PDA

View Full Version : Vista Service-pack 1

itadakimasu
Wed, 03-19-2008, 09:57 AM
I was going to post this thread last night as i watched my computers sloth-like install of vista sp1. I started the install at around 4:30 and it finished around 9:30...

and i'm running a pretty fast computer so thats just a little slow. I didn't get a chance to look at any benefits or fixes because all I did once it was up was fix my display settings that it changed and then went to bed.

If you're going to install this service pack, do it when you goto bed. Goodluck.

Archangel
Thu, 03-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Thats weird, im using windows vista ultimate and it hasnt shown up to download yet. Is it because im using the portuguese version?

Xrlderek
Thu, 03-20-2008, 05:25 PM
It showed up on my main computer. My laptop, however, has yet to find it.

Archangel
Thu, 03-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Lol that's even weirder. Since my computer is so amazingly fucked up atm, a service pack could be just what i need.

Shadow Skill
Tue, 04-01-2008, 12:16 PM
I installed it a few days ago...

So far, my computer shuts down and reboots a lot faster. Sadly, my programs that load at startup, ATI, Anti-Virus, Steam, Etc etc, Load a lot slower than before the Service Pack. Takes a good 2 minutes to load everything, when before the Service pack, it took, a good 15 seconds to load everything. So I am not sure this is a fix...

Archangel
Tue, 04-01-2008, 04:52 PM
I still don't see it on my updates... can this be downloaded directly from microsoft.com ?

Munsu
Thu, 04-03-2008, 04:40 PM
I still don't see it on my updates... can this be downloaded directly from microsoft.com ?
http://windowsaddict.blogspot.com/2008/03/windows-vista-sp1-not-appearing-in.html

It didn't appear to me either until I had downloaded an installed every single update available in the Windows Update.

The installation wasn't as slow as it was made here, and it does provide some helpful fixes that were pissing me off... the main one was fixing the transfering speed over networks.

Board of Command
Fri, 04-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Just download the standalone packages.

Archangel
Fri, 04-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Actaully i've done some research and it looks like i'll still have to wait a litle bit since im using the portuguese versions and so far only five languages are supported.

Munsu
Fri, 04-04-2008, 03:43 PM
I've always found it moronic when people have their OS in another language if they understand English... it's a pain in the ass.

My brother is one of those morons.

Board of Command
Fri, 04-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Chinese and Korean people are big culprits. A lot of the ones who are perfectly fluent in English still insist on installing a different language version.

It's a pain in the ass when they have problems with their computers and ask you to help, but you can't can't read the words.

Munsu
Fri, 04-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Chinese and Korean people are big culprits. A lot of the ones who are perfectly fluent in English still insist on installing a different language version.

It's a pain in the ass when they have problems with their computers and ask you to help, but you can't can't read the words.
But you see, I kind of understand it for Asiatic countries that their writing don't resemble the alphabet...

But to do it for French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, etc... those types of languages, don't make sense to me... unless the user doesn't understand English.

Even so, you can keep your OS system in English and change the language of your keyboard.

But whatever, I still recommend getting SP1 for those that can get it.

Archangel
Sat, 04-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Well, it's just easier to understand i think.

Looks like the rest of the major languages r gonna get it next week

complich8
Sat, 04-05-2008, 05:11 PM
I know at least two Americans who kept their OSes in Japanese for most of college, figuring it'd force them to absorb more of the language. Both were Japanese minors.

It didn't work very well. It just convinced all their friends that they were retarded japanophile otakus who thought they could take shortcuts instead of bothering with the kanji flash cards all the time like the kids who did well in those classes.

Archangel
Sat, 04-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Lol they should just watch loads of anime, i'm actually starting to pick up some expressions and finding myself actuallly understanding a sentence or 2.

Btw i've been getting the evil blue screen lately, think SP1 will get rid of it?

Board of Command
Sun, 04-06-2008, 01:02 AM
Lol they should just watch loads of anime, i'm actually starting to pick up some expressions and finding myself actuallly understanding a sentence or 2.
Reading/writing is very different from verbal comprehension in oriental languages. I can understand probably about a fifth of the stuff they say in anime, but I still don't have a single clue about Japanese script.

Archangel
Sun, 04-06-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm also getting recently a loss in audio after starting some divx files... any tips?

Archangel
Thu, 04-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Bump:

i just downloaded it and i have to say i'm very happy with it. All the annoying little things that were bothering me have been fixed adn the computer is running more smoothly than ever. I highly recommend you all get this update :D