of my life's dreams to walk along Shingu beach near Fukuoka while listening to YUI's Sea. Another is to see YUI in concert.

I also want to see the lavender fields in Hokkaido, and to bath in the outdoor hot springs at Shiretoko National Park.

Sapphire
Tue, 01-12-2010, 02:43 PM
I love YUI and I love beaches. This is going to be so fun.

Animeniax
Tue, 01-12-2010, 02:49 PM
We wouldn't be able to do it this trip. Fukuoka/Shingu is far south and takes a day to get there by train from Tokyo. I haven't heard of any concert plans from YUI either, and getting tickets would be tough.

Sapphire
Tue, 01-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Well I have no qualms with dropping out of college to live in Japan....

rockmanj
Tue, 01-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Well it -is- sort of on topic. He'd have to visit to Japan to molest a harmful Japanese native.

On another note, it is my life's dream to visit the lavender fields (or some type of beautiful natural meadow) and a beautiful onsen.

I also wouldn't mind going to a maid cafe and a host club.

Edit: harmLESS

FYI, maid cafes are creeeepy. Like I went to the entrance of one with my friend, but looking at the sheer number of greasy faced dudes with lecherous looks on their pimply visages was enough for me to say "Ok, I've seen a maid cafe...we can go now".

Archangel
Tue, 01-12-2010, 04:51 PM
FYI, maid cafes are creeeepy. Like I went to the entrance of one with my friend, but looking at the sheer number of greasy faced dude with lecherous looks on their pimply visages was enough for me to say "Ok, I've seen a maid cafe...we can go now".

And you were expecting a different kind of clientèle?

rockmanj
Tue, 01-12-2010, 05:57 PM
I...well, no. It just shocked me to see it in person, I suppose.

Sapphire
Tue, 01-12-2010, 07:14 PM
I am actually somehow more eager to see this now. Can't be worse than anime club.

Psyke
Tue, 01-12-2010, 08:18 PM
I would have went into a maid cafe in Akihabara if not for the fact that it was full of creepy otakus. Another good reason was my wife was with me and if you can't speak Japanese it sort of defeats the purpose since the main thing there is to interact with the maids and get high when they call you Master. :p

Animeniax
Tue, 01-12-2010, 08:18 PM
I am actually somehow more eager to see this now. Can't be worse than anime club.
Yeah at least these greasy-faced lechers are Japanese. It's practically a part of their culture.

I would have went into a maid cafe in Akihabara if not for the fact that it was full of creepy otakus. Another good reason was my wife was with me and if you can't speak Japanese it sort of defeats the purpose since the main thing there is to interact with the maids and get high when they call you Master. :p
I remember you posted that one picture of the Lilliputian maid showing you directions or reading something to you. You didn't go into her cafe??

Psyke
Tue, 01-12-2010, 08:38 PM
I remember you posted that one picture of the Lilliputian maid showing you directions or reading something to you. You didn't go into her cafe??

Nah I didn't. Basically I try to make conversation with the maids or cosplayers since they seem so friendly :p

rockmanj
Wed, 01-13-2010, 03:51 PM

See, I'm not alone in this! And yea, it was one of the ones in Akihabara that I stepped into. Also, I didn't feel like eating or drinking anything in there because of price and atmosphere.

Animeniax
Wed, 01-13-2010, 04:13 PM
It's still worth experiencing a maid cafe at least once regardless of price or weirdness.

I had a $150 steak dinner in Kobe just so I can cross it off my list of things to do in life. You should also play Pachinko at least once, go to a hostess club at least once (might be difficult unless you can speak Japanese and have money to burn), bathe in a Japanese public bath at least once, stay in a capsule hotel at least once, and eat ramen with gyoza at a ramen stand at least a dozen times.

Archangel
Wed, 01-13-2010, 04:19 PM
I would like to experience a capsule hotel too, it's just one of those things that sounds fun to do as long as you don't have to do it

Sapphire
Wed, 01-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Are capsule hotels cheaper or more expensive?

Animeniax
Wed, 01-13-2010, 05:48 PM
The usual ones are about $40/night, plus a couple dollars for a locker to store your stuff. They have some high end ones that are really classy but their price probably defeats the purpose of staying in a capsule hotel. I could be wrong but for some reason I recall most of them are for men only.

Here's a site for one in Akihabara that's coed:
http://www.capsuleinn.com/

Sapphire
Wed, 01-13-2010, 05:56 PM
I am sold. Definitely sleeping there!

masamuneehs
Wed, 01-13-2010, 07:50 PM
I have to second a bunch of the things Animeniax said, particularly the bath houses / hot springs, ramen + gyoza, and the nice, high-end dinner (I'd say traditional Japanese over steak, but that's just me). I have no love for the capsules, and would say, if you want to try sleeping in a weird place, that you do an internet cafe.

