PDA

View Full Version : Bad Customer service...

itadakimasu
Sat, 03-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Ok, in the past 2 days I have witnessed two instances of terrible customer service.

Yesterday I was buying some ram at frys for a cheap dell i got and thought i'd get a wireless router since my linksys has a problem w\ utorrent... so this guy is trying to sell me this $90 wireless N router and what not... i was just looking for a cheap router and this guy kept talking and talking as if he knew what he was talking about.... which he doesn't and which is why he is working at frys for probably $8.00 / hr.

And today i was at the mall and i stopped in the Dell store to surf the internet and ebay and what not. And the phone rings next to me and this guy working there answers it and proceeds to tell some woman who can't log into her computer that she is SOL and that she will have to re-install and lose all of her saved stuff and what not.... he goes on to tell her that since she cant find her install disc she will likely have to drop $200-300 to buy a new copy of windows xp or vista.

What an asshole, I would charge her $35 maybe to recover her password for her and here this guy is telling her that not only did they probably sell her a rediculously overpriced computer, but that they will not offer her any support for said computer. that was pretty sad. </ rant>

KrayZ33
Sat, 03-15-2008, 02:29 PM
there was this one time, when i ordered 2 cheeseburgers and got 2 chicken burgers...

sad things can happen man, thats life :(

(btw i m totally serious)

Board of Command
Sat, 03-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Ok, in the past 2 days I have witnessed two instances of terrible customer service.

Yesterday I was buying some ram at frys for a cheap dell i got and thought i'd get a wireless router since my linksys has a problem w\ utorrent... so this guy is trying to sell me this $90 wireless N router and what not... i was just looking for a cheap router and this guy kept talking and talking as if he knew what he was talking about.... which he doesn't and which is why he is working at frys for probably $8.00 / hr.

And today i was at the mall and i stopped in the Dell store to surf the internet and ebay and what not. And the phone rings next to me and this guy working there answers it and proceeds to tell some woman who can't log into her computer that she is SOL and that she will have to re-install and lose all of her saved stuff and what not.... he goes on to tell her that since she cant find her install disc she will likely have to drop $200-300 to buy a new copy of windows xp or vista.

What an asshole, I would charge her $35 maybe to recover her password for her and here this guy is telling her that not only did they probably sell her a rediculously overpriced computer, but that they will not offer her any support for said computer. that was pretty sad. </ rant>
They're only like that because most customers are gullible and don't know any better. Most people in the world are technologically illiterate.

BioAlien
Sat, 03-15-2008, 02:50 PM
If I didn't know you were living in Dallas, I could have sworn you were talking about my aunt there..

Animeniax
Sun, 03-16-2008, 04:17 AM
Until people realize computers and technology aren't scary and out of their realm of understanding, these sorts of scams and misinformation will happen. I used to be worried that my career in the IT industry would become obsolete once people caught on that computing isn't as difficult as they believed. Boy was I wrong. Tech support will be around forever because people are afraid.

It's the same with anything really. Look at cars and the medical field. If some doctor tells you that weird pain in your little toe is caused by a problem with your heart that requires open heart surgery, you might be inclined to let him operate, even if the actual problem is far less severe. In the end, it's a person's own responsibility to educate themselves or ask for 2nd opinions, or risk getting sold some swamp land in Florida.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 03-16-2008, 04:39 AM
Until people realize computers and technology aren't scary and out of their realm of understanding, these sorts of scams and misinformation will happen. I used to be worried that my career in the IT industry would become obsolete once people caught on that computing isn't as difficult as they believed. Boy was I wrong. Tech support will be around forever because people are afraid.

It's the same with anything really. Look at cars and the medical field. If some doctor tells you that weird pain in your little toe is caused by a problem with your heart that requires open heart surgery, you might be inclined to let him operate, even if the actual problem is far less severe. In the end, it's a person's own responsibility to educate themselves or ask for 2nd opinions, or risk getting sold some swamp land in Florida.

I'm hesitant to agree with you about the medical field. There's a lot of training and learning going on in university and colleges, and it's not really knowledge, skill or understanding that can be gained for wiki or google. Same with a proper tech with a degree from itadakimasu's story. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that guy seemed like more of a store assistant than a proper tech, so he sounded like doing stuff from a textbook. Can't log in? Start from step 1. Can't find CD? Have to come buy another.

