PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Engine VS Cry Engine

Zachiru-Hirosaki
Thu, 03-13-2008, 11:54 AM
What do you think is the best Engine
The Unreal Engine is a widely-used game engine developed by Epic Games. First illustrated in the 1998 first-person shooter game Unreal, it has been the basis of many games since, including Unreal Tournament, Mass Effect, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield, America's Army, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas, Red Steel, Gears of War, BioShock, Tactical Ops and so forth. Although primarily developed for first-person shooters, it has been successfully utilized in a variety of genres, including 3rd-person stealth (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell), MMORPG (Vanguard: Saga of Heroes) as well as RPG games with Mass Effect .
Its core written in C++, the Unreal Engine features a high degree of portability, supporting a multitude of platforms including Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac OS and Mac OS X on personal computers and many video game consoles including the Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and Wii. A great deal of the gameplay code is written in UnrealScript, a proprietary scripting language, and as such large parts of the gameplay can be modified without delving deep into the engine internals. Additionally, as with other middleware packages, the Unreal Engine also provides various tools to assist with content creation, both for designers and artists.
The latest release is the Unreal Engine 3, which is designed around Microsoft's DirectX 9 technology for 32/64-bit Windows and Xbox 360 platforms, DirectX 10 for 32/64-bit Windows Vista, and OpenGL for 32/64-bit Linux, Mac OS X and PlayStation 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_engine

Cry Engine
CryENGINE is a game engine used for the first-person shooter computer game Far Cry. It was originally developed by Crytek as a technology demo for NVIDIA and, when the company saw its potential, it was turned into a game.

When video cards with support for 3.0 pixel and vertex shaders were released, Crytek released version 1.2 of the engine which used some of the capabilities for better graphics. It also uses Polybump, a special way of rendering texture to make them appear bumpy. Unlike Bumpmapping this uses actual polygons instead of layers of texture; this led to games like Farcry being very performance demanding.
Later the company developed Cryengine version 1.3, which added support for HDR lighting.
The engine has been licensed to NCSoft for their forthcoming MMORPG, Aion

On March 30th 2006, Ubisoft acquired all rights to the CryENGINE 2 and the engine now has no legal ties to Crytek.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryENGINE

I think Unreal Engine because they are used for great games Example Gears of War and UT series. But from now on is the cryENGINE the best because of the game Crysis

Revealed Unreal Engine 4 (not for the PC!!)
http://kotaku.com/367219/unreal-engine-4-targeting-consoles-not-pcs

Board of Command
Thu, 03-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Unreal Engine, if you want to judge them by success. There's no comparison.

Ryllharu
Thu, 03-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Unreal.

The CryEngine certainly beats Unreal on the shiny shiny, but it has always been far too demanding of the hardware running it. Unreal manages to look nearly as good, but is far more customizable (as evident by how many more places it has been licensed over the years) and can run on more systems with a better performance.

That, and there's nothing like a twitch shooter to prove performance. A stealth centered-engine like the CryEngine just doesn't compare.

Animeniax
Thu, 03-13-2008, 11:47 PM
What engine does CoD4 use? That kicks ass.

I think Crytek relied too heavily on their engine and therefore let the gameplay and storyline of Crysis suffer. As others have said, the system demands of the engine were excessive, so a lot of people were forced to play at lower settings, so you didn't get the benefit of the advancements anyway, and a sucky storyline.

Chiodos
Fri, 03-14-2008, 11:56 AM
FPS game with sucky story is standard nowdays, so is almost the Unreal engine. Some of our answers will be answered when they have announced more information on their own game.

And I hardly know any games where they have used CryEngine : O!

Board of Command
Sat, 03-15-2008, 01:33 AM
I think Far Cry and Crysis are the only games that use the CryEngine. Far Cry 2 is coming out in the near future but it won't be using CryEngine.

Looks like a lot more games will be using the CryEngine2 compared to the original CryEngine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryENGINE2#Games_using_the_CryENGINE2

Chiodos
Sat, 03-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Actuallly, are CryEngine and Unreal Engine THE best engines out there right now? And I've only heard Unreal Engine games...

Board of Command
Sat, 03-15-2008, 02:23 PM
I'd say Source Engine is the best. It gives decent visuals with excellent performance. Half Life 2 would not be the same game with any other engine. Source is very good for large scale physics.

Chiodos
Sun, 03-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Physics? It felt like I flew through the game! or maybe I was hyptotized by it's amazingness and are now complaning that everything feels so....lightweighted.

Board of Command
Sun, 03-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Physics? It felt like I flew through the game! or maybe I was hyptotized by it's amazingness and are now complaning that everything feels so....lightweighted.
It does have that "smooth" feeling when you move around. I think a lot of old shooters were like that. Most new games, such as CoD4, have a very "rigid" feel.

By physics, I meant things like the big bridge collapsing in Episode 2.

animus
Sun, 03-16-2008, 01:07 PM
I actually find CoD4's rigid feeling more realistic. It's pretty awfully hard to run around with kevlar, guns, a sidearm, various grenades. Sprinting was rather realistic too, with the moderate swaying of the view.

Board of Command
Sun, 03-16-2008, 02:01 PM
It's definitely more realistic because it's more of a tactic shooter, whereas Half Life is a classic action shooter.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-17-2008, 06:52 AM
What engine does CoD4 use? That kicks ass.

CoD4 runs on a proprietary engine, so I guess Infinity Ward hasn't really given it a name yet. I don't play enough video games to comment on the the actual topic. :p

Board of Command
Mon, 03-17-2008, 09:59 AM
I think CoD4 uses an upgraded version of the CoD2 engine, whatever that was. Everything feels the same; it just looks prettier.

Chiodos
Mon, 03-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Unreal Engine has the habit of using more special effects than extreme detailed textures. Atleast the majority of games out there.

Bioshock's water effects, or the effects at all were superior. And they also hit the click with it's design.
If the Unreal Engine is in the right hands, it can become something special.

Like Bioshock ^^!