First thing's first. It's nice to lose yourself in fantasies, but you need to budget and plan. ("Those who fail to plan...") Traveling is a tiring thing, and I can't imagine you want to spend half the time on trains/planes, building up a huge cost, just to be too tired to enjoy what you see. Get a list in mind and be ready to compromise for feasibility.

AVOID OBON, AVOID GOLDEN WEEK, DONT GET RIPPED
it's already going to suck paying for this with the Yen beating up on the Dollar, and then you will be paying much more for hotels and transportation (Get that rail pass) and competing with all the other travelers for the few good deals, not to mention the crowds.

I would recommend:
Tokyo, particularly Meiji Jingu (and right near Cosplayer Corner and the super trendy Harajuku), Asakusa, Shibuya (to glimpse the night clubs / popular scene). If you want a major club, try Ageha out in Shin Kiba.
Around Tokyo there are lots of things to do for one day trips. Nikko, Yokohama are the top two I'd suggest. Natural beauty and urban delight, respectively

Osaka / Kyoto
For your base of operations in the south / old part, you can use either of these two. Kyoto has lots of temples and traditional stuff(daytime), but if you're feeling more Big City (nightlife), Osaka is better. No matter what, get to the big forest/river area outside of Kyoto, and see the temples there.
Not so much to do in Osaka as far as culture goes.

Hit up Nara for a one day trip from Osaka / Kyoto.
Hit up Himeji for the castle, then check out Kobe for afternoon / night. Some nice shopping, a decent China Town, and good food.

The rest:
hokkaido is beautiful if you like the outdoors, and it will be nice and cool during the summer while you sweat like hell in the rest of Japan. But it is a bit out of the way, and, really, unless you like hiking and the outdoors, not recommended for a short trip. Sapporo is considered the biggest city up there, but unless it's the time of year they have the Beer Gardens open, not very good at all (the cultural village nearby it is pretty cool though)
Biei / Furano are beautiful, but very simple. Outdoors
Hakodate is in the South of Hokkaido, and it's the place I liked the best. You can do some hiking in the mountain area, and it's just a really quaint kind of town.

Don't know much about the southern islands, so can't really say.

Food: Mandatory stuff is Kaiten Sushi (revolving sushi bar), Ramen, Okonomiyaki. You'll probably be finding yourself at the cheap 24/7 places too. Eat from a convenince store at least once. I also recommend Takoyaki while in Osaka/Kyoto, and you should absolutely hit up Sukiyaki or Yakiniku for a nice dinner too.

have a good trip!

Animeniax
Wed, 01-13-2010, 08:46 PM
All good stuff masa, including some that are worthy for a list of "things to do before you die". Definitely avoid visiting during holiday weeks and Christmas/New Year's. Prices are higher and I've heard cities are relatively empty because people make trips to their parents' home towns or just stay at home.

As suggested, an expensive multi-course dinner at a traditional Japanese ryokan is important but that Kobe steak dinner is also necessary, considering how famous Kobe is for steak.

A nice long trip on a Hikari class train is something you can enjoy and a good place to take a nap and enjoy an "eki-ben" train station boxed lunch. I like to use my digital camera to record video of the scenery outside as we fly by.

In Osaka, if you like street live performances from amateur musicians looking to be discovered, go to the overpass outside Umeda station on a Friday or Saturday night.

One thing I like to do in Japan is visit places I've seen in J-dramas (or anime), music videos, or mentioned by celebrities I'm interested in. Particularly I've visited all the places that were meaningful to YUI in Fukuoka and some in Tokyo.

Psyke
Wed, 01-13-2010, 09:09 PM
I worked on an itinerary (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=145976&id=536385288&l=264c41fa47) a while back as an entry for a contest (which I didn't win), so I'm not sure if it would be any use for people wanting to visit Japan. Bear in mind those timings are really just thrown in and can definitely stretch way beyond my estimated time, particularly with transport. If any one wants the full high res version just PM me.

masamuneehs
Sun, 01-17-2010, 07:56 PM
one thing that, after yesterday, i simply have to add.

if you're in town when there's a sumo tournament going on, go to one. do it.
there are six tournaments spread out over the course of a year, and each tournament goes every day for two weeks. every sumo wrestler wrestles everyday, so even if you go on a Monday or Thursday, you will see all the wrestlers.

English Page, with dates and venues
http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/

I went to the Kokugikan in Ryogoku Japan, and I went on a Sunday. Unreserved tickets were available up until 9am (we got there at 7am anyway), for 2100yen (about $21 USD). The tickets themselves are only for the absolute back row. Front tier seats are almost $100USD a person, and they are "boxes", on the ground, which I would not recommend. The second tier ranges from $50 - $30, and will sell out in advance for weekends. You can get your hand stamped and re-enter once after you initially go in. We used it to get lunch and some cheap beers.