Animeniax
Sun, 03-16-2008, 05:01 AM
I'm hesitant to agree with you about the medical field. There's a lot of training and learning going on in university and colleges, and it's not really knowledge, skill or understanding that can be gained for wiki or google. Same with a proper tech with a degree from itadakimasu's story. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that guy seemed like more of a store assistant than a proper tech, so he sounded like doing stuff from a textbook. Can't log in? Start from step 1. Can't find CD? Have to come buy another.
It's scary to think but there are more hacks in the medical field than we'd like to believe, simply because we put so much faith in them to keep us alive. Only recently have I personally made the discovery that a lot of doctors are motivated by financial gain. They'll prescribe drugs made by pharmaceuticals in which they own stock or are looking for a job with when they quit practicing medicine. And hospitals are now businesses too, with HMOs and insurance companies calling the shots. It's like anything, if you go in uninformed, you're at the salesperson's mercy.

I'm in IT and I know plenty of "techs", not store assistants, who don't know sh*t about computing and technology. There's this one guy (who started as a tech and is now a manager) who liked to blame any and all IT issues on solar flares. Other "techs" where I currently work don't know how to take screenshots. Unfortunately in the IT tech business, especially in corporate IT, all you need to know is about 5 tricks: how to connect to a network printer, how to set up the mail client, reboot, reinstall, and reimage. That will get you a $45k/yr job in the states.

Board of Command
Sun, 03-16-2008, 12:57 PM
It's scary to think but there are more hacks in the medical field than we'd like to believe, simply because we put so much faith in them to keep us alive.
Especially in China, where a lot of people have this crazy idea that every little illness needs to by drugs because as long as you take the drugs, any drugs, you will get better. They will go to the doctors to ask for drugs, and the doctors will prescribe them whatever crap they want because they know that as long as the patients gets the drug and take it, they're happy.

It's not even the placebo effect. They're just very close-minded.

Animeniax
Sun, 03-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Especially in China, where a lot of people have this crazy idea that every little illness needs to by drugs because as long as you take the drugs, any drugs, you will get better. They will go to the doctors to ask for drugs, and the doctors will prescribe them whatever crap they want because they know that as long as the patients gets the drug and take it, they're happy.

It's not even the placebo effect. They're just very close-minded.To summarize, people are sheep. You can sell them anything or make them believe anything if you're convincing enough.

The Chinese drug deal is a little different though. The docs aren't even to blame in that case. I've always advocated that a populace like the mainland Chinese need communist dictatorship to guide them.

KrayZ33
Sun, 03-16-2008, 01:29 PM
this might sound funny but arn't police officers in china allowed to shoot drug dealers in the open street?

someone told me that and to be honest, i believe him lol

so i always thought that china is pretty much free from drugs since it is so dangerous and because of communism (drugs hinder their ideology and so on, well basically drugs hinder every ideology)

Board of Command
Sun, 03-16-2008, 01:59 PM
this might sound funny but arn't police officers in china allowed to shoot drug dealers in the open street?

someone told me that and to be honest, i believe him lol

so i always thought that china is pretty much free from drugs since it is so dangerous and because of communism (drugs hinder their ideology and so on, well basically drugs hinder every ideology)
Whoever told you that is full of crap. People don't do drugs in China because they can't afford it. Most people are too poor for it. The only drug in China is cigarettes because it's dirt cheap there.

KrayZ33
Sun, 03-16-2008, 03:11 PM
well in thailand drugs dealer ARE shot down by police...

and google tells me that china will probably have most addicts world wide (in 5 years)

and i think it happened there some years ago, too (probably ~1940 or so)

Board of Command
Sun, 03-16-2008, 03:56 PM
well in thailand drugs dealer ARE shot down by police...

and google tells me that china will probably have most addicts world wide (in 5 years)

and i think it happened there some years ago, too (probably ~1940 or so)
I'm having trouble understanding this post...

1. Thailand is very very different from China. Thailand also has a huge shemale population.

2. I'm going to have to disagree with Google. What exactly constitutes an addict? There are certainly less heroin and cocaine activity out on the streets. Cigarettes, on the other hand, is probably tops in the world. I would guess that 75% of men in China are smokers.

3. You have to keep in mind that ~1940 is when the Communist Revolution took place.

Idealistic
Sun, 03-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Speaking of medical field.. I use acne medication off the streets that are sold from Laos/Thailand instead of proactiv and all that other stuff. It works for me. So yeah, it's not sold in America because the average American consumer, if something goes wrong they'll sue you and whatever.

