PDA

View Full Version : Mix Tapes (cds, whatever)

Death BOO Z
Fri, 03-21-2008, 09:08 PM
ever done/recived one?

you know, a cassete with your perssonal choice of songs, to appeal to that special lady, like the guys in early 90's teen comdeys did.

I've been reminded of this becuase a smallville episode aired this week featured this and I've been robo-chickennig the entire weekend (which got me nostallgic).

anyways, share your thoughs, ideas and experiences on the subject.

Assassin
Fri, 03-21-2008, 10:43 PM
I've always found the idea to be extremely lame. But hey, what do i know about love.

Abdula
Fri, 03-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Sure I used to do that stuff all the time, never to present to anyone though, it was usually by request for people who either couldn't be bothered or didn't have the time.

I agree with Assasin though I've always thought it to be extremely lame to give to someone as a gift because it really doesn't take much effort, although my little sister got one for her birthday many many years ago and she still has it to this day. Never gave one to someone I was interested in, in the the hopes of getting them interested in me or anything like that, but I did give my girlfriend a Zune already filled with her favorite songs, videos, pics etc for Christmas, among other things, now that took alot of time, effort and energy not to mention money but it was greatly appreciated

Animeniax
Sat, 03-22-2008, 08:54 AM
I think it's romantic and I would wine, dine, and bang the first girl who gives me one or happily accepted one from me. Unfortunately too many people think it's uncool or corny, so mix tapes/CDs are out of style these days so no one gives or receives them to my knowledge.

Sapphire
Sat, 03-22-2008, 08:58 AM
I did one back in like.. the 90s, but it wasn't in response to any of those teen romances, I did it just to have one.

It had all the hit songs that girls love!

What would you do
Lady Marmalade
Barbie Girl
Would you be my girlfriend

And much, much more!

Death BOO Z
Sat, 03-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Sapphire. your profile says '13', you haven't been born in the 90's. the mix tapes generation only happened to people who were born at about 1970-1985.

but on the account that you might actually be over 20... when you made the mix, how did you choose the songs?

Animeniax
Sat, 03-22-2008, 09:05 AM
I think she already answered both questions. Her age is made up, just like mine. And she chose songs that were popular to girls at the time.

Sapphire
Sat, 03-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Well I didn't have a mix tape, I had a mix CD and I didn't do it in response to anything on TV or any generation..

I chose them because I liked them and I also loved to dance to them.

Edit: Looks like Ani already got to the question lol

DB_Hunter
Sat, 03-22-2008, 11:03 AM
I've always found the idea to be extremely lame. But hey, what do i know about love.

Refer to this (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=371226&postcount=23)

XanBcoo
Sat, 03-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Well I didn't have a mix tape, I had a mix CD and I didn't do it in response to anything on TV or any generation..
He means that a Mix-tape isn't the same thing as a compilation CD of songs that you like.

Making mix-tapes was a popular thing in the 80s, where a guy/girl would give someone they liked a tape of thematically related songs, or songs that conveyed their personal feelings about the other. Sort of like a Concept Album made up of lots of bands' songs. It was meant as a romantic gesture of labor and artistic expression.

And yeah, no one really does it anymore.

Sapphire
Sat, 03-22-2008, 12:57 PM
rofl, I gave a couple copies out to the girls at my school, but only because they loved my genius music taste.

Bwahaha.*cough*

Junior
Sat, 03-22-2008, 02:33 PM
What Sapphire said.

I've done it for friends...I don't really think it's romantic.

Animeniax
Sat, 03-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Doesn't that really depend on what songs you include on the tape? Like if it's all love songs, that would be a pretty romantic tape.

Junior
Sat, 03-22-2008, 03:12 PM
I suppose it depends on if you're giving it to someone you're trying to impress or something.

I mean, you could like a girl, and give her a mix CD with trance. Would that be romantic? o_o If you did it because you like her?

Sapphire
Sat, 03-22-2008, 03:24 PM
If you wanna go -there- what defines romantic? Berry Manilow? Tupac? Disney? XD

In that case I don't like a majority of the stereotypically romantic music out there. But it might be romantic for some guy to give me all my favorite songs like Abdula did, thus romantic in the gesture but not necessarily the contents

Junior
Sat, 03-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Sapphire, you have a new thread there.

WHAT DEFINES ROMANTIC XD

I suppose some Mariah Carey and Backstreet Boys would be good.

XanBcoo
Sat, 03-22-2008, 04:21 PM
None of you seem to understand the concept. I guess that shows how outdated it is.

Doesn't that really depend on what songs you include on the tape? Like if it's all love songs, that would be a pretty romantic tape.
This is more or less it. But it's not just love songs in general, it's specific love songs lyrically or thematically relevant to your feelings about the other person. I guess it's not just limited to love, but that's how I always saw it.

It's not "here's some love songs I think you'd like". It's "Here's some songs, picked and arranged in a way which accurately convey my feelings about you."

Sapphire
Sat, 03-22-2008, 04:46 PM
I understand the concept perfectly. I saw it on a gameshow once.

Coincidentally, I have a project like this due on Tuesday. Only I have to make a mix CD with a bunch of songs corresponding to Hamlet.

Abdula
Sat, 03-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Huh, is that what they do in schools these days.

- Some one neg repped me saying "Ignorance is bliss" normally I wouldn't care but I just don't get this one.

XanBcoo
Sat, 03-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Huh, is that what they do in schools these days.
You really don't want to know (http://www.babasword.com/writing/rapcantales.html)

Abdula
Sat, 03-22-2008, 04:58 PM
o_o

This is here because the message has to be 8 characters long.

Archangel
Sat, 03-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Dont really find the idea romantic, did it for friends but thats it.

Sapphire
Sat, 03-22-2008, 06:22 PM
You really don't want to know (http://www.babasword.com/writing/rapcantales.html)
This made me heartily chortle IRL, particularly because that's the last thing we read

Abdula
Sat, 03-22-2008, 06:25 PM
heartily chortle

First Ani and now you. What kind of person uses that language.

Junior
Sun, 03-23-2008, 11:19 AM
I understand the concept perfectly. I saw it on a gameshow once.

Coincidentally, I have a project like this due on Tuesday. Only I have to make a mix CD with a bunch of songs corresponding to Hamlet.

WHUT. I wish we could do that! D: We're just...dramatising it or something. ;_; I gotta play Hamlet.

It's not "here's some love songs I think you'd like". It's "Here's some songs, picked and arranged in a way which accurately convey my feelings about you."

THAT sounds romanticish. If only all mix tapes were that accurate.

Sapphire
Sun, 03-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Playacting sounds more fun. I would use a bunch of foreign music but my constantly pregnant teacher looks down on things she doesn't understand.