The tournament itself runs from 840am until 6pm or so. Again, ALL the wrestlers wrestle. The place will be relatively deserted for the first bunch of hours, and (in Ryogoku at least), you can go down to the premium seats and watch from up close. Sure, it's the scrubs going at it, but it's still awesome to be right there in the front. Both Japanese and foreigners were watching from up close until about 1 or 2pm. The better matches start at 2pm, the top matches at 4pm, and you don't want to be sitting in some big-wig's box seat when he rolls up. English radio coverage starts from 4pm, and you can rent a radio from the information desk for 100yen (with a 2000yen deposit)

About Ryogoku. The stadium is a minute from the JR Ryogoku station, five from the subway station.
There are some restaurants nearby (many where you can try Chanko, the traditional food of sumo wrestlers (although you can try a small cup of it at the venue, for just 240yen)), and there are two nice, small parks nearby.

There is also the Edo Museum right on the other side of the sumo stadium. It's 1000yen entry, but it's packed. It's a full day of stuff. If you like history, you should go to see it anyway. If you're not interested in watching the earlier matches, I would recommend going there, then coming back for the top matches at 4pm.

Animeniax
Sun, 01-17-2010, 08:51 PM
I'd rather watch a live MMA event in Japan from Dream, K-1, Sengoku, or one of the other orgs. Sumo is the more traditional sport outing of course, but Japanese MMA is more entertaining and I actually know who some of the fighters are.

I also plan to pick up ball caps from each of the Japanese pro baseball teams, though that will have to wait for another trip when I have the time to visit each city and maybe see a game there.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-11-2010, 07:23 AM
I'm looking for recommendations on what to do in Tokyo. Myself and around 5-8 other friends will be staying there for a week or so.

There seems to be some folks here who have had first hand experience (or are well informed of it), so I'm all eyes and ears.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 08-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Tokyo?

Go eat good Japanese food, like sushi. For relatively cheap but good sushi, there is a sushi place on top of the 109 building in Shibuya. Try their blow torched salmon nigiri zushi (forgot the actual name EDIT: researched a bit, and it may be SushiTsune). Beware of ko gals though. Not sure if the place is still there though. You like ramen, so you should try a good place where people line up. That is always a good sign when it comes to stores in Japan.

Go to a maid cafe in Akihabara, and stroll around the area. You buy anime figures, so you should enjoy that place a lot. There might be cosplay events if your lucky.

For Joshikousei in mini skirts, Ikebukuro's shopping malls are a good place.

Harajuku is a date place, so that might not work. Has a lot of good clothing stores though. The place is quite interesting, with some cosplayers just walking or hanging around.

Shinjuku has a lot of shopping malls and restaurants. I never really liked it much though.

I'd go visit the Kyoto/Osaka/Nara area if I had a week. 2-3 days there would be worth it since you can check out the temples and whatnot.

BTW, take rides in the ferris wheels. They will show you a great view if the weather is good.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Shinjuku has a lot of shopping malls and restaurants. I never really liked it much though.

I'd go visit the Kyoto/Osaka/Nara area if I had a week. 2-3 days there would be worth it since you can check out the temples and whatnot.

We've got a fair amount of girls in our group, so I think Shinjuku is a must-have there.

We're planning a few days (2-3 like you said, but it may be 1) in Kyoto too, but we had a forced flight-schedule change, so we're still looking at that.

Animeniax
Wed, 08-11-2010, 10:19 AM
I hear Japan is lowering earnings requirements for Chinese to enter the country on tourist visas. You have to make something like US$20k a year or they'll deny your visa request. This is to keep poor Chinese from visiting and staying illegally.

You should go to the Cirque du Soleil show in Tokyo, girls love that stuff. I think it's foreigners performing, but still. Also, depending on when you go, catch a concert or street live in Osaka near Umeda JR station (these are usually free). Nothing as cool as a Japanese street musician. Also, be sure to visit Meiji Shrine and the Snoopy/Peanuts store in Harajuku.

See if you can convince your group to go to an onsen. They are mostly single sex these days, but if you can find one that's unisex and has no bathing suit requirements....

Kyoto is overrated unless you're into historical sites. Depending on the time of year, they have cool festivals that might be fun.

David75
Wed, 08-11-2010, 10:40 AM
See if you can convince your group to go to an onsen. They are mostly single sex these days, but if you can find one that's unisex and has no bathing suit requirements....

Aren't those ones difficult to enter for non japanese people?

Animeniax
Wed, 08-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Aren't those ones difficult to enter for non japanese people?