Board of Command
Sun, 03-16-2008, 05:17 PM
I find that a lot of over the counter drugs are ineffective and generally useless. You have to get prescription drugs if you want the good stuff, which can sometimes be a hassle.

complich8
Mon, 03-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Unfortunately in the IT tech business, especially in corporate IT, all you need to know is about 5 tricks: how to connect to a network printer, how to set up the mail client, reboot, reinstall, and reimage. That will get you a $45k/yr job in the states.

This is true... an entry-level helpdesk tech will spend the majority of his time doing pretty much those 4 things (reinstall = reimage). But most of the time they've got someone a bit more knowledgeable behind them who gave them a doc on how to reimage and how to connect to a network printer. Of course, sometimes the people who're doing the process development and documentation are promoted in from the helpdesk and never bothered to reactivate the old neocortex on promotion... but often there's at least someone with the lights on back at tier 2 or 3...

I find that a lot of over the counter drugs are ineffective and generally useless. You have to get prescription drugs if you want the good stuff, which can sometimes be a hassle.

Depends on the drugs. Sudafed (pseudoephedrine HCL) is remarkably effective and was OTC for decades, but since it's a precursor for meth and meth usage has been on the rise for a while, it's been transitioned to basically a controlled substance all over the place -- and as such removed from cocktails like NyQuil. On the other hand, there's a couple other drugs that are pretty effective that've recently transitioned from prescription-only to OTC.

Animeniax
Mon, 03-17-2008, 12:59 AM
This is true... an entry-level helpdesk tech will spend the majority of his time doing pretty much those 4 things (reinstall = reimage). But most of the time they've got someone a bit more knowledgeable behind them who gave them a doc on how to reimage and how to connect to a network printer. Of course, sometimes the people who're doing the process development and documentation are promoted in from the helpdesk and never bothered to reactivate the old neocortex on promotion... but often there's at least someone with the lights on back at tier 2 or 3...
Well sometimes reinstalling an application can fix a problem versus having to reimage the entire disk drive, so they can be considered two separate "skills". I've worked at companies with and without a tier 2 or 3 support group, so sometimes all a user has to rely on is the helpdesk phone operator who reads a script. It's really sad that the support people I described with the 5 tasks skill set are actually considered level 2 techs, ie desktop support techs. If helpdesk techs are hacks, then these desktop support techs are even bigger hacks.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-17-2008, 06:26 AM
Well sometimes reinstalling an application can fix a problem versus having to reimage the entire disk drive, so they can be considered two separate "skills". I've worked at companies with and without a tier 2 or 3 support group, so sometimes all a user has to rely on is the helpdesk phone operator who reads a script. It's really sad that the support people I described with the 5 tasks skill set are actually considered level 2 techs, ie desktop support techs. If helpdesk techs are hacks, then these desktop support techs are even bigger hacks.

So... that makes most of us here level 5+ techs in the US? I'm really surprised to hear that. I know that there are cases in the medical profession where doctors stuff up and stuff. A lot can happen in hospitals, but that's partially because a lot of new graduates have to work there without being able to prescribe from desktop databases like their experienced counterparts can, which often causes problems. An example of which is that a ward pharmacist once had to pick up on an error where a doctor prescribed a topical drug to a patient and told her to take it three times a day with food. But yes, doctors do have certain preferences when prescribing. They are confronted at times by representatives from drug companies, or the national drug department and are educated in terms of new products and their potency. Some do get paid for prescribing certain products. As for the effectiveness of OTC drugs, as Complich8 said, it really depends. A lot is also dependent on the amount of active ingredients in the drug. For example, Panadeine in low amount packages are OTC, but those that exceed a certain amount of codeine are considered prescription only. Mind you, the amount of codeine in Panadeine does jack all. It really has no real therapeutic effect, that's what we're told at uni.

On one hand you have the techs who don't know shit and just tell you to do stuff your friend with, what I classify as average computer skills, can do, while you have those from the Edison Chen saga who probably know a lot more, but don't tell you. It feels like I'm talking about lawyers.

Animeniax
Mon, 03-17-2008, 07:09 AM
So... that makes most of us here level 5+ techs in the US?
I've actually made that joke before! They were re-hiring this hack as a level 2 tech, and I quipped, "so I guess that makes me a level 10 tech". Too bad I'm paid the same as the hack, but at least I'll tell users the truth when dealing with their PC problems, instead of using tech jargon to confuse the user like the hack does.

Board of Command
Mon, 03-17-2008, 09:56 AM
So that makes me over lvl 9000??

