PDA

View Full Version : TV: New Amsterdam

Munsu
Tue, 03-04-2008, 07:13 PM
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1451/newamsterdaman2.jpg

Here's a series that I've been interested in a while to start, and it finally is. A couple of months back there was a preair dvdrip of the pilot going around, so you can get that if you're interested or just wait for it to air tonight. I enjoyed the first episode, I thought it brought up a couple of interesting plot points and I think the main character is good for the time being.

With that said, we'll get 3 episodes in a span of 1 week. One episode tonight, another on Thursday and next Monday we'll have yet another one, so we won't have to waste much time to get into the series. Sadly, only 6 episodes were made for this series, and they'll all air during March. Hopefully it does well and gets renewed.

New York City homicide detective John Amsterdam is cursed with immortality because he stopped the murder of a Native Indian girl in 1642 by stepping in front of a sword. Due to this act of kindness, the Indian girl rescued Amsterdam from the stab wound by making him immortal, but warns that it is a curse that will only be lifted when John meets his true love.

Now, Amsterdam is a homicide detective in the Big Apple where he shares his secret with Omar, a blues club owner with a few secrets of his own. John is partnered up with Eva Marquez and gets into a chase with a suspect. When he suffers what appears to be a heart attack and is revived by ER doctor Sara Dillane, he realizes that mortality may be closer then he thought.

New Amsterdam is produced by Laha Films, Regency Television, Sarabande Productions and Scarlet Fire Productions.

http://www.tv.com/new-amsterdam/show/68703/summary.html?q=&tag=search_results;title;1

Abdula
Tue, 03-04-2008, 11:11 PM
It was an okay episode, nothing really stood out to separate this show from the other shows in the genre, so I'll have to wait and see the other episodes before I can form an opinion. One thing though when I was watching this show I kept feeling like I was watching and episode of Life, don't know if thats a good thing though.

SamuraiOdin
Tue, 03-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Fox has had 8 episodes produced out of 13 ordered according to this:
http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/Exclusive-Fox-Brings/800024814

Abdula
Tue, 03-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Really they took forever to finally air the show and they still need more time to evaluate what direction the show is going to go in. Hopefully they will take their time and figure this one out though because the series has potential and I really want a good supernatural detective show to watch but these things never last.

SamuraiOdin
Wed, 03-05-2008, 02:28 AM
Really they took forever to finally air the show and they still need more time to evaluate what direction the show is going to go in. Hopefully they will take their time and figure this one out though because the series has potential and I really want a good supernatural detective show to watch but these things never last.
The best, I think, was the Dresden Files on Sci Fi. But then again, I really liked the books, so maybe that had something to do with it. Sad to say they cancelled it after only 1 season.

Munsu
Wed, 03-05-2008, 03:24 AM
Fox has had 8 episodes produced out of 13 ordered according to this:
http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/Exclusive-Fox-Brings/800024814
Yeah, I remember the articles that said eight... but seeing all the schedules and information around leads me to believe that they only have 6 episodes done, so my guess would be that the strike cut the season even shorter than it was already.

Hopefully I'm mistaken, and there are indeed eight... but it looks unlikely from what I'm seeing.

Assassin
Wed, 03-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Is there a bot that has it? i can't find it on charger

Munsu
Wed, 03-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Is there a bot that has it? i can't find it on charger
Already hooked you up.

By the way, the episode that aired was a bit different from the preair pilot that came out a couple of months ago. Nothing really of substance changed, but there were a couple of differences just in case any of you are interested.

Remember, new episode tomorrow.

Munsu
Thu, 03-06-2008, 01:05 AM
Sorry for the double post, but episode 2 is out:
http://www.mininova.org/tor/1221240

It probably aired on Canada first.

Assassin
Sat, 03-08-2008, 10:47 PM
The show seems to have potential, but its lacking something. It acting just seems off...it really feels like they're just acting rather then actually living that life on the show. I'll give it a few more eps before i decide whether i like it or not

Abdula
Sat, 03-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Yeah you are right the show seems like it could be an awesome show its just missing something and they don't seem to be focused. They operate so leisurely about everything you don't even know whats important. Do the cases mean anything because they seem to be more of an afterthought than anything else and trying to find his true love feels like it would be a side quest in a bad rpg rather than the driving force behind the whole story. The show could be great but it needs to be more focused, hopefully they will figure out what direction the show is going to go in. Its needs a little umph, a little spice, a little grit, everything is just too neat and tidy.

Munsu
Wed, 03-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Man, this is the most annoying interviewer I've seen in a while:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=l-imegrI5QU

Anyways, I'm liking the series... I like the whole idea of him having family all around, even some that he doesn't even know... including some from his immediate family. I'm glad that the loved ones met this soon into the series and that she recognized him right away... I was sure they were going to write the doctor as not putting two and two together and not realize that he was the guy that died. And I like the idea that she's already married... I looking forward to see what they'll do with that.

Munsu
Fri, 03-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Well, I emailed AskFox:

Question: Reports a couple of months ago said that New Amsterdam had stopped production after 8 episodes. Looking at the schedule, I see that only 6 episodes are airing. What happened to the other 2?

AskFox: All 8 are airing - tonight will be the 3rd episode - and it airs for 5 more weeks.

Kusanagi
Mon, 03-24-2008, 07:00 PM
The episode that aired last week reminded me of the old Highlander series. Every episode's plot in modern time had a flashback to the exact same plot in the past. I hope future shows don't follow that theme.

Munsu
Mon, 03-24-2008, 07:03 PM
You're right, it does remind me of Highlander in that regard... I hope they continue to do it, I think it's an interesting aspect of the series. What I like is that we get to see his whole life through flashbacks in all the episodes, and we learn what he has been doing changing form jobs to jobs etc. Most shows with immortals in them neglect this issue and don't really care about how the characters got here from where they were on the past.

Munsu
Thu, 04-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Well, last Monday was the season finale...

Although there were a few aspects I enjoyed from the series, and I liked watching it week to week, I thought it was underwhelming. I really wanted the character to take more risks in the cases, get more roughed up and beaten up. Lose an arm here and there, or end each case after being stabbed countless times or shot a few dozen times. More than that, I though the cases they did in the series were quite boring.

Other than that, I liked the drama a bit, and I really liked how "the one" was handled. I'm glad the doctor wasn't it, I thought she sucked and I didn't see it coming especially this soon into the series.

Kusanagi
Mon, 04-21-2008, 03:16 PM
That brings me to the thought, "are they going to have 'the one' tested every season, and he'll die sometime during that season just to come back to life to find out she's not 'the one' ".

That would get very boorish. It was also a very short season, I was actually enjoying the show.

Munsu
Sun, 05-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Well, no real surprises here... although I had a bit of hope, this series just got cancelled by FOX.