No, most of them cater to tourists. Onsen are one of those things where the locals are over the novelty of it but tourists eat it up. You just can't have a lot of tattoos because they associate tattoos with yakuza and don't want gangsters in their establishments.

edit: I think you meant the unisex onsen being more exclusive to Japanese people than the more common single sex onsen. I can't comment on this since I never considered going to a unisex onsen, and I hear they are hard to find.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 08-12-2010, 06:22 PM
If you do manage to go to Osaka, get Okonomiyaki and Takoyaki at specialty establishments. Osaka has great food.

It really is hard to find a unisex onsen. Believe me, I tried.

Animeniax
Thu, 08-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Also remember to walk on the left side of the sidewalk in Osaka.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-18-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm looking for another recommendation, this time about spots in Akihabara. Our group isn't anime orientated, if that comes into considerations. Has anyone been to anywhere worthwhile there?

Or anywhere that should be avoided?

edit: during my browsing I came to this wiki that talks about things to do:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Tokyo/Akihabara

Is it just me, or was Get out easily misread as Get laid? :p

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-19-2010, 06:56 AM
Tenya, the tempura place, is pretty good. I always ate there when I visited Akihabara. Aside from that, it is mainly an electronics and computer Mecca. Even if you are not anime oriented, it may still be worthwhile to check out the maid cafes just to experience it. There are also gaming centers, if you like arcade games.

The stair comment in that Wiki page is true. The harder to access (and seedier) the place is, the better the prices. Anime goods are really a must buy there. Gundam models are dirt cheap too.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 09-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Tenya, the tempura place, is pretty good. I always ate there when I visited Akihabara. Aside from that, it is mainly an electronics and computer Mecca. Even if you are not anime oriented, it may still be worthwhile to check out the maid cafes just to experience it. There are also gaming centers, if you like arcade games.

The stair comment in that Wiki page is true. The harder to access (and seedier) the place is, the better the prices. Anime goods are really a must buy there. Gundam models are dirt cheap too.

Cool, thanks.

I'll have to do a look around the nearby area for places to go just in case we (as in everybody but I) don't feel like staying there for the whole day.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Okay. I've just had a toilet wash my ass for the first time. It's kinda ticklish.

David75
Mon, 11-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Okay. I've just had a toilet wash my ass for the first time. It's kinda ticklish.

There's a showroom I've been visiting in Paris, where you can actually try some models... of course in an other private part of the showroom :p
I admitt that when the very beautiful lady proposed that I try one of the models, I somehow felt that would not be possible :o

I've been looking for such toilets, then realised at home you can always have a shower... and when you're out, you're screwed since no one has those toilets so you get to use other solutions.

I admitt that should those toilets be everywhere, that would be a nice thing.

Animeniax
Mon, 11-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Those washlets are awesome. Weird at first and weirder if you ponder about it, but still a clean and refreshing experience each time you use it.

I checked into getting one stateside and they range in price from $700 for the base model up to more than $1800 for the more advanced ones.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Visited the Tsukiji market yesterday, the ghibli museum, and had an evening stroll in Akihabara. (The crowd lining up for Nanoha 1st's Nov 26th BD release - dunno why it was selling today, reminded me of just how much catch-up I have to do. Surprisingly, I'm in no hurry to do so.)

Fish market was a pretty nice place to do something different, and have chance to eat fresh sushi and sashimi. While my tongue can taste the difference between fair and bad sushi, I think I have some difficulty appreciating excellent sushi to the max - a little bit of it is lost on me, but it was still very good.

Ghibli was pretty cool. They had exclusive short films airing and each person was only allowed to watch ONE once.

I only had a quick look at Akihabara, but I can't really do it comfortably with 4 other people. I think tomorrow I can have the day off until dinner (at the very least, half a day off), and I plan on going back there to freestyle around the place. Don't expect dirt cheap electronics or anything, since tourism changed just about everything, You'll really need to make time to explore so you can bump into those ones that are of interest.

Animeniax
Thu, 11-25-2010, 02:50 PM
We all know you want to visit those H- shops and maid cafes in Akihabara, you perv.

Just kidding, hope you're having a great time. Have you had real J-ramen with gyouza yet? Those plus a J-beer are the best meal outside of a Kobe steak dinner.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-26-2010, 04:05 AM
We all know you want to visit those H- shops and maid cafes in Akihabara, you perv.

Just kidding, hope you're having a great time. Have you had real J-ramen with gyouza yet? Those plus a J-beer are the best meal outside of a Kobe steak dinner.

Haha. Yeah, I've had J-ramen. I'll comment on that with photos when I get them later.

Regarding the H-shops, I do admit I enjoy the option of being able to walk into one of them without being accused of stuff. :p

I ended up walking through entire levels of shops without the pressure of leading the group, keeping them together, having a destination and seeing if everyone's bored.

I pretty much ditched the map and wandered until it was time to go. Good times.