KrayZ33
Wed, 03-19-2008, 11:51 AM
no, didn't i tell you that you are over one million!?

Board of Command
Wed, 03-19-2008, 02:13 PM
That's still OVER 9000!!

Animeniax
Wed, 03-19-2008, 02:41 PM
I think KrayZ33's scouter is broken. You're not even in SSJ1 mode, so how can you even be 9000?

I pulled some hijinks when I was doing helpdesk support. I'd do a country accent on calls, and sometimes an Indian (red dot) accent. It was a great way to have a little fun at work, and I helped them with their PC issues too. Those were the days when everything was simple and fun, though low paying.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-20-2008, 04:34 AM
But really, I think sometimes you need a tech who's not a full tech, but not as useless as the ones described in this thread. You need a proxy of some sort to relay infro from the tech guru to the general public granny. Today I was trying to explain torrent/pieces/seeds/port forwarding//UPnP to a bunch of girls. I can't say it was working.

edit: should I say, computer illiterate girls. Not generalising all females out there.

Animeniax
Thu, 03-20-2008, 06:59 AM
Were these girls hot?

I've found that a successful tech at the mid to low levels needs to be as much a customer service person as a tech. The real tech gurus often advance quickly into more technical areas, which is good because they were terrible at relaying information to the typical uneducated user without making the user feel dumb and upset.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Were these girls hot?

One or two were. "Hotness" covered a broad spectrum that time.

I've found that a successful tech at the mid to low levels needs to be as much a customer service person as a tech. The real tech gurus often advance quickly into more technical areas, which is good because they were terrible at relaying information to the typical uneducated user without making the user feel dumb and upset.

That's true. I often find that it's the mid level techs with good customer service who end up with, or keeping store management positions. It applies to a lesser extent to behind-the-scene services such as phone support. I often find email support replies to have, not awful, but less than graceful English.

Animeniax
Thu, 03-20-2008, 08:48 AM
The bad email is probably because the author is writing from India or the midwest. There are a lot of call centers in the American midwest, probably because of low salary requirements, and therefore lots of country folk "reading" and "writing" from scripts.

I predict these folks doing "tech support" will be replaced by machines in the year 2500. Yes, that's how pathetic the human race is.

Board of Command
Thu, 03-20-2008, 10:25 AM
2500 is way too long. I'd say 2010.

Animeniax
Thu, 03-20-2008, 10:42 AM
I used to think that it would only be a short time before PCs were simple enough to troubleshoot that I would be out of a tech support job by 2005, but here we are in 2008 and people still can't find the damn "any" key.

I still get told on almost a weekly basis by some user that they're not "computer literate", so they'll leave the complicated task of turning on the computer to the "IT guru".

XanBcoo
Thu, 03-20-2008, 11:06 AM
I used to think that it would only be a short time before PCs were simple enough to troubleshoot that I would be out of a tech support job by 2005, but here we are in 2008 and people still can't find the damn "any" key.

You think that's bad, it was even worse in the Middle Ages (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ&feature=related)

But really, I think sometimes you need a tech who's not a full tech, but not as useless as the ones described in this thread. You need a proxy of some sort to relay infro from the tech guru to the general public granny. Today I was trying to explain torrent/pieces/seeds/port forwarding//UPnP to a bunch of girls. I can't say it was working.
I think it really just takes someone who can explain things in a logical way, or at least use effective analogies to describe the finer points to the people their trying to help. The worst thing is to just have them give up on you and do it themselves.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-20-2008, 05:15 PM
You think that's bad, it was even worse in the Middle Ages (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ&feature=related)

"Have you read the manual?" rofl

Animeniax
Thu, 03-20-2008, 11:46 PM
I can't access youtube, I'm not computer literate enough. What happens in the clip?

kAi
Fri, 03-21-2008, 09:24 PM

I actually said that to someone once as it came on the screen to press any key.

"Do you know where the 'any' key is?"

She was like "Oh, no, where is it?"

I laughed and said I was joking.

Abdula
Fri, 03-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Wait does that crap actually happen, I can't believe this. I mean there is computer illiterate and then there is just illiterate.

Assertn
Sat, 03-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Wait does that crap actually happen, I can't believe this. I mean there is computer illiterate and then there is just illiterate.
Indeed. When you can't read a book, you're illiterate.

Board of Command
Sat, 03-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Indeed. When you can't read a book, you're illiterate.
Oh Assertn I can read you